Sony BDP-BX58 and BDP-S580 Owner's Thread-all questions/comments belong here - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 804 Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone feel that 5.1 audio will be added to Netflix on this player in a future firmware update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 804 Old 05-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Hey, has anyone used this for SACD? Are you actually able to output SACD audio via the digital coax, of do you need to use the analog audio outputs? I can't find this info anywhere.

Well, I read the manual. The sound from SACD can be pushed through HDMI or through PCM, which for this player is digital coax (good!).

I can't figure out if any data is lost through digital coax, some have suggested that it doesn't have enough bandwidth. Also unsure if my reciever could handle the full resolution of the SACD digitally either....
so confusing!
post #123 of 804 Old 05-13-2011, 09:14 AM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

Hey, has anyone used this for SACD? Are you actually able to output SACD audio via the digital coax, of do you need to use the analog audio outputs? I can't find this info anywhere.

Well, I read the manual. The sound from SACD can be pushed through HDMI or through PCM, which for this player is digital coax (good!).

I can't figure out if any data is lost through digital coax, some have suggested that it doesn't have enough bandwidth. Also unsure if my reciever could handle the full resolution of the SACD digitally either....
so confusing!

It depends on what you are connecting the BDP-S580 to, with respect to a receiver. If you want multi-channel playback, you *must* use HDMI.

If you want full resolution audio, you need to either use (a) HDMI or (b) analog out. SACD's copyright protection does not allow a player to transport full resolution audio via S/PDIF (coax or optical), even with 2-channel, so it will be converted to LPCM and down-sampled to ... I'm not sure what.

Just use HDMI and forget about it. If your receiver cannot directly decode DSD, set the BDP to output LPCM (frankly, my receiver *can* decode DSD, but I transport LPCM anyway, because this allows the receiver to apply sound processing and the already decoded LPCM allows my receiver to handle the extra work). See the Music settings in the manual.

If your receiver cannot accept HDMI input, then use the S/PDIF out and just live with the down sampled 2-channel audio (your receiver's DAC will be far better than what's built into the player and you likely won't hear the difference).

While you are at it, just playback the CD-layer of your hybrid disk. Again, you likely won't hear the difference. The real advantage of the SACDs is the attention paid to the mastering - the extra resolution is just extra gravy.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #124 of 804 Old 05-13-2011, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Does anyone know if Sony's latest firmware .263 fixed the forced internet connection for BD live issue they had previously disabled?
post #125 of 804 Old 05-21-2011, 03:31 AM

Liked: 10
Any rippers able to confirm some USB playback questions regarding MKV?

I use MakeMKV to make lossless backups of my DVD and Blu-ray collection, and currently play them back on a WD TV Live Hub. I use a HDD dock connected by USB and just put in the HDD I need for the file I need.

1. Does it play all codecs within the MKV container, including VC-1 (most Warner Bros titles are VC-1)?

2. Does it support/recognise PGS/SUP subtitles within the MKV container? If so, does it obey the Forced Subtitles flag for non-English speaking parts in predominantly English language movies (like The Godfather)?

3. Does it pass TrueHD and DTS HD-MA from the MKV to a receiver?

4. Can you select/scroll between subtitle and audio options contained within the MKV?

5. Does the UI allow you to attach a thumbnail for files (eg. File-Name.mkv displays File-Name.jpg as a thumbnail/cover if contained in the same folder)?

I have a Blu-ray player for discs, a WD TV Live Hub for ripped files and a Roku for Amazon/Netflix/Hulu Plus, and I'd really love to replace them with a unit that does the whole lot.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows, or is willing to test.

EDIT: Also, regarding the Netflix app update; it now allows search, but does it also allow browse or list recommendations?
post #126 of 804 Old 05-21-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbridges View Post

Any rippers able to confirm some USB playback questions regarding MKV?

1. Does it play all codecs within the MKV container, including VC-1 (most Warner Bros titles are VC-1)?

2. Does it support subtitles within the MKV container?

3. Does it pass TrueHD and DTS HD-MA from the MKV to a receiver?

4. Can you select/scroll between subtitle and audio options contained within the MKV?

5. Does the UI allow you to attach a thumbnail for files (eg. File-Name.mkv displays File-Name.jpg as a thumbnail/cover if contained in the same folder)?

My experience has been good with AVC lossless MKV videos with the BDP-S580. However, I have not been able to get VC-1 content to play back. For those, I convert to an AVC-based h.264 video at about 5Mbps with audio pass through and I am happy with the result.

I can't speak to subtitles - I've never tried any of the options you describe above.

I haven't tried HD audio pass through - I have it on my Todo list, however, to see if this works. Thumbnail images are ignored.

All of those small issues aside, the image quality is stunning (really), which is why I put up with its shortcomings that you describe above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbridges View Post

I have a Blu-ray player for discs, a WD TV Live Hub for ripped files and a Roku for Amazon/Netflix/Hulu Plus, and I'd really love to replace them with a unit that does the whole lot.

Let me ask you a question: does the WD TV do all of the things you are asking about? I've thought about getting one, but am concerned about the video quality from the device.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #127 of 804 Old 05-21-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Let me ask you a question: does the WD TV do all of the things you are asking about? I've thought about getting one, but am concerned about the video quality from the device.

