Sony BDP-BX58 and BDP-S580 Owner's Thread-all questions/comments belong here - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 804 Old 12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Member
 
Darth Cardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buenos Aires - Argentina
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
guys this player fully supports MKV playback? I just tried to play a 1080p MKV file burnt onto a DVD9 disc and it didn't work ("no media")
Darth Cardo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 804 Old 12-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Newbie
 
rsriram22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
just ordered a BX58 (refurb) from macmall for 93 (shipped). waiting to see how this works out..

update (19-Dec): so far so good;VUDU (HDX) is great - tried couple of trailers; Crackle is great. Watched Transformers 3 on BluRay disc- No issues so far. Seems to work as advertised. Only thing I did was to put in a 2GB USB stick (FAT32) in the rear as I read somewhere the BluRay's need some 'extra' memory and that BX58/S580 do not have *any* internal memory !!!
rsriram22 is offline  
post #363 of 804 Old 12-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Member
 
Dmaxx67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are the mkv file specs? If you ised a program like makemkv it will not play because it is an mkv but has a dvd file structure. You will need to encode it to h.264.
Dmaxx67 is offline  
post #364 of 804 Old 12-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Member
 
Darth Cardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buenos Aires - Argentina
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxx67 View Post

What are the mkv file specs? If you ised a program like makemkv it will not play necaise it is an mkv but has a dvd file structure. You will need to encode it to h.264.

I did not create the mkv file, just from the net you know it's Planet Earth mkv. Plays fine on PC. So this player does not play mkv files without transcoding???
Darth Cardo is offline  
post #365 of 804 Old 12-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Member
 
Dmaxx67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well mkv is just a container. It will only play i believe h.264 encoded files.
Dmaxx67 is offline  
post #366 of 804 Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Newbie
 
gomyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night we rented the HD version of "the Help" on Qriocity - while the picture was great we couldn't get the sound in 5.1. For the record, dolby surround works fine when I directly play blu ray discs so I'm wondering if its a set up issue?

FYI: My video is sent from the bdp-s580 to my HDTV via an HDMI cable while my audio is sent from the bdp-s580 via coaxial cable to my Yamaha AV Receiver (which processes both Dolby and DTS).

Thanks!
gomyone is offline  
post #367 of 804 Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
JBWIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJKashman View Post

Does anyone know where I need to edit filenames so they appear correctly on my S580? I used TV Rename to name them Show - S01E03 - Title of episode.avi but when I browse on my BluRay player connected back to my PC it shows whatever the filename originally was usually show.S01E03.Xvid-HDTV.ETC.avi

Are you playing these files from a USB drive or from a DLNA server? If it's the latter, you might need to refresh the server's database to pick up the new filename.

JBWIII is offline  
post #368 of 804 Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
JBWIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
When I play MP3s from my DLNA server, the player puts an asterisk (*) in front of each song title when it displays them in the menus. It seems to do this only for MP3s with tags. When it displays just the filename of a .wav file, it doesn't have the asterisk.

Anyone have any idea why these asterisks appear?

I'm using a Twonkymedia server and when I browse the media library from a computer the asterisks do not appear.

JBWIII is offline  
post #369 of 804 Old 12-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Newbie
 
wrinkledlion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received the BDP-BX58 for Christmas, and I'm getting stuck when I try to install Netflix.

Now that I've registered everything, every time I try to access Netflix it tells me I need to install updates to receive "New and exciting content." Automatically, a "pop-up" will appear, telling me that I can Retry or Cancel. I can navigate between those two options, but the OK button won't work. None of the other buttons (ie: Return) work either, so I'm effectively stuck and I have to turn off the box each time.
wrinkledlion is offline  
post #370 of 804 Old 12-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Member
 
vapspwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought my parents a BDP-S580 for Christmas, and set it up for them on Christmas day. (Very basic setup, just the player connected directly to a Visio TV via HDMI.) My only previous experience with Blu-Ray players is my PS3.

