Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 681 Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by billh03 View Post

The conversion (fake 3D, conversion is giving it too much credit, way too much) is a tiny bit better than the facility built in to the HX909 Sony television, which to me, does "next to nothing." The biggest change is the feeling of a bit more "behind the screen" depth.

Perhaps a bigger improvement can be seen, at least for me, in the 3D BD performance - especially the "off the screen" objects, or those that appear to be "coming at you." I saw a little bit of crosstalk (shadows) on a 3D BD with the 770 and see almost none of that with the 780. It's a really tiny improvement, but headed in the right direction.

I think it's interesting that you say crosstalk doesn't exist with the S780 when you compare it with the S770. I thought the type of 3d tv, such as plasma, lcd, led, had a lot to do with this.
What difference do you see with the super bit mapping turned on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 681 Old 04-06-2011, 11:43 AM

I've seen the worst crosstalk on a Samsung LCD but have seen it on a Panasonic plasma as well in spite of BB salesmen and lots of messages declaring it to be perfection in all things PQ. I haven't had the 780 long enough or watched enough to really say I'll never see a shadow; I watched the entire Sony demo disc and did not notice any. 3D isn't a big thing for me (after thinking it would be after all the hype a year ago) so I doubt if I'll go to the trouble, but I COULD borrow a Panasonic 350 BD player and try the 3D and see if it makes a difference with shadows.

I really don't think it was a great decision by Sony to default to the lowest 3D level of 3 (for real 3D material or simulated 3D) when you go back to try it again; at least you can get at it through "options" without stopping the movie.

I've never seen a 3D demo with BD players swapped, it's always been same-brand 3D-BD players playing through their respective TV's.

I watched a Sony BD preview of various movies at the beginning of the BD "21" and I can't tell any difference with SBM off or on except the first part of a clip shown from "Close Encounters" shows a lot of film grain, and I notice less with SBM on, but that's nothing to go by; it's just the only thing I noticed. This will take some time and since you have to chase through the menu to turn it on and off stopping play, it's a comparison I'll likely not make. There are two custom picture settings, and when you select a "custom" setting you get: Texture Remaster, Super Resolution, Smoothing, Contrast Remaster, Clear Black, FNR, BNR, MNR, Contrast, Brightness, Color and Hue. No SBM but maybe that's the same as smoothing/super resolution? Lots of variables to try.
post #33 of 681 Old 04-06-2011, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I need to pick this thing up cuz I gave my old one away(thinking it was already available at Best Buy). Problem is I've a $200 gift card for BB and they've no idea when they're gonna have it.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #34 of 681 Old 04-10-2011, 08:29 PM

I have a slight concern with the S780. I just read a review on another forum in which the reviewer specifies that because of the "active x drive" in the S780, it will not work with a Panasonic 3d plasma TV, which uses "REALD3D like the local movie theaters". I am strongly considering purchasing the S780, however, I also want to purchase the new Panasonic 50GT30 plasma. Has anyone ever heard of an incompability issue such as this? I figured as long as the plasma 3d tv and 3d glasses are the same brand, it shouldn't matter the brand of 3d blu ray player you have. I am wroing?
post #35 of 681 Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 AM

Can anyone comment on the drive noise of the 780 compared to the 770 please?

I tried a 770 and the drive noise was the loudest I have heard from any Sony Blu-Ray player, as well as having a very annoying high pitched sound when the drive was spinning at certain speeds. So I bought a 570.

I was considering replacing the 570 with a 580, but with the return of SBM on the 780 I'm now looking at that - but hoping the drive us quiet.
post #36 of 681 Old 04-16-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Best Buy finally got it in! Slapped down my $250 gift card, and now I'm gonna fire it up w/ my new Ten Commandments blu-ray...

post #37 of 681 Old 04-17-2011, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am considering purchasing either the Sony 780 or the LG BD670. They have similar features, but the Sony also has 2D>3D conversion, Skype, and super bit mapping. Did any of you consider buying this LG? If so, why did you go with Sony?