The WD TV Live Hub is great, save for two flaws (in my opinion):

1. No PGS/SUP subtitle support for MKV (as of writing), though it is supported for M2TS.

2. No DTS HD-MA passthrough.

The first one is the real pain for me, because it means I'd have to extract subtitles and convert them to a different format. The second issue I can live with, because it does automatically extract the standard DTS track.

Video and Audio quality for rips made with MakeMKV is identical to the Blu-ray. Haven't experienced any buffering or stalls from lossless rips via USB drive or wireless network.

Netflix is fine on it, but I'm more happy with the Roku XDS for online streaming services.
post #128 of 804 Old 05-25-2011, 07:33 AM

I hope the forum can help. I am running the players sound through my Sony Bravia via hdmi. Everything sounds great, pandora, netflix, dvd's, UNTIL I run a BD through, then the voices are so quiet that I have to turn the volume way up and then background effects are super loud. That is in 5.1, any thoughts?
post #129 of 804 Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The dynamic range of Blu-Ray discs are a lot wider than the other formats... Soft passages are too soft and loud passages can be too much... it is not unusual.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #130 of 804 Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM

Liked: 11
Does anyone know if this plays back AVCHD from USB? A friend of mine has the Oppo BDP-93 and he's able to store his ripped Blu-ray's (ripped in direct folder format) to a USB HDD and play them on the Oppo, simply by putting the subdirectories of the blu-ray in a folder called "AVCHD". It works flawlessly and he's able to switch between blu-ray's without ever leaving the couch.

This is a great way to buy blu-ray's and then not worry about your kids/dog/drunken clumsiness scratching them.

Would someone mind confirming if this AVCHD trick works? I'd be happy to give you detailed instructions if you'd like.
post #131 of 804 Old 05-26-2011, 10:29 AM

Hello all,

I am having some of the same problems as some of the above posters. I "lucked" into this player at HH Gregg by exchanging a Samsung that had gone belly up. I love Blu-rays but got this player primarily for the network apps, mainly Pandora radio and Netflix. I have the option of using either wired or wireless connection.

My issues: basically Netflix wont work at all. Pandora is hit and miss Lots of "network" and "connection" messages. I have tried both "auto" and "custom" IP and DNS entry. My laptop / router is only giving me one IP address and one DNS. Where do I find these secondary numbers. I should mention that I am using an AT+T 2wire router. Much thanks for any help.
post #132 of 804 Old 05-28-2011, 06:44 AM

On Friday, CNET posted their review of the 580. Overall it received a very positive review from the testers at CNET. See below link for the full review:

CNET Review--Sony BDP-S580
post #133 of 804 Old 05-28-2011, 05:33 PM

Anyine figured out what settings to use to stream .mkv to this unit?
post #134 of 804 Old 05-30-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxx67 View Post
Anyine figured out what settings to use to stream .mkv to this unit?
You need to use the credit card setting and purchase a different player. The manual clearly states in the specification section that MKV containers are not playable via DLNA.

Sorry...

post #135 of 804 Old 06-01-2011, 08:10 AM

I have one of these Sony players - all is great with it. I have it in my family room (small, about 12x10), connected to a Bravia TV. All working great.
I would like to add a sound system but I don't know where to start, the room is not large enough to accommodate a home theater type thing, one of the Sony bars (ht ct150) will not work well with the room configuration as one needs to do all connections through the subwoofer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

elmanco
post #136 of 804 Old 06-01-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmanco View Post

I would like to add a sound system but I don't know where to start, the room is not large enough to accommodate a home theater type thing, one of the Sony bars (ht ct150) will not work well with the room configuration as one needs to do all connections through the subwoofer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

@elmanco - if you have ruled out a "home theater type thing" and the cheaper sound bars won't work for you because of the subwoofer connections, you are left with two choices:

1. A higher-end sound bar, such the well-reviewed Yamaha Digital Sound Projectors: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...und-projector/

2. Your TV speakers.

Option 1. will cost more than you likely spent for your panel and your spinner, combined. Option 2. is ready to go right now. Pop some popcorn, slide in a Blu-ray and forget about it.

post #137 of 804 Old 06-01-2011, 11:19 AM

Yes, I purchased the BX-58 from Costco on 5/17/11. I connected it to my Samsung 40" HDTV and played on DVD that I had purchased (Pavarotti in China). I managed to get the connection to the internet via my home router without using any manuals. I have owned the Sony S350 for over a year and thought this would be a nice improvement. However, the next 4 DVD's that I tried to play on the BX-58 fail as soon as the movie begins. I spent half a day trying to diagnose the problem and called Sony support. The final word I received was that it does not dupport DVD's that used "Dual Layer Format".

