Sony BDP-BX58 and BDP-S580 Owner's Thread-all questions/comments belong here - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 796 Old 10-06-2011, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes I have full blurray rips and noticed once it gets above 35mb/s it shutters. Full gigabyte to the player. Except the player and my file server only gave 100mb nic. Ordered a gigabyte nic for server hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 796 Old 10-12-2011, 05:04 AM

Just installed gigabit nic and still starts to studder at 35mbps. Recap full gigabyte to player and still cannot handle full blurry rip. Guess ill have to encode with constant bitrate around 30 mbps. Hope to not lose much quality.
post #273 of 796 Old 10-13-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatter9999 View Post

I picked up my S580 about 2 weeks ago to replace a Samsung blu-ray player that was consistently refusing the wireless connection.

The S580 is doing better although I still notice some outages. Is it true that any online content (Netflix, Pandora, etc) is stream THROUGH a Sony server? And when that Sony server is down, all services are down? I think that happened Thursday night. Nothing would work (even though all my other wireless devices in the house were fine) but then everything was okay on Friday.

Also, I'm interested in using Pandora more on my S580, but I find the volume normalization really distracting. When a song first starts, it's pretty loud. Over the first 5 seconds the volume fades back to a reasonable volume. But then if there's a quiet part of the songs (even for a second) the volume shoots up to compensate, but then the song gets loud again and the volume is way too high for a few seconds.

Any way to turn volume normalization off for Pandora? At this point, I find it unusable.

Id like to know what exactly happens when you have problems with the internet features of this player, how the "outage" manifests itself, etc. I ask because we bought the Costco version of this player recently, have been experimenting with the various streaming video feeds, and we've noticed that we sometimes get what seems to be a lockup condition. It doesn't happen often, but when it does the only way out seems to be a reboot via holding down the the power on/off switch. At first I assumed the problem was that we're using fairly slow DSL wirelessly, but it'd be nice to know for sure that the box isn't broken!
post #274 of 796 Old 10-14-2011, 05:59 AM

Hello all,

I hope this isn't a totally dead thread because I need an opinion on whether something is wrong with our BDP-BX58.....

Every so often we get a lockup condition in the middle of a streaming video. In other respects the player works fine, and most of the many streaming videos play well and without incident. However though it's infrequent, when this lockup happens the video stops and the screen reverts to the built-in Sony blue screen, the one with the light colored horizontal streak of light in the center. When this has occurred, I've watched it for several minutes and nothing happens. Eventually I assume it's fully locked up, and so do a reboot of sorts via holding down the the power on/off switch.

My first guess was that we're seeing a network disruption of some kind and that the player doesn't handle these well. However isn't this unlikely? Wouldn't Sony design the thing to take into account such a presumably common occurrence?

Another alternative is that the internet connection is wireless and relatively slow (display shows 2.8 MB/s), so maybe this is causing buffering errors. But again, wouldn't this be a problem for many users and something Sony would have accounted for?

Can anyone offer an opinion on this problem?
post #275 of 796 Old 10-14-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D-H View Post

Hello all,

I hope this isn't a totally dead thread because I need an opinion on whether something is wrong with our BDP-BX58.....

Every so often we get a lockup condition in the middle of a streaming video. In other respects the player works fine, and most of the many streaming videos play well and without incident. However though it's infrequent, when this lockup happens the video stops and the screen reverts to the built-in Sony blue screen, the one with the light colored horizontal streak of light in the center. When this has occurred, I've watched it for several minutes and nothing happens. Eventually I assume it's fully locked up, and so do a reboot of sorts via holding down the the power on/off switch.

My first guess was that we're seeing a network disruption of some kind and that the player doesn't handle these well. However isn't this unlikely? Wouldn't Sony design the thing to take into account such a presumably common occurrence?

Another alternative is that the internet connection is wireless and relatively slow (display shows 2.8 MB/s), so maybe this is causing buffering errors. But again, wouldn't this be a problem for many users and something Sony would have accounted for?

Can anyone offer an opinion on this problem?

i havent experienced the streaming **** down you have mentioned, i use netflix quite a bit and have recently used the amazon and vudo options as well, ive ot my player hooked up wirelessy, i have a 3.0 dsl speed, so when i stream it maxes out at the 2.8 you mention,

i have had other issues of lock ups from time to time, ill be watching a blu ray and when i go tto shut the player off it wont do anything i usually end up unplugging it to do a restart and that usually takes care of it,

hope this helps
post #276 of 796 Old 10-14-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp34gsh View Post

i havent experienced the streaming **** down you have mentioned, i use netflix quite a bit and have recently used the amazon and vudo options as well, ive ot my player hooked up wirelessy, i have a 3.0 dsl speed, so when i stream it maxes out at the 2.8 you mention,

i have had other issues of lock ups from time to time, ill be watching a blu ray and when i go tto shut the player off it wont do anything i usually end up unplugging it to do a restart and that usually takes care of it,

hope this helps

Yes, this helps - thanks!

