Sony BDP-BX58 and BDP-S580 Owner's Thread-all questions/comments belong here - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 804 Old 07-04-2011, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I have a Sony S580 Blu Ray player and a Nikon 5100 DSLR.
The camera produces HD Videos (720p) in AVI format.
The S580 sees those as an invalid format (so does my LG-BD570).
Looking through the Sony Doc I can't determine exactly what is invalid.
I have HandBrake and tried converting to MP4 (MK4 ?) files and still the Sony says they are invalid.
So can someone point me in the right direction as to how I can get these media files to play on the S580 (and BD570 if possible)?
Not sure how to start.
Thanks,
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 804 Old 07-04-2011, 02:37 PM

I have a big problem with the player s580. Update to latest firmware. Connected with HDMI 1.4a cable to the SONY str-dn2010 AVR. When i play a movie like star trek with TrueHD and i want my avr to decode it, i get a Dolby Digital 3/2.1 on my AVR screen. Why?
Also when i play a DTSHD movie i get PCM (48) on my AVR.
The same movies with the same set up with the same cables when i switch to PS3 as a source everything is ok. The PS3 send trueHD and DTSHD to the AVR, (also write it to the screen) and everything is ok. Any solution or the S580 don't support pass-thought HDMI ????

p.s. The BD mixing option to the player is set to off.
post #183 of 804 Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI_13 View Post
After looking at the review with lots for disappointment , I did some testing on my player and theater mode is not manipulating/limiting the levels or WTW details. If you want to calibrate the display or if you are video purist use theater mode. 4:4:0 or 4:4:4, RGB color spaces are showing the level details correctly in that mode. Other picture modes(ex: standard, bright room etc) are limiting the details.

I am not sure which picture mode the reviewer used , I left a comment at hometheaterhifi website for clarification on which mode they have used for review. Hope they will respond to it.
I'm 99% certain that we used Standard mode for testing, as we reset it to the default settings for testing. On the S570 using Theater mode still resulted in incorrect decoding, but when we do our next batch of tests, I will try to run the S570 through in all the picture modes to be certain of this. Regardless, it's my opinion that a player should not send out incorrectly decoded material by default and that preferences such as this should be done in the display.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #184 of 804 Old 07-05-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post
I'm 99% certain that we used Standard mode for testing, as we reset it to the default settings for testing. On the S570 using Theater mode still resulted in incorrect decoding, but when we do our next batch of tests, I will try to run the S570 through in all the picture modes to be certain of this. Regardless, it's my opinion that a player should not send out incorrectly decoded material by default and that preferences such as this should be done in the display.
Thank you for the prompt response. I 100% agree with you on the comment player should not send out incorrect decoded material. I wish I had seen the review before I made my purchase. Information provided in your review was really eye opening and thank you for putting efforts in bringing those details to public.

I hope Sony will at least attempt to fix it by firmware release.

Looking forward to read more reviews from you.

Regards.
post #185 of 804 Old 07-06-2011, 04:36 PM

Can anyone tell me what code to use to program the DirecTV remote to operate the BDP S580?

I tried all the codes on the screen and others found on the Directv site and none of them worked

Anubys
post #186 of 804 Old 07-10-2011, 03:39 PM

Hi everyone,

I just bought this player to repalce my "old" 550.
I watched a few DVDs without trouble.
Today I wanted to watch a BR disk and I noticed that the amp was only getting PCM signal when I chosed DTS-MA.
The 580 HDMI display setting is set to AUTO mode
The player is connected to my LX-81 amp via a HDMI switch (AAVARA PS122) wich is DTS-MA compatible.

DD, DTS etc work fine
But DTS-MA doesn't.

