Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 253 Old 09-18-2011, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricide View Post

I've turned on the player first or the tv first, I've not seen that determine if it's working. but i go hdmi for picture and optical for sound.

I have a lot of pixar in the house, just hit the main menu button and it will kill the disc and go back to the player main menu where you can go over to the Smart Hub. I've never NOT been able to stop whatever is happening and go to the main player menu.

I'm using HDMI and optical as well. We either have to power on in the right order or cycle through all the inputs and back around to digital in to get sound if we power up in the wrong order.

I've tried the main menu button right after powering on and always get the "no" icon, we have to wait for it to read the bluray then start the previews then we can get out.

Does yours lock up when using netflix, it will just stop and not respond to anything but a power off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 253 Old 09-19-2011, 07:18 AM

Liked: 11
Has anyone tried to play any of the bonus materials sections from the new Star Wars Complete BD set? I'm having some video stutter issues with transitions from menu to submenu. The bonus stuff plays fine - its only the transitions.
I haven't updated my player for about 5 months, and don't want to unless it would fix this problem as its only minor. Haven't had any other issues except this one with anything else I've played.

Thanks for any feedback.
post #93 of 253 Old 09-28-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneNine View Post

I'm using HDMI and optical as well. We either have to power on in the right order or cycle through all the inputs and back around to digital in to get sound if we power up in the wrong order.

I've tried the main menu button right after powering on and always get the "no" icon, we have to wait for it to read the bluray then start the previews then we can get out.

Does yours lock up when using netflix, it will just stop and not respond to anything but a power off.

there is a title menu button, and then a player main menu button. I'm talking about the button that takes you to the samsung icons: media, smarthub, network, etc. I get the "no icon" on some blu rays that force you to sit through previews before you can skip to the DISC's main menu. But the DEVICE menu button go to home screen at any time. This is from memory, I apologize in advance if this is not the case.

i've had the device freeze half a dozen times, but not related to netflix, as I netflick directly through the TV. Altough, if you told me the d-5500 app streams with 5.1 I'd start using it instead.
LL
post #94 of 253 Old 09-28-2011, 04:30 PM

It kind of streams 5.1. Was watching a mythbusters episode on netflix today and the voice came out one one of the rear speakers, kind of startled me for a second since it sounded louder being right next to me. I don't think its streaming 5.1 though I think its just the dolby chip simulating it from a stereo feed.
I don't think the surround on the 5500 sounds quite as good as the 1200 that samsung finally took back and hopefully it doesn't keep freezing, but I'm e-mailing this time instead of calling since they couldn't locate any of my calls when I tried to tell them the 1200 had a problem way back as soon as we got it and I had to fight them a year.
Samsung support replied back and told me to factory reset and to make sure we had a 2.5M for dvd or 5M connection for HD (we have 8M) so I get to reset it this weekend and set everything up again.
post #95 of 253 Old 09-29-2011, 02:40 AM

Hi,
I have a Samsung BD-D6900 blu-ray player and I experience an issue when playing anamorphic media files from an USB device only; since a friend of mine has the same issue with the BD-D8200 model, I'am asking here to verify if also the BD-5500 is affected.
Issue description:
in my external USB HDD I have a lot of PAL 720x576i anamorphic (i.e. DAR 16:9) mpeg2 files which are "native" DTT or DVB recordings from several broadcaster obtained through DTT/DVB pci cards in my desktop PC.
The issue is that they are displayed as 4:3 on my 16:9 Panasonic TH42PV60 plasma TV, that is with lateral black bars.
You have to know that:
- all files are correctly reproduced with any software player running under Windows and with a cheaper LG BD-550 player
- all files are recognized by Mediainfo as 720x576i DAR 16:9 files
- if I demux one of this mpeg2 files and re-encode it as 720x576 DAR 16:9 h264 video stream in mkv container I STILL experience this issue
- if I demux one of this mpeg2 files and re-encode it as 720x576 DAR 16:9 h264 video stream in mp4 container, the file is CORRECTLY reproduced !
- I have upgraded the latest 1007 firmware
- I'm using an 1.4 hdmi cable
- I experience the same issue when using an analog composite connection with my TV
- THE SAME anamorphic content, if authored without any transcoding as DVD and burned on a DVD+-R disc, is CORRECTLY reproduced

Anyone else experienced similar results with Samsung BD-D5500 player ?

How can I contact Samsung support ? (through Cnet Samsung support forum I didn't have any reply from Samsung)

Regards

L.
post #96 of 253 Old 10-04-2011, 04:25 PM

I'm having trouble with audio when bitstreaming DTS HD Master Audio. It will be working and then it will lose sound. To get the sound back, I have to skip chapters and skip back to where I was. It isn't my receiver, because when I hook up my old blu ray player everything works fine.

