Official Sony BDP-S780 Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 681 Old 01-30-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Today for the first time I heard the "whirling disk buzz" ( pretty loudly) that some have complained about in this forum. I just got a new Bluray called "Real Steel" and had left it in the S780 after viewing last night. Today when I powered up the player the BUZZ was pretty loud. I simply opened the tray and took the disk out and then reloaded the disk back in the tray and all was well again. My guess is that sometimes these disks might be just a slight bit out of alignment in the tray which causes this buzz when it starts spinning.

LB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 681 Old 01-30-2012, 07:09 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjnsgy View Post

The s780 didn't play the mkv format.

No.
The S780 works fine with serviio (mkv play natively).

post #453 of 681 Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono225 View Post

No.
The S780 works fine with serviio (mkv play natively).

Have you tried Vuze ? www.vuze.com. I had much better overall streaming experience with Vuze ( free version) than serviio. However I don't use mkv files.

LB
post #454 of 681 Old 01-30-2012, 07:52 AM

Sorry, but Vuze is no alternative for me.

Far too much useless stuff. I just want to play, do not download, no burn, no extra virus protection and no ads.
Transcoding Serviio may also, if necessary.

And? It's free and works perfectly for me. Of course it must all decide for themselves.
post #455 of 681 Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1 View Post

has Sony fixed the color space problem that they had in the their previous players?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/techn...n.html?start=3

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-r...e-theater.html
post #456 of 681 Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, but Vuze is no alternative for me.

Far too much useless stuff. I just want to play, do not download, no burn, no extra virus protection and no ads.
Transcoding Serviio may also, if necessary.

And? It's free and works perfectly for me. Of course it must all decide for themselves.

No worries. In my case I tried to stream mac mpeg-4 to the S780 using the free version of serviio and had a lot of problems--same issue with several other apps too. Finally someone in another forum recommended Vuze ( which I had never heard of) and for me worked pretty well and has proven to be stable so far... was just curious if it would do just as well with .mkv files.

LB
post #457 of 681 Old 01-31-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1 View Post

has Sony fixed the color space problem that they had in the their previous players?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/techn...n.html?start=3

Quote:

I guess it depends on which article you chose to reference or maybe the firmware used for testing at some point in time. Check out CNET's detailed test results: ( scroll down for their chroma tests results)

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...Wc&output=html

LB
post #458 of 681 Old 01-31-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Can anyone tell me if the load time on the Sony Bdp-780 is quicker than the older Bdp-360? I have the 360 and it is slow as heck. Thinking of getting the Sony Bdp-780 or possibly an Oppo 93.
post #459 of 681 Old 01-31-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

No worries. In my case I tried to stream mac mpeg-4 to the S780 using the free version of serviio and had a lot of problems--same issue with several other apps too. Finally someone in another forum recommended Vuze ( which I had never heard of) and for me worked pretty well and has proven to be stable so far... was just curious if it would do just as well with .mkv files.

I'm very surprised.
What version of serviio you had these problems? The current application runs well with mp4, mkv, m2ts, mov, avi and flv files. The best part is the mkv movies play natively! You should try it again. In the next few days will serviio 0.6.2.
I would like to mention that a very high bitrate for S780 is not a problem. No jerking or stuttering.
post #460 of 681 Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Can anyone tell me if the load time on the Sony Bdp-780 is quicker than the older Bdp-360? I have the 360 and it is slow as heck. Thinking of getting the Sony Bdp-780 or possibly an Oppo 93.

The $499 Oppo 93 is generally regarded as one of the best overall consumer grade Bluray players on the market. However, IMO I am not sure how much the human eye can actually denote between different levels of bluray quality between these newer high-end bluray players--hence the reason most reply upon the "number's" aka technical review scores to determine bluray player quality. ( again just my opinion as I don't have an Oppo 93 to compare side-by-side to my BDP-S780)

I don't own a BDP-360 to compare--but I can tell you that I found the BDP-S780 to load very quickly. IMO you would not be disappointed with the load time.

LB
post #461 of 681 Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm very surprised.
What version of serviio you had these problems? The current application runs well with mp4, mkv, m2ts, mov, avi and flv files. The best part is the mkv movies play natively! You should try it again. In the next few days will serviio 0.6.2.
I would like to mention that a very high bitrate for S780 is not a problem. No jerking or stuttering.

Seems a tough nut to crack to find anything that can stream Mac MPG4 video format from any current Mac devices iPad/iMac/iPhone to Sony or Samsung TVs or Bluray Players. I originally tried serviio ver .0.5.2. Its asking me to upgrade to 0.6.1 now--so maybe I will give that a try again.