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive." -Sir Walter Scott

post #38 of 681 Old 04-17-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbddvm View Post

I am considering purchasing either the Sony 780 or the LG BD670. They have similar features, but the Sony also has 2D>3D conversion, Skype, and super bit mapping. Did any of you consider buying this LG? If so, why did you go with Sony?

Super Bit Mapping is the reason I'm considering one. They aren't available over here in the UK yet though.

Can anyone comment on my previous question about drive noise please?
post #39 of 681 Old 04-17-2011, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

Super Bit Mapping is the reason I'm considering one. They aren't available over here in the UK yet though.

Can anyone comment on my previous question about drive noise please?

Regarding your comment about drive noise ... perhaps you had the misfortune of purchasing a faulty blu-ray player as I've owned my BDP-S770 for several months now and my "drive" has always been silent. We sit ~6-7 feet away from our 770 and have never detected any noise from the player.
post #40 of 681 Old 04-17-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

The super bit mapping is the reason I went w/ the Sony. As far as drive noise, I'm not hearing it.

post #41 of 681 Old 04-17-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

The super bit mapping is the reason I went w/ the Sony. As far as drive noise, I'm not hearing it.

Is that available to all x8 series?
post #42 of 681 Old 04-17-2011, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Is that available to all x8 series?

Nope, only the S780
post #43 of 681 Old 04-25-2011, 01:27 AM

Can anyone tell me I am familiar with the menu set sony currently uses I know I want this or the 770 both similar but a little different. Can anyone tell me if this particular player can show the tagged album artwork with either MP4 or WMA music files? Or is it still only with mp3 like the previous model? Thanks so much. If anyone would check too I would be very appreciative as I plan on buying one of the two models this week. Thanks.
post #44 of 681 Old 04-25-2011, 02:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

I'll play devils advocate here , some features within sony players may only work on sony branded tv's starting with the bravia line, some features may work on other lcd/led brands though it may be a hit and miss affair for full working function..

plasmas can also be a hit and miss affair for certain functions to work correctly..

for plug'n'play all dvd/brd are the same, when it comes to advanced features it may not be so plug'n'play, you may need to stick within the brand to get full working features that are mentioned within product brief and manual
post #45 of 681 Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 AM

Just in case anyone does respond I am asking specifically about the artwork showing up for the album using a USB device not off of disc or anything. Thanks again.
post #46 of 681 Old 04-25-2011, 11:04 AM

Probably going back to the S770. While the BD/DVD playback has been solid, I am not too happy with the streaming on the S780. While watching Netflix or Amazon on Demand the player keeps buffering to the point that it is unwatchable. I have tested the player with a wired connection and the problem dissapears. So the issue is with the Wifi. I never had any problems with the S770 streaming over Wifi so I did a quick comparison between the 2 players and discovered that the S780 has dropped the dual antenna, and the range was lowered from 5.4ghz to 2.4. I think that's the reason why the streaming sux. Also, the S780 dropped the internal memory, and the remote is not back lit. All of these were available on the S770. The super bit mapping, for which I got this player for, did not make me see any PQ improvements over the S770. In fact, in some BD's I think the S770 looked better (personal opinion). DVD upscaling, was def. better on the S770 as well. In the audio dept, I think the S770 is a bit better. Dialog is easier to hear on the S770 then on the S780.

Hope this helps!
post #47 of 681 Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

Probably going back to the S770. While the BD/DVD playback has been solid, I am not too happy with the streaming on the S780. While watching Netflix or Amazon on Demand the player keeps buffering to the point that it is unwatchable. I have tested the player with a wired connection and the problem dissapears. So the issue is with the Wifi. I never had any problems with the S770 streaming over Wifi so I did a quick comparison between the 2 players and discovered that the S780 has dropped the dual antenna, and the range was lowered from 5.4ghz to 2.4. I think that's the reason why the streaming sux. Also, the S780 dropped the internal memory, and the remote is not back lit. All of these were available on the S770. The super bit mapping, for which I got this player for, did not make me see any PQ improvements over the S770. In fact, in some BD's I think the S770 looked better (personal opinion). DVD upscaling, was def. better on the S770 as well. In the audio dept, I think the S770 is a bit better. Dialog is easier to hear on the S770 then on the S780.

