post #991 of 8480 Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornillo View Post

I could really use some help here with my 210. I've had it about a month now.

My preferred hook up, is HDMI out of the BR to HDMI in on my TV.

On the first hook up, I couldn't get the video to lock up. It began blinking on/off every two seconds. I switched out cables to one I had bought my son, that day for his xbox.

That seemed to be the end of it, when 2 days ago, it began the quick "blinking" again. Every one or two seconds. I have tried different inputs on the TV. If I hold the cable against the BR, I can get the video to stay, for maybe 5 seconds before the blinking begins again.

I'm going to try another cable but should they really last more than a month? I think something deeper is going on.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Thanks!

Where did u get it? still in the return period? if so you should and get a new one just to be safe, with the 30 days coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 8480 Old 04-17-2011, 10:36 AM

Hi, has anyone figured out how to create a firmware update disk for Panasonic using ImgBurn?
thx
post #993 of 8480 Old 04-17-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck62 View Post

Hi, has anyone figured out how to create a firmware update disk for Panasonic using ImgBurn?
thx

The question should be has ImgBurn author figured out a way to create firmware update disk that is compatible with Panasonic?

Last I heard (a while back when I was using Panny BD60), ImgBurn can't create firmware update disks for Panny players. Haven't heard any progress from the developer behind ImgBurn.
post #994 of 8480 Old 04-17-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck62 View Post

thx

You can get Panasonic's instructions for updating this with a burned disc here; they recommend just using Windows CD burning software--place a blank disc in the drive (click CANCEL if a dialog pops up asking you what to do with it), select the firmware file in Windows Explorer, right-click and choose "Send To->DVD RW Drive" (or whatever it calls your drive).

Of course, you might be trying to do this using some other OS; if so, never mind .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #995 of 8480 Old 04-17-2011, 01:07 PM

I have the BDT210 and love its performance but I've noticed that during blu-ray movie pausing the screen saver never activates. I have the screensaver setting turned on so any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks!
post #996 of 8480 Old 04-17-2011, 02:31 PM

I know this sounds dumb, but does anyone know if the DMP-BDT310 will offer a remote with a subtitle button?
post #997 of 8480 Old 04-17-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd968 View Post

I have the BDT210 and love its performance but I've noticed that during blu-ray movie pausing the screen saver never activates. I have the screensaver setting turned on so any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks!

My 210 has the same behavior.
post #998 of 8480 Old 04-17-2011, 07:03 PM

Concerning the Screensaver: I hope they fix this soon with a firmware update; unless someone else has found a work-around for now.
post #999 of 8480 Old 04-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I wrote earlier about streaming at high bit rates, but today it was dropping audio and stuttering after about 5 or so minutes at high bit rates...so, I am thinking about returning it for good and getting the Sony370. apparently they have improved the netflix interface, and it is much better as a media player-though I will miss the DMR funcationality.

As to the screen saver, I have the same problem, it never turns on, and the only thing it does do is dim the screen if I have it on the home page. Pandora does have a ssaver though.
post #1000 of 8480 Old 04-17-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinghard View Post

Well, I wrote earlier about streaming at high bit rates, but today it was dropping audio and stuttering after about 5 or so minutes at high bit rates...so, I am thinking about returning it for good and getting the Sony370. apparently they have improved the netflix interface, and it is much better as a media player-though I will miss the DMR funcationality.

Are you sure about your model #? I came from a Sony 570 and its Netflix interface is the worst I've ever seen. There is nothing (no category, no search) but your instant queue. And there is no DMR functionality at all. Its DLNA is also worse than Panny's. I can't make it stream any HD video at all without my PC doing the transcoding.
post #1001 of 8480 Old 04-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Are you sure about your model #? I came from a Sony 570 and its Netflix interface is the worst I've ever seen. There is nothing (no category, no search) but your instant queue. And there is no DMR functionality at all. Its DLNA is also worse than Panny's. I can't make it stream any HD video at all without my PC doing the transcoding.

Well, they just relesaed a new firmware that has improved the netflix interface. I know it has categories, but I am watiing on a response as to the actual search function.

As to the media player, I had a terrible time with the DLNA-but I was also on Vista. I am not sure if the difference is because of my upgrade to windows 7 or the change to the Pany

HOWEVER, the big difference is really the ability to play via USB. The sony can pretty much handle any format at all via usb, where as almost no video files at all will play via USB on the pany. Not even my home videos recorded with my pany, or any of the files I have saved from my wifes japanese shows. I cant really understand it...I mean, MKV consist of a lot of possible formats, but so far I have found nothing that works for me via USB...

