Forum Jump: 

post #7111 of 8497 Old 02-25-2012, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

There was a recent post in which someone reported seeing black flashes while streaming Netflix on their WD TV Live, here. It was the first report I've seen of the problem occurring any other device.

Plus I've never seen the problem with Vudu (1080P!) or Amazon streaming...so somehow Panasonic is getting those to work without adding memory.

I tend to think it is a Netflix problem. Just my two cents.

The more I know, the more I realize I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 8497 Old 02-25-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I'm not implying anything about RAM. Just wonder what Panasonic did or didn't do to 220 to make it $50 cheaper in MSRP. You know 1GB of flash storage costs about $1 or less for Panasonic. And yet, I haven't seen any Panny players have this BDLive storage included. Does 220 still require a SD card for BDLive storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

most likey it does require a Sd card.

Yes, it does require an SD card for BD Live (and, no doubt, self-bookmarking discs). Which reminds me that I need to transplant the one from my old player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorX View Post

Plus I've never seen the problem with Vudu (1080P!) or Amazon streaming...so somehow Panasonic is getting those to work without adding memory.

I tend to think it is a Netflix problem. Just my two cents.

But the flashes aren't manifest in more than one other Netflix player that we know of. It seems to be gone from the player in the 220, though its too early to know for sure.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7113 of 8497 Old 02-25-2012, 02:16 PM

It sounds like the 220 is identical to the 210. Except that they replaced the "1" with a "2." Hopefully the took care of the netflix issue, at least.
post #7114 of 8497 Old 02-25-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

It sounds like the 220 is identical to the 210. Except that they replaced the "1" with a "2." Hopefully the took care of the netflix issue, at least.

If all you use it for is watching BD and DVDs, that's pretty much true--there's no reason to "upgrade" from a 110 or 210 to a 220. Disc loading is still very fast and playback quality is still exceptional. There wasn't much improvement for them to make there.

They added a couple of new formats (AVCHD 3D, MP4 and FLAC) to some modes of playing media files and the ability to play 24p from VOD sources like Netflix and VUDU. The 220's Netflix player can access and play the 1080p encodings and thus far I have not seen the "black flash" bug and it's definitely ramping up through the encodings at start; the VUDU player can play VUDU's selection of 3D streams. They added some sort of "multiple user mode" wherein you can press one of the colored buttons at the top menu and select your set of personalizations, but those don't seem to be anything important. There's a formal IP remote control function that you can use through your iPhone or Android phone whose apps haven't shown up yet (not entirely new but they're advertising it now); it will allow you to enter text into menus using a keyboard on your touchscreen. That's pretty much it (there is no touch free sensor).

All of the higher models (BDT320, BBT01 and BDT500, in order of price) add the touchpad remote. The 320 and BBT01 are slot loading. The 320 does not have the 310's dual HDMI connections, available only on the 500, which also has 7.1 channel analog outs and a Burr Brown DAC.

So the 220 will basically only have appeal to streaming fans, with 1080p Netflix, VUDU 3D and 24p VOD output. Disappointingly they did not add 5.1 sound to Amazon. I'm going to keep mine because I'm all about Netflix streaming and 220's player doesn't have the annoying bugs and limitations of the Roku 2.

post #7115 of 8497 Old 02-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Does the 310 support Vudu 3D? I played some vudu 3d trailers on my PS3 last week (PS3 connects to 3d adapter to mits DLP). Just tried tonight to do the same thing with my new 310 and the 3d trailers aren't available. Maybe because the 310 isn't going through the adapter, I hope. If the 310 doesn't support 3d vudu, I need to know.... guess running it through the 3d adapter will be the test.
post #7116 of 8497 Old 02-25-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The 310 VUDU app currently doesn't have a 3D collection of titles. It will take an agreement between VUDU and Panasonic followed by a firmware update to get it.

