Official Panasonic DMP-BDT110/210/310 Owners Thread - Page 220 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6571 of 8474 Old 02-01-2012, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was previously questioning why my mkv files weren't playing via Dlna (ps3 media server) but now in starting to think maybe it is because I have the settings setup to keep the dts audio in the file when transcoding. I am going to not select that tonight when I'm home and force it to transcode to ac3 or another audio that we know it should support. What hd video and audio file types do we know for certain it plays? I know the player recognizes my a/g/n wireless networks so am I safe in assuming the device supports all 3 network types as well. I'd love to be able to use wireless n transfer speeds to this. It's the one big drawback of the ps3 or I'd still be using that for streaming.

Foxbat121- what Dlna server are you using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 8474 Old 02-01-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahby View Post

I was previously questioning why my mkv files weren't playing via Dlna (ps3 media server) but now in starting to think maybe it is because I have the settings setup to keep the dts audio in the file when transcoding. I am going to not select that tonight when I'm home and force it to transcode to ac3 or another audio that we know it should support. What hd video and audio file types do we know for certain it plays? I know the player recognizes my a/g/n wireless networks so am I safe in assuming the device supports all 3 network types as well. I'd love to be able to use wireless n transfer speeds to this. It's the one big drawback of the ps3 or I'd still be using that for streaming.

Foxbat121- what Dlna server are you using?

All the information you need is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

I'm using nothing but WM7 built-in feature for DLNA streaming. It transcodes most formats that Panny don't support but transcoding quality is low.
post #6573 of 8474 Old 02-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I don't know that there's any time limit. Someone reported that it took him less than a day to sell a copy early this month; I'd be surprised if your's took more than a day or two.

Hmmm.. Looks like I am just in time for the price to start dropping.

Wonder if it's smart to list on ebay and if it doesn't sell through Amazon when the ebay auction is over I can pull it (from Amazon).
post #6574 of 8474 Old 02-01-2012, 04:10 PM

How low are we talking? Like going from 1080p to 480p or just lower bit rate on 1080p?
post #6575 of 8474 Old 02-01-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How low are we talking? Like going from 1080p to 480p or just lower bit rate on 1080p?

It depends on the bitrate and CPU horse power. Can't tell the actual resolution but it is like HD->SD. You don't want transcoding of any kind.
post #6576 of 8474 Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 PM

hi i just got the panasonic 210 and i have tried to setup the network drive , but i'm having trouble can someone please help me.
post #6577 of 8474 Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 PM

search would be a good place to start.
post #6578 of 8474 Old 02-01-2012, 08:00 PM

Liked: 21
Exactly. Or just read the last few days' posts.
post #6579 of 8474 Old 02-01-2012, 09:32 PM

I'm persistent: how do I program the 210/215 remote to work with a samsung tv?
post #6580 of 8474 Old 02-01-2012, 09:48 PM

Ok I've been taking the advice here to remux my files rather than transcode. So far I have tsremuxer, mkvmerge/mkvtoolnix GUI, this mc-tvconverter you listed. What I ultimately want to do is load an mkv file and remux it to a file that the bdt210 natively accepts. Previously for my ps3 I remuxed to m2ts but the 210 doesn't play those. The file I am trying to remux has multiple audio tracks that I want to remove and I only want to keep the true hd English track and then remux it to something that the 210 will accept. I keep reading through the past posts and I know what I need to do I'm just having trouble getting there
post #6581 of 8474 Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

I don't think it's possible. It only works with panasonic TVs. I wish I could make it work with my Mitsubishi, but no go. It has been mentioned a few times that previous Panny remotes DID work with other TVs - and still work with these players. But they don't have a NetFlix button.

Finally there is VieraLink which lets the Panny and TV control each other through CEC HDMI Control (I forget the official name of this standard, all vendors use their own names to make you think it's unique to their devices - which would be almost defy its purpose).
post #6582 of 8474 Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:

Ok I've been taking the advice here to remux my files rather than transcode. So far I have tsremuxer, mkvmerge/mkvtoolnix GUI, this mc-tvconverter you listed. What I ultimately want to do is load an mkv file and remux it to a file that the bdt210 natively accepts. Previously for my ps3 I remuxed to m2ts but the 210 doesn't play those. The file I am trying to remux has multiple audio tracks that I want to remove and I only want to keep the true hd English track and then remux it to something that the 210 will accept. I keep reading through the past posts and I know what I need to do I'm just having trouble getting there

Mkvmerge is your best option for re-muxing. Look for my post to igmayka over the last few days. They contain links to the posts from Nov that you want to study.

