AVS master thread for the Samsung BD-D5500 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 253 Old 07-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone get a card reader to work on the BD-D5500? When I plug my 56 and 1 Iogear into the USB it is not recognized or found. It works on my last years BD-C6900 Bluray player. USB drives work fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 253 Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post

My D5500 works and connects fine to the network, using either DHCP or a static IP, however after about 36 hours, it simply fails to connect any longer. Now I can do nothing to resolve the connection issue other than unplug it and plug it back in, then whether it is static or DHCP it will work again. I have the latest Firmware installed on the unit already, since nothing else has the problem I know it is the device and not the network that is at fault. In fact when using DHCP I can see the DHCP server get the requests and send an IP, but the player refuses to accept the new address until it is unplugged and powered back on.

Does anyone have a solution that does not include unplugging the unit?
ERIC

well, I was only able to fix fine after samsung chat recommended power cycling the cable modem in addition to the router and player. I had already tried rebooting the router (dlink dir-825) and unit, even the factory reset of holding the stop button for 10 seconds or whatever. I turned off that entire circuit in the house (just easier) and now it's working again.

If you go DHCP do you get a weird IP coming in?

As an aside, the reason none of my disney bd live content was working is because, according to their support email, disney is not supporting DB live AT ALL anymore.
post #63 of 253 Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 PM

Having the same wired network connection issues. Trying to power cycle/unplug for a few minutes right now.

But I'm ALSO having a problem with stuttering on blu-rays. It happens about every 20secs or so, it's like one little frame is dropped out, or as if there were a scratch on the disc and it just skipped over it really fast. My PS3 does not do this running through all the same equipment. It's happened on multiple discs. Anyone know what that's about? (I was thinking maybe something related to 24p playback, but anyone know?)

(going to try latest firmware whenever I get network working again)
post #64 of 253 Old 07-22-2011, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i just got a bd5500 free with the purchase of my d7900 tv

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 253 Old 07-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Current price of the Samsung BD-D5500C 3D Blu-Ray/DVD Player w/ HDMI Cable Included at Costco is $109.99

The price is $149.99 minus a $40.00 manufacturer's instant rebate making the price $109.99

This was the price today at Costco
post #66 of 253 Old 07-23-2011, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gully_foyle View Post

Has anyone figured out how to get the iphone app to turn the BD-D5500 on? It seems that the unit has to be active for the network remote to work. Am I missing something?

Same issue here. I found that the app doesn't turn on the samsung tv (55d7000) or the samsung bd5500 GDP. Network remote control is on and iPad is allowed.

I do not condone what i do, but i will not deny myself the pleasure!
post #67 of 253 Old 07-24-2011, 06:32 PM

Question about Audio setup:
I noticed that in this unit, when setting up the audio you have four choices:
PCM
Bitstream
Optical Dolby
Optical DTS
If my setup is BD5500 =HDMI=> D7900 TV
BD5500 =OPTICAL=> receiver (Onkyo HT 6100)
because my receiver does not support 3D, which of the audio options above should I pick??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #68 of 253 Old 07-27-2011, 06:57 AM

I hav had my BD-D5500 for three months now and have successfully played avi anf mkv files from a usb drive. Suddenly when playing an avi file I had played just earlier today, I am getting a "Not supported video data" message.
I spoke to Samsung online help who had me do a firmware upgrade which helped for about 2 hours but now the message is back. The mkv files play just fine but the problem persistes with the avi. I have tested the avi files on my pc and they check out.

In addition, there is a white line on the left side of the screen but only when the player is running a file or a disc. The line does not show up on the player menu.

I am so frustrated! I want to take it back to the store! Does anyone have any suggestions?
post #69 of 253 Old 07-29-2011, 09:00 PM

I just got the BD-D5500 player together with un55D7000. When playing BD on this player, I could not find where to turn on/off the closed captioning. Do you guys know if this player supports CC?
post #70 of 253 Old 07-30-2011, 06:00 AM

Are you sure you don't mean subtitles?

