Sony BDP-BX58 and BDP-S580 Owner's Thread-all questions/comments belong here - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 804 Old 09-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Specifically, are you able to stream Netflix on your computer when the Blu-ray player drops down to .5? (I'm suspicious that ISPs shape traffic so that speedtest.net shows high bandwidth when other services can't use it.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 804 Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Have you tried unplugging the player for at least 30 seconds? Supposedly this should reset it. I also see that the possibility of un-registering and then re-registering the player might help. Have you tried either of these? If all else fails I would suggest a factory reset, then you would know for sure if it's the player.
post #783 of 804 Old 09-19-2013, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

Specifically, are you able to stream Netflix on your computer when the Blu-ray player drops down to .5? (I'm suspicious that ISPs shape traffic so that speedtest.net shows high bandwidth when other services can't use it.)

Yeah, I am, because often when I realist I can't watch on there I switch right to my laptop to watch it there, haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

Have you tried unplugging the player for at least 30 seconds? Supposedly this should reset it. I also see that the possibility of un-registering and then re-registering the player might help. Have you tried either of these? If all else fails I would suggest a factory reset, then you would know for sure if it's the player.

I actually just moved, so the player was unplugged for over a week. I'll try the re-registering thing tonight or tomorrow. Thanks a bunch guys, this has been bugging the hell out of me for a while, here.
post #784 of 804 Old 09-21-2013, 07:37 PM

Am I safe to upgrade S580 to M07.R.0600 ? This is latest Au version, and I think same as Europe firmware. (Differs from US versions)

No mention of Cinavia on the download page: http://www.sony.com.au/support/download/490536

Am currently on M07.R.0263. iView and DLNA working well, but codecs not working for a number of files.

I know 0624 has cinavia, and M07.R.0579 is clean, but I can no longer find the asia-pacific version of that online. Anyone have a copy or link please?

I don't actually use pirate discs as such, but will cinavia affect playing my own DVD/BD rips from hard drive?
post #785 of 804 Old 09-21-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
It may depend on your decrypting software. Some returns on Google say Slysoft has been successful with AnyDVD in defeating Cinevia, though.
post #786 of 804 Old 09-21-2013, 08:50 PM

Thanks, but I'm not really interested in defeating cinavia. I just want to avoid installing it.
Can't stand UOP s and the way Sony etc get around fair use with DMCA.
post #787 of 804 Old 10-06-2013, 12:15 PM

Did anyone ever figure out if there is a way to set the time zone on this model?  I've found that when browsing files on my external hard drive attached to it, that the times are off by 4 hours (ahead) WhatIsMyTimeZone.com confirms it is showing GMT as current time zone and I am in EST.

post #788 of 804 Old 10-07-2013, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Are you using a proxy server?

post #789 of 804 Old 11-12-2013, 04:57 PM

I'm using Netflix on the Sony BDP-BX58 and I can't find out how to change the audio options (switching between stereo and 5.1) or the language options (switching to an English dub when watching a foreign video that has the option).

I know for a fact that the options exist because I've made use of them on my other Sony blu-ray player (and it was very easy, it was right there to access when I select the video), but after looking through all the menus and trying everything I can think of on the BDP-BX58 (fyi: the audio and subtitle buttons on the remote do nothing when watching Netflix streaming) I have reached my limit and I'm extremely irritated at this horrible design.

Does anyone know how to change the audio and language on a Netflix streaming video on this damn thing?

post #790 of 804 Old 12-27-2013, 07:02 PM

Has anyone run across this before? Probably something silly...

I have a Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray player that I've used for DVDs for over a year - just recently tried to play some blu-ray discs and getting a "Cannot Operate this Disc" error. I know the discs are fine and the player says the updates are current.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Brian
post #791 of 804 Old 12-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Have you tried (a) playing a DVD again instead, (b) playing streaming content instead and, if (a) and (b) work, (c) doing a factory reset?

post #792 of 804 Old 12-29-2013, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the response JBWIII,

Yep - the DVDs work fine, just not the blu-ray discs. Did a factory reset but same thing.