I will hate losing the DMR, but for some reason it is stuttering on me too now. Though usually it will go about 8 minutes or so, then a quick pause puts it back on track...still irritating.

As to formats via DMR, I downloaded Video Converter Factory Pro. It does conversion between formats and offers a variety of formats in both sd quality and HD quality. The only high definition format I have been able to make that plays back is AVCHD, and the .wmv, .asf are the only SD formats I have been able to play via DMR, and they are capped at VERY low bitrates that make them look like crap. While there is a higher quality .wmv format, it will not recognize, nor will any of the others. Really frustrating to have to convert all of my wifes japanese videos into really low quality that come out like crap to play you know? Honestly, I thought Mpeg2 would work...but to no avail yet, nor .avi (though I hear this may work via USB, I have not tried that yet).

Still learning, but I know the USB functionality of the Sony is far superior. I really want to keep the pany though...but...ugh. Seems more fiscally responsible to get a decent external hard drive and focus on playing via USB on the Sony. I mean, if I end up buying a media player in addition, then the only think the pany does that is unique is the blu ray discs-which is nice...but makes me question if I even should have even buy it at all when so much of what I need is not in disc format, you know?
post #1002 of 8480 Old 04-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

I mean...not just mine, all of ours

Page 31, while playing and pausing, etc, this function is not available.
post #1003 of 8480 Old 04-17-2011, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Seems more fiscally responsible to get a decent external hard drive and focus on playing via USB on the Sony. I mean, if I end up buying a media player in addition, then the only think the pany does that is unique is the blu ray discs-which is nice...but makes me question if I even should have even buy it at all when so much of what I need is not in disc format, you know?

Just get a dedicated media player, either keep the panny or return it. I did without a Bluray player for quite some time and just used my WDTV Live. But my internet provider decided to impose caps so I purchased the Panny and joined Netflix (again). It just pushed me into doing it sooner.

I still download MKV's at 1080p with a 500gb cap but get the Bluray disc when quality matters more.
post #1004 of 8480 Old 04-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

So, after my long email above, I decided to give my conversions another try, and I have just come away even more confused.

I have .avi video.

I converted it into several formats:
Mpeg2-12Mbs AC3
Mpeg 2-8Mbs AC3
Mpeg2-8Mbs Mp3
h.265 mp4-8Mbs AC3
.wmv 8mbs default audio.

However, there are soem problems.

First, I changed each of the names in order to clearly identify which file I had converted. Of these changed names, only the Mpeg2 files and .wmv actually show the changed name.

The other files I converted all show up as the Japanese TV Show 804(new). Even though I changed the name, the new name is not showing up on the Media player. Thus, all of the Non-Mpeg 2 formats are showing up as the same name.

ALL OF THESE (except the high quality .wmv) ARE BLACK-they are NOT grayed out. I can click on them, the screen goes black, it shows the title and play in the upper right, then suddenly it says can not connect to media player and kicks me back to the DLNA page.

Also, when I use the Mpeg2 simply says Media format not supported, but the other files say "failed to retrieve media information"

I have updated media in my wmp, and wmp recognizes and plays all of them.

To make matters even more confusing, the original. avi files I copied from our disc were originally labeled 200804, 200805, etc. I relabeled these to the "Japanese TV Show 804" etc, and they are NOT showing up with the new title either (these are all greyed out)

Any idea what the situation is? Seems like I am doing something wrong maybe? I ran another test with h264 mp4 6Mbs AAC, and I left the name the same...but it does not even appear in the DLNA at all.
post #1005 of 8480 Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:

HOWEVER, the big difference is really the ability to play via USB. The sony can pretty much handle any format at all via usb, where as almost no video files at all will play via USB on the pany. Not even my home videos recorded with my pany, or any of the files I have saved from my wifes japanese shows. I cant really understand it...I mean, MKV consist of a lot of possible formats, but so far I have found nothing that works for me via USB...

