Forum Jump: 

post #7621 of 8497 Old 04-22-2012, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

No doubt true, though the 2012 and 2011 Panasonic 3D BD players are surely top candidates for "Best of the Year". For various reasons I chose to go with the 2012 Sony (mostly the Panasonic player's almost unusably unresponsive Netflix UI navigation; 90% of my time using the player would be playing Netflix video).

Yes, you're absolutely right, the Panny players did deserve to be among the top rankers. My comment was a general one about how media markets work. Thank you for setting the context right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7622 of 8497 Old 04-22-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post

90% of my viewing involves being away from Netfilx's borderline useless streaming content.

If Netflix isn't useful for you (as opposed to me and their 20-some-odd million other streaming subs) then obviously the strength of a BD player's Netflix app is irrelevant. That simplifies your decision .

At this point, I might watch 5 or 6 BDs a year--my PS3 is more than adequate for that. Currently the BD players are the most capable streaming boxes on the market for my needs, otherwise I wouldn't own a BD player at all. I was looking for a streamer with full-featured Netflix (1080p/5.1 sound/CC-capable), full featured VUDU and Amazon with 5.1 sound. The 2012 Panasonics fall just short of those qualifications, their Amazon players not having 5.1 sound. Additionally, as I mentioned, the UI of their Netflix player is amazingly unresponsive, particularly when navigating TV series episodes menus.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7623 of 8497 Old 04-22-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
While the 2011 models deserved that honor, I find it strange how the 2012 model was crowned king by CNET when they didn't even review or test the Sony which beats the panny on nearly every feature.
post #7624 of 8497 Old 04-24-2012, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
ok, i know i'm a bit late to this thread and all, but i was curious about one thing i noticed about my 210. if i switch video inputs on my 55" gt30 when the 210 is playing a blu-ray, when i switch back to the 210 the video settings on that video input automatically switches to the Cinema video setting, no matter what it was set at before i switched inputs. i tried the same thing when the 210 was in the settings screen, and it didn't happen, and it only happens when there's a blu-ray playing. is this a know issue with this player? i have the latest firmware update installed, if it matters...

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
post #7625 of 8497 Old 04-24-2012, 07:16 AM

Liked: 10
It doesn't happen on my GT25..... didn't matter if the Viera Link was off or on. Is the Cinema setting used on the BD or something else? The GT25 doesn't actually have a Cinema (named setting) but it didn't happen on THX, Standard or User either when I made the player Normal or Cinema. Most likely firmware on the GT30 or some obscure setting (though I will admit that normally ALL my HDMI inputs are set the same to THX, but I did change the BD to Normal and User once each).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX View Post

ok, i know i'm a bit late to this thread and all, but i was curious about one thing i noticed about my 210. if i switch video inputs on my 55" gt30 when the 210 is playing a blu-ray, when i switch back to the 210 the video settings on that video input automatically switches to the Cinema video setting, no matter what it was set at before i switched inputs. i tried the same thing when the 210 was in the settings screen, and it didn't happen, and it only happens when there's a blu-ray playing. is this a know issue with this player? i have the latest firmware update installed, if it matters...

post #7626 of 8497 Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsidlov View Post

It doesn't happen on my GT25..... didn't matter if the Viera Link was off or on. Is the Cinema setting used on the BD or something else? The GT25 doesn't actually have a Cinema (named setting) but it didn't happen on THX, Standard or User either when I made the player Normal or Cinema. Most likely firmware on the GT30 or some obscure setting (though I will admit that normally ALL my HDMI inputs are set the same to THX, but I did change the BD to Normal and User once each).

+1.
I also own the gt25. never had that problem with it either. I also use the thx settings.

Jacob
post #7627 of 8497 Old 04-24-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsidlov View Post

Is the Cinema setting used on the BD or something else?

i actually have never used the Cinema settings, ever. i used to use the THX setting myself on both inputs (cable and blu-ray), but since i found a set of Custom settings that i actually like, i use those now. that's how i originally noticed it, cause i was watching a Transformers blu-ray and switched to the cable input (cable is HDMI 2, blu-ray is HDMI 3) and when i switched back the the blu-ray i noticed that the screen was brighter. then i checked the menu and noticed that the video settings on that video input (and only that video input) switched from THX to Cinema. i then tried it a few times, to see if it was me or if was actually happening, and noticed that it happened every single time. but like i said, if a blu-ray wasn't actually playing and the 210 was on the menu screen, it didn't happen...

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
post #7628 of 8497 Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I have the BDT 210 and have been satisfied with it's performance, especially it's quick loading of Blu-rays. I don't care for:
1. The black flashes in Netflix
2. The absence of a real screen saver

I recently purchased a second BD player: A Sony BDP-S590. There are no Netflix issues that I've observed. But:

1. The front USB port (USB flash drives are used for storage) does not work. Only the rear port works.
2. Load time is a bit slower than the Panny.
It's being returned tomorrow for an exchange. I'd be pleased with it if it weren't for the faulty front USB port. The interface is quite nice-it's back to looking like the PS3 interface.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #7629 of 8497 Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 AM

I got the 210 for Christmas, and I've watched about 10 movies on it so far (mix of BluRay and DVD). Just like all players, the compulsory previews and warnings frustrate my attempts to get right to the movie every time.

The remote has many different menu buttons. Trying them all, I have not seen a consistent response from the various discs I've tried. Is the player's response software (on the disc) dependent? Has anyone figured out the best way to skip to the movie?

And I always seem to hit the main menu button which takes me to the player's main menu, requiring me to launch and wait through the previews all over again. Ugh! (I admit I may be a bit on the impatient side...)
post #7630 of 8497 Old 04-25-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveolddogs View Post

I got the 210 for Christmas, and I've watched about 10 movies on it so far (mix of BluRay and DVD). Just like all players, the compulsory previews and warnings frustrate my attempts to get right to the movie every time.

The remote has many different menu buttons. Trying them all, I have not seen a consistent response from the various discs I've tried. Is the player's response software (on the disc) dependent? Has anyone figured out the best way to skip to the movie?

And I always seem to hit the main menu button which takes me to the player's main menu, requiring me to launch and wait through the previews all over again. Ugh! (I admit I may be a bit on the impatient side...)

Try Fast Forward or Next Chapter buttons.

post #7631 of 8497 Old 04-25-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I own the BDT 110 and have it configured to convert Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD to Multi-channel PCM ... since my Yamaha Receiver V663 can handle MPCM only (no HD audio decoders).

This has worked flawless until the other day when I rented MI Ghost Protocol and wanted to check out the TrueHD 7.1 soundtrack. The Panasonic 110 is only sending 5.1 to the receiver. However, I have verified that the Panasonic is able to convert DTS-HD MA 7.1 correctly. It seems to have problems with TrueHD 7.1.

I also played the disc on my PS3 (configured to convert to MPCM as well) ... and the Yamaha sees it correctly.

Can anyone help out?
post #7632 of 8497 Old 04-25-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post

I own the BDT 110 and have it configured to convert Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD to Multi-channel PCM ... since my Yamaha Receiver V663 can handle MPCM only (no HD audio decoders).

This has worked flawless until the other day when I rented MI Ghost Protocol and wanted to check out the TrueHD 7.1 soundtrack. The Panasonic 110 is only sending 5.1 to the receiver. However, I have verified that the Panasonic is able to convert DTS-HD MA 7.1 correctly. It seems to have problems with TrueHD 7.1.

I also played the disc on my PS3 (configured to convert to MPCM as well) ... and the Yamaha sees it correctly.

Can anyone help out?

A note on page 39 of the manual states:
Quote:

*2 [BDT110] : The maximum possible number of Dolby sound is 5.1ch
PCM.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7633 of 8497 Old 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

A note on page 39 of the manual states:*2 [BDT110] : The maximum possible number of Dolby sound is 5.1ch
PCM.

