AVS Forum banner
154K views 683 replies 131 participants last post by  teasip 
#1 ·
The replacement for the 770--Sony BDP-S780 blu-ray player has been released.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...07309#features

After a quick review, I don't see many differences/improvements over the 770. The only new feature I've noticed so far is the addition of Skype capability.

#555 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy /forum/post/21750440

At what type of contents affect Cinavia? contents on disc? or hdd? sd or hd?

Yesterday after last update i played some mkvs from hdd on usb port and have no problems....or affect after some time of the play?

Thanks.
http://www.cinavia.com.

"Cinavia technology may limit unauthorized uses of some movies and other filmed entertainment in Blu-ray Disc players."

"What does Cinavia technology do?

Some releases of movies, television shows and other professionally produced video (such as those shown in movie theaters, on commercial airliners, and in hotels’ “on-demand” movie services) are intended for duplication and playback on professional equipment only.

Other releases (such as most Blu-ray Disc, DVD, and authorized downloads over the Internet) are meant for use on consumers’ in-home and mobile devices, but are not meant for copying by consumers, or are only permitted to be copied in limited ways (for example, to a limited number of computers, recordable discs, or devices).

Cinavia technology is used in Blu-ray Disc players to identify and limit the use of copies of these movies, television shows, and other professionally produced videos that have been made without the permission of the copyright owner."

"How does Cinavia technology work?

Movies protected by Cinavia technology carry inaudible codes embedded by the copyright owner in their audio tracks that indicate where and how they are allowed to be used.

For example, movies that are being released to theaters can carry a Cinavia code that indicates that they are supposed to be duplicated by professional replicators and played back on professional projection equipment only.

Movies that are released on Blu-ray Disc, DVD, or by authorized download services, can carry a different Cinavia code, indicating that these movies are intended for use by consumers, but with limitations regarding whether or how they can be copied.

The Cinavia codes are designed to stay in the audio tracks wherever they appear, including after they are copied, converted to different formats, or captured by a camcorder.

Blu-ray Disc players read Cinavia codes from the audio track of video that they are playing or copying and may limit the use of the video when certain unauthorized uses are identified. Playback or copying of unauthorized copies may be stopped or audio may be muted, depending on which Cinavia code is found and what operation is being performed. This may include limiting the unauthorized use of the audio tracks that accompany professionally produced videos in home movies and other personal recordings. Whenever the use of content is limited due to a Cinavia code, an explanatory message is provided on the video screen or on the front panel of the Blu-ray Disc player.

In any case, you can rest assured that Cinavia technology is not “watching” what you are watching. By design, it can not collect or transmit information about you, your viewing habits or media selections. Cinavia codes are not individualized to you, the media, or the devices that you own and never contain any personal or personally identifiable information."

#556 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy /forum/post/21750440

At what type of contents affect Cinavia? contents on disc? or hdd? sd or hd?

Yesterday after last update i played some mkvs from hdd on usb port and have no problems....or affect after some time of the play?

Thanks.

Also, here is a pretty comprehensive list of know Cinavia "infected" titles.

http://blog.dvdfab.com/cinavia-protection.html

#557 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono225 /forum/post/21750424

M07.R.0579 contains no Cinavia. Thanks God!

Thank You for the confirmation.

Jason

#558 ·
 Starting Link

This utility upgrades the Blu-ray Disc player firmware to version M07.R.0615 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over firmware version M07.R.0579

Improves BRAVIA® Internet Video connectivity

Note: This upgrade includes Cinavia™ content protection technology. Information about Cinavia technology is provided at the Cinavia Online Consumer Information Center at: http://www.cinavia.com .

Benefits provided by previous upgrades and included in version M07.R.0615:

Improves BRAVIA Internet Video playability

Improves BD-ROM playability

Adds support for:

Playing discs recorded in AVCHD™ version 2.0 format (AVCHD 3D/Progressive)

Playing BDAV content recorded in 3D/Progressive format using BD-R/BD-RE media

Sharing your BRAVIA Internet Video content via Facebook® or Twitter® online services

The Media Remote™ App to control Party Streaming™ mode

Playing video and photos in addition to music when controlled by another DLNA® DMR (Digital Media Receiver) compatible product such as a smartphone

Playing 1080/60p video files from Sony® cameras connected by USB cable to the player

Using the Skype® calling function to call phones and mobile devices

Notes:

Requires a USB webcam

Broadband speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD)

Subject to Skype's terms and conditions

Skype features are available only on the BDP-S780

3D video using the Qriocity™ Video on Demand service

Note: The Qriocity service is available only in the United States

Viewing 3D panoramic photos taken with the 3D Sweep Panorama™ function available on some Sony® cameras

Note: Requires 3D HDTV, 3D glasses, 3D emitter, and HDMI® cable (at least 10.2 Gbps)

Web Search function using the Gracenote™ Entertainment database

SendToMyTV function

#559 ·
Many times happen that playing a mkv file from a hdd in usb port with dts 5.1 sound appear on my display receiver (connected to player with optical cable) how 48 khz pcm 2 channel (stereo), then go to audio setting in the cross bar of sony 780 change any setting (bd mix or other similar) even with no changes go back to play the mkv and now appear how dts 5.1 channel....only happen in aprox 10% of mkv files with dts sound, this evening i will try to change the optical cable. Have anybody this problem?

