post #541 of 681 Old 03-06-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The 780 has both toslink and coax digital outputs.

Cool. So the optical connector is toslink. I thought it was. I called Sony and they said it didn't have a specific name. When I reminded them that they designed and built the system, they said it was a standard optical cable (getting close....). When I told them that toslink was a very common optical connector, they told me it would work.

I figured I'd ask someone who actually knew what they were talking about.

Thanks.

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 681 Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

I have both the S770 and S780. While I think the PQ/AQ is very similar between the two, I actually preffer the S770. I just love the S770. Everything about the S770 is just flawless, IMO one of the best all around BD players ever made.

+1.

Especially after August 2011 firmware upgrade which fixed a major handshaking problem I was having with AVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

When the S790 comes out, i will give it a try to see how it measure up against the S770.

That would be cool.

All Sony need do now is fix front panel track indicator for SACD and AVCHD playback to make it a perfect machine. Leave everything else as is.
post #543 of 681 Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post

Cool. So the optical connector is toslink. I thought it was. I called Sony and they said it didn't have a specific name. When I reminded them that they designed and built the system, they said it was a standard optical cable (getting close....). When I told them that toslink was a very common optical connector, they told me it would work.

I figured I'd ask someone who actually knew what they were talking about.

Thanks.

I didn't realize that Toslink was the only optical cable I could use with the Sony S780. Is this typical for Sony? I thought perhaps incorrectly that any optical cable would suffice?

LB
post #544 of 681 Old 03-06-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 352
There are a couple of different types, toslink being the most common and the only one that fits the 780. The other digital audio output is an RCA connector and isn't fiber optic. If your receiver has HDMI, then you don't need either one. From left to right is coax, toslink (F) and toslink (M):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #545 of 681 Old 03-06-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are a couple of different types, toslink being the most common and the only one that fits the 780. The other digital audio output is an RCA connector and isn't fiber optic. If your receiver has HDMI, then you don't need either one. From left to right is coax, toslink (F) and toslink (M):

Great response...thank you. I am lucky to be able to use 1.4 HDMI with both Receiver and S780/TV. However, I did get a opt cable for "streaming 5.1" from Netflix or Amazon from my TV streaming apps. I guess I was just lucky to have purchased a really inexpensive toslink opt cable. I thought toslink was a brand...ha ha

LB
post #546 of 681 Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

Great response...thank you. I am lucky to be able to use 1.4 HDMI with both Receiver and S780/TV. However, I did get a opt cable for "streaming 5.1" from Netflix or Amazon from my TV streaming apps. I guess I was just lucky to have purchased a really inexpensive toslink opt cable. I thought toslink was a brand...ha ha

I really like my sound system (esp. after forking out a whole $30 for 12 AWG cabling....it really did make a difference and, out of embarrassment, I won't discuss the the gauge I was using publicly), but it doesn't do sound via HDMI (obviously, because I'm talking 50' optical cables....).

I'd also like to thank you for the post. I use the coax for my FIOS box and the optical for my blu ray (old school bayyyyyybeeeee).

Just FYI, in case anyone is interested, I picked up an Acer h9500bd projector for my HT (120" screen) and the picture is pretty spectacular. It's really inexpensive ($1699 out the door from TigerDirect and expect that to drop....I got it for $1499), but there are some "out of the box" reliability issues. I've looked into it and there are reliable units out there, but that's the hurdle you have to clear. The picture pretty much kicks. If you're interested, there is an Acer 9500 thread out there. There are also some reviews you can look over too.

Again, thanks to mdavej for knowing more than the person at Sony who told me the connector didn't have a name.....ugh....

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
post #547 of 681 Old 03-07-2012, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The latest firmware update for this player installs Cinavia. Not much of an update after such a long time.
post #548 of 681 Old 03-07-2012, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdray View Post

The latest firmware update for this player installs Cinavia. Not much of an update after such a long time.

Thanks for the heads-up. I just updated my system.
I've never heard of Cinavia before...see below for more info:

"This utility upgrades the Blu-ray Disc player firmware to version M07.R.0615 and provides the following benefits:Improvements over firmware version M07.R.0579
  • Improves BRAVIA® Internet Video connectivity
Note: This upgrade includes Cinavia™ content protection technology. Information about Cinavia technology is provided at the Cinavia Online Consumer Information Center at: http://www.cinavia.com."

"Cinavia technology may limit unauthorized uses of some movies and other filmed entertainment in Blu-ray Disc players."

