Official Sony BDP-S780 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official Sony BDP-S780 Thread
rightintel's Avatar rightintel 07:22 PM 06-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

I'm no expert, but I'm very happy with my 780. I've not bothered commenting since I got it because the thread has mostly been negative. That is probably why other people have avoided posting.

I think the negatives have been due to the poorer wi-fi capability and the loss of on board storage. People generally feel a newer model should include more features, not less. As far as performance, I'm completely satisfied w/ it. The picture is seems to be accurate, and the start-up speed is great.

jmarias's Avatar jmarias 07:10 AM 06-05-2011
So far I have had great performance from this unit. But, as one would expect, there is a lot more "typing" required to use the various network/internet features.

Is there a wireless keyboard that can be used with this box? I am thinking (hoping) the USB port could be hooked up to a bluetooth keyboard dongle, etc...

I tried the Android media app yesterday but it couldn't "see" the player. I think that was because I use a hardwire network connection to my media system and not WiFi. Besides, I rather have a full size wireless keyboard to use when in couch potato mode.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jim
jmarias's Avatar jmarias 02:43 PM 06-05-2011
Quick follow-up. I got the media app to work. Helps to read the "Help" sometimes!

Still would rather have a regular size wireless keyboard if anyone thinks it can work!

Thanks, Jim
mdray's Avatar mdray 04:10 PM 06-06-2011
Quote:
I'm no expert, but I'm very happy with my 780. I've not bothered commenting since I got it because the thread has mostly been negative. That is probably why other people have avoided posting.

Is the PQ of the 780 an improvement on the PQ of the 760, for DVD and Blu-ray please?
LBJ2's Avatar LBJ2 10:50 AM 06-09-2011
I recently installed the new Sony BDP-S780 blu-ray player ( firmware :M07.R.0263) along side my old Sony BDP-S570 blu-ray player (firmware: M04.R.752) connecting both to my XBR-LX900 TV through a Denon 3311CI receiver. My initial non-scientific observations/opinions:

Pros: ( so far)

The S780 is very similar in appearance to the S570 ( A bit shorter from back to front)
Start-up/off seems to be faster than the S570
Disk load times seem to be the same as the S570
Bluray image seems to be slightly better. I was able to confirm better cadence test results on the S780 using the Spears & Munsil High-Def Benchmark Disk as viewed on my LX900 TV : The S570 performed well on the 2-2 cadence test and failed all the rest of the cadence clips. The S780 performed well on all the cadence test clips.
S780 includes Vudu video service. It also lists Cinema Now is "coming soon". The other streaming video apps/services seem to be the same as S570 ( Hulu +, Netflix, Amazon etc.)
The Vudu user interface on the S780 is really very nice--Vudu offers SD,HD and HDX ( 1080P) with Dolby Digital +. I am able to process the Vudu Dolby Digital + streaming sound signal on the S780 over the HDMI cable. ( I could not process Dolby Digital from Amazon on the HDMI or the Optical Cable with the S570)
There is no on-board memory on the S780--However I plugged in a 8GM USB drive which works perfectly. The S570 has 1GB of on-board memory.
The iPhone Media Remote 2.1.1 app works fine with both the S570 and the S780. In fact its much easier to use the iPhone Media Remote app keyboard when you need to type information on the Sony Blu-ray player. I found the remote on both the S570 and the S780 to be very similar and for me trying to type information on the remote is a real chore--the iPhone is much easier and efficient.
The S780 includes a web browser--this is a nice feature--albeit slower than a computer, it's still interesting and will hopefully continue to evolve with future updates
Skype on the S780 is a real treat--works very well and is a big hit in my house. We used a cheap Microsoft webcam which worked fine. This will suffice until I am ready to spend another $150 on the Sony Skype camera (CMU-BR100). Note: I wasn't able to use my Logitech HD webcam--It doesn't appear to be compatible.