Sorry for my bad english.

#560 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinmn /forum/post/21753341

Also, here is a pretty comprehensive list of know Cinavia "infected" titles.

http://blog.dvdfab.com/cinavia-protection.html

Well, I guess I won't be illegally copying "Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star"......ever.....in this life or the next.....

#562 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali /forum/post/21742591

I think I may have to relocate my Sony BDP blu ray player. Can anyone out there confirm that the form factor for the optical audio output is TOSLINK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/21742778

The 780 has both toslink and coax digital outputs.

Fortunately, I didn't have to relocate my Sony 780. Turns out that the HDMI cable was fine. The problem was that the HDMI inputs on the projector I had weren't exactly 1.4a compliant. A 6' HDMI cable worked for video (which is why I was thinking of moving my Blu Ray and using a long fiber for audio as opposed to the reverse), but all the other HDMI cables didn't. A new projector fixed everything.

This is a pretty classic example of specification compliance as opposed to "does it work?" If everything is within spec, it will work. If not, it MAY work. Just because things seem to be okay doesn't mean all the components are within spec.

Thanks to MDAVEJ for the lesson in form factors (and the photos). Much appreciated.

Also, saw "Hugo" in 3D last night (120" screen and a "working" Acer h9500bd). I'll tell you this, whether you like the movie or not, Martin Scorsese did one of the (very possibly "the") best job I've yet seen when it came to filming in 3D. When you see this movie in 3D as opposed to some other 3D movies, the difference is beyond striking.

#563 ·
I recently bought the Sony BDP-S780 player and the Sony Bravia 47hx929 set. I find that with the Boardwalk Empire disks, the player completely hangs/freezes when I go to Episode menu selection. I can't power cycle using the remote or power button on the player, eject...nothing. I need to unplug the device and restart.

Sony must be aware of problems in this area as the manual tells you to disconnect the AC power cord if you run into this problem. So does anyone know whether this is a general problem with the player. Is it particular to disks with multiple episodes - or a problem particular to Boardwalk Empire? Is there a fix - I installed the latest firmware/software upgrade and that didn't help.

Also, I think there are other conditions under which the player hangs - like skipping through chapters and then hanging when getting to the top menu. Any insight on that?

Finally, I really like the PQ with the player but don't really know if its the TV, the player or simply blu-ray that is responsible for the PQ. All I want is something that plays blu-ray disks and gives a great display - don't care about the other features so would like advice as to other players that do well with the bravia 46hx929 in case I dump this one.

Thanks

#565 ·
Dear Friends: My BDP-S780 is connected to an AVR-3806 Denon receiver. The receiver is able to handle up to 7.1 channels in PCM format using the HDMI connection (it can't handle DSD signals using HDMI). When I listen to blu-ray HD audio formats converted to PCM, the receiver indicates the reception of multichannel PCM signals without problems. On the other hand, when I listen to SACDs (DSD converted to PCM), the receiver indicates only the reception of two channels 176.4 kHz PCM, no matter I set the player output to stereo or multichannel. When I set the player to play a multichannel SACD, its display indicates multichannel, but the receiver indicates only two channels. All the settings in the player and in the receiver are correct. Is there anyone facing the same problem? Thank you.

#566 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunz /forum/post/21806575

Dear Friends: My BDP-S780 is connected to an AVR-3806 Denon receiver. The receiver is able to handle up to 7.1 channels in PCM format using the HDMI connection (it can't handle DSD signals using HDMI). When I listen to blu-ray HD audio formats converted to PCM, the receiver indicates the reception of multichannel PCM signals without problems. On the other hand, when I listen to SACDs (DSD converted to PCM), the receiver indicates only the reception of two channels 176.4 kHz PCM, no matter I set the player output to stereo or multichannel. When I set the player to play a multichannel SACD, its display indicates multichannel, but the receiver indicates only two channels. All the settings in the player and in the receiver are correct. Is there anyone facing the same problem? Thank you.

This may seem like a stupid question, but it's not.

To what video resolution is your BDP set?

Don't forget that to enable multi-channel SA-CD playback on ANY universal player, output video resolution must be set to a minimum of 720P. If it's set to any SD video resolution (480/576 i/p) it will only ouput SA-CD two channel.

#568 ·
I want to purchase a new BDP-S780 but dont want the Cinavia software installed, I know Sony just released a firmware on 3/6/12 that includes Cinavia :

Anyone who purchased the BDP-S780 recently, do you recall which firmware version it came with out of the box?

Does Amazon Video On Demand, HuluPlus come preinstalled when you first unboxed and powered up your unit or is it only available via a firmware update?

Thanks!

#569 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartwater /forum/post/21814146

I want to purchase a new BDP-S780 but dont want the Cinavia software installed, I know Sony just released a firmware on 3/6/12 that includes Cinavia :

Anyone who purchased the BDP-S780 recently, do you recall which firmware version it came with out of the box?