So far DVD and blu-ray playback have been fine (knock on wood). All I've seen are occasional problems with streaming videos, and frankly I don't what to make of it. We can watch streaming movies, TV shows, podcasts, etc., and can do this for hours without even a tiny hiccup. Then in the middle of some video, bang, lockup (or what seems like one -- maybe if I had waited for 10-15 minutes it would have rectified itself?).

Between what you've seen and what we see here, it begins to sound like this player is, well, slightly flaky. Or might it be the video feeds themselves? If it is the feeds, Sony needs to make this player more resistant to network disruption. Well at this point I suppose we'll keep it and hope for a firmware update sometime soon which will take care of its ills.

If anyone else has seen lockups or can shed light on all this, please let me know.....
post #277 of 796 Old 10-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I hooked up my BDP-S580 to my Yamaha RX-V667 receiver via 1.4 HDMI cables.
The receiver is hooked up to my Sony Bravia KDL60NX720 3D LED HDTV via 1.4 HDMI cable.
Did the firmware updates for both the tv and the blu-ray player.
After setup I popped a BD in the player and hit play.
Beautiful picture but NO SOUND!!!
So I went back and unplugged all the cables and plugged them back in.
Then I turned everything off in my HT system and then turned everything back on (reboot) and still NO SOUND!!!
What am I doing wrong?

post #278 of 796 Old 10-16-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Does hdmi 1.4 cable make a difference? I don't think there are extra wrings in there compared to the 1.3, just higher bandwidth capability.

I did have issues with the sound, sometimes, the sound would be gone and either I have to power it off or unplug its AC connection.

Another time, When output resolution was set to auto, it got stuck on 480p and would not sync up at 1080p. I have to unplug its AC power for it to revert back to 1080p. I had to manually set output rez to 1080p.
post #279 of 796 Old 10-16-2011, 04:36 PM

Is there anyway to download additional "apps" like Rhapsody, etc ?
post #280 of 796 Old 10-17-2011, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwang View Post

Another time, When output resolution was set to auto, it got stuck on 480p and would not sync up at 1080p. I have to unplug its AC power for it to revert back to 1080p. I had to manually set output rez to 1080p.

How do you manually set output rez to 1080p?

post #281 of 796 Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

How do you manually set output rez to 1080p?

Its in setup display menu, I don't remember exactly, but there is one part, where it is a like a setup wizard where it first asks you the input type, then asks you the resolution. From there you can select Auto, 480i...all the way up to 1080p.
post #282 of 796 Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwang View Post

Its in setup display menu, I don't remember exactly, but there is one part, where it is a like a setup wizard where it first asks you the input type, then asks you the resolution. From there you can select Auto, 480i...all the way up to 1080p.

Thanks

post #283 of 796 Old 10-18-2011, 11:55 AM

I need some help with this player and wondering if someone can help me out with it. Reading the manual it indicates that if you hit the option button while watching a 3D BD, a menu will appear allowing you the adjust the 3D depth. I've tried this on numerous occasions and only get a menu to turn 3D on or off. I also have a Panny DMP-BDT300 and it also offers the same 3D depth adjustment feature. When using the Panny in the same setup with the same 3D disc, I can get the 3D depth adjustment menu to appear. What am I not doing correctly on the Sony to get this menu to appear? Like I said everything is the same as I'm taking out the Panasonic and plugging the Sony into it's spot and vice versa.

TIA!

Adrian
post #284 of 796 Old 10-18-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
the 58/580 does NOT have the 3D depth option, only the 780 has... it is an error in the manual...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #285 of 796 Old 10-19-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

the 58/580 does NOT have the 3D depth option, only the 780 has... it is an error in the manual...

Thank you for the information. At least I'm not getting crazier than I already am. I'll return it and keep my Panny.
post #286 of 796 Old 10-19-2011, 09:47 AM

I have a Sony s580 bluray player. It will play .m2ts files. I have been playing with it streaming my full bluray rips. I have full gigabit to the player from my ubuntu box. The movie begins to stiffer around 35 mbps. Player has an info bar that displays the bitrate. I have searched the forums but can't seem to find a way to keep my bitrate has high as possible in order for player to run smooth. Handbrake will let me set at a max 20 mbps average bitrate. Anyways wanting to know the best way to bring my .m2ts file and set the bitrate under that 35mbps. I'll use .MKV or .m2ts but I want to keep as much quality as possible. Obviously I understand that there will be a loss with reencoding a file.
post #287 of 796 Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

hey guys, I recently bought a S580 for my Dad and he's having trouble getting it hooked up to his router. Can someone tell me how you find the MAC address for the player?
post #288 of 796 Old 10-20-2011, 05:27 AM

Is there better place to post this?
post #289 of 796 Old 10-23-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxx67 View Post

I was wondering that too. and I thought I had a pretty easy question, too.
post #290 of 796 Old 10-23-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

hey guys, I recently bought a S580 for my Dad and he's having trouble getting it hooked up to his router. Can someone tell me how you find the MAC address for the player?

