Sony BDP-BX58 and BDP-S580 Owner's Thread-all questions/comments belong here - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 796 Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 284
I realize it's a 4 device remote. I just don't see the point of a universal that can't do macros. It's like getting a phone that can't do speed dial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 796 Old 03-14-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I realize it's a 4 device remote. I just don't see the point of a universal that can't do macros. It's like getting a phone that can't do speed dial.

I use a Harmony 650 which can control 5 devices. I don't know if it does macros or not, it isn't something I tried, but maybe that would fix my TV setting which o always have to press twice to get the inputs to change properly. It's the same thing leaving TV to something else. I wish the remote could go to channel x.y with the digital channels..anyway, I'm happy with it.
post #573 of 796 Old 03-16-2012, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Two quick questions.

1. Would FFWD be limited by DLNA server (im using tversity) ?

I have numerous videos ( HD MP4 from celphone and camera) that for some reason dont want to FFWD ?

2. Is there a way to downgrade firmware ?

I fully intend to backup any bluray purchases to BD50 disc and if theres no CINAVIA circumvention or way to downgrade FW than Im returning this player for one without it.
Im on 615 FW and the software update was either on the player already or only came up when I was installing Netflix.
post #574 of 796 Old 03-16-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

I use a Harmony 650 which can control 5 devices. I don't know if it does macros or not, it isn't something I tried, but maybe that would fix my TV setting which o always have to press twice to get the inputs to change properly. It's the same thing leaving TV to something else. I wish the remote could go to channel x.y with the digital channels..anyway, I'm happy with it.

Macro = Activity in this context. The 300 can only do one activity, so I find it pretty much useless. I thought that's the model we were talking about. The 650 is a fine remote which I highly recommend to anyone. I even had a few myself in the past. It can have battery connection issues, so watch out for that.

If you post the details of you TV model, etc. in the 650 thread here in the Remote forum, we can probably fix your issues.
post #575 of 796 Old 03-16-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGOFOOTBALL33 View Post

Two quick questions.

1. Would FFWD be limited by DLNA server (im using tversity) ?

I have numerous videos ( HD MP4 from celphone and camera) that for some reason dont want to FFWD ?

2. Is there a way to downgrade firmware ?

I fully intend to backup any bluray purchases to BD50 disc and if theres no CINAVIA circumvention or way to downgrade FW than Im returning this player for one without it.
Im on 615 FW and the software update was either on the player already or only came up when I was installing Netflix.

1. Probably more related to the file type than the server.

2. No, not by an end user on sony. I've heard the factory can do it, but I can't imaging how you would get them to do it.
post #576 of 796 Old 03-16-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:

1. Probably more related to the file type than the server.

2. No, not by an end user on sony. I've heard the factory can do it, but I can't imaging how you would get them to do it.

Thanks.

What server would you guys recommend ?

Im probably going to return the unit. Cant tolerate that level of DRM for personal usage.
post #577 of 796 Old 03-16-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Macro = Activity in this context. The 300 can only do one activity, so I find it pretty much useless. I thought that's the model we were talking about. The 650 is a fine remote which I highly recommend to anyone. I even had a few myself in the past. It can have battery connection issues, so watch out for that.

If you post the details of you TV model, etc. in the 650 thread here in the Remote forum, we can probably fix your issues.

Thanks Dave, I'll head over there.

As for firmware, I didn't update to the latest after reading about Cinavia, but my version is whatever was about a month or two old. I didn't receive an update message for quite a while until last week. I don't know that I'll back up BD because I don't have a writer for it yet, but I think the discs would be too pricey still. Would it affect backed up DVDs or just BDs?
post #578 of 796 Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

There are lots of good ones out there. But Serviio works really well with sony, and it's free. In fact that's the one sony recommends if you ask them.

Not sure if you find another disc player that handles MP4 any differently.
post #579 of 796 Old 03-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Thanks Dave, I'll head over there.

As for firmware, I didn't update to the latest after reading about Cinavia, but my version is whatever was about a month or two old. I didn't receive an update message for quite a while until last week. I don't know that I'll back up BD because I don't have a writer for it yet, but I think the discs would be too pricey still. Would it affect backed up DVDs or just BDs?

Yes - DVDs also - as well as streamed content from a personal server if the original was infected with cinavia and the programmer who inserted cinavia into the firmware decided it was not a "trusted source".

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #580 of 796 Old 03-16-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess I don't quite understand, so would the disc need cinavia in the authoring? Or would something like the avs 709r disc not work because it isn't authored special?
post #581 of 796 Old 03-16-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:

I guess I don't quite understand, so would the disc need cinavia in the authoring?