Still learning, but I know the USB functionality of the Sony is far superior. I really want to keep the pany though...but...ugh. Seems more fiscally responsible to get a decent external hard drive and focus on playing via USB on the Sony. I mean, if I end up buying a media player in addition, then the only think the pany does that is unique is the blu ray discs-which is nice...but makes me question if I even should have even buy it at all when so much of what I need is not in disc format, you know?

tell me about it. i've found pannys (tvs and bd players) to be terrible in terms of being able to handle video files. my samsung products will play almost anything. i went as far as to make a donation to install a custom firmware on my 110, which i thought would allow for divx playback, but that was a bust. it did allow for region free dvd play though. i'm keeping mine, as i've sent away for the avatar 3d disc already. at the end of the day, it's only about $130 (if you got the 110) for a decent bd player, so it's not that big of a financial investment.
post #1006 of 8480 Old 04-18-2011, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I was reading through some of the reviews of the DMP BDT-210 on Amazon and noticed that a few of the reviewers preface their evaluation with:

"I don't play Blu Rays or DVDs... I got this primarily to stream from Netflix, Vudu, etc"...

and then go on to pan the streaming capabilities of the BD player.

I understand that streaming is supposed to be a feature of this and most newer Blu Ray players. But IMO, streaming is a secondary feature of Blu Ray players... not a primary. Its like buying a nice Rolls Royce for the music system, parking it somewhere so you can listen to the sound, and then giving the car a bad review because the sound system can't approximate your home entertainment center. It becomes frustrating because you have to sift through some of those post to get to the point in question with the player... how well it does it's primary job.

I don't want to sound overly touchy, but I'm of the thinking that the primary job of a Blu Ray player is to do exactly that... the best job possible of playing Blu Ray disks and up-converting DVDs. The rest of the features, are secondary IMO. There should be other options out there to stream content from the web, if that is the primary concern of a buyer.

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #1007 of 8480 Old 04-18-2011, 08:29 AM

Hi, new member here, and am hoping you wizards can help me out with a problem a lot of people seem to be having.

My BDT210 is on a wireless-n network with a Netgear DGN2000 modem/router. I'm running Windows 7 Home x64. I've enabled sharing and streaming on the network, and all firmware is current. But I can't get the player to recognize the Windows Media Player when I "play to" a media file in the DLNA mode. My PC sees the player, but no matter what I do I can't get the player to see the PC, then eventually the connection times out and Media Player tells me "Failed to connect to the server." Based on a few threads about similar problems with other DLNA TVs and players, I've tried disabling firewalls both in the router and in Windows; I've also tried assigning a static IP address to the player outside of the router's range--to no avail.

Otherwise the player seems great so far. Streaming Netflix and other web content works fine--which makes my DLNA problem all the more puzzling. Any takers?
post #1008 of 8480 Old 04-18-2011, 09:52 AM

As a follow up on the subject of the remote iPhone/iPad app....
The suggestion a few pages back did work for me. The remote would only work on my iPhone if I turned off the cellular radio (airplane mode with wifi turned on). This would be a great fix if I didn't want to use my phone as a phone.
So I have a deactivated iPhone ...that I was going to set up with the remote. Unfortunately, as others have noted, Panasonic has pulled the app from the store. Hopefully they are fixing this limitation.
post #1009 of 8480 Old 04-18-2011, 09:59 AM

On a different subject....
People seem to be having varying degrees of success with playing files from USB. I understand that the player is limited in it's file support, but the manual does state MKV compatibility. What MKV formats/bitrates are supported/ideal is not stated.
Can anyone that has had success with USB video playback point me in the right direction on how I should convert DVDs and be successful? I'm not looking to download movies, but I would love to be able to have a USB hdd with all of my DVDs on it and available. Should I use handbrake? Another program? What conversion formats/settings? Thanks in advance for any assistance! I'd personally prefer Linux solutions ...but XP works for me too.
post #1010 of 8480 Old 04-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsBane View Post

I was reading through some of the reviews of the DMP BDT-210 on Amazon and noticed that a few of the reviewers preface their evaluation with:

"I don't play Blu Rays or DVDs... I got this primarily to stream from Netflix, Vudu, etc"...

and then go on to pan the streaming capabilities of the BD player.

I understand that streaming is supposed to be a feature of this and most newer Blu Ray players. But IMO, streaming is a secondary feature of Blu Ray players... not a primary. Its like buying a nice Rolls Royce for the music system, parking it somewhere so you can listen to the sound, and then giving the car a bad review because the sound system can't approximate your home entertainment center. It becomes frustrating because you have to sift through some of those post to get to the point in question with the player... how well it does it's primary job.

I don't want to sound overly touchy, but I'm of the thinking that the primary job of a Blu Ray player is to do exactly that... the best job possible of playing Blu Ray disks and up-converting DVDs. The rest of the features, are secondary IMO. There should be other options out there to stream content from the web, if that is the primary concern of a buyer.

