Owner's thread for the Samsung BD-D6500. All questions and comments go here - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 204 Old 03-10-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
PLEASE NOTE, I am reffering to the new samsung BDD 6500, NOT the bdc 6500, my previous post was moved to the 6500 dbc, I am not referring to that model, As I said in my previous post, I had bought the panny 210, after using it for a week,I started having trouble with the tray not openning, also, I felt that the build quality was rather cheap and flimsy, so I returned it and bought the new samsung BDD 6500, I have found that the samsung seems a lot better in build quality, and the new loading system is much better then the tray system on other models, I found the pq quality excellent on both the panny and the samsung, also the up conversion, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 204 Old 03-18-2011, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too am considering this model. It has Smart TV but the specs don't mention whether it also includes a full web browser like the PDP/LED TVs that have Smart TV.

Can you confirm if it has a full browser?

"If God dwells inside us, like some people say, I sure hope He likes enchiladas, because that's what He's getting!" -Handey
post #3 of 204 Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 AM

I just bought this player. My main reason was my existing Philips player was so
slow with Blue Ray I would fall a sleep waiting. I also wanted to be able to stream
from my PC to the player.

This does play a BlueRay movie much faster than the Philips. I do not own or have
owned any of the previous Samsung players so I can't offer a comparison.

I did read about earlier samsung players being slow another reason going with
this brand new model.
The player has smart hub. It also allows apps to be installed which so far
other than youtube are all pay for even through they say free.
I have not determined if this player will let me surf the web in a browser
so I could go to a site that might have video. From what I have seen so far
that feature has not jumped out at me yet.

I have not tried out the wifi. I am connected via ethernet but from friends who have
wireless players they all seem to have problems hanging/stopping with services like Netflix.

The rep at BestBuy gave me the impression I could surf to websites with this
player to watch videos. I took that as any site I wanted but so far it appears
only if it's preloaded, like Netflix, Hulu etc, all pay for sites.

If anyone has any tricks or hidden features please state them as I would like
to know everything I can do with this unit.

Ken
post #4 of 204 Old 03-22-2011, 11:09 AM

Liked: 17
Just bought this player yesterday. Won't talk about PQ yet, except its very sharp, sharper than last years 6800. Is this a good trend? Need to evaluate it further.

The sound quality of HDMI was exceptional. There is a good trend of components (reducing spurious emissions and) requiring less power conditioning to sound their best.

Bottom center of player gets warm. Don't think it loads super fast as claimed.

But the main question is many places on the web are advertising 2D-3D upconversion, as in turning 2D discs into 3D!

"Enjoy 3D Blu-ray titles and all their immersive glory; upconvert 2D Blu-ray titles to 3D and watch all of your favorite 2D titles with an added dimension of enjoyment."
In your dreams?

Amazon is a bit cagier:
" Enjoy 3D entertainment in your living room or upconvert regular 2D programming to 3D quality"
What the he** does this mean?

I don't care about Internet connectivity as I don't want to depend upon an H/W manufacture to access the Internet. I don't care about DLNA servers and transcoding as the simplest and best route is to mount the network drive it get it directly. Instead i use my (ht)pc.

After buying the BDD-6500 i think the 2D to 3D feature is a false claim. No Internet firmware updates either. This is why I paid MSRP locally so i can easily return it.
post #5 of 204 Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 AM

This Samsung page (and only this one) indicates that only the 6700 and 7500 offer the 2D to 3D conversion feature:
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/blu-ray-dvd
post #6 of 204 Old 03-22-2011, 01:09 PM

Is the 802.11n only 2.4GHz or is it dual band capable?
post #7 of 204 Old 03-23-2011, 05:46 AM

Great news! The BD-D6500 removes the redundant controls for brightness, color and contrast. Now consumers are guaranteed to send the pristine picture to their TV (well they still need to disable the other redundant video processing in their expensive analog receivers). Compare this to more expensive players which still include this questionable feature. Why not use the TV controls to adjust picture parameters? In this way, when something doesn't look right, you know the one place to go and adjust.

