Sony BDP-BX58 and BDP-S580 Owner's Thread-all questions/comments belong here - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 804 Old 04-06-2011, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have wireless capabilities with Uverse, but since the modem is actually in the media room, I have my unit hooked to the router. Haven't tried Netflix or anything yet since I just bought the unit the other day. Will try it and report when I do

Mitsubishi HC5500 Projector
Integra DTR-50.3 7.1 Receiver
Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 804 Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got the s-580 and I can't find how to get VUDU on it (I use it on my ps3 in the other room.) Am I missing something obvious?
post #93 of 804 Old 04-07-2011, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsog
I just got the s-580 and I can't find how to get VUDU on it (I use it on my ps3 in the other room.) Am I missing something obvious?
I go to "Home", "Video", then scroll down to "Vudu".

Mitsubishi HC5500 Projector
Integra DTR-50.3 7.1 Receiver
Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
post #94 of 804 Old 04-07-2011, 07:33 AM

just to add. i never at any time tried the wireless connectivity. i have a cable running to my media area from my computer room. i assumed the wired connection would be better than the wireless and easier to set up so i never even tried wireless which some folks say has limitations with the bdp s-580. i have multiple routers, hardware vpn gateways and wireless devices in my computer room. my laptop and my cell phone use wireless. everything that doesnt move uses wired connections.

thats how i was able to run a sniffer to look at the packets. i put a hub (not a switch) in the media area and plugged a sniffer and the blu-ray player into the hub.

looks like the issues are a combination of ATT + sony. I dont add netflix because before i changed the DNS server IPs no streaming content worked (HULU, youtube for instance) though all 'browser' access did.
post #95 of 804 Old 04-08-2011, 09:49 AM

I've had the 580 for about a month now. So far in my eyes the experience has been flawless. It does exactly what I need it to, it plays bluray movies perfectly. Boot up time is very fast which I like and the audio/video quality is top notch.

Wireless has been fine for the bluray live features. I have a 360 and PS3 if I want to do netflix so I haven't tried that out yet.

In my opinion this is a fine player and does everything I need it to do!

I spend waaay to much time reading tech, sports, movie blogs. I need another hobby!!!
post #96 of 804 Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldtoo View Post

I go to "Home", "Video", then scroll down to "Vudu".

And its not there... is there any way to reset it completely? I've updated and reset everything on the regular menu, tried wifi and wired, it just doesn't show up. What else could it be?

Looking at the sony support it has latest firmware of late feb, on that site it doesn't list vudu, but on the box and on march 15 press release they say this model supports vudu, but there hasn't been a firmware update or addition at least on mine. Other people say that they have it already so is there something wrong with mine or does it need to be reset somehow? I just got it 5 days ago.
post #97 of 804 Old 04-10-2011, 02:41 PM

one more thing i think i have discovered.

the player is connected to a ATT 2Wire ADSL router. Normal setup is to use DHCP for everything, assigned IP, router and DNS servers. The player is assigned a 192.168.x.x address, the router (1st hop) is 192.168.x.254, the DNS server address (only one) is 192.168.x.254.

Key here is only 1 DNS entry is assigned. the second address remains 0.0.0.0. This is the same as any pc that is behind the firewall, not in the DMZ.

What i have discovered is, I can manually assign the first address 192.168.x.254 and the second DNS a real ATT DNS server found via looking at the configuration of the ADSL router itself. When i have both DNS servers assigned it works. I have yet to have it fail.

You cannot assign 192.168.x.254 twice and you dont want to assign a fake DNS address so i found a valid ATT DNS server and used it. The 2Wire router will only provide one DNS address to the internal network (192.168.x.x). I now believe that there is an issue with the bdp-s580 when the second DNS server has an invalid (0.0.0.0) DNS address, even if the first is valid. Addressing that problem seems to make the device work.

