Official Panasonic DMP-BDT110/210/310 Owners Thread - Page 223 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6661 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know that 220+ pages this has been dicussed MANY times and we all appreciate all of the great comments.

I just got 3+tb of mkv's -- they work fine from Mezzmo - but obviously native would be prefered.

In posts it has been said that a "netwok drive" plays then natively -- or a usb drive connected directly -- it that correct?

So if I hook up a network drive to my router -- the BDP will see it and pany mkv's natively? -- is that through "home network" or where --thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 09:21 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfsf View Post

I know that 220+ pages this has been dicussed MANY times and we all appreciate all of the great comments.

I just got 3+tb of mkv's -- they work fine from Mezzmo - but obviously native would be prefered.

In posts it has been said that a "netwok drive" plays then natively -- or a usb drive connected directly -- it that correct?

So if I hook up a network drive to my router -- the BDP will see it and pany mkv's natively? -- is that through "home network" or where --thanks.

Hey dcfsf,

Yes, network drive is the better way to go if you have MKV files to play. You have to enable Network Drive in Setup on the Panasonic, then configure the actual drive with IP, Share name and username/password. For details, search this thread for a post I wrote from Dec 7 containing the terms "network drive dhcp". Still, be prepared that not all MKVs will play. That's covered as well in that Dec 7 post.

And please post your results back here

Update: Yes, you can also connect directly as USB, it supports MKVs the same as Network Drive. But the drive must be FAT32 or exFAT formatted, NTFS doesn't work. Also, drives with external power tend to work better (depending on how much juice they draw).
post #6663 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBudget5.1 View Post

This happens from time to time. It's renegotiating for a different encode from Netlix due to server load, network congestion, or simply because of the weak strength of the signal between your player and the router. Any time the noise floor jumps up and the SNR goes down, it's going to renegotiate for the next slowest speed. In the past, older Panasonic players would completely halt playback and reload the entire screen. With the new units and the latest firmware, they've improved upon that tedious process by maintaining playback while renegotiating speed. Now you see a flash, instead of completely freezing playback and reloading. If you can get a SNR close to 40 or above, you'll notice that it will rarely flash. Sometimes, your best option is to run Ethernet straight to the router. Bypass the wi-fi.

Well, the blinking/flashing only happens with Netflix, and does not happen on the PS3 or older Panasonic player's. 2011 players are a different story. A ping test and speed test show no problems on my side. This happens with wireless and directly connected to router with ethernet cable.

This blinking/flashing happens about every 15-30 minutes and sometimes more frequently. Sometimes less frequently. The older Panasonic player's absolutely DO NOT completely halt playback and reload the entire screen every 15-30 minutes. In all my hours of watching Netflix with the older Panasonic player's, maybe twice the halting of playback (buffering) has happened.

This is a known problem with the 2011 player's. And if you ever get to the right person at Panasonic, they will tell you that.
post #6664 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 244
^^ I has to agree. It has nothing to do with wireless vs wired. My 110 is connected wired to my gigabit router and I still see this flashing randomly. It's the flaw in the player and obviously Panasonic doesn't know how to fix it.
post #6665 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 01:00 PM

Liked: 15
Hello,
How do I get this player to always default to the HD audio codecs? When I play a BD moview, it seems to always play in regular Dolby Digital or DTS and I have to manually change it via the 'audio' button to a lossless format. The manual really doesn't address this.
Thanks!
Victor
post #6666 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Default audio is determined by the studio mastering the disc. Most newer discs do default to the lossless codecs. Just hit the audio button on the remote if it doesn't default automatically as you are doing now or go into the language/settings menu of the disc before playing.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #6667 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Default audio is determined by the studio mastering the disc. Most newer discs do default to the lossless codecs. Just hit the audio button on the remote if it doesn't default automatically as you are doing now or go into the language/settings menu of the disc before playing.

S~

Thanks teachsac,
I asked because my sony blu-ray player will always automatically play the movie with lossless format everytime without any intervention on my part.
Victor
post #6668 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonydude1966 View Post

Well, the blinking/flashing only happens with Netflix, and does not happen on the PS3 or older Panasonic player's. 2011 players are a different story. A ping test and speed test show no problems on my side. This happens with wireless and directly connected to router with ethernet cable.

This blinking/flashing happens about every 15-30 minutes and sometimes more frequently. Sometimes less frequently. The older Panasonic player's absolutely DO NOT completely halt playback and reload the entire screen every 15-30 minutes. In all my hours of watching Netflix with the older Panasonic player's, maybe twice the halting of playback (buffering) has happened.

This is a known problem with the 2011 player's. And if you ever get to the right person at Panasonic, they will tell you that.

Yes, it is a known problem which has been discussed in this thread ad nauseam. It happens because, for whatever reason, the player's buffer content isn't being filled as quickly as it's been consumed so it switches to a lower bit rate, lower picture quality encoding; a switch will also happen when the buffer is staying full, an indication that a higher bit rate encoding can be handled. Several other players do the same thing, but this black flash thing is unique to these 2011 BDTx10 devices. The PS3 does it, but it does it so smoothly it's like seeing the focus of a camera soften and sharpen; the same is true of the Roku 2.