LB
post #462 of 681 Old 01-31-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

The $499 Oppo 93 is generally regarded as one of the best overall consumer grade Bluray players on the market. However, IMO I am not sure how much the human eye can actually denote between different levels of bluray quality between these newer high-end bluray players--hence the reason most reply upon the "number's" aka technical review scores to determine bluray player quality. ( again just my opinion as I don't have an Oppo 93 to compare side-by-side to my BDP-S780)

I don't own a BDP-360 to compare--but I can tell you that I found the BDP-S780 to load very quickly. IMO you would not be disappointed with the load time.

At the time of it's release, the 780 was considered a great buy by many reviewers for the price/performance ratio. Also, it was tested against other players(don't remember by whom) for load times and was rated as one of the fastest. That's how I wound up buying mine. I'm very happy w/ it and I highly recommend it.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #463 of 681 Old 02-01-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

At the time of it's release, the 780 was considered a great buy by many reviewers for the price/performance ratio. Also, it was tested against other players(don't remember by whom) for load times and was rated as one of the fastest. That's how I wound up buying mine. I'm very happy w/ it and I highly recommend it.

I agree. I too have been and remain delighted with the S780 and all its capabilities since the first day I bought it Today selling for an eye-popping $164.63 on Amazon.com

LB
post #464 of 681 Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 PM

Can somebody please confirm the following?

1. Does the S780 resume playback a disc even if the tray has been opened and the power has been turned off and on?

2. Does it play videos in a USB HD plugged into the USB port at the back?
post #465 of 681 Old 02-04-2012, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
To answer 1, it's yes and no. It and most other players will resume playback even with the disc removed and player turned off IF it is authoried expressly that way or has NO Javascript at the startup that prohibits resuming. Suckerpuch is one such disc. I popped it in today and a screen generated from the disc asked if I wanted to resume or play from the beginning. I haven't played it in several weeks. Some "plain" Blu-rays I believe will resume via the player with help from it's "Blu-ray memory storage area". Discs with lengthy load times and that are heavy on the Javascript usually go to trialers, ads or straight to menus.

As for 2, I believe it would but I haven't tried it personally. You came to the right place to ask though.
post #466 of 681 Old 02-05-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhc99 View Post

1. Does the S780 resume playback a disc even if the tray has been opened and the power has been turned off and on?

As Westley Hester has mentioned, it depends on the Disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhc99 View Post

2. Does it play videos in a USB HD plugged into the USB port at the back?

It should work, as long as the files are a format that the player supports - which is quite limited. You are better off buying a separate media player.
post #467 of 681 Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

To answer 1, it's yes and no. It and most other players will resume playback even with the disc removed and player turned off IF it is authoried expressly that way or has NO Javascript at the startup that prohibits resuming. Suckerpuch is one such disc. I popped it in today and a screen generated from the disc asked if I wanted to resume or play from the beginning. I haven't played it in several weeks. Some "plain" Blu-rays I believe will resume via the player with help from it's "Blu-ray memory storage area". Discs with lengthy load times and that are heavy on the Javascript usually go to trialers, ads or straight to menus.

As for 2, I believe it would but I haven't tried it personally. You came to the right place to ask though.

+1 on your first comment. People, who don't understand this naturally blame the player when in fact it's whatever capability is coded on the Disc's software.

LB
post #468 of 681 Old 02-05-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

As Westley Hester has mentioned, it depends on the Disc.

It should work, as long as the files are a format that the player supports - which is quite limited. You are better off buying a separate media player.

I can confirm YES to HD playback on a compatible USB device. Check this for compatible formats:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/BDPS780.pdf#page36. Scroll to page 36

LB
post #469 of 681 Old 02-05-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1 on your first comment. People, who don't understand this naturally blame the player when in fact it's whatever capability is coded on the Disc's software.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was never able to figure out why sometimes it did/didn't, and it was driving me crazy!

post #470 of 681 Old 02-05-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Btw what shall be better for pioneer elite pro 151? I am currently running ps3 and shall replace with 780 waiting for me to do the switch or shall I wait and swap for 790? With 4k upscale? How far btw? I got my 780 from Sony for around $250
post #471 of 681 Old 02-06-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Btw what shall be better for pioneer elite pro 151? I am currently running ps3 and shall replace with 780 waiting for me to do the switch or shall I wait and swap for 790? With 4k upscale? How far btw? I got my 780 from Sony for around $250

Interesting discussion. Still too new to tell. IMO but I think you have to pare the 790 with a 4k capable TV as well to take advantage of the 4K upscale? And if that is the case not sure what other significant enhancement the 790 offers over the 780 other than a higher price tag.