Hope this helps!

I can't speak to the wi-fi, mine's hard wired and works fine that way(I get roughly 55mbps down/8mbps up). I can say the PQ is at least as good as my Sammy BDP-2550 was(which was VERY good). The start-up time rocks, lightning fast. Overall, for $250 I'm very satisfied w/ this player(although I can't compare it to the 770).

post #48 of 681 Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The 780 has the same issue as the 580 regarding wireless.... with only one antenna, the range is shorter and the reception is a noticeably poorer by about 50%...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #49 of 681 Old 04-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I've currently got a Panasonic BD35 (from 2008...) which has served me well since. As much as I'd love to buy an Oppo BDP-95, I just can't pull the trigger on a $500 player. I've been looking into the 770 and 780, and have a couple questions/comments:

If anyone's used the BD35, can anyone comment on load times? It takes quite a while for the BD35, but it's nothing painful like my BD-P1000.

Is there a remote command using Harmony that goes directly to "pop-up menu?"

Has anyone used the DLNA functionality on ethernet with something like PS3 Media Server?

Any comments on the DVD upscaling? Personally I still use my Toshiba HD-A30 for DVD playback.

Thanks for your help! I kind of wish they'd retained the "flat" look of the front panel (770), rather than the recessed buttons of the 780.
post #50 of 681 Old 04-28-2011, 12:11 PM

I have gone back to the S770 for the reasons I posted above a few days ago. The S780 BD/DVD playback is solid, PQ/AQ is great. However, Streaming over wifi sucked and with my current setup, wired connection was not an option. I don't have any streaming issues with my S770 over wireless. And It could be just me, but I do think that PQ and AQ on the S770 is slighty better then the S780, even though the S780 has super bit mapping. Overall, I think the S770 has a more premium feel then the S780.

To answer the questions of the poster above, I used to own a Panny 35 and the booting and loading speed of both the S770 and the S780 are light years ahead of the Panny 35. And yes, there are codes for the Harmony remote to go directly to the pop up menu. (I own a Harmony remote). The DVD upscaling is great on the S770. On the S780 is good enough, but I do think is better on the S770 and it also better then the Panny 35. I can't comment on the DNLA because I have never tried it.
post #51 of 681 Old 04-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

I have gone back to the S770 for the reasons I posted above a few days ago. The S780 BD/DVD playback is solid, PQ/AQ is great. However, Streaming over wifi sucked and with my current setup, wired connection was not an option. I don't have any streaming issues with my S770 over wireless. And It could be just me, but I do think that PQ and AQ on the S770 is slighty better then the S780, even though the S780 has super bit mapping. Overall, I think the S770 has a more premium feel then the S780.

To answer the questions of the poster above, I used to own a Panny 35 and the booting and loading speed of both the S770 and the S780 are light years ahead of the Panny 35. And yes, there are codes for the Harmony remote to go directly to the pop up menu. (I own a Harmony remote). The DVD upscaling is great on the S770. On the S780 is good enough, but I do think is better on the S770 and it also better then the Panny 35. I can't comment on the DNLA because I have never tried it.

Thanks a lot for the quick response! There's a refurb 770 on Sony Style for $170 + tax, which I may just have to do. The lack of pop-up on the BD35/Harmony is probably my biggest annoyance... even more so than load times
post #52 of 681 Old 05-01-2011, 07:55 PM

I just picked up one of these, let it update to the latest firmware. For the most part I'm pretty happy with the performance, PQ etc.

Just one odd complaint: (very trivial)

When I play SACD's in the unit, the panel display won't show the current Track number. It shows "T 0:00" where the numbers are the time into the current track.

