Samsung BD-D5700 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 98 Old 03-06-2011, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked this up from Best Buy yesterday, and was looking to see other people's opinions on the unit. Searching on AVS doesn't pull up any threads, just one post. Amazon doesn't even have any reviews.

I got this to replace a Samsung BD-P1500. That thing gave me a lot of grief when reading discs, and sounded like it was grinding up the discs instead of playing a movie.

The BD-D5700 is far better in that regard. The discs I was having trouble with played with no problems, so I'm already pleased. The SamsungApps haven't been used much, yet. I tried the Netflix app, and it seemed pretty slow to load. One movie skipped and stuttered badly, but another movie played fine. I have no idea the quality I was getting, maybe the Samsung doesn't display quality like the Roku does?

Unfortunately, I'm not available for the usually in-depth analysis AVS usually goes into. Hopefully, others can provide that info.

Anyway, does anyone else have it? Did I completely skip over another thread? What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 03-11-2011, 07:00 AM

First Post..........
I had my D5700 for a week. I was distraught when I saw the lack of any info on this device. Samsung hasn't even updated their website to include it in the products, but I was excited to explore this device.
It was my first Bluray, so I only had a couple of discs. It played the discs well enough, but I noticed that it made a lot of noise even just sitting idle. Like a harddrive was grinding away or something.

I liked the notion of WiFi built in. I was hoping to play some youtube vids for my daughter, so we didn't have to set her in front of the laptop. The WiFi on this thing was horribly choppy. I get 16-18Mbps on my laptops via WiFi, so I expected the same from the BD5700, but no go. It also gets very, very hot when running anything wifi. This device should have better ventilation.

Smart HUB is cool interface. Everything looks great! Media Player seemed to have problems, though.
Another big annoyance was the Input Interface. Flipping between alphas and numerics and symbols was huge pain when trying to enter usernames and passwords!!!!!! The button push delay on the remote also seemed a little longer than what I'm used to. In these days of trying to highly encrypt everything it seems that the folks at Samsung were not paying attention.

I traded in for an LG BD550, but I'll comeback and check this area for comments to see how people receive this player.
post #3 of 98 Old 03-20-2011, 12:55 PM

Anyone have an issue connecting to wifi? Can't get it connected with wpa, wep, or no security at all.
post #4 of 98 Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 AM

I just got this about 2 weeks ago and this is what I've noticed.

The picture quality is great on DVD, Blu Ray and DivX, that's all I've tried. The streaming from Vudu and Hulu are both is decent. The streaming picture quality is great, the reliability isn't as great. I get great speeds on Hulu from my laptop, but this will drop at times on this player. I've been tempted to use a wired cable to see if that makes a difference (If it does, I could just return it for the 5500).

I have my player fairly close to my router, no more than 5 feet away. It does play well enough, but there are problems. I've been able to watch a full movie on Vudu and several shows on Hulu without any problems, but when the drops do happen, it is quite a disappointment and makes me wonder, "Is this really better than standing in line at the movie store or waiting a day for my disk to arrive?"

I really wish there was a better way to input text for YouTube and entering passwords. However, since usually I only enter this once, it's not a big pain.

I was very impressed with the AllShare software, it works painlessly to view movies, pictures and listen to music from my laptop. I was surprised to find that WMV Lossless and AAC files were not supported.

One thing that is slightly frustrating is the speed of the interface, it seems slow as if there is a slight delay when I press a key.

An odd thing happened when I had my USB key attached to this, it dumped two core files (Is this thing running Linux?). I have since deleted them because they were around 250MB.

I am happy with my purchase, it is my first Blu Ray player, but a little let down with the streaming abilities of this player (May change after I try wired). But, it plays Blu Ray, DVD and DivX files with no problems that I've seen. I really hope many of the annoyances with this player can be worked out with a firmware update.
post #5 of 98 Old 03-31-2011, 07:04 PM

I got this as a second Blu-ray player, for playing dvds, and wireless streaming of Netflix. I had no issues with the Netflix interface, wifi, or picture quality. However, a widespread problem was the player simply hanging up, and having to be restarted numerous times. About 6 times in my 24 hour ownership. I also did not think the remote was very user friendly as others have noted. Seemed very cheap, poorly designed, and there was a delay. Another issue I notices while watching 'Red' on BD was that is seemed to skip a frame here or there. Happened about once every 10 minutes from what I could see. I had no issues with heat while the player was running, and it was a bit loud, but nothing too bad IMO. I ended up taking it back and getting a second PS3, knowing that my first continued to work great. All of the apps and online content could be great, but if you have to turn off the player and turn it back on that negates any positives.
post #6 of 98 Old 04-01-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike75 View Post