Some video or audio tracks simply may not be compatible with the panny and must be re-encoded using tools like Handbrake, DVDFab, AVC or others. Look for posts by ktm911 on this subject, starting in late Oct.

Also, make sure you understand the difference between DLNA and Network Drive and when to use one or the other. Also described in my posts to igmayka. (Gosh, I think it was only yesterday, then someone else the day before, etc, etc ;-)

Edit: I just checked, I already posted a link to you when we discussed network drive. I remember now. If you follow that link it tells you exactly what to do to remux with Mkvmerge so that it will play through network drive. Once you load a file in mkvmerge, you can uncheck any audio tracks you don't want. It's very straightforward. Mkvmerge also has a help file, a decent one too.

Keep reading, you'll figure it out.
post #6583 of 8474 Old 02-02-2012, 02:18 AM

Not surprised. There's no documentation about it in the manual. I just hoped it could be done anyway.

This player can be a bit frustrating: doesn't accept my flash drive, can't operate tv functions in even a rudimentary fashion, a bit noisier than average, etc.

However, there is it's glorious, sterling picture quality. This player is an easy, hands down winner in the $500 and below price range(s); I'd only consider an oppo for it's supposedly stellar build quality. But does it deliver 4X the performance and value of this panasonic? Not for me, it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenborg View Post

I don't think it's possible. It only works with panasonic TVs. I wish I could make it work with my Mitsubishi, but no go. It has been mentioned a few times that previous Panny remotes DID work with other TVs - and still work with these players. But they don't have a NetFlix button.

Finally there is VieraLink which lets the Panny and TV control each other through CEC HDMI Control (I forget the official name of this standard, all vendors use their own names to make you think it's unique to their devices - which would be almost defy its purpose).

post #6584 of 8474 Old 02-02-2012, 06:10 AM

Hi guys, I hope someone can help me.

I have the 310, my TV is a samsung PS59D6900.

Here's the thing, set to output 4:2:2, when watching a 3D blu-ray, it seems the player isn't outputting blue, so everything looks yellow (I verified this by selecting RGB mode on my tv, red and yellow both show the picture but blue is just black). Switching to 4:4:4 everything is fine picture wise, but the player downgrades dolby true-hd to dolby digital. So due to this very strange error I have to make a choice between the two.

Anyone have any idea why this may be? I see two solutions, resolve the fact it won't output any blue in 3D at 4:2:2, or why it is downgrading dolby trueHD when in 4:4:4 (perhaps that is bandwidth related.)

I've been playing with all the settings I can think of on both the TV and player, and I've tried connecting the player directly to the TV but the colour issue remains.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
post #6585 of 8474 Old 02-02-2012, 06:14 AM

thanks teach for your help. just to let others know when you hook u your unit to a tv or projector that doesnt have speakers. the answer is the optical cable output to your receiver. there may be settings in the receiver menu that needs to recognize the optical input.. it works with everything 2d 3d and 2d to 3d conversion.
post #6586 of 8474 Old 02-02-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fujisawa View Post

Here's the thing, set to output 4:2:2, when watching a 3D blu-ray, it seems the player isn't outputting blue, so everything looks yellow (I verified this by selecting RGB mode on my tv, red and yellow both show the picture but blue is just black). Switching to 4:4:4 everything is fine picture wise, but the player downgrades dolby true-hd to dolby digital. So due to this very strange error I have to make a choice between the two.

Anyone have any idea why this may be? I see two solutions, resolve the fact it won't output any blue in 3D at 4:2:2, or why it is downgrading dolby trueHD when in 4:4:4 (perhaps that is bandwidth related.)

I've been playing with all the settings I can think of on both the TV and player, and I've tried connecting the player directly to the TV but the colour issue remains.

Thanks!

Not sure what happens there with the color issue. Probably a compatibility issue between your Sammy TV and the player. You need set both the TV and the player at the same setting.

You didn't mention your AVR you used (obviously you have one in order to get TrueHD). The downgrade of TrueHD to DD 5.1 is probably due to the limitation of your AVR which may chose to drop TrueHD support when it needs to process/ pass 4:4:4 video. In turn, through HDMI handshake, the player will be told to not output TrueHD audio.
post #6587 of 8474 Old 02-02-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Not sure what happens there with the color issue. Probably a compatibility issue between your Sammy TV and the player. You need set both the TV and the player at the same setting.

You didn't mention your AVR you used (obviously you have one in order to get TrueHD). The downgrade of TrueHD to DD 5.1 is probably due to the limitation of your AVR which may chose to drop TrueHD support when it needs to process/ pass 4:4:4 video. In turn, through HDMI handshake, the player will be told to not output TrueHD audio.