I loaded a Blu-Ray of _The Help_ for the parentals into their new player, and the load times were EXCRUCIATING. Like a minute or two before anything appeared, and then another minute or two before a screen about previews appeared, and then another minute or two before a trailer started, and then another minute or two before I could bring up the main menu, and then another minute or two before it responded to the menu selection. (You get the picture.) Just incredibly slow and frustrating at every step in the process.

Is this remotely normal for a Blu-Ray player? I haven't watched many on my PS3, but I don't remember experiencing lags that extreme when I did. With their player, it was probably 10 minutes or more between putting the disc in the tray and finally starting the movie, and most of that time was spent staring at blank or frozen screens. Should I perhaps return this as defective and try another one?

(For what it's worth, the wireless setup was extremely easy, and streaming works fantastically in limited use.)

JRjr
vapspwi is offline  
post #371 of 804 Old 12-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
JBWIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapspwi View Post

Just incredibly slow and frustrating at every step in the process.

Is this remotely normal for a Blu-Ray player?

No, mine is very quick to load discs. Try another Blu-ray (check the bargain bin) and, if that doesn't help, the player is defective.

JBWIII is offline  
post #372 of 804 Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Member
 
vapspwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

No, mine is very quick to load discs. Try another Blu-ray (check the bargain bin) and, if that doesn't help, the player is defective.

I've been doing some debugging this morning, and I've got an update. I tried the same BD on my PS3, and it was lightning fast - probably less than 60 seconds from putting the disc in to playing the actual movie.

I went and tried it on the parentals player again, and while it wasn't AS fast as the PS3, it was still 90 seconds or less between inserting the disc and playing the movie.

The only thing that changed that I can think of is that, on Christmas, sometime after setting the new player up on my network and testing streaming, my router died, so nothing in the house had an internet connection when I tried to play the movie, including the BD player. I've replaced my router, and now the player is about as fast as I'd expect.

Related? Coincidence? I'm not sure. Does the player require or expect an internet connection, so it was lagging out when the connection wasn't working? Regardless, it seems to be working now. I'll try it again with some fresh discs just to be sure.

JRjr
vapspwi is offline  
post #373 of 804 Old 12-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Newbie
 
digo1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got an S580 as a gift for Christmas - my first Blue-Ray player - replacing my trusty Panasonic DVD player which up-converted nicely to 1080i.
I'm disappointed in the lack of an optical audio output. My Sharp Aquos LCD HDTV does not pass-through the hdmi audio signal to its optical audio output, so I'm back to PCM over analog for my audio... I guess it's time for a new receiver. I noticed right off the bat there was a firmware update available, I'd try getting that update to see it it solves any of the issues you might be having.
digo1979 is offline  
post #374 of 804 Old 12-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Member
 
vapspwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by digo1979 View Post

I noticed right off the bat there was a firmware update available, I'd try getting that update to see it it solves any of the issues you might be having.

Yeah, that was the first thing I did after I got it on the network. Good idea, though. If I was motivated, I'd try some more debugging (kick it off my network and see if it gets slow again, etc.), but it seems to be working OK now, so I think I'll call it good. :-)

JRjr
vapspwi is offline  
post #375 of 804 Old 12-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Newbie
 
sierra54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received a S580 for Christmas. I have an external hard drive that contains all of my movies saved as ISO's and a Linksys E3000 router with the hard drive attached via USB. Does anyone know how to stream one of these movies to the blu ray player? I have tried using VLC media player to try and stream an iso which it will convert to avi but am unable. Without a guide this is a little beyond my abilities. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I dont think I can stream mkv what would be the best quality alternative to try?

