Official 2D-->3D Samsung BD-D6700 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 366 Old 04-16-2011, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I see referenced a "ZA" at the end of the model number in some cases. Yet not always. Is there a difference?

I am looking at 3D players and am trying to stay away from LG. The BD390 and BD590 I have are good, but they seem to have a mind of their own. So, this time around I am looking elsewhere.

Sure wish there was a 6700(ZA) locally that I could actually see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 366 Old 04-16-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

I am trying to upgrade my player (Sony BDP-S570) and LCD TV (Samsung LCD 46 inch), both which are located in the family room. I really want to upgrade to a 3D plasma from Panasonic, such as the GT30. I've heard mixed reviews from that set, but because of the thinner bezel, I can now fit a 50 inch plasma in my built in, which sits over my fireplace. As far as blu ray players, I am trying to decide between the Panasonic DMP-BDT210 and Sony BDP-S780. However, I 've been looking at the Samsung 6700 as well and really like the overall design. I've heard some complaints on the Panasonic BDT210 related to Netflix connectivity and wireless setup. I haven't seen too many reviews on the S780.

HiFiFun,
I've never owned a Samsung blu ray player, so my question is; Do you think Samsung has finally fixed all the bugs previously found on their older model players? How is the dvd upconversion? Have you experienced any picture/audio drop outs playing blu rays?

I know that people place flat panels over their fireplace. I would not as the height would cause neck strain issues.
I would stay away from Panasonic players as they are slower and their last generation would mistrack 3D discs. The PQ is not equal to the Samsung.
Sony issued 3D ready players (with a promised 3D firmware update). That is a turnoff, and shows they didn't plan properly.
Scaling and deinterlacing are no longer issues.
As my weather indicator senses storm clouds approaching, you should pay double and get a nice player with no 2D->3D conversion, but with great customer service.

As for Internet access, I'm completely against it in ALL Blu-ray players and for many reasons. I use my superior htpc HD DVR/NAS instead. To find out the Samsung's Internet behavior, the consumer has to agree to their Term of Service agreement. I'm not going to bother reading it as all these companies want to track your Internet visits and sell it to third parties which could care less about your privacy. In other words I'm not paying to be tracked and have them start spamming my movie watching with advertising. Power DVD already does it (but I posted how to defeat it with the Windows 7 firewall).

Finally the 6700 has a nice zoom (move to the Tools menu) feature that allows 2.35 discs to use most of the 1.78 screen. This makes for a brighter image, which is especially important for dimmer 3D. It also works in the 2-->3D mode. Very sweet! I'm testing it with AstroBoy which I picked up for $10. What a great deal from Best Buy Next up is Alan's psychedelic favorite Speed Racer, surely to blow away the visual defences.
The new Samsung plasmas are among the best. The 8000 I viewed at Magnolia looked impressive with very good/excellent black level in subdued lighting. The only special rule I follow for plasma is to never leave a static picture up unless the contrast is set very low or zero. Hope this helps.
post #33 of 366 Old 04-17-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

The maximum capacity of common dual layer blu-ray discs is 50GB.
2D movies can be mastered up to 50GB.
3D movies can be mastered up to 25GB for each of the two streams.

Knowing this, take a 2D disc which was mastered to 40GB, then let the Samsung 6700 double the data to 80GB!

Can taking this 2D->3D route of using less compression result in higher picture quality? I think so; that is why I'm so impressed.
post #34 of 366 Old 04-17-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

I know that people place flat panels over their fireplace. I would not as the height would cause neck strain issues.
I would stay away from Panasonic players as they are slower and their last generation would mistrack 3D discs. The PQ is not equal to the Samsung.
Sony issued 3D ready players (with a promised 3D firmware update). That is a turnoff, and shows they didn't plan properly.
Scaling and deinterlacing are no longer issues.
As my weather indicator senses storm clouds approaching, you should pay double and get a nice player with no 2D->3D conversion, but with great customer service.

As for Internet access, I'm completely against it in ALL Blu-ray players and for many reasons. I use my superior htpc HD DVR/NAS instead. To find out the Samsung's Internet behavior, the consumer has to agree to their Term of Service agreement. I'm not going to bother reading it as all these companies want to track your Internet visits and sell it to third parties which could care less about your privacy. In other words I'm not paying to be tracked and have them start spamming my movie watching with advertising. Power DVD already does it (but I posted how to defeat it with the Windows 7 firewall).

Finally the 6700 has a nice zoom (move to the Tools menu) feature that allows 2.35 discs to use most of the 1.78 screen. This makes for a brighter image, which is especially important for dimmer 3D. It also works in the 2-->3D mode. Very sweet! I'm testing it with AstroBoy which I picked up for $10. What a great deal from Best Buy Next up is Alan's psychedelic favorite Speed Racer, surely to blow away the visual defences.
The new Samsung plasmas are among the best. The 8000 I viewed at Magnolia looked impressive with very good/excellent black level in subdued lighting. The only special rule I follow for plasma is to never leave a static picture up unless the contrast is set very low or zero. Hope this helps.

