Sony BDP-BX58 and BDP-S580 Owner's Thread-all questions/comments belong here - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 804 Old 03-16-2011, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From page 14 of the user manual (confirms for sure... NO onboard memory on BDP-S580/BX58):

Some BD-ROMs with the “BD-LIVE” logo*
have bonus content and other data that can be
downloaded for enjoyment.
1 Connect a USB memory to the USB
jack on the rear of the player (page 7).
As your local storage, use a 1 GB or
larger USB memory.

I think this model release is essentially a cost reduction for Sony. Hopefully a few fixes like to the data streaming quality mentioned on CNET's review of the 570... and this thread mentioned it is a quieter drive... always welcomed!

Looks like the prices are dropping at Costco, so perhaps some of the cost savings by Sony are passed along as price savings to the consumer.

I'd like to know if the extra memory (via USB thumb drive) is a must-have for things like buffering of a Netflix stream...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 804 Old 03-16-2011, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketwils View Post

From page 14 of the user manual (confirms for sure... NO onboard memory on BDP-S580/BX58):

Some BD-ROMs with the “BD-LIVE” logo*
have bonus content and other data that can be
downloaded for enjoyment.
1 Connect a USB memory to the USB
jack on the rear of the player (page 7).
As your local storage, use a 1 GB or
larger USB memory.

I think this model release is essentially a cost reduction for Sony. Hopefully a few fixes like to the data streaming quality mentioned on CNET's review of the 570... and this thread mentioned it is a quieter drive... always welcomed!

Looks like the prices are dropping at Costco, so perhaps some of the cost savings by Sony are passed along as price savings to the consumer.

I'd like to know if the extra memory (via USB thumb drive) is a must-have for things like buffering of a Netflix stream...?

Netflix still buffered 2 times in the 10 minutes that I tested the unit. Disappointing but like I said earlier, I have an xbox which has a great Netflix interface. --> This was over WIFI. I can try again later with a wired connection.

The drive is definitely super quiet and the unit itself is physically tiny. Costco adjusted my price, so I'm very happy for 159.
post #33 of 804 Old 03-16-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellte2 View Post

NTFS is supposedly in according to the manual, but I haven't tested it.

I got my S580 last week via Sonyrewards. It was a no brainer for me since it was almost free with the Sony points I had that were collecting dust.

Anyway, re-posting what I wrote in the 570 thread about NTFS.

"I can confirm that it supports NTFS. I put an avi file on my 500GB WD Passport, connected it to the front USB port, it recognized it and I was able to play the file off the drive. The player has enough juice to power the portable drive as well."

I know many people use their bluray players for online video streaming as well. I can't comment on Netflix, etc since I haven't tried it yet. I use my Xbox360 via wired connection for Netflix, which works great.

I was able to setup the 580's wi-fi connection without a hitch and even upgraded to the latest firmware (M07.R.0213). Also played an avi via Tversity from my network fine. Took a little long to load but once it got going it was fine. But I use my Xbox as my media streamer as well so I don't plan on using the 580 for that. The 580 will be used primarily as a standalone bluray player.
post #34 of 804 Old 03-16-2011, 02:10 PM

Hey kellte2,

I have the BX57 and Netflix. Are you able to browse movies/add them to instant queue on the BX58? My friends Samsung player can do this, but on my BX57 I have to browse/add the movies for Netflix on my computer or cell phone.

Thanks!
post #35 of 804 Old 03-16-2011, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

On sale for 159.99 at Costco. Makes it slightly more palatable ...

Am at Costco Austin Tx just now. I see $179.99. Is the $20 lower a coupon or something?
post #36 of 804 Old 03-16-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketwils View Post
Am at Costco Austin Tx just now. I see $179.99. Is the $20 lower a coupon or something?
It was a $20 instant rebate (comes off at register). If I remember correctly it's going until 3/27? Anyhow, if they didn't print a new sign above the item, it won't show the instant rebate, ask one of the people to check the price for you.
post #37 of 804 Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 PM

I've basically come to the conclusion that drive noise is highly subjective and also depends on the disc being played.

I had the 570 and now the 380. Some discs never make a sound. Others whine very loudly. I can say that I'm fairly certain that the 380 drive is a little less noisy than the 570, but the 380 isn't what I'd call silent, either. I think the Sonys these days are just more prone to noise than models of old. I've read reports that many others have heard drive noise, and I've gone through two models made months apart and still got some noise. So, I don't think I got two defective units. Both players played every disc marvelously without any problems (other than noise).

I think certain people are just more prone to hearing drive noise, but you also have to factor in the ambient noise levels as well.

