Owner's thread for the Samsung BD-D6500. All questions and comments go here - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 204 Old 01-27-2012, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the market for a 2nd blu-ray player. One thing I would like to have is the ability to accept a 50Hz signal and send 60Hz to the TV (I would like to pick up a UK blu-ray disk that isn't available as a US version). I have read that this player can read 50Hz disks. Have any owners tried this with a typical US TV that only accepts 60Hz input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 204 Old 01-29-2012, 02:14 PM

The latest firmware has added CINAVIA anti-piracy protection for DLNA playback...
post #93 of 204 Old 01-29-2012, 05:49 PM

Liked: 12
This thing is a piece of junk.

I just got one brand new today, hooked it up, powered on, completed the initial setup, connected to my WiFi, immediately upgraded to the latest firmware, rebooted, and went to the Smart Hub to begin checking out the Apps. So far so good, right?

All of them cut\\hang\\skip\\etc for any streaming video. The only one I was able to watch anything successfully on (read: without interruption) was AOLHD. Every single other app was unwatchable. I'm talking 3-5 seconds of video, 3-5 seconds of pausing\\buffering, repeat ad nauseum. It never got better or improved in the slightest. I even had 3 or 4 apps lock the system up entirely! Rebooted, re-applied firmware, deleted and re-downloaded apps... none of it helped. What made it worse is that the Netflix app won't even connect, it claims I am "not connected to the internet". Nevermind, that I can launch another app and enjoy 3-5 seconds of glorious streaming video.

For comparison, this replaced a LG BD570 that I moved to the kids playroom. That LG streamed hours and hours of content over the same WiFi, sitting in the same place, connected to the same TV. Never had a significant problem with it, and certainly never anything close to this constant skipping issue.

Anyone know of a Samsung Blu-ray player with built-in WiFi and Smart Hub apps that actually works? They are the only blu-ray players with the Vimeo app, so I'm kind of stuck with them. Though if they all perform this bad, I will just buy a cheap Roku and get another LG or Panasonic player.
post #94 of 204 Old 01-29-2012, 08:37 PM

So, I did a factory reset and did NOT upgrade the firmware... and I've been playing Vimeo, Netflix, etc without issue. I cant explain it, but so far it seems to behave as it should. I hope this lasts. The Vimeo app is amazing!
post #95 of 204 Old 01-31-2012, 03:26 PM

I recently tried "Human Planet" on my new Samsung 6500 and had the same problem with the audio. Every few minutes the audio goes silent. I tried changing cables, audio settings and new versions of the movie(returned the first one). Nothing worked. I also upgraded the firmware to the latest. Still nothing. Any hints other than buying a new player?
post #96 of 204 Old 02-02-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuggs View Post

I recently tried "Human Planet" on my new Samsung 6500 and had the same problem with the audio. Every few minutes the audio goes silent. I tried changing cables, audio settings and new versions of the movie(returned the first one). Nothing worked. I also upgraded the firmware to the latest. Still nothing. Any hints other than buying a new player?

I have the same issue with same blu ray, i have contacted samsung a few months back they said it would be fixed in future firmware updates. Now on second update since speaking with them, and still have issues this blu ray and "life" !!!!
post #97 of 204 Old 02-03-2012, 05:16 AM

Does anyone know if this player will playback media from network shared directories using CIFS/SMB?
post #98 of 204 Old 02-05-2012, 05:23 AM

Hi Folk's,

I am new to this group so hopefully I dont tread on any etiquette toes. Anyway, I found this group and thread because I was having the same trouble with my recently purchased BDD 6500 and have just fixed the problem.

I too had the machine flickering and then either freezing, jamming the screen or just bouncing the HT reciever offline so you had no audio. I was going to take it back to Harvey Normans (I am from Australia) as DOA but thought it reminded me of when I used to repair computers; when the video cards would start to pack it in, they would behave the same way because they were sending the wrong voltage (or inadequate voltage) downline and it would either cause flicker, weird lines or just flicker and then the monitor would go blank.