Evidently a defective unit and unfortunately I didn't test the blu-ray side of things immediately after purchase, as I didn't have any discs at that point. A valuable lesson learned to always fully test all facets of any new gear, whether you plan on using right away or not.

Some have had success after cleaning the laser, so I disassembled and cleaned, then reassembled - same thing. I'll just keep for DVD music discs, etc, but always liked Sony TVs so it's disappointing.
post #793 of 804 Old 01-08-2014, 07:34 AM

Has anyone upgraded to the EU version MR.7.0624?

I updated mine when prompted last night and now the whole player is screwed.

It started when we started to watch a Blue Ray after the update. The screen would keep going blank during playback and the TV would put up the no signal message and then it would pop back in and we would get image for 30 seconds and then it would disappear again. I turned the machine off at the wall. Bad idea.

On booting I always see the boot screen on the TV but as soon as it goes into the Home menu all visual output disappears 9/10 times. On the 1/10 boot I can see something (only on my Sony TV not others and only if plugged into HDMI Port 1 ARC port) I see the menu. Try to play a DVD and Blue Ray image disappears counter for playback goes up to about 7 seconds then goes back to 0 and sits there forever. And then I am back in the death spiral of turn off at mains wait 1 minute turn back on wait for boot screen to disappear and hope I get a menu.

I tried:-

1) Checking the cables on the existing TV non-Sony.

2) A different TV (Sony) with a different HDMI cable - Same results apart from the one boot in 10.

3) Creating the boot CD in case it was a bad update and reflashing but it just tells me already updated when it reads the CD.

4) Full factory reset.

I notice in the patch notes it also says once you go to 0624. you cannot downgrade.

What to do.!?

post #794 of 804 Old 02-01-2014, 10:39 AM

Yeah I need help I have a samsung 1080p 240 hz led tv, with a sony 3d blu ray player model bdp-s580. I need to run a few files with the audio codec a52(aka ac3) at least that's what vlc audio specs say. The videos MPEG 4, and MPEG 4(h264). I don't wanna upgrade the firmware because I'm not a fan of cinevida.
If anyone knows where I can download some custom firmware or get it email me at-acuradude411@aol.com
Thank you
post #795 of 804 Old 02-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Unless this miracle custom firmware author (who likely does not exist) significantly reworked the way the player handles codecs and buffers files, the support for MP4 video will still suck. My LG TV can handle any MP4 I throw at it. My S580 (with the latest firmware) chokes on every h264 and x264 file I've tried.

Figure out some other device to use to play your files.

post #796 of 804 Old 03-30-2014, 05:47 PM

Soooo...right when I updated to M07.R.0629, I lost any ability to connect wirelessly. I tried resetting, now it's worse. When I try to find a wireless Network, the S580 thinks it doesn't have wireless networking built in. It indicates after a about a minute that there's no wireless LAN capability.
post #797 of 804 Old 08-06-2014, 07:41 AM

Liked: 0
Network Share Attached External Hard Drive

This is a new setup:

I have a Sony BDP-S580 with a 640GB powered external hard drive attached to the rear USB port. The S580 plays the media off of the USB drive just fine. I would like to be able to send files from my PC directly to the attached drive rather than dogging it upstairs whenever I want to add media.

From my PC I can see the S580 on the wireless network at address 10.0.0.147 (or whatever), but I can not see the attached USB drive. Should it be visible and, if so, are there particular settings I need make?

The S580 has the latest firmware installed.

(I have a WD TV Live attached at another location on the network to a different TV and the external drive attached to it is visible on the wireless network. I did not need to do anything special for it, but it is newer than the S580 so maybe it's just better at sharing. The S580 and the WD TV Live are hardwired to the same router.)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

**I weedled through a lot of posts and did not see an answer for this. If you know of a thread or threads where this may have been addressed, please direct me to it/them - thanks.
post #798 of 804 Old 08-09-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the BDP-S580 and when playing a blu-ray disc it will not play Dobly or DTS audio. I have tried different disk, I have tried changing the audio settings. It is set to
Audio(HDMI) to auto,
DSD output mode to off,
BD Audio Mix setting to on,
Doblby Digital to DoblyDigital,
DTS to DTS,
DTS Neo:6 to Cinema,
Audio DRc to Auto,
Downmix to Surround
I have tried doing a factory reset on the Audio setting, BD/DVD settings and System Settings. I have checked for updates and it says up to date. Has anyone experienced this and found a fix?
post #799 of 804 Old 08-09-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinomite View Post
I have the BDP-S580 and when playing a blu-ray disc it will not play Dobly or DTS audio. I have tried different disk, I have tried changing the audio settings. It is set to

