Owner's thread for the Samsung BD-D6500. All questions and comments go here - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 204 Old 03-01-2012, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, the second unit began exhibiting the same wireless streaming performance issues so I returned it to Fry's for a full refund. I had even tried the new 1023 firmware first, but not luck.

Ended up purchasing an open box Roku 2 XD for $75 and so far I love it. Amazon, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Crackle, Pandora, and most importantly.. Vimeo! Wireless performance so far is great and I hope it continues that way. I don't need Blu\\DVD playback in the bedroom I guess, so I'm happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 204 Old 03-05-2012, 01:50 PM
U-2

Liked: 10
Switching to the wired connection did not help me with Netflix. PS3 works great, but Samsung is buffering several times in hour. If not for the app available only on Samsung that allows me to watch some Russian TV channels, I would never keep it.
post #123 of 204 Old 03-06-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Robgarcia, how are you splitting the HDMI? This model only has one output, at least mine does! I'd love to send its audio to my non-3D-compliant receiver.

Aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes
post #124 of 204 Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-2 View Post

Switching to the wired connection did not help me with Netflix. PS3 works great, but Samsung is buffering several times in hour. If not for the app available only on Samsung that allows me to watch some Russian TV channels, I would never keep it.

I called Samsung about the constant buffering. After calling and getting absolutely nowhere for about a month, on my fourth phone call to them, I finally spoke with someone who said they were aware of the problem. They told me that the latest software update had something in it with a Netflix 3.1 upgrade and that was causing the problem. They told me to call Netflix since the updates are done in conjunction with that company.

I then spoke to a manager at Netflix who confirmed that they are aware of the problem and that all Samsung blue-ray players and TV's that updated recently were having the problem. He told me there will be a new software update on Saturday, March 10th that should fix the problem. Of course I'm very skeptical that this issue will be resolved then, but we'll see.

I do advise anyone who is having this issue to contact both Samsung and Netflix as reps from both companies told me that these issues are resolved quicker when they get a lot of complaints. They both told me that the reason it took them a month after my first phone call for them to even acknowledge there was a problem was because they just didn't have enough people complaining about the issue so it wasn't considered a priority and therefore not on their radar.

So the good news is at least both Samsung and Netflix acknowledge the problem and the rep at Netflix said there will be a fix on Saturday. I guess we'll find out then if the issue is finally resolved.
post #125 of 204 Old 03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary50 View Post

I called Samsung about the constant buffering. After calling and getting absolutely nowhere for about a month, on my fourth phone call to them, I finally spoke with someone who said they were aware of the problem. They told me that the latest software update had something in it with a Netflix 3.1 upgrade and that was causing the problem. They told me to call Netflix since the updates are done in conjunction with that company.

I then spoke to a manager at Netflix who confirmed that they are aware of the problem and that all Samsung blue-ray players and TV’s that updated recently were having the problem. He told me there will be a new software update on Saturday, March 10th that should fix the problem. Of course I’m very skeptical that this issue will be resolved then, but we’ll see.

I do advise anyone who is having this issue to contact both Samsung and Netflix as reps from both companies told me that these issues are resolved quicker when they get a lot of complaints. They both told me that the reason it took them a month after my first phone call for them to even acknowledge there was a problem was because they just didn’t have enough people complaining about the issue so it wasn’t considered a priority and therefore not on their radar.

So the good news is at least both Samsung and Netflix acknowledge the problem and the rep at Netflix said there will be a fix on Saturday. I guess we’ll find out then if the issue is finally resolved.

Obviously Samsung didn't make the 3/10 date. Firmware version 1023 (1/27/12) is still shown as the latest upgrade. Anyone have any updated info on a release date?

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

post #126 of 204 Old 03-12-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision Power View Post

I just picked up a BD-6500. Hopefully I'll have time to watch a movie this weekend. I played with the smart hub and DLNA for a few minutes.

Only complaint so far:

Pandora is painfully slow. There is a ~7 second delay between songs. I have a WD Live TV Hub, and Pandora is instant on it.

