post #6361 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsloud View Post

-The Panny loads slower and louder, but plays quieter.

It "loads slower"? Are you referring to disc play start-up? The BDTx10s are widely thought to have pretty much the fastest BD disc start ever. Have you timed the two starting the same disc or is that you subjective opinion?
Quote:

I have not tried NetFlix or Hulu Plus but set them up. I have a X-box 360 that I use for those in that room, much nicer interface for both compared to any Blu-Ray player I have had.

You might want to try the Viera Connect Netflix player app. Of six devices I own with Netflix players, including an Xbox S, PS3 and Roku 2, it's interface is hands down my favorite. You can see 10 cover thumbs at the same time, there are more genre and subgenres than in any other interface and the genre lists can have 250 titles. Driven by a much less powerful processor than the Xbox, menu navigation is less smooth, but because of that much less powerful processor it draws 10 Watts or less in operation and has no fan. Depending upon the model of Xbox you're using, you'll use 80-180 Watts and the older models can get noisy as they heat up. (Plus I hate the new Xbox Netflix interface with a burning passion that will never grow dim or cold --the previous one was one of my favorites).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After following this thread and seeing that many of you are having issues with Netflix, my question is...

Why do you even care about Netflix in the first place?

They do not offer the latest releases. This months releases will be available on Netflix in around a year from now. What they do have, is the same old movies that everyone has seen a million times already and are sick of.

So, why Netflix?

I signed up for my free Netflix trial and when I saw the crap movies that they were offering (many old and outdated), I cancelled my subscription within 5 minutes.

So now, here's what I do and a good alternative to those interested...

Vudu.

They have the latest new releases the day they come out, in full 1080P and also have 3D titles as well. I've never had any problem with streaming movies from them. You don't need a subscription, just pay for the movie you want when you want it.

So again, my question is...
What's so good about Netflix?
post #6363 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Why Netflix? Because Vudu is too expensive. My cable/sat provider has the same titles for the same price and better quality. Redbox and BB Express are better PQ and much cheaper, although you have to wait for new releases. One month of unlimited Netflix only costs a little more than a single Vudu rental. Granted most of Netflix's catalog is crap, but it's great for catching up on TV series and classics that are hard to find elsewhere.

I would only consider Vudu if I didn't have cable/sat or was unable to leave my house or they dropped their prices.
post #6364 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buonforte View Post

Troll much ? You've tried Netflix and if it's not worth $8/month for you they, hey--nobody's forcing to subscribe. Like anything else, the fact that I like it doesn't mean that you have to. Given that they have several million streaming only subs (they were estimating 22 million by the end of Q4), obviously there are many people who like it. And you can't validly compare a pay-per-view VOD service like VUDU to Netflix's all-you-can-eat-for-$8-month buffet plan. The only service which can be said to compete with it now is Amazon Prime Instant Video, which is certainly no better.

In any case our comments on Netflix have centered on the BDTx10s' player's strengths, weaknesses and bugs. A discussion of "what's so good about Netflix" is way the hell off topic (in a thread that already heavily spammed with tons of the same questions asked dozens of times). Let's not and just tell people that we did .

post #6365 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Why Netflix? Because Vudu is too expensive. My cable/sat provider has the same titles for the same price and better quality. Redbox and BB Express are better PQ and much cheaper, although you have to wait for new releases. One month of unlimited Netflix only costs a little more than a single Vudu rental. Granted most of Netflix's catalog is crap, but it's great for catching up on TV series and classics that are hard to find elsewhere.

I would only consider Vudu if I didn't have cable/sat or was unable to leave my house or they dropped their prices.

I don't subscribe to cable or satelite. I have a good outdoor antenna for all my local channels in HD and use HuluPlus for everything else and Vudu for when I want to rent a new release but I usually buy all my movies. Why pay $100 to cable or direcTV. This setup gives me everything I need. To my knowledge, Vudu is the only one that has 3D rentals and they look great.

I'm not trying to bash anyone using Netflix, I just couldn't see what all the fuss is, about seeing old movies, that is, if you can even stream them which is what so many of you are complaining about. I also have a 210 and have not had any issues. Great player.
post #6366 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm not trying to bash anyone using Netflix, I just couldn't see what all the fuss is, about seeing old movies, that is, if you can even stream them which is what so many of you are complaining about. I also have a 210 and have not had any issues. Great player.