Also contrary to what i first believe and what you may find on the internet, there is no passthru between the player, sony's servers and netflix. the sony servers are involved in connecting to netflix. my guess is there is some history and/or statistics it provides to those servers based on your viewing habits. perhaps the sony servers did some sort of passthru at one time, but according to my traces this is not happening, at least with me currently.
post #98 of 804 Old 04-12-2011, 12:40 AM

Love my S580. Rock Solid performance, plays avi(Which is huge for me!) and SQ/PQ is fantastic. Retiring my OPPO actually!!!

Seeing people here buy units, get them home, and then asking here(after the fact!!!) "is this good, guys, should I take it back?" is a bit , well.foolish!!. Think for yourselves for goodness sake. If you like it, who cares what anyone else here thinks? Why seek validation?
post #99 of 804 Old 04-12-2011, 12:10 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

I bought a BDP-S580 this weekend and played around with USB HDD playback.

I connected a GoFlex USB 1.5 TB portable HDD, formatted as NTFS, and was pleasantly surprised when the drive showed up (I wasn't sure if NTFS was supported).

Then, I played some MKVs that were re-muxed from BDs, using DVDFab, and these also played back beautifully - no video or audio stutter, fast rewind/forward and bitstreaming DTS 5.1 to my AVR with perfect PQ (well, as good as what's on the original Blu-ray).

Wow... Sony has come a long was as a company to support something like that.

However, any attempt to compress the MKV failed to playback (i.e. re-encode from the original BD source to a similarly formatted MKV, but with compressed video). I tried a variety of encoders and settings (DVDFab and Handbrake) and was either treated to a message about corrupt files or the player simply skipped the file and tried to play the next one.

Does anyone know what the Sony Blu-ray players are expecting from an MKV file to play back properly?

OK, I played around with this some more... it seems that the BDP-S580 will only play back videos *above* a certain bit rate (huh? that was a surprise for me, but I'm suspect there's a valid technical reason or maybe Sony doesn't want us looking at low quality video ).

Anyway, my successful test videos were MKV containers with h.264 encoded video, 1920x1080, with an average bitrate of at least 5120 kbps (5 Mbps) with a single audio track: either passthru dts (1.5 Mbps) or passthru Dolby AC-3 (448 or 640 kbps).

I tested mostly with SD source videos (DVDs), but much higher bit rates work, as well, using Blu-rays as the source, all the way up to remux (i.e. no change to the original Blu-ray). Actually, the remuxed Blu-rays play back perfectly. My next test is to leave the HD audio intact and see if I can play those back from the USB connected drive.

Wow... that makes the Sony Blu-ray player an incredible device; most of these media players struggle with higher bit rate material. My Apple TV 2 is stuck at 720p and my friend's Roku cannot playback material above 8 Mbps (which excludes BD remux content). I've heard that the WD TV thing can handle just about anything you can throw at it, but I wonder if it will handle HD audio.

I'll re-post with my HD audio findings, when I get a chance to try this over the weekend.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #100 of 804 Old 04-17-2011, 12:18 AM

Liked: 14
Manually configuring my DNS servers for the player seemed to rectify the horrendous Netflix playback/rebuffering problems. I used Google DNS (primary: 8.8.8.8; secondary: 8.8.4.4) and had no rebuffering issues over a two hour movie - this was the first time I've ever been able to make it through a film without countless problems (eventually forcing me to pick up where I left off on my Xbox 360 Netflix app). It should be noted that I was using the wireless connection.
post #101 of 804 Old 04-17-2011, 10:00 AM

Netflix updated on my 580 to allow searching! The app is much improved now and combined with the streaming performance, one of the largest knocks against the player might now be gone.
post #102 of 804 Old 04-17-2011, 03:14 PM

Costco Sony BPD-BX58 -- It seems that this player has been "bad mouthed" a bit.

So, let me add my 2 cents.

I bought one and connected it today.

It is great!!! So, far. Wireless problems that others have had, I don't. Picture quality is equal to DirectTV and off air HD.

I am still figuring out the in and outs of setup. However, let me tell you what I have, so you can judge for yourself.

Currently the BX58 is connected to a Sony KP61 (61" 4x3) HS30 (capable of 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i input) through component.