Some devices with VUDU have 3D out of the box while others get it later via a firmware (either alone or with other upgrades/fixes).
post #7117 of 8497 Old 02-25-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Yes. Bd live on the 220 requires an sd card.
post #7118 of 8497 Old 02-25-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

The 310 VUDU app currently doesn't have a 3D collection of titles. It will take an agreement between VUDU and Panasonic followed by a firmware update to get it.

Some devices with VUDU have 3D out of the box while others get it later via a firmware (either alone or with other upgrades/fixes).

Just FYI, but the 220's VUDU app apparently can play the 3D VUDU titles. I recall someone in here checking to see whether they'd added it after every BDTx10 firmware update, so I checked it. I asked to play one of the 2 minute previews and it told me it appeared that I didn't have a 3D television connected (which was true) and to please connect one and try again.

I will be surprised if the BDTx10s get a new feature firmware update a year after launch and with this year's line shipping, but I suppose that anything's possible.

post #7119 of 8497 Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Just FYI, but the 220's VUDU app apparently can play the 3D VUDU titles. I recall someone in here checking to see whether they'd added it after every BDTx10 firmware update, so I checked it. I asked to play one of the 2 minute previews and it told me it appeared that I didn't have a 3D television connected (which was true) and to please connect one and try again.

I will be surprised if the BDTx10s get a new feature firmware update a year after launch and with this year's line shipping, but I suppose that anything's possible.

I heard that other blu ray players did get an update for the vudu 3d. its possible that panasonic can get a firmware update for it.

Jacob
post #7120 of 8497 Old 02-25-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I heard that other blu ray players did get an update for the vudu 3d. its possible that panasonic can get a firmware update for it.

I'm not saying that it's not possible, just that I strongly doubt that they will update last year's line to add new feature. Fix serious bugs, yes, but not to add features. I could be wrong, but I think that it would unusual.

post #7121 of 8497 Old 02-25-2012, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, in "technology time" the 310 is getting pretty long in the tooth even though I personally haven't had it too long. It's VUDU app's chance of getting 3D is getting slimmer. Maybe Panasonic could bundle it in with a Blu-ray "title compatibility" firmware update of something but who knows. At least the VUDU app doesn't have a 3D Collection section listed. I had two other devices without 3D titles but they both had a 3D Collection section that was empty only showing "No titles available" or something similar that was very fustrating and frankly confusing. I've had 2 HDTVs and a Blu-ray player with VUDU all get firmware updates that added 3D title support so there is hope for the 310 too. More and more devices offer overlapping services and apps that increases the chance some people will find what they are looking for as long as they have multiple devices of course.
post #7122 of 8497 Old 02-26-2012, 12:15 AM

Good clarification. The improvements in netflix playback are well worth the modest increase in price.

I wish pan. would catch up to sony and include sacd compatibility.

But as I've said before on multiple occasions, there is no topping pan's PQ at this price point.

Quote:

If all you use it for is watching BD and DVDs, that's pretty much true--there's no reason to "upgrade" from a 110 or 210 to a 220. Disc loading is still very fast and playback quality is still exceptional. There wasn't much improvement for them to make there.

They added a couple of new formats (AVCHD 3D, MP4 and FLAC) to some modes of playing media files and the ability to play 24p from VOD sources like Netflix and VUDU. The 220's Netflix player can access and play the 1080p encodings and thus far I have not seen the "black flash" bug and it's definitely ramping up through the encodings at start; the VUDU player can play VUDU's selection of 3D streams. They added some sort of "multiple user mode" wherein you can press one of the colored buttons at the top menu and select your set of personalizations, but those don't seem to be anything important. There's a formal IP remote control function that you can use through your iPhone or Android phone whose apps haven't shown up yet (not entirely new but they're advertising it now); it will allow you to enter text into menus using a keyboard on your touchscreen. That's pretty much it (there is no touch free sensor).

All of the higher models (BDT320, BBT01 and BDT500, in order of price) add the touchpad remote. The 320 and BBT01 are slot loading. The 320 does not have the 310's dual HDMI connections, available only on the 500, which also has 7.1 channel analog outs and a Burr Brown DAC.