I got this as a second Blu-ray player, for playing dvds, and wireless streaming of Netflix. I had no issues with the Netflix interface, wifi, or picture quality. However, a widespread problem was the player simply hanging up, and having to be restarted numerous times. About 6 times in my 24 hour ownership. I also did not think the remote was very user friendly as others have noted. Seemed very cheap, poorly designed, and there was a delay. Another issue I notices while watching 'Red' on BD was that is seemed to skip a frame here or there. Happened about once every 10 minutes from what I could see. I had no issues with heat while the player was running, and it was a bit loud, but nothing too bad IMO. I ended up taking it back and getting a second PS3, knowing that my first continued to work great. All of the apps and online content could be great, but if you have to turn off the player and turn it back on that negates any positives.

Yes, those are all true. I have just started to return mine to Amazon. The support had me reset mine to factory settings, which is a pain to get all those back in through the remote. They also had me connect directly to my cable modem to verify the router wasn't causing a problem. None of these worked and they told me it sounded defective. I have a feeling it wasn't, but since I called three times, they just wanted something easier for me to do. No indication of a firmware update or anything, just take it back. So I am and I doubt I will get another Samsung. It's a shame because I really did like this player, did everything I wanted, just too slow, froze or required a power cycle too many times.
post #7 of 98 Old 04-10-2011, 08:43 AM

We picked one of these up from BestBuy yesterday.
Bluray's play fine.
Wirless connected with no problems.
*Netflix is a very pixelated compared with the Wii.
Both are connected to the same wireless router. I'll have to try using a wired connection to see if thats normal for the 5700.

What we really liked was the USB port.
We hooked up an external hard drive filled with mkv files.
Most played fine. Some did not play at all.
I'm putting some examples in case someone is interested. I wanted to know what it could play before I purchased but could not find it anywhere.
All my DVD's I converted with Handbrake x264 settings played fine.

This file played perfectly:
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Duration : 1h 58mn
Bit rate : 3 116 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 528 pixels
AC3 sound

This x264 also played perfectly:
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Muxing mode : Header stripping
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 1h 51mn
Bit rate : 4 988 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 528 pixels

This did not play at all:Bluray rip
x264
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 51mn 10s
Bit rate : 11.8 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels

This Bluray rip played but stuttered every 5 seconds:
Format : VC-1
Format profile : AP@L3
Codec ID : WVC1
Codec ID/Hint : Microsoft
Duration : 51mn 20s
Bit rate : 19.4 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
post #8 of 98 Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 AM
M1T

Hi Guys;
Just purchased the Samsung BD-D5700 from Best Buy in Canada.
It's a fairly new player, not much info. I've read most the forum reviews.
Ver informative, thank you, but I'm wondering if there's a way to change the Region Code to all region? I have a few DVD's that are from Europe.

I'd like to watch them with this player so that I can eliminate my DVD player (region free).

Thanks
post #9 of 98 Old 05-01-2011, 12:38 AM

Hi, all. Just got this box and I have to tell you: "do not pass go", Go directly to the app store and get the free samsung remote app.

What a difference! I went from wanting to throw the remote at the screen to really enjoying this box's Internet apps. The remote app is described as being for Samsung tvs, but it works for this blu ray too. It turns the iPhone into a networked remote that transforms the painfully slow process of entering input by the remote into a breeze through a keyboard on the phone.

I haven't even played a BRD in it yet, since I got it primarily for the wireless, a la YouTube. Will post more soon
post #10 of 98 Old 06-17-2011, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just picked this unit up on sale from FS. Got it because of the built in wifi, and Netflix. My p3600 is not Netflix capable in Canada. I have to say that navigating the internet with the remote was frustrating, but after downloading the Samsung remote app to my phone turned it into a breeze. I had some problems with Youtube, the videos kept freezing up. I suspect it is my internet connection. I tried some other streaming apps, and they worked great. Have to do some more testing. PQ when playing BD is excellent. Loads a bit faster than my p3600, but not much. PQ playing SD discs is sharper on the D5700 than my p3600, which which pleased me. So far, for the price, I am very happy with the purchase. A definite upgrade over the p3600.
post #11 of 98 Old 06-18-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Update. After surfing the hub and using Youtube and some of the other apps using my phone as a remote, the glitches somehow disappeared?... which leads me to believe it was a connection issue. One point I did notice when I powered up the unit, it did an update, which also may have contributed to fixing the problem. Anyways, happy to report that everything is working great, and am very pleased with this unit.
post #12 of 98 Old 06-28-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I am having problems streaming movies wirelessly from my computer to the D5700. I have the network running, and the Samsung hub works fine, as I can stream Youtube, Netflix etc. I can see my home network but when I try to access it, it says the Media can't access and the app closes. Any advice?
P.s I have downloaded the Samsung Allshare software to my computer.
post #13 of 98 Old 06-28-2011, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Bump...Anyone?
post #14 of 98 Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Picked a Samsung BD-D5700 up last Sunday as part of a package deal with a Samsung LN46D630 LCD TV. (The 5700 was a $50 upgrade from the normally included Blu-Ray player.) First Blu-Ray player and old TV wasn't 1080p, so nothing against which to compare it.