The 6500 image quality is superior to last years models, just as can be similarly stated for this years Samsung HDTVs. I compared it against the BD-C6800 and my htpc. The grey scaling was remarkable consistent (whites, black and everything in-between) between the three players. The 6500 was the most natural sharp, the htpc ATI 6850 video card was close behind and last years 6800 was still a bit softer yet, even with its sharpness set to three. The 6500 picture is very clean and smooth, even luxurious when played back on my CR Best Buy Mitsubishi 4000. How much closer to perfection can we go? Computer animations films do not look rolled off in the high frequencies at all. In fact they look about as sharp as this text. This player has reached the full potential of 1920*1080p resolution. (How long will it be before I have to eat these words?)
Using my ALL-digital Samsung 700 HDMI 1.4 seven 120w channel receiver, the 6500 generated a class leading clearer atmosphere, with great weight for voices in the center channel. The ATI video card (with HDMI audio built-in) was a bit livelier with a touch brashness. Last years 6800 placed third with reduced air and clarity.

So am I going to keep the 6500? Well I do have multiple systems but I don't want to appear too neurotic and end up with a room full of last years components.
I initially thought the 6500 had 2D Blu-ray to 3D conversion of discs, but it doesn't. As I also own the Panasonic 65" VT25 plasma with the best 3D quality, I've already ordered the Samsung BD-D6700. How great can greater get? All decisions are on hold until I compare the 6700 against the 6500.

Internet Access
Guys, I upgrade my home theater gear for improved performance, and convenience, not Internet access. My home Gigabit Ethernet network can stream media files up to 900mb/s! I recently upgraded to Firefox 4 for free with its H/W acceleration. We all know they or Google will fix issues over the coming years and keep their browsers abreast of new technology. No need to buy gear every year, more like every 3-6 years. I maintain control and depend only upon my ISP for Internet access.
For those who likes to whine then buy any Blu-ray player for limited, restricted, buggy Internet access. Then expect to upgrade just about every year.
Is this also too redundant when we have infinitely more capable PCs with HDMI digital video and audio outputs? I plug mine directly into my Samsung ALL-digital receiver and use a wireless keyboard with trackball:

http://www.amazon.com/Multimedia-Key...0884267&sr=8-1
post #8 of 204 Old 03-24-2011, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer View Post

PLEASE NOTE, I am reffering to the new samsung BDD 6500, NOT the bdc 6500, my previous post was moved to the 6500 dbc, I am not referring to that model, As I said in my previous post, I had bought the panny 210, after using it for a week,I started having trouble with the tray not openning, also, I felt that the build quality was rather cheap and flimsy, so I returned it and bought the new samsung BDD 6500, I have found that the samsung seems a lot better in build quality, and the new loading system is much better then the tray system on other models, I found the pq quality excellent on both the panny and the samsung, also the up conversion, thanks

I pulled it up on amazon and the proper title seems to be: Samsung BD-D6500 3D Blu-ray Disc Player (Black)

Given HiFiFun's posts (in this thread) I discount any 3D capability in the above amazon title.

Anyhow this is it? This is as cheap as it gets for a current decent blu-ray STB (set top box)?

If so, call me disappointed!!

Meaning I've still to get any blu-ray hardware of any kind, but might be interested now that RedBox offers a few titles at very reasonable nightly cost.

Given that there are 10 (!) moderators in this forum I hesitate to make any specific mention of STB price. Kindly just suggest alternative STB that cost less and why they might be better option than the Samsung BD-D6500.

Thank you and Cheers

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #9 of 204 Old 03-24-2011, 06:53 AM

I just hooked this up last night (BDD6500ZA, but I think it's the same). For the life of me I can't get it to connect to the internet for more then a few seconds. I'm setting all the IP info manually, just like everything else in my house. I even went as far as grabbing one of the ethernet cables from one of the other (known working) devices and I still had problems.
The error I get is that it can find the local network, but not the internet and that I should check the DNS server. What's odd though, is that even after this happens, I don't see it on my router and I can't ping it. So I'm wondering if it's shutting the connection back down or not connecting at all.

After checking and double checking my settings, I finally changed my DNS server to 8.8.8.8 (google), and it said it was fine, but by the time I went over to try to use SmartHub, it said it had no connectivity (at this point it was showing up on my router). I went back to the network area and I was getting the same error. Changed the DNS to 8.8.4.4, connected, lost the connection when I tried to use SmartHub. At that point I gave up for the night.