All in one is, of course, ideal. Blu rays are nice, but for me it is really about avchd discs combined with the streaming. I may move to a streaming device, but am still considering the Sony for its improved USB compatability.
post #1011 of 8480 Old 04-18-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

I understand that streaming is supposed to be a feature of this and most newer Blu Ray players. But IMO, streaming is a secondary feature of Blu Ray players... not a primary.

If you read this thread you'll see the same lack of Blu-ray and DVD playback discussion. Why? Because virtually every Blu-ray player will perform almost identically regarding Blu-rays and closely followed by DVDs. The subtle differences can be debated but most often fall into one's preferences than actual better or worse. Regarding streaming... I wonder what the average Streaming to Blu-ray/DVD viewing ratio is? I know for me it's well over 20 to 1.
post #1012 of 8480 Old 04-18-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

As I said before, I bought this BD player primarily as a streamer and don't anticipate using it much if ever to play discs.

The best and least expensive (and most dignified) streamers seem to be BD players today. Both Apple TV and Roku seem to be underpowered for 1080p video (though I could be wrong--I'll believe it when one of them manifests a 1080p capable VUDU player). The others are more expensive than BD players which can handle the same things. Boxee Box is probably at least as capable as these BD players, but it's costly and hideous. (When will the parade of garish, oddly shaped boxes intended for home entertainment systems freakin' end??? I want my flat, stackable, primarily black 17" wide pizza boxes, dammit)! Some of the streams from the storage and networking equipment OEMs may be good, but they're just as expensive and not well advertised.

post #1013 of 8480 Old 04-18-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinDC View Post

Hi, new member here, and am hoping you wizards can help me out with a problem a lot of people seem to be having.

My BDT210 is on a wireless-n network with a Netgear DGN2000 modem/router. I'm running Windows 7 Home x64. I've enabled sharing and streaming on the network, and all firmware is current. But I can't get the player to recognize the Windows Media Player when I "play to" a media file in the DLNA mode. My PC sees the player, but no matter what I do I can't get the player to see the PC, then eventually the connection times out and Media Player tells me "Failed to connect to the server." Based on a few threads about similar problems with other DLNA TVs and players, I've tried disabling firewalls both in the router and in Windows; I've also tried assigning a static IP address to the player outside of the router's range--to no avail.

Otherwise the player seems great so far. Streaming Netflix and other web content works fine--which makes my DLNA problem all the more puzzling. Any takers?

In Network and Sharing Center on your PC, check to make sure you have granted permission for your player (which will show up in the drop down list) to play medias.
post #1014 of 8480 Old 04-18-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMaudio View Post

On a different subject....
People seem to be having varying degrees of success with playing files from USB. I understand that the player is limited in it's file support, but the manual does state MKV compatibility. What MKV formats/bitrates are supported/ideal is not stated.

According to a comaprision chart posted on Panny web site, the 2011 Panny players can play AVCHD and MPEG video, inside MKV container or not. That's the only information we can get from Panny. AVCHD spec has specific requirements for both video (a limited list of resolution and codec (MPEG2 and AVC) and their compression requirements) and audio (PCM and AC3). In my own experimentation, any slight deviation from the spec will result in video not recognizable or not playable.
post #1015 of 8480 Old 04-18-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I understand that streaming is supposed to be a feature of this and most newer Blu Ray players. But IMO, streaming is a secondary feature of Blu Ray players... not a primary.

All depends on the situation. I'll give you two examples. We do most of our Blu Ray watching in our theater, and most of our Netflix streaming in the living room. However, we do occasionally watch (actually, it's mostly my wife) a BD in the living room, so we purchased a Blu Ray player (was the Panny 350, now the Panny 110) to accomplish the streaming and the secondary feature is that it plays Blu Rays.

My father was here this weekend (he's 75) and loved the fact that we were streaming Netflix and he wants to do it. He already has a blu ray player (that he only uses once or twice per month), but it's a couple of years old and has no streaming features. At first, I was going to have him buy a Roku, but then I realized that he'd never be able to get it hooked up and re-program his Harmony (he lives on the other side of the country, doesn't have an HDMI receiver, his HDMI ports on his TV are maxed out and I've always programmed his Harmony for him via internet and just had him plug it in and update it). So, instead he's going to buy a Panny 110 to replace his older Panny Blu Ray player. This will allow him to just "plug and play" and I can then tweak his remote. He'll probably stream Netflix just about every day and play BD's occasionally.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #1016 of 8480 Old 04-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

All depends on the situation. I'll give you two examples. We do most of our Blu Ray watching in our theater, and most of our Netflix streaming in the living room. However, we do occasionally watch (actually, it's mostly my wife) a BD in the living room, so we purchased a Blu Ray player (was the Panny 350, now the Panny 110) to accomplish the streaming and the secondary feature is that it plays Blu Rays.

