AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolo456 View Post

I got it working!!!

I phoned Sony and HTC, not really helpful I must say. HTC even had me reset my phone 
So out of desperation I started playing around whit het network and connected the S780 to the network using cable instead of wifi, and guess what it worked. Now I can see my S780 with my phone and the S780 can see the PC. But the Phone does not see the PC (pc is now on wifi). Seems the problem is with the wifi and the phone. If I connect the PC to the network using wire the phone will see the PC.

Glad to hear you finally got this working!

LB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 681 Old 04-11-2012, 04:09 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

Yes for HDMI. IMO you should do a surround sound test between the two options. I've got my S780 set at surround and seems to work fine with my Denon Receiver. I get plenty of surround sound effect out of my Blu rays.

There are plenty of surround sound test clips on Youtube you can stream to the S780 and use to test which Downmix configuration sounds best for your components. Here are a few to get you started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=qlwXv9VXY80
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62iu3...eature=related

I tried playing those clips and I honestly can't tell the difference. Does this player support 5.1 sound through Youtube because my receiver is outputting Pro Logic II only?
post #633 of 681 Old 04-11-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker25 View Post

I tried playing those clips and I honestly can't tell the difference. Does this player support 5.1 sound through Youtube because my receiver is outputting Pro Logic II only?

You may be right. After checking again looks like my Receiver is doing all the work via "PCM Multi Channel In" from Youtube streamed via the S780 over HDMI. So the 5.1 surround effect is very good with these Youtube clips on my 5.1 system ( Denon 3311Ci)

Either way I still recommend you do the Downmix test with your Blu ray discs to see which Downmix setting is best for you. Like I mentioned earlier I've got mine set at surround with good results.

LB
post #634 of 681 Old 04-11-2012, 07:21 AM

Can anyone else hear the drive clicking while the disc is playing, especially after rewinding or fast forwarding? Once the drive settles down after the first few chapters it's very quiet apart from these slight clicking sounds and if you try rewinding or fast forwarding a bit the clicking seems worse. It's only really noticeable when the volume is low. Try playing a movie from the middle or so, rewind or fast forward a little bit and tell me if you can hear the drive clicking.
post #635 of 681 Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 PM

After watching the Iron Lady on blu ray, I pressed the stop button on the remote and for some unknown reason, the entire Sony interface menu was a different color. The background looked orange. I thought that maybe an firmware update was performed during the movie, but I knew this couldn't happen. The fact that the colors were different than before told me the player was screwed up. For example, the Netlix app was blue instead of red. Turning the player off and on again fixed the problem. Has this happened to anyone before?
post #636 of 681 Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

After watching the Iron Lady on blu ray, I pressed the stop button on the remote and for some unknown reason, the entire Sony interface menu was a different color. The background looked orange. I thought that maybe an firmware update was performed during the movie, but I knew this couldn't happen. The fact that the colors were different than before told me the player was screwed up. For example, the Netlix app was blue instead of red. Turning the player off and on again fixed the problem. Has this happened to anyone before?

me too, but i don´t know why....
post #637 of 681 Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

Happened to me once too.
post #638 of 681 Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 AM

Hello. I have a question about blu ray 3D product SONY BDP-S780. I saw that his menu when you play a 3D blu ray disc must be set diagonal size that 3DTV have. My question is how to set if using a 3D Full HD projector and want to display an image diagonal 6m? I read a review that those who took the test were intentionally set a picture for a larger TV diagonal when the TV diagonal is smaller and smaller diagonal for larger TVs and plyerul not play properly the 3D image, was not so good. When you have correctly set diagonal TV all was fine. I think this function does not cause problems when trying to display a large diagonal projector? Can anyone answer this question? Thank you.
post #639 of 681 Old 04-12-2012, 10:29 AM

