Sony BDP-BX58 and BDP-S580 Owner's Thread-all questions/comments belong here - Page 28 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 834 Old 12-30-2014, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Need Help "WAIT" Flashing and no Picture

I noticed bad resolution on a Blu-ray a few days ago. I went into setting and changed the resolution to 1080 from 480. Clicked okay and now have no picture. Tried holding the stop button to reset resolution but no luck... I just made an update disc but player does not respond. Also tried component hookup but no pic and still have the "WAIT" message. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 834 Old 01-01-2015, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwBryan View Post
I noticed bad resolution on a Blu-ray a few days ago. I went into setting and changed the resolution to 1080 from 480. Clicked okay and now have no picture. Tried holding the stop button to reset resolution but no luck... I just made an update disc but player does not respond. Also tried component hookup but no pic and still have the "WAIT" message. Any ideas?
This reminds me of my first Sony DVD player my parents got me. It had great marks from Consumer Reports and worked great for about 2+ years.

One day got "No Disc" error when numerous discs were tried. Called Sony support and they said they'd fix it for $200. Got a brand new Pioneer DVD player that was just as good for $150 and threw out the Sony.

About a year later got a letter stating that the player was involved in a class action lawsuit because an optical component used in that player had widespread failure.

No player and no more receipt meant no (meager) cash from the settlement.

post #813 of 834 Old 01-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
check out pg. 28 in the user manual.

https://docs.sony.com/release/BDPS480_580_BX58.pdf

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #814 of 834 Old 01-02-2015, 09:59 PM

I think Pioneer_Elite is right. I'm going to pitch this unit and start over. I purchased this one a little more than a year ago, so no warranty. Class action, why bother, new ones are $75... Nothing on p28 but thanks for the try.
post #815 of 834 Old 01-03-2015, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think Pioneer_Elite is right. I'm going to pitch this unit and start over. I purchased this one a little more than a year ago, so no warranty. Class action, why bother, new ones are $75... Nothing on p28 but thanks for the try.
p 28 of the manual tells you how to reset the player. that is always worth a try.

post #816 of 834 Old 01-03-2015, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
If you got the unit from Costco, maybe you can return it to get your money back. I did that with this unit 8 months after buying it because it would vibrate on the glass shelf of the entertainment center (esp during 3D BD) and it was very audible and distracting.

post #817 of 834 Old 01-05-2015, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Since the 0631 fw update I am getting cannot load disc for both bluray and dvd.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!
post #818 of 834 Old 01-08-2015, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfish View Post
Anyone had trouble with the recent update? I just tried to update and the play turned off and when I tried to poewer it on it said welcome and powered off again. Now the player wont turn on at all. I have tried pulling the power cord and waiting several minutes but still it wont power on. I also pulled the HDMI cable incase there was an issue with that but its still dead in the water. Any thoughts on how to fix it?

John
Looks like a couple people are having issues since the latest firmware upgrade. I've just been ignoring it for now. I sure would like to know if those having difficulties ever got it resolved.

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #819 of 834 Old 02-12-2015, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My drive is now loading again, there was a few days of behavior that has now ceased. I've made no changes during that time.
post #820 of 834 Old 02-24-2015, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sony Blu-ray BDP-BX58 won't connect to . .

Hello, This is my first post anywhere. My Sony Blu-ray BDP-BX58 was working great streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime videos last night. Tonight it wont connect to any video (or music) servers/services. It jumps right back to Home or says there's a connection problem after trying to connect for a couple of minutes. Per the menue, all of my connections are ok and active and I can connect to the internet through the player via using a URL. I don't tech speak, so this is the best way I can explain what's happening. I've turned the unit off and on serveral times hoping to recycle it but to no avail. My Samsung tablet can open and play Netflix tonight with no problem. Never had this issue before. Thank you for any help you can provide. Jowatts
ragonarf likes this.
post #821 of 834 Old 02-24-2015, 08:08 PM

Liked: 11
you are not alone...it started about 5-6pm cst. I had to try to connect several times and got to watch a couple Netflix. after each viewing I had trouble reconnecting. now I cannot connect to amazon Netflix crackle youtube or any other internet content provider. How ever my bdp-s570 does report it is connected to the internet and does play local videos stored on my local network. also when checking the status I noticed everything ok except "Sony Provisional Server" just showed "..." it did not say failed or successful. I think the problem is the Sony servers and there is nothing a user can do except complain. as a matter of fact, even though I would like to buy a sony 40 inch tv this is the reason I am looking at different companies. I figure when the sony servers go down, and this is not the first time, I will have backup.
jowatts likes this.
post #822 of 834 Old 02-24-2015, 08:13 PM

Liked: 1
Thanks for the FAST response! Am I understanding that this is a Sony server problem and will (hopefully) reslove itself shortly/soon/in some unknown time in the future (lol)? Nothing to do but keep trying to connect? thanks again.
post #823 of 834 Old 02-26-2015, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Denon BDP-1611UD vs. Sony BDP-S580

So..