Can someone tell me what the trick is to get Pandora working? When I first went into Pandora via the Smart Hub, it gives me an access code which I am supposed to enter into any browser. (I had already set up an account on my desktop computer). But when I go into Pandora, it tells me to log in via the settings menu. What and where is the settings menu that's referring to?

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

post #127 of 204 Old 03-16-2012, 06:39 PM

Below are steps that may solve the rebuffering issue.
I tried this. The LOGIC: There may be some programs in the SmartHub that are affecting Netflix & more. By doing this RESET, it gets rid of the offending programs upon restart.

When I did this procedure, I still had an issue, but the more I used Netflix the less rebuffering. Finally I am now able to watch entire programs without a hiccup.

BUT, ocassionally it STILL hangs when first getting on Netflix. Then I must power down, but then it works OK again.

ALSO, if you are getting flutter on some BluRays, then you need to UNPLUG your unit for 60sec and then go back to your disc.

This IS a hassle, but for now it is a work around. SAMSUNG DOES NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THEY HAVE A PROBLEM. This is their solution to YOUR problem.

Good luck, Classico

HERE ARE THE STEPS THAT WORKED FOR ME--AS FAR AS IT GOES

Perform the steps mentioned below to reset the player:
Shane: 1) With no disc in the player press and hold the Stop button on the front of your Blu-ray player for about 8 seconds or until the front display reads SETUP'. 'Resetting all settings to default values is displayed on your TV screen as the Blu-ray player powers off and resets.
Shane: 2) The Blu-ray player is automatically powered on after the reset and the select Language screen is displayed.
Shane: 3) Please ensure no disc inside the player and disc tray should be open while holding 'Stop' button.
post #128 of 204 Old 03-17-2012, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

So let me get this straight! One poster says that Samsung & Netflicks does acknowledge the buffering problem & now another poster says Samsung does not acknowledge the problem. Is that about the jest of it?

Ken

post #129 of 204 Old 03-18-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post

So let me get this straight! One poster says that Samsung & Netflicks does acknowledge the buffering problem & now another poster says Samsung does not acknowledge the problem. Is that about the jest of it?

Ken

Here is how my (in small part) conversation went with Samsung.

Classico

Shane: I'm sorry to know about that. let me help you with the issue.
Shane: Are you able to access other apps fine?
Visitor: I have noticed in online chats that this is a KNOWN issue.
Visitor: The other app stall or will not load
Visitor: It was said that Samsung would have a fix by 3-10
Shane: I'm sorry; there are no reported issues with this model player. However, we can fix this issue by performing few steps.
Shane: Let's try resetting the player to fix the issue. Access the apps once you're done with resetting.
post #130 of 204 Old 03-19-2012, 06:44 AM

I have been having the same issue with mine. Buffering alot in Netflix. Sometimes I get an error message that I can't connect to netflix at all. Its very annoying and very random. My player is hard wired to my router, so it is not a wireless issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary50 View Post

I then spoke to a manager at Netflix who confirmed that they are aware of the problem and that all Samsung blue-ray players and TV's that updated recently were having the problem. He told me there will be a new software update on Saturday, March 10th that should fix the problem. Of course I'm very skeptical that this issue will be resolved then, but we'll see.

I do advise anyone who is having this issue to contact both Samsung and Netflix as reps from both companies told me that these issues are resolved quicker when they get a lot of complaints. They both told me that the reason it took them a month after my first phone call for them to even acknowledge there was a problem was because they just didn't have enough people complaining about the issue so it wasn't considered a priority and therefore not on their radar.

So the good news is at least both Samsung and Netflix acknowledge the problem and the rep at Netflix said there will be a fix on Saturday. I guess we'll find out then if the issue is finally resolved.

post #131 of 204 Old 03-19-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post

Ken

Several Samsung reps confirmed to me that they were aware of the issue. Netflix reps also said they were aware of the issue. One of them even gave me a date of the supposed software update to fix the problem, but of course that update never happened. When I called back Netflix to ask why it had not occurred, the rep said that she was able to confirm the problem but had no information about any update and had no idea where the other rep got that information from.

