Sony BDP-BX58 and BDP-S580 Owner's Thread-all questions/comments belong here - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 804 Old 03-24-2011, 03:01 PM
SFC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an older BDP-S300 and have been anixiously awaiting a newer model that will play HD mpg and mkv files, both on discs and from a DNLA server. Up until reading this thread, I thought the 580 fit the bill. But, based on comments here (the 580 does not output HD over the component connectors) and the fine print in the 580 Specifications for HD mpg ("The player can only play standard definition video on a DLNA server") and AVC files ("The player does not play this file format on a DLNA server"), I'm at a real loss. Supprizingly (at least to me), the 770 specifications read the same!

Is this correct (no component HD output, little or no HD output via DLNA)?

If so, will other models/brands play HD mpg and mkv files on a DNLA server???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 804 Old 03-26-2011, 10:55 AM

Hi,

I bought the Sony BX58 from Costco. When I noticed that I had issues with AVI and MKV files, I tried re-ripping a couple of my discs. For BD, I ripped as MKV using Handbrake. There is a known issue with the latest version of Handbrake that forces you to explicitly state the Output FPS instead of just using the "Source" setting. For DVDs, I ripped as AVI (Xvid). I then went to the settings for my NAS (Synology) to enable custom mime-types and added the following entry:
mkv=video/x-msvideo
Then, re-indexed the media files on my NAS. Now, my Sony can play these AVI and MKV files. Seems to work fine in terms of both audio and video.

I also was unable to play my FLAC files initially while MP3 played fine. To fix this, I needed to enable transcoding on the fly in my Synology.

Hope this helps anyone else who encounters similar issues.

Cheers.
post #63 of 804 Old 03-26-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

If you have yours hooked up to an a/v receiver, do you have HDMI Deep Color set to AUTO or OFF? Reason I say, is over the last 2 months, people have had issues with 2 of the prior firmware updates that affected the S570, which caused picture drop outs for many of us. Personally, I'd rather have the HDMI Deep Color set to AUTO since my tv supports this. I was forced to turn it OFF since having set to AUTO was the causing the picture drop outs.

770 here and it was the YCbCr/RGB setting causing black screen with SD material. Deep Color not a problem, but it is useless so might as well be off. Now I use YCbCr 4:2:2 and everything else AUTO with zero problems.

By the way, in general, AUTO settings cause slightly longer handshaking.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #64 of 804 Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 AM

there was a $20 off coupon at Costco when I just bought mine.

Bought it because I thought my iPad could be used as a remote control. Looking for a remote that has a keyboard feature to type internet and network stuff in quickly.

Player did the web and network connection just fine but without a good full keyboard, it is a pain. Taking mine back to Costco. Anyone have any suggestions for a unit that features a keyboard remote slidout or something?
post #65 of 804 Old 03-27-2011, 08:41 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fklarme View Post
there was a $20 off coupon at Costco when I just bought mine.

Bought it because I thought my iPad could be used as a remote control. Looking for a remote that has a keyboard feature to type internet and network stuff in quickly.

Player did the web and network connection just fine but without a good full keyboard, it is a pain. Taking mine back to Costco. Anyone have any suggestions for a unit that features a keyboard remote slidout or something?
I'm pretty sure the "Media Remote" app will work for iOs and Android. On that app there is a text entry section where you can type on your ipad or phone and it will input into the blu-ray interface.
post #66 of 804 Old 03-27-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by essenns View Post

Hi,

I bought the Sony BX58 from Costco. When I noticed that I had issues with AVI and MKV files, I tried re-ripping a couple of my discs. For BD, I ripped as MKV using Handbrake. There is a known issue with the latest version of Handbrake that forces you to explicitly state the Output FPS instead of just using the "Source" setting. For DVDs, I ripped as AVI (Xvid). I then went to the settings for my NAS (Synology) to enable custom mime-types and added the following entry:
mkv=video/x-msvideo
Then, re-indexed the media files on my NAS. Now, my Sony can play these AVI and MKV files. Seems to work fine in terms of both audio and video.

I also was unable to play my FLAC files initially while MP3 played fine. To fix this, I needed to enable transcoding on the fly in my Synology.

Hope this helps anyone else who encounters similar issues.

Cheers.