Any thoughts on this? I'm trying to decide if I should keep trying with this or if I should just exchange it for a new one and assume there's something wrong with it.
post #10 of 204 Old 03-24-2011, 12:58 PM

Hi.

I'm interested in this player to replace a Sony BDP-S770 which I returned due to a high-pitched whine during playback. Can anyone comment on the drive noise from this machine? In particular if there is any high-pitched sound since I seem to be particularly sensitive to this. I know that no blu ray player is going to be completely silent, but some produce less annoying sounds than others...
post #11 of 204 Old 03-24-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post

I just hooked this up last night (BDD6500ZA, but I think it's the same). For the life of me I can't get it to connect to the internet for more then a few seconds. I'm setting all the IP info manually, just like everything else in my house. I even went as far as grabbing one of the ethernet cables from one of the other (known working) devices and I still had problems.
The error I get is that it can find the local network, but not the internet and that I should check the DNS server. What's odd though, is that even after this happens, I don't see it on my router and I can't ping it. So I'm wondering if it's shutting the connection back down or not connecting at all.

After checking and double checking my settings, I finally changed my DNS server to 8.8.8.8 (google), and it said it was fine, but by the time I went over to try to use SmartHub, it said it had no connectivity (at this point it was showing up on my router). I went back to the network area and I was getting the same error. Changed the DNS to 8.8.4.4, connected, lost the connection when I tried to use SmartHub. At that point I gave up for the night.

Any thoughts on this? I'm trying to decide if I should keep trying with this or if I should just exchange it for a new one and assume there's something wrong with it.

Also, will adding external memory help with streaming Netflix...if I manage to get that set up?
post #12 of 204 Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 PM

FTW, I just tried connecting via wireless and got the exact same error, that it could find the local network, but not the internet. When it could find the internet, it would only be for a few seconds. Trying to log on to SmartHub to download the Netflix App, I couldn't stay on long enough to start entering my email address.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, that would be great, otherwise, I think I'll be taking it back, though I'd prefer not to have to box it all up and head back out to BB.
post #13 of 204 Old 03-25-2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

I pulled it up on amazon and the proper title seems to be: Samsung BD-D6500 3D Blu-ray Disc Player (Black)

Given HiFiFun's posts (in this thread) I discount any 3D capability in the above amazon title.

It would be great to see a Blu-ray player combined with, as you state, a "STB (set top box)". But Blu-ray licensing would undoubtedly prohibit it (image playing back ripped .iso dvd movies; it ain't never going to happen, as Oppo states).

The reason Blu-ray players provide Internet access is get consumers used to the idea of subscribing (paying) for Internet content with proprietary software/firmware under studio control. Actually its worse than cable as consumers will need to replace the player when the Internet firmware is no longer updated: like when next years models are introduced!

Guys, use a htpc for all Internet access. Presto! .All technical issues are now solved, and you get the freedom to choose content providers and resist being subject to targeted advertising. Note: Internet tracking is a serious privacy issue, but is beyond the scope of this post.

The Samsung 6500 works fine for playing back 3D discs with 3D receiver and a 3D HDTV.
The 6700 player will also take 2D discs and convert them to 3D in real-time. I've read it works pretty good with the Avatar 2D disc. We shall see.

Anynet is Samsung's name for the control protocol built into HDMI. Handshaking between HDMI gear has always been a mess, so I expect no different here.
However, since I also own the Samsung 700 receiver, I may enable the Anynet and see how well it works with one remote control.
post #14 of 204 Old 03-25-2011, 08:41 AM

I have this player and so far I like it other than one missing feature.
The rep at Bestbuy told be I could surf the web with it.
He must have thought I was talking about Netflix, etc. I wanted
a Web Browser. When I was researching Samsung products
I must have been looking at one of the TVs because it has a Web Browser
app.

Since you download apps over the internet and in my case I use a wired
connection, what are the chances someone could write a web browser
at or mod an existing app to point to lets say NBC or abc website where
you can watch TV eposodes? a full Web Browser would be best.

Ken
post #15 of 204 Old 03-25-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post

I'm setting all the IP info manually, just like everything else in my house. I even went as far as grabbing one of the ethernet cables from one of the other (known working) devices and I still had problems.

