post #1261 of 8480 Old 04-29-2011, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

+1

Applying logic and common sense, let's follow a bit from the disc to your receiver: Read a bit from disc then send it on it's way down the HDMI cable. Chances noise from the analog video processing circuits will change that bit's state are nil. If it does, there is a serious design flaw which would affect every digital video device in existence. High Clarity sound is pure marketing BS.

You are correct in that High Clarity Sound does not affect signals which get passed as bitstream through the HDMI connection but you also don't understand how "High Clarity Sound" really works.

It only affects signals which pass the internal decoders and sound processors of the BD player and that's where it makes sense to disable the analog video section to reduce noise.

This means it will only affect signals which get decoded and processed by the BD player and forwarded as PCM trough the HDMI connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 8480 Old 04-29-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Is anybody using Serviio with the 110 or 210? If so, would you please post a working profile? I'm using the Viera profile, but the only video files it will play are MTS (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264). I think transcoding all file types to this would do the trick. But I don't know how to make the profile myself.

TIA
post #1263 of 8480 Old 04-29-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceOfCake View Post

It only affects signals which pass the internal decoders and sound processors of the BD player and that's where it makes sense to disable the analog video section to reduce noise.

This means it will only affect signals which get decoded and processed by the BD player and forwarded as PCM trough the HDMI connection.

It doesn't make any sense either. Internal decoders are just digital decoder that can't be affected by analog noise either.

When HCS first appeared on BD-80, it kind makes sense because BD-80 has multi-channel analog audio output. 210 has no such output.
post #1264 of 8480 Old 04-29-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

It's not worth my time to buy two nearly identical players and A/B them.

If you can find a post in this thread or a review anywhere on the web stating that the 210 "sounds better", you let me know.

Or, better yet, why don't you buy them both and let us know your findings.

I gather you aren't aware, but that function is a selection -- no need to compare two different players. Selecting it either makes a difference to a genuinely concerned listener with a 210, or it doesn't. From earlier posts I've seen in this thread, I know some people are specifically concerned about AQ, I'm just guessing some of those have played with this feature. No question the implementation in this player may be ineffective, but that's what I'm hoping to find out!

PS. Of course, there's also the possibility that function only helps with CD playback in this player, which could still be useful for people with that need. However, I'm specifically trying to learn whether it makes a difference with the HDMI sound, not CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

It doesn't make any sense either. Internal decoders are just digital decoder that can't be affected by analog noise either.

When HCS first appeared on BD-80, it kind makes sense because BD-80 has multi-channel analog audio output. 210 has no such output.

Anyone can make absolute pronouncements regarding technical reality without having the background to support them. However, it's not as simple as that, even though most find that explanation perfectly sensible and therefore automatically correct. All I care about is whether some genuinely concerned persons have personally evaluated the effect of that feature and been able to draw some conclusions one way or the other. There's no point in arguing or debating the merit of this question, so please don't!
post #1265 of 8480 Old 04-30-2011, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

Anyone can make absolute pronouncements regarding technical reality without having the background to support them. However, it's not as simple as that, even though most find that explanation perfectly sensible and therefore automatically correct. All I care about is whether some genuinely concerned persons have personally evaluated the effect of that feature and been able to draw some conclusions one way or the other. There's no point in arguing or debating the merit of this question, so please don't!

This forum is all about discussions and debates. So, if you don't want to hear it, go elsewhere. Please don't tell others what they can or can't do. After all you're not the mod nor the owner of this site.

If there is any interest on this Panny feature, there should have at least one double blind test now since it first showed up couple years ago. But even the reputable professional reviewers didn't tale any interest on testing this feature.
post #1266 of 8480 Old 04-30-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:

This forum is all about discussions and debates. So, if you don't want to hear it, go elsewhere. Please don't tell others what they can or can't do. After all you're not the mod nor the owner of this site.

If there is any interest on this Panny feature, there should have at least one double blind test now since it first showed up couple years ago. But even the reputable professional reviewers didn't tale any interest on testing this feature.

Respectfully well said. Nice post.
post #1267 of 8480 Old 04-30-2011, 11:06 AM

I just got the 110, my first blu ray player. Netflix works great and I like the interface. I've only watched 2 blu rays on it so far but it seems pretty good.