That is correct. There is some sort of inaudible signal written into the audio track of the discs 'infected' with Cinavia. There are two parts to the Cinavia ecosystem. First there is the disc with the 'signal' written into the audio track. and secondly there is the player with Cinavia 'detector' activated. Additionally, if you have a retail copy of a disc, you really have nothing to worry about. Really, only people that back up their bluray discs have anything to worry about.
post #582 of 796 Old 03-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinmn View Post

That is correct. There is some sort of inaudible signal written into the audio track of the discs 'infected' with Cinavia. There are two parts to the Cinavia ecosystem. First there is the disc with the 'signal' written into the audio track. and secondly there is the player with Cinavia 'detector' activated. Additionally, if you have a retail copy of a disc, you really have nothing to worry about. Really, only people that back up their bluray discs have anything to worry about.

or people who rip them to a home server to play back from there . or convert them to a different medium to play elsewhere . .
The best thing to do is stick to playback equipment that is not infected with cinavia - and stick to titles that are not infected with cinavia. If you are willing to restrict yourself to only playing store bought BDs and DVDs on your blu-ray player, you probably don't have an issue. If you value some flexibility in how you use your personally owned BD or DVD titles & equipment, avoid cinavia infected products.

post #583 of 796 Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:

I'm curious (and maybe this is a better discussion for the Remote forum), but why would I need a macro in a remote? Can you explain how such a feature is used and what makes it so essential in a remote? The 300 seems to do everything I need for controlling my BR setup (TV, DVD, HD sat box, Roku). I'm imagining that I'll need a more capable one in the LR eventually, so what does the 650 bring to the party that the others don't?
post #584 of 796 Old 03-18-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

When you watch a movie for example, this is what you have to do on a universal remote without macros:

- Press TV
- Press Power
- Press Input
- Arrow down to correct input
- Select input
- Optionally select proper display settings
- Press DVD
- Press Power
- Press Aux
- Press Power
- Select correct audio input
- Optionally toggle surround
- Optionally pick the proper sound field
- Press DVD to control the DVD player
- Press AUX to control the stereo

By contrast, here's what you do on a remote with macros:

- Press WatchMovie, and all the above steps are performed automatically with the touch of a single button

I think I'd rather do the latter if I had a choice, especially when a good remote with macros can be had for as little as $15.

The 300 can do one macro (Watch TV for example). That's fine if that's all you ever want to do. But the 650 can do unlimited macros (Watch TV, Watch Cable, Watch Movie, Listen to Music, Watch Roku, Play Game, Use PC, etc.).

On your cell phone, do you prefer tapping the person's name in your speed dial list, or do you prefer entering 10 numbers? Would you buy a phone without speed dial if it were the same price or even less than a phone with speed dial? I know I wouldn't. Same goes for remotes. I'd rather not press 20 buttons every time I do something if I can do the same thing with one button press.
erhurd likes this.
post #585 of 796 Old 03-19-2012, 06:29 AM

Hello all,

I just purchased this player last night and hooked it up via HDMI to my Denon AVR - 991.

I am able to see picture and sound when playing a regular dvd, all the onscreen menus and netflix.

I cannot see any picture when playing a blu ray disc (I tried 2: "Puss n Boots" and "Hugo"). I can hear the sound, but the receiver says it is not receiving a signal.
post #586 of 796 Old 03-19-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Possibly try checking the blu ray playback options, maybe try disabling 24p playback if that is enabled.
post #587 of 796 Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Possibly try checking the blu ray playback options, maybe try disabling 24p playback if that is enabled.

Thanks for your help. I know this is a stupid question, but you are referring to settings on the blu ray player, right?

I also think this may have something to do with the firmware on the Sony player, which I can't get to update despite it having a wired connection to my router.
post #588 of 796 Old 03-19-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you shouldn't need to worry about firmware. Double check video settings and playback settings, but I suspect a playback setting over video because DVDs play without trouble.
post #589 of 796 Old 03-19-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:

When you watch a movie for example, this is what you have to do on a universal remote without macros:

- Press TV
- Press Power
- Press Input
- Arrow down to correct input
- Select input
- Optionally select proper display settings
- Press DVD
- Press Power
- Press Aux
- Press Power
- Select correct audio input
- Optionally toggle surround
- Optionally pick the proper sound field
- Press DVD to control the DVD player
- Press AUX to control the stereo

By contrast, here's what you do on a remote with macros:

- Press WatchMovie, and all the above steps are performed automatically with the touch of a single button

I think I'd rather do the latter if I had a choice, especially when a good remote with macros can be had for as little as $15.

The 300 can do one macro (Watch TV for example). That's fine if that's all you ever want to do. But the 650 can do unlimited macros (Watch TV, Watch Cable, Watch Movie, Listen to Music, Watch Roku, Play Game, Use PC, etc.).