Long story short I rang the supplier instead of Samsung, don't know about you guy's in the USA but over here Samsung support are bloody morons, anyway the bloke at Harvey Normans said that it could be a feature called "Anynet". This feature sends voltage signals down the line to tell your reciever or Samsung TV what to do, such as turning your TV on automatically when you turn on your player etc. I thought this made perfect sense as my Anthem reciever wouldn't know what do with the signal and this may cause it to freak out.

I switched off Anynet and it now works perfectly. Samsung ships these players with Anynet turned on by default, which strikes me absolutely stupid, I just wonder how many units these twits have had returned as faulty that just had incompatabilities with Anynet because not everyone in the world owns a Samsung screen.

Anyway, go: Settings / System / Anynet+ / 'on/off' and select off.

This should solve most of the problems you guys have highlighted here.

Best of luck,
Dale

BTW, in case it matters, my BDD 6500 player goes to an Anthem MRX300 as preamp to NAD amps and a Panasonic VT54a Viera plasma.
post #99 of 204 Old 02-06-2012, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
i recently bought this blu ray player after my panasonic 3d player stopped working right after 13 months of being in the home i got to say it is very user friendly as well as easy to navigate now having my old panasonic 3d blu-ray player matched with my panasoniic 3d display i thought was a good combo

but i can not believe the difference this player makes the colors it reproduces is amazing and when you put in 2d movies and it tries to convert them to 3d wow
it really gives more perception of being in a actual theater i am so impressed with this product. and now that i can split my signal to my integra dtr 9.9 receiver and hear all the high def sound codecs when watching my 3d blu rays
was a bonus too since i did not want to replace it with a hdmi 1.4 receiver.

here is what i noticed the only thing changed in my current hook up same cables same speakers same receiver and tv only the blu-ray player removed and replaced. with this bad boy is that having the hdmi cable only sending a audio signal to the receiver and the other dedicated to the tv.

it thumps a lot better than my panasonic 3d blu ray players as well is there is greater seperation in all three front channels watching the same content as i did before buying this model so i am wondering if it is the player or is it because it is only the audio signal being sent thru is why i am getting better audio threw the cable maybe both signals being streamed threw a hdmi cable is not a good thing.
eather way i am never going back to a single hdmi blu ray player
post #100 of 204 Old 02-06-2012, 09:48 AM

I wonder if disabling Anynet will improve WiFi perfomance... I spoke to soon with my previous update, I am still having piss-poor streaming performance over WiFi. I have even had the unit lock up completely and require a manual power cycle. My LG BD570 that sat in the same spot and used the same wireless never had an issue. Ugh..
post #101 of 204 Old 02-06-2012, 03:11 PM
U-2

Funny thing - I did not have any problems with Netflix up till the last firmware upgrade. Now it is 'buffering' every other minute. And this buffer is pretty big - after I turned my router off, the playback continued for quite a while.
post #102 of 204 Old 02-07-2012, 02:53 AM

I have a brand new bdd6500 and have been trying to get a handset to work to make it region free to play DVD's.(not to play blu-ray discs - JUST DVD's) All of the 'hacks' I have read involve pressing the REPEAT button followed by 57538, then waiting to see the number '2' appear on-screen, then pressing '9' for region free. I have tried this numerous times but nothing changes it to region free. I have the latest firmware installed on the 6500 and someone has suggested that it is due to this latest firware update that the region free hack isn't working. The software version is 2012/01/17_001022.
if this is the case, does anyone knowWHICH software version I should have installed to enable the handset hack to work and if it is indeed possible to downalod that particular software version from anywhere?
Any suggestions would be greatly received. Many thanks. Steve
post #103 of 204 Old 02-07-2012, 05:49 AM

Disabled Anynet on the player, and there was no noticeable difference. Watching an episode of Parenthood last night (43 minutes), and it rebuffered at least 5 times. Tried to watch a second episode and it rebuffered 4 times in the first 90 seconds (didnt even get to the opening credits)!