Oh well.

Quote:
The drive is definitely super quiet and the unit itself is physically tiny. Costco adjusted my price, so I'm very happy for 159.
post #38 of 804 Old 03-16-2011, 08:43 PM

I just bought the Sony BDP-S580 and the Yamaha RX-V667 AVR, and am using them with a 2-year old Sony Bravia TV, which is about to replaced by a new and larger Sony. Upon initial hook-up, the Blu-Ray player wasn't recognized by the AVR, but my Comcast STB and a Yamaha DVD/SACD player, both using HDMI inputs to the AVR, were recognized. I disconnected the Blu-Ray's HDMI cable, powered off everything, reconnected the HDMI cable, and it worked fine. No troubles getting WiFi connection established or upgrading the firmware on the Blu-Ray player (much easier than upgrading the 667's firmware, but that's another story).

The 580 loads discs much faster than my previous Sony Blu-Ray player (350), and I'm just beginning to play with all the streaming audio and video options (I love hearing my Pandora stations through my sound system instead of on my computer). The menu is somewhat better than my previous Blu-Ray player, but a bit cluttered.

My only problem is that the 580 has had several recurrences of what I assume is an HDMI handshake issue. The 580 starts up, shows the opening screens on my TV (Blu-Ray logo followed by a blue horizontal line that usually leads to the home menu), but then there's a message that flashes up so fast on my TV that I cannot even read it, and the TV then displays the default video wallpaper for my AVR. I turn off everything and try again, and it does the same thing. It happened once yesterday, so I disconnected the HDMI cable again, and that fixed it. It happened again today, and this time, disconnecting the HDMI cable did not do it. I ended up having to disconnect it from both the 580 and the AVR, then powering off the entire system, including the TV, then reconnected the HDMI cable and powered it on again. That fixed it, but it's a very inconvenient "fix". I called Sony and they suggested that I turn the deep color to "off", and if it happens again, I'm supposed to try connecting the 580's HDMI to my TV, to confirm that it's not an issue with the AVR. I'll also try my old Sony Blu-Ray with the AVR to help narrow down the problem.

I've also changed the power-on sequence to turn on the components in this order: TV, AVR, then Blu-Ray.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about what I can do besides these steps, or if I'm doing something that is obviously wrong? Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry this was so long but I wanted to include as much info as possible.
post #39 of 804 Old 03-16-2011, 09:12 PM

anyone notice the menu's being a little sluggish on the 580? I dont' recall from the past players, but I think it might have something to do with how cluttered it is...

As soon as you get into a sub menu, then it gets snappy.
post #40 of 804 Old 03-16-2011, 10:20 PM

Yes I have noticed the menus are sluggish and kind of jittery.
post #41 of 804 Old 03-17-2011, 10:10 AM

So, how about picture performance...old vs. new?
I have the Sony BDP-1000es and thinking about the Sony BDP580 model?
Any thoughts?
post #42 of 804 Old 03-17-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post

So, how about picture performance...old vs. new?
I have the Sony BDP-1000es and thinking about the Sony BDP580 model?
Any thoughts?

Recommend you consider the Sony BDP-S770. I own the 770 and am very satisfied with its performance. Perfect Blu-ray performance, exceptional SD upconversion and rock-solid wireless streaming have been the norm for my 770. I also believe the 770 may be identical to the current Sony BDP-1700es, thus closer to the performance/quality of your current 1000es. Overall the construction of the 770 is a notch above the other Sony Blu-ray players. Finally, as the 770 is due to be replaced this Spring by the Sony BDP-s780, you can pick up the 770 for a good discount.
post #43 of 804 Old 03-17-2011, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm thinking of purchasing this player. I was gonna get the 570, but figured I'd hold out for the 580. Any and all advice/comments about this player are welcome(I probably won't use it for streaming-Apple TV).

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #44 of 804 Old 03-17-2011, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by guile9 View Post

Recommend you consider the Sony BDP-S770. I own the 770 and am very satisfied with its performance. Perfect Blu-ray performance, exceptional SD upconversion and rock-solid wireless streaming have been the norm for my 770. I also believe the 770 may be identical to the current Sony BDP-1700es, thus closer to the performance/quality of your current 1000es. Overall the construction of the 770 is a notch above the other Sony Blu-ray players. Finally, as the 770 is due to be replaced this Spring by the Sony BDP-s780, you can pick up the 770 for a good discount.