So the 220 will basically only have appeal to streaming fans, with 1080p Netflix, VUDU 3D and 24p VOD output. Disappointingly they did not add 5.1 sound to Amazon. I'm going to keep mine because I'm all about Netflix streaming and 220's player doesn't have the annoying bugs and limitations of the Roku 2.

post #7123 of 8497 Old 02-26-2012, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Yeah, in "technology time" the 310 is getting pretty long in the tooth even though I personally haven't had it too long. It's VUDU app's chance of getting 3D is getting slimmer. Maybe Panasonic could bundle it in with a Blu-ray "title compatibility" firmware update of something but who knows. At least the VUDU app doesn't have a 3D Collection section listed. I had two other devices without 3D titles but they both had a 3D Collection section that was empty only showing "No titles available" or something similar that was very fustrating and frankly confusing. I've had 2 HDTVs and a Blu-ray player with VUDU all get firmware updates that added 3D title support so there is hope for the 310 too. More and more devices offer overlapping services and apps that increases the chance some people will find what they are looking for as long as they have multiple devices of course.

my panasonic did have a listing for the 3d titles but the box was empty. they took it down. it was there at one time.

Jacob
post #7124 of 8497 Old 02-26-2012, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Good price today at HHGregg for the DMP-BDT110, and I think the Avatar 3D promotion ends on 29 Feb.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #7125 of 8497 Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

Good clarification. The improvements in netflix playback are well worth the modest increase in price.

The MSRP for 2012 is actually $50 lower than 2011 models.

Quote:

I wish pan. would catch up to sony and include sacd compatibility.

No a chance. Both DVD-A and SACD are dead end technology. Unlike Sony, Panny will have to pay Sony license fees to include SACD. With majority of the music listeners going mp3, there is only a nitch market for DVD-A/SACD.
post #7126 of 8497 Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

my panasonic did have a listing for the 3d titles but the box was empty. they took it down. it was there at one time.

Jacob

Just re-confirmed using my PS3 that vudu's 3d folder is available and has titles. So, I connected the 310 to my Mits 3d adapter (so Vudu can recognize I have a 3d capable display) and NO VUDU 3D!

Deciding today if it goes back to the jungle guess the PS3 is still Top Dog.
post #7127 of 8497 Old 02-26-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

We're saying that the VUDU app has to have 3D Titles from the start in firmware and it doesn't matter about the connection being 3D, detected as 3D or anthing else. My new 2011 3D Mitsubishi HDTV first came with VUDU highly integrated as it's "Smart TV" platform and it didn't have 3D Titles at first: they came later (same thing happened on my LG display also). The movie listings and collections aren't 'smart' or 'detect' anything about the connection of 3D. This means that if 3D titles are available within the app on a device, they will be listed even if 3D is not currently 'hooked up' or available on the device. If a 3D title does play, it would display incorrectly or display some dialog box.

Additionally, I've had 3D devices connected to 3D displays with high speed HDMI and everything was connected as 3D correctly but the VUDU 3D collection still didn't have titles displayed until a firmware update added them.
post #7128 of 8497 Old 02-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

I read on vudu.com that vudu does try to detect if you have a 3D capable TV that's why I thought running through the adapter might have been the issue. Once the 310 was connected to the adapter the 310 recognized my mits 73835 as a 3D set and automatically swithed from checkerboard to FULL 3D. I discovered yesterday that the 2D=3D conversion won't work with checkerboard output and now it does (a feature missing on a PS3 afaik).
post #7129 of 8497 Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Any detection shouldn't effect the display of 3D movie titles one way or the other, just their playback if listed.
post #7130 of 8497 Old 02-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any detection shouldn't effect the display of 3D movie titles one way or the other, just their playback if listed.

I think we agree that they don't want to offer 3D titles to people without the capability to play them.