Is this happening to others? Or do I have a defective unit?
post #53 of 681 Old 05-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
It's a "feature" that's common to S770 and now S780, as well. LOL!!

I contacted Sony support of this shortly after getting my S770 to request this to be fixed. Their response then was to use display device to monitor track information. Typical rubbish response I reckon.

Front panel track information is fine for CD, however.
post #54 of 681 Old 05-02-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

It's a "feature" that's common to S770 and now S780, as well. LOL!!

I contacted Sony support of this shortly after getting my S770 to request this to be fixed. Their response then was to use display device to monitor track information. Typical rubbish response I reckon.

Front panel track information is fine for CD, however.

Ah so.

And yes, I just confirmed the front panel track number is displayed correctly for red book CD's, but (as mentioned) not for SACD/DSD formatted recordings on the S780.

Am I alone in hating the current trend that the HT monitor must be used to navigate music on more and more devices?
post #55 of 681 Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anybody compare this Sony with the Panny DMP-BDT210? The new Unifer chip in the Panny has gotten good revues.
post #56 of 681 Old 05-06-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post
Anybody compare this Sony with the Panny DMP-BDT210? The new Unifer chip in the Panny has gotten good revues.
I had the 210 for about a week exchanged for the sammy 6700 both decent now own and keeping a 770 love it has everything I need except 2nd hdmi can live without itl

One question whats the closest thing on this unit you get to source direct havent hat too much time with it yet;

post #57 of 681 Old 05-07-2011, 10:03 AM

Recently I did a blu-ray player testing. Thought of sharing my experience in this amazing forum.

Here are the players that I have tested.

PS3
BDP-570
BDP-270
BDP-770
BDP-780

Before I get to details let me give you my testing equipment info.

Video - I have Olevia 747i professionally calibrated display (Have 24hz capability) and very happy with PS3 (40gb) since early 2008.
Audio - Have Denon 3808 receiver, Magnepan MMG, MMGW , Two 12 inch subwoofers.
Connected via HDMI only - 3 feet cables (mono price cables).

Recently wanted to get a player that can play SACD with DSD output and also have Pandora. This is where my troubles started.

Got BDP-570 – I was more amazed by the Blu-ray and DVD picture quality than SACD and Pandora. It was more 3Dish. Avatar, Kung-fu Panda, Cars, Speed Racer, Groundhog Day , Up, wall-e, ice age dawn of the dinosaurs whatever movie I play , they look amazing. It blows away PS3 in image depth and in some cases color (more neutral). Chronicles of Narnia series 3rd picture was at its best. Setup was in (ycbcr 4:4:4) , Sound was amazing (HD Bit stream ). In my setup I could clearly hear the difference in PCM vs HD bit stream. btw, My PS3 do not have HD bit stream capability.

I tried BDP-270 for other room hoping it should be good for blu-ray and DVD. Well that was the worst player comparing to PS3 and BDP-570.

After seeing the above results and whatHifi.uk(http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-bdp-s770) review - I tried BDP-770 to see what improvements it will bring. 770 is a detail monster. But for some reason it did not have the depth of 570. And also got some eye strain watching any movie into one hour or so. Same happened to few others in the family and friends.

Finally tried BDP-780 – well this player has the depth of 570 and details of 770. Setting that brought more depth was( Custom1 – mode Film ). When ever there is sky, water , chrome metal, glass , glossy finish , lights, light fall on objects - 780 is a way better. It could be because super bit mapping. Other colors I don't see much difference. Camera movements also better than 570 and 770.

From picture wise , I am Very Happy with 780.

05/09/11 Update :

Last night had chance to test with 570 head to head to conclude on sound. 780 sounded slightly better (not sure how this is possible as bit stream is supposed to sound the same - may be less jitter could be the reason).

Finally interface and youtube, cracle, videos are also faster compared to 570 and 770. (using wireless connection).

Very happy with 780 better picture and sound.
post #58 of 681 Old 05-07-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI_13 View Post

Recently I did a blu-ray player testing. Thought of sharing my experience in this amazing forum.