Audio(HDMI) to auto,
BD Audio Mix setting to on

Has anyone experienced this and found a fix?
Hi dinomite, change BD Audio Mix setting to "Off".
post #800 of 804 Old 08-09-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks that did it. That is usually used by my wife and I don't know how it got changed.
post #801 of 804 Old 08-11-2014, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangnail1961 View Post

This is a new setup:

I have a Sony BDP-S580 with a 640GB powered external hard drive attached to the rear USB port. The S580 plays the media off of the USB drive just fine. I would like to be able to send files from my PC directly to the attached drive rather than dogging it upstairs whenever I want to add media.

From my PC I can see the S580 on the wireless network at address 10.0.0.147 (or whatever), but I can not see the attached USB drive. Should it be visible and, if so, are there particular settings I need make?

(I have a WD TV Live attached at another location on the network to a different TV and the external drive attached to it is visible on the wireless network. I did not need to do anything special for it, but it is newer than the S580 so maybe it's just better at sharing. The S580 and the WD TV Live are hardwired to the same router.)

**I weedled through a lot of posts and did not see an answer for this. If you know of a thread or threads where this may have been addressed, please direct me to it/them - thanks.
Why bother with the drive,just stream video from the pc?ie dlna/upnp
post #802 of 804 Old 08-11-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpond View Post
Why bother with the drive,just stream video from the pc?ie dlna/upnp
That's what we've been doing, but the BDP-S580 is two floors below and at the other side of the house so the signal is not always reliable for streaming. Hence the hard drive. Thanks for the reply.
post #803 of 804 Old 08-27-2014, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangnail1961 View Post

This is a new setup:

I don't think that the S580 is designed to work this way. I'm surprised to hear that the WD box shares its HD on the network but like you said it's better at sharing. If you find yourself adding media to the drive often, consider just using a flash drive in the S580's front USB jack instead. Another option to consider would be to find a new enclosure for your external HD itself that supports wi-fi. That way you could "push" new media to the HD over the wireless network. (Caveat: I haven't done a lot of research regarding wi-fi external drives but I believe that they exist.)

post #804 of 804 Old 08-27-2014, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the reply. I've worked up a solution that has worked reliably for a week now. On a whim I purchased a set of powerline (HomePlug AV) network adapters (TPLink TA4010). If you are not familiar with these, the powerline technology creates a homewide network utilizing the home's electrical wiring rather than having to run ethernet cables or rely on wifi to broadcast to the far reaches.
1) Setup: One adapter is in an outlet near my router with an ethernet cable to the router, a second adapter is in an outlet near my upstairs computer with an ethernet cable to the computer, and a third adapter is in an outlet near the S580 with an ethernet cable to the S580,
2) My computer upstairs runs Mezzmo 4.0.6.0 as a media streaming service and it uses the drive connected to the WD TV Live as the video source,
3) The S580 sees the Mezzmo server and is able to stream video from the WD TV Live, although it does not directly see the WD TV Live drive.
This worked first time plug and play, has not suffered any lag problems and so I have not messed with it since the initial setup.
Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post
I don't think that the S580 is designed to work this way. I'm surprised to hear that the WD box shares its HD on the network but like you said it's better at sharing. If you find yourself adding media to the drive often, consider just using a flash drive in the S580's front USB jack instead. Another option to consider would be to find a new enclosure for your external HD itself that supports wi-fi. That way you could "push" new media to the HD over the wireless network. (Caveat: I haven't done a lot of research regarding wi-fi external drives but I believe that they exist.)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp Bx58 Blu Ray Disc Player 3d Built In Wireless , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Jvc Dla X70 Projector
Gear in this thread - S580 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page