Official Panasonic DMP-BDT110/210/310 Owners Thread - Page 202 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6031 of 8494 Old 01-02-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a dedicated theater and all I care about is the best PQ I can get for the money. I wish I could pick up the Oppo, but at the time, money is a tad tight.

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.
My small dedicated theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 8494 Old 01-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Honestly, no better bang for the buck.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #6033 of 8494 Old 01-02-2012, 05:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoddE View Post

Ok thanks again!

One last question. Can i expect better sound quality if i use the 310 to send music to my receiver than if i would use the GT30 tv?

I don't know the GT30 but if I guess then it tells the player that it's DD2.0 only so if you extract the sound from your TV then you probably only get DD2.0 in the AVR.

If that is the case you would get much better sound by connecting the player directly to your AVR since you would get 5.1 (and 7.1 if it supports the new HD formats or 7.1 via PCM).
post #6034 of 8494 Old 01-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

I'm keeping my copy of Avatar (when it comes) which was the selling point of the 210 for me, even though it is top rated by CNET. I have a PS3 but wanted a stand alone 3D BD player and the Avatar was icing on the cake in addition to the low sale price.

I bought a bdp 210 about three weeks ago from Best Buy (canada), was I supposed to get an Avatar 3D with it?

Thanks,

atabea
post #6035 of 8494 Old 01-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Just filled out my Avatar redemption card tonight. About how long is it taking to get the copy? I thought I read ~4 weeks but can't remember if that was here.

thanks
post #6036 of 8494 Old 01-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post

Just filled out my Avatar redemption card tonight. About how long is it taking to get the copy? I thought I read ~4 weeks but can't remember if that was here.

thanks

Just checked my packageing, didn't find a "avatar redemtion card." Is this offer only in the US? Wouldn't surprise me it it was. But if anyone has knowledge of this, please let me know.

thanks

atabea
post #6037 of 8494 Old 01-02-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

thanks

3-4 weeks for me. My rebate wasn't keyed in for several weeks and I called them at the number at the Panny rebate website. I faxed them copies I made of everything and perhaps my rebate request for Avatar was misplaced but they keyed in everything from my faxed copies. I got Avatar about a week later. MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING!!! from your UPC/Serial number on the box, to the rebate form and sales receipt. it came in handy for me! it doesn't take 8-14 weeks but if you don't see your rebate at the website after 3 weeks, call them. Hope this helps.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #6038 of 8494 Old 01-02-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post

Just checked my packageing, didn't find a "avatar redemtion card." Is this offer only in the US? Wouldn't surprise me it it was. But if anyone has knowledge of this, please let me know.

thanks

atabea

It has to be purchased in the US and you have to be a US resident.
post #6039 of 8494 Old 01-02-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:

thanks

Mine came in about 4.5 weeks from the day I mailed in the redemption card.
post #6040 of 8494 Old 01-02-2012, 09:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

thanks

Got mine in about 5 weeks. Took a while for it to come up on the website as processed.
post #6041 of 8494 Old 01-02-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

If you are listening to music with CEC(Viera Link) enabled, you can turn the TV off by pressing the SUB MENU button and selecting TV OFF.

Interesting, I never played around enough to notice that. I disabled CEC relatively quickly anyway; it may be convenient in some respects, but my universal remote can handle most tasks, and I prefer having full manual control. CEC was also manipulating picture modes with my TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoddE View Post

Ok thanks again!

One last question. Can i expect better sound quality if i use the 310 to send music to my receiver than if i would use the GT30 tv?

In my situation, my receiver is pre-HDMI, and since its optical input has a bug that blanks out audio too long during track changes, I connected it to the Panny's analog audio output. In such a case, I can't say it's good or bad based on the source material (lossy MP3) anyway.

With a digital connection, I assume it's a choice between whether the BDT or TV's DAC is better at decoding the material. Given the commonality of maker, I doubt there is much difference between them, either in theory, or in audible fidelity, but those better acquainted with the vagaries of digital audio configuration might clarify.
post #6042 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Sounds like your long HDMI cable connects to the PJ is not up to task. Panasonic's have a pretty weak HDMI transiver chip and any flaw in HDMI cable (even in short runs) can cause problems.

Hi and thanks, I have tried several cables and yes it is a long 5 or 7 metre cable....I haven't spent a lot of money on the cables because I don't want to be ripped by the plethora of "digital cable" scammers. I would be more than happy to spend money though if there is one that actually works and solvers my problem. Anyone know of any proven long HDMI cables that have guaranteed signal pass characteristics.
Thanks again, Steve

PS the 809 rocks...
post #6043 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

..... MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING!!! from your UPC/Serial number on the box, to the rebate form and sales receipt. it came in handy for me! it doesn't take 8-14 weeks but if you don't see your rebate at the website after 3 weeks, call them. Hope this helps.

I completely forgot to make a copy of the Avatar post card thing. I did make a copy of the upc/serial #.

Is there a website to check the status? If so can someone link me? Or if someone has a copy of the card and can blur out their personal info, I'd take that as well.

thanks.
post #6044 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 AM

Hello and Happy New Year everyone!