Thanks again.
sierra54 is offline  
post #376 of 804 Old 12-28-2011, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
JBWIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra54 View Post

I just received a S580 for Christmas. I have an external hard drive that contains all of my movies saved as ISO's and a Linksys E3000 router with the hard drive attached via USB. Does anyone know how to stream one of these movies to the blu ray player? I have tried using VLC media player to try and stream an iso which it will convert to avi but am unable. Without a guide this is a little beyond my abilities. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I dont think I can stream mkv what would be the best quality alternative to try?

Thanks again.

First things first, you need a DLNA server to stream the media to the player. Some routers do this (but I don't think yours does) and most NAS drives do. If nothing else, you can install software on an actual computer to act as the server. I'm not as familiar with the formats for this player since I only stream music through mine, but you need that server to start. The player doesn't have the ability to just read files from a networked drive.

JBWIII is offline  
post #377 of 804 Old 01-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
luigionlsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I apologize if this has been answered already, but is there a way to turn off that obnoxious blue light on the center of the face? Some players if you turn dimmer all the way off, it'll disable it (such as Toshiba HD-A35), but I do like to have the timer on as well.
luigionlsd is offline  
post #378 of 804 Old 01-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Member
 
waterskier1018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm trying to decide which is better for my needs. I currently have the Panny hooked up and the sony still in the box (recognizing a good 1st step would be to hook up the Sony)...

I am adding this player so I can improve netflix resolution over the wii (have watched 2 movies so far, and it is obviously much better), and to add DLNA, with the intention of viewing pictures and movies from a laptop / 2TB hard drive on my network. The laptop runs win7, so I was hoping to use that, but could not connect, so I am using Serviio for now. So far I've been able to look at pictures, but not movies. My camcoder makes a .mts file. I've seen .mkv mentioned (after looking at the panasonic unit thread), but don't know what that is.

I have had some black screen issues w/netflix so far. It seems as if Panny is better for netflix, but sony for other stuff according to the reading? I have a sony in another room that seems OK for netflix, but also on a 20 y/o 25" tube tv, so hard to compare...

If the goals (in order) are:
1. Netflix
2. Pictures / video clip viewing from networked source
3. Blu Ray / DVD watching
4. Other random internet crap.

What would be the best move?

I would also consider a xbox or PS3 if I had to, but would rather not, I have no interest / time for another gaming system, and prefer not to have to deal w/bluetooth remote on PS3.

Side note - I would prefer not to have to reformat all video clips, if possible, i.e. straight from camcorder to hard drive to being viewable. Is this possible?

Anyone else compared the two?
waterskier1018 is online now  
post #379 of 804 Old 01-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
luigionlsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterskier1018 View Post

So I'm trying to decide which is better for my needs. I currently have the Panny hooked up and the sony still in the box (recognizing a good 1st step would be to hook up the Sony)...

I am adding this player so I can improve netflix resolution over the wii (have watched 2 movies so far, and it is obviously much better), and to add DLNA, with the intention of viewing pictures and movies from a laptop / 2TB hard drive on my network. The laptop runs win7, so I was hoping to use that, but could not connect, so I am using Serviio for now. So far I've been able to look at pictures, but not movies. My camcoder makes a .mts file. I've seen .mkv mentioned (after looking at the panasonic unit thread), but don't know what that is.

I have had some black screen issues w/netflix so far. It seems as if Panny is better for netflix, but sony for other stuff according to the reading? I have a sony in another room that seems OK for netflix, but also on a 20 y/o 25" tube tv, so hard to compare...

If the goals (in order) are:
1. Netflix
2. Pictures / video clip viewing from networked source
3. Blu Ray / DVD watching
4. Other random internet crap.

What would be the best move?

I would also consider a xbox or PS3 if I had to, but would rather not, I have no interest / time for another gaming system, and prefer not to have to deal w/bluetooth remote on PS3.

Side note - I would prefer not to have to reformat all video clips, if possible, i.e. straight from camcorder to hard drive to being viewable. Is this possible?

Anyone else compared the two?