On your cell phone, do you prefer tapping the person's name in your speed dial list, or do you prefer entering 10 numbers? Would you buy a phone without speed dial if it were the same price or even less than a phone with speed dial? I know I wouldn't. Same goes for remotes. I'd rather not press 20 buttons every time I do something if I can do the same thing with one button press.

Right. Well answered! OK, I'm off to pick up a 700 then...
post #590 of 796 Old 03-19-2012, 09:04 PM

I recently tried to take a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer I had a 4GB HD file on, and plug it directly into the front port of the Blu Ray player. It was fine for a few minutes, and then the video would stutter/jitter for like a second every few seconds. The only way I could get it to stop was completely power off the player, fast forward back to the spot I was at, and continue, until it did it again. Player is up to date, file was verified to be fine otherwise. Is there some bad compatibility with this player and these USB sticks? Would a Sony USB stick fare better with a Sony player? We're supposed to be able to play video off these sticks through the players aren't we?
post #591 of 796 Old 03-20-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Thank you once again for your help. This worked like a charm.

Mysteriously was not able to connect player to internet via a wired connection (might be a bad ethernet cable), but was able to connect via my wifi with no issues. Firmware is up to date.
post #592 of 796 Old 03-20-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwar View Post

Thank you once again for your help. This worked like a charm.

Mysteriously was not able to connect player to internet via a wired connection (might be a bad ethernet cable), but was able to connect via my wifi with no issues. Firmware is up to date.

No problem, I'm glad it helped!
post #593 of 796 Old 03-21-2012, 03:07 AM

I am able to "pull" a video from my win 7 PC by selecting a video via the menu on the 580. However, when I try to use the "play to" feature on Windows Media Player, I get a [player] "does not respond." error message. WMP lists the player as an option (as well as the TV). I am able to "play to" the TV.

I read and re-read the 580 documentation, and I don't see anything that indicates that I can't "play to" the 580.

Am I missing something?

Thanks and regards,

Chris
post #594 of 796 Old 03-21-2012, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Perhaps someone mentioned this and I missed it, but this thing is basically useless now for any internet apps if you don't do the firmware upgrade. It's an endless loop. It won't launch the app unless you do the upgrade first.

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #595 of 796 Old 03-22-2012, 04:29 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul210 View Post

Perhaps someone mentioned this and I missed it, but this thing is basically useless now for any internet apps if you don't do the firmware upgrade. It's an endless loop. It won't launch the app unless you do the upgrade first.

What's wrong with doing the newest firmware upgrade?
post #596 of 796 Old 03-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupterr View Post

What's wrong with doing the newest firmware upgrade?

cinavia infection comes with it adding new layers of drm for sony customers to navigate and live with (or not . .)..

post #597 of 796 Old 03-22-2012, 06:33 PM

I wish that they could come up with a firmware that I do not have to hit Netflix a couple of times for it to come up. May be my machine though.
post #598 of 796 Old 03-22-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbma View Post

I am able to "pull" a video from my win 7 PC by selecting a video via the menu on the 580. However, when I try to use the "play to" feature on Windows Media Player, I get a [player] "does not respond." error message. WMP lists the player as an option (as well as the TV). I am able to "play to" the TV.

I read and re-read the 580 documentation, and I don't see anything that indicates that I can't "play to" the 580.

Am I missing something?

Thanks and regards,

Chris

My Win7 machine sees my BX58 via WMP, but I don't use it to deliver media to my receiver or TV. Instead, I rely on either Serviio or TVersity to "push" it out to the player. Both of these programs are quite good, free, and work like a charm. Honestly, I have found no need to use WMP for media delivery, so I don't. Check the other options out. And, if you have a ROKU, get the Plex channel on it; you can then pull media off your PC once you set up the Plex Server.
post #599 of 796 Old 03-24-2012, 12:46 AM

hmm, I updated my player a few weeks ago, and now I can't seem to get any AVCHD folders (2D or 3D) to play off of my USB drive anymore

anyone else having this issue? Think it might be part of the cinavia infection?

I really wish there was a way to downgrade or modify the firmware to repair what sony broke...
post #600 of 796 Old 03-25-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

cinavia infection comes with it adding new layers of drm for sony customers to navigate and live with (or not . .)..

Anyone have the update BEFORE the latest one on a flash drive they could put up so we could grab it?

Seems like there is NO WAY to go back to the previous vesion without cinavia?

Here is my current gear: Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver, CarverTFM-35 Front Amp, Sony EX55-720 3D TV, Oppo BDP-103 3D Blu-Ray Player, Panasonic DMB-BD50 Blu-Ray Player (for Cinavia encrusted copy playback), Polk RTI-12 Fronts, Polk LSiM703 Rears, Polk DSW Pro600, Older Infinity Center.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp Bx58 Blu Ray Disc Player 3d Built In Wireless , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Jvc Dla X70 Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page