can anyone comment or confirm a loud drive noise when loading and or watching BD's. i got my S780 a few weeks back, and for most BD's the drive makes a loud noise, like you can actualy heard the driv spinning the disc, interesting thing though is during the playback of 3D blu's the drive noise is non-existent, and with regular dvd;s its loud but not as loud as BD's. i thought at one point i had it fized, i went from qucik start to turning off quck start, after turning the player on and off the drive noise was gone, the next time i turned it on it was back again for BD's, ive also tried tunring off BD live and that didnt seem to work either, their are a few BD's i have come across that make no noise in the drive, but i would say 98% of them do

have others found this,and if so have you found a fix

thanks

unfortunately i have sensitive hearing and i can hear over the movie sometimes, espicially at night when the family is asleep and i have to keep the volume donw

any help would be appreciated
post #640 of 681 Old 04-14-2012, 07:41 AM

wp34gsh, I think you are referring to the same type of noise as Smoker25 does.

I can confirm you that I hear the same noise. It happens when there is disk activity (not necessarily when you are watching a movie).
When the unit enters standby mode, you may also hear that noise.

I don't like it either. Yes, the noise is disturbing when the volume is low, but it is not a malfunction. I wonder if S770 has it too, or if it's a bug in latest models. Maybe a S770 owner can tell us.

The same kind of noise (but different pitch) can be heard on Samsung BD-C5500. It's a little softer, though.
post #641 of 681 Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troperistera View Post

I can confirm you that I hear the same noise. It happens when there is disk activity (not necessarily when you are watching a movie).

I don't like it either. Yes, the noise is disturbing when the volume is low, but it is not a malfunction. I wonder if S770 has it too, or if it's a bug in latest models. Maybe a S770 owner can tell us.

The same kind of noise (but different pitch) can be heard on Samsung BD-C5500. It's a little softer, though.

I compared the Sony S780 and the Panasonic BDP-210 with the same Blu-ray disk and then with a DVD.

Both make the same sounds e.g., when loading the disc and when initially loading the blu-ray and DVD software and reading the disc. Both are equally quiet ( but not completely silent if you get really close to the player) when playing the movie itself. I also hear the disc being read if I fast forward for skip/prev to another chapter.

IMO and while player noise is relevant, what I heard with these two players is what I consider to be normal sounds with any player that I have ever had, blu-ray or DVD.

I know that on occasion the disc itself may be damaged or is not sitting correctly in the tray and while the disc will startup that sound can be alarming enough for you to check it out.

LB
post #642 of 681 Old 04-14-2012, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
any of you 780 cats looking to move up to the 790? do you think its worth it?
post #643 of 681 Old 04-14-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post

any of you 780 cats looking to move up to the 790? do you think its worth it?

I personally don't see any compelling reason for anyone who currently owns a 570/580/770/780 to upgrade to the 4K capable 790. However, I have yet to see the 790 myself. My opinion is based upon written "specs" only. Not sure where Sony is going with the 4K approach....or when anyone else like content providers for home viewing will jump on the 4K bandwagon either.

LB
post #644 of 681 Old 04-14-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troperistera View Post

The noise I'm talking about actually happens while you're watching the movie. I wasn't talking about loading sounds which are louder than they were on my old LG, but still normal.

What I'm talking about is slight clicking which is audible during normal movie playback, especially after you've just done a little bit of rewinding or fast forwarding. Try playing a movie from the middle and you should hear it.

It's not really noticeable when you turn up the volume, but since I live in an apartment I watch movies late at night at low volume and the clicking sound is audible especially during quiet scenes.
post #645 of 681 Old 04-14-2012, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
thank you for the feedback.

i've two 780s and im basing my feelings on the "specs" of the 790. other than the 4K which i can not take advantage of, the interface is pretty much the same. the design is nice and ive read the unit has some "heft" to it which is always a good feeling with top of the line electronics, however with all of that said, im not sold on the 790.

its still early in its run so ill look at more feedback from new owners.