Cons: (so far)

**S780 USB input does not seem to recognize the iPhone 3GS or 4G at all. I get a "USB device not supported" message. The S570 USB input DOES recognizes the iPhone but only processes iPhone pictures ( no iPhone video)
There are no photo apps on the S780 photo menu--I called Sony support and they confirmed there are no photo apps on the S780. The S570 lists several popular photo app services.
InCali's Avatar InCali 02:36 PM 06-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

I recently installed the new Sony BDP-S780 blu-ray player ( firmware :M07.R.0263) along side my old Sony BDP-S570 blu-ray player (firmware: M04.R.752) connecting both to my XBR-LX900 TV through a Denon 3311CI receiver. My initial non-scientific observations/opinions:

Pros: ( so far)

The S780 is very similar in appearance to the S570 ( A bit shorter from back to front)
Start-up/off seems to be faster than the S570
Disk load times seem to be the same as the S570
Bluray image seems to be slightly better. I was able to confirm better cadence test results on the S780 using the Spears & Munsil High-Def Benchmark Disk as viewed on my LX900 TV : The S570 performed well on the 2-2 cadence test and failed all the rest of the cadence clips. The S780 performed well on all the cadence test clips.
S780 includes Vudu video service. It also lists Cinema Now is "coming soon". The other streaming video apps/services seem to be the same as S570 ( Hulu +, Netflix, Amazon etc.)
The Vudu user interface on the S780 is really very nice--Vudu offers SD,HD and HDX ( 1080P) with Dolby Digital +. I am able to process the Vudu Dolby Digital + streaming sound signal on the S780 over the HDMI cable. ( I could not process Dolby Digital from Amazon on the HDMI or the Optical Cable with the S570)
There is no on-board memory on the S780--However I plugged in a 8GM USB drive which works perfectly. The S570 has 1GB of on-board memory.
The iPhone Media Remote 2.1.1 app works fine with both the S570 and the S780. In fact its much easier to use the iPhone Media Remote app keyboard when you need to type information on the Sony Blu-ray player. I found the remote on both the S570 and the S780 to be very similar and for me trying to type information on the remote is a real chore--the iPhone is much easier and efficient.
The S780 includes a web browser--this is a nice feature--albeit slower than a computer, it's still interesting and will hopefully continue to evolve with future updates
Skype on the S780 is a real treat--works very well and is a big hit in my house. We used a cheap Microsoft webcam which worked fine. This will suffice until I am ready to spend another $150 on the Sony Skype camera (CMU-BR100). Note: I wasn't able to use my Logitech HD webcam--It doesn't appear to be compatible.

Cons: (so far)

**S780 USB input does not seem to recognize the iPhone 3GS or 4G at all. I get a "USB device not supported" message. The S570 USB input DOES recognizes the iPhone but only processes iPhone pictures ( no iPhone video)
There are no photo apps on the S780 photo menu--I called Sony support and they confirmed there are no photo apps on the S780. The S570 lists several popular photo app services.

Can you tell me the model of the cheap MS webcam which worked?
LBJ2's Avatar LBJ2 03:12 PM 06-09-2011
Yes. I am using a MS LifeCam NX-3000. ( Be aware that the cord on this model is very short maybe 30" as its designed for a laptop) so I couldnt mount it on the TV itself--but it works perfectly with the BDP-S780 Skype software. Perhaps another MS LifeCam model with a longer cord would be better.
InCali's Avatar InCali 05:10 PM 06-09-2011
Quote:
Yes. I am using a MS LifeCam NX-3000. ( Be aware that the cord on this model is very short maybe 30" as its designed for a laptop) so I couldnt mount it on the TV itself--but it works perfectly with the BDP-S780 Skype software. Perhaps another MS LifeCam model with a longer cord would be better.
Perfect....thanks. I don't care about the length of the cable. Unless there is a problem with a USB extension cable, I think everything will be fine. I looked all over for some info on this and didn't get many answers which I found satisfactory. I touched base with Sony tech support and was told any Skype camera works fine. I always hesitate when the manufacturer tells me everything in the world works just fine.....especially when I'm reading about various hardware which doesn't....