Thanks for sharing.

Having owned and used the PS3, 350, 370, 760, 570 and 770 I'm glad to hear that the 780 which I have on order (and might get next week) should be the best so far.
post #59 of 681 Old 05-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anybody know if the 780 will play multi channel SACD's? I have asked many retailers and even Sony themselves, and it seems everyone has a different answer.
I have seen the 780 box at Best Buy, and it is marked SACD, but nothing about multi channel.
Now I have been comparing this unit to the Oppo 93 and the Yamaha BDA 1000, both do play multi channel SACD's, but are double the price of the 7is80.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

BTW..I have an older Sony dvd/cd/sacd player, and when a sacd is being played it only displays the time, no track numbers or listings. Guess this is a Sony thing.
post #60 of 681 Old 05-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
This forum has so many players listed, that I actually steered clear of here while choosing my very first BRP, lol. I asked some members in the Theory frum for some help, and then did some research and came up with the 780 as my choise of best value BRP to suit my needs. I just let them know what I chose (just ordered one minutes ago), and then came here to find this thread . Anyway, I thought this description might be helpful for reference:

Disc Compatibility

Disc Compatibility: The Sony BDP-S780 Blu-ray disc player is compatible with many disc types:
Disc Type Disc Description
Blu-ray BD-ROM, BD-R (ver.1.1/1.2/1.3), BD-RE (ver.2.1)
DVD DVD_ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
CD CD-Audio, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, Super Audio CD

Region Code: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. The BDP-S780 is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1.

Copy Protection: Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.

Blu-ray Disc Overview: Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a new high-definition disc format designed to take advantage of today's high quality HDTVs. The resolution is up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) and the data transfer rate is up to 54 mbps. Blu-ray Disc discs and players offer several advantages over the standard DVD format:

* Better Picture Quality: Blu-ray Disc is a true high-definition format offering video at 720p, 1080i, or 1080p resolution. While standard DVDs look very good on an HDTV, they don't provide a high-definition signal (not even when you use an up-converting DVD player). Blu-ray Disc delivers an extraordinarily sharp, clean, detailed picture, with deeper, richer colors.
* Better Sound Quality: In addition to the same multi-channel sound formats you're accustomed to with DVD (Dolby Digital and DTS), Blu-ray Disc offers Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, and uncompressed 7.1 channel PCM.
* Much Greater Storage Capacity: What makes Blu-ray Disc's superior picture and sound possible is the much higher storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc discs. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25 gigabytes of data, over five times the amount a standard DVD can hold. Dual-layer Blu-ray Discs hold 50 gigabytes, which equates to nine hours of High Definition or 23 hours of Standard Definition video, plus high-resolution multi-channel audio and the added features and material that require multiple discs with standard DVD.
* Backward Compatible: To ensure backward-compatibility with your existing library of discs, Blu-ray Disc players use a dual-laser mechanism: a blue laser for playing high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and a conventional red laser for playing DVDs and audio CDs.

Note: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet via the rear panel Ethernet terminal.

AVCHD: AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) is a high definition digital video camera format used to record in high definition or standard definition on DVD, using an efficient data compression coding technology. The format is designed to compress video and audio (Dolby Digital or Linear PCM) data, enabling a high definition video signal shot on a digital video camera recorder to be recorded on DVD discs, in the same way as it would be for a standard definition signal.

MPEG Playback: The Sony Blu-ray disc player supports playback of MPEG (1-2-4) video files recorded on BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-R, and CD-RW discs.

JPEG Playback: This unit will play JPEG still picture files recorded onto BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-R, and CD-RW discs using the players' front-panel USB port. Still images on your disc can be viewed in a Slide-Show as well as rotated 90-degrees left or right.

MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The BDP-S780 supports MP3/WMA/AAC audio files recorded on BD-R/RE, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs. When stopped and restarted, playback resumes at the same point as long as the tray hasn't been opened and the player hasn't been turned off.