So many things could cause conditions in which an encoding switch will happen that it's just not possible to predict whether it will happen to you or not at any given time. I've seen times when I was getting the full 25 Mbps rated speed of my cable modem service while downloading from other sites, but got patchy service to whatever Netflix servers I was assigned. At most other times no problem whatsoever with Netflix.

Unfortunately there's nothing to do about this. Panasonic has known about this since the beginning and have gone through several firmware updates without fixing it. I doubt that it'll be fixed at this point.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #6669 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 02:31 PM

^^
Exactly as Michael says.

Some nights when everybody in our neighborhood is watching NetFlix, it is simply impossible to get a decent connection, and flashes (and their accompanying low bitrate blur) are constant -- even as we can still get 9Mbps stable on Vudu. One thing we do is restart the movie, which often will give us a better NetFlix server. We give it 1-2 minutes, and if it doesn't settle at a high bitrate within that time, we know it's not gonna get better and restart it. Sometimes it takes 10 tries or more, but once we get a good server, it usually goes straight to max bitrate (high PQ) and stays there for the rest of the movie. When we get a good connection we DON'T pause for potty runs or popcorn, or we lose that good connection.

My 110 only has wired, but from my experience with a Vizio player before getting my Panny, WiFi definitely increases the risk of NetFlix bitrate fluctuations. Of course, if you have a super connection, you live right next to a NetFlix data center, and none of your neighbors use NetFlix, even poor WiFi might be good enough. But it's absolutely an additional weakness in the chain.
post #6670 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 03:12 PM

Will there be a 2012 model line intro any time soon?
post #6671 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

Will there be a 2012 model line intro any time soon?

See this. Most stuff announced at CES will ship by end of Spring unless otherwise indicated; these DMP-BDTx10s appeared last March, with about a 2 month delay for the BDT310, IIRC.

One thing I've read about them is that they'll feature 24fps output for VOD services. Hopefully they'll have 1080p Netflix w/o black flashes .

post #6672 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

One thing I've read about them is that they'll feature 24fps output for VOD services. Hopefully they'll have 1080p Netflix w/o black flashes .

That would be great!

Michael, do you know what is received now for Netflix 24p content? Of course the player will always output 60p to the TV, but does Netflix transmit 24p and the player converts it, or does Netflix transmit a 60p encode (wasting bandwidth)?
post #6673 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
New 1.80 update?

Seen Panny had a new update as its the 1.8 so I had down loaded it today. I dont see anything on the website but it came across the player anyhow. Anybody know what the update did/does?? I still get the "ocasional" black flash right at the begining an a few audio drops as well... so I know that didnt work! lol

Just checking to see if anyone had did the update yet?
post #6674 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 05:08 PM

Firmware 1.80 was released today.

Here's what the description said:

Quote:

VIERA Connect update
Playability of 3D Blu-ray Disc

Before I updated my firmware, when I went into VIERA Connect, it said something about a network service update coming on the 9th. Perhaps some more apps?
post #6675 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbuck View Post

Firmware 1.80 was released today.

Here's what the description said:

Before I updated my firmware, when I went into VIERA Connect, it said something about a network service update coming on the 9th. Perhaps some more apps?

Thanks for the info! I didnt get a chance to see it as the wife had done it prior to me getting home. She just mentioned it updated and I saw it was a 1.8 version. Darn... and here I was hoping oh well. You know, if they can EVER get this Netflix ordeal worked out they will have a top notch player.
post #6676 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 05:28 PM

There are actually multiple issues with this player. It's just that south of $500, it has the best picture quality on the market. To a certain extent, we have to live with it's quirks, or else lobby or sue or persuade panasonic to get these obvious problems fixed.
post #6677 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by arango1 View Post

Thanks teachsac,
I asked because my sony blu-ray player will always automatically play the movie with lossless format everytime without any intervention on my part.
Victor

What player is that? I've never heard of a player that selects a track other than the one set to play by default when the disc was authored.
post #6678 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I had a Sony once for a short while and it always had to be set if the lossless wasn't the default (Warner was the worst case offender on this one). All my other brands work that way, too.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #6679 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenborg View Post

That would be great!

Michael, do you know what is received now for Netflix 24p content? Of course the player will always output 60p to the TV, but does Netflix transmit 24p and the player converts it, or does Netflix transmit a 60p encode (wasting bandwidth)?

Most of these online VOD services encode most of their "filmic" content as 24p, that being the framerate of the source that they received and the most compact encoding anyway. Some of the television stuff is 30p, but even a lot of that is 24p; some British TV is 25p. To test the framerate of a title, play it in the PC web player; after it starts running click on the picture to make sure that the frame has input focus and type CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-D (w/o hitting "Full Screen")--you can see the framerate on the "Video Frames (rendered/dropped)" line of the diagnostic overlay.

Good algorithms for converting to 30p or 60p abound--BD players have to do it for most televisions. Very few Netflix players can output 24p; I've heard that the Netflix players in some of the LG BD players can.

post #6680 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skally View Post

New 1.80 update?