Does it play flac 5.1?
post #67 of 804 Old 03-28-2011, 01:36 AM

The box for the Bx58 as well as all the product write-ups mention that you can watch live sports. Does anybody know where this goes down?
post #68 of 804 Old 03-28-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremymcbbhi View Post

The box for the Bx58 as well as all the product write-ups mention that you can watch live sports. Does anybody know where this goes down?

I'm assuming that this feature is "Coming Soon."
post #69 of 804 Old 03-29-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

770 here and it was the YCbCr/RGB setting causing black screen with SD material. Deep Color not a problem, but it is useless so might as well be off. Now I use YCbCr 4:2:2 and everything else AUTO with zero problems.

By the way, in general, AUTO settings cause slightly longer handshaking.

Let me ask you, do you see a difference in PQ when set to YCbCr 4:2:2? I've always had mine set to AUTO. As far as the Deep Color, I thought having set to AUTO would slighty improve PQ, but when I recently turned it OFF, it looked like PQ remained the same. Is this what you meant when you said it was useless? It makes me wonder why they even came up with Deep Color.
post #70 of 804 Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I haven't noticed a change in the picture either way, just smoother operation.

I don't think any movie studios are using deep color, maybe games? I suppose if you were to author your own Blu-ray you could make it deep color.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #71 of 804 Old 03-30-2011, 03:53 AM

when you start up for the first time in set up on the BDP-S580 what setting have you changed from default, sound, video, etc?
This is using a HDMI cable.
post #72 of 804 Old 04-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone else care to share their experience using this unit as a DLNA client?

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive." -Sir Walter Scott

post #73 of 804 Old 04-01-2011, 07:28 PM

Just bought the unit and tried out the USB port. For some reason I have no problem playing avi files off a usb key but the player is not able to recognize my Western Digital Elements 2TB drive whether it is formatted to NTFS or to ExFat. I looked for a list of supported devices but couldn't find it anywhere.
post #74 of 804 Old 04-01-2011, 09:35 PM

From what I've seen online, this player should have analog stereo out. Is this correct and has anyone tried using those jacks? How is the sound quality?
post #75 of 804 Old 04-01-2011, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have both the 570 and the 58... The 58 has some issues. The wireless reception on the 58 is a LOT worse than the 570. My 570 can get 100% signal on wireless g and 70% on wireless n. the 58 can only get 80% on the wireless g and cannot even get a signal on wireless n.

On nice little feature on the 58 is that a little wireless strength meter appears when you press the display key. The 57 does not have that. The 58 also has VUDU and the 570 does not.

Speed wise, the players appear to be the same. I have not noticed any difference in PQ or noise. The 58 is the same in width and height as the 570 but the 570 is deeper by an inch or so.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #76 of 804 Old 04-02-2011, 11:43 AM

I just bought a BDp-BX58 yesterday, bringing it back today. The DLNA features were te reason for the purchase and it seems like the number of supported formats is slim. I'm just trying to transcode my own DVD collection onto a DLNA server but the Sony isn't liking DD sound or a number of other things from that source.

It's going back to Costco.

I'll get a WD HD Plus streaming box for $90 at Frys instead to supplement my existing BD player.
post #77 of 804 Old 04-02-2011, 08:19 PM

I ripped a BD as a MKV with 6 channel audio track. I am able to successfully play the MKV from a Synology NAS, and the receiver is recognizing the DD soundtrack and playing it correctly.
post #78 of 804 Old 04-02-2011, 09:54 PM

I tried serving the files up from both a Windows 7 WM library and a Twonky enabled router. The media worked when playing in Win7 but not on the Sony, I tried several encodings including a simple passthrough to remove the VOb wrappers and re-encapsulate in an mpg file. Nice video, no sound. There is a 6 discrete track option in Handbrake but I'm not interested in making a special transcoding for every device I have in the house.
post #79 of 804 Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 AM

Liked: 36
I bought a BDP-S580 this weekend and played around with USB HDD playback.

I connected a GoFlex USB 1.5 TB portable HDD, formatted as NTFS, and was pleasantly surprised when the drive showed up (I wasn't sure if NTFS was supported).

Then, I played some MKVs that were re-muxed from BDs, using DVDFab, and these also played back beautifully - no video or audio stutter, fast rewind/forward and bitstreaming DTS 5.1 to my AVR with perfect PQ (well, as good as what's on the original Blu-ray).