It's a Yamaha rx-v1067. Can't see anything to suggest it is doing anything, have checked all the options there too. This isn't an issue with DTS-MA, just TrueHD :S

As for the colour issue, I'm pretty stumped, I can't see anything on the TV I can change, and it's so strange that it's only in 3D.
post #6588 of 8474 Old 02-02-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

Hey Fujisawa,

My 110 suffers a somewhat related issue when connected to my Mitsubishi HDMI 1.3 TV: HDMI audio is lost in some VieraConnect apps when Deep Color in enabled and Color Mode is set to YCbCr 4:4:4. If I reduce Color Mode to 4:2:2 OR disable Deep Color, the issue goes away. I tried everything, even some weird tricks that I discovered.

You can see my original post about it here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20526638

I believe these players have some flaws in their HDMI implementation that show up at max bandwidth.

Seriously though, you can reduce Color Mode to YCbCr 4:2:2 and you very likely will not notice. The effects of chroma subsampling are very subtle -- that's why it is an effective form of compression. It's just a matter of whether the player or your TV should add the missing data, it's gonna be added either way.

Some people even argue that YCbCr 4:2:2 is the more "correct" and "pure" setting because BD and streaming content is only YCbCr 4:2:0 anyway. That's a whole different discussion that I don't want to get into now (this is NOT a trolling attempt, I know the theories and read the same reviews and articles )

My point is merely that dropping to 4:2:2 isn't so bad.

Edit: I just re-read your post. Silly me, it's the other way round for you: 4:2:2 is causing the bigger problem (color shift) whereas 4:4:4 "merely" causes a drop in audio quality. I apologize. Still, I suspect it's the same HDMI flaw I am experiencing that may be causing your problems.

I assume you already checked the different 3D settings on the Panny. Otherwise maybe try a different HDMI cable. No doubt you ARE running at max bandwidth here. Also, as Foxbat mentioned, make sure Color Mode settings match the TV: Both should be either YCbCr OR RGB. I am sorry, you knew of that course...
post #6589 of 8474 Old 02-02-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenborg View Post

Hey Fujisawa,

My 110 suffers a somewhat related issue when connected to my Mitsubishi HDMI 1.3 TV: HDMI audio is lost in some VieraConnect apps when Deep Color in enabled and Color Mode is set to YCbCr 4:4:4. If I reduce Color Mode to 4:2:2 OR disable Deep Color, the issue goes away. I tried everything, even some weird tricks that I discovered.

You can see my original post about it here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20526638

I believe these players have some flaws in their HDMI implementation that show up at max bandwidth.

Seriously though, you can reduce Color Mode to YCbCr 4:2:2 and you very likely will not notice. The effects of chroma subsampling are very subtle -- that's why it is an effective form of compression. It's just a matter of whether the player or your TV should add the missing data, it's gonna be added either way.

Some people even argue that YCbCr 4:2:2 is the more "correct" and "pure" setting because BD and streaming content is only YCbCr 4:2:0 anyway. That's a whole different discussion that I don't want to get into now (this is NOT a trolling attempt, I know the theories and read the same reviews and articles )

My point is merely that dropping to 4:2:2 isn't so bad.

Edit: I just re-read your post. Silly me, it's the other way round for you: 4:2:2 is causing the bigger problem (color shift) whereas 4:4:4 "merely" causes a drop in audio quality. I apologize. Still, I suspect it's the same HDMI flaw I am experiencing that may be causing your problems.

I assume you already checked the different 3D settings on the Panny. Otherwise maybe try a different HDMI cable. No doubt you ARE running at max bandwidth here. Also, as Foxbat mentioned, make sure Color Mode settings match the TV: Both should be either YCbCr OR RGB. I am sorry, you knew of course...

Thanks for the reply. The TV settings shouldn't be the issue as the TV just adapts to whatever it's fed. In 2D it's fine, its just when the player switches to 3D that it happens. Quite possibly a bug in either the player or the TV
post #6590 of 8474 Old 02-02-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. The TV settings shouldn't be the issue as the TV just adapts to whatever it's fed. In 2D it's fine, its just when the player switches to 3D that it happens. Quite possibly a bug in either the player or the TV

I understand, but clearly something in this automatic adapting, that was supposed to happen, is not working right. It takes two to have an HDMI handshake problem.

If your TV has manual Color Mode settings, I would definitely try to set matching modes manually in both. That's the first thing I would try.

