AVS Forum banner
136K views 204 replies 110 participants last post by  ChrisMc73 
#1 ·
PLEASE NOTE, I am reffering to the new samsung BDD 6500, NOT the bdc 6500, my previous post was moved to the 6500 dbc, I am not referring to that model, As I said in my previous post, I had bought the panny 210, after using it for a week,I started having trouble with the tray not openning, also, I felt that the build quality was rather cheap and flimsy, so I returned it and bought the new samsung BDD 6500, I have found that the samsung seems a lot better in build quality, and the new loading system is much better then the tray system on other models, I found the pq quality excellent on both the panny and the samsung, also the up conversion, thanks

#77 ·
I have a new bd-d6500 connected to a 4-5 year old Marantz AVS and LG TV with 5mbs wireless DSL. The selections of CNBC Live, Pandora and Netflix play but sometimes with audio, most times not. Samsung and Netflix support has been unable to resolve. Netflix even said Samsung is not supported due to licensing issues. The 6500 is HDMI connected by a short cable to the Marantz AVS. I discovered that the cable had been badly twisted behind the equipment. On stratup, TV screen goes between gray noise and purble hue, many times before SmartHub screen appears, also with "popping" noises from the speakers.

Any ideas?

#78 ·
One fix for the audio problem has worked for several (assuming you have 5.1 or less sound--NOT 7.1). Go into the player's audio options/speaker settings. Set front, center, sub, & surround as appropriate, but be sure the rear surround setting is NONE (the graphic icon for those speakers will disappear or lose the blue color). Exit and try your streaming audio on Netflix. (Another fix for many was to open Pandora first, then back out and open Netflix to enable the Netflix audio, but your problem seemed to involve several of the apps with audio.

My question: I've solved all of the issues for my BD-D6500 players (like 'em so much I have 2) save one: when stopping a blu-ray disc, one press of the stop is supposed to memorize the place so it resumes when play is hit (2 presses of stop cancel the memory--this according to manual. However, the position is never remembered! My workaround is to place a bookmark before stopping (blue button). This is kind of a pain, takes some patience to get back to the film again. It should resume with one press of the play button. Is this a player issue & does anyone have a solution? Or could it be an issue with the way the blu-ray disc has been authored?

#79 ·
Hey there everyone. I am having some pretty unsettling issues with my player. I recently got the player and a few blu ray movies for Christmas, but I was having trouble when playing some of them. I managed to watch Xmen First class without any problems. However, when I watched green lantern every now and then the screen would tear. Next, I then watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and it would artifact in black and green at the top half of the screen at random.

Is my player bad and should I return it? Does it not have good support for these movies yet? Is there anything I can do in the settings or anything like that? I have it hooked up via HDMI to my samsung 7000 series LED TV and I also updated to the latest firmware. Any help is appreciated thank you.

Just to summarize:

-When I watched green lantern every now and then the screen would tear.

-I then watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and it would artifact in black and green at the top half of the screen at random.

-Have the latest firmware update

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme4brain /forum/post/0

Anyone having trouble playing "Cowboys and Aliens" BluRay despite latest firmware upgrade? As an additional unrelated problem, sometimes with all discs and fast forwarding, the picture will play but with no sound.

My cowboys and aliens played fine except at first when I had audio dropouts every few seconds. I turned the player off and on a few times and that seemed to do the trick.

I'm really not impressed with this player at all. The inlaws have an older, cheaper and inferior model and it don't have the playback issues I have.

#82 ·
I just got my Samsung BD-D6500 for christmas. I played AVATAR and had no problems what so ever. Beautiful picture, very vivid colors. When I played Cowboys and Aliens the movie froze 4-5 times while watching the movie. I took the disc back thinking there was a problem with it. Few days later, I was watching Wolfman and the disc froze 2 times. Both these Blu-Ray disc were brand new. Now After reading some of the comments here, there must be a problem with this model. I will probably go back to BB and return this and get the Panasonic DMP-BDT210.

