Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 8479 Old 04-09-2011, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post
THe other concern you should have is that the North American players won't play material that is encoded at 50 fps, like UK DVD's.
The PAL support feature in the enhanced firmware removes that restriction and allows playback of such content on North American Panasonic Blu-ray devices! The only thing you need is a TV which accepts PAL signals !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 8479 Old 04-10-2011, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post
People really need to quit buying components thinking it will stream or play any file. Get a dedicated media player, my WDTV Live plays all my MKV's.

I bought the 210 for a Bluray player and again I've had no issues with two 210's and Netflix. Even if none of the added features work I'll still keep it as a Bluray/DVD player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -RONIN- View Post
Agreed... Some people are never happy though so I doubt things would change.
NetFlix streaming is an advertised feature of the 210 that the customers paid for. It works perfectly on the 2010 350 model and there is no reason it shouldn't be working this year - for everyone. I really don't see your point.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #813 of 8479 Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

NetFlix streaming is an advertised feature of the 210 that the customers paid for. It works perfectly on the 2010 350 model and there is no reason it shouldn't be working this year - for everyone. I really don't see your point.

No you don't see the point exactly the meaning of my post. Besides I wasn't referring to Netflix which I have stated several times that I've had zero issues with two 210's.
post #814 of 8479 Old 04-10-2011, 02:41 PM

I emailed Panasonic asking about the Netflix problem being reported with the DMP-BDT210. Following is the response I got. I'd like to know if Panasonic owners can verify this.

Thank you for your inquiry. Currently, the Netflix feature is working correctly. If the feature does go down as a result of the BluRay player, a firmware update is released to fix it. The NetFlix feature is dependent on three major factors. The Internet connection, the NetFlix streaming servers and the BluRay player. Over the pass month or so NetFlix has been carrying updates on there server, which did cause problems for some consumers. All the issues have been resolved.
post #815 of 8479 Old 04-10-2011, 02:53 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmeush View Post

I emailed Panasonic asking about the Netflix problem being reported with the DMP-BDT210. Following is the response I got. I'd like to know if Panasonic owners can verify this.

Thank you for your inquiry. Currently, the Netflix feature is working correctly. If the feature does go down as a result of the BluRay player, a firmware update is released to fix it. The NetFlix feature is dependent on three major factors. The Internet connection, the NetFlix streaming servers and the BluRay player. Over the pass month or so NetFlix has been carrying updates on there server, which did cause problems for some consumers. All the issues have been resolved.

No, it is definitely not true. Shame on Panasonic for that one. Mine still does not work, and they definitely know it as I have been working with them on getting the issue resolved for me and many others that have the same problem by sending information to them back and forth for the past three weeks. They are supposedly working with Netflix to get it resolved, but responses like the one they gave here make me now wonder if they are really trying at all...

---Dave

My HT/Music System can be found here:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...iew&1301304581
post #816 of 8479 Old 04-10-2011, 05:28 PM

But how does the 210 preform as a bluray player? PQ and AQ wise? I'm just looking for a player for those to qualities.
post #817 of 8479 Old 04-10-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I have had no problems with my 110. Have watched several BluRay discs from Netflix, and they all played perfectly (unlike my problematic 51FD) and looked fantastic. Just streamed my first Netflix movie, and it also looked fantastic (definitely HD resolution).
post #818 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorrison View Post

I've read through most of the thread and didn't see this mentioned anywhere. I know that playing back large MKV files (> 4.5 GB) can't really be done via USB because of the lack of NTFS support. But what if those same files are put on a DVD+R dual layer or a BD-R? Has anyone tried that yet? If this works, I'll probably pull the trigger on a BDT210.

If u can format a hdd in exFAT u can play more .mkv files, including files > 5gb. My 110, and presumably the 210, have trouble with files where video bitrate >7000kbps and will not play 9000kbps files at all. 720p encoded files are usually < 6000. I think the bitrate limitations will hold true for -r and DL discs as well. Also, no support for .ts files.
post #819 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The Netflix problem seems to be with Netflix. This past weekend I had problems for the first time.

My 210 is hooked up to an LG LD550. Since I couldn't get connected to Netflix through the player I shut it down and went through the TV but I couldn't get in through there either. I disassociated the LG with Netflix and then activated it again. Although glitchy I did get it activated on the second try and was able to use Netflix. I then tried the 210 and it was working too.

The bad thing about the 210 is that there's no way to deactivate the account.

I've seen reports in different places, that other players are having problems too and I even had to reregister one of my roku's last month.

post #820 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

The Netflix problem seems to be with Netflix. This past weekend I had problems for the first time.

My 210 is hooked up to an LG LD550. Since I couldn't get connected to Netflix through the player I shut it down and went through the TV but I couldn't get in through there either. I disassociated the LG with Netflix and then activated it again. Although glitchy I did get it activated on the second try and was able to use Netflix. I then tried the 210 and it was working too.

I've seen reports in different places, that other players are having problems too and I even had to reregister one of my roku's last month.