This RPTV will display 480p, 960i, and 1080i. With an HD signal it does a raster squeeze and uses all lines of resolution projected in 16x9 format. It is equal to a 57" in 16x9 format.

The audio out of the BX58 is by coax to a Sherwood/New Castle R-865.
I am not an IT person, but I support 20 computers on a network at my office, and four at home, three are wireless.

I had NO difficulty connecting to my Netgear WNDR3300. I manual configured the ip address and entered the router's name and password. The Sony connected just as it should. I will post separately on streaming.

Blu-Ray disks. The picture is great, and so is the sound (5.1 DTS). I am not sure what resolution the BX-58 is sending for Blu-Ray. It could be 1080i, or 720P. I don't think it is 480p, because of the picture quality. I know it is NOT 480i, because the KP61 is doing its auto raster squeeze, which does not occur with 480i.

However, with a standard DVD it does output 480i, because the raster squeeze does not auto apply. And of course a standard DVD does not look like a Blu-Ray. However, Dolby 5.1 sounds great!

I am happy with the purchase!!!

The purchase of an HDFury2 or similar product is in the near future.

If I understand it correctly, the BX-58 will upsample standard DVD for output from the HDMI. In order to benefit from that upsampling to my KP61 I will need the HDFury2 or a similar devise. Please correct me if I am wrong on this point.

Thanks

Bruce
post #103 of 804 Old 04-17-2011, 03:18 PM

Wireless connection quality.

Around 28 feet direct shot through wooden AV center, a few wooden uprights and two low e double paned windows, to a Netgear WDR3300 wireless router.

The router is connected to a cable modem with 10 meg down and 2 up. It generally performs as it should, but occasionally my provider (Charter) fails me and I have no internet, usually for less than a day, but certainly more than a few hours.

My laptop has a 5 bar wireless display signal strength indicator, as does the onscreen BX58 Netflix indicator. Whether they actually measure the same, I have no idea. When I stand next to the BX58 my laptop displays 4 out of 5 bars. The BX58 onscreen shows between 2 and 3 bars out of 5.

On screen with Netflix, I generally see 7 to 10 Mbps. With some films, like Oceans it can go as high as 20 Mbps, but is generally around14 Mbps. But I have seen it drop to 3 Mbps. Even at that speed there is no interruption of the program.

But on another movie, the throughput can drop to 0.5 Mbps, which stops playback. This drop in Mbps is not based on my wireless connection strength(I don't think), and does seem to be program dependent. I went back and forth between the two movies and got the same result both times.

So, what gives??

Anyone know why different movies would be so different in Mbps throughput?

Update, about an hour into Oceans (1:24), my throughput dropped to zero. I backed out to the home screen and restated. It still stalled. I repositioned my router for a slightly higher signal strength, and started Netflix again. This time I was back up to my 10 Mbps. I do see the throughput varying between 1.5 and 9 Mbps. I will keep you all informed so that we can get the best from our players/and systems.

Thanks for the answer.

Bruce
post #104 of 804 Old 04-17-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.weiland View Post

Wireless connection quality.

Around 28 feet direct shot through wooden AV center, a few wooden uprights and two low e double paned windows, to a Netgear WDR3300 wireless router.

The router is connected to a cable modem with 10 meg down and 2 up. It generally performs as it should, but occasionally my provider (Charter) fails me and I have no internet, usually for less than a day, but certainly more than a few hours.

My laptop has a 5 bar wireless display signal strength indicator, as does the onscreen BX58 Netflix indicator. Whether they actually measure the same, I have no idea. When I stand next to the BX58 my laptop displays 4 out of 5 bars. The BX58 onscreen shows between 2 and 3 bars out of 5.

On screen with Netflix, I generally see 7 to 10 Mbps. With some films, like Oceans it can go as high as 20 Mbps, but is generally around14 Mbps. But I have seen it drop to 3 Mbps. Even at that speed there is no interruption of the program.