I have both players and am currently using the 1611UD, but I just can't stand how long it takes for the player to start up and get to the menu screen of a disc. The UI is absolutely atrocious as well.

My S580 does this a lot quicker, so I'm thinking of switching back for convenience.

Now..I know that my 1611UD is the so called "superior" player, so do you think there would be a huge difference in video quality if I made the switch back to my "inferior" S580?

Onkyo TX-NR636 (5.1.2) | Proficient Audio AW525 (L&R) | Proficient Audio CC550 | Proficient Audio GS10 (LFE) | Yamaha NS-IC400 (Surrounds) | Harmony Ultimate | Apple TV (3rd Gen) | Denon BDP-1611UD | Sony BDP-S580 | Xbox One | Sony Bravia 46"

Last edited by MasterAudio; 02-26-2015 at 10:40 AM.
post #824 of 834 Old 03-04-2015, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Has anyone else had issues with their S580 continually spinning if a disc in in the player, even though it's not being watched? If I'm on the home screen or streaming Netflix, etc. the disc is spinning.
post #825 of 834 Old 03-13-2015, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a question too.

Does anyone know what DAC they used for the rca audio outs in this player?

I contacted Sony and unlike Oppo...they won't tell me.
???

I'm thinking if they're not gonna boast about it...it ain't very good.
post #826 of 834 Old 03-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blood View Post
I have a question too.

Does anyone know what DAC they used for the rca audio outs in this player?

I contacted Sony and unlike Oppo...they won't tell me.
???

I'm thinking if they're not gonna boast about it...it ain't very good.
I expect few people use the 2 channel analog audio outputs on this player, so almost no one cares?

post #827 of 834 Old 03-13-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I expect few people use the 2 channel analog audio outputs on this player, so almost no one cares?
I guess so.
But don't you find it odd that Sony is withholding this info?

I'd like to know if it's the same as what's in my old Oppo.
post #828 of 834 Old 03-13-2015, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I guess so.
But don't you find it odd that Sony is withholding this info?

I'd like to know if it's the same as what's in my old Oppo.
No - I don't find it odd at all. In order to withhold info, one would have to know it or have access to it . . and it is highly unlikely that whatever telephone support person you got on the phone has any such knowledge or access.

Last edited by Rich86; 03-13-2015 at 05:01 PM.
post #829 of 834 Old 03-13-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
No - I don't find it odd at all. In order to withhold info, one would have to know it or have access to it . . and it is highly unlikely that whatever telephone support person you got on the phone has any such knowledge or access.
He told me "Sony won't give out that information" after putting me on hold.
post #830 of 834 Old 03-13-2015, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
He told me "Sony won't give out that information" after putting me on hold.
OK - and you think this phone pool person contacted the president of Sony to get the official corporate policy on this topic while you were on hold? He probably asked the phone person in the chair next to him and he said "huh - who cares??"

post #831 of 834 Old 03-13-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
OK - and you think this phone pool person contacted the president of Sony to get the official corporate policy on this topic while you were on hold? He probably asked the phone person in the chair next to him and he said "huh - who cares??"
What's your problem?

He could easily have said he/they doesn't know instead he said Sony doesn't give out that type of info.

It's been a pleasure conversing with you.
post #832 of 834 Old 03-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What's your problem?

He could easily have said he/they doesn't know instead he said Sony doesn't give out that type of info.

I don't have a problem . . . I've never used 2 channel analog audio outputs from a BD player. I just think it is impractical to expect some normally semi-useless phone support person to be able to tell you details of the internal proprietary design of a basic 2 channel analog audio output circuit for a blu-ray player. If it is really that important to you to know this, you might research more technical review columns to see if someone delved into the subject on this player for some reason. Some reviewers do open up players to see the actual processing chips used for some functions.

post #833 of 834 Old Today, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
What's your problem?

My guess (and that's all it is) would be that telling you "I don't know" could have resulted in you asking that person to find someone who *does* know, creating more work on their part.

On the other hand, saying "Sony doesn't give out that information" effectively prevents you from following up in a way that would create more work for him.

Have you checked reviews of the player online? Reviews, especially those aimed at audiophiles, will often describe the chips found in the player.

A cursory search led me to an Australian forum post that says, in part, "the s370, s470, s580 are all great players and have a WM 8524 dac for audio," but of course that's not authoritative.

Product datasheet: http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDat...M8524_v4.1.pdf

Good luck!

Indecision is the basis of flexibility.
post #834 of 834 Old Today, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlastic View Post
A cursory search led me to an Australian forum post that says, in part, "the s370, s470, s580 are all great players and have a WM 8524 dac for audio," but of course that's not authoritative.

Product datasheet: http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDat...M8524_v4.1.pdf

Good luck!
Strange that the forum post stuck the s580 model # on the end of that string instead of the same model group s570. Hopefully not a typo or something like that.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Jvc Dla X70 Projector , Sony , Sony Bdp Bx58 Blu Ray Disc Player 3d Built In Wireless , Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , sony bdp-bx58 won't connect to video servers
Gear in this thread - S580 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page