#83 ·
I can play movies music from Bluray (the bd see all the networks available) allshare server or windows server, but cant start movies or music from allshare, blu-ray is not listed under shared device tab so i cant remote play items. Is that normal?

allshare find the blu-ray ip but doesn't list it as a shared media device. I also tried via windows 7 and dlna devices but they see the bd as "samsung bd rcr" in other peripheral but not as a media device. so i cant stream to the bd player.

ive try 2 different computers with firewall desactivated and it doenst work.

am i doing something wrong?

Thanx

#84 ·
I just pick up one of these yesterday. I bought it basically just to stream 3d vudu. I have a panasonic 110 which works great except it does not do vudu in 3d. LOng story short this does not stream nearly as good as my panny. I have it hard wired exactly like the panny. The panny streams vudu 1080 perfectly the samsung will not stream 1080 it keeps buffering i have to use 720. also when playing 3d blu rays it is jittery unlike thew smooth panasonic. Too bad because it really has great picture quality. Back to best buy now to return it.

#85 ·
Hi I just joined this forum to ask this question.

When playing MKV files with DTS from my HDD the sound dips out constantly probably for less than a second but its very annoying. Has anyone come accross this issue? Ive tried a few different files and they all do the same.

Thanks

Scott

#86 ·
Screen goes blank and audio sputters for me after the firmware upgrade ....

Anyone else have these issues? This is with virtually every non Bluray DVD .... Haven't had a chance with a Bluray though ...

I don't use the DVD player much so it's hard to pinpoint what's causing it.

#87 ·
Recently got a Samsung BD-D6500 bluray player. One major difference from my older JVC dvd player is that if I turn the power off in the middle of a movie or leave on pause and the the player autoshuts down, I have to restart the movie/disc from the beginning, going through all the previews, etc., most of which you cant bypass.

On my older player I liked that you could just turn the player off in the middle of the movie, and go back the next day and boot up and the movie started right where you left off.

Is that possible with the BD-D6500?

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme4brain /forum/post/21431789

Anyone having trouble playing "Cowboys and Aliens" BluRay despite latest firmware upgrade? As an additional unrelated problem, sometimes with all discs and fast forwarding, the picture will play but with no sound.

I played Cowboys and Aliens last night and there were no problems with audio or video.

#89 ·
Ya i watched last night with no problems the 2main blu rays i have problems with is "life" and " human planet" on this blu ray player

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by santz76 /forum/post/0

Ya i watched last night with no problems the 2main blu rays i have problems with is "life" and " human planet" on this blu ray player

Same issues brand new discs but when playing, audio skips and sometimes pic but mostly its audio cutting in and out ps3 plays them fine!

#91 ·
I am in the market for a 2nd blu-ray player. One thing I would like to have is the ability to accept a 50Hz signal and send 60Hz to the TV (I would like to pick up a UK blu-ray disk that isn't available as a US version). I have read that this player can read 50Hz disks. Have any owners tried this with a typical US TV that only accepts 60Hz input?

#93 ·
This thing is a piece of junk.

I just got one brand new today, hooked it up, powered on, completed the initial setup, connected to my WiFi, immediately upgraded to the latest firmware, rebooted, and went to the Smart Hub to begin checking out the Apps. So far so good, right?

All of them cut\\hang\\skip\\etc for any streaming video. The only one I was able to watch anything successfully on (read: without interruption) was AOLHD. Every single other app was unwatchable. I'm talking 3-5 seconds of video, 3-5 seconds of pausing\\buffering, repeat ad nauseum. It never got better or improved in the slightest. I even had 3 or 4 apps lock the system up entirely! Rebooted, re-applied firmware, deleted and re-downloaded apps... none of it helped. What made it worse is that the Netflix app won't even connect, it claims I am "not connected to the internet". Nevermind, that I can launch another app and enjoy 3-5 seconds of glorious streaming video.

For comparison, this replaced a LG BD570 that I moved to the kids playroom. That LG streamed hours and hours of content over the same WiFi, sitting in the same place, connected to the same TV. Never had a significant problem with it, and certainly never anything close to this constant skipping issue.

Anyone know of a Samsung Blu-ray player with built-in WiFi and Smart Hub apps that actually works? They are the only blu-ray players with the Vimeo app, so I'm kind of stuck with them. Though if they all perform this bad, I will just buy a cheap Roku and get another LG or Panasonic player.