Played the one Blu-Ray disc and a couple test DVDs fine. Internet connectivity via WiFi (wireless-G with WPA-PSK) was a breeze. Internet access slow to start up, but otherwise seems "okay."

Only fly in the ointment, maybe, is that I noticed occasional "hitches" while watching streaming content from Netflix. Could be my wireless router, tho, because it's several years old and I'm getting only three bars, and that only barely, on the 5700. I've got a new wireless-N AP on-order, so we'll see.

Another thing: With the audio set to the default PCM I was getting quite a noticeable sync problem on dialog. This to a several-years-old Yamaha receiver via an optical connection from the player. Switched audio type to DTS and problem solved.

Jim
post #15 of 98 Old 06-30-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post

Picked a Samsung BD-D5700 up last Sunday as part of a package deal with a Samsung LN46D630 LCD TV. (The 5700 was a $50 upgrade from the normally included Blu-Ray player.) First Blu-Ray player and old TV wasn't 1080p, so nothing against which to compare it.

Played the one Blu-Ray disc and a couple test DVDs fine. Internet connectivity via WiFi (wireless-G with WPA-PSK) was a breeze. Internet access slow to start up, but otherwise seems "okay."

Only fly in the ointment, maybe, is that I noticed occasional "hitches" while watching streaming content from Netflix. Could be my wireless router, tho, because it's several years old and I'm getting only three bars, and that only barely, on the 5700. I've got a new wireless-N AP on-order, so we'll see.

Another thing: With the audio set to the default PCM I was getting quite a noticeable sync problem on dialog. This to a several-years-old Yamaha receiver via an optical connection from the player. Switched audio type to DTS and problem solved.

Jim

I have no problems at all streaming anymore. I did when I first set it up, but a firmware update(automatic) seemed to fix that problem. Streaming from my computer is another story though. Still haven't managed to get it up and running. Jim, I would suspect it is your modem and not the D5700 that is giving you streaming issues. I would also check your current firmware, to see if you are up to date.
post #16 of 98 Old 07-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 View Post

Jim, I would suspect it is your modem and not the D5700 that is giving you streaming issues. I would also check your current firmware, to see if you are up to date.

It's not any of my network gear. Played Season of the Witch on DVD the other night (Blu-Ray was all rented-out) and the same behaviour was observed, multiple times. As with the streaming content: Rewinding and re-playing the part where the issue occurred did not result in a repeat performance. The effect was observed a dozen times or so throughout the movie. The rewind-and-check-again test maybe 3-4 times.

The player also makes noises that sound very much like the head positioning mechanism seeking, and perhaps re-homing, you sometimes hear on a floppy disc or CD-ROM drive.

So today I'll take the player back to the store and exchange it for another. If that one exhibits the same behaviour, we'll look to upgrading to a higher-end Samsung. If that fails: Something else entirely.

Jim
post #17 of 98 Old 07-04-2011, 06:14 AM

I have a Samsung BD-D5700 (purchased about 5 weeks ago) connected to a Samsung LN-3241D TV via 2 foot HDMI cable. Plugged in a wired FIOS internet connection, upgraded the firmware and everything was running great (NetFlix and standard DVDs). Woke up this morning and found that the HDMI connection no longer displays video, although sound will come through on DVDs. I switched cables and ports on the TV with similar results (the FiOS HD Receiver works with either HDMI cables to either port on the TV). I then tried connecting composite video and audio cables from the D5700 to the TV and got the same results (i.e. audio but no video). Calling Samsung now and will post the results.
post #18 of 98 Old 07-05-2011, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Update...

Swapped the BD-D5700 two days ago. Played a Blu-Ray movie (The King's Speech) fine. Played a little >< bit of a movie off Netflix and that was fine. Played Independence Day on DVD last night and again experienced multiple glitches, video and audio, in the presentation--some of them quite pronounced.

I'll hook the old Sony DVD player up and re-watch Independence Day to make certain it's not the TV.

Jim
post #19 of 98 Old 07-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Last update (from me)...

Well, the DVD and TV were fine. So it was the BD-D5700 again. Took it back and switched to a Panasonic DMP-BD210. None of the problems I experienced with the Samsung players have yet appeared and the picture looks better to both my wife and I. Looks like better detail and richer colour. I thought I was imagining it, but, when I said something to my wife, she felt the same.