Seen Panny had a new update as its the 1.8 so I had down loaded it today. I dont see anything on the website but it came across the player anyhow. Anybody know what the update did/does?? I still get the "ocasional" black flash right at the begining an a few audio drops as well... so I know that didnt work! lol

Just checking to see if anyone had did the update yet?

I did the update last night.

Today my son noticed that the touch-free sensor no longer works. Not sure if that is just a coinky-dink or if the update broke that feature. I checked in setup to make sure the update didn't turn the feature off...it was still on.

I've heard other reports of the sensor not working after a few weeks/months of operation. Is it worth making a warranty claim for? I've had my player maybe 2 months.

The more I know, the more I realize I don't know.
post #6681 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I'm on 1.80 and my sensor works fine.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #6682 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

From the Panasonic PR on the 2012 BD players:
Quote:

Also new for 2012 is technology that allows for VOD 24p output, thereby synching with the original 24 fps (frames per second) video format and delivering film like motion characteristics. Using 24 fps each frame is uniformly converted, so more natural and flickerless images are reproduced.

That PR is pretty informative, BTW.

post #6683 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:

Most of these online VOD services encode most of their "filmic" content as 24p, that being the framerate of the source that they received and the most compact encoding anyway. Some of the television stuff is 30p, but even a lot of that is 24p; some British TV is 25p. To test the framerate of a title, play it in the PC web player; after it starts running click on the picture to make sure that the frame has input focus and type CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-D (w/o hitting "Full Screen")--you can see the framerate on the "Video Frames (rendered/dropped)" line of the diagnostic overlay.

Good algorithms for converting to 30p or 60p abound--BD players have to do it for most televisions. Very few Netflix players can output 24p; I've heard that the Netflix players in some of the LG BD players can.

Thanks. Yes I thought that's what they did (transmit original source framerate). Why waste bandwidth transmitting 60p on a 24p source?

So basically the new 24p feature for VOD will only affect 24p as sent to the TV. I was hoping it might improve bitrate efficiency as well, but they already do that.

I always used the diag screen on the Netflix PC player to measure bitrate, didn't occur to me to use it to check source framerate as well.

Thanks again :-)
post #6684 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 08:22 PM

I downloaded firmware 1.80 last night, and - whether by coincidence or what - we had the first flash free Netflix experience today in... well in as long as I can remember. No restarting, went straight to max bitrate from the beginning.

Even if they didn't fix the flashes, I would be even happier if they improved the buffering so that it can keep a high bitrate more steadily.

Or maybe a complete coincidence ;-)
post #6685 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 08:35 PM

What are the release dates of the new models?

If Pan. can reduce the noise level, improve flash drive compatibility, address the netflix issue, add non pan. tv compatibility with its remote, and add playback compatibility for a few more types of files, this player would be just about perfect.

Quote:

From the Panasonic PR on the 2012 BD players:
That PR is pretty informative, BTW.

post #6686 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 PM

Liked: 11
I just updated to the 1.80, and everything seems fine except my Inception bluray special features disc. It just sits and loads and loads, never reaching the main menu. any ideas?
post #6687 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I as well have had absolutely no Netflix flashing since the update, not once, and I've been watching hours of breaking bad episodes. I think that the update may have fixed Netflix, or it is just an amazing coincidence. Before, when I would start watching something I would at least get 2-3 flashes at the very beginning of the show, now, smooth as silk.
Also, my father's 210 sensor stopped working, settings said it was "on" so I unplugged the player, waited a minute and plugged it back in, sensor now works fine.
post #6688 of 8509 Old 02-06-2012, 10:54 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonydude1966 View Post

Hmm...interesting. I guess I had a problem with my previous Panasonic BD65. Netflix playback would freeze the screen, pause, then reload another chunk of data into the buffer with a progress bar. Therefore, I was OK with the quick black flashes with the BDT210. However, I don't see them all that much anymore. I don't know how much of a factor it is, but my VOIP and Video streaming performance improved threefold when I upgraded my Linksys router to dd-wrt firmware. However, I think there are many times when the problem is on Netflix's end. This series of players does have it's issues, but Netflix is having issues keeping up with demand.

This is a cool site to use to check Netflix status. Sometimes when you have some connectivity problems, you'll see some spikes on the graph. http://downrightnow.com/netflix#refresh
post #6689 of 8509 Old 02-07-2012, 12:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

What are the release dates of the new models?

As I posted earlier, there is no announced release date. The DMP-BDTx10 models that we're discussing in this thread were announced at CES last year and shipped at the beginning of March (the BDT310 was delayed a couple of months).

post #6690 of 8509 Old 02-07-2012, 12:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I installed 1.8. Sadly, it didn't introduce Netflix 1080p capability, as per my bandwidth consumption test and the Let the Right One In quick test (the film is in Swedish with hard English subs and the subtitles in the top letterbox bar which descend into the picture are cut off in only the 1080p encoding).

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt110 3d 2d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Movies , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Dmp Bdt100 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Receivers Amplifiers , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Panasonic 1080p Blu Ray Player Dmp Bd35ak Brand , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - P50gt30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page