Thx again.
AVSWatcher's Avatar AVSWatcher 07:51 AM 06-10-2011
I thought this model was useless for receiving skype calls - unless you can divine when someone is about to call you. Did that change? Can you receive calls while you're using the player or other function?
LBJ2's Avatar LBJ2 02:10 PM 06-10-2011
AVSWatcher: I believe you are correct. The Skype app has to activated on the BDP-S780 in order to send or receive calls and like most of the other apps/services on this device you can only use one at a time. ( For me a good thing as I wouldn't want a Skype call interrupting my viewing or listening activities :-)

However, you raise a good point--for casual Skype users like me this is a nice -to-have Skype view with basic functionality on a big screen TV versus a small computer screen ( particularly handy when doing family or multi-person calls). Serious Skype users might not find this add-on very practical.
LBJ2's Avatar LBJ2 08:24 AM 06-11-2011
Brief update: The Sony BDP-S780 will flash a "call" msg on the S780 small display screen ( not the TV screen) during an incoming Skype voice or video call while you are watching a TV signal. (In order for this to work you have to turn on the S780 and activate the Skype app, then switch over to watching TV. )
InCali's Avatar InCali 01:12 PM 06-15-2011
I am one of those fortunate few who can, in fact, divine when I am going to receive a Skype call. At least my wife can as she is a therapist with a private practice who occasionally will Skype with her clients. I wanted a relatively inexpensive camera which would work and make skyping comfortable for her (take it from a professional couch potato, nothing beats your sofa) and used this as a segue to get a 3D blu ray player......(Honey, wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to hunch over your computer when you're skyping with your clients.....too bad our new 73" TV doesn't support skype....). Hoooooowwwling out loud!
eeegeek's Avatar eeegeek 02:37 PM 06-15-2011
I was able to successfully use an Adesso wireless keyboard on my new S580. It is so... much more convenient than the software keyboard which looks like a remote. The web browser works but can you zoom in it (it looks kind of small) and can I use my mouse and keyboard directly in it?

Is there any chance they will provide firmware update for SKYPE on the S580?
mystic_sniper28's Avatar mystic_sniper28 03:47 PM 06-15-2011
i'd be screaming YAY, no more skype to pissoff my movie watching...
InCali's Avatar InCali 07:06 PM 06-15-2011
I just spent awhile redoing the rat's nest of cabling (it's always very neat when I leave it, but the gremlins always get in there and screw things up after I'm finished....btw, they also take that matching sock to a warehouse somewhere in Wisconsin) and connected up my brand new Sony 780. I had a 570 and, unless it's the margaritas talking to me, the clarity is much better on the 780).

On the 2D to 3D "conversion"....it really doesn't exist. From what I can tell, it sort of pushes everything back from the "front" of the screen, but, as my daughter said "it doesn't really jump out at you". I made the fatal mistake of allowing an HBO 3D movie she picked out to be shown; "Shrek" something or other (It should have been named "Fear the in-laws"), but I could easily tell the 3D difference. Blu Ray looks better than DVD upscaling (which the 780 does, in my opinion, does quite well), but the "3D Conversion" isn't really worth looking like some dip $#!^ who's trying to do a bad impersonation of Stevie Wonder. My dog was even looking at me with a mix of bemusement and sympathy.

This may be a little bit off thread, but is there any trick to buying a single 3D movie to all of those "3 pack" sets I've bought in the past (Voyage of the Dawntreader/Tron/Alice in Wonderland...etc....I already know Avatar is out of the question)? I won't be able to look at myself in the mirror if I buy a "4 pack" with the 3D disk.....there has to be a way to end the oppression.