I always thought that Closed Captioning was a function of the TV being used, and that Subtitling was the norm for DVD and Blu-ray players. however, I may be wrong on that assumption.
post #71 of 253 Old 07-30-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleafar View Post

Question about Audio setup:
I noticed that in this unit, when setting up the audio you have four choices:
PCM
Bitstream
Optical Dolby
Optical DTS
If my setup is BD5500 =HDMI=> D7900 TV
BD5500 =OPTICAL=> receiver (Onkyo HT 6100)
because my receiver does not support 3D, which of the audio options above should I pick??

I would really like help with this, because i also got:
Samsung UND7900 =OPTICAL(tv audio out)=> receiver
So instead of getting sound from the bluray BD5500 =OPTICAL=> receiver (Onkyo HT 6100) I get sound from the Samsung UND7900 =OPTICAL(tv audio out)=> receiver. Which means is not really surround. How can i get this fixed?

post #72 of 253 Old 07-30-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
darkleafar,
Why don't you use HDMI on Samsung to your Onkyo. Set the Samsung to bitstream so you can get Loss-less audio like DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD from the Onkyo. Good luck.

post #73 of 253 Old 07-30-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

darkleafar,
Why don't you use HDMI on Samsung to your Onkyo. Set the Samsung to bitstream so you can get Loss-less audio like DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD from the Onkyo. Good luck.

Because my onkyo is not hdmi 1.4 compliant and it does not support 3D... That is why I have to run the video and audio from the bluray player separately to my receiver

post #74 of 253 Old 07-30-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

The Samsung can play 2D and 3D blu-ray movies.

Product Features

Blu-ray player
For high-definition movie playback with resolution up to 5 times greater than DVD. Watch films in stunning high-definition just like you do on the big screen.
Upconvert DVDs
Delivers greatly enhanced video performance of standard DVDs by upconverting their video resolution to HDTV-compliant 1080p via the HDMI interface.
3D technology
Experience full 3D content when you pair this Blu-ray player with a 3D HDTV (HDMI 1.4 cable required; not included).
Connect to the Internet
Access movies, TV shows, music and more.
Wi-Fi ready
With compatible wireless adapter (not included) or use an Ethernet cable (not included) for a wired connection to streaming content and firmware updates.
Ethernet port
For wired connection to streaming content and firmware updates (Ethernet cable not included).
Playback formats
Include BD-ROM discs, DVD, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, CD-DA, CD-R and CD+R.
Surround sound decoders
Include Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS and LPCM for a lush soundscape.
1 HDMI output
HDMI cable not included. High-speed HDMI cable is the only connection that can deliver a Blu-ray experience with a full 1080p picture and digital surround sound.
For additional information please see the Specifications Tab

Product images, including color, may differ from actual product appearance.
From the Manufacturer
Product Features
Captivating 2D & 3D in Full HD 1080p

Whether you are viewing a premium-quality 2D picture or seeing incredible 3D depth, images are breathtakingly real in Samsung Full HD. Combine with a 3D TV and 3D active shutter glasses to view the latest Hollywood 3D titles.

post #75 of 253 Old 07-30-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

The Samsung can play 2D and 3D blu-ray movies.

Product Features

Blu-ray player
For high-definition movie playback with resolution up to 5 times greater than DVD. Watch films in stunning high-definition just like you do on the big screen.
Upconvert DVDs
Delivers greatly enhanced video performance of standard DVDs by upconverting their video resolution to HDTV-compliant 1080p via the HDMI interface.
3D technology
Experience full 3D content when you pair this Blu-ray player with a 3D HDTV (HDMI 1.4 cable required; not included).
Connect to the Internet
Access movies, TV shows, music and more.
Wi-Fi ready
With compatible wireless adapter (not included) or use an Ethernet cable (not included) for a wired connection to streaming content and firmware updates.
Ethernet port
For wired connection to streaming content and firmware updates (Ethernet cable not included).
Playback formats
Include BD-ROM discs, DVD, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, CD-DA, CD-R and CD+R.
Surround sound decoders
Include Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS and LPCM for a lush soundscape.
1 HDMI output
HDMI cable not included. High-speed HDMI cable is the only connection that can deliver a Blu-ray experience with a full 1080p picture and digital surround sound.
For additional information please see the Specifications Tab