So this is one of those very frustrating things. I do strongly urge ANYONE who is having this problem to call Samsung and inquire about it as the more calls they get on an issue, the more quickly they are likely to act on it. If you are sittiing in silence with this problem, you are not helping to resolve it. Please call them.

It is truly amazing how something which should be so simple has to become such a problem. They tell me they are aware of the problem. Now they need to fix it!
post #132 of 204 Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico View Post

Below are steps that may solve the rebuffering issue.
I tried this. The LOGIC: There may be some programs in the SmartHub that are affecting Netflix & more. By doing this RESET, it gets rid of the offending programs upon restart.

When I did this procedure, I still had an issue, but the more I used Netflix the less rebuffering. Finally I am now able to watch entire programs without a hiccup.

BUT, ocassionally it STILL hangs when first getting on Netflix. Then I must power down, but then it works OK again.

ALSO, if you are getting flutter on some BluRays, then you need to UNPLUG your unit for 60sec and then go back to your disc.

This IS a hassle, but for now it is a work around. SAMSUNG DOES NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THEY HAVE A PROBLEM. This is their solution to YOUR problem.

Good luck, Classico

HERE ARE THE STEPS THAT WORKED FOR ME--AS FAR AS IT GOES

Perform the steps mentioned below to reset the player:
Shane: 1) With no disc in the player press and hold the Stop button on the front of your Blu-ray player for about 8 seconds or until the front display reads SETUP'. 'Resetting all settings to default values is displayed on your TV screen as the Blu-ray player powers off and resets.
Shane: 2) The Blu-ray player is automatically powered on after the reset and the select Language screen is displayed.
Shane: 3) Please ensure no disc inside the player and disc tray should be open while holding 'Stop' button.

I tried the "reset" thing and it doesn't work. You can't backdate after you've updated the software. The only fix for this problem is a new update to fix the old problem.
post #133 of 204 Old 03-19-2012, 03:30 PM

30 Min ago update f/w to 1024.1 hoping it would solve the rebuffer issue--instead AFTER doing the update Netflix and all other internet video sources have NO PICTURE.

If you haven't done it yet--DO NOT UPDATE F/W

Spoke to Mark--they are aware of the issue. May take 24-48 hours to fix.

I am completely baffled how they could put out a f/w update and NOT thoroughly test it. This is nothing short of bumbling incompetence.

I understand from Mark that the 6500 is not the only model affected.

How much more can they mess up?

UPDATE:

Well after NOT being able to use Netflix I now find out that I cannot use many of my Blu-rays. They freeze up now--all thanks to to
Samsung's latest 1024.1 update. Star Wars, MIB, Avatar, Chronicles Narnia - DawnTreader etc. This is a real bummer. I do have a backup which I will NOT update with f/w.
Classico
post #134 of 204 Old 03-21-2012, 11:50 AM

I have the same issue of green screen after I update to this firmware:

D6500ZA-1024.1

Wish I could have seen this post before I updated my bluray. No clue when it is going to be fixed.

post #135 of 204 Old 03-23-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnaxal View Post

I have the same issue of green screen after I update to this firmware:

D6500ZA-1024.1

Wish I could have seen this post before I updated my bluray. No clue when it is going to be fixed.

I have the same issue with the Blue/Green screen when playing streaming video from files hosted on my server via DNLA or from Smart Hub apps such as Vudu.

I have discovered a work around for DNLA content. When you start playing the video hit the "Tools" remote button and change the Fullscreen mode to something else and then change it back to your default. That should bring the video back. Unfortunately this option is not available in Vudu. I contacted Samsung tech support and they stated:

Quote:
Kristy: Please note that Samsung has released a new firmware for solving the issue.
Kristy: Please upgrade the firmware on the player using a USB drive.
Kristy: Please click the link below for downloading the firmware file.

The file is the 1023 firmware on the support page. I find it interesting they pulled the 1024 firmware from the web. Later on in the chat I ask the rep to confirm that this issue was a direct result of a firmware upgrade. This time she changed her statement:

Quote:
Kristy: I am sorry, as of now we do not have any reported issues with the latest firmware.

BULL!!