While this is the Sony BX58/S580 owners' thread, I'd still like to put in my two cents, even if this "bashes" the Sony:

As an owner of the Panasonic 110 (since May 2011, which is identical to 210 minus wireless) and the Sony 580 (since yesterday), I have to say I already would pick the Panasonic.

While I can't speak for camcorder playback or MKV, I do like the Panasonic much better if only for the aesthetics of the player (power and eject buttons are on the top left and right of the player, respectively, rather than tiny buttons on the Sony). As mentioned in my post above, I still can't get over the constant blue light on the Sony, which is also a factor.

That said, I canceled Netflix streaming as soon as I was given the opportunity, but from what I hear the interface is nearly identical. Then again, there are less hoops to jump through for the Panasonic, as you aren't forced to register the player in order to access any of the streaming functionality. I also feel like the "portal" interface to streaming is much nicer on the Panasonic, as it's an easily visible menu with ~7 options per page, vs. Sony where it's a giant list - and not to mention the Panasonic's page is customizable to show the services you regularly use. Along with the menus, even though I've owned a PS3 since damn-close to launch and am very used to XMB, the BD rendition of XMB feels a little less tuned, though it's certainly fine enough for what it does.

All in all, it really boils down to which players' aesthetics you like better (physically, menu interface, etc.) - other than that, the players are nearly identical as far as feature set. Keep in mind that CES is next week
luigionlsd is offline  
post #380 of 804 Old 01-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Member
 
overboosted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: York, PA
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Read through this whole thread looking for an answer to a simple question. Didn't find it.

Does anyone know if I can hook up a 2.5" USB HDD to this player to play movies.
I have no problems using a 32GB Thumb drive, but would like more storage.

Thanks
overboosted is offline  
post #381 of 804 Old 01-05-2012, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lwang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by overboosted View Post

Read through this whole thread looking for an answer to a simple question. Didn't find it.

Does anyone know if I can hook up a 2.5" USB HDD to this player to play movies.
I have no problems using a 32GB Thumb drive, but would like more storage.

Thanks

Yes, you can plug in a USB HDD into it, either NTFS or FAT32. It says you can plug in a FAT64 device, but when I tried it, it didn't work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by luigionlsd View Post

While this is the Sony BX58/S580 owners' thread, I'd still like to put in my two cents, even if this "bashes" the Sony:

As an owner of the Panasonic 110 (since May 2011, which is identical to 210 minus wireless) and the Sony 580 (since yesterday), I have to say I already would pick the Panasonic.

While I can't speak for camcorder playback or MKV, I do like the Panasonic much better if only for the aesthetics of the player (power and eject buttons are on the top left and right of the player, respectively, rather than tiny buttons on the Sony). As mentioned in my post above, I still can't get over the constant blue light on the Sony, which is also a factor.

That said, I canceled Netflix streaming as soon as I was given the opportunity, but from what I hear the interface is nearly identical. Then again, there are less hoops to jump through for the Panasonic, as you aren't forced to register the player in order to access any of the streaming functionality. I also feel like the "portal" interface to streaming is much nicer on the Panasonic, as it's an easily visible menu with ~7 options per page, vs. Sony where it's a giant list - and not to mention the Panasonic's page is customizable to show the services you regularly use. Along with the menus, even though I've owned a PS3 since damn-close to launch and am very used to XMB, the BD rendition of XMB feels a little less tuned, though it's certainly fine enough for what it does.

All in all, it really boils down to which players' aesthetics you like better (physically, menu interface, etc.) - other than that, the players are nearly identical as far as feature set. Keep in mind that CES is next week

I think there is much more than aesthetics between the two. Especially when playing from NAS/HDD. I first got the S580 and it played pretty much every type of video from a NTFS or FAT32 HDD, but when I moved to NAS as a DLNA server, the S580 was having problems with MKV files (sometimes it would play a 720p video, other times not...and it doesn't play 1080p ones at all). Then I got the Panny 210 since I heard it could play from a NAS share. When I first tried via DLNA, the 210 doesn't even have the mkv files highlighted. And when I tried to play those videos through a NAS share, the panny studders, freezes and was just plain unreliable. Then when I plugged the HDD into the panny's USB slot, it didn't even recognize it because it was formatted in NTFS.