My father was here this weekend (he's 75) and loved the fact that we were streaming Netflix and he wants to do it. He already has a blu ray player (that he only uses once or twice per month), but it's a couple of years old and has no streaming features. At first, I was going to have him buy a Roku, but then I realized that he'd never be able to get it hooked up and re-program his Harmony (he lives on the other side of the country, doesn't have an HDMI receiver, his HDMI ports on his TV are maxed out and I've always programmed his Harmony for him via internet and just had him plug it in and update it). So, instead he's going to buy a Panny 110 to replace his older Panny Blu Ray player. This will allow him to just "plug and play" and I can then tweak his remote. He'll probably stream Netflix just about every day and play BD's occasionally.

It is nice to have one machine function in many capacities. I supposed with the elevated interest of having BD players also double as a streming machine, manufacturers will have a stronger inclination to invest more in the streaming technology. Of course, streaming vendors and the web infrastructure would have to also improve. I'm not sure there are streamlined and consistent protocols between all these vendors. And I think that is the problem... a unified implementation of protocols doesn't really exist.

For me, one of the biggest enticement to retain the disk format, (Blu Ray), is the improved picture quality and specially sound quality in a good home system. How would the streaming format compare?

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #1017 of 8480 Old 04-18-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

In Network and Sharing Center on your PC, check to make sure you have granted permission for your player (which will show up in the drop down list) to play medias.

Thanks. That's one of the first things I did. All the permissions and sharing seem to be in order. Could this be more of a router problem?
post #1018 of 8480 Old 04-18-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And I think that is the problem... a unified implementation of protocols doesn't really exist.

There are efforts to create an open adaptive bit rate streaming protocol, backed by Netflix and some other users of the technology. I ran across a white paper on this online but I've forgotten what it was called.

I suppose with an engine for such a standard protocol and Webkit on all of the platforms, the providers, like Netflix, VUDU, Amazon, Blockbuster, etc, could create dynamically downloadable interfaces to their offerings (like Netflix' "3.0" UI, but with a standard ABR protocol streaming component. I'm not sure that I see all of the providers being interested in adopting such a thing, though.

post #1019 of 8480 Old 04-18-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:

A better analogy would be buying a cordless drill, and finding out after you get it home that it drills well, but that it can't drive screws. Or that it can, but only certain types, and with no documented specifications.

A drill is sold as a drill, sure, but that doesn't necessarily make it the "primary job". I own several drills, but use them more as drivers than drills. Sure they sell dedicated electric screwdrivers ...and drills that you'd only ever drill with. Most people buy drills that can do both, and both are main functions.

The folks who buy this unit are buying it for its advertised feature set. If the disc playback features were an issue they'd be discussed at length. Instead, it's been 34 pages of discussions of the features that don't work optimally. In this case, blu-ray and dvd upconvert both look great. I'm still not having luck driving screws with my 110, though.
post #1020 of 8480 Old 04-18-2011, 01:48 PM

Bought a 210 yesterday and was able to play around with it a bit.

Watched Saving Private Ryan on BR and thought the picture quality was as good as any player I have had. I was a little POd at the sound quality until I figured out I missed a setting.

This player is much better than an old Sony I had which took forever to load and the PQ and SQ were passable, but not that good. It at least rivals the two LG590s and one LG390 I had.

I watched Avatar BR in 2D>3D and didn't see anything very special. However it was still enjoyable to watch.

The only netapps I have tried are weather, Pandora, trailers on VUDU, and Netflix. Pandora worked better on the 210 than on the 590s, which had sound drops every 30 to 45 minutes. Trailers on VUDU looked fine, but will have to try an HDX movie to really rate how it works. Netflix did not work at all.

Streaming music from the PC over the network went without a hitch. I don't stream anything else.

I have not sent in for my free movie, because I may still return the 210. I more than likely would not stream from Netflix, but I find it very disappointing that I can't do it, so I may just return it.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt110 3d 2d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Movies , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Dmp Bdt100 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Receivers Amplifiers , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Panasonic 1080p Blu Ray Player Dmp Bd35ak Brand , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page