This thing is garbage. I am returning it tonight.
post #104 of 204 Old 02-07-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Disabled Anynet on the player, and there was no noticeable difference. Watching an episode of Parenthood last night (43 minutes), and it rebuffered at least 5 times. Tried to watch a second episode and it rebuffered 4 times in the first 90 seconds (didnt even get to the opening credits)!

This thing is garbage. I am returning it tonight.

I'm having the same exact issue. In fact, even on the same program. I've also been trying to stream Parenthood and it keeps buffering. I almost never had this problem before the update.

Does anyone know if there's a way to un-do the last update and bring it back to the previous version?
post #105 of 204 Old 02-07-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary50 View Post

I'm having the same exact issue. In fact, even on the same program. I've also been trying to stream Parenthood and it keeps buffering. I almost never had this problem before the update.

Does anyone know if there's a way to un-do the last update and bring it back to the previous version?

I believe you press stop on the front bezel for 10 seconds until it reboots. Something like that.

I just ran a test... Streaming over wifi to my d6500, lg bd570, and Wii back to back. The d6500 stuttered constantly and the other two devices don't even stutter once.16 times in one episode!!!
post #106 of 204 Old 02-08-2012, 05:51 PM

I tried disabling Anynet to see if that would fix the Human Planet problem. No luck. Guess I need to wait for Samsung to fix it. If they don't fix it soon, it might be time to go Oppo.
post #107 of 204 Old 02-08-2012, 06:32 PM

Just swapped for another 6500... Here's hoping...
post #108 of 204 Old 02-08-2012, 10:36 PM
U-2

Just replaced the wifi connection with Ethernet and Netflix did not have a buffering issue.
It looks like the wifi implementation is very weak on this player.
post #109 of 204 Old 02-09-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-2 View Post

Just replaced the wifi connection with Ethernet and Netflix did not have a buffering issue.
It looks like the wifi implementation is very weak on this player.

First of all, ethernet offers much better speed over WIFI. Second, there's a lot a data coming down the pipe, when talking about video. If it's HD video, it's even more data. Do you have other devices connected to the internet via WIFI that are pushing the same about of data? If so, are they experiencing the same thing? If you do and they aren't, then it points to your player. Otherwise, it's probably something else that's the bottleneck.
post #110 of 204 Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 AM

I swapped my 6500 for a new one last night. Connected to WIFI and tested out the streaming apps in the Smart Hub. This one is noticeably better... even the remote commands are more responsive. Loading the Smart Hub takes a couple seconds, whereas the last one would take 20-30 seconds to load up. Streaming apps connect and load almost instantly. Streaming video plays almost instantly. Not a single stutter or rebuffer (so far).

Basically, it appears my previous 6500 was a huge lemon. Fingers crossed!
post #111 of 204 Old 02-09-2012, 01:31 PM
U-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by petaylor View Post

First of all, ethernet offers much better speed over WIFI. Second, there's a lot a data coming down the pipe, when talking about video. If it's HD video, it's even more data. Do you have other devices connected to the internet via WIFI that are pushing the same about of data? If so, are they experiencing the same thing? If you do and they aren't, then it points to your player. Otherwise, it's probably something else that's the bottleneck.

I have 300mbps router sitting next to the BD-D6500 and PS3.
Netflix on PS3 works fine. May be, the internal antenna inside the metallic case of BD-D6500 was not a good idea.
post #112 of 204 Old 02-09-2012, 09:11 PM

FWIW, this new 6500 that is working well is on firmware 1017. The one I had that was a POS came with firmware 1018 (upgrading it to 1022 made it even worse). I don't think I'll be upgrading this new one anytime soon.
post #113 of 204 Old 02-10-2012, 02:41 PM

Think I got a bad one and it's going back. Watching blu rays and picture "jumps" or "skips" a frame or two every so often. It's not the discs as they never did this in my ps3. Is this a common problem?
post #114 of 204 Old 02-11-2012, 07:05 AM

returned mine on wednesday for a refund...replaced it with a pioneer bdp-lx55,much better picture and problem free so far.