Seems to me another several years before we start seeing any significant 4K content. Not sure why Sony is heading down the 4K road so early particularly when the industry took years to roll out HD and in some cases still rolling out HD 720 to 1080 etc. not to mention 3D. I guess time will tell if Sony's 4K approach in 2012 was a successful approach or not--probably largely dependent upon if they are able to convince enough consumers to swap out their 1080P capable devices for something called "4K" capable wink, wink....

For me, I think I'll skip anything 4K for the foreseeable future and IF I were to hop to anything new it would be to an OLED TV--particularly since an OLED TV will work very nicely with all my current equipment and bluray/dvd library, and current digital broadcasts OTA/Cable/Satellite adding significant and immediate PQ enhancement....for a price. ( Last I heard LG's 55" OLED is rumored to start selling in the $8K range). So it may be a few years before OLED TV becomes a member of my family...LOL

LB
post #472 of 681 Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM

Hi i have the S780 and i am looking to use a wireless keyboard for it since using the remote is a pain to type.does anyone know if the Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 will work with the player?i don't want to buy it then hook it it up and find out it doesn't work.i was hoping id be able to plug the dongle in one of the usb ports and be able to get the keyboard connected and be able to type.if anyone knows or could test if that wireless keyboard works or could find out the help is much appreciated thank you.
post #473 of 681 Old 02-10-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninmario4life View Post

Hi i have the S780 and i am looking to use a wireless keyboard for it since using the remote is a pain to type.does anyone know if the Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 will work with the player?i don't want to buy it then hook it it up and find out it doesn't work.i was hoping id be able to plug the dongle in one of the usb ports and be able to get the keyboard connected and be able to type.if anyone knows or could test if that wireless keyboard works or could find out the help is much appreciated thank you.

I don't know of or have read where anyone has been able to connect the Bdp-S780 to a logitech wireless keyboard--great idea though. ( I think I read somewhere that you can use a Sony laptop and other Windows 7 laptops but not 100% sure of this)

Somebody early on in this forum said they are using an Adesso wireless keyboard with their S580. (http://www.adesso.com/en/home/keyboards/wireless.html)

"...I was able to successfully use an Adesso wireless keyboard on my new S580. It is so... much more convenient than the software keyboard which looks like a remote. The web browser works but can you zoom in it (it looks kind of small) and can I use my mouse and keyboard directly in it?..." See post #103 in this forum.

In the meantime, I use the free Media Remote iPhone app from Sony ( or you can use the Android app) as the keyboard on this app is a lot easier to type with then trying to use the remote control number paid.

LB
post #474 of 681 Old 02-10-2012, 02:19 PM

so do you think connecting the Logitech wireless keyboard wont work?
post #475 of 681 Old 02-10-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninmario4life View Post

so do you think connecting the Logitech wireless keyboard wont work?

I don't know. Maybe someone from Logitech support can answer your question.

LB
post #476 of 681 Old 02-12-2012, 07:56 PM

Greetings,

Purchased the S780 yesterday and so far I'm very pleased with my new player. Setup was pretty easy and disk load time is non-existent.

I have the player currently setup with a non-3d 2.5 year old Samsung LED HDTV. Can someone direct me or post the recommended video settings? For example, do you have SBM set to on? What mode (film?) do you use for Blu Ray movies, etc? I curious to what others have found to be the best settings as opposed to what is listed in the manual.

It's very much appreciated and tried doing a few searches but didn't find a definitive answer.

Thanks
Jim
post #477 of 681 Old 02-13-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythTrip View Post

Greetings,

Purchased the S780 yesterday and so far I'm very pleased with my new player. Setup was pretty easy and disk load time is non-existent.

I have the player currently setup with a non-3d 2.5 year old Samsung LED HDTV. Can someone direct me or post the recommended video settings? For example, do you have SBM set to on? What mode (film?) do you use for Blu Ray movies, etc? I curious to what others have found to be the best settings as opposed to what is listed in the manual.

It's very much appreciated and tried doing a few searches but didn't find a definitive answer.

Thanks
Jim

I prefer to have super bit-mapping on, but it's the only "enhancement" I've ever used. All the the other picture adjustments I'd leave off. The picture's ALREADY hi-def, it doesn't usually need "help". Just my 2 cents...

post #478 of 681 Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MythTrip View Post

Greetings,

Thanks
Jim

What did it replace?
post #479 of 681 Old 02-14-2012, 12:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

I always wished it would tell you what the current setting was when it was in AUTO just so I could know. Not in the INFO display but maybe in the menu to the side or something. I've kept mine on AUTO.

I have an S580 and according to my AVR Auto is usually 4:2:2.

Jason
post #480 of 681 Old 02-14-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

What did it replace?

A Panny BD55 which I had for around 2.5 years.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S780 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page