Quote:

I personally don't see any compelling reason for anyone who currently owns a 570/580/770/780 to upgrade to the 4K capable 790. However, I have yet to see the 790 myself. My opinion is based upon written "specs" only. Not sure where Sony is going with the 4K approach....or when anyone else like content providers for home viewing will jump on the 4K bandwagon either.

post #646 of 681 Old 04-15-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The noise I'm talking about actually happens while you're watching the movie. I wasn't talking about loading sounds which are louder than they were on my old LG, but still normal.

What I'm talking about is slight clicking which is audible during normal movie playback, especially after you've just done a little bit of rewinding or fast forwarding. Try playing a movie from the middle and you should hear it.

It's not really noticeable when you turn up the volume, but since I live in an apartment I watch movies late at night at low volume and the clicking sound is audible especially during quiet scenes.

Wondering if something is wrong with the disc you are using or your system. I don't hear the sound you describe. I turned off the movie volume then selected forward, prev, skip chapters etc. on a couple of different discs and nada--no clicking or any other unusual sounds.

LB
post #647 of 681 Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Can anyone else hear the drive clicking while the disc is playing, especially after rewinding or fast forwarding? Once the drive settles down after the first few chapters it's very quiet apart from these slight clicking sounds and if you try rewinding or fast forwarding a bit the clicking seems worse. It's only really noticeable when the volume is low. Try playing a movie from the middle or so, rewind or fast forward a little bit and tell me if you can hear the drive clicking.

Yip mine is identical...a very quiet mechanical noise. Both of mine did it.
post #648 of 681 Old 04-15-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpyBloke View Post

Yip mine is identical...a very quiet mechanical noise. Both of mine did it.

Just curious...so while you are watching a movie on both your S780's and not selecting any disc commands your player makes random clicking mechanical noises too? ( not talking about the faint spinning disc sound)

LB
post #649 of 681 Old 04-15-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:

mine isnt clicking sounds, mine is like a buzzong as the movie plays, on some discs the nose is non existant, but others its either really loud and can be heard over the volume and othjers ntimes its qieter but still noticeable especially wiht low volume like at night when i have to keep the volume down cause everyone is sleeping.

its really annoying at times, the clicking when changing chpaters or loading im used to, it doesnt bother me. its the buzzing as a disc plays, it usually is a 2D blu or a dvd, most 3d blus are quiet as a mouse
post #650 of 681 Old 04-15-2012, 05:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Just curious...so while you are watching a movie on both your S780's and not selecting any disc commands your player makes random clicking mechanical noises too? ( not talking about the faint spinning disc sound)

Only got one...second replaced the first

Yes when playing I can hear very very quiet clicks as, I assume, the laser is moving. As I say, both were/are identical.
post #651 of 681 Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 AM

Last night I encountered the first real problem with this player. In the middle of watching a BD movie I fast forwarded a little bit and after pressing play again the movie played for a few secs and then the player completely froze with the picture still on the screen like if I had pressed pause. None of the remote buttons worked and after about 30-40 seconds the player simply rebooted itself and everything was back to normal again.

Anyone encounter a similar freezing issue?
post #652 of 681 Old 04-17-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpyBloke View Post

Only got one...second replaced the first

Yes when playing I can hear very very quiet clicks as, I assume, the laser is moving. As I say, both were/are identical.

I dragged out my old S570 and listened for clicking (while viewing a movie and not making menu or disc selections with Volume turned off) and compared the same to my 780. Other than the low disc spinning hum/noise I don't hear anything else.

LB
post #653 of 681 Old 04-17-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last night I encountered the first real problem with this player. In the middle of watching a BD movie I fast forwarded a little bit and after pressing play again the movie played for a few secs and then the player completely froze with the picture still on the screen like if I had pressed pause. None of the remote buttons worked and after about 30-40 seconds the player simply rebooted itself and everything was back to normal again.

Anyone encounter a similar freezing issue?

This has happened to me a few times before. The software on the player and/or the disc can hang/or freeze the player. The few times this happened to me in the past I just reset the player( hold down the power button on the front of the unit for 10-20 seconds until the player reboots)

Likewise if you've filled up the memory on the USB stick that can cause the player to freeze too.
"To delete data in the USB memory, select “Erase BD Data” in the (Video), and press ENTER. All data stored in the buda folder will be erased."