Does Amazon Video On Demand, HuluPlus come preinstalled when you first unboxed and powered up your unit or is it only available via a firmware update?

Thanks!

There all pre-installed, by now ... however I'm pretty certain Sony wont allow you to connect to any of those services unless you do a firmware update. The same way the PS3 works.

#570 ·
The odds of anyone getting an S780 with the latest DRM firmware on it is slim. These units seem to be on closeout most everywhere so at this point it looks like just remaining stock and none of those units are NEW enough to have the latest firmware pre-installed. I had two S780's and neither had a recent firmware on it, they both had versions from many months ago. I updated one of the players to M07.R.0579 which is the most recent without the DRM, this can be downloaded from the Sony website.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...99&mdl=BDPS580

Jason

#571 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/21814572

The odds of anyone getting an S780 with the latest DRM firmware on it is slim. These units seem to be on closeout most everywhere so at this point it looks like just remaining stock and none of those units are NEW enough to have the latest firmware pre-installed. I had two S780's and neither had a recent firmware on it, they both had versions from many months ago. I updated one of the players to M07.R.0579 which is the most recent without the DRM, this can be downloaded from the Sony website.

http://www.sony-mea.com/support/download/480307

Jason

Jason, with not the "latest firmware" installed, are you still able to access any of the on-line features of the 780, such as Netflix, Hulu, amazon, etc.

#572 ·
Well I don't use any of the pay services currently other than vudu and that works great (but then vudu is not one that goes through Sony for registration), the other free services work fine as well.

* Just checked and the free Sony services work as well (watched some of a Creed concert).

Jason

#573 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/21814572

http://www.sony-mea.com/support/download/480307

Jason

Thanks for the link, it says this download is only for units sold in Asia Pacific, I am in the US. Do you know where the M07.R.0579 firmware version is for US units? I would like to download the firmware version that was released prior to the Cinavia. BTW, I currently have the Panasonic DMP-BD55 and its starting to distort and pixelate on certain discs even after cleaning the discs and running a blu ray lens cleaner thru the unit, I am hoping the S780 has a comparable image and audio quality compared to the DMP-BD55

#574 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartwater /forum/post/21814948

Thanks for the link, it says this download is only for units sold in Asia Pacific, I am in the US. Do you know where the M07.R.0579 firmware version is for US units? I would like to download the firmware version that was released prior to the Cinavia. BTW, I currently have the Panasonic DMP-BD55 and its starting to distort and pixelate on certain discs even after cleaning the discs and running a blu ray lens cleaner thru the unit, I am hoping the S780 has a comparable image and audio quality compared to the DMP-BD55

I have a Panasonic BD35 (same as the 55 minus the multi-chan audio outs) and the S780 is superior to the BD35, honestly the S780 rivals my Sony 1000ES.

Sorry, here is the US link... this is the US link even though there is a note that says Latin America & Brazil (not sure what's going on there???)

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...99&mdl=BDPS580 (it's at the bottom of the page)

Although I think I used the other link and have had no issues. Good to see you were paying attention as I would have felt terrible if someone messed up their player somehow based on that link. Thank You!

The 480/580/780 all use the same firmware (M07.R.0579).

Jason

#575 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/21814974

I have a Panasonic BD35 (same as the 55 minus the multi-chan audio outs) and the S780 is superior to the BD35, honestly the S780 rivals my Sony 1000ES.

Sorry, here is the US link... this is the US link even though there is a note that says Latin America & Brazil (not sure what's going on there???)

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...99&mdl=BDPS580 (it's at the bottom of the page)

Although I think I used the other link and have had no issues. Good to see you were paying attention as I would have felt terrible if someone messed up their player somehow based on that link. Thank You!

The 480/580/780 all use the same firmware (M07.R.0579).

Jason

Thanks Pimp
, the link you provide says BDP-S580, I did find this link when Googling the firmware number and 780 model number:
http://esupport.sony.com/CA/perl/swu...99&mdl=BDPS780 Like you said though the

firmware applies to the 480,580,780 units.

#576 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartwater /forum/post/21815514

Thanks Pimp
, the link you provide says BDP-S580, I did find this link when Googling the firmware number and 780 model number:
http://esupport.sony.com/CA/perl/swu...99&mdl=BDPS780 Like you said though the

firmware applies to the 480,580,780 units.

Yeah and that one is Canada, hehe.

I did notice that the one I posted first extracted as 2 files while the US one extracts as an iso.

Jason

#577 ·
I purchased the S780 yesterday, set it up and played some BR discs and went into the Video area and checked out some of the services, it said in order to access services you must register thru Sony. In VUDU I looked at a few trailers, today after turning the unit on whenever i try and access any of the video services (Netflix, Amazon, Vudu) it says "Network update, a new sw version M07.R.0615 is available" with an OK or Cancel option, I hit Cancel since I do not want the upgrade with Cinavia and it returns to the menu, go back in again and same thing happens. Is there a way to access the Video services without performing a sw firmware upgrade?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.