But on another movie, the throughput can drop to 0.5 Mbps, which stops playback. This drop in Mbps is not based on my wireless connection strength(I don't think), and does seem to be program dependent. I went back and forth between the two movies and got the same result both times.

So, what gives??

Anyone know why different movies would be so different in Mbps throughput?

Update, about an hour into Oceans (1:24), my throughput dropped to zero. I backed out to the home screen and restated. It still stalled. I repositioned my router for a slightly higher signal strength, and started Netflix again. This time I was back up to my 10 Mbps. I do see the throughput varying between 1.5 and 9 Mbps. I will keep you all informed so that we can get the best from our players/and systems.

Thanks for the answer.

Bruce

try to change your DNS settings to the ones I detailed above. Since making that change, Netflix playback has been great. I still can't believe they added "SEARCH" after all this time. Night and day difference as a Netflix player with the new update.
post #105 of 804 Old 04-17-2011, 09:15 PM

Sony S580 recently purchased. Great DVD playback and Netflix streaming; superior image quality. in Hulu Plus, I'm wondering why TV shows take so long to load after an advertisement plays. On our MAC, there is no load time between the show and the ad; it's just a continuous stream. Is the break in the stream between the show and the ad a flaw in the S580 or is it a "feature" of HULU?
post #106 of 804 Old 04-17-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3ken View Post

Sony S580 recently purchased. Great DVD playback and Netflix streaming; superior image quality. in Hulu Plus, I'm wondering why TV shows take so long to load after an advertisement plays. On our MAC, there is no load time between the show and the ad; it's just a continuous stream. Is the break in the stream between the show and the ad a flaw in the S580 or is it a "feature" of HULU?

I am guessing that it is the lack of storage on the 580. I have both the 580 and a PS3; while the BD playback was noticeably better on the 580, the Hulu Plus show-ad-show playback is seamless on the PS3.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #107 of 804 Old 04-18-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellte2 View Post

try to change your DNS settings to the ones I detailed above. Since making that change, Netflix playback has been great. I still can't believe they added "SEARCH" after all this time. Night and day difference as a Netflix player with the new update.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did. Unfortunately it was not any better, possibly worse. My wife and daughter have been watching the big set, so I won't get any more testing completed for a while.

dslreports and vudu tell me I have 3.7Mbs down and 1.0 up, with my laptop, wirelessly.

But, the BX58 won't run the Vudu connection speed test. It returns a message about a network error.

I am going to run a long ethernet cable from the router to find out if the wireless connection really is the problem.

Later

Bruce
post #108 of 804 Old 04-18-2011, 08:15 AM

This question is specific to the BX58, but I would imagine it applies to the S580 also.

I plan to use an HDMI to component converter.

1) Can the BX58 be set to send 1080i out the HDMI port? My KP61 will not accept a 1080p signal.

If the BX58 can not be set to 1080i out from the HDMI port, then I believe I will need an HDFury3, which can be set to force the down conversion.

2) Any other converters that have the "chip" for the BDP to see, so that it does not reduce resolution below 1080i, other than an HDFury?

Thanks for your time, experience, and expertise.

Bruce
post #109 of 804 Old 04-18-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:

dslreports and vudu tell me I have 3.7Mbs down and 1.0 up, with my laptop, wirelessly.

But, the BX58 won't run the Vudu connection speed test. It returns a message about a network error.

Sony is definitely having problems on their end with their cloud services. I've never had any problems with my BD players, networking-wise, and all of a sudden I am now seeing random, but rare, 'cannot connect' messages using Comcast.

Folks: 3 Mbps, in general, will not be enough to enjoy streaming TV. If you use a network sniffer application and stream a movie from Netflix or Amazon, you will see very non-linear bandwidth activity. It's not a consistent stream of data - it's a burst and then a lag and then a burst and then a lag, etc.