Ouch! Thanks for the insight!

Strangely, it seems to have no problems converting DTS to 7.1 ... thankfully most of the discs I encounter are DTS.
post #7634 of 8497 Old 04-26-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:

It might as well have been me that wrote this post. This is my single biggest complaint with this device. I do not know whether it is the Bluray technology that makes it so freaking confusing, or this device specifically (since this is my first Bluray player I can't say), but I have been also very frustrated with the multiple menu buttons and the different responses you get based on what movie is in the device.
post #7635 of 8497 Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxster View Post

It might as well have been me that wrote this post. This is my single biggest complaint with this device. I do not know whether it is the Bluray technology that makes it so freaking confusing, or this device specifically (since this is my first Bluray player I can't say), but I have been also very frustrated with the multiple menu buttons and the different responses you get based on what movie is in the device.

Unfortunately this is disc authoring dependent, particularly rentals. Studios like Warner and Fox have disabled the skip button during previews. Only way to get through them is to FF. Fortunately Disney still utilizes the top menu button to bypass previews. Wish everyone did. I really, really hate Warner.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #7636 of 8497 Old 04-26-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

You can press the pop up button or top menu button (depending on disc) and you can skip all the trailers

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #7637 of 8497 Old 04-26-2012, 08:53 PM

Hi Guys,

I was enjoying my brand new BDT 110... when I wanted to start viewing my MKV collection... and then... I just started to hate my iMac... (hell no!)

The question is... How I can add a shared folder to the player? I tried making it on an VM of W7 and it works like a charm... but when trying from the OSX Lion... no way jose...

BTW, I have on the OSX side all the Windows users and permissions properly configured, and SBS activated... but I can´t figure out what´s wrong...

Any help or anyone else with the same "problem" like me?

Oh, and I tried in a thumb drive an MKV with DTS HD and it says "Audio Not Handled" or something like that, and no audio... but from Tron Bluray with DTS HD its ok (I mean Bluray disc)...

Thanks!
post #7638 of 8497 Old 04-27-2012, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajinchi View Post

Hi Guys,

I was enjoying my brand new BDT 110... when I wanted to start viewing my MKV collection... and then... I just started to hate my iMac... (hell no!)

The question is... How I can add a shared folder to the player? I tried making it on an VM of W7 and it works like a charm... but when trying from the OSX Lion... no way jose...

BTW, I have on the OSX side all the Windows users and permissions properly configured, and SBS activated... but I can´t figure out what´s wrong...

Any help or anyone else with the same "problem" like me?

Oh, and I tried in a thumb drive an MKV with DTS HD and it says "Audio Not Handled" or something like that, and no audio... but from Tron Bluray with DTS HD its ok (I mean Bluray disc)...

Thanks!

My Macs (iMac & MBP) don't play nice with the Panny file sharing. I don't care! i use Apple TV for that. It's worth it not to be sucked into the sluggishness of Windows. I refuse BootCamp or Parallels as well.

post #7639 of 8497 Old 04-27-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

My Macs (iMac & MBP) don't play nice with the Panny file sharing. I don't care! i use Apple TV for that. It's worth it not to be sucked into the sluggishness of Windows. I refuse BootCamp or Parallels as well.

LOL, thanks for your quick response.
I also own a jailbroken ATV2 but I don´t turn it on like from 3 months ago...
I don´t like how it takes streamed 3D SBS MKVs and a few more things... So I went this way, because I wanted to make some room in my setup, from a PS3 to play BD Movies and ATV2 for streaming, to this player, (2in1 LOL), I don´t use the PS3 for gaming, as I prefer the XBOX 360 but it sucks for streaming and no BD support, and I would like to fix this up from the sharing of the folder where I have the MKVs in the iMac and problem solved.
Also I have the Airport Extreme with the USB port for sharing an external HDD USB drive, a 2TB one I have around, but it does´t take it, do you know if I fix that, the Panny will take the share from the router?