You should check out the "Netflix vs. Hulu Plus vs. VUDU" thread in the Video Download Services & Hardware forum. The OP of that thread is asking "what so good about" any of the three and gets some interesting responses.

post #6367 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 04:08 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Setup menu is on the splash screen when you turn on the player.

S~

Thanks so much!!

Finally got it. Bourne Ultimatum is now playing in lossless ( I assume) DTS-HD MSTR. Strange they set it up to automatically convert everything to DD or just standard DTS. Cheers!
post #6368 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Troll much ? You've tried Netflix and if it's not worth $8/month for you they, hey--nobody's forcing to subscribe. Like anything else, the fact that I like it doesn't mean that you have to. Given that they have several million streaming only subs (they were estimating 22 million by the end of Q4), obviously there are many people who like it. And you can't validly compare a pay-per-view VOD service like VUDU to Netflix's all-you-can-eat-for-$8-month buffet plan. The only service which can be said to compete with it now is Amazon Prime Instant Video, which is certainly no better.

In any case our comments on Netflix have centered on the BDTx10s' player's strengths, weaknesses and bugs. A discussion of "what's so good about Netflix" is way the hell off topic (in a thread that already heavily spammed with tons of the same questions asked dozens of times). Let's not and just tell people that we did .

Mike, you sound like an intelligent guy. You certainly have a lot of posts to your credit. I take you as the kind of guy that has a State-Of-The-Art Home Theater system. A fantastic display and full blown 7.1 surround sound. Probably, top notch names.

Therefore, I cannot understand why someone of your status, would even consider using Netflix. I would think that you would only buy/rent HD/blu ray movies. Do you really care that it's only 8.00 a month? There's a reason it's only $8 a month. Like anything else, you get what you pay for.
post #6369 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:

You should check out the "Netflix vs. Hulu Plus vs. VUDU" thread in the Video Download Services & Hardware forum. The OP of that thread is asking "what so good about" any of the three and gets some interesting responses.

Thanks Mike, I'll check that out.
post #6370 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrmedic707 View Post

Thanks so much!!

Finally got it. Bourne Ultimatum is now playing in lossless ( I assume) DTS-HD MSTR. Strange they set it up to automatically convert everything to DD or just standard DTS. Cheers!

You're welcome. Enjoy your player.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #6371 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrmedic707 View Post

Strange they set it up to automatically convert everything to DD or just standard DTS. Cheers!

Because they want you to hear the menu sound, PIP audio and director's crappy comments. Most ppl will call for support if they can't hear those sounds but they won't know that they didn't get lossless audio.
post #6372 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Therefore, I cannot understand why someone of your status, would even consider using Netflix.

Remember, streaming is practically free until last summer. And some new movies DO show up at the same time as disc show up, not a year later.
post #6373 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

It "loads slower"? Are you referring to disc play start-up? The BDTx10s are widely thought to have pretty much the fastest BD disc start ever. Have you timed the two starting the same disc or is that you subjective opinion?
You might want to try the Viera Connect Netflix player app. Of six devices I own with Netflix players, including an Xbox S, PS3 and Roku 2, it's interface is hands down my favorite. You can see 10 cover thumbs at the same time, there are more genre and subgenres than in any other interface and the genre lists can have 250 titles. Driven by a much less powerful processor than the Xbox, menu navigation is less smooth, but because of that much less powerful processor it draws 10 Watts or less in operation and has no fan. Depending upon the model of Xbox you're using, you'll use 80-180 Watts and the older models can get noisy as they heat up. (Plus I hate the new Xbox Netflix interface with a burning passion that will never grow dim or cold --the previous one was one of my favorites).

I have not timed it, I put the 570 in the kids room so I probably could. The few discs I played in the Panny I saw load screens I never had to see on the Sony.

I don't mind the new NetFlix on the 360, my only gripe is that with Kinect if you want to go up or down a genre, you can't just swipe your hand like going side to side.

Quote:

After following this thread and seeing that many of you are having issues with Netflix, my question is...

Why do you even care about Netflix in the first place?

For me I barely watch it outside of some martial arts movies. I have 3 kids between 2 and 7. There are a lot of good programs on there for them (I don't have pay TV), Dora, Sesame Street, Veggie Tales, and then some. My wife watches a lot of older TV series on it as well.