Hopefully a firmware update will fix this. I was hoping to use this player without my mits 3d adapter and still wonder if it (or the new models) would work with any online 3d content without the adapter or is the checkerboard out just for bd discs?
post #7131 of 8497 Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

...I think the Avatar 3D promotion ends on 29 Feb.

The exclusive ends and the disc goes on sale at retail outlets. If you buy a product with the coupon you have until March 31st to send it in for redemption.

post #7132 of 8497 Old 02-26-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This is true for the 220. Its VUDU player can see the 3D movie collection and browse through its title. When I attempted to play the 2 minute preview for one of them it popped up a message to say something like, "You don't seem to have a 3D television connected. Please connect one and come back" .

post #7133 of 8497 Old 02-26-2012, 06:57 PM

Well, I was comparing current prices, where the 210 can be had for around $130. However, the 220's price is dropping, and at $140 or so, is only slightly more expensive.

I may get an inexpensive sony player to get sacd capability.

Quote:

The MSRP for 2012 is actually $50 lower than 2011 models.

No a chance. Both DVD-A and SACD are dead end technology. Unlike Sony, Panny will have to pay Sony license fees to include SACD. With majority of the music listeners going mp3, there is only a nitch market for DVD-A/SACD.

post #7134 of 8497 Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:

Well, I was comparing current prices, where the 210 can be had for around $130. However, the 220's price is dropping, and at $140 or so, is only slightly more expensive.

I may get an inexpensive sony player to get sacd capability.

My friend picked up a open box panny bt210 with upc intact and all documents intact for 75 from a local store who also is a seller on Amazon. They were selling 110 for 50. Maybe it was one of the return units from someone here.... Lol- did the firmware update and it was good to go.
post #7135 of 8497 Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 39
After doing a quick search through this thread, it looks like there's no way to turn off the scaler in the player. Is that correct?
post #7136 of 8497 Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post

After doing a quick search through this thread, it looks like there's no way to turn off the scaler in the player. Is that correct?

Yup. It detects what the tv can handle and upscales it to fit. You can manually go into the settings and chg it, but it's buried so deep it's a pita to do so. Should have been on the popup menu.
post #7137 of 8497 Old 02-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsidlov View Post

Yup. It detects what the tv can handle and upscales it to fit. You can manually go into the settings and chg it, but it's buried so deep it's a pita to do so. Should have been on the popup menu.

Really? I couldn't find it in the manual or in the menu. Maybe I'm just dense. I have a video processor that I would like to use for scaling purposes.
post #7138 of 8497 Old 02-28-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

Really? I couldn't find it in the manual or in the menu. Maybe I'm just dense. I have a video processor that I would like to use for scaling purposes.

What he meant is that you can set your player's output resolution manually. But that's probably not what you wanted because if you set it to 480p (for DVDs), your Blu Rays will be down scaled to 480p as well. There is no way to set output resolution to automatically match the source. So, forget about the external scaler idea. It will not work with this player or any other consumer grade players out there.
post #7139 of 8497 Old 02-28-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There's a Setup/Player Settings/Video/HDMI Output/HDMI Resolution setting which is set to "Auto" by default; when that's set to "Auto" (the default) it says that the resolution will be set optimally for your television. I assume that it obtains the downstream HDMI sink's E-EDID block, reads the current resolution out of it and scales to that. What you want is a "Native" setting which'd force the player to output at the source's encoded resolution; the player doesn't have one.

post #7140 of 8497 Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

What he meant is that you can set your player's output resolution manually. But that's probably not what you wanted because if you set it to 480p (for DVDs), your Blu Rays will be down scaled to 480p as well. There is no way to set output resolution to automatically match the source. So, forget about the external scaler idea. It will not work with this player or any other consumer grade players out there.

Sure there is. Many players Oppo, Pioneer, Denon all offer source direct and output the original source on the disc. Unfortunately, Panasonic doesn't offer it.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt110 3d 2d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Movies , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Dmp Bdt100 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Receivers Amplifiers , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Panasonic 1080p Blu Ray Player Dmp Bd35ak Brand , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - P50gt30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page