If you are setting up the network manually then you should know what you are doing.
I used to do the manual route with Xp many years ago, but switch over to automatic dynamic configuration. No worries since then mate!
You missed the most basic critical test: take a know good laptop or PC and see if it connects to the Internet with this outlet and cable.

My Samsung 6500 connected up to the Internet immediately just by plugging in the cable. I checked for firmware upgrades, then reconnected the cable back to my Windows 7 htpc with HDTV DVR, as i refuse to add another box (here a multi-port Ethernet router with wall-wart) to each room, just to add even more boxes. The clutter created turns a family room into a studio.
What are you going to tell BB when you return it?
post #16 of 204 Old 03-25-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

If you are setting up the network manually then you should know what you are doing.

That's what I kept telling myself. On this network alone I have (wired) three Tivos, a receiver, TV, and computer as well as a wireless laptop and occasionally a (Android) phone...all manually set. As well as quite a few other "home" type networks I've setup.

I ended up taking it back and picking up a Panasonic. Set it up the same way and it hopped right on the network.
Maybe it was something with that player, but googling around, I see I'm not the only person who's had this problem with Samsung DVD players.

I just told BB it wouldn't connect, I've never had a problem returning anything to them.
post #17 of 204 Old 03-25-2011, 06:28 PM

Just ordered the 6700 and will post impressions once I get it.
post #18 of 204 Old 03-26-2011, 07:42 PM

I just purchased the BD-D6500 the other day from BestBuy and it is sooo slow! Right now its connected to a 802.11G router (With excellent signal strength) and I plan on running a network cable in hopes of fixing the speed issue.

I tried out the Netflix app and when I used the search feature it was painfully slow. It seemed like the player was becoming unresponsive... hopefully it is due to the slow wireless connection.

Also, I popped in a Blu-ray disc and it kept saying that no disc was inserted. I turned it off, waited 5 seconds and then turned it back on and it automatically started playing the disc. I am not sure what to do.

UPDATE! I was just watching a movie and I stopped the movie and I couldn't get it to start back up again nor the unit to respond to any commands such as ejecting the disc. I had to power it off and power it back on again to get it to play.

I think I am going to have to take it back and get a replacement.
post #19 of 204 Old 03-28-2011, 03:21 PM

I picked up a replacement and the second unit isn't crashing but as long as it is connected to the internet it will not work. I can't play a disc as it says no disc inserted nor can I eject the disc. As soon as I unplug the network cable all of a sudden the unit begins to work flawlessly. Freakiest thing I have ever seen. All Samsung Apps work except Netflix and Vudu. I talked to Netflix and they said its Samsungs firmware. I then talked to Samsung technical support and they said that the unit has not been released yet and don't know why BestBuy released it early as the official release date is not for another week. Samsung also told me that technical support doesn't even have firmware yet for it and that there still haven't finished the final release firmware. I think I am going to give up on it completely as Samsung doesn't have an ETA on when the firmware will be released. They told me to give them a call back in a few weeks!!
post #20 of 204 Old 03-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I just got the BD-D6700. Funny that Samsung told you it's not released yet, they are for sale on Amazon now.

AND before I bought it on Amazon, I called Samsung to see if I could buy the next model up...the BD-D7500 and they said it was available too. Amazon said they had that unit but it won't be shipping for 1-2 months from now

I eventually called Amazon and got a slight discount on the BD-D6700...it was like pulling teeth. Got it in the mail yesterday...and I gotta say I thought I was going to hate the silver finish but it looks really nice in person.

Haven't tried the player out yet though as I won't have time until a day or two from now.

Not looking forward to firmware issues but I have Netflix on Xbox and PS3 so I just need my 6700 to play 2D and 3D movies well for now

post #21 of 204 Old 03-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 63
When I unboxed the BD-D6700 it had a cardboard display glued to the top of the plastic sticker cover that protected the player in the box. This was a display cutout of the sort that usually sits on top of a display unit in most stores telling you the features and what not.

So maybe its true that these have not *officially* been advertised as being released and what we have now are the demo versions of the firmware...