The bursts, when streaming HD shows on Amazon, will exceed 10 Mbps. I called Amazon's tech support and they informed me that their version of 'HD' is encoded to a variable rate of about 2.5 Mbps. Vudu's HDX is 4.5 Mbps. However, the bursting/lagging pattern means that you need a lot more bandwidth to 'catch up' after the lags. Hence, buffering and pauses.

post #110 of 804 Old 04-18-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:

This question is specific to the BX58, but I would imagine it applies to the S580 also.

I plan to use an HDMI to component converter.

1) Can the BX58 be set to send 1080i out the HDMI port? My KP61 will not accept a 1080p signal.

If the BX58 can not be set to 1080i out from the HDMI port, then I believe I will need an HDFury3, which can be set to force the down conversion.

2) Any other converters that have the "chip" for the BDP to see, so that it does not reduce resolution below 1080i, other than an HDFury?

Thanks for your time, experience, and expertise.

Bruce

HDMI can output at 1080i.

Only component is capped at 480i due to the newly implemented digital standards.
post #111 of 804 Old 04-19-2011, 09:44 AM

Hey all,

List of components :

Sony Blu Ray BDP-S580
Sony dvd home theater HDX686W
Mitsubishi WD-73C10 TV

Here is the issue I am having. I have my cable box, 360, blu ray player, and dvd home theater all connected to my tv (via HDMI cable except for cable box). I then have a digital coax cable running from the TV to the home theater. Everything works fine and dandy until I switch the input to the Blu ray player. For some odd reason the audio never comes on and the only way I can get it to play audio is to restart my TV. I dont have this issue when switching to any other input, but when I switch to blu ray first, the only way I can get audio back to any input is to restart. This leads me to think that there is some kind of audio conversion mess up between the blu ray and the TV. I tried putting a dvd in the home theater when the sound died and that still works. My audio tech saviness doesnt go very far so I am searching for some help (before I go insane :P). If anyone can please help me out it would be greatly appreciated. If you need any info please let me know and I will respond ASAP! Thanks!
post #112 of 804 Old 04-19-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellte2 View Post

HDMI can output at 1080i.

Only component is capped at 480i due to the newly implemented digital standards.

Thanks Kellte.

When I press display, when playing a standard DVD or Blu-Ray, the upper right corner notes the 480i resolution.

However, with Blu-Ray the 480i res is being sent to the TV with either a 720p or 1080i carrier, because the TV locks into auto raster squeeze.

BTW - I solved my Netflix streaming problem. It was my wireless router. Once I replaced it with a Linksys E3000 I get 9.0+ Mbps from the VUDU test and Netflix streams just fine "WIRELESS"!

Bruce
post #113 of 804 Old 04-20-2011, 01:29 PM

So I picked up the 580 last night at Costco. I hooked it up to my 46 inch Toshiba TV via HDMI and wired it to my network. I started it and it wanted to update. So I let it. It restarted. I put in my first Blu-ray disc and it waited and waited and eventually I figured it was locked (15 minutes or so). I then had to unplug it and re plug it in. Started again and setup the networking, I have UVerse. I have my DNS at 192.168.1.254 and secondary at 0.0.0.0. I then went to Netflix and it connected fine. I then had to wIt while the kids watched the movie I had put on to test. So an hour plus later Netfix looks good and was smooth. I connected to my Synology NAS and found my videos. Some did not work, some did. Since I had encoded them at least 2 years ago I cannot complain. I then watched TRON Legacy until all hours of the morning. All in all it was pretty good. I will post more as I test file types and bitrates and such.

Rob
post #114 of 804 Old 04-23-2011, 01:43 PM

I got my S580 a few days ago from Amazon ($165 out the door) and I'm quite impressed. I'm a bit saddened the DLNA support lacks MP4 and MKV support ... odd. I tested a bunch of downloaded files off a USB thumb (NTFS formatted) and most files worked fine. (Results below)

I have a wired LAN connection so don't know about wireless signal quality. I'm using the Android App which makes typing a breeze.

You cannot connect a USB keyboard to it. The keyboards seems to initialize, caps lock/Numlock light up normally ... but you can't type anywhere. Player seems quite fast. I was using a PS3 before for BluRay and this seems faster.