my samsung also had the picture frame skip problem as in one of my previous posts and the post above,phone calls to samsung and 3 players later and it was still doing the same,an engineer from the place i bought it from blamed my xbox360 on the shelf underneath it as it was too close to it .

just had enough of it and replaced it,phone calls were of no help as all they could suggest to do was try another unit or send for testing which i did with the 2 previous models which they found faulty but came back with the same problem when all set up, but never mind, all happy now with my new player and still happy with my samsung display so all is not lost for this manufacturer with me.
post #115 of 204 Old 02-11-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markt38 View Post

returned mine on wednesday for a refund...replaced it with a pioneer bdp-lx55,much better picture and problem free so far.

my samsung also had the picture frame skip problem as in one of my previous posts and the post above,phone calls to samsung and 3 players later and it was still doing the same,an engineer from the place i bought it from blamed my xbox360 on the shelf underneath it as it was too close to it .

just had enough of it and replaced it,phone calls were of no help as all they could suggest to do was try another unit or send for testing which i did with the 2 previous models which they found faulty but came back with the same problem when all set up, but never mind, all happy now with my new player and still happy with my samsung display so all is not lost for this manufacturer with me.

Wow, good to hear this. I really like the styling of the player and buttonless front. But if it can't play discs properly guess its not worth it. I have a Sammy tv too. Will. Heck out that pioneer in my search for a new player.
post #116 of 204 Old 02-11-2012, 10:09 AM

yeah its a great looking player and a lot of features too just no good having all the bells and whistles if it isnt doing its main job what it was designed to do .

i think you will like the pioneer if you get to have a demo/ test when you get to see one..nice looks and build quality too, only gripe up to now is the remote sensor isnt too clever at picking up the remote as it in the glass cabinet whereas the samsung was ok...but hey..beggars cant be choosers
post #117 of 204 Old 02-12-2012, 02:00 AM

Sorry to hear most of you guy's are still having trouble. I kept having the sound drop out during AVI's (about every 5 minutes) but the recent firmware upgrade #1023 (from memory - as I did the upgrade last night) seems to have fixed it. My suggestion would be to try this as well. It also seems to have fixed the painfully slow remote control lag, well to some degree anyway.

All in all I would be reticent to ever buy Samsung again and as I said to a friend today, given all the problems I have had don't go near them for a while, they obviously have quality control issues and in-house problems like that don't fix themselves overnight.

Also, living in Australia means you really need a machine that is not region locked, this was one of my prime reasons for buying Samsung as there were a lot of instructions on-line for making it region free. Since some have said the firmware upgrades removed this ability it's fast becoming a completely useless machine. A good reason to start downloading pirated movies! Or buy a Toshiba or Oppo.
post #118 of 204 Old 02-21-2012, 12:06 PM

Hi,
I'd like to have a question for you. I have this Samsung BD D6500 and i can't believe that this player doesn't handle subtitles embedded with mkv files. It's ridicoulus. As i can see this player can handle only one subtitle with the exact same name of the movie. Two or more ones impossible to see. Is there any option to see more than one subtitle with a movie with this player? Thanks for any help if it exists.
post #119 of 204 Old 02-24-2012, 04:21 AM

I also had problems playing certain avi's and mkv's. For avi DivFix++ worked 95% of the time when the audio would drop out regularly. It's needed also when you don't have the "jump" option in "Tools."

As far as mkv I've had problems with recent releases of tbbt by dimension. Considering they go non standard with 8 refs 720p for some shows I was not surprised that their encode managed to lock my Sammy. None of the normal demux/mux tricks worked.

No bluray play/audio problems.

Also regarding playing a bluray for the last point watched; ever since I connected a USB drive and allowed its use for BD data I've been asked if I want to continue from that point.
post #120 of 204 Old 02-25-2012, 02:09 PM

Has anyone been able to stream pictures from a media server while listening to music from the media server at the same time. I could have sworn I got this to work at one time.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Bd D6500 Za D6500 Serivce Blue Ray Disc Player 3d Stereo , Blu Ray Players , Philips , Samsung Refurbished Blu Ray Disc Player Bd C6800 B
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page