Strange. My Windows Media Center 7 and Xbox 360 had no trouble playing Netflix this weekend.
post #821 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 08:42 AM

Liked: 11
I am correct that the only difference between the bdt110 and bdt210 is the fact the wifi is built into the 210?
post #822 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutheater View Post

I am correct that the only difference between the bdt110 and bdt210 is the fact the wifi is built into the 210?

I posted this link earlier in the thread, I'll post it here again:
http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Ha...-Players.shtml
post #823 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 AM

I haven't had the best luck with video streaming with this model, but I've been enjoying just playing videos through the front USB port with a portable flash drive.

As of a few days ago, the unit doesn't recognize any video on that flash drive, regardless of format. It had been working fine with all formats, in fact. Now it doesn't see any compatible video media on it. Photos, but nothing else. Not even a menu.

I really miss this function, and gather others here are having the same problem. I haven't been able to get much help from Panasonic on this, either.

Has anyone with this issue heard anything from Panasonic? My assumption is this somehow related to the last firmware update.

I've looked through this and other threads, and don't see that anything is happening in the solution department, so I'd very much appreciate it if anyone has some information on this issue. Thanks very much.
post #824 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I don't think it is with Netflix... I can get Netflix all the time with my bdt 350 and my Sony 55nx810 tv. It is the 210 ( and 110 I dare say). That said, part of the problem is Netflix can't "see" the player in my and many others cases. That might not be the same issue you had.

---Dave

post #825 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 478
The strange thing is that most of the rest of us aren't seeing this problem. I have the 110 and its Netflix player works just fine. I'd blame it on you location, but you have another Panasonic BD player whose Netflix player works.

Does the BDT350's Netflix player have that same HTML5 interface?

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #826 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The strange thing is that most of the rest of us aren't seeing this problem. I have the 110 and its Netflix player works just fine. I'd blame it on you location, but you have another Panasonic BD player whose Netflix player works.

Does the BDT350's Netflix player have that same HTML5 interface?

Different interface... and the Sony has a different interface as well.

---Dave

post #827 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:

I don't know about on your BD player, but I was forced to use mine yesterday evening to watch something (I'd loaned my PS3 to my housemate). It was early evening and it happened several times over the hour (the pilot of Glee which I'd never caught over the air; the first season recently became available as a Netflix streams), including during the middle of it. I was paying very careful attention and my impression is still that it only happens during switches to higher or lower bit rate encodings. Those switches don't necessarily have to be due to the speed on the line between you and your network service provider's CO (the only speed that your provider can give any guarantee of); it can be latency which has developed in any part of the path through the network from you to Netflix' CDN servers. It could even due to those servers being overwhelmed by heavy traffic and unable to scoop data out to you fast enough to keep up.

I do know that when I watched that episode of Glee yesterday evening it was switching frequently, occasionally dipping down to some really ugly low bit rate stuff on my supposedly-25-Mbps cable service and every black flash was prior to an encoding switch. It's difficult to be sure, but I don't think that there was a black flash before every encoding switch.

Quote:

I think that the BDT110's version of the player tries to do the same thing, but not very successfully. Like everything else, it starts up stream playback much slower than the PS3 and, as you said, generally with a few of those "clumsy" encoding switches.

I'm finding that I generally only get reliably high bit rate service to streaming server in the morning, before 11. Somewhere between 11 and noon things heat up and get a bit patchy. I think that some adjustments need to be made to handle rapidly mounting network traffic from streaming video which haven't happened yet, at least not in my neck of the woods.

My 110 showed the blank flash screens quite frequently while watching a movie last evening. Often I will get double blank flashes in quick succession instead of just one. In many cases I don't see a change in the PQ when it happens. I even ran my Roku along side it, switching back and forth in ten minute increments, and the Roku played the same movie without a single rebuffer screen. You would think if the 110 was having trouble with the stream, so would Roku. It is as if the new Panny models have very little tolerance to deal with bitrate variances that occur during peak viewing times.

Interestingly, this morning/afternoon I watched the same movie I watched last night (and another as well) and I so far I have experienced no blank flashes.

Last night I also used the Vudu free rental credit to view a movie from that company's platform and it played perfectly.
post #828 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just received my free 3D Avatar today. Hopefully it has a 2D version on the disc as well (I don't have a 3D display yet).
post #829 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Addict View Post

My 110 showed the blank flash screens quite frequently while watching a movie last evening...

I've been getting exactly the same thing. Please report the issue to panasonic because they appear not to be aware it's a widespread issue. I've exchanged several emails with support, and they are still clueless. They've had me do hard resets, change resolutions, change out all my cables. I've done all those things to humor them and at least escalate the issue. In fact they are about to replace my player, although I know this won't do any good. I think the more reports come in, the sooner they will take a serious look at it.

Like you, I can plug my BDP-65 into exactly the same network cable and watch a 2 hr HD Netflix title flawlessly. In fact, my 65 has always performed flawlessly (at least with Netflix). I plug in my 110, and the same title gives me random blank flashes. I thought they were related to stream rate changes, but I could be wrong. Sometimes I get no flashes at all. Other times I get several.