SACD: Super Audio CD use a technology called Direct Stream Digital (DSD) to convert music into a digital signal that can be stored on a disc. Compared to the traditional PCM method (the technology used for CD), DSD offers a much higher resolution by following more closely the original waveform of music. With a frequency response of over 100kHz and a dynamic range over 120dB across the audible frequency range - some 64 times higher resolution then CD - Super Audio CD offers music reproduction that reveals details you just cannot hear on a normal CD.\\
Video Features

16-Bit Video Processing: The Sony BDP-S780 features 16-bit video processing for premium picture quality.

Video Outputs: The Sony BDP-S780 Blu-ray disc player features one high-definition HDMI output and two standard-definition video outputs (Component/composite).

* HDMI (ver.1.4): The BDP-S780's HDMI output simplifies A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio in one cable. The HDMI output is version 1.4, which supports 3D video content. The HDMI resolution can be fixed at 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, or set to Auto, which selects the highest resolution accepted by your television.
* Component Video: The component video output supports 480p for DVD playback and 480i for Blu-ray.
* Composite Video: The composite video output will only output 480i, no matter the source.

1080p HDMI Output with DVD Upscaling: Through the HDMI output, the BDP-S780 is capable of upscaling the resolution of your standard DVDs. Output options include Auto (highest resolution accepted by the TV), 1080p (60 Hz video or 24 Hz), 1080i, or 720p. If necessary the output resolution can also be set to 480p or 480i.

3D-Ready: The Sony BDP-S780 lets you enjoy 3D Blu-ray disc movies in full HD 1080p.

Note: 3D viewing requires compatible 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D emitter & glasses, and a high-speed HDMI cable (supporting at least 10.2 Gbps) connection.

2D-3D Conversion: The Sony BDP-S780 can convert 2D (two-dimensional) video content into simulated 3D (three-dimensional) video when connected to a 3D-ready TV, with 3D-glasses.

24p True Cinema: Movies are typically recorded on film with a frame rate of 24 frames per second. When a movie is transferred to Blu-ray Disc at 24 frames per second the BDP-S780 will output that signal to the TV (if the TV will accept the 1080p/24 format) with no need for conversion.

Deep Color: The Sony Blu-ray player supports a color depth of up to 12 bits. Connecting the player and a TV that supports Deep Color via HDMI allows more accurate color reproduction than when connecting it to a TV that does not support Deep Color. The Deep Color function can be set to 10-bit, 12-bit, Auto, or Off.

x.v.Color: The BDP-S780 supports x.v.Color, meaning it's ready for x.v.Color discs when they become available in the future.

Screen Settings: The Sony BDP-S780 features the following screen settings:

* TV Type: You can select a 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected Television's screen aspect ratio.
* Screen Format: You can select the display configuration for a 4:3 screen picture on a 16:9 wide screen television. You can select from the following:
o Original: select when connected to a TV with a wide mode function; displays a 4:3 screen picture in 16:9 aspect ratio even on a wide-screen TV
o Fixed Aspect Ratio: changes the picture size to fit the screen size with the original picture aspect ratio
* DVD Aspect Ratio: You can select the display configuration for playback of 16:9 screen pictures on a 4:3 screen TV. You can select from Letter Box or Pan & Scan.

Video Settings: The BDP-S780 offers the following video adjustments:

* Picture Quality Mode: You can select from 3 preset pictures settings (Standard, Brighter, Theater) for different lighting environment.
* FNR: Reduces the random noise appearing in the picture.
* BNR: Reduces the mosaic-like block noise in the picture.
* MNR: Reduces minor noise around the picture outlines (mosquito noise)
* I/P Noise Reduction: Improves the picture quality of Internet entertainment.

Cinema Conversion Mode: The Sony Blu-ray player offers two Cinema Conversion Modes - Auto and Video.

* Auto: The player automatically detects whether the material is video-based or film-based, and switches to the appropriate conversion method.
* Video: The conversion method suited for video-based material will always be selected regardless of the content.