Next I would check which type of 3D signal the TV wants and set that manually on the Panny. Maybe even set the output resolution manually on the Panny.

Then I'd try another HDMI cable.
post #6591 of 8474 Old 02-02-2012, 08:46 PM

Hi guys, I have a samsung pn51d8000 tv and the panny dmp-bdt310. I finally got a 3d movie and what I want to know it how can I watch the blu ray without the black bars on top and bottom. Is there a zoom function on this blu ray player?
post #6592 of 8474 Old 02-03-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
There seems to be scant information on the key or "best" settings for the Panasonic BD-210 (yea, I did a search). So from you owners and lingerers on this thread, I sure would appreciate some discussion specifically on what you have found as the best settings (what works well, and what does not, under various applications).
I have ordered the BD-210 and look forward to receiving it, maybe today. From combing info, I seem to have gleaned just a couple of things (you guys MAY "blow this up")...most seem to set "Super resolution" to off or "0"...most seem to set "advanced chroma" to "OFF"...and lastly under picture options, they seem to set that to "standard". Comments please ! Any other recommendations appreciated.
post #6593 of 8474 Old 02-03-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

It's not worth it. Instead of fussing with incompatible firmware do what I did: buy a Logitech Harmony remote and use it to control both devices.
post #6594 of 8474 Old 02-03-2012, 03:19 PM

How good is the Youtube app on the BDT210? Are you able to watch HD youtube videos? can you search for any video just like in a browser?
post #6595 of 8474 Old 02-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by yipiti View Post

How good is the Youtube app on the BDT210? Are you able to watch HD youtube videos? can you search for any video just like in a browser?

I have the 110, essentially the same unit & yes you can watch YouTube videos when they are available in HD. While the Search function isn't as agile as you would find on your PC/laptop - it works well enough to locate the file you are looking for.

post #6596 of 8474 Old 02-03-2012, 07:35 PM

I guess my biggest question is this, if I am setup as a network drive, then wouldnt it only be showing me mkvs that are playable through my 210. If that's the case and I have these mkv files that the system recognizes and accepts (they are not greyed out) I cannot explain the stuttering since its not transcoding and the network can easily handle even the peak bit rates.
post #6597 of 8474 Old 02-03-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

I have the 110, essentially the same unit & yes you can watch YouTube videos when they are available in HD. While the Search function isn't as agile as you would find on your PC/laptop - it works well enough to locate the file you are looking for.

Thanks.

Do you know if the BDT210 comes with a 220v adapter?
Also is that true that the remote control of the BDT210 is small thus have very small buttons that makes it hard to press the correct button?
post #6598 of 8474 Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:

I guess my biggest question is this, if I am setup as a network drive, then wouldnt it only be showing me mkvs that are playable through my 210. If that's the case and I have these mkv files that the system recognizes and accepts (they are not greyed out) I cannot explain the stuttering since its not transcoding and the network can easily handle even the peak bit rates.

It can happen if you're on wifi. I know, you get 54 Mbps, and it shouldn't be a problem, and everything else works fine on wifi etc, etc. But latency is much higher on wifi and the Panny is very sensitive to that. A wired connection makes a big difference.

That's not to say that it couldn't also be a file compatibility problem. But at least try a wired connection so you're not wasting time trying to fix the files if the problem is really your connection.

That's what I would try first, anyway.

Edit: It lists all mkv files, regardless of whether they are playable or not.
post #6599 of 8474 Old 02-03-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yipiti View Post

Do you know if the BDT210 comes with a 220v adapter?

My 110 (US) is 120V, not switching mode, unfortunately. No adapter.
post #6600 of 8474 Old 02-03-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
There seems to be scant information on the key or "best" settings for the Panasonic BD-210 (yea, I did a search). So from you owners and lingerers on this thread, I sure would appreciate some discussion specifically on what you have found as the best settings (what works well, and what does not, under various applications).
I have ordered the BD-210 and look forward to receiving it, maybe today. From combing info, I seem to have gleaned just a couple of things (you guys MAY "blow this up")...most seem to set "Super resolution" to off or "0"...most seem to set "advanced chroma" to "OFF"...and lastly under picture options, they seem to set that to "standard". Comments please ! Any other recommendations appreciated.
Here's what I use that works very well. My LCD is calibrated so I don't have the 210 do any video processing at all. Same with audio, I let the AVR handle that.

Panasonic BDT-210 Settings.doc 25k . file
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt110 3d 2d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Movies , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Dmp Bdt100 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Receivers Amplifiers , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Panasonic 1080p Blu Ray Player Dmp Bd35ak Brand , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page