I'm looking for some help on getting my downloaded and ripped movies to play on my new Panasonic DMP-BDT215. After being led to this thread, I've read a lot and have tried most of the mkvmerge converts as described here, but with no success.

It recognizes .mkv files only, but it says it cant play them when I try to play the file.

I know I haven't offered much here, but based on what I've read, this shouldn't be this hard .. So the question is, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help!
post #6045 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelcwoo View Post

Hi and thanks, I have tried several cables and yes it is a long 5 or 7 metre cable....I haven't spent a lot of money on the cables because I don't want to be ripped by the plethora of "digital cable" scammers. I would be more than happy to spend money though if there is one that actually works and solvers my problem. Anyone know of any proven long HDMI cables that have guaranteed signal pass characteristics.
Thanks again, Steve

PS the 809 rocks...

There isn't any such thing of guaranteed signal pass. official HDMI spec only applies to cable length of no more than 15ft. Anything longer is off the spec and you will have to try for yourself. If you use an AVR, try replace the short cable first as it is cheap. Forum sponsor MonoPrice.com has my vote for decent cable without being ripped off.
post #6046 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:

I completely forgot to make a copy of the Avatar post card thing. I did make a copy of the upc/serial #.

Is there a website to check the status? If so can someone link me? Or if someone has a copy of the card and can blur out their personal info, I'd take that as well.

thanks.

The blank form can be downloaded here and the web address to check the rebate status is on the form.
post #6047 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 08:36 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSources View Post

Hello and Happy New Year everyone!

I'm looking for some help on getting my downloaded and ripped movies to play on my new Panasonic DMP-BDT215. After being led to this thread, I've read a lot and have tried most of the mkvmerge converts as described here, but with no success.

It recognizes .mkv files only, but it says it cant play them when I try to play the file.

I know I haven't offered much here, but based on what I've read, this shouldn't be this hard .. So the question is, what am I doing wrong?

Happy new years to you as well.

I'm afraid file playback on these players IS hard, as has been posted repeatedly here. But it's definitely possible, though some files easier than others. Whether it's worth it depends on each user. It works well enough for me, because I only play ota/cable recordings where I have control over how the files are created. Those with existing movie archives or downloading from internet often end up buying a dedicated media player instead.

For starters, I assume you're playing from USB or network drive since you're doing MKV. With these players, MPEG files can be played through DLNA alright, anything else it's best to convert into MKV and play through network drive (or USB).

Second, if you're playing from network drive, you want to eliminate network or sharing problems when testing file compatibility. Wired is better than wifi, USB even better - just until you know your files are working.

Run your files through MKVmerge as previously posted, making sure header removal is disabled under options (BEFORE you start adding files in MKVmerge). Read all the posts about MKVmerge you can find in this thread.

I've found the most compatible MKV files came from Haali. There is an optimization option that must be disabled, search for an earlier post I wrote about it. But it's not nearly as user friendly as MKVmerge.

Finally, if your Panny won't play your MKV files, even after being re-muxed by MKVmerge or Haali, it's because the actual encode is not compatible. (Haali and MKVmerge merely "repackage" in new MKV containers, they don't actually change the video or audio encodes. That's why they are fast and preserve the original quality).

In that case you have to re-encode using tools like DVDfab, AVC (Any Video Converter) or Handbrake. This will be much slower and also lose some video quality - but since the actual video and/or audio is encoded anew, you can basically make any file playable this way. Read posts by ktm911 for expert advice on this.

I don't think there is much more to say that hasn't already been covered extensively in this thread - particularly in posts from late October through early December. After hdmi/AVR connectivity and Netflix streaming, I think this must be one of the most covered topics in here.
post #6048 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 AM

So I'm trying to decide which is better for my needs. I currently have the Panny hooked up and the sony still in the box (recognizing a good 1st step would be to hook up the Sony)...

I am adding this player so I can improve netflix resolution over the wii (have watched 2 movies so far, and it is obviously much better), and to add DLNA, with the intention of viewing pictures and movies from a laptop / 2TB hard drive on my network. The laptop runs win7, so I was hoping to use that, but could not connect, so I am using Serviio for now. So far I've been able to look at pictures, but not movies. My camcoder makes a .mts file. I've seen .mkv mentioned (after looking at posts 140-155 or so as recommended, + some other reading), but don't know waht that is.

I have had some black screen issues w/netflix so far. It seems as if Panny is better for netflix, but sony for other stuff according to the reading? I have a sony in another room that seems OK for netflix, but also on a 20 y/o 25" tube tv, so hard to compare...

If the goals (in order) are:
1. Netflix
2. Pictures / video clip viewing from networked source
3. Blu Ray / DVD watching
4. Other random internet crap.

What would be the best move?

I would also consider a xbox or PS3 if I had to, but would rather not, I have no interest / time for another gaming system, and prefer not to have to deal w/bluetooth remote on PS3.

Side note - I would prefer not to have to reformat all video clips, if possible, i.e. straight from camcorder to hard drive to being viewable. Is this possible?