Anyone else had problems with intermittent audio while bitstreaming on the D5500?
post #97 of 253 Old 10-05-2011, 09:53 AM

sometimes Wall-E won't have any audio when the movie starts. I have to eject the disc and reload it. Or sometimes even put a different disc in to clear out the cache or whatever.

But I've not have audio drop mid-stream. I'm not sure I'm bitstreaming though. I'm listening DTS out the optical output to a soundbar.
post #98 of 253 Old 10-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Just got this new Samsung BD-D5500 ,
Plug an external USB hard drive 1TB fomated in NTFS , can handle almost any MKV files , 720p , 1080p. Multilanguage.
Everything play smooth ,ive tried several blu-ray 3d player (Sony S470 - Panasonic BDP-110 ) and this Samsung give me the best result yet.

I want to know if there is a way to put a cover art to the MKV file's thumbnail
in the navigation system,
that would be awsome

thank you
post #99 of 253 Old 10-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Since the latest Firmware and APP Store updates.... Have any of you had any troubles with the APP STORE where the APP's that you have purchased delete them self's from the ''DESKTOP''?
post #100 of 253 Old 10-20-2011, 10:19 AM

ahh sorry, I haven't bought any apps for the player.
post #101 of 253 Old 10-21-2011, 03:05 PM

So while its fresh in my mind, here is the strangeness ours does.
Daughter wanted to watch something on netflix so she turns it on. After a few seconds I hear the THX sound from the dvd thats in it then she asks me for help. I power on the tv and its sitting at the menu for the dvd (original lion king). I hit menu then netflix and hand her the remote again and she picks a movie on netflix and it has no sound. So I power off the 5500 then back on and hit menu real quick while its still starting the dvd then hit netflix and see netflix starting so I hand it to her, then after a few seconds the THX intro comes up from the dvd and it goes to the lion king dvd menu again so I have to hit menu then netflix again.
So thats the two odd startup issues we have, if we power the player and tv on in the wrong order we have no sound. Then if there is a dvd/bluray in we have to wait through the intro before we can exit and then use netflix. Then we have to hope netflix doesn't freeze the system to we have to power off and on and do it all over again.
post #102 of 253 Old 10-24-2011, 10:34 AM

I'm confused. to use netflix on the player you have to hit the main menu button to get to the icons (device, network, settings). You choose the SmarTv icon to get to the page that shows the apps, and that's where you select netflix, from among Pandora, and like a dozen other little apps. Maybe you're skipping over some steps in your description, but i just wanted to make sure you're not launching the netflix app on your tv. On my LG tv I click one button and see the netflix app listed, like you described. on the 5500 it takes a bit longer to get to the netflix app.

Once i hit the main menu button and get to the main 5500 player menu, with the 4 or 5 icons you scroll through left and right (settings, network, devices) I've never had a disc start by itself once I choose to go to that menu. And I've never had a disc back me out of the SmartTv apps.
post #103 of 253 Old 10-24-2011, 11:05 AM

Liked: 11
Ideally, you wouldn't need a DVD or BD in the player to use the apps, would you? Maybe this is what's screwing things up.
post #104 of 253 Old 10-24-2011, 01:08 PM

No netflix on my tv. 'm pressing menu then the netflix button on the 5500's remote which skips the smarthub and goes straight in.
yes we don't need to have a BD or DVD in the drive to use netflix, it was just left in there from whatever we watched before. The odd issue I have is the inability to stop the DVD/BD from loading if i just want to skip it and go straight to netflix. Even if I cancel out of the loading prompt to the main menu and start up netflix when the dvd finishes loading it switches back to it.
The other issue is the lack of sound if we power on in the wrong order and the freezing of the system while watching netflix movies.
post #105 of 253 Old 10-25-2011, 09:26 AM

oh, ok. I consolidated to a universal remote. I'll pull that out and try it. I have the Bourne Identity bluray from netflix. I'll try booting up with that in but going to netflix first.

I've not had the audio issue. I have optical to a soundbar directly, but I also get audio via hdmi to the tv. I have to turn the tv down so I'm not getting two streams at once, but they always work no matter which of the three is on first.
post #106 of 253 Old 10-26-2011, 04:15 PM

I can't figure out how to connect to a network share like our 1200. The manual talks about some program you have to download and install on a Windows PC but our 1200 I could just point to the server and share and put in a user and password.
post #107 of 253 Old 10-26-2011, 04:23 PM

A few things I've noticed:
  • DLNA using miniDLNA off of a Linux server will only stay connected for ~30 seconds. The inotify option in miniDLNA may have something to do with this, but the 4 Samsung TVs I have with SmartHub (all "D" series) work fine - Just not this...
  • Doesn't support 1080 3D rips, which isn't entirely surprising since the native resolution is so high.

Would be nice to see a fix to the first issue - Kind of a killer for DLNA, at least with miniDLNA...

Samba support would be cool too...Probably too much to ask for...
post #108 of 253 Old 10-27-2011, 09:48 AM

my WD MyBookLive shows up in the devices list in the main menu. But, I don't stream from it so I don't know if it works but I didn't have to do anything to get it to show up. Both the MBL and the D5500 are wired LAN to the router.
post #109 of 253 Old 10-27-2011, 03:10 PM

I was doing some searching and found a review that says samsung's allshare was basically a dlna server so I tossed minidlna on my netbook and it saw it. Went ahead and put on my file server and its playing fine, no 30 Second disconnect. Maybe just how the package was configured in the distro you used?

It doesn't sound as good as the HT1200. I was playing music through the headphone jack in my laptop and I could hear the difference between mp3 and flac but can't on the 5500.

does yours show the album art or a musical note when playing a song and the screen saver? I see the album art when scrolling through selecting the music but not when playing. Seems like that should be there.
post #110 of 253 Old 11-13-2011, 04:11 PM

Anyone else pick up Cars 2, can your play it without skipping.
post #111 of 253 Old 11-14-2011, 07:57 AM

it's part of their new Smart technology, where it won't play terrible movies .
post #112 of 253 Old 11-14-2011, 03:57 PM

Your probably right. Wife said it played fine today, everyone is sick so not doing much other than sitting around watching tv.
I can report back that minidlna hasn't had a problem, we've been playing music off it just fine since I set it up, my server is running a little slow, my IDS runs on it under a virtual machine so the extra traffic is slowing it down a bit, but then again my server is a 5 year old laptop.
post #113 of 253 Old 11-19-2011, 03:05 PM

Well for some reason today ours will not even attempt to play cars2, mars needs moms, or toy story 3 (those were the three I tried). I took them all downstairs in another bluray and they play fine. Samsung tech support says they will research to see if they need to make another firmware update, which would only make sense if they had just updated the firmware recently to cause the issue.
So this is now the second Samsung HT that has given us nothing but problems. I'd suggest anyone buy another brand. My biggest issue is they drag us along until the warranty ends then tell us they can't help us since we are past warranty, luckily when we were going to send the 1200 back for the 4th time right at the end of the warranty I paid for their extended warranty, even then they were only going to give us partial credit because it was "so old" so i had to explain they we have had the problem since we first got it.
Interesting that disney is aware http://www.disneystudioshelp.com/det...__SUPPORT.html
Seems like they need a more stern warning, like don't buy samsung if you want to be able to view our movies.
post #114 of 253 Old 11-20-2011, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone else pick up Cars 2, can your play it without skipping.

All kinds of problems with the 3D version. Kept going back a chapter. Had to play the DVD so we could get through the movie.
post #115 of 253 Old 11-20-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:

I can't figure out how to connect to a network share like our 1200. The manual talks about some program you have to download and install on a Windows PC but our 1200 I could just point to the server and share and put in a user and password.

You can just use Windows Media Center on a windows PC. I do this and I can watch movies on my PC with no real issues. You don't need to install any special software. Now, WMC is not the best sofware in the world, but it does mostly work.
post #116 of 253 Old 11-20-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlw2000 View Post

All kinds of problems with the 3D version. Kept going back a chapter. Had to play the DVD so we could get through the movie.

will your even play at all now? Mine either downloaded an update overnight or has an issue, three of the newer Disney bluray's I tried won't even play.
post #117 of 253 Old 11-20-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltN46 View Post

You can just use Windows Media Center on a windows PC. I do this and I can watch movies on my PC with no real issues. You don't need to install any special software. Now, WMC is not the best sofware in the world, but it does mostly work.

minidlna works fine so i don't have to have windows on my server.
post #118 of 253 Old 11-20-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:

minidlna works fine so i don't have to have windows on my server.

This should have said Windows Media Player, not Windows Media Center. I never tried minidlna, but maybe I will. I have had issues with WMP not finding new movies, etc. Once it gets settled, it seems to work OK. I have also found that the D5500 has limited capabilities with MPG files. It works better with MP4 files.
post #119 of 253 Old 11-20-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltN46 View Post

This should have said Windows Media Player, not Windows Media Center. I never tried minidlna, but maybe I will. I have had issues with WMP not finding new movies, etc. Once it gets settled, it seems to work OK. I have also found that the D5500 has limited capabilities with MPG files. It works better with MP4 files.

What I had meant is the new one couldn't connect to a file sharer like the old, I could use a simple samba share for it.
post #120 of 253 Old 11-29-2011, 05:39 AM

Has anyone tried the component video outputs with a Blu-ray disc and verified if the BD-D5500 will play back in 1080?

I'm looking to get a player with component output that is not limited to SD (or removed altogether) by the "analog sunset." This one fit my criteria as it had both component video and optical audio, but I'm wondering if I may have to go back to a 2010 model to find one that supports HD over component.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd D5500 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Samsung Bd D5500c 3d Blu Ray Player With Hdmi Cable
Gear in this thread - D5500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page