BTW....Good Tequila, Agave Nectar, and fresh squeezed limes.....shaken not; not stirred.
LBJ2's Avatar LBJ2 07:25 AM 06-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post

I just spent awhile redoing the rat's nest of cabling (it's always very neat when I leave it, but the gremlins always get in there and screw things up after I'm finished....btw, they also take that matching sock to a warehouse somewhere in Wisconsin) and connected up my brand new Sony 780. I had a 570 and, unless it's the margaritas talking to me, the clarity is much better on the 780).

On the 2D to 3D "conversion"....it really doesn't exist. From what I can tell, it sort of pushes everything back from the "front" of the screen, but, as my daughter said "it doesn't really jump out at you". I made the fatal mistake of allowing an HBO 3D movie she picked out to be shown; "Shrek" something or other (It should have been named "Fear the in-laws"), but I could easily tell the 3D difference. Blu Ray looks better than DVD upscaling (which the 780 does, in my opinion, does quite well), but the "3D Conversion" isn't really worth looking like some dip $#!^ who's trying to do a bad impersonation of Stevie Wonder. My dog was even looking at me with a mix of bemusement and sympathy.

This may be a little bit off thread, but is there any trick to buying a single 3D movie to all of those "3 pack" sets I've bought in the past (Voyage of the Dawntreader/Tron/Alice in Wonderland...etc....I already know Avatar is out of the question)? I won't be able to look at myself in the mirror if I buy a "4 pack" with the 3D disk.....there has to be a way to end the oppression.

BTW....Good Tequila, Agave Nectar, and fresh squeezed limes.....shaken not; not stirred.

my two cents...
InCali--like you I don't want all the extra material/disks that come with the new blu-ray and 3D packs ( not to mention the additional cost). Since I buy almost all my Blu-rays from Amazon.com ( they seem to have the lowest prices) sometimes they list a "single" disk version blu-ray or 3d movie (depends on the studio). However, since you have the BDP-S780--check out renting or purchasing one of the available 3D movies on Sony's Qriocity or Vudu. It appears that Vudu is adding 3D soon--but not yet. Qriocity has 3D movies available to stream now.
rightintel's Avatar rightintel 07:13 PM 06-16-2011
Quote:

my two cents...
InCali--like you I don't want all the extra material/disks that come with the new blu-ray and 3D packs ( not to mention the additional cost). Since I buy almost all my Blu-rays from Amazon.com ( they seem to have the lowest prices) sometimes they list a "single" disk version blu-ray or 3d movie (depends on the studio). However, since you have the BDP-S780--check out renting or purchasing one of the available 3D movies on Sony's Qriocity or Vudu. It appears that Vudu is adding 3D soon--but not yet. Qriocity has 3D movies available to stream now.

VUDU's the only streaming service I've seen that's even close to blu-ray. At 24fps it's looks relatively artifact-free. It's good for those movies you don't wanna own.
AVSWatcher's Avatar AVSWatcher 09:23 AM 06-17-2011
Quote:
I tried the MS LifeCam VX-3000 and the player wouldn't recognize it. Anyone else have success with a non-CMUBR100 camera? If so, which model?
LBJ2's Avatar LBJ2 12:27 PM 06-17-2011
I was also able to get the Microsoft LifeCam Studio 1080p HD Webcam to work perfectly with the BDP-S780.
LBJ2's Avatar LBJ2 12:31 PM 06-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

VUDU's the only streaming service I've seen that's even close to blu-ray. At 24fps it's looks relatively artifact-free. It's good for those movies you don't wanna own.

I agree. As a new user to Vudu via the BDP-S780, I was really surprised at the quality of both video and DD 5.1+ of the Vudu HDX movies. I don't think the other leading streaming services currently match Vudu's user interface and technology. However, lets see how they do with 3D (coming soon) once 3D service is operational.
toni1's Avatar toni1 03:06 AM 06-19-2011
I just got the sony bdr s 780 that maybe include high end Silicone Image Video chipset (the same as some Oppo models).