We only use it for streaming as well as Hulu Plus, we are in Blockbuster Total Access for physical media.
post #6374 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsloud View Post

I have not timed it, I put the 570 in the kids room so I probably could. The few discs I played in the Panny I saw load screens I never had to see on the Sony.

I had Sony S570 briefly. It is faster when powering on than my Panny 110. But actual loading a disc is probably slower. Panny was rated fastest for loading discs, that is without count in the internet download most discs require you to do. So, when you compare both, make sure they are compared the same way, e.g. both connected (or not connected) to internet.
post #6375 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Mike, you sound like an intelligent guy. You certainly have a lot of posts to your credit. I take you as the kind of guy that has a State-Of-The-Art Home Theater system. A fantastic display and full blown 7.1 surround sound. Probably, top notch names.

Therefore, I cannot understand why someone of your status, would even consider using Netflix. I would think that you would only buy/rent HD/blu ray movies. Do you really care that it's only 8.00 a month? There's a reason it's only $8 a month. Like anything else, you get what you pay for.

I responded to this here, resurrecting the "Netflix vs. Hulu Plus vs. VUDU" thread.

post #6376 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 06:52 PM

I see where the discrete Power commands for IR are posted but does anyone have these for the TCP/IP approach?
post #6377 of 8510 Old 01-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
With their 2012 dvd line up coming out, will it be the end of firmware upgrades fot the 210 When was the last one.
post #6378 of 8510 Old 01-20-2012, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post

With their 2012 dvd line up coming out, will it be the end of firmware upgrades fot the 210 When was the last one.

Doubtful. Panasonic is very good at supporting their discontinued players. They released firmware for the 30 and 50 in November.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #6379 of 8510 Old 01-20-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashenden View Post

I see where the discrete Power commands for IR are posted but does anyone have these for the TCP/IP approach?

I'd quite like the IR commands? But couldn't actually find those last time I looked?
post #6380 of 8510 Old 01-20-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I posted them in this thread a couple of months ago. Search my name and pronto hex.

Since the IP commands came from the iPhone app and it doesn't have discretes, I'm afraid the only way to find them is trial and error.
post #6381 of 8510 Old 01-20-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I posted them in this thread a couple of months ago. Search my name and pronto hex.

Since the IP commands came from the iPhone app and it doesn't have discretes, I'm afraid the only way to find them is trial and error.

I was afraid of that. Trial and error has not been lucky yet - too many words in the English language

I tried Pwr_Off, Power_Off and a few other close derivatives, but no success yet.

If anyone figures this out, please post the commands.
post #6382 of 8510 Old 01-20-2012, 06:16 PM

ok, im getting the stupid black/flashes streaming netflix, but theyre tolerable.....now i have hulu plus as well, and i havent tried it yet, but it seems more TV oriented (except for criterion movies?)

is there a streaming hd calibration on netflix or hulu plus? i wanted to buy the br dvd from amazon but its like $60 and unless i sell avatar that might be a lil while to buy...or can u rent them?

also, am i supposed to update my 210 somehow?
post #6383 of 8510 Old 01-20-2012, 07:57 PM

I live in the US, but I'm trying to buy the Canadian version of the BDT210 so that I can play DivX movies... However, I'm having trouble finding the Canadian ones online. Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks
post #6384 of 8510 Old 01-20-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem158 View Post

I live in the US, but I'm trying to buy the Canadian version of the BDT210 so that I can play DivX movies... However, I'm having trouble finding the Canadian ones online. Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks

i might be able to help. i googled it and theres a guy in NYC selling the canadian one for divx support, but his price is $180+$20shipping+tax, but i will look more for you,

in the meantime, do you want me to email him to ask if i pickup locally if he can discount without tax and shipping and ship to you instead?
post #6385 of 8510 Old 01-20-2012, 10:46 PM

Just finished watching a movie on netflix. No flashes that I could see. I think it's an intermittent thing and more of a minor occasional annoyance than an actual problem. It'd be nice if Panny figured out how to fix it but I wouldn't call it a dealbreaker.........yet.
post #6386 of 8510 Old 01-21-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by un55d6000 View Post

i might be able to help. i googled it and theres a guy in NYC selling the canadian one for divx support, but his price is $180+$20shipping+tax, but i will look more for you,

in the meantime, do you want me to email him to ask if i pickup locally if he can discount without tax and shipping and ship to you instead?