My Blu Ray player does not recognize that firmware when I plug-in my USB stick. I'm guessing it could be a security feature not to be able to downgrade to an old firmware.

I should note that I am connected to my TV via component video (large old tv...yes it seems silly but I only wanted a device for Vudu and DNLA). I don't know if maybe this update attempted to disable content going on over component as apposed to "secure" connections such as HDMI.
post #136 of 204 Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 AM

Well I have a small (19") HD (720p) TV that Verizon sent me when I signed up for FiOS. I tried connecting the BD-D6500 with firmware 1024 to see if the green/blue band across the screen goes away due to security restrictions against component video.

I can confirm that the bands are still there during DNLA playback and VUDU, CinemaNow and Samsung's Media Hub streaming. I ensured that the component plug was not connected when the Blu Ray player powered on to protect against any detection on start. I threw Media Hub in there as a control group. I figured Samsung would test it's own app. In previous firmware updates apps such as Vudu have been broken before but never to this level in my experience.

Thus I would call this a bug even if it was created to protect against pirating.
post #137 of 204 Old 03-23-2012, 12:44 PM

I believe this entire debacle by Samsung is SCANDALOUS. I was promised a call back by Mark for 10-11 am on Wednesday to update this issue. I am STILL waiting for that call.

BTW I have sometimes been able to get a picture to show up on Netflix by unplugging my unit, with NO disc inside and waiting several minutes. By doing that I can sometimes get a picture. 1024 was supposed to be the update that solves the rebuffering issue--it doesn't.

I can play standard def TV shows with no rebuffering, but with HD shows my unit cannot go 4 minutes without stopping. But then again, the unit more often than not, STILL hangs up on the Netflix menu screen and I must turn the unit off and start all over again.

SHAME ON SAMSUNG'S incompetence. And don't forget the issue with the inability to play some movies which was solved with 1023 and mucked up again with 1024. Now the menus on Avatar are like molassas & when it does start, the movie loses sound and picture as it stutters along. Same with at least 4 other movies listed on my previous post.

Classico
post #138 of 204 Old 03-23-2012, 05:26 PM

This really is a scandal. The 1024 release gives you a teal blue screen and audio. You can't downgrade firmware, reset the unit and depending on what numskull you talk to at Samsung they confirm or deny the problem. The last guy I talked to said it is an issue and they should release new firmware next week.

The only reason I bought this was so I could stream an internet radio station out of Milwaukee, watch Netflix and use the MLB.tv.

Can anyone recommend a different blu ray player that can do all this?

I don't see why Samsung doesn't put 1023 as 1024_2 and just give us back the buffering issue.
post #139 of 204 Old 03-23-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ychawla View Post

This really is a scandal. The 1024 release gives you a teal blue screen and audio. You can't downgrade firmware, reset the unit and depending on what numskull you talk to at Samsung they confirm or deny the problem. The last guy I talked to said it is an issue and they should release new firmware next week.

The only reason I bought this was so I could stream an internet radio station out of Milwaukee, watch Netflix and use the MLB.tv.

Can anyone recommend a different blu ray player that can do all this?

I don't see why Samsung doesn't put 1023 as 1024_2 and just give us back the buffering issue.

Sony has a player (Costco in Calif. has it for $ 110) that does everything the Samsung does (and more, it has Amazon Prime Video). It is the Model BDP-BX58. It is SOLD OUT online, but the stores in SoCal have it. If you are near one check it out in your area.

Classico
post #140 of 204 Old 03-24-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico View Post

... it has Amazon Prime Video...

Does Amazon have 720p or 1080p streaming like Vudu?
post #141 of 204 Old 03-25-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnights View Post

Does Amazon have 720p or 1080p streaming like Vudu?

So far it appears Amazon has 720p.

Classico
post #142 of 204 Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 AM

After trying many options with my Samsung, with no success playing the "Human Planet" Blu-Ray, I bought an Oppo-95. The same discs worked fine on the Oppo that failed on the Samsung.
post #143 of 204 Old 03-25-2012, 11:09 AM

Firmware 1025 is up:

< BD-D6500 Firmware > This Firmware update provides the following benefits:Ver.1025.1 Mar.24.2012 - Improved apps compatibility..