Jim
post #20 of 98 Old 07-05-2011, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Jim, sorry to hear about your bad luck with the D5700. I haven't had an issue yet with any of the discs I have thrown at it BD/DVD, to date it has played them all without glitches.

Today I finally fixed the issue I was having...not being able to stream from my computer to the D5700. After much troubleshooting I was left with one option, uninstalling/re-installing Allshare on my computer and then disconnecting/reconnecting the BD player from the network and PRESTO! Everything works now. Once up and running, it's very easy to work, but if you run into a glitch during installation, man it can be a pain!
post #21 of 98 Old 07-29-2011, 07:57 AM

Does this D5700 support External USB Hard drives?

I tried connecting a 2TB drive, selected USB in menu and says no drive detected?

Is there HD size limitations? or file system?
post #22 of 98 Old 07-30-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCLuvah View Post

Does this D5700 support External USB Hard drives?

I tried connecting a 2TB drive, selected USB in menu and says no drive detected?

Is there HD size limitations? or file system?

What file system is your drive formatted in? It only supports Fat16, Fat32, or NTFS
post #23 of 98 Old 07-30-2011, 07:14 PM

Liked: 12
I also have this player and have the issue of the youtube app graphics getting out of position on the screen,almost like a double exposure in a photo. The netflix app will also load the sound and not show a picture and the graphics will double up and be extremely small. Has anyone else had this issue? If I turn it off and back on it will work but I have to do it way too often.
post #24 of 98 Old 08-01-2011, 08:10 AM

Just picked this up last night at Walmart. So far so good with the one BluRay we watched. I noticed YouTube locked up even though the YouTube video was still playing. Had to restart the player but that was before I ran the software update on it. Will play around with it more after work tonight.
post #25 of 98 Old 08-04-2011, 08:32 PM

This has been driving me crazy. I have a wireless connection between my brand new 5700 and a NetGear WNDR3700 router, but the video streaming is still pretty choppy. I have tried a wired ethernet connection to the same router but keep getting error messages asking me to change the IP settings. Any ideas out there?

FWIW, I am also unable to connect to NetFlix, but all other Internet apps seem to work fine.
post #26 of 98 Old 08-06-2011, 08:26 AM

We have a Samsung LNC-46C650 TV and HW-C450 soundbar in our bedroom. The BD player is very nice, but the optical output seems to be always on: if the soundbar has auto power set, it stays on all the time. I see nothing in the manual or menus that would let me turn off the audio output when the player is off, but it seems odd to me that it would stay on?! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
post #27 of 98 Old 08-06-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akphs View Post
We have a Samsung LNC-46C650 TV and HW-C450 soundbar in our bedroom. The BD player is very nice, but the optical output seems to be always on: if the soundbar has auto power set, it stays on all the time. I see nothing in the manual or menus that would let me turn off the audio output when the player is off, but it seems odd to me that it would stay on?! Any ideas?
Well golly gee...after two weeks of ownership and many on/off cycles, I went into the player SETTINGS menu and tinkered; didn't really change anything of significance (timezone, stuff like that) -- and now the soundbar isn't getting woken up when the player is off. So "nevermind". Weird.
post #28 of 98 Old 08-28-2011, 03:19 PM

Liked: 12
Ater some issues with my Panny 110 I decided to try this Sammy and see which player I like best. I do not use a wireless connection. The 5700 has a few quirks in the setup process but the app selection is outstanding.
Pandora menu slightly better than the Panny 110 and much better than the Sony 380. The app for internet radio looks promising as well. Picture and sound quality was outstanding watching Lincoln Lawyer. I have only tried Netflix for a few short periods but so far so good.

At this point it looks like I'll be returning the Panasonic 110 and keeping the Samsung 5700.
T
post #29 of 98 Old 08-30-2011, 12:31 PM

I was thinking about purchasing one of these today, came back home to read some reviews. I like the features, seems like it has some good video codec support, but I dont like the "slow" and "laggy" comments on this thread. I also want the best quality I can get for Netflix.

For those that returned this unit, did you find a player that was better/made you happy? I have lots of local content, either via LAN and/or USB.
post #30 of 98 Old 09-03-2011, 08:09 PM

How big a USB drive can it take? Will it work with NTFS on 3Terabyte Seagates?

It doesn't seem to work with 3 terabytes formatted to NTFS

Anyone think it would work with 3 partitions in NTFS? (I know I could sit down and work all through that):

If it won't run Seagate NTFS does anyone know if it has to be formatted in FAT32 and if so, what's the largest productive size of a FAT32 partition.

any help much appreciated.
/g
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Blu Ray Player Bd D5700 , Blu Ray Players , Samsung Bd P1500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - P1500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page