LB
post #654 of 681 Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:

I dragged out my old S570 and listened for clicking (while viewing a movie and not making menu or disc selections with Volume turned off) and compared the same to my 780. Other than the low disc spinning hum/noise I don't hear anything else.

I was watching The Million Dollar Baby last night and didn't notice any clicking at all so I guess it depends on the disc.
post #655 of 681 Old 04-17-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:

This has happened to me a few times before. The software on the player and/or the disc can hang/or freeze the player. The few times this happened to me in the past I just reset the player( hold down the power button on the front of the unit for 10-20 seconds until the player reboots)

Likewise if you've filled up the memory on the USB stick that can cause the player to freeze too.

Thanks, you've just put my mind at ease. I was watching The Da Vinci code when it happened and it's a BD-Live disc but I don't have a USB stick plugged in so maybe that's what caused the freezing, although it's strange that it would happen in the middle of the film and not the menu or something.
post #656 of 681 Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, you've just put my mind at ease. I was watching The Da Vinci code when it happened and it's a BD-Live disc but I don't have a USB stick plugged in so maybe that's what caused the freezing, although it's strange that it would happen in the middle of the film and not the menu or something.

The BDP-S780 doesn't have any on-board memory ( One of the complaints when it first came out). It needs memory to store the BD Live data/updates as well as special Blu ray disc features etc. While I can't know if this is what caused your system to freeze or not, its probably a good idea to add some memory when you can via a USB Flash Drive.

If you are interested, I purchased an inexpensive 8 GB high speed USB for $12 on Amazon.com ( rated almost five stars by over 400 customers) and has worked without issue for me since I installed it. You really don't need 8GBs but at this price why not.
Patriot Xporter XT Boost 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive PEF8GUSB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

LB
post #657 of 681 Old 04-17-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:

The BDP-S780 doesn't have any on-board memory ( One of the complaints when it first came out). It needs memory to store the BD Live data/updates as well as special Blu ray disc features etc. While I can't know if this is what caused your system to freeze or not, its probably a good idea to add some memory when you can via a USB Flash Drive.

If you are interested, I purchased an inexpensive 8 GB high speed USB for $12 on Amazon.com ( rated almost five stars by over 400 customers) and has worked without issue for me since I installed it. You really don't need 8GBs but at this price why not.
Patriot Xporter XT Boost 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive PEF8GUSB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

I have two USB sticks - 16GB & 8GB. I hardly ever use the 8GB one so I'll just use that one. Is it safe to leave it plugged in all the time?
post #658 of 681 Old 04-17-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have two USB sticks - 16GB & 8GB. I hardly ever use the 8GB one so I'll just use that one. Is it safe to leave it plugged in all the time?

Yes, ...just plug it into the rear USB port and leave it there. Going forward just consider it a part of your S780. That way you'll have instant access to all your BD Live info and any special Blu ray functions loaded when you view your BDs. You can use the front USB port for whatever else you like.

Note: if ever you are looking for something to do...you can select and download video samples from the site below from your PC to your USB drive and then plug into your S780 for viewing:
http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/hi...n-trailers.php

LB
post #659 of 681 Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:

Yes, ...just plug it into the rear USB port and leave it there. Going forward just consider it a part of your S780. That way you'll have instant access to all your BD Live info and any special Blu ray functions loaded when you view your BDs. You can use the front USB port for whatever else you like.

Ok thx. One more question - does this player support exact time input? Say if I wanna jump to 1 hour, 23 mins & 35 seconds.

On my old LG you could just input the time directly but I can't seem to find that option on this player. Some discs have extremely long chapters and it's annoying having to fast forward through them.
post #660 of 681 Old 04-17-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Note: if ever you are looking for something to do...you can select and download video samples from the site below from your PC to your USB drive and then plug into your S780 for viewing:
http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/hi...n-trailers.php

Bookmarked, thanks!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S780 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi
Gear in this thread - S580 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page