AVS Forum banner
1M views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  glangford 
#1 ·
All things 110/210/310 here! Who has received theirs so far? What do you like? What could they improve? gogogo!

edit: my first impressions after a 30 minute test session:

Im a total noob when it comes to this 3d stuff and blu-ray players and whatnot, so take all of this with a grain of salt. I just got the BDT110 today, upgrading from a BDT100 that I only played with a couple times before selling it on ebay. The 100 was my first blu-ray, and this is my first experience with plasma technology and 3d technology. I got the Panasonic 50GT25 3d plasma just a couple weeks ago. This is just going to be a stream of consciousness of things I noticed in my quick 30 minute test drive...

Setup and updating the firmware was simple through my ethernet connection. I read a review on amazon where the dude said he wasn't able to do it over the internet and had to burn some iso disc to update his firmware and it was a big pain, but I had no such issues.

Right off the bat I started having quite a lot of handshake issues w/ my Onkyo receiver when switching back and forth between 2d and 2d-->3d conversion. When I'd switch, it would get a static screen, then a green screen, then it would go blank. Then, I'd hear only audio with a blank picture. "HDMI handshake" problems is the correct term for this, right? I'd have to restart everything and it kept happening--it was quite frustrating. I think there are firmware updates to fix this, correct? I don't think this ever happened with my BDT100. Any suggestions?

As far as the 2d-->3d conversion, it seems to do a better job converting a blu-ray than my 50GT25 does, so that's pretty neat. I tried it on Toy Story 3 blu-ray and it looked pretty cool. Not as good as a true 3d blu-ray naturally, but pretty neat nonetheless. I tried doing 2d-3d from Netflix content by pushing the "3d" button, but it nothing happened (or did it say "this feature not available"?). So I'm not sure if you can convert that content to 3d.

Another thing that may turn out cool is that you can put a vignette around the picture in 3d. Have you ever noticed how the edges on a 3d blu-ray can sometimes look real distracting how one eye will have the image off of the screen and the other eye the edge of the image will be on the screen? I'm sure there's a name for this but all i know is that it can really take away from the movie at times. Anyway, the 110 has an upgrade (from the 100) where you can put a black/gray/blue/red vignette around the edges so that edge artifact is nearly gone.

I'll have to play with the settings to get everything looking optimal, as there are so many damn things you can tweak (i.e., depth, .

The interface is really slick looking and seems intuitive. The Netflix upgrade from the 100 is great. You can now browse all titles, rather than just look at your instant queue and their suggestions. One thing that seems to be missing is that you can't browse just by HD content.

I tried burning an .mkv file of a blu-ray movie to a DVD-R and playing it, and although the resolution of the picture itself looked stellar, no audio was coming through and the video was really choppy, speeding up then slowing down. This is the first time I have ever burned any mkv files so it is distinctly possible that I did something wrong and this is of no fault of the player itself. Just throwing this out there...

A minor thing that kept pissing me off... When I'd put a movie in, I tried to press the "top menu" button to skip the previews and go right to the title menu of the movie, but it never seemed to work? I had to manually fast forward through previews and whatnot. I'm sure this is something I was doing wrong probably.

I'll update as I think of more things.

See less See more
#6,259 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Angel /forum/post/0

UPDATE: I tried the Mezzmo. Very easy to set up and the BDT210 connects right up to it, but it won't stay connected for more than 10 minutes.

I'm about to throw the Panasonic out in the trash!

Thanks for the recommendation of Mezzmo. I like it much better than Serviio. Now, if I can just find a Bluray player that actually supports DLNA...

I am sure there are better DLNA players out there than the Panny. That said, it DOES actually work for me and a few others as posted here. Personally I use a win7 laptop as server, sometimes on a wired connection, sometimes wifi (Panny is less sensitive to wifi latencies on DLNA compared to network drive). I've played full-length 1080i and 720p movies, no problems. All were MPEG2 TS files.

One thing I have found important and posted about over and over: the Panny is very sensitive to frame errors - as happen frequently when recording from cable or OTA. I generally run recordings through a "cleaner" before playing (MPEG2REPAIR, there are many others).

I wish I could tell you exactly what to do other than to say that it CAN work (encouragement) but many others have found, like you, that it wasn't worth the effort (sort of encouragement as well that it isn't just you).

#6,260 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Angel /forum/post/21492754

UPDATE: I tried the Mezzmo. Very easy to set up and the BDT210 connects right up to it, but it won't stay connected for more than 10 minutes.

I'm about to throw the Panasonic out in the trash!

Thanks for the recommendation of Mezzmo. I like it much better than Serviio. Now, if I can just find a Bluray player that actually supports DLNA...

Hrrm.... are you sure it's not something with your router or network? I just hooked up my BDT210 for the first time this week. Was very disappointed to find out that Tversity, which is what I had been using to stream movies to my PS3, was useless for the BDT. Spent a couple of hours researching and finally came across Mezzmo which I installed and set up this morning.

After installing it and having to manually configure it for a Panasonic BDT, it seems to be working flawlessly. Granted I've only watched one movie so far but it was a 2 hour movie which was on my PC as an xvid file and Mezzmo transcoded it without any issues and never dropped the connection.

Aside from that, I also watched a movie on Netflix and another on Amazon Prime and both worked well although I did get a couple of the black screen flashes on netflix that I've seen reported. I don't remember if there is a solution to that problem. It's not a major thing though, it was just a couple of very quick flashes.

Overall I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it. I got it specifically to replace my old and dying PS3 so I'm glad I found a way to do everything with it that I was doing with the PS3.

#6,261 ·
Never again will I purchase anything panasonic, I have flung this hunk of junk in the bin after a tantrum trying to set up a network drive with this. I have been e-mailing the twats at panasonic or PANASHITY as I now refer to them for over a week with not one response anyway the thing is broke now after being repeatedly smashed on the floor! BE WARNED FUTURE BUYERS!

#6,262 ·
With this your only post you must have a very short temper. Network Drives work very well once you have a real user id and password. The only problem is deleting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevion74 /forum/post/0

Never again will I purchase anything panasonic, I have flung this hunk of junk in the bin after a tantrum trying to set up a network drive with this. I have been e-mailing the twats at panasonic or PANASHITY as I now refer to them for over a week with not one response anyway the thing is broke now after being repeatedly smashed on the floor! BE WARNED FUTURE BUYERS!

#6,263 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsidlov /forum/post/21493596

With this your only post you must have a very short temper. Network Drives work very well once you have a real user id and password. The only problem is deleting them.

I had a real username and password, I managed to get it set up through dlna but the quality was awful so I was told on another forum to try the network drive. I have been trying for the last week to get the thing to connect without success I even took yesterday off work to try, I finally lost it tonight. I mean whats the point in it being dnla compatible if you can't stream half decent quality films to it I bought the 310 as its the "flagship" some top model pmpl? It was a complete waste of £180 although the satisfaction of getting my frustration and anger out on the piece of junk was sooooooooooooo good! I will never buy a panasonic/technics again, they completely lied about its capabilities!

#6,264 ·
1. The 310 is NOT the flagship, it's no different than the 110 or 210, except it has dual HDMI outs - sounds like you didn't need dual HDMI outs, so you wasted a bit of money that you could have prevented by doing simple research.

2. It's a Blu Ray player. It's not a streamer (there's other devices for that), although it can do it on a limited basis. Again, research is your friend.

3. Losing your temper over a piece of electronics? Please don't procreate.

4. Don't feed the troll.

#6,265 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenborg /forum/post/21493053

I am sure there are better DLNA players out there than the Panny. That said, it DOES actually work for me and a few others as posted here. Personally I use a win7 laptop as server, sometimes on a wired connection, sometimes wifi (Panny is less sensitive to wifi latencies on DLNA compared to network drive). I've played full-length 1080i and 720p movies, no problems. All were MPEG2 TS files.

One thing I have found important and posted about over and over: the Panny is very sensitive to frame errors - as happen frequently when recording from cable or OTA. I generally run recordings through a "cleaner" before playing (MPEG2REPAIR, there are many others).

I wish I could tell you exactly what to do other than to say that it CAN work (encouragement) but many others have found, like you, that it wasn't worth the effort (sort of encouragement as well that it isn't just you).

Brandenborg, Thanks for your reply and for your encouragement.

It's not the router. I've tried 3 different routers. It's not a wifi problem, as it's hardwired. The server is an i7 920 with 12GB ram and Windows 7 Pro. It makes no difference whether it's music or video files, DLNA always disconnects... I don't have Netflix, but I have streamed a few 30 to 40 minute programs from Amazon without any disconnects. The 210 is running the latest firmware, and I have DHCP turned off.

Guitarman3001, I'm sure it's not my router. It's a Netgear WNDR3800 with the latest firmware. I suspected the router, so I tried my DLink DLG4300 and my DLink D704P routers. The Netgear, and the 4300 were tried wireless and wired, and the 704 wired only. Same DLNA disconnects... The Netgear is the one in use at the moment, and is hardwired to the 210. I have 2 wireless devices connected to the Netgear and never have any disconnects. Netgear Tech Support blames the 210, while Panasonic's Tech Support blames my wireless encryption, even though I told them numerous times that it's hardwired.

Thanks guys, for your input and assistance.

#6,266 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopygirl /forum/post/21489529

please forgive this ultra n00b-ish post.

I am a mom with an almost 3 year old and I work. I simply haven't had the time to read all 200+ pages of this thread. Is there any really super simplified FAQ out there on the 210 / 310? My husband wanted to buy me a PS3 for Christmas since we don't have a Blu-Ray player at all. I don't really want to open up the black hole of gaming in our house so I was thinking of getting a Roku instead but I searched around for something with Amazon prime streaming AND Netflix and found this.

Here are my basic questions:

1) I have an older (read: ancient) stereo which is currently plugged in via audio cable to the tv. Will this continue to work? It does have a 5:1 dolby system and it is Yamaha brand from the mid 90s.

2) Our television is / was only 780p, not true HD. We certainly DO plan to upgrade but probably not for another few months due to budgetary constraints. It is an older Sharp LCD. At Christmas I "met" and fell in love with a Panasonic VT series 55 inch ...

About a month ago we had a house sitter who insists she didn't "change" anything but the display now informs me it is only working in 480p mode. I have tried EVERYTHING in the menus and even reset but it seems like it might be broken. I promise you, I am not incompetent, there is no way to "change it back" I even tried changing all of the inputs.

I am plannning on calling Time Warner and upgrading our cable package when we get the new Blu-Ray player and I am desperately hoping it will turn out to be the box itself. If not, will this unit still work for our current television until we can replace it?

3) Is there a way to make this player region free? I have a large collection of Region 2 (UK) DVDs I would love to watch.

Thank you so much! If there are answers to these questions already please direct me and forgive me for asking again!

As others have already said, there is no way that you can configure your TV to only support 480P so what has happened is that your sitter (or some one else) accidentally pressed the button (or what it is called on your remote) on your cable remove forcing the cable box to go from 720p to 480p. These things are always controlled by the source and never by the display.

Regarding 3) yes you can make it region free for DVDs by using a remote that accepts pronto hex codes (I posted a link to a how to a while back) but AFAIK the US version of this player refuses to play PAL so even if you make it region free it might not play UK discs. But I might be wrong.

#6,267 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/21493720

1. The 310 is NOT the flagship, it's no different than the 110 or 210, except it has dual HDMI outs - sounds like you didn't need dual HDMI outs, so you wasted a bit of money that you could have prevented by doing simple research.

2. It's a Blu Ray player. It's not a streamer (there's other devices for that), although it can do it on a limited basis. Again, research is your friend.

3. Losing your temper over a piece of electronics? Please don't procreate.

4. Don't feed the troll.

I wanted the extra hdmi for a projector and since it states you can stream video and supports dnla why would I not think it could in fact stream video in a watchable quality?

I do know what your saying about losing my temper over a little box but after seeing could not connect for the last week and getting my e-,ails repeatedly ignored it was almost worth £180 for the release of my frustration!

#6,268 ·
Hey gang

n00b posting.

I bought the 110 blu ray and have it hooked up to my admittedly very old Denon 3600 with optical.

Dropped in the Star Wars Blu and hit play and my Amp's Dolby Digital clicked off with no audio coming out.

I am guessing that my Amp is old enough at this point that it cant handle some modern Blu rays probably doesnt decode them.

Is there an option to output Dolby Digital from the player? Any player output settings that would get DD out? I thought that DD was pretty standard audio codec.

TIA and Cheers!

#6,271 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmpre /forum/post/21494001

Unfortunately, I bought the model that does not have DTS built in.

Yeah I know, time for new Amp. Just hoping that I could I eek out a bit more life out of my old friend.

I upgraded a 5 y/o Onkyo a few months back because it couldn't do Dolby Digital Plus; in order to avoid licensing Dolby decoding tech, the Roku 2 merely passes DD+ from Netflix through and my old AVR couldn't deal, though I was using an HDMI input. All of the other devices I have, including the BDT110, can process the advanced DD and DTS formats (DD+, TrueHD, DTS-HD HR and DTS-HD MA) into multi-channel LPCM, which the old AVR could handle.

#6,273 ·

Quote:

I had a real username and password, I managed to get it set up through dlna but the quality was awful so I was told on another forum to try the network drive. I have been trying for the last week to get the thing to connect without success I even took yesterday off work to try, I finally lost it tonight. I mean whats the point in it being dnla compatible if you can't stream half decent quality films to it I bought the 310 as its the "flagship" some top model pmpl? It was a complete waste of £180 although the satisfaction of getting my frustration and anger out on the piece of junk was sooooooooooooo good! I will never buy a panasonic/technics again, they completely lied about its capabilities!

I understand, it really can be frustrating.

There are numerous posts here that describe the specifics of setting up a network drive as well as how to use DLNA with these players - and when to use one or the other. Search for posts from around the first week of Dec containing "network drive".

Of course if you already smashed the player it's too late. Also, there is the possibility that you had a defect unit.

That said, it is true that these players are not very flexible or easy to use file players. Let us know if decide to give it another shot. I think we can help you - with the player, that is ;-)

#6,274 ·

Quote:

I was going to say you should have saved it for a bedroom system but the twats disabled analog audio on blu-rays. WELL DONE!

#6,275 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmpre /forum/post/21494138

So have the 110 output to multi channel LCPM to optical...do I need to do anything on the amp side to process that?

Sorry, no such animal as multi-channel LPCM over optical; bandwidth is far too low. The only things that you can pass verf S/PDIF (optical or coax) is bitstreamed "basic" DD 5.1, "basic" DTS 5.1 and stereo PCM. My old AVR was HDMI-switching and could play 5.1 channel LPCM as passed to it via HDMI, not S/PDIF. It's limitation was not being able to decode any of the advanced DD and DTS formats and therefore not being able to handle 5.1 DD+ from the Roku 2 (the Roku cannot decode it for you), which I why I updated. Turns out bitstreamed 5.1 channel DD+ from the BDT110 (Netflix or VUDU) sounds better than the player's decode into LPCM.

#6,276 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenborg /forum/post/21494233

I understand, it really can be frustrating.

There are numerous posts here that describe the specifics of setting up a network drive as well as how to use DLNA with these players - and when to use one or the other. Search for posts from around the first week of Dec containing "network drive".

Of course if you already smashed the player it's too late. Also, there is the possibility that you had a defect unit.

That said, it is true that these players are not very flexible or easy to use file players. Let us know if decide to give it another shot. I think we can help you - with the player, that is ;-)

Not so sadly it's too late, I was furious words can't describe how that silly little box made me feel. I swear I was close to tears! Panasonic should

a) be ashamed of there non existent customer support,

b) hang there heads for deceiving customers as to this being dnla compliant, a piece of fruit I suspect would have played content more efficiently

c) releasing an expensive half engineered piece of junk.

I have just moved my living room t.v into the spare room I honestly can not look at the word Panasonic without feeling a rage come over me, to make matters worse the separates in my bedroom are technics.

My son will think Christmas has come again, feck even the hoovers that unmentionable make!

#6,278 ·

Quote:

Not so sadly it's too late, I was furious words can't describe how that silly little box made me feel. I swear I was close to tears! Panasonic should

a) be ashamed of there non existent customer support,

b) hang there heads for deceiving customers as to this being dnla compliant, a piece of fruit I suspect would have played content more efficiently

c) releasing an expensive half engineered piece of junk.

I have just moved my living room t.v into the spare room I honestly can not look at the word Panasonic without feeling a rage come over me, to make matters worse the separates in my bedroom are technics.

My son will think Christmas has come again, feck even the hoovers that unmentionable make!

You need to get a grip. Seriously, calm down.

#6,279 ·
I'm having problems setting up DLNA & Network Drive functions. The user's manual is useless. It only mentions Windows 7 as compatible but I know my XP Pro will run DLNA with Windows Media Player 11. But I must wonder if the 215 firmware is only compatible with W7. I have set up WMP 11 according to a tutorial for XP and placed some content into the library as directed by the tutorial. The 215 sees the DLNA server but not the test content. Instead it displays a group of pre-named folders that are not on my server nor am I directed to create these folders and place content in them. So. what to do?

The Network Drive function *sounds* much easier to setup however the setup screen asks for an IP address, (doesn't say of what) a folder name, (instead of a drive letter as I expected) a user name and password for what I do not know. I'm using a wired connection which I know works because I can stream Netflix and my DLNA server is visible. Suggestions appreciated.

#6,280 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1009 /forum/post/21494530

I'm having problems setting up DLNA & Network Drive functions. The user's manual is useless. It only mentions Windows 7 as compatible but I know my XP Pro will run DLNA with Windows Media Player 11. But I must wonder if the 215 firmware is only compatible with W7. I have set up WMP 11 according to a tutorial for XP and placed some content into the library as directed by the tutorial. The 215 sees the DLNA server but not the test content. Instead it displays a group of pre-named folders that are not on my server nor am I directed to create these folders and place content in them. So. what to do?

The Network Drive function *sounds* much easier to setup however the setup screen asks for an IP address, (doesn't say of what) a folder name, (instead of a drive letter as I expected) a user name and password for what I do not know. I'm using a wired connection which I know works because I can stream Netflix and my DLNA server is visible. Suggestions appreciated.

You will end up in a furious rage with this piece of junk, I tried for just over a week and then finally lost the plot last night! Either use it as a player only thing or do as I done, smash the fecker up and put it where it belongs in a bin!

#6,281 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdmt /forum/post/21494429

Just bought Se7en bd digibook at best buy the other day. It won't play on any of my players (got a 215, bd50 and ps3) and none of them will play it.

Does anybody else have this problem with this disc?

I own the disc. I played it on the oppo 93. I can test it on the panasonic 210 and ps3 slim for you. can you give more details? its just doesnt want to play, or get hung up?

Jacob

#6,283 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petie_gwm /forum/post/21448667

Hooked up my panasonic DMP-BDT210. Have optical out going to my onkyo tx-sr304. Watched about 1/2 hour of Rise of Planet of the Apes with incredible sound! But then the sound started going out. Now no sound at all. Tried turning off HDMI audio but that didn't help. Tried a different optical cable and that didn't work.

I have just purchased this player and I don't have an sd card installed yet. Don't know if this is the problem because tried a DVD and still no sound.

Before I send it back to amazon because of broken optical out am wondering if there is something I am doing wrong. I didn't touch anything when the sound started going out.

I can receive sound via HDMI but need to have optical for the dolby 3.5/5.1.

I received my replacement. Haven't played any new BR releases but had a thought. Could the sound have gone out because I didn't have an SD card installed. Rise of the Planet of the Apes said you needed it to view movie. Just a thought because maybe there was no room to buffer the movie so the optical stopped working? And that affected the optical out for everything else I tried playing afterwards?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.