Wow... Sony has come a long was as a company to support something like that.

However, any attempt to compress the MKV failed to playback (i.e. re-encode from the original BD source to a similarly formatted MKV, but with compressed video). I tried a variety of encoders and settings (DVDFab and Handbrake) and was either treated to a message about corrupt files or the player simply skipped the file and tried to play the next one.

I *was* able, however, to feed the remuxed MKV into the DivX Plus Converter (w/ DivX Plus HD setting), load the resulting file onto the drive and that played back just fine (although the DivX converter re-encodes the audio to 2-channel AAC).

Does anyone know what the Sony Blu-ray players are expecting from an MKV file to play back properly?

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #80 of 804 Old 04-04-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvigue View Post

It's going back to Costco.

I'll get a WD HD Plus streaming box for $90 at Frys instead to supplement my existing BD player.

So I got my money back from Costco and got a Western Digital WD HD Live Plus (?) tiny little box, does everything the BDP did except play physical media, which is fine since I'm happy with my old BD player.

So far the WD box is showing literally everything I throw at it without complaint. The only "shortcoming" is that I can't see yet how to switch between sound tracks.

So for anyone considering upgrading an existing BD player to a DLNA enabled BD player, this might be an option to consider.
post #81 of 804 Old 04-05-2011, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quick question. Just bought the 58 at Sams. Setup seemed to go ok except a couple areas I would like some info on. Set up for HDMI but it wont accept the 1080p, so i had to go with Auto. Also, when playing Blu ray, isn't the laser color supposed to turn dark blue? I know it did on my older Sony.

Have it hooked up to an Onkyo 606 and a Mitsubishi HC5500 1080p projector.

Thanks in advance

Mitsubishi HC5500 Projector
Integra DTR-50.3 7.1 Receiver
Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
post #82 of 804 Old 04-05-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldtoo View Post

Quick question. Just bought the 58 at Sams. Setup seemed to go ok except a couple areas I would like some info on. Set up for HDMI but it wont accept the 1080p, so i had to go with Auto. Also, when playing Blu ray, isn't the laser color supposed to turn dark blue? I know it did on my older Sony.

Have it hooked up to an Onkyo 606 and a Mitsubishi HC5500 1080p projector.

Thanks in advance

Also, is it possible to connect a wireless keyboard for Internet capabilities? Probably not, but thought I would try

Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
post #83 of 804 Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:

Also, when playing Blu ray, isn't the laser color supposed to turn dark blue? I know it did on my older Sony.

Likely a cost cutting measure [along with the loss of the on-board storage and 5 GHz band wireless]. My BX58 doesn't change colors for blu-ray v. DVD, like my older Sony. Oh well.
post #84 of 804 Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 AM

so, i have an netflix account. i have watched a few things on my PCs. so i thought i'd upgrade to a blu-ray player that could stream. a quick review said the bdp-s580 would. my sony purchases in the past have always worked well.

so out i go to buy this unit. bring it home, hook it up. connect via a wired connection to my DSL network, go through the enrollment and setup with Nefflix, choose some tv shows to add to watch now queue and use it successfully 1.5 times. 1.5 times because the first time it works, the second time it took me an hour to finally connect. since that time it has not been able.

now, im a network guy with some background in internet protocol, sockets, both tcp and UDP, raw sockets etc. i have a protocol analyzer which i connect to capture the dialog between this thing and netflix and sony.

I can browse using the browser and viewing the the initial dialog between the various servers it can start the dialog.

ssm.internet.sony.tv is first destination. i assume its verifying my device somehow. gets into some SSL dialog, certificate transfers.

next it goes to bivl.netflix.com,

eventually i get https [RST,ACK], https Encrypted Alert

from some brief searches on the net, it appears that packets are probably being dropped between the client (BDP s580) and the server(s). either sony and/or netflix. This obviously doesnt happen between my PC and netflix. I will assume there is some problem with sony and how it handles streaming. There are indications that all netflix streams go through sony servers, so perhaps the issue is with those servers.

whatever it is, it makes this player useless as a streaming device. I'm now searching for an alternative solution (another device).

calling sony for 'help' should be reserved for those days when you have an irresistible urge for punishment or your testing a new medication for its calming effects during stressful events...
post #85 of 804 Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Also, is it possible to connect a wireless keyboard for Internet capabilities? Probably not, but thought I would try

I don't know, but you can use an Android or iPhone app as the remote, which *does* have a nice keyboard. Works great.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #86 of 804 Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Great information, tolnep. Thanks. I always wondered why sony had streaming issues, and now we have actual data. FWIW, panasonic has been the best streaming player I've ever had, with virtually no connection, PQ or re-buffering issues.
post #87 of 804 Old 04-06-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Great information, tolnep. Thanks. I always wondered why sony had streaming issues, and now we have actual data. FWIW, panasonic has been the best streaming player I've ever had, with virtually no connection, PQ or re-buffering issues.