BonusView: The BonusView feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
Audio Features

Surround Sound Decoders: The BDP-S780 has built-in Dolby Digital and DTS surround processors; multi-channel PCM Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, and DTS-HD Master Audio are output through the HDMI jack (when encoded on the Blu-ray Disc).

* Dolby Digital Plus: Dolby Digital Plus was developed as an extension to Dolby Digital. The audio coding technology supports 7.1 channel surround sound. Dolby Digital Plus also includes the standard Dolby Digital bit stream and is compatible with all current Dolby Digital processors using the optical or coaxial digital output.
* Dolby TrueHD: Dolby TrueHD is a lossless coding technology that supports up to 8 channels of multi-channel surround sound for the next generation optical discs. The reproduced sound is true to the original source bit-for-bit.
* DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: DTS-HD High Resolution Audio supports a maximum sampling frequency of 96 kHz, and 7.1 multi-channel surround. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 6 Mbps, with a lossy compression.
* DTS-HD Master Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 24.5 Mbps and uses lossless compression (Lossless), and DTS-HD Master Audio corresponds to a maximum sampling frequency of 192 kHz, and maximum of 7.1ch.

Audio Settings: The BDP-S780 allows you to adjust the following audio settings:

* AV SYNC: synchronize the picture and sound by delaying the audio output in relation to the picture output; 0 to 120 milliseconds
* Audio DRC: The player offers three dynamic range compression levels - Auto, On, Off.

Audio Outputs: The Sony BDP-S780 Blu-ray disc player features two digital audio outputs (optical, coaxial) and one analog audio output (RCA)

* Digital Audio Outputs: The BDP-S780 is equipped with a coaxial digital output. The Audio menu allows you to select the digital audio format that is passed through the coaxial digital output. Settings allow you to transfer Dolby Digital and/or DTS sound tracks, or down-mix surround bitstreams to 2-channel PCM audio. The maximum sampling frequency can also be adjusted; 96 kHz/24-bit or 48 kHz/16-bit.
* Analog Audio: There is a pair of stereo analog RCA outputs.

USB/Internet Functions

LAN (100) Port: Connect the player's rear panel LAN (100) terminal to your Internet modem or router using a CAT-5 network cable (Ethernet cable sold separately) to access Internet video and music content or update the unit's software.

Built-in Wi-Fi: In addition to the unit's Ethernet port (LAN) connection, you can also easily connect wirelessly to your home's broadband network using the Blu-ray player's built-in Wi-Fi.

Note: Requires home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.

USB Ports: The Sony BDP-S780 features a front and rear panel USB (type-A) port:

* Front Panel: The front-panel USB port allows you to play photo (JPEG), videos (MPEG), and music (MP3/WMA/AAC) files on a connected USB device. The player can recognize Mass Storage Class (MSC) Devices that are FAT-compatible and Still Image Capture Devices (SICD) class devices. The player can recognize up to 5 folders and 500 files per folder.
* Rear Panel: The BDP-S780 features a rear panel USB Type-A port which allows you to enjoy additional content (such as BonusView) on certain Blue-ray Disc titles. Some BD-ROMs have bonus content and other data which can be downloaded to an inserted USB Flash Drive (minimum 1 GB recommended, sold separately).

Note: Not all USB devices are supported.

DLNA Certified: DLNA allows you to share music (MP3/WMA), video (MPEG2), and photo (JPEG) files between DLNA compatible devices using your DLNA home network and the Sony BDP-S780. The player can recognize up to 20 folders and 999 filers per folder from a DLNA server. A DLNA network can be setup hardwired (using Ethernet port) or wirelessly (built-in WiFi).

Note: Requires home network and DLNA enabled device (such as a Windows PC).

Party Streaming: You can play music in other rooms simultaneously by connecting Sony products which are compatible with DLNA and the Party Streaming function.