Thanks again!
post #7640 of 8497 Old 04-27-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajinchi View Post

LOL, thanks for your quick response.
I also own a jailbroken ATV2 but I don´t turn it on like from 3 months ago...
I don´t like how it takes streamed 3D SBS MKVs and a few more things... So I went this way, because I wanted to make some room in my setup, from a PS3 to play BD Movies and ATV2 for streaming, to this player, (2in1 LOL), I don´t use the PS3 for gaming, as I prefer the XBOX 360 but it sucks for streaming and no BD support, and I would like to fix this up from the sharing of the folder where I have the MKVs in the iMac and problem solved.
Also I have the Airport Extreme with the USB port for sharing an external HDD USB drive, a 2TB one I have around, but it does´t take it, do you know if I fix that, the Panny will take the share from the router?

Thanks again!

I have an Airport Extreme, too. I only have my modem and printer usb connected to it but call Apple on this issue. Since I haven't had to connect an external HD (except for Time Machine), I wouldn't know how to help. it's worth some work arounds to have a nice smooth operating system, isn't it?

post #7641 of 8497 Old 04-27-2012, 09:40 AM

For this Panasonic blu ray player ...must use HDMI cable version 1.4 than can get 3D effect ?
post #7642 of 8497 Old 04-27-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

Agreed. That's one of the reasons I have the AppleTV2 as well. It's a nice complement to my BDT210.
post #7643 of 8497 Old 04-27-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I don't think there is such a thing as a version 1.4 HDMI cable, and even if there were what it would include over older cables is Ethernet over HDMI. I believe any HDMI cable that calls itself High Speed should work with 3D.
post #7644 of 8497 Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Chan View Post

For this Panasonic blu ray player ...must use HDMI cable version 1.4 than can get 3D effect ?

There is no such a thing as an HDMI 1.4 cable. The 1.4 designation is a hardware spec. All you need is a certified High Speed HDMI cable from a reputable dealer/mfr, and you don't have to spend a lot of money for one either.
post #7645 of 8497 Old 04-27-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
lol
post #7646 of 8497 Old 04-27-2012, 10:55 AM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QED-HDMI-R...92099957250614

Presently using this QED Reference HDMI Graphite in my system , so if I get the Panasonic BDT-110 and use back this cable , 3D output no problem since the packing did not say it support 3D playback.
post #7647 of 8497 Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
This is all you need :

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Monoprice 6ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI® Cable w/Ferrite Cores - Black
post #7648 of 8497 Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:

I have an Airport Extreme, too. I only have my modem and printer usb connected to it but call Apple on this issue. Since I haven't had to connect an external HD (except for Time Machine), I wouldn't know how to help. it's worth some work arounds to have a nice smooth operating system, isn't it?

LOL, yeah, it takes tons of work, but when it works... and you sit back to enjoy what you did, something new pops out, right?

I´ll try with Apple support and get back 2 u with what they tell me to try on.

Thanks mate!
post #7649 of 8497 Old 04-27-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Chan View Post

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QED-HDMI-R...92099957250614

Presently using this QED Reference HDMI Graphite in my system , so if I get the Panasonic BDT-110 and use back this cable , 3D output no problem since the packing did not say it support 3D playback.

To state the obvious, you also need a 3D display. 2-3 weeks ago, someone was puzzled why he couldn't get the 2D-to-3D conversion work with his 3D player. He didn't have a 3D display!
post #7650 of 8497 Old 04-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

To state the obvious, you also need a 3D display. 2-3 weeks ago, someone was puzzled why he couldn't get the 2D-to-3D conversion work with his 3D player. He didn't have a 3D display!

And if you are feeding the signal through a receiver, it has to be 3d capable also.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt110 3d 2d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Movies , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Dmp Bdt100 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Receivers Amplifiers , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Panasonic 1080p Blu Ray Player Dmp Bd35ak Brand , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - P50gt30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page