Anyone else compared the two?
post #6049 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 314
You just need to hook up the sony and try it. Mine plays everything I've thrown at it via Serviio without any conversion. My panny is useless in that regard. With a lot of effort, you probably could get your mts files working on panny, but life is too short for that IMO. However, Netflix is much better on my panasonic.

As for the other random internet crap, sony has a lot more of that. Some of it is actually pretty good, like Crackle and Slacker. HERE's a good chart of the services each has.
post #6050 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterskier1018 View Post

I am adding this player so I can improve netflix resolution over the wii (have watched 2 movies so far, and it is obviously much better), and to add DLNA, with the intention of viewing pictures and movies from a laptop / 2TB hard drive on my network. The laptop runs win7, so I was hoping to use that, but could not connect, so I am using Serviio for now. So far I've been able to look at pictures, but not movies. My camcoder makes a .mts file. I've seen .mkv mentioned (after looking at posts 140-155 or so as recommended, + some other reading), but don't know waht that is.

I am very much not an expert on camcorders, so I'll leave that to others. But just briefly on some of your other questions:

1) These Panasonic players are generally not good as media players because they are very picky about what they can play. Surely you have seen posts about that.

2) I've found DLNA from Win7 to work very well and easy to set up - as long as you only play MPEG files. Anything else needs to be transcoded by the DLNA server before sent to the Panny, and results will be mediocre at best.

3) When I've said to read posts about file playback starting around page 145-150, I meant STARTING there. It was a discussion that evolved from late October and lasted for many weeks, probably into early December, where members spend time researching and testing exactly what files would play on the Pannys - and how to make these files. Before that, consensus here was that it was completely random which files would play and that the device basically didn't work as media player. At least now we know WHAT plays. And it's documented in that discussion.

I think whether to keep the Panny or the Sony depends on how important media playback is for you. The Panny is a great disc player and internet streamer, but not a good file player.
post #6051 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenborg View Post

3) When I've said to read posts about file playback starting around page 145-150...

I use the maximum 60 post/page--this is page 101. Just FYI .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #6052 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsidlov View Post

I stand corrected. I just noticed that the unit was changed to a simulation 5.1 which changed the speaker graphics on it's display.

What speaker graphics display are you referring to? My receiver shows DD 5.1 when playing disks or streaming Netflix but not for Amazon.
post #6053 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterskier1018 View Post

My camcoder makes a .mts file. ....
Side note - I would prefer not to have to reformat all video clips, if possible, i.e. straight from camcorder to hard drive to being viewable. Is this possible?

The .mts file from your camcorder is known as AVCHD video which is one of the few formats Panny player supports natively. You don't have to covnert or put it into any container format (like mkv). You can play it back in many ways: directly from the SD card, burn an AVCHD DVD disc, or streaming from PC. The later requires your PC streaming server be able to recognize and support .mts files. Win7 natively supports it. So if you can properly configure your PC to let your player connect to it, you should have no problem play these files in all its HD glory.
post #6054 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I use the maximum 60 post/page--this is page 101. Just FYI .

Come on, Mike, give me a break now. I acknowledged your last comment about this already and responded (in several posts now) that the discussion I refer to starts in late October (around page 145 with the default page size - whatever that is).

The specific post that you quote this time was in response to waterskier's question, who himself referred to pages 145-150. I think he understood what I meant.
post #6055 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Hey--it was a joke! Didn't you see the "big grin" emoticon?

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #6056 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Hey--it was a joke! Didn't you see the "big grin" emoticon?

Yeah, I saw your smiley. OK, ok, then. I guess I just got a bit touchy because it was the second time in as many days that you called me out on this - and I'd made a point since your first call to mention the date range in my posts as well.

I suppose I'm too easy. No worries ;-)
post #6057 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrider101 View Post

What speaker graphics display are you referring to? My receiver shows DD 5.1 when playing disks or streaming Netflix but not for Amazon.

Amazon doesn't stream 5.1 with the Panasonic, which was his mistake from his previous post. He has his receiver, as do I, set to PLII.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #6058 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Amazon doesn't stream 5.1 with the Panasonic, which was his mistake from his previous post. He has his receiver, as do I, set to PLII.

S~

Thanks, PLII is what I use also. Frustrating since two other devices I have will stream 5.1, but I like the Panasonic format better.
post #6059 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 02:44 PM

Hey Branden - Thanks for the response. I did try handbrake as well - I ended up with the same result as MKVmerge. I guess my sources, which I get from showrss/eztv aren't good enough.

Glad to know that the problem may not totally be me

I may just give up at this point since I'm not sure a ton of effort is worth getting this to work vs. just connecting my laptop to the TV and watching them this way. I thought when I purchased this player I'd be able to keep my laptop on my lap and watch movies at the same time.. I should have searched around before making the purchase..

Thanks again Branden! You are really a lot of help!
post #6060 of 8494 Old 01-03-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post

thanks

atabea

Looks like the offer in Canada was only for 3D displays and not also for the 3D BD Players like in the US and here in Sweden.

https://panasonic.ca/english/promoti...atar/index.asp
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt110 3d 2d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Movies , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Dmp Bdt100 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Receivers Amplifiers , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Panasonic 1080p Blu Ray Player Dmp Bd35ak Brand , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - P50gt30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page