BRAVIA Internet Video: The Sony BDP-S780 lets you instantly access millions of online entertainment choices from BRAVIA Internet Video. Using your home network and broadband connection, you can access a wide variety of movies, videos, music, and more. This can be done through the Blu-ray player's Ethernet terminal or built-in WiFi. Currently BRAVIA Internet Video offers the following online content (as of May 2011).
BRAVIA Internet Video Entertainment Library
amazon instant video Berliner Philharmonic blip. TV concierge.com Crackle CinemaNow
Dailymotion eHow epicurious Fear.net golflink.com Howcast
HuluPlus Livestrong myplay Netflix NPR MoshCam.com
Picasa Photobucket Pandora Qriocity Singing Fool Shutterfly
Slacker Sony Pictures Television Style.com Tara Stiles ustudio vTuner
Video Detective Videocast.com Vudu Wired YouTube Videos Yahoo!

Note: BRAVIA Internet Video Requires home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice (visit Sony.com for latest information regarding online content).

Skype Video Chat: Built-in Skype capability makes it easy to communicated with friends and family all over the globe with internet voice and video calls (for free). Simply add a compatible microphone/camera (sold separately) to make Skype-to-Skype video calls or Skype-to-phone calls through your compatible Sony TV.

Note: Requires USB webcam. Broadband speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD). Video quality may vary. Subject to Skype's terms and conditions

Web Browser: Once you have connected to the Internet via the Blu-ray player's Ethernet terminal or built-in WiFi, you can browse select websites (text-based only) by entering a URL address. Some web-pages may be to large for download.

Note: Requires a broadband internet connection. This is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use Sony's Bravia Internet Video service.

Gracenote Metadata Service: The Gracenote Metadata service instantly gives you access to detailed information about the movies you are watching through the Blu-ray disc player internet connectivity. his easy-to-navigate service displays information such as cast information, genre, jacket art and more right on the TV screen. You can also access select internet apps including YouTube and Qriocity to find related entertainment

Note: Requires Internet connectivity. Some disc titles may not be supported by the Gracenote service.

BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband Internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The Sony Blu-ray player features an Ethernet port and built-in WiFi to connect to the Internet via your home network and features rear-panel USB port for additional storage.

Note: You must have a minimum 1GB USB memory device inserted in the unit's rear-panel USB port in order to download content from BD-Live.

Convenience Features

Quick Start: This feature shortens the startup time from standby mode. When the Quick Start Mode is turned on the standby power consumption is higher.

Auto Display: The player automatically displays information on your TV screen when changing the viewing titles, picture modes, audio signals, etc..

Parental Control: The Sony BDP-S780 offers Parental Control settings to limit BD, DVD, and streamed Internet video according to the age of the users. You can also Allow or Block all unrated Internet video. The control settings are protected by a custom 4-digit password. You can also lock the disc tray to prevent it from being opened by mistake.

Dimmer: You can adjust the lighting of the unit's front panel display from Bright, Dark, or Off.

Screen Saver: The screen saver image appears when you do not use the player for more than 10 minutes while an on-screen display, such as the home menu, is displayed on your TV screen. The screen saver image helps prevent your display devices from becoming damaged.
Remote Control

Multi-brand Remote: The supplied remote operates this unit and a Sony TV's power on/off, input select, and volume up/down. The remote is also pre-programmed with power, input, and volume controls for several other brand TVs.

HDMI Control (BRAVIA Sync): Sony components compatible with the HDMI Control function can be controlled via the HDMI connection. This includes convenient features like One-Touch Play and System Power-Off.

Mobile Device Control: You can turn your iPhone, iPad, or compatible Android phone into a versatile remote when you download the free "Media Remote" app. Enjoy basic remote functions, a full QWERTY keyboard, plus search for information about the movies you're watching on YouTube, Wikipedia, Twitter, and many BRAVIA Internet Video services.

Note: Application must be downloaded from the iTunes application store or Android Market application store. Check Android Market from your device for compatibility. Requires that the Blu-ray Disc Player and remote device be connected to the same wireless network with the remote device connected through an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended).
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S780 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi
Gear in this thread - S580 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page