In the instructions guide, it says that "auto mode" outputs the signal based on the device connected. I tried to connect the player to the amp without going to the switch but it did not work. I tried to reduce the screen resolution to give the sound more bandwith but without results.
It looks like the player is automatically converting the DTS-MA in PCM.
Any idea?
Suggestion?
Thanks

It is better to burn out than to fade away
post #187 of 804 Old 07-11-2011, 05:49 AM

ppetros: did you find a solution to your sound format problem?

post #188 of 804 Old 07-11-2011, 06:59 AM

I'm new to blue -ray dvd's and this forum. I just bought the Sony BDP-BX58. When I try to play a DVD, I get tis message when I push the play button. "This operation is currently prohibited for this disk" . I have tried several standard bais store DVDs and they all result in this error message. I first had component video and HMDI connected to the Sonly TV, then I disconnected the componet, reconnected component video and disconnected the HMDI. Each combo resulted in the error mesage.
post #189 of 804 Old 07-11-2011, 08:50 AM

Found the answer:
The HD Audio (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, and DTS-HD Master Audio) is not output by bitstream.
Set [BD Audio MIX Setting] to [Off] in the [Audio Settings] setup (page 22).
Check that the connected AV amplifier (receiver) is compatible with each HD Audio format.

Maybe the firmware upgrade changed this setting ...

post #190 of 804 Old 07-11-2011, 03:44 PM

I'm new to blue-ray dvd's and this forum. I just bought the Sony BDP-BX58. When I try to play a DVD, I get this message when I push the play button. "This operation is currently prohibited for this disk". I have tried several standard store DVDs and they all result in this error message. I first had component video and HMDI connected to the Sony TV, then I disconected the component, reconnected component and disconnected HMDI. Each combo resulted in the error mesage.
post #191 of 804 Old 07-11-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
That usually happens when you try to skip past previews and other stuff the studio wants to force to watch. Are you saying you cannot play a movie when you get to the menu?
post #192 of 804 Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 PM

My Samsung blu-ray died tonight. Its gonna cost 100 to fix. I'm pretty fed up with it. I saw this on the costco website. I was wondering one thing about it.

Can i put avi files on a thumb drive and play them on my tv thru this blu ray player. I believe it is divx support that allows me to do this on my samsung. I need this feature. It was how i most often used the samsung and my replacement must be able to do this. Can anyone confirm this one way or the other for this player?
post #193 of 804 Old 07-11-2011, 11:21 PM

Just purchased the BDP-S580 and am trying to setup the wireless streaming. I have it hooked into the network, it sees my laptop and the network storage device. But when I navigate through the folder trees I keep getting "no playable files found" or "the file is corrupt or unsupported" errors.

I don't think it's a file format issue as the bluray player can't seem to 'see' ANY of myhundreds of pictures, song files or video files. Is there something I'm missing? The Bluray player IS part of the network (I run windows vista and I've set it to share files) and I can navigate through some folders

EDIT: What's really wierd is that the "files" that show up on the bluRay player are files I've deleted years ago and they no longer exist. Somehow the Bluray player seems to be loading up a history of previously played files/folders or something

EDIT 2: I made a new folder & shared it and I can play a video file that I dropped into it. But it doesn't recognize any previously shared folders. Is there a way to refresh it?
post #194 of 804 Old 07-12-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

That usually happens when you try to skip past previews and other stuff the studio wants to force to watch. Are you saying you cannot play a movie when you get to the menu?

I wait until it gets to the menu screen where you can select play or theother special option. I press the play button & I get the error message.
post #195 of 804 Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 PM

I'm really going to show my ignorance. Bought a BX38 at Costco a week ago but haven't opened the box yet. Should I be returning it and getting the BX58? I'm not finding much in way of help googling
post #196 of 804 Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 PM

Anybody tried streaming .m2ts files?

Try serviio as your dlna streamer. Sounds like your trying to run samba.
post #197 of 804 Old 07-13-2011, 04:51 PM

Okay new question

I've figured out how to setup WMP as a DNLA server for the Sony BluRay player. Everything seems to be working for the local files, but I can't seem to share any files that are an external harddrive.