#95 ·
I recently tried "Human Planet" on my new Samsung 6500 and had the same problem with the audio. Every few minutes the audio goes silent. I tried changing cables, audio settings and new versions of the movie(returned the first one). Nothing worked. I also upgraded the firmware to the latest. Still nothing. Any hints other than buying a new player?

#96 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuggs /forum/post/0

I recently tried "Human Planet" on my new Samsung 6500 and had the same problem with the audio. Every few minutes the audio goes silent. I tried changing cables, audio settings and new versions of the movie(returned the first one). Nothing worked. I also upgraded the firmware to the latest. Still nothing. Any hints other than buying a new player?

I have the same issue with same blu ray, i have contacted samsung a few months back they said it would be fixed in future firmware updates. Now on second update since speaking with them, and still have issues this blu ray and "life" !!!!

#98 ·
Hi Folk's,

I am new to this group so hopefully I dont tread on any etiquette toes. Anyway, I found this group and thread because I was having the same trouble with my recently purchased BDD 6500 and have just fixed the problem.

I too had the machine flickering and then either freezing, jamming the screen or just bouncing the HT reciever offline so you had no audio. I was going to take it back to Harvey Normans (I am from Australia) as DOA but thought it reminded me of when I used to repair computers; when the video cards would start to pack it in, they would behave the same way because they were sending the wrong voltage (or inadequate voltage) downline and it would either cause flicker, weird lines or just flicker and then the monitor would go blank.

Long story short I rang the supplier instead of Samsung, don't know about you guy's in the USA but over here Samsung support are bloody morons, anyway the bloke at Harvey Normans said that it could be a feature called "Anynet". This feature sends voltage signals down the line to tell your reciever or Samsung TV what to do, such as turning your TV on automatically when you turn on your player etc. I thought this made perfect sense as my Anthem reciever wouldn't know what do with the signal and this may cause it to freak out.

I switched off Anynet and it now works perfectly. Samsung ships these players with Anynet turned on by default, which strikes me absolutely stupid, I just wonder how many units these twits have had returned as faulty that just had incompatabilities with Anynet because not everyone in the world owns a Samsung screen.

Anyway, go: Settings / System / Anynet+ / 'on/off' and select off.

This should solve most of the problems you guys have highlighted here.

Best of luck,

Dale

BTW, in case it matters, my BDD 6500 player goes to an Anthem MRX300 as preamp to NAD amps and a Panasonic VT54a Viera plasma.

#99 ·
i recently bought this blu ray player after my panasonic 3d player stopped working right after 13 months of being in the home i got to say it is very user friendly as well as easy to navigate now having my old panasonic 3d blu-ray player matched with my panasoniic 3d display i thought was a good combo

but i can not believe the difference this player makes the colors it reproduces is amazing and when you put in 2d movies and it tries to convert them to 3d wow

it really gives more perception of being in a actual theater i am so impressed with this product. and now that i can split my signal to my integra dtr 9.9 receiver and hear all the high def sound codecs when watching my 3d blu rays

was a bonus too since i did not want to replace it with a hdmi 1.4 receiver.

here is what i noticed the only thing changed in my current hook up same cables same speakers same receiver and tv only the blu-ray player removed and replaced. with this bad boy is that having the hdmi cable only sending a audio signal to the receiver and the other dedicated to the tv.

it thumps a lot better than my panasonic 3d blu ray players as well is there is greater seperation in all three front channels watching the same content as i did before buying this model so i am wondering if it is the player or is it because it is only the audio signal being sent thru is why i am getting better audio threw the cable maybe both signals being streamed threw a hdmi cable is not a good thing.

eather way i am never going back to a single hdmi blu ray player

#100 ·
I wonder if disabling Anynet will improve WiFi perfomance... I spoke to soon with my previous update, I am still having piss-poor streaming performance over WiFi. I have even had the unit lock up completely and require a manual power cycle. My LG BD570 that sat in the same spot and used the same wireless never had an issue. Ugh..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.