+1

I had the S570 for a while and while it was a great unit, the S770 just blows it our of the water in terms of PQ/AQ, and of course it has been a rock solid unit all around. To me, the S770 is a Sony masterpiece. Well worth the $239.99 I paid.
post #45 of 804 Old 03-17-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katu View Post

Hey kellte2,

I have the BX57 and Netflix. Are you able to browse movies/add them to instant queue on the BX58? My friends Samsung player can do this, but on my BX57 I have to browse/add the movies for Netflix on my computer or cell phone.

Thanks!

kellte2, help!
post #46 of 804 Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katu View Post

kellte2, help!

Only instant queue. Disappointing, I know.
post #47 of 804 Old 03-18-2011, 11:34 AM

hi all,
i'm new to bluray players and this forum, so please take it easy on me i'm looking at the s580 so that we can finally wet our toes in the bluray world. i have a sneaking suspicion that it maybe a slippery slope.

anyways, getting to the point. i have networked drives (buffalo terastation and a drobo) where i keep audio and video files for viewing. i have .avi, .mpg, and dvd images (video_ts) that i view over the network on my laptop using the vlc player. now, i want to be able to view these movies on the tv via the av receiver that i have. i think i can install dlna server type thing on the two networked drives. will the networked 580 be able to play these files? from what i think i understand from the manual (thanks for the up), no video can be served over the network from a dlna. is that correct? so the only way i can watch videos from a hard drive is to plug it in directly the usb?

thanks for the input.
post #48 of 804 Old 03-19-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Goin' to Best Buy to pick it up today to replace my Sammy bdp-2550-lookin' forward to the load-up speeds! ...

post #49 of 804 Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

Goin' to Best Buy to pick it up today to replace my Sammy bdp-2550-lookin' forward to the load-up speeds! ...

The disk loading speed is really insane.
post #50 of 804 Old 03-19-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know when the s780 will be released???

post #51 of 804 Old 03-19-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know when the s780 will be released???

April, according to Sony. I'm wating for the 780 to be released as I'm a little disappointed with the 580 in regards to features vs the 570.
post #52 of 804 Old 03-20-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

The only reason I'm waiting for the 780 over the 580 is the bit-mapping feature. For any of you w/ technical knowledge of that feature, I'd appreciate any and all comments regarding it. If it's not worth it, I'll just pick up the 580. Thanx in advance...

post #53 of 804 Old 03-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

I just picked up the 580 it updated to the latest firmware. I tried the external hd it finds my .Avi files but says they are corrupt or not playable and then I put in my card reader and it wont find my Panasonic m2t files. All the files I'm trying to play say on page 30 they will,'any help or ideas would be great thanks

Edit: I took my m2t files from my card and put them on the external hd they played great Still not able to read from my sd card reader or the huge amount of .avi filed already on hd???
post #54 of 804 Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 PM

Bit mapping is a generic term that is overused and has several connotations. It can mean how it maps out jitter on SACDs to make them sound better, or it can mean how it maps out the color pallet to make blu rays look better.

I'm not sure which one Sony is referring to here.

I'd say that unless you have a reference audio system or a calibrated tv screen, bitmapping will be of limited use under either connotation.

Quote:
The only reason I'm waiting for the 780 over the 580 is the bit-mapping feature. For any of you w/ technical knowledge of that feature, I'd appreciate any and all comments regarding it. If it's not worth it, I'll just pick up the 580. Thanx in advance...
post #55 of 804 Old 03-22-2011, 09:40 AM

my experience thus far for the 580:

I had the 570, but it did not stream netflix at all, zero. So I sent it back. So far I have only used three main features on this thing, which are: streaming netflix, blu ray, and dvd up scaling.

1. Blu Ray: they look great, or about as good as the 570. The start up times seem to be exceptionally long, but I don't really have anything to compare it to except my old dvd player. Compared to that it takes FOREVER to load, and if you have a disc in the machine it also makes the menus much much laggier. Why does it have to read stuff off of the disc if I only want to stream video? no idea. Please note, that I did turn off the fast start feature. I read somewhere that all this does is keep the player on all the time, and I decided that this was a bad thing for several reasons.

2. Steaming netflix: well light years ahead of the 570, because it actually works. The 570 would not stream at all. However, I get constant drop outs. I would not mind at all if the player spent some time buffering, but quite frequently (1-3 times per show) the player will drop the signal. The problem with this is that rather than starting where you left off, you have to begin at the beginning again, which is kind of a pain. I would prefer if it just started again where you left off. Verdict for Netflix: if this is an important feature, you may want to look elsewhere.

3. upscaling dvds: this looks much much better than the 570. The 570 looked so horrible with dvd's that I just watched them on my old crt in my gym instead of on the blu ray player. So this is a big plus for me since I have a fairly good sized collection of dvd's.