I noticed the panny had 2D-3D conversion so I tried to test it with some bluray disc. A few times the panny crashed, and a few other times, it caused my TV to crash and reboot.

One thing that the panny can do is to tell it you are playing a SBS video and it will display the OSD properly when your TV is set to display a SBS video properly.

At the end, I returned both since the NAS/DLNA attempt were all failures
lwang is offline  
post #382 of 804 Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Member
 
rupterr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I got the s580 for Christmas and it's video quality thru hdmi does not look as good as my ps3's video quality. The colors are duller, and video sharpness is decreased with the s580.

Anyone compare the PS3's video quality to the s580's? I'm just trying to figure out if I have a lemon. thanks
rupterr is offline  
post #383 of 804 Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Newbie
 
astro007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got the BX58 today at Costco for 99. Firmware is quite dated - M07.R.0343 and it says I need to update to version M07.R.0579

So far everything (without an update) is superb (I am upgrading from Panny BD60). ALl the video and audio "apps" work fine, I am wireless (used 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for DNS servers instead of automatic off the apple router). PQ is nice in DVD and BR. Only issue I have is getting out of Vudu - it plays amazing quality film + audio, but when finished viewing / previewing something, cannot get back to menu bar unless I power off the box (funny - same issue with my PS3 and Vudu).

Thoughts?

BTW this BR player rocks over the Panny - exceedingly fast boot times plus the wireless make me half-way to dumping cable TV for good.
astro007 is offline  
post #384 of 804 Old 01-05-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
anikun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northwest Illinois USA
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro007 View Post

Just got the BX58 today at Costco for 99. Firmware is quite dated - M07.R.0343 and it says I need to update to version M07.R.0579

So far everything (without an update) is superb (I am upgrading from Panny BD60). ALl the video and audio "apps" work fine, I am wireless (used 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for DNS servers instead of automatic off the apple router). PQ is nice in DVD and BR. Only issue I have is getting out of Vudu - it plays amazing quality film + audio, but when finished viewing / previewing something, cannot get back to menu bar unless I power off the box (funny - same issue with my PS3 and Vudu).

Thoughts?

BTW this BR player rocks over the Panny - exceedingly fast boot times plus the wireless make me half-way to dumping cable TV for good.

I'm glad to read a positive comment about the 58/580. When I bought mine on Black Friday I was amazed by the quality compared to my 3 or 4 year old DVD player, and I don't mean blu-ray movies on it either, the video processing of DVDs to 720 or 1080 is superb from what I was used to. And of course I'm quite taken with the quality of BD, too. I've only got maybe a dozen BD movies and the quality is fantastic. The best part is (in a way) my screen is only 32" 720p, so I know when I upgrade to 1080p it will look even better!

I'm glad you like your BD player. :-)
anikun07 is offline  
post #385 of 804 Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Member
 
HarryWild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchase a new BX58 at Costco for $99.99! Then now list the item for $129.99 and have a discount coupon on it for $30!

It was unbearable to have not to purchase it at such a price even if new stuff is coming out in March! I think it retail at $199 when it was first introduced around end of March/April 2011! But I may return it depend on what is happening at CES!