Setup - System Settings - System Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxx67 View Post

Since there is nothing you can change on the player side, I would post in your DLNA server's support forum. Sound's like a limitation on that end. Serviio works pretty well for me but also chokes on m2ts. If I check the logs, I do get errors on all my m2ts files: "[VideoExtractionStrategy] Couldn't resolve H264 profile/level/ref_frames for file 'myfilename.mts' because Sequence parameter set header was not recognized". I've been meaning to report this error along with a sample file but haven't gotten around to it. If you find a solution, please post back.
post #291 of 796 Old 10-24-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Setup - System Settings - System Information

thank you. I'll pass this along to him.
post #292 of 796 Old 10-25-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I see that 'Secrets" has their detailed review/test of the S580 posted. It has the same issue as the S570 in that it does not correctly decode and output the video levels via HDMI. HERE is the link to the review. In part their conclusions read:

"The Sony is a good player for an average consumer, but a bad one if you are a videophile, or plan on calibrating your display based on images sent from the S580. Due to its poor color conversion, and incorrect Luma output, it is impossible to ever get a correctly calibrated display when using the S580 as a source."

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI_13 View Post

After looking at the review with lots for disappointment , I did some testing on my player and theater mode is not manipulating/limiting the levels or WTW details. If you want to calibrate the display or if you are video purist use theater mode. 4:4:0 or 4:4:4, RGB color spaces are showing the level details correctly in that mode. Other picture modes(ex: standard, bright room etc) are limiting the details.

I am not sure which picture mode the reviewer used , I left a comment at hometheaterhifi website for clarification on which mode they have used for review. Hope they will respond to it.

If this still an issue (or non-issue)?
Fixed (or fixable) in a FW update.

Thanks.

Mike
post #293 of 796 Old 10-27-2011, 01:12 AM

New firmware prompt just came up on my S580.

For more info as to the fixes (only 2 on this one), here's a link to the firmware support page: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...&os_group_id=3
post #294 of 796 Old 10-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

I have a question about the screen format setting for the Sony BDP-S580.
Which one should I select: Original or Fixed Aspect Ratio?

I have a Sony KDL60NX720 3D LED HDTV.

Original: select when connected to a TV with a wide mode function; displays a 4:3 screen picture
in 16:9 aspect ratio even on a wide-screen TV.

Fixed Aspect Ratio: changes the picture size to fit the screen size with the original picture aspect ratio.

post #295 of 796 Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Sony's terminology is backwards. Here's how it actually works:

Original: Make all content fill a 16:9 screen. 4:3 material will be stretched to fit.

Fixed: 16:9 stays 16:9. 4:3 stays 4:3 (not stretched)

Bottom line is Original = Stretched, Fixed = Original format. So if you want stretched, pick original, and if you want original pick fixed.

I leave mine at Fixed to avoid 4:3 being stretched. 16:9 is full screen as it should be. You'll also want your tv set to full.
post #296 of 796 Old 10-27-2011, 08:57 AM

Not sure I'm picking up the right thread here for the BDP BX58 from Sony; first time posting.

Love this machine. I'm no expert, bought it at Costco for a low price (among the lower prices stated here) a few weeks ago; first Blu-Ray. I was surprised and pleased it had WiFi connectability, and hooked it right up to my own home office WiFi DSL.

I've been experimenting with streaming video (or equal) watching Netflix content, after changing my membership to include this. Most things I've downloaded have no delay while watching; a few have. Mostly mighty good.

Enjoy the machine; enjoy the small remote; enjoy the fact that this thing recognized my Sony flatscreen and connects, turns it on/off, etc.; I assume one could program this HDMI link with other TVs as well.

So what do I know? But I love it. Very small; very low profile. Great playing Blu-Ray disks or DVDs; DVDs "enhanced for widescreen TVs" work very, very well on this system. Hope this info helps.
post #297 of 796 Old 10-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Original: Make all content fill a 16:9 screen. 4:3 material will be stretched to fit.

Bottom line is Original = Stretched, Fixed = Original format. So if you want stretched, pick original, and if you want original pick fixed.

I leave mine at Fixed to avoid 4:3 being stretched. 16:9 is full screen as it should be. You'll also want your tv set to full.

Thanks mdavej.
I'll select the Fixed Aspect Ratio setting.

post #298 of 796 Old 10-27-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhighland View Post

Not sure I'm picking up the right thread here for the BDP BX58 from Sony; first time posting.

Welcome to AVS and enjoy the Blu-ray experience with your new Sony player!
post #299 of 796 Old 10-27-2011, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed playback via USB, when I have a BD rip in AVCHD directory format, and moving BRDATA up to the root level, it gets recognized as AVC video. But that just means I can only have 1 BDDATA dir per USB device, thus 1 BD rip per device.

Quote:

Yeah, I noticed that. I left it in Original and all my 4x3 video were stretched. Since my TV didn't have a vertical stretch, I had to watch things wide for a while. That is until I went to see what Fixed does, and voila, no more having to watch wide faces.
post #300 of 796 Old 10-31-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

So all the wireless or wired NAS setups are through DLNA or through something like a windoze share?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp Bx58 Blu Ray Disc Player 3d Built In Wireless , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Jvc Dla X70 Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page