I can streem 1080p50 from my pana sd 700 camcorder

Is the chipset model is the ABT2015 (not sure about that) specs are here

http://www.siliconimage.com/products...t.aspx?pid=196
http://www.world-import.com/sony-bdp...with-wi-fi.htm

Among other informations :
Input
24/30-bit RGB/YCbCr 4:4:4
16/20/24-bit YCbCr 4:2:2
8/10/12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 (ITU-R BT.656)
Supports a wide range of video and PC formats including 1080p and WUXGA
Separate and embedded syncs, DE generation, BT.656 support
165MHz maximum input clock

Output
24/30/36-bit RGB/YCbCr 4:4:4
16/20/24-bit YCbCr 4:2:2
8/10/12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 (ITU-R BT.656)
Supports a wide range of video and PC formats including 1080p and WUXGA
165MHz maximum output clock

appreciate help for full spec
Jon S's Avatar Jon S 12:46 PM 06-19-2011
I really doubt that Sony would have the Silicon Image chipset... they usually use inhouse designed chipsets...
Cortiz's Avatar Cortiz 01:54 PM 06-19-2011
There's one way to confirm, if someone is brave enough to open the unit and confirm the chipset
mjf_uk's Avatar mjf_uk 03:58 PM 06-19-2011
With the return of SBM, I assumed it would be a Marvell Qdeo.
NismoZ's Avatar NismoZ 07:06 PM 06-19-2011
Quote:

Can anyone comment on the drive noise of the 780 compared to the 770 please?

I tried a 770 and the drive noise was the loudest I have heard from any Sony Blu-Ray player, as well as having a very annoying high pitched sound when the drive was spinning at certain speeds. So I bought a 570.

I was considering replacing the 570 with a 580, but with the return of SBM on the 780 I'm now looking at that - but hoping the drive us quiet.

This is what I am interested in as well. I experienced the exact same thing this guys did. Coming from my S350, the 770 drive was louder, plus I heard the high pitched noise he talked about in quiet parts of movies. So I returned the 770.

Has anyone expereienced this on the 780? You've got to have really good ears to hear it...

Thanks.
mjf_uk's Avatar mjf_uk 02:28 AM 06-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

This is what I am interested in as well. I experienced the exact same thing this guys did. Coming from my S350, the 770 drive was louder, plus I heard the high pitched noise he talked about in quiet parts of movies. So I returned the 770.

Has anyone expereienced this on the 780? You've got to have really good ears to hear it...

Thanks.

I haven't had the same problem with the 780. The usual clunky sounds are there when loading and navigating, but playing discs has been fine for me so far.
HDPERSON's Avatar HDPERSON 04:42 AM 06-20-2011
How good is the Blu Ray and DVD picture quality compared to some other machines that you may have used? I use the Panasonic DMP BD75 for my DVDs. I use the Panasonic BD T210 for Blu ray playback. Would there be much of an improvement with the S780?
Robertoy's Avatar Robertoy 06:59 AM 06-20-2011
Quote:

With the return of SBM, I assumed it would be a Marvell Qdeo.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post16995798
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17189242

Roberto
toni1's Avatar toni1 02:41 PM 06-20-2011

------------------------------------

Its itching me. I am retaining myself to not open the unit to see for myself. Is there a risk doing that ??
Audio5oh's Avatar Audio5oh 09:33 PM 06-20-2011
Has anyone had any issues with this player so far? I read some negative feedback recently in which one person says that the picture quality of Netflix movies is horrible. Another person says the player froze and suddenly stopped working after 30 days.

Anyhow, I am still undecided whether to give this unit a try. I've read a few postive reviews on this player, but issues such as these make you think twice about purchasing this unit. Overall is this a better performer than the previous S770?
Tags: Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Sony Bdp S770 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Bdp S780 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop