AVS Forum banner
1M views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  glangford 
#1 ·
All things 110/210/310 here! Who has received theirs so far? What do you like? What could they improve? gogogo!

edit: my first impressions after a 30 minute test session:

Im a total noob when it comes to this 3d stuff and blu-ray players and whatnot, so take all of this with a grain of salt. I just got the BDT110 today, upgrading from a BDT100 that I only played with a couple times before selling it on ebay. The 100 was my first blu-ray, and this is my first experience with plasma technology and 3d technology. I got the Panasonic 50GT25 3d plasma just a couple weeks ago. This is just going to be a stream of consciousness of things I noticed in my quick 30 minute test drive...

Setup and updating the firmware was simple through my ethernet connection. I read a review on amazon where the dude said he wasn't able to do it over the internet and had to burn some iso disc to update his firmware and it was a big pain, but I had no such issues.

Right off the bat I started having quite a lot of handshake issues w/ my Onkyo receiver when switching back and forth between 2d and 2d-->3d conversion. When I'd switch, it would get a static screen, then a green screen, then it would go blank. Then, I'd hear only audio with a blank picture. "HDMI handshake" problems is the correct term for this, right? I'd have to restart everything and it kept happening--it was quite frustrating. I think there are firmware updates to fix this, correct? I don't think this ever happened with my BDT100. Any suggestions?

As far as the 2d-->3d conversion, it seems to do a better job converting a blu-ray than my 50GT25 does, so that's pretty neat. I tried it on Toy Story 3 blu-ray and it looked pretty cool. Not as good as a true 3d blu-ray naturally, but pretty neat nonetheless. I tried doing 2d-3d from Netflix content by pushing the "3d" button, but it nothing happened (or did it say "this feature not available"?). So I'm not sure if you can convert that content to 3d.

Another thing that may turn out cool is that you can put a vignette around the picture in 3d. Have you ever noticed how the edges on a 3d blu-ray can sometimes look real distracting how one eye will have the image off of the screen and the other eye the edge of the image will be on the screen? I'm sure there's a name for this but all i know is that it can really take away from the movie at times. Anyway, the 110 has an upgrade (from the 100) where you can put a black/gray/blue/red vignette around the edges so that edge artifact is nearly gone.

I'll have to play with the settings to get everything looking optimal, as there are so many damn things you can tweak (i.e., depth, .

The interface is really slick looking and seems intuitive. The Netflix upgrade from the 100 is great. You can now browse all titles, rather than just look at your instant queue and their suggestions. One thing that seems to be missing is that you can't browse just by HD content.

I tried burning an .mkv file of a blu-ray movie to a DVD-R and playing it, and although the resolution of the picture itself looked stellar, no audio was coming through and the video was really choppy, speeding up then slowing down. This is the first time I have ever burned any mkv files so it is distinctly possible that I did something wrong and this is of no fault of the player itself. Just throwing this out there...

A minor thing that kept pissing me off... When I'd put a movie in, I tried to press the "top menu" button to skip the previews and go right to the title menu of the movie, but it never seemed to work? I had to manually fast forward through previews and whatnot. I'm sure this is something I was doing wrong probably.

I'll update as I think of more things.

See less See more
#6,309 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 /forum/post/21501368

There is so much media playback software and software for streaming video.

DLNA is suppose to be an industry standard but looks like interoperability is hit and miss.

Maybe another way would be better, something like Air Video or Zumocast apps. which stream video to iOS devices.

There is no difference between DLNA and those iOS services that you list. It's just that software like Air Video is developed special for iOS so it knows exactly which formats iOS supports and therefore have built in massive transcoding to support other formats. All you have to do in order to get DLNA to work with the Panasonic is to get a DLNA server that transcodes all video formats to MPEG2 and all Audio formats to LPCM or MP3.

DLNA is a standardized protocol, it's not a standardized video or audio format. And most servers out there where created in order to supply PS3 and XBOX with media since they where early adopters. Unfortunately the DLNA creators forgot to add functionality in where the client tells the server which formats it supports. That would have saved a few hours for the users.

#6,310 ·
Well I bought one from amazon, $120 shipped + avatar offer

No one got back to me so if you see this please reply:

I will be streaming netflix wifi from the player, thats why i got the 210, because its supposed to have the best or one of the best gui interfaces for netflix.

is there a fix or way to avoid the black screen i kept hearing about?

#6,312 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by un55d6000 /forum/post/21502530

Well I bought one from amazon, $120 shipped + avatar offer

No one got back to me so if you see this please reply:

I will be streaming netflix wifi from the player, thats why i got the 210, because its supposed to have the best or one of the best gui interfaces for netflix.

If it's what I experienced, it's really not a big deal. The black flashes I saw were extremely brief -- less than one second.

On the other hand, and this could just be my imagination, I noticed that the netflix picture quality on the panasonic was better than the netflix picture quality on my PS3.

#6,313 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by un55d6000 /forum/post/21502530

Not that I've heard of. If you always get a solid connection to Netflix's servers you might never see it.

And you're right--it uses Netflix's Webkit/HTML5 "Special" variation UI, my very favorite. If it had support for the Netflix 1080p encodings I'd prefer it to Roku 2's player.

#6,314 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman3001 /forum/post/21502579

If it's what I experienced, it's really not a big deal. The black flashes I saw were extremely brief -- less than one second.

On the other hand, and this could just be my imagination, I noticed that the netflix picture quality on the panasonic was better than the netflix picture quality on my PS3.

OK so they are more like "blips" or lost signals that are very momentary...i thought from reading that it meant there would be minutes or even immeasurable delay in the stream, or u have to turn it off to stop it

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21502591

Not that I've heard of. If you always get a solid connection to Netflix's servers you might never see it.

And you're right--it uses Netflix's Webkit/HTML5 "Special" variation UI, my very favorite. If it had support for the Netflix 1080p encodings I'd prefer it to Roku 2's player.

ok, im glad its the best UI. is pan the only player that has iit except the toher u menteioned cuz thats what i needed. i just hope typing in the search isnt too tedious lol.....iave heard of this roku2 being great, but idk what it is

#6,315 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by un55d6000 /forum/post/21502750

OK so they are more like "blips" or lost signals that are very momentary...i thought from reading that it meant there would be minutes or even immeasurable delay in the stream, or u have to turn it off to stop it

I can't speak for what anyone else has experienced but what I experienced so far was just a couple of quick blips.

#6,316 ·

Quote:

It's like a frame or two--we common call them "black flashes". If they happen often enough they're pretty annoying. The problem is unique to these players, AFAIK. Some people never see them and some only see a couple at the very beginning of whatever they're playing.
Quote:
ok, im glad its the best UI. is pan the only player that has iit except the toher u menteioned cuz thats what i needed. i just hope typing in the search isnt too tedious lol.....iave heard of this roku2 being great, but idk what it is

I don't know if any other players has that interface any more. It used to be the interface on the PS3's player but they changed it recently. Netflix seems to be standardizing on the one now on the PS3--if these are ever updated again (seems unlikely) the UI could be changed.

Roku 2 is a multiple streaming service STB; Roku 2 is the size of a hokey puck, and draws less than 2 Watts in operation. Just go to roku.com and read all about it.

#6,318 ·

Quote:

OK so they are more like "blips" or lost signals that are very momentary

I just started up my 110 and after watching maybe 5 or so hours of Netflix content, had maybe a dozen "episodes" of the black flashing. At first I though it was a frame dropping but it seems longer than a single frame. They usually come in pairs, maybe a 1/2 second or so apart.

#6,319 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by un55d6000 /forum/post/21502892

ok thanks for replies

did u guys sell your avatars? how much did u sell em for? and how (cl or auction)

Many of us did. Some people bought multiple players and sold both the disc and the players for a profit

I sold mine via Amazon, though I think that may not be such a good option now since they've buried the listing ; if you search for "avatar 3d blu-ray", it doesn't show up until page 5 of the results, past a ton of unrelated junk. (Actually one listing for it shows up near the top of the results, but it just has a link to request notification when it's available and you can't sell anything under it).

The Amazon process is super-smooth and the buyer can pay them any way that they can pay for anything else on Amazon. It's also super easy and quick; you don't have to post a photo or description--that's all in the existing listing. I put mine up for $110 at 9 PM on a Friday (all but one of the other copies were listed for $130 at the time) and it sold by Saturday morning; I put it in the mail that day. I got to keep $90 after shipping costs, bringing the cost of my player down to $43 (bought it early last March).

The Panasonic exclusivity deal is over at the end of next month, so the value has been dwindling. Looks like recent auctions on eBay have ended from $126 to $103 (most $110 or less). If you just sent for yours it may well be available retail by the time you get it.

#6,320 ·
I bought my BDT-210 because #1 it was on sale ($139) and I wanted a stand alone 3D BD player besides my PS3 and #2 I wanted Avatar to keep. So, I got a great deal as well! Why pay $110 for Avatar when you can get it and a BD player for nearly the same price. If the extended cut of Avatar comes out in stores after the Panasonic exclusive deal, I'll get that as well.

#6,322 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS /forum/post/21504754

I'm looking for my first "3D Player" since were about to get a new TV...presently between a Panny GT51" and Samsung D7000 51" Plasma. Is there any major differences between the 210 and 310 models? It's basically about $50 or so difference.

The only difference is that the 310 has 2 HMDI outputs, useful for people who have a 3D TV and an AVR which is not HDMI 1.4a compatible. If you're in that situation you can run one HDMI output into the television and a second into the AVR. If you're not in that situation any difference in price is wasted money.

#6,323 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21504575

Many of us did. Some people bought multiple players and sold both the disc and the players for a profit

I sold mine via Amazon, though I think that may not be such a good option now since they've buried the listing ; if you search for "avatar 3d blu-ray", it doesn't show up until page 5 of the results, past a ton of unrelated junk. (Actually one listing for it shows up near the top of the results, but it just has a link to request notification when it's available and you can't sell anything under it).

The Amazon process is super-smooth and the buyer can pay them any way that they can pay for anything else on Amazon. It's also super easy and quick; you don't have to post a photo or description--that's all in the existing listing. I put mine up for $110 at 9 PM on a Friday (all but one of the other copies were listed for $130 at the time) and it sold by Saturday morning; I put it in the mail that day. I got to keep $90 after shipping costs, bringing the cost of my player down to $43 (bought it early last March).

The Panasonic exclusivity deal is over at the end of next month, so the value has been dwindling. Looks like recent auctions on eBay have ended from $126 to $103 (most $110 or less). If you just sent for yours it may well be available retail by the time you get it.

JUST GOT THE PAN 210 and im sendin the avatar mir form out now so i get b4 its released....ur right amazon blocked it btw....i guess auction then,btw the NETFLIX GUI IS AWESOME, almost better than ps3s

#6,324 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by un55d6000 /forum/post/21505993

ur right amazon blocked it btw....

Amazon didn't completely block it--you can offer it for sale in the listing at the link in my post. But if you search for "avatar 3d blu-ray" the listing that comes up at the top of the results is "blocked". Though that's the exact name of the listing that works, Amazon's fixed it so that it doesn't show up in the results until some 5 pages in after a large number of unrelated items. Seems unlikely that someone who came to Amazon to find it would see that.

#6,325 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21507117

Though that's the exact name of the listing that works, Amazon's fixed it so that it doesn't show up in the results until some 5 pages in after a large number of unrelated items. Seems unlikely that someone who came to Amazon to find it would see that.

Last week I sold a copy within a day for over a hundred using that listing. Note that Amazon and eBay charge different commission percentages so you need to take that into account.

#6,326 ·
I just sent mine off maybe 2 weeks ago so I hope to get it in time to make a little $ off of it. I don't expect it to cover the entire cost of my 110 but I would love to get maybe 90 after fees.

Maybe those that sell their copies from now on wouldn't mind posting where they sold them and how much they got???

#6,327 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/21507615

Last week I sold a copy within a day for over a hundred using that listing. Note that Amazon and eBay charge different commission percentages so you need to take that into account.

Cool--I guess that people are more persistent than I thought.

eBay is so very much more complicated to use. As I said before, with Amazon you don't have to write an ad or post a photo. Fill out a form to create a seller account (if you don't already have one), fill out a brief form to create your offer and you're done. When you've sold it, they'll even hook you up to postage.com to buy an addressed postage-paid shipping label with any of the available options.

#6,328 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21504961

The only difference is that the 310 has 2 HMDI outputs, useful for people who have a 3D TV and an AVR which is not HDMI 1.4a compatible. If you're in that situation you can run one HDMI output into the television and a second into the AVR. If you're not in that situation any difference in price is wasted money.

Thank you for letting me know that. This is connected to the Yamaha AVR only. Our current BR player is a Sony 2.5 yr old model. I've had a Panny DVD recorder and it's still going. how are the Pannys 3D Players in general compared to Sony and Samsung?

Kenny J

#6,329 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21507117

Amazon didn't completely block it-.............. Amazon's fixed it so that it doesn't show up in the results until some 5 pages in after a large number of unrelated items. Seems unlikely that someone who came to Amazon to find it would see that.

I was concerned about this as well, but like Charles R, mine sold quickly. Quicker than the first one I sold, as a matter of fact, which was sold back when there was still a working listing on the first search results page.

Quote:
Maybe those that sell their copies from now on wouldn't mind posting where they sold them and how much they got???

Sold two, both on Amazon, first about 2 months ago for $105 - snapped up within 24 hours. Recent "sold" values were running very cheaply on Ebay around then ($40 to $65) so I didn't want to sell it there. On Amazon, the lowest Avatar 3D selling competitors were listing for around $98 or a few dollars more, so I didn't want to go much higher than that.

In retrospect, I should have raised the price more. I typically provide much more thorough descriptions than other sellers and I've had over a five year history of selling there. Most of the Amazon Avatar sellers are "just launched" with no sales history and terse one line descriptions. If they even bother to provide a complete sentence. Doesn't exactly inspire much buyer confidence.

For the second disc, sold two weeks ago, I listed for $115, sold within 5 hours and there were at least five cheaper sellers than me. Kicking myself again that I didn't list it for even higher.

#6,330 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21507847

eBay is so very much more complicated to use. As I said before, with Amazon you don't have to write an ad or post a photo. Fill out a form to create a seller account (if you don't already have one), fill out a brief form to create your offer and you're done. When you've sold it, they'll even hook you up to postage.com to buy an addressed postage-paid shipping label with any of the available options.

Sorry to continue the OT, but eBay and Amazon work exactly the same with catalog items such as Avatar. You don't need pics or description. Buyer pays, you use eBay shipping, postal carrier picks it up.
Not complicated at all.

#6,331 ·
I'm new here as of today, AVS looks great. Several days ago I bought a BDT110, great for the internet and, I thought
I had no problem setting it up to connect to my router and it is connecting without problems. Now my problem, either I don't understand what is asked even though I am computer savvy, just not in this field.

I am urged to set up a "Network Drive" connection to play back photos, videos and music saved on my computer, it supports XP without installing additional software on my computer.

This where I get stuck!

Network drive setting requirements:

IP address (I presume that is the IP address for my computer?)

Shared folder ,the name of my shared folder is SharedDocs and it is located on my C: drive under 'Documents and settings / All Users.

User ID. Which user ID? My computer name or what?

Password. ??? which one???

I have tried several ways to fill this out and now I can't even remove the ones that don't work.

Also when it asks me about encryption key I was able to use my router password to get on, but what about SSID?

This is a lot to ask but any help to guide me is highly appreciated, there seem to be a lot of experts here from what I am reading which gives me some hope.

....Ott

#6,332 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by un55d6000 /forum/post/0

FLASH is the operative word. Last Netflix movie I watched (126 minutes) I had a pair of them in the opening titles and a second set during the closing credits. Other movies, nothing at all.

#6,333 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl /forum/post/21508398

Sorry to continue the OT, but eBay and Amazon work exactly the same with catalog items such as Avatar. You don't need pics or description. Buyer pays, you use eBay shipping, postal carrier picks it up.
Not complicated at all.

That's interesting. I've never seen a "catalog item" listing on eBay. I've gone there to check on prices for recent completed sales of "avatar 3d blu-ray" and all I get is a bunch of listings , all with a different image and individually worded ads.

EDIT: I see what you mean now--if you look at any item you can click a little link, "Sell one like this one"; it looks like it replicates that listing with any added information that you specified. I didn't know that--I just went to the "how to sell an item page" and got a headache trying to figure it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.