I'll have to do more testing, but I think DVD upconversion is actually worse than the DVD player I was using previously- a Samsung DVD player/receiver/home theater that came free with my Samsung plasma. It looks like the 110 is adding a lot more "noise," but it could also be that I'm looking at it with a more critical eye.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has played around with the various settings? Namely, the Advanced Video Settings.

I'll play around with them and make my own observations, but I was wondering what people could tell me about these settings, whether they help or hurt the image, what they actually do, etc. The manual, imo, provides very little information re: what these settings actually do.

So, here are the settings I'm wondering about, along with their description in the manual:

Chroma Process - "This high-resolution processing of HDMI chroma signals produces a high-resolution picture with rich picture quality."

Detail Clarity - "The picture is sharp and detailed."

Super Resolution - "Pictures of normal image quality are corrected to sharp and detailed images when output as 1080i/1080p from HDMI AV OUT."

Progessive - "Select the method of conversion for progressive output to suit the type of material being played. When the content is distorted change the settings from 'Auto' to 'Video.'"

24p - "Movies and other material recorded on DVD-Video at 24p are output at 24p. Only when you have selected 'On' in '24p Output.'"

Black Level Control - "Select lighter or darker for adjusting the black level control to the desired setting for picture enhancement."

HDMI Color Mode - "This setting is for selecting color-space conversion of the image signal when the unit is connected using an HDMI cable."

My natural instinct is to turn most of the features off or to their lowest setting, but I'll definitely have to play around with them (on my TV, I turned off all of the "enhancements" because I thought they made the picture look worse).

My TV is a 50" plasma, 720p native, Samsung PN50B450, connected to the 110 via HDMI.

I'm also wondering what the best output setting is, given my TV- Auto, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p.
post #1268 of 8480 Old 04-30-2011, 12:31 PM

Any issues with Pandora? Mine doesn't seem to have any sound.
post #1269 of 8480 Old 04-30-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyevil View Post

Any issues with Pandora? Mine doesn't seem to have any sound.

I have listened to hours of Pandora on my 210 and not noticed anything. What I have noticed is that some songs on the station I listen to are not as good as others. I write that off to the original recordings, especially some live recordings from days gone by.

What are you hearing that makes you say it doesn't sound good?

oooops....I think I may have misunderstood your message. You are not getting any sound?
post #1270 of 8480 Old 04-30-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
the super resolutions I would turn off. I think you will find the PQ to be much better after you turn that one off.

Jacob
post #1271 of 8480 Old 04-30-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker2 View Post

I have listened to hours of Pandora on my 210 and not noticed anything. What I have noticed is that some songs on the station I listen to are not as good as others. I write that off to the original recordings, especially some live recordings from days gone by.

What are you hearing that makes you say it doesn't sound good?

oooops....I think I may have misunderstood your message. You are not getting any sound?

Yep, I get sound in every app but Pandora.
post #1272 of 8480 Old 04-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigand View Post

I just got the 110, my first blu ray player. Netflix works great and I like the interface. I've only watched 2 blu rays on it so far but it seems pretty good.

I'll have to do more testing, but I think DVD upconversion is actually worse than the DVD player I was using previously- a Samsung DVD player/receiver/home theater that came free with my Samsung plasma. It looks like the 110 is adding a lot more "noise," but it could also be that I'm looking at it with a more critical eye.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has played around with the various settings? Namely, the Advanced Video Settings.

I'll play around with them and make my own observations, but I was wondering what people could tell me about these settings, whether they help or hurt the image, what they actually do, etc. The manual, imo, provides very little information re: what these settings actually do.

So, here are the settings I'm wondering about, along with their description in the manual:

Chroma Process - "This high-resolution processing of HDMI chroma signals produces a high-resolution picture with rich picture quality."

Super Resolution - "Pictures of normal image quality are corrected to sharp and detailed images when output as 1080i/1080p from HDMI AV OUT."

Progessive - "Select the method of conversion for progressive output to suit the type of material being played. When the content is distorted change the settings from 'Auto' to 'Video.'"

24p - "Movies and other material recorded on DVD-Video at 24p are output at 24p. Only when you have selected 'On' in '24p Output.'"

Black Level Control - "Select lighter or darker for adjusting the black level control to the desired setting for picture enhancement."

HDMI Color Mode - "This setting is for selecting color-space conversion of the image signal when the unit is connected using an HDMI cable."

My natural instinct is to turn most of the features off or to their lowest setting, but I'll definitely have to play around with them (on my TV, I turned off all of the "enhancements" because I thought they made the picture look worse).

My TV is a 50" plasma, 720p native, Samsung PN50B450, connected to the 110 via HDMI.

I'm also wondering what the best output setting is, given my TV- Auto, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p.

Thanks for asking about these, I'm looking for the same advise.

Although I'll like to add one more to your list, the Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr, should it be set at 444 or 422.
post #1273 of 8480 Old 04-30-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

the super resolutions I would turn off. I think you will find the PQ to be much better after you turn that one off.

Jacob

Thanks, that definitely worked. The default was at 1. Any idea what all the other settings do?
post #1274 of 8480 Old 04-30-2011, 06:34 PM

I popped in a few DVDs today just see how they looked. I thought it was odd that I was unable to turn on subtitles for some of the movies while they were playing (hit Display and go to Disc). I could only get the subtitles to work if I went to the options or setup menu (particular to each DVD) before I started the movie and turned them on there. Once the movie was playing, I could not turn the subtitles off through Display>Disc- I had to go back to the DVD's actual menu.

Not a huge deal, but it's odd. The problem occurs with Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, but not with Best in Show or Kung Fu Hustle. Anyone else have that problem with any DVDs?
post #1275 of 8480 Old 04-30-2011, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

answers below.

Jacob

I belive that I have that one off.

I have it off as well.
off.
auto
I beleive this works only if you can do 1080P.

if you are using HDMI then leave it alone.

post #1276 of 8480 Old 05-01-2011, 01:14 AM

Still wondering if anyone is having a similar problem. All internet features work on my 210 when hardwired to the router. When I connect to the wireless, none of the internet features work. Before installing 1.59fw Netflix worked wirelessly but the Viera Cast features did not. I have a 802.11g router and wonder if I need a 802.11n router instead.

Any ideas to make this work? Anyone with a 802.11g router having 100% success using the wifi on their 210?
post #1277 of 8480 Old 05-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I looked at a 110 and 220 when I was at Target yesterday-you've got to be kidding me? The outputs are sadly lacking-I mean really-composite video, stereo right and left, hdmi, that's it?-no componet, no coaxial or toslink digitial, no way I'd buy one of these. I'll stick with my BDP2500, thank you.
post #1278 of 8480 Old 05-01-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post

I looked at a 110 and 220 when I was at Target yesterday-you've got to be kidding me? The outputs are sadly lacking-I mean really-composite video, stereo right and left, hdmi, that's it?-no componet, no coaxial or toslink digitial, no way I'd buy one of these. I'll stick with my BDP2500, thank you.

Better get used to it. With the analog sunset kicking in this year, every player will be like that, not just panasonic. If you need analog, you'll have to hang on to that old player forever.

However, I think you didn't look hard enough. The 110/210/310 most certainly have toslink. Component video has always sucked on all blu-ray players (480i only for DVDs), so I'm not going to miss it. And my receiver can't handle 8 channel analog audio. So I won't miss that either. Besides the netflix blanking issue, I'm quite pleased with mine.
post #1279 of 8480 Old 05-01-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post

Welcome to 2011.
post #1280 of 8480 Old 05-01-2011, 12:32 PM

I have been waiting for BDT310 for months, does anyone know the reason for delay? Could it be due to the recent quake in Japan?
post #1281 of 8480 Old 05-01-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Was using the 110 today to stream a TV show from my wife's laptop.

The show was in HD and when we stream the same show directly to the Samsung TV in our bedroom via the TV's streaming app, the show is in HD and fills the entire screen.

When streamed via the 110 to the Mits display in our living room, it appears to be SD and it's letterboxed on all 4 sides.

Why would this be? Is there a setting on the 110 to adjust? Or is it a TV issue?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #1282 of 8480 Old 05-01-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Was using the 110 today to stream a TV show from my wife's laptop.

The show was in HD and when we stream the same show directly to the Samsung TV in our bedroom via the TV's streaming app, the show is in HD and fills the entire screen.

When streamed via the 110 to the Mits display in our living room, it appears to be SD and it's letterboxed on all 4 sides.

Why would this be? Is there a setting on the 110 to adjust? Or is it a TV issue?

Unless your TV show is recorded/converted into AVCHD, that's what you will get. The DLNA feature on the player supports a very limited choice of video formats.

In fact, what you see is your PC doing the transcoding on the fly.
post #1283 of 8480 Old 05-01-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unless your TV show is recorded/converted into AVCHD, that's what you will get. The DLNA feature on the player supports a very limited choice of video formats.

In fact, what you see is your PC doing the transcoding on the fly.

So, I guess our Samsung TV has much better streaming built in?

A bit of a bummer, but it's not a feature we use very often anyway.

post #1284 of 8480 Old 05-01-2011, 04:22 PM

Just got the DMP-BDT210 today and for the life of me, I cannot get the 2D to 3D upconversion feature working. The PS3 was previously my 3D player and it worked great for me. I wanted this thing because my Mitsubishi 65" DLP did not have the 3D upconversion feature.

1. Default settings are not working as 3D is set to Full HD (2D)
2. 2D to 3D is always greyed out with Side By Side Settings
3. 2D to 3D is not available when set to Checker board

Panasonic hung up on me 3 times today. Any help would be appreciated. If I can't find a solution, this baby is going back.
post #1285 of 8480 Old 05-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I'm ready to buy either one of these players but I'm hung up on which one. If I can get away with spending less for the 110 I'd do it but I'm worried about two things.

1. If I buy the 110 and use the wireless feature I have to buy that expensive wireless adapter Panasonic sells or can I use a wireless usb stick I already have?

2. If I don't decide to go wireless I have to hard wire the 110 to my router but I have to buy a switch and that's gonna put me near the price range of the 210.

Is it better to just buy the 210 rather than buy the inexpensive 110 and have to probably use additional hardware just to get access to the web features?

Just a fella who loves good sound.
post #1286 of 8480 Old 05-01-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

you want the good news or the bad news. I dont have good news. it seems that dlp sets cannt do 2d-3d conversion. you can use the checkerboard for regular 3d.

trust me. you are not missing much.

Jacob
post #1287 of 8480 Old 05-01-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you want the good news or the bad news. I dont have good news. it seems that dlp sets cannt do 2d-3d conversion. you can use the checkerboard for regular 3d.

Jacob

I can run my 110 on Full HD through the Mits adapter and to my Mits DLP for 2D - 3D conversion.

post #1288 of 8480 Old 05-01-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Jacob

Yeah, I had a feeling. It's just so odd that with the PS3 + Mitsubishi 3DA-1 3D Adapter, 3D Blu-rays and games worked perfectly. I was assuming it was using a similar signal and would have been a quick swap since, but I guess not. I've tried 2D upconversion from Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 on the PC and yeah, not that impressive. If it's about the same results, then yeah not missing much. If there is no other solution, it looks like a return to the store.
post #1289 of 8480 Old 05-01-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:

I can run my 110 on Full HD through the Mits adapter and to my Mits DLP for 2D - 3D conversion.

How'd you do that? When I try 3D Setting: Full HD, I get the message: This Operation Is Not Available. when hitting the 3D button on the remote.

Nevermind...figured it out. I was running the connection through an HDMI switcher. I guess the player didn't like it. Now, it's Player to Adapter to DLP. But, the 3D effect is so minimal, I feel ripped off. LOL. Thanks guys.
post #1290 of 8480 Old 05-01-2011, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Yeah, I agree it's not worth the trouble. PQ is WAY better in plain vanilla 2D! Set my 210 back to checkerboard so I can run it through my Onkyo 607 (1.3) receiver with out using the Mits adapter and still enjoy Bluray 3Ds in 3D.

Ed
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt110 3d 2d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Movies , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Dmp Bdt100 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Receivers Amplifiers , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Panasonic 1080p Blu Ray Player Dmp Bd35ak Brand , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page