Is this a WMP glitch? As far as I can tell, WMP should be able to play the files from the external harddrive, no?
post #198 of 804 Old 07-13-2011, 08:02 PM

Successfully play .m2ts files over serviio with no transcoding. Nice little blu-ray player
post #199 of 804 Old 07-16-2011, 12:41 PM

I just bought a new S580 last night. I hooked it up directly to my TV with an HDMI cable(just to try the Blue Ray Player I did not go through my AV receiver). When I turn on the TV and the Blue Ray Player the Sony Blue Ray Screen comes up on the TV for a minute or so, then the screen goes black, I can press play on the remote or on the player and see the counter advance, but no picture or sound. I know everything is set up and working because this HDMI cable was the one coming out of my AV receiver to the TV, and Directv works fine. It has to be something with the player. I can't get the setup menu for the player on the screen either. Anybody got any ideas.
post #200 of 804 Old 07-16-2011, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Interesting

Mitsubishi HC5500 Projector
Integra DTR-50.3 7.1 Receiver
Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
post #201 of 804 Old 07-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Not sure. Mine does the same thing. Takes about 30 seconds to come back. The picture quality is very good, though. Guess the 20 second wait time gives me a chance to grab a beer before it comes back haha.

Mitsubishi HC5500 Projector
Integra DTR-50.3 7.1 Receiver
Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
post #202 of 804 Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 AM

Has anyone used this player along with Disney WOW to calibrate their display? Will this unit stream Dolby 5.1 from a service like Vudu? I have an S480 (wired ethernet version) due to arrive.
post #203 of 804 Old 07-18-2011, 06:23 PM

Just bought BDP-580 to replace BDP-550. When trying to play Blu-ray disc get message down rez to 480i. I talked to Sony CS and after 2 hours admitted I will need to get a new TV or pre-pro that uses HDMI. It looks like I'm back to 1999 with 480i until I can upgrade.
post #204 of 804 Old 07-20-2011, 12:45 PM

Okay I just fired up my unit. The best part about it was the free streaming Michael Jackson videos, hahaha. Go Sony!!!
post #205 of 804 Old 07-29-2011, 04:20 PM

Anyone using this to stream from media server? If so what kind of files ate you streaming?
Any .m2ts files being used?
post #206 of 804 Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchBart View Post

I see Costco now has the Sony BDP-BX58 in stock(which is the Warehouse equivalent of upcoming Sony BDP-S580).

Anyone purchased on of these units yet? Comments or reviews?

Thanks.

Just purchased a BDP-BX58 at Costco in Kennesaw, GA (Atlanta) for $159. Will set it up this weekend. Bought a Panasonic DMP-BD215 a few weeks ago for $149 at same Costco (they have a full pallet of them left, and you can't find them anywhere, so you may want to jump on I-75, which is a few hundred yards from the front door, ZIP 30344).

It -- the 215 -- works flawlessly plugged into a Panasonic Viera LCD 42-inch via HDMI (didn't use the included cable, opted for ones with ferrite cores on them). I believe the only place to get Avatar Blu-Ray 3D is through a Panasonic purchase, so that's good for collector types (I only collect Disney DVDs and pins). I didn't go with a second Panasonic because the unit for the 55-inch Viera plasma will be in a tower, so the wave-your-hand-to-open feature of the Panasonic is useless there. So I went with the Sony BX58 (which may be available online at Costo for the $159 price tag BTW). It also has digital audio, ethernet, USB front/rear, composite, component AND HDMI, so it has more connectability. DLNA to connect to my Vaio laptop also is a huge plus. I need to component plug into a DVR and the HDMI to go to the TV and the digital audio to go to a Bose 321 GSX head. I may compare these two in the near future. The Panasonic 215 is exceptionally fun. You can open it with a handful of discs/cases with the motion sensor. The Netflix and Amazon Prime and YouTube wireless streams are flawless over ATT Uverse with the mid-range internet speed. It syncs perfectly with the Viera TV.