I have not played a Blu Ray DVD or a 3D DVD, but the lack of playing normal retail DVD's makes me an unhappy customer. I plan to take the BX-58 back to Costco.
post #138 of 804 Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmanco View Post

I have one of these Sony players - all is great with it. I have it in my family room (small, about 12x10), connected to a Bravia TV. All working great.
I would like to add a sound system but I don't know where to start, the room is not large enough to accommodate a home theater type thing, one of the Sony bars (ht ct150) will not work well with the room configuration as one needs to do all connections through the subwoofer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

elmanco

I have the new Sony sound bar HD-CT550W--has wireless sub; all connections to relatively small separate component on the shelf below display. The sound is good in my small room, although no sound bar will ever beat the seven speakers and sub in a dedicated home theater...

And I also can use Bravia Sync to control the TV, Blu-ray, and amp/speakers with one remote (if all HDMI connections).

The specs are on www.sonystyle.com.

Good luck.
post #139 of 804 Old 06-02-2011, 06:45 AM

Thank you for taking the time and for your suggestion, wise one, I did put in a movie, enjoyed it very much just with the TV speakers but will probably get something to start learning about sound.

elmanco.
post #140 of 804 Old 06-02-2011, 06:46 AM

Thank you so much for your suggestion, I will try the HD-CT550W to start learning. I am very much a novice regarding sound systems; I was too busy during too many years, late start.

elmanco
post #141 of 804 Old 06-03-2011, 05:21 PM

I got it playing .mkv h.264 with I believe dts audio(I will have to check that part again).
This is through serviio a linuxbox. both files are around 12gb. So you are wrong there.
Thanks anyways.
post #142 of 804 Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:

I got it playing .mkv h.264 with I believe dts audio(I will have to check that part again).
This is through serviio a linuxbox. both files are around 12gb. So you are wrong there.
Thanks anyways.

Hey, you are very welcomed! Transcoding is a thing of beauty, which is why this is working with high bit rate h.264 in an MKV container over a DLNA server. How's the audio? Getting dts pass-thru?

post #143 of 804 Old 06-03-2011, 06:55 PM

Transcoding is turned off. Im not sure about my audio how ill to double check. My machine cant handle transcoding anyways.
post #144 of 804 Old 06-07-2011, 01:33 AM

I'm was thinking of buying an s480/s580 until I read about the restrictions on files it will play from a NAS via DLNA (page 30 of the manual). I saw this firmware update which looks like it might add some functionality in this area. Does anyone know if it improves DLNA file support?

It says "DLNA DMR support Video, Music and Photo."

oops, newbie can't link to it.....

wwwsony.com.au/support/download/449014
post #145 of 804 Old 06-08-2011, 08:52 PM

Dts audio is all my file says. It is 5.1. So to recap mkv file h.264 with dts 5.1 plays through serviio with no transcoding. Double checked the transcoding.
post #146 of 804 Old 06-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 43
This is going to seem like a dumb question, probally is LOL!!

Does anyone know how to get rid of the black bars and the top and bottom of a movie so it is in Full screen?? I have a 64" TV so I can have a 64" screen, not have it cut-off with the black bars LOL!! Is it the bluray I am watching, is there something I can look for in the next one I get so this does not happen? I guess I can get used to it, but I just hate it!

My Blue-ray palyer is a Sony S580.

Klipsch RF82II Fronts & Wides
Klipsch RC64II Center
Klipsch RB61II Heights & Surrounds
2X Elemental design 15" subs W/ O-audio amps
Denon 4311ci
2X Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung D8000 64"
Denon 3313 UBD
Full GIK treatments

New theater under construction!
post #147 of 804 Old 06-11-2011, 12:47 AM

You should be able to change to fullscreen through your tv remote. Should say like zoom or picture on the button. Someone correct me if I am wrong but when you do that it lessens the quality a tiny bit.
Anyone else had luck with streaming mkv files to the bluray player with no transcoding?
post #148 of 804 Old 06-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

You should be able to change to fullscreen through your tv remote. Should say like zoom or picture on the button. Someone correct me if I am wrong but when you do that it lessens the quality a tiny bit.
Anyone else had luck with streaming mkv files to the bluray player with no transcoding?

I have it on "Just scan witch should be a full picture but I get black bars? I was watching "The Dark Night" and in some scenes it was a full screen, some where not. I tried wide fit and it lessened the black bars a bit but the where still there. Could it be that maybe the blueray is just formatted this way?

Klipsch RF82II Fronts & Wides
Klipsch RC64II Center
Klipsch RB61II Heights & Surrounds
2X Elemental design 15" subs W/ O-audio amps
Denon 4311ci
2X Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung D8000 64"
Denon 3313 UBD
Full GIK treatments

New theater under construction!
post #149 of 804 Old 06-11-2011, 07:34 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post

I have it on "Just scan witch should be a full picture but I get black bars? I was watching "The Dark Night" and in some scenes it was a full screen, some where not. I tried wide fit and it lessened the black bars a bit but the where still there. Could it be that maybe the blueray is just formatted this way?

You need to read up on OAR Original Aspect Ratio, the player is playing the disc as the director desired it to be displayed. Movies are not TV.
post #150 of 804 Old 06-11-2011, 01:32 PM

For anyone interest, the Sony outlet stores (like Woodbury Commons) have refurbished BX57s for $99.99.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp Bx58 Blu Ray Disc Player 3d Built In Wireless , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Jvc Dla X70 Projector
Gear in this thread - S580 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page