I love all the great new features on these new models, but the netflix thing is very annoying.
post #830 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Just received my free 3D Avatar today. Hopefully it has a 2D version on the disc as well (I don't have a 3D display yet).

Bill, how long did it take?
post #831 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
I even ran my Roku along side it, switching back and forth in ten minute increments, and the Roku played the same movie without a single rebuffer screen. You would think if the 110 was having trouble with the stream, so would Roku.
I don't think that the Roku is using the same set of encodings as the PS3. The original encodings were WMV3 with WMA soundtracks; they fairly quickly switched to lower bit rate WMV9 (aka VC-1) encodings with WMA sound, to which the Xbox was the last player to switch. (VC-1 is a more efficient encoding than WMV3 and encodes into fewer bits with the same level of PQ). When the PS3 came out, they created a set of AVC encoding with DD2.0 sound which only the PS3 had access to. When the disc-free HTML5-based PS3 player came out they added 1080p encodings to the AVC set (I believe that they're present in nearly all of them, though someone recently pointed out some titles to me that didn't have them). They also added 5.1 sound to some of titles (currently seems to be in the neighborhood of 25% of HD titles--I've identified 500, which can be seen in the top post this thread).

Now these BD players, Apple TV and the Boxee Box have access to 5.1 sound (I suspect that Boxee Box might have access to the 1080p encodings, but I don't have one to test). These BD players and Boxee Box are all using the same HTLM5 GUI that the PS3 is, that they're also using some versions of the underlying streaming engine. I think that all of the other players are still using the VC-1 encodings.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #832 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Bill, how long did it take?
4 weeks
post #833 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I don't think that the Roku is using the same set of encodings as the PS3. The original encodings were WMV3 with WMA soundtracks; they fairly quickly switched to lower bit rate WMV9 (aka VC-1) encodings with WMA sound, to which the Xbox was the last player to switch. (VC-1 is a more efficient encoding than WMV3 and encodes into fewer bits with the same level of PQ). When the PS3 came out, they created a set of AVC encoding with DD2.0 sound which only the PS3 had access to. When the disc-free HTML5-based PS3 player came out they added 1080p encodings to the AVC set (I believe that they're present in nearly all of them, though someone recently pointed out some titles to me that didn't have them). They also added 5.1 sound to some of titles (currently seems to be in the neighborhood of 25% of HD titles--I've identified 500, which can be seen in the top post this thread).

Now these BD players, Apple TV and the Boxee Box have access to 5.1 sound (I suspect that Boxee Box might have access to the 1080p encodings, but I don't have one to test). These BD players and Boxee Box are all using the same HTLM5 GUI that the PS3 is, that they're also using some versions of the underlying streaming engine. I think that all of the other players are still using the VC-1 encodings.
michaeltscott,

Do you think this issue with these new BD players can be fixed via a firmware upgrade (or some other way) if enough of us bring it to Panny's attention? My 30-day return timeframe is about up, and although I love every other aspect of this player, this NF problem is really bothering me. I want the 110 to be my sole source for NF viewing, but not if these blank flash screens are gonna be the norm from here on out.
post #834 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Like you, I can plug my BDP-65 into exactly the same network cable and watch a 2 hr HD Netflix title flawlessly. In fact, my 65 has always performed flawlessly (at least with Netflix). I plug in my 110, and the same title gives me random blank flashes. I thought they were related to stream rate changes, but I could be wrong. Sometimes I get no flashes at all. Other times I get several.

I love all the great new features on these new models, but the netflix thing is very annoying.
It's odd that the previous Panny models do not have this problem but the new ones do.
post #835 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
It's odd that the previous Panny models do not have this problem but the new ones do.
Previous Panny Netflix app also doesn't support 5.1 audio and search. You're comparing apples to oranges.
post #836 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
4 weeks
Same here. Just received mine in about 4 weeks turn around.
post #837 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
i sent my main for avatar at the beginning of march and got it at the end of march. it was a few weeks.

Jacob
post #838 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 05:46 PM

Hey guys, I have the 210 and I cannot get the 4:3 Netflix movies that I watch to show up in 16:9. I have selected 16:9 full in the display settings but it still displays in 4:3. The same movie will show up in 16:9 on my LG BD390. Any thoughts?
post #839 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I got mine today also. Mailed in on 3/5, posted 3/24 and arrived today. And if you've not discovered it yet there is a 2D option.

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.
post #840 of 8479 Old 04-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys, sorry to be lazy but I have a quick question: Is the Panasonic reliable and relatively easy to install?

I just went through a nightmare w/ my Oppo 93 and all I really want now is something that will reliably play 3d bd's and give me minimum aggravation.

Thanks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt110 3d 2d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Movies , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Dmp Bdt100 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Receivers Amplifiers , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Panasonic 1080p Blu Ray Player Dmp Bd35ak Brand , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page