Other notes: I really like the menu layout compared to other players that I have seen at friends houses. For example, the netflix titles in your que are arranged in a grid, rather than a straight line. This matters, since between my wife, son, and myself, we have anywhere from 30 to 100 titles on the que at any given time. Players I have seen like the LG or Panasonic have the menu in a straight line, so you have to scroll through a great deal of titles to get to the one you want most of the time. However, this player is VERY laggy in the menus. Also, there are problems sometimes, like when you go to shut off the player it says 'see you' and blinks this message for as long as five minutes. It won't shut down? is it updating firmware? I am afraid to shut it off by unplugging it, but sometimes the player just freezes up and needs a power cycle. One more thing, a nice feature they added is that it tells you how many bars of reception you are getting, AND how many mps you are getting for streaming video. This basic feature, which should be standard, makes diagnosing network problems easier. I really like this addition over the 570.

Verdict: I see this player as having potential, but as of now it is in a BETA stage. It is not ready for the home market, it still has too many bugs. When did the trend found in video games of not releasing working products find its way into consumer electronics? I miss the good old days of the 90's and 2000's when I could just go to the store, buy something, plug it in and it worked. Cheap model, expensive model, whatever, they all just worked. Anyway, I would suggest to anyone that they wait to get this player. Perhaps in a year or so after they get some updates, it could be the best mid range blu ray player on the market. Not so right now.
post #56 of 804 Old 03-22-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guile9 View Post

Just wanted to echo this. I've had this player for about 2 weeks and love it. I've only watched a couple of DVDs, done some Netflix and Amazon streaming and it has performed very well. I did have some video stuttering issues with a Netflix dvd of The Wire, but I think that's more the disc because one of my old DVDs played perfectly. I'm gonna check out how it loads and plays a Blu Ray disc soon.

Directv H20-600 to Panasonic PT-47WX51(ISF Calibrated) Usually viewing HD and DVDs from 8' to 10' away.
post #57 of 804 Old 03-22-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

Bit mapping is a generic term that is overused and has several connotations. It can mean how it maps out jitter on SACDs to make them sound better, or it can mean how it maps out the color pallet to make blu rays look better.

I'm not sure which one Sony is referring to here.

I'd say that unless you have a reference audio system or a calibrated tv screen, bitmapping will be of limited use under either connotation.

I've an 82" calibrated display, and I'm only 11' away. I figured it might be worth the wait. The BB guy said he didn't know when they'd get them in(I've a $200 gift card).

post #58 of 804 Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 AM

I just purchased the 580 primarily for netflix streaming. First had to do a firmware upgrade. When I open the netflix app the first step is activate my device. The device activates in Netflix and is displayed correctly in my device list - but - the sony 580 comes back with "an error occurred during activation - get a new code" every time. Have tried deactivating in netflix and used new code about 20 times now. Every time it fails on the 580. Can't find any help on this anywhere.
post #59 of 804 Old 03-23-2011, 12:25 PM

As post 20 said, found no HD over component outputs.
Bought an S580 over the weekend and set it up to output 1080i over the component outputs. (My old HD Ready Sony HS10 is limited to 1080i and no screen is in my near future) When viewing the menus it set to 1080, when the BD started it went to 480i and I got a small warning that said basically output limited use HDMI for full resolution or words to that effect. I was pretty confused since there was no HDMI anywhere near the BD player.

After a frustrating hour or so (what's the definition of insanity?) I started to poke at the web and I found a note that said players made after Jan 1, 2011 were limited to 480 for analog (??). This was the first I had heard about all this and it was a big surprise to me.

A trip back to BB and I picked up the last S570 demo model and no issues. So, if you use the components the 580 may not be a good choice for commercial material apparently your own stuff is OK (?). The 580 picture seemed to be a bit better than the 570, maybe slightly brighter in my setupstreamed Netflix fine.

Just passing the experience along FWIW.
SS/Gordon
post #60 of 804 Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 AM

I had the 570 for about 2 weeks but returned it and am thinking of picking up the 580.

Main reason is NTFS support on the USB jack on the 580. (that's priority #1 for me).

I generally liked everything else about the 570.

I use a wired internet connection, and don't care much about the BD live.

I would like to stream Netflix though. From what I'm reading, if I'm using a wired connection, it shouldn't be a problem.

Just wondering if I should wait for the 780? Assuming it supports NTFS, is it an all around better machine than the 580?

Thanks
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp Bx58 Blu Ray Disc Player 3d Built In Wireless , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Jvc Dla X70 Projector
Gear in this thread - S580 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page