BTW the player was brand new and didn't look like it had ever been fiddled with or tested.

post #22 of 204 Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 PM

Liked: 12
I would love to know what the picture quality is compared to the Samsung 6900 or the 7900
post #23 of 204 Old 03-29-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Is the 802.11n only 2.4GHz or is it dual band capable?

Anyone? Dual band or just 2.4GHz?
post #24 of 204 Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 AM

I have tested a few internet apps and they work but like everyone
I know they all have interruptions and pauses due to a the streaming
capabilities of the internet not he player.

The only app I would have enjoyed is a web browser app letting
me surf to ABC or NBC, etc, to watch free TV programs I might have
missed. I emailed Samsung and all they did was confirm NO web browser
App available but would pass my comments on to Samsung. To bad
it would have been a big plus.

I have had what appears to be a hanging when I do play with the internet
apps. My guess is it must take time to catch up to what might have been
loaded before it can free itself. As far as streaming from my hard drive
I have used the samsung program for sharing and it works but what
works better is a program called Vuze. All I do is drag the video
to the left side of the screen where it shows "BD-D6500" and they
are immediately available on for viewing.

Concerning DLNA, are there any forums that discuss different pieces
of DLNA compliant hard ware configs. I am interested in buying a network
drive and would like to read some reviews. Can I load it up with videos,
connect it to my router and expect my samsung to see it as well
as any other DLNA hardware?

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKTVRO View Post

I just bought this player. My main reason was my existing Philips player was so
slow with Blue Ray I would fall a sleep waiting. I also wanted to be able to stream
from my PC to the player.

This does play a BlueRay movie much faster than the Philips. I do not own or have
owned any of the previous Samsung players so I can't offer a comparison.

I did read about earlier samsung players being slow another reason going with
this brand new model.
The player has smart hub. It also allows apps to be installed which so far
other than youtube are all pay for even through they say free.
I have not determined if this player will let me surf the web in a browser
so I could go to a site that might have video. From what I have seen so far
that feature has not jumped out at me yet.

I have not tried out the wifi. I am connected via ethernet but from friends who have
wireless players they all seem to have problems hanging/stopping with services like Netflix.

The rep at BestBuy gave me the impression I could surf to websites with this
player to watch videos. I took that as any site I wanted but so far it appears
only if it's preloaded, like Netflix, Hulu etc, all pay for sites.

If anyone has any tricks or hidden features please state them as I would like
to know everything I can do with this unit.

Ken

post #25 of 204 Old 04-01-2011, 01:33 AM

I ended up taking the BD-D6500 back after talking with Samsung Technical Support. Basically, Samsung has release agreements with all the major chains as to when they are supposed to release the players and also ships the players to retail warehouses a month or two before release. Apparently quite a few major chains ran out of stock of last years model and decided to release the units early. What we have is beta firmware and Samsung's developers are still working on the official firmware and what I could gather we have quite a few weeks if not a month before it comes out. I couldn't risk waiting and finding out that my 2nd unit is faulty too so I picked up the new Panasonic 210 model and everything just works right out of the box! The upconverting is amazing!
post #26 of 204 Old 04-03-2011, 07:47 AM

Downloading Software Upgrade 001008 at this very moment.
post #27 of 204 Old 04-14-2011, 08:46 AM

hi,

does anybody know if you can change/remove the region code on the bd-d6500?

thanks
post #28 of 204 Old 04-15-2011, 03:12 PM

Does this player have the screen fit function like the previous samsung players.
post #29 of 204 Old 04-18-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Anyone? Dual band or just 2.4GHz?

I have the players on WIFI thru LINKSYS G router.
post #30 of 204 Old 04-18-2011, 01:48 PM

Liked: 12
I have a question. I have a un55c8000 Samsung TV. I recently switched from a 2010 Bluray player bd-d6800 to a 2011 bd-d7500 because the bd-d6800. When I made the switch my crosstalk or ghosting problem reduced by a factor of 90% or more. Does the bd-d6500 and bd-d6700 accomplish the same thing?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Bd D6500 Za D6500 Serivce Blue Ray Disc Player 3d Stereo , Blu Ray Players , Philips , Samsung Refurbished Blu Ray Disc Player Bd C6800 B
Gear in this thread - D6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page