Thanks, but I was looking more for a Canadian Electronics website or something of that nature...
post #6387 of 8510 Old 01-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone experience any frame dropping or studdering when watching streaming Netflix? My Samsung 6900 is a great blu ray player, but seems to not handle Netflix too well; and i have an Ethernet connection so speed is not an issue.

"It's time to nut up or shut up."
post #6388 of 8510 Old 01-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

I've had a 210 for a couple of weeks now so I thought I'd post my impressions.

BD and DVD Playback is pretty well perfect. The only "gotcha" I've found is knowing to get the settings right. The default settings seem to be for lowest common denominator TVs and AVRs. If you're TV and AVR support it I recommend checking you have the following setup right.

Audio:
Bitstream "On" for Dolby TrueHD and DTS/DTS-HD
Secondary Audio "Off"

HDMI Connection:
24p Output "On"

For streaming services I found it to be a pretty good streamer with some caveats.

Netflix: The UI is a little sluggish and you will get a black flash when Netflix changes it's stream quality during playback. If you've got a stable, wired internet connection you might never see this problem or only during the first few seconds of a show while Netflix ramps up your speed.

Amazon: The UI is only fair and 5.1 audio is not supported on this device. Amazon will loose my business because of it and I'm a Prime Member. Video quality is very good and stable though.

Vudu: Good UI and if you've got the bandwidth for HDX you'll get better audio and video quality than your cable box or really anything but a BD disc. It's relatively expensive though.

Hulu+: Nice to know it's there but I won't pay a monthly fee to watch commercials.

Others: The weather app is nice but don't have much use for the other services offered. ESPN3 would be a nice add.

DNLA: It's finicky, supports very limited file types and is confusing both UI wise and for setup. If you're thinking this is going to be a local file playback solution look elsewhere.

All in all I'm quite happy with the player for my needs. A firmware update to add Amazon 5.1 audio and fix the Netflix flash would make it just about perfect as a streamer. It's already there for disc playback.
post #6389 of 8510 Old 01-21-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post

I've had a 210 for a couple of weeks now so I thought I'd post my impressions.

BD and DVD Playback is pretty well perfect. The only "gotcha" I've found is knowing to get the settings right. The default settings seem to be for lowest common denominator TVs and AVRs. If you're TV and AVR support it I recommend checking you have the following setup right.

Audio:
Bitstream "On" for Dolby TrueHD and DTS/DTS-HD
Secondary Audio "Off"

HDMI Connection:
24p Output "On"

For streaming services I found it to be a pretty good streamer with some caveats.

Netflix: The UI is a little sluggish and you will get a black flash when Netflix changes it's stream quality during playback. If you've got a stable, wired internet connection you might never see this problem or only during the first few seconds of a show while Netflix ramps up your speed.

Amazon: The UI is only fair and 5.1 audio is not supported on this device. Amazon will loose my business because of it and I'm a Prime Member. Video quality is very good and stable though.

Vudu: Good UI and if you've got the bandwidth for HDX you'll get better audio and video quality than your cable box or really anything but a BD disc. It's relatively expensive though.

Hulu+: Nice to know it's there but I won't pay a monthly fee to watch commercials.

Others: The weather app is nice but don't have much use for the other services offered. ESPN3 would be a nice add.

DNLA: It's finicky, supports very limited file types and is confusing both UI wise and for setup. If you're thinking this is going to be a local file playback solution look elsewhere.

All in all I'm quite happy with the player for my needs. A firmware update to add Amazon 5.1 audio and fix the Netflix flash would make it just about perfect as a streamer. It's already there for disc playback.

Regarding DLNA, not sure if you saw my earlier posts but there's a media server called Mezzmo that so far seems to work perfectly for it. Before I got the 210 I was using Tversity with my PS3. I had to do a lot of research to find something that would work with the Panny and stumbled across Mezzmo. The set up was a piece of cake on both the server end and on the 210. It costs 30 bucks but it does have a free 15 day trial period. I'd recommend at least checking it out.
post #6390 of 8510 Old 01-21-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

... although Mezzmo works, keep in mind it's transcoding nearly everything, resulting in reduced quality. So getting a player that can handle more formats natively in the first place is a better choice. I love may panny for discs and Netflix, but my sony is a much better file streamer.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt110 3d 2d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Movies , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Dmp Bdt100 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Receivers Amplifiers , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Panasonic 1080p Blu Ray Player Dmp Bd35ak Brand , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - P50gt30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page