I have no faith...
post #144 of 204 Old 03-25-2012, 11:15 AM

Holy crap they got rid of the blue/green/teal/aqua screens in DNLA and Vudu works again ...
post #145 of 204 Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 PM

So here I sit. Looking at the rebuffering screen on netflix. It won't let me watch the last two minutes of my show.. Just terrible. I have everything hard wired. Tv, computer, wii, cellphone all stream netflix fine.. This player is pretty much junk.
post #146 of 204 Old 03-26-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHDigital View Post

So here I sit. Looking at the rebuffering screen on netflix. It won't let me watch the last two minutes of my show.. Just terrible. I have everything hard wired. Tv, computer, wii, cellphone all stream netflix fine.. This player is pretty much junk.

Is this AFTER the newest update? (which I have not done yet)

When it was working update 1023 (at least for BD) is was a decent player. Netflix seems to be the problem then and now. I hope they have fixed the issues with the movies that stopped working with 1024.1.

Classico
post #147 of 204 Old 03-26-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnights View Post

Firmware 1025 is up:

< BD-D6500 Firmware > This Firmware update provides the following benefits:Ver.1025.1 Mar.24.2012 - Improved apps compatibility..

I have no faith...

Have NOT seen 1025 either online or on the player as of 3/26

Classico
post #148 of 204 Old 03-26-2012, 04:05 PM

This is with 1025 update. Every update since I bought this player has had buffering issues. I've owned this since November. I'm wondering what difference (other than the hdmi & hard drive) between this player and the e6500. I have plenty of bandwidth, I shouldn't be having this issue.
post #149 of 204 Old 04-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

I am not able to play Netflix at all for the last 8 weeks. It connects to Netflix and when it attempts to play a title there is a message from Netflix that says:

We are having difficulty playing this title right now. Please try another title or try again later.

This happens on every title all the time. All other apps work correctly. I've tried everything. It is not my network and the same thing happens on other networks.

Does Netflix work fine with the latest firmware for other people?

thanks.
post #150 of 204 Old 04-04-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post

I am not able to play Netflix at all for the last 8 weeks. It connects to Netflix and when it attempts to play a title there is a message from Netflix that says:

We are having difficulty playing this title right now. Please try another title or try again later.

This happens on every title all the time. All other apps work correctly. I've tried everything. It is not my network and the same thing happens on other networks.

Does Netflix work fine with the latest firmware for other people?

thanks.

The latest firmware 001025 has not helped the problem of streaming Netflix. I'm still having the same exact problem that started two weeks ago. I either get the same message that you're getting or it just keeps rebuffering. Ususally it connects and keeps rebuffering.

What's really disgraceful is that Samsung does not even seem to be acknowledging the problem anymore. At least they had previously told me they were aware of the issue and were working on it. When I called them yesterday, the rep gave me the old reset your device line again. They always say that when they they think it's the problem is with your blu-ray player instead of a wider issue with the update. This is infuriating. I also called Netflix yesterday and the rep told me they were aware of the problem but were under the impression it was fixed as they haven't been receiving calls on it recently. He said they were receiving lots of calls until about two weeks ago. So they assumed the problem was resolved. Of course he told me to call Samsung as it's their app that is causing the problem. I agree with him. Ultimately, Samsung is responsible for their own apps. But of course talking to them is like talking to a wall. We seem to have regressed on this issue. Two updates since the issue occurred and neither one of them fixed the problem.

Is there anyone out there who is able to connect to Netflix with the 6500 blu-ray? I assume this answer is no. If that's the case, again I implore everyone to call Samsung as they simply will not even attempt to fix the problem unless they get a lot of calls complaining about it. At least two reps basically told me that.

As a side note, I posted about the problem on the Samsung website and the post was quickly deleted. So it seems they are making a concerted effort to keep this problem from being known to the public.

Shameful job by Samsung in every respect.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Bd D6500 Za D6500 Serivce Blue Ray Disc Player 3d Stereo , Blu Ray Players , Philips , Samsung Refurbished Blu Ray Disc Player Bd C6800 B
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page