"What does Cinavia technology do? Some releases of movies, television shows and other professionally produced video (such as those shown in movie theaters, on commercial airliners, and in hotels’ “on-demand” movie services) are intended for duplication and playback on professional equipment only.
Other releases (such as most Blu-ray Disc, DVD, and authorized downloads over the Internet) are meant for use on consumers’ in-home and mobile devices, but are not meant for copying by consumers, or are only permitted to be copied in limited ways (for example, to a limited number of computers, recordable discs, or devices).
Cinavia technology is used in Blu-ray Disc players to identify and limit the use of copies of these movies, television shows, and other professionally produced videos that have been made without the permission of the copyright owner." http://www.cinavia.com.

LB
post #549 of 681 Old 03-07-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't realize that Toslink was the only optical cable I could use with the Sony S780. Is this typical for Sony? I thought perhaps incorrectly that any optical cable would suffice?

A little off topic, but this may be of some interest to some of you.....

Optical "cable" comes in different flavors with different characteristics and different connectors. Where I work, we use multi-mode and single-mode fiber optic cabling (and more than one type of each). MM and SM fiber have very different transmission characteristics. I don't know what the characteristics of the audio cabling is, but we use MM within buildings as it can't reliably transmit signals over long distance (but is cheaper) and SM for building to building transmission due to it's superior transmission capabilities. We can push up to 10gig/sec of data.

They also have various connectors such as LC, SC, ST, etc.

post #550 of 681 Old 03-07-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A little off topic, but this may be of some interest to some of you.....

Optical "cable" comes in different flavors with different characteristics and different connectors. Where I work, we use multi-mode and single-mode fiber optic cabling (and more than one type of each). MM and SM fiber have very different transmission characteristics. I don't know what the characteristics of the audio cabling is, but we use MM within buildings as it can't reliably transmit signals over long distance (but is cheaper) and SM for building to building transmission due to it's superior transmission capabilities. We can push up to 10gig/sec of data.

They also have various connectors such as LC, SC, ST, etc.

Thanks InCali. I am always happy to learn. I focus so much on HDMI--I guess I didn't realize all this was going on in the optical cable world!

LB
post #551 of 681 Old 03-07-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks InCali. I am always happy to learn. I focus so much on HDMI--I guess I didn't realize all this was going on in the optical cable world!

Welcome to the wonderful world of ethernet. I could go on about resistance, capacitance, degradation of signal and how optical transmission has it's own set of limitations for different reasons, but then I'd be getting WAAAAAY off subject. Ultimately, those pesky laws of physics (at least as we understand them) mess with our fun and, thanks to some REALLY smart people, increase it.

Go figure.....

post #552 of 681 Old 03-07-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 161
So it is confirmed that M07.R.0579 does not include Cinavia?

* I hate DRM!

Thanks,
Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...

post #553 of 681 Old 03-08-2012, 01:57 AM

Liked: 10
M07.R.0579 contains no Cinavia. Thanks God!
post #554 of 681 Old 03-08-2012, 02:22 AM

At what type of contents affect Cinavia? contents on disc? or hdd? sd or hd?
Yesterday after last update i played some mkvs from hdd on usb port and have no problems....or affect after some time of the play?
Thanks.
post #555 of 681 Old 03-08-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy View Post

Yesterday after last update i played some mkvs from hdd on usb port and have no problems....or affect after some time of the play?
Thanks.

http://www.cinavia.com.

"Cinavia technology may limit unauthorized uses of some movies and other filmed entertainment in Blu-ray Disc players."

"What does Cinavia technology do?

Some releases of movies, television shows and other professionally produced video (such as those shown in movie theaters, on commercial airliners, and in hotels’ “on-demand” movie services) are intended for duplication and playback on professional equipment only.
Other releases (such as most Blu-ray Disc, DVD, and authorized downloads over the Internet) are meant for use on consumers’ in-home and mobile devices, but are not meant for copying by consumers, or are only permitted to be copied in limited ways (for example, to a limited number of computers, recordable discs, or devices).
Cinavia technology is used in Blu-ray Disc players to identify and limit the use of copies of these movies, television shows, and other professionally produced videos that have been made without the permission of the copyright owner."

"How does Cinavia technology work?

Movies protected by Cinavia technology carry inaudible codes embedded by the copyright owner in their audio tracks that indicate where and how they are allowed to be used.
For example, movies that are being released to theaters can carry a Cinavia code that indicates that they are supposed to be duplicated by professional replicators and played back on professional projection equipment only.
Movies that are released on Blu-ray Disc, DVD, or by authorized download services, can carry a different Cinavia code, indicating that these movies are intended for use by consumers, but with limitations regarding whether or how they can be copied.
The Cinavia codes are designed to stay in the audio tracks wherever they appear, including after they are copied, converted to different formats, or captured by a camcorder.
Blu-ray Disc players read Cinavia codes from the audio track of video that they are playing or copying and may limit the use of the video when certain unauthorized uses are identified. Playback or copying of unauthorized copies may be stopped or audio may be muted, depending on which Cinavia code is found and what operation is being performed. This may include limiting the unauthorized use of the audio tracks that accompany professionally produced videos in home movies and other personal recordings. Whenever the use of content is limited due to a Cinavia code, an explanatory message is provided on the video screen or on the front panel of the Blu-ray Disc player.
In any case, you can rest assured that Cinavia technology is not “watching” what you are watching. By design, it can not collect or transmit information about you, your viewing habits or media selections. Cinavia codes are not individualized to you, the media, or the devices that you own and never contain any personal or personally identifiable information."

LB
post #556 of 681 Old 03-08-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy View Post

Thanks.

Also, here is a pretty comprehensive list of know Cinavia "infected" titles.

http://blog.dvdfab.com/cinavia-protection.html
post #557 of 681 Old 03-08-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono225 View Post

M07.R.0579 contains no Cinavia. Thanks God!

Thank You for the confirmation.

Jason

post #558 of 681 Old 03-08-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Starting Link
This utility upgrades the Blu-ray Disc player firmware to version M07.R.0615 and provides the following benefits:
Improvements over firmware version M07.R.0579
Improves BRAVIA® Internet Video connectivity
Note: This upgrade includes Cinavia™ content protection technology. Information about Cinavia technology is provided at the Cinavia Online Consumer Information Center at: http://www.cinavia.com.
Benefits provided by previous upgrades and included in version M07.R.0615:
Improves BRAVIA Internet Video playability
Improves BD-ROM playability
Adds support for:
Playing discs recorded in AVCHD™ version 2.0 format (AVCHD 3D/Progressive)
Playing BDAV content recorded in 3D/Progressive format using BD-R/BD-RE media
Sharing your BRAVIA Internet Video content via Facebook® or Twitter® online services
The Media Remote™ App to control Party Streaming™ mode
Playing video and photos in addition to music when controlled by another DLNA® DMR (Digital Media Receiver) compatible product such as a smartphone
Playing 1080/60p video files from Sony® cameras connected by USB cable to the player
Using the Skype® calling function to call phones and mobile devices
Notes:
Requires a USB webcam
Broadband speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD)
Subject to Skype's terms and conditions
Skype features are available only on the BDP-S780
3D video using the Qriocity™ Video on Demand service
Note: The Qriocity service is available only in the United States
Viewing 3D panoramic photos taken with the 3D Sweep Panorama™ function available on some Sony® cameras
Note: Requires 3D HDTV, 3D glasses, 3D emitter, and HDMI® cable (at least 10.2 Gbps)
Web Search function using the Gracenote™ Entertainment database
SendToMyTV function

post #559 of 681 Old 03-09-2012, 02:10 AM

Many times happen that playing a mkv file from a hdd in usb port with dts 5.1 sound appear on my display receiver (connected to player with optical cable) how 48 khz pcm 2 channel (stereo), then go to audio setting in the cross bar of sony 780 change any setting (bd mix or other similar) even with no changes go back to play the mkv and now appear how dts 5.1 channel....only happen in aprox 10% of mkv files with dts sound, this evening i will try to change the optical cable. Have anybody this problem?
Sorry for my bad english.
post #560 of 681 Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinmn View Post

Well, I guess I won't be illegally copying "Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star"......ever.....in this life or the next.....

post #561 of 681 Old 03-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinmn View Post

Another good reference regarding cinavia corruption of titles and players . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #562 of 681 Old 03-14-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I may have to relocate my Sony BDP blu ray player. Can anyone out there confirm that the form factor for the optical audio output is TOSLINK?

Quote:

The 780 has both toslink and coax digital outputs.

Fortunately, I didn't have to relocate my Sony 780. Turns out that the HDMI cable was fine. The problem was that the HDMI inputs on the projector I had weren't exactly 1.4a compliant. A 6' HDMI cable worked for video (which is why I was thinking of moving my Blu Ray and using a long fiber for audio as opposed to the reverse), but all the other HDMI cables didn't. A new projector fixed everything.

This is a pretty classic example of specification compliance as opposed to "does it work?" If everything is within spec, it will work. If not, it MAY work. Just because things seem to be okay doesn't mean all the components are within spec.

Thanks to MDAVEJ for the lesson in form factors (and the photos). Much appreciated.

Also, saw "Hugo" in 3D last night (120" screen and a "working" Acer h9500bd). I'll tell you this, whether you like the movie or not, Martin Scorsese did one of the (very possibly "the") best job I've yet seen when it came to filming in 3D. When you see this movie in 3D as opposed to some other 3D movies, the difference is beyond striking.

post #563 of 681 Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 AM

I recently bought the Sony BDP-S780 player and the Sony Bravia 47hx929 set. I find that with the Boardwalk Empire disks, the player completely hangs/freezes when I go to Episode menu selection. I can't power cycle using the remote or power button on the player, eject...nothing. I need to unplug the device and restart.