Oh well! Maybe buyer regret but I remember Blu-Rays players back when it was first introduced at around $300 for the most basic and $500 for the middle of the road which the BX-580 is now - with WiFi, 3D and Streaming all included. I do not like Sony intercepting the streaming however. I think they will give it up since their competitors do no do this and it causes bottlenecks in the process of the video signal.
HarryWild is offline  
post #386 of 804 Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Member
 
HarryWild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Playable types of files
File format Extensions
MPEG-1 Video/PS*1*2
MPEG-2 Video/PS,
TS*1*3
.mpg, .mpeg,
.m2ts, .mts
MPEG-4 AVC*1*2 .mkv, .mp4,
.m4v, .m2ts,
.mts
WMV9*1*2 .wmv, .asf
AVCHD*2 *4
Xvid .avi


File format Extensions
MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio
Layer III)
.mp3
AAC*1*2*5 .m4a
WMA9 Standard*1*2*5 .wma
LPCM .wav

Photo
JPEG .jpg, .jpeg
*1 The player does not play coded files such as
DRM.
*2 The player does not play this file format on a
DLNA server.
*3 The player can only play standard

Hopefully, they will broad it out to meet Samsung and LG's offerrings.

No "Zoom" function in the BX 58.
HarryWild is offline  
post #387 of 804 Old 01-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Newbie
 
rookie_gems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was hoping someone with a little bit more experience could help me out here. I am 65 yrs old and just bought my 1st blu ray player. I don't own any blu ray discs, only DVD's and the nice salesman told me that this Sony Blu Ray player would easily play my DVD's however......I had it hooked up and turned it on, placed a DVD into the tray (right side up) and it is stating on the front of the Blu Ray player "no disc". I have tried close to 10 DVD's and all of them give me the same message.....am I doing something wrong? Any advice would truly be a blessing. Thank you
rookie_gems is offline  
post #388 of 804 Old 01-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Newbie
 
rookie_gems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am 65 yrs old and just bought my 1st blu ray player. I don't own any blu ray discs, only DVD's and the nice salesman told me that this Sony Blu Ray player would easily play my DVD's however......I had it hooked up and turned it on, placed a DVD into the tray (right side up) and it is stating on the front of the Blu Ray player "no disc". I have tried close to 10 DVD's and all of them give me the same message.....am I doing something wrong? Any advice would truly be a blessing. Thank you
rookie_gems is offline  
post #389 of 804 Old 01-06-2012, 05:26 AM
Member
 
wouldtoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie_gems View Post

I am 65 yrs old and just bought my 1st blu ray player. I don't own any blu ray discs, only DVD's and the nice salesman told me that this Sony Blu Ray player would easily play my DVD's however......I had it hooked up and turned it on, placed a DVD into the tray (right side up) and it is stating on the front of the Blu Ray player "no disc". I have tried close to 10 DVD's and all of them give me the same message.....am I doing something wrong? Any advice would truly be a blessing. Thank you

Sounds to me that maybe the wiring may not be connected correctly. Do you have it hooked up to your TV or your receiver? Also, did you use HDMI cable or RCA (red, white, and yellow connectors? May also try to let it warm up when you first turn it on. Let us know how it goes. You have a very nice blu ray player

Mitsubishi HC5500 Projector
Integra DTR-50.3 7.1 Receiver
Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
wouldtoo is offline  
post #390 of 804 Old 01-06-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tingham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie_gems View Post

I am 65 yrs old and just bought my 1st blu ray player. I don't own any blu ray discs, only DVD's and the nice salesman told me that this Sony Blu Ray player would easily play my DVD's however......I had it hooked up and turned it on, placed a DVD into the tray (right side up) and it is stating on the front of the Blu Ray player "no disc". I have tried close to 10 DVD's and all of them give me the same message.....am I doing something wrong? Any advice would truly be a blessing. Thank you

If you have tried 10 dvd's and it has not read any on them your unit is defective. Take it back and get another.

The display on the front of the unit should say "reading disc" and then the time counter should start advancing and the movie will play.

Wiring would have no effect on this whatsoever. You could have it plugged in to nothing and the unit will still play the movie.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
tingham is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp Bx58 Blu Ray Disc Player 3d Built In Wireless , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Jvc Dla X70 Projector
Gear in this thread - S580 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off