Streaming stuff seems to work well for me. I have a 25mbps cable modem so I always get highest quality streams. I wish Youtube would use HD streams -- it always is stuck at the 480p or even 360p streams. Netflix works nicely and plays pretty quickly. Hulu Plus (test streams worked well) as did Amazon Prime streaming.

Wish interface was a little faster ... page up/down would be nice in some of the apps. I was never a huge fan of the XMB interface but hey -- it does work and is pretty simple. Web Browser is "cute" but pretty useless due to the slow speed. I logged into facebook (using my phone for text entry) and navigating was so slow. The mobile version would be a helluva lot better due to speed.... But it seems to render web pages quite well... surprising for a Bluray player.

24p DVD playback is nice. You have to have the output resolution set to Auto for this otherwise it will output at 480p/60.

I took some power consumption measurements. Basically it's pretty low power. I put my results on the this spreadsheet. (With some comparison info)

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CMeGndkP

Format compatibility from my testing off USB thumbdrive formatted NTFS:
  • WMV @ 720p though didn't support WMA 5.1 Pro audio ... (no surprise there)
  • MPEG2 Transport Stream (.TS) file -- this is what you get with a raw capture from OTA .. played the 1080i/DD5.1 streams
  • Standard high bitrate MPEG2 (some 1080i sample file I had)
  • 720p/50 MKV file (tested Madagascar BBC episode)
  • 480p AVI file (shameless episode, F1 the killer years, WRC Portugal)
  • 1080p MP4 file with AAC 2.0 audio (from youtube, tried several files)
  • 480p MP4 (one man and his camper van episode)
  • 720p AVI XVID with 5.1 audio (Torchwood Season 1)
  • 480p VOB files (MPEG2) From a DVD rip but doesn't handle menus like XBMC can from ripped discs

Not working: (Says corrupt or doesn't play and works perfectly on XBMC)
  • Killa.Sampla (Super high bitrate MKV file ... basically like 55mbps.. XBMC plays but VLC cannot)
  • F1 China BBC MKV file (1440x1080 resolution)
  • Ultra-high res MKV test file (2560x1500 -- XBMC plays but VLC cannot)
  • FLV files (not even visible in list)
  • Low bitrate and small resolution MP4 file (from youtube ... 360p I think)

Overall I love this unit, especially for the price.... And it works great with my Harmony unlike my PS3. (I wasn't going to fork over for that Bluetooth/IR adapter.)
post #115 of 804 Old 04-24-2011, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I like the player over all...picture.. sound...features...etc.........BUT....the remote is just way to small...........not long enough to be held comfortably in your hand.
Just do not like the remote!!!!
post #116 of 804 Old 04-24-2011, 02:13 PM

I'm not sure about all these settings in the menu but I do have one question: Do you guys just set it to output 1080P or auto? I know to each his own but I wonder what the overall feeling is.
post #117 of 804 Old 04-27-2011, 12:40 PM

Has anyone been able to access the 3D Menu to do 3D depth adjustments on the S580? I can't seem to be able to access it. In fact I can't even find it. All I can find is the 3d Output setting.
post #118 of 804 Old 04-28-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 57
it's an error... only the S780 has the option to convert 2D to 3D....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #119 of 804 Old 05-07-2011, 02:54 PM

Hello, I just bought the BDP-BX58 and when I turn it on I see in the top left of the tv screen: 480p SD 4:3

Does this sound right?
The TV I'm hooked up to with HDMI is a Sony Bravia 55HX800.
post #120 of 804 Old 05-10-2011, 10:48 AM

Hi all,

The 580 is great so far. Outstanding PQ, even for DVDs!

I have a problem though, when accessing my PC it only shows drve C and not the other internal drives - anyone know how to get them to show up? I have sharing turned on.

Thanks!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp Bx58 Blu Ray Disc Player 3d Built In Wireless , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Jvc Dla X70 Projector
Gear in this thread - S580 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page