Product images, including color, may differ from actual product appearance.
From the Manufacturer
Product Features
Captivating 2D & 3D in Full HD 1080p

Whether you are viewing a premium-quality 2D picture or seeing incredible 3D depth, images are breathtakingly real in Samsung Full HD. Combine with a 3D TV and 3D active shutter glasses to view the latest Hollywood 3D titles.

Why are you posting the product specs?

post #76 of 253 Old 08-01-2011, 08:26 AM

argh, my player is pulling a bad IP via dhcp again. totally out of the range set on my router. and so networking and apps are not working. Last time I had to turn of the circuit breaker, the fastest way to restart cable modem, router, player at the same time.
post #77 of 253 Old 08-01-2011, 08:43 AM

jsil

But It Won't Play All My "Homemade" DVDs. However, the Panasonic Will.
post #78 of 253 Old 08-01-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

wrahn,
Did you check with customer service about that problem.

post #79 of 253 Old 08-05-2011, 01:12 PM

I'm following up and that other guy's wired connection thread that teachsac closed and sent the guy to the wrong official thread. "

Hi I just got Samsung BD5500C 3d dvd player. Connected to wired network through eithernet from my linksys router. Played movies through BBC channel and every thing works fine. All of sudden, It stopped working .

I go to Network settings try to connect...
Wireless network connection failed .....
When I see the router connection i still see the mac of Samsung dvd player and an ip assigned and leasing term is still avaialable

Any clues. help appreciated"

look up above, you'll set that I have a similar issue. After a while the player gets a weird IP assigned to it. I had to power cycle not only my router buy my cable modem and the BD player to get it to zero out. You could also try taking any discs out and holding the stop button on the front for 10 seconds.
post #80 of 253 Old 08-06-2011, 11:27 AM

Hi,

I ordered a Samsung 55" HDTV (UND7000) yesterday and it comes with a free blu ray player, I had to choose between BD-C5900 and BD-D5500. I went with BD-C5900, it isnt shipped yet.

Now am having 2nd thoughts about the choice, considering it is the older version and the D5500 is the newer version am wondering if I made the right choice. I went through lot of reviews in the internet but still not able to decide which is the better one. I still have time to change the order.

I want the player to have a fast load time, play 2D and 3D content well. Can the experts here help me, let me know the key differences that would help in taking the decision.

Thanks for your time!
post #81 of 253 Old 08-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Anyone knows if the D5490 is the same as the D5500? I can find very little information about the D5490 but the specs seem to be the same and they share the same user manual on Samsung's website.

My local costco carries the D5490 for less then the D5500 which I see all over the place...
post #82 of 253 Old 08-14-2011, 05:02 AM

Question for anyone that owns one of these players. Can you get a harddrive to work in the USB port? States in users manual that "External HDD device is not supported". Seems very odd to me. Would be very disapointting. Thanks for any responses.

rest
post #83 of 253 Old 08-14-2011, 07:41 AM

Don't really know as I haven't tried it, but maybe its because an HDD needs to have power to drive it [not only for data reading]. Maybe someone else can let you know further.
post #84 of 253 Old 08-15-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleafar View Post
I would really like help with this, because i also got:
Samsung UND7900 =OPTICAL(tv audio out)=> receiver
So instead of getting sound from the bluray BD5500 =OPTICAL=> receiver (Onkyo HT 6100) I get sound from the Samsung UND7900 =OPTICAL(tv audio out)=> receiver. Which means is not really surround. How can i get this fixed?
VIDEO: samsung HDMI to tv. turn down TV volume.
Audio: samsung Optical to receiver (vizio soundbar for me).
I set my samsung to output DTS. could go dolby I guess. not sure it really matters. but you won't get surround going samsung hdmi to tv, and optical out of tv.