Sony must be aware of problems in this area as the manual tells you to disconnect the AC power cord if you run into this problem. So does anyone know whether this is a general problem with the player. Is it particular to disks with multiple episodes - or a problem particular to Boardwalk Empire? Is there a fix - I installed the latest firmware/software upgrade and that didn't help.

Also, I think there are other conditions under which the player hangs - like skipping through chapters and then hanging when getting to the top menu. Any insight on that?

Finally, I really like the PQ with the player but don't really know if its the TV, the player or simply blu-ray that is responsible for the PQ. All I want is something that plays blu-ray disks and gives a great display - don't care about the other features so would like advice as to other players that do well with the bravia 46hx929 in case I dump this one.

Thanks
post #564 of 681 Old 03-19-2012, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Picked another one these for my parents last night at Best Buy. They had it on sale for $169.99 before tax and it came with the 2 Harry Potter 3D movies
post #565 of 681 Old 03-21-2012, 04:14 AM

Dear Friends: My BDP-S780 is connected to an AVR-3806 Denon receiver. The receiver is able to handle up to 7.1 channels in PCM format using the HDMI connection (it can't handle DSD signals using HDMI). When I listen to blu-ray HD audio formats converted to PCM, the receiver indicates the reception of multichannel PCM signals without problems. On the other hand, when I listen to SACDs (DSD converted to PCM), the receiver indicates only the reception of two channels 176.4 kHz PCM, no matter I set the player output to stereo or multichannel. When I set the player to play a multichannel SACD, its display indicates multichannel, but the receiver indicates only two channels. All the settings in the player and in the receiver are correct. Is there anyone facing the same problem? Thank you.
post #566 of 681 Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunz View Post

Dear Friends: My BDP-S780 is connected to an AVR-3806 Denon receiver. The receiver is able to handle up to 7.1 channels in PCM format using the HDMI connection (it can't handle DSD signals using HDMI). When I listen to blu-ray HD audio formats converted to PCM, the receiver indicates the reception of multichannel PCM signals without problems. On the other hand, when I listen to SACDs (DSD converted to PCM), the receiver indicates only the reception of two channels 176.4 kHz PCM, no matter I set the player output to stereo or multichannel. When I set the player to play a multichannel SACD, its display indicates multichannel, but the receiver indicates only two channels. All the settings in the player and in the receiver are correct. Is there anyone facing the same problem? Thank you.

This may seem like a stupid question, but it's not.

To what video resolution is your BDP set?

Don't forget that to enable multi-channel SA-CD playback on ANY universal player, output video resolution must be set to a minimum of 720P. If it's set to any SD video resolution (480/576 i/p) it will only ouput SA-CD two channel.
post #567 of 681 Old 03-22-2012, 03:54 AM

Iain:

The video resolution is 1080p/60. The player output is set to multichannel SACD and DSD to PCM convesion. Of course, I'm trying to play multichannel SACD discs.

Thank you!
post #568 of 681 Old 03-22-2012, 01:46 PM

I want to purchase a new BDP-S780 but dont want the Cinavia software installed, I know Sony just released a firmware on 3/6/12 that includes Cinavia :

Anyone who purchased the BDP-S780 recently, do you recall which firmware version it came with out of the box?

Does Amazon Video On Demand, HuluPlus come preinstalled when you first unboxed and powered up your unit or is it only available via a firmware update?

Thanks!

post #569 of 681 Old 03-22-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartwater View Post

I want to purchase a new BDP-S780 but dont want the Cinavia software installed, I know Sony just released a firmware on 3/6/12 that includes Cinavia :

Anyone who purchased the BDP-S780 recently, do you recall which firmware version it came with out of the box?

Does Amazon Video On Demand, HuluPlus come preinstalled when you first unboxed and powered up your unit or is it only available via a firmware update?

Thanks!

There all pre-installed, by now ... however I'm pretty certain Sony wont allow you to connect to any of those services unless you do a firmware update. The same way the PS3 works.
post #570 of 681 Old 03-22-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The odds of anyone getting an S780 with the latest DRM firmware on it is slim. These units seem to be on closeout most everywhere so at this point it looks like just remaining stock and none of those units are NEW enough to have the latest firmware pre-installed. I had two S780's and neither had a recent firmware on it, they both had versions from many months ago. I updated one of the players to M07.R.0579 which is the most recent without the DRM, this can be downloaded from the Sony website.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...99&mdl=BDPS580

Jason

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S780 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi
Gear in this thread - S580 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page