Well, that's one data point. Frankly, I used a 470 and now a 580 for streaming all the time and it works great. In fact, I would say of my Netflix devices (PS3, Apple TV 2 and BDP-S580), it has the best PQ of the three.

As always, your mileage may vary...

post #88 of 804 Old 04-06-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Well, that's one data point. Frankly, I used a 470 and now a 580 for streaming all the time and it works great. In fact, I would say of my Netflix devices (PS3, Apple TV 2 and BDP-S580), it has the best PQ of the three.

As always, your mileage may vary...

i will say, that when it streamed the picture quality was great, at least by my standards. its the connectivity that drove me crazy. and im not the only one. google search picks up lots of folks with issues.

as a follow up. i have a t1 in my house in addition to my ATT ADSL. The t1 is for work and has less down than the DSL. so anyway i get to reading about how there are DNS issues with ATT. something to do with the IP addresses the ATT DNS servers provide. So i go back, set the IP settings to use DHCP, but hard set the DNS servers to my T1 DNS IPs and i can connect, at least today..

Some folks recommend using openDNS or google DNS. Some folks say this doesnt work for them.

whatever is going on here is odd and most people arent going to be able to get beyond the fact that it simply doesnt work lots of the time.

Krutsch, what network are you on? and what type of network? DSL, cable, FIOS, ATT UVERSE etc.

Lots of ATT UVERSE folks seem to have a problem like mine.
post #89 of 804 Old 04-06-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellte2 View Post

Likely a cost cutting measure [along with the loss of the on-board storage and 5 GHz band wireless]. My BX58 doesn't change colors for blu-ray v. DVD, like my older Sony. Oh well.

Thanks. I knew my BDX2 did. Just wanted to make sure it was working correctly. Guess I won't be using much of the Internet things if a wireless keyboard won't work. Thanks again

Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
post #90 of 804 Old 04-06-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolnep View Post

i will say, that when it streamed the picture quality was great, at least by my standards. its the connectivity that drove me crazy. and im not the only one. google search picks up lots of folks with issues.

Krutsch, what network are you on? and what type of network? DSL, cable, FIOS, ATT UVERSE etc.

Lots of ATT UVERSE folks seem to have a problem like mine.

I have Comcast into my home, which has been good when it's not down (I've had more than my fair share of outages).

However, I solved all of these problems by running a wireless bridge to my home theater with an ethernet switch. It's a second Apple Airport Extreme running in bridge mode; when I connect my Apple TV 2, PS3 and Sony Blu-ray player, I just plug in the ether cord and I'm done; Zip Zop.

The Apple TV discussion forums are lit up with all kinds of wireless problems, so my belief is that none of these consumer electronics devices really implement a robust wireless client. My friend brought his Roku into the office to show me how cool it was and we could NOT initially get it to come up on the Wi-Fi network. I just handed him a cable and we plugged in... The End.

The other advantage to running a wireless bridge / ethernet switch is you can position the bridge where it gets the best wireless signal. My primary router is two floors up from the entertainment center, and streaming bandwidth from the WAP was always a problem. Not any more...

You have to remember that these boxes are all sitting in a cabinet, underneath a TV and probably have poor antennas - bad signal strength reduces bandwidth in an almost exponential manner.

Finally, the streaming providers are "bursty" when they send data - if you put a network monitor on while watching an HD movie from, say, Amazon, you will see data rates that vary from 2 - 10+ Mbps. You can't be constrained by your internal network that realistically tops out at roughly 65 Mbps (yes... even for 802.11 N, regardless of claims of 300 Mbps on the package).

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp Bx58 Blu Ray Disc Player 3d Built In Wireless , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Jvc Dla X70 Projector
Gear in this thread - S580 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page