Both look cool. Both are quality Japanese lineage. Both are affordable at Costco in Atlanta, but haven't checked my main store in Clearwater, Fla. yet. Can't seem to get back down there....

I believe the Panasonic 215 was a store unique item in Kennesaw. The BX58 is available at many Costcos with a $20 instant rebate right now. Neither was available at a Costco in Hoover, Ala. last week. They are pushing a Sony and Panasonic that doesn't have built-in WIFI or 3D (not that I care about 3D).
post #207 of 804 Old 07-30-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I have the BX58 sitting in the box from Costco, but not sure if I want it. I have a PS3, but would like a standalone so the family does not abuse my console.

Edit: I plugged it in and ran it through a few apps. Connected to my Wi-Fi network without issues and found a system update which it DL'ed easy enough. BD playback was smooth and easy with Scott Pilgrim. Netflix app is nice, I like the added bitrate info. Vudu works just like the PS3, very slick. I could not get Amazon VOD to link to my account, I'll have to test it later. Pandora was surprisingly good, love the UI and screensaver mode. The Youtube app is very well done too.

So far the player has exceeded my expectations. Great unit for the price, hope my kids don't break it.

Edit 2: The remote app for Android works quite well, very nice extra.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #208 of 804 Old 07-30-2011, 04:50 PM

Noob here. I'm doing an upgrade with my system. My old receiver and DVD player were 2000 models. I just bought a new receiver and a new Blu-ray player. I'll be going to an HD television sometime in the next year. Money is an issue.

My TV is an RCA 27F554T and has no HDMI jack, obviously. The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-820 and the Blu-ray is a Sony BDP-S580.

I have everything hooked up correctly, I assume. The one thing I did was connect an HDMI cable from the Blu-ray to the receiver and I couldn't get video. I disconnected that and now I get video. I get sound on the TV but nothing on the receiver.

For the record, when I (mistakenly) hooked the HDMI from the BD to the receiver, I got sound but an error on the TV screen.

What did I do wrong? I'm assuming that it's one of my RCA jack settings.

Edit: I just went back to turn on the BD player to check audio settings. Now I get no picture at all even though when I shut it off the previous time, I had a picture and TV sound. What gives?
post #209 of 804 Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 AM

I just streamed an older HDX via Hulu last night and I can indeed confirm that this unit will stream Dolby 5.1. Amazing. The sound was flawless.
post #210 of 804 Old 08-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldtoo View Post

Is the adesso keyboard the only wireless keyboard to work? If so where did you pick one up at and how much? That would make navigating so much better. Thanks

I finally picked up an Open Box Sony BDP-S580 at a Best Buy. Since it was on sale, minus 10 % for Open Box, it was fairly reasonable. Anyway, I tried searching and the above is the only post I have found about wireless keyboards. Anyway, that interests me and I am now wondering if anybody else here has used any other wireless keyboards with this device?

I already had a Wii (Logitech) wireless keyboard that I bought some time back for the kid's Nintendo Wii. It seems to work just fine with the Sony BDP-S580.

I am also just wondering if anybody here has tried the Lenovo Multimedia Remote Keyboard N5901 PN 57Y6336 http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...&q=N5901+&ff=1

Also, I was reading that I need to add an optional USB jump drive for BD-Live content. I assume that it does not matter in the least what USB jump drive. Is a 1 GB big enough? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to using a larger one? Is the BD-Live content worthwhile?

On a related note. How well would this work out in the mobile environment? We have a Dodge Grand Caravan with built in screen and composite video input jacks. If I were to connect this and use say a Virgin Mobile MiFi, is it possible that this would work or is the demand of video on mobile internet so great that I would get lots of buffering? I think the MiFi is only able to do 3G and not 4G. In contrast, if this set up were used and I traveled from EVDO to a 1xRTT area, how would this behave? Would it simply quit working completely? Or would it play a while and then stop (buffering)?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp Bx58 Blu Ray Disc Player 3d Built In Wireless , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Jvc Dla X70 Projector
Gear in this thread - S580 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page