The only issue is that there is a slight delay in the audio; mouths and words are barely, but perceptibly, out of sync.

good news is that I can start the pandora app and then turn the tv off entirely
post #85 of 253 Old 08-22-2011, 07:19 PM

turned on the player just now and got a notice of an update to 1001 or 1010 or something. went ahead with it, ir rebooted. No sign on the samsung page of any updates recently.

Not sure what that was about or what it fixed. I'm finding both LG and samsung so far are very crappy about explaining what a firmware update does, fixed issues, release notes, etc.
post #86 of 253 Old 08-24-2011, 06:02 AM

This player does not have great control of DLNA supplied content. For MPG (MPEG) files, you evidently cannot fast forward at all. This is a real pain if you have to stop watching something and then pick it up later. For MP4 files, it allows a "time skip" via the TOOLS button. This is better than nothing, but not very good.

My 2 year old Sony can do all this stuff with no issues. Anyone else experienced this issue?
post #87 of 253 Old 08-27-2011, 07:56 AM

Hello all, found this thread/forum when Samsung offered us a HT D5500 as a replacement for our HT BD1200 that they couldn't fix I started searching for reviews on the 5500.

Does anyone know how to make it not start playing a dvd/bluray as soon as its turned on, we have a lot of disney movies so they can't be stopped until you finally get to the menu then we can go to netflix or whatever.

Netflix seems to hang sometimes, we have to power off to get it to do anything, of course netflix says its samsungs problem and samsung says its netflix's problem.

Any idea why if we turn the 5500 on before the tv we have no sound, have to turn it off and back on to get sound or be sure to turn the tv on first.
post #88 of 253 Old 08-27-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltN46 View Post
This player does not have great control of DLNA supplied content. For MPG (MPEG) files, you evidently cannot fast forward at all. This is a real pain if you have to stop watching something and then pick it up later. For MP4 files, it allows a "time skip" via the TOOLS button. This is better than nothing, but not very good.

My 2 year old Sony can do all this stuff with no issues. Anyone else experienced this issue?
I've had no difficulty doing scans at 3 speds with MP4 content in forward. Have not tried regular MPEG files though.
post #89 of 253 Old 08-29-2011, 12:38 PM

I've turned on the player first or the tv first, I've not seen that determine if it's working. but i go hdmi for picture and optical for sound.

I have a lot of pixar in the house, just hit the main menu button and it will kill the disc and go back to the player main menu where you can go over to the Smart Hub. I've never NOT been able to stop whatever is happening and go to the main player menu.
post #90 of 253 Old 09-18-2011, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Troublesome disc: "Scarface: Limited Edition:SteelBook"
Layer Change / Chapter 20 / when 'Frank' goes down to his knee's my disc/player had been freezing!
My Blu-Ray player downloaded a new firmware Saturday Morning, Firmware# 2011/09/01_001016
This firmware has better error correction and does not cause the machine to freeze at the layer change of the chapter#20 as before, it is not allowing smooth playback and during the 120 seconds of the area in question still 'jumpy' / 'jittery ', but the machine does play through this area allowing me to view part of the movie that I had not been able to view on the Samsung player... but still even my cheap "LG" player which I picked up at my local Kroger's store last December's "After Christmas Sale" for half price (was $99.00 and I only paid $49) plays the troublesome chapter with out a single lost pixel or pause.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd D5500 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Samsung Bd D5500c 3d Blu Ray Player With Hdmi Cable
Gear in this thread - D5500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page