Thank you for that. I have another issue regarding 3D content. My tv which sits over my fireplace is approximately 5 feet above the floor. I can't tilt it since I will be using the tv stand, so wall mounting isn't an option. Viewing distance from the main couch to the tv is about 10 feet. But I do have two smaller couches to the left and right of the tv, which is where angled viewing comes into play. Obviously, the tv is not at eye level for anyone sitting in the family room. Me and my kids really want to see 3D, but I'm afraid to run into problems. Neck strain isn't a problem for us as you might expect. I just don't want to see any extra lines or ghosting that will make the 3d experience unfavorable. At time it looks like the Panasonic 50GT30 and LG PZ950 are the only models that will fit inside my built in. 51 inch Samsung won't fit, even with the thinner bezel.
post #35 of 366 Old 04-17-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

Thank you for that. I just don't want to see any extra lines or ghosting that will make the 3d experience unfavorable. At time it looks like the Panasonic 50GT30 and LG PZ950 are the only models that will fit inside my built in. 51 inch Samsung won't fit, even with the thinner bezel.

Plasmas generate considerable heat. Ghosting is the least of all display types, sometimes its encoded into the native 3D discs too.
post #36 of 366 Old 04-18-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone been able to do a comparrison between the Sammy 6700 and the Panny 210 I mention the 210 as I have one trying out like it but was waiting to exchange for the 310 for the two HDMI outputs. But I see this one has that and seems to have a few more streaming options. Now thinking this one could do. I had samsungs first BD player and a 1400. No real complaints other than the Samsung CSR's. What are your thoughts.

post #37 of 366 Old 04-18-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Has anyone been able to do a comparrison between the Sammy 6700 and the Panny 210 I mention the 210 as I have one trying out like it but was waiting to exchange for the 310 for the two HDMI outputs. But I see this one has that and seems to have a few more streaming options. Now thinking this one could do. I had samsungs first BD player and a 1400. No real complaints other than the Samsung CSR's. What are your thoughts.

I have not seen the 210...but almost purchased it because it was cheaper. However, I've heard that it had a bug as far as playing movies via Netflix. Supposedly, a firmware update was planned, but I don't know if it ever took place.

ANother difference is that the Samsung does not have a tray that pops out for the disc. You just slide the disc in the front! I also thought that the Panasonic was a bit noiser than the Samsung, but it might have just been the one player that I saw.

Oh, and the Samsung does not have Amazon video, and I believe the Panny does.

post #38 of 366 Old 04-18-2011, 01:45 PM

Liked: 12
I have a question. I have a un55c8000 Samsung TV. I recently switched from a 2010 Bluray player bd-d6800 to a 2011 bd-d7500 because the bd-d6800. When I made the switch my crosstalk or ghosting problem reduced by a factor of 90% or more. Does the bd-d6500 and bd-d6700 accomplish the same thing?
post #39 of 366 Old 04-18-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Well with the help of dave at electronics web site I was able to return my panny 210 and switch to the 6700. Havent done a lot yet but BD of course is great. setting up wifi a bit more difficult so I switched to my wire. There are a lot more choices and a bit more complicated to start. But so far loving this really neat looking box. I also fount it has quite a bit of controls for pq etc. Nice unit and worth the few bucks more. If you shop. Give dave a try nice guy and very helpful.

post #40 of 366 Old 04-18-2011, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robut View Post
I have a question. I have a un55c8000 Samsung TV. I recently switched from a 2010 Bluray player bd-d6800 to a 2011 bd-d7500 because the bd-d6800. When I made the switch my crosstalk or ghosting problem reduced by a factor of 90% or more. Does the bd-d6500 and bd-d6700 accomplish the same thing?
I thought the reduced crosstalk was because of firmware updates to the un55c8000 HDTV.
post #41 of 366 Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
I thought the reduced crosstalk was because of firmware updates to the un55c8000 HDTV.
I had the latest firmware installed. The only perimeter that was changed was the blu-ray player from a Samsung bd-d6800 to a bd-d7500. Others experienced the exact same result. Read the Amazon reviews of the bd-d7500 and http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1329529.
post #42 of 366 Old 04-21-2011, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Can anyone tell me why this player won't play bluray over it's component output? I only want 480i, but I get a blank screen.

I can see the setup/dashboard screen, but as soon as I load a disc... nada.

Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Thirst is worse than homesickness"
post #43 of 366 Old 04-21-2011, 01:57 PM

I've had this player for a couple of weeks now and have been quite impressed. However, last night my daughter plugged in Avatar 2D Blu Ray which played just fine last week but now all I get is a message stating I need a firmware upgrade. No problem. I first tried over a wired internet connection which stated there are no upgrades. I then went to samsungusa.com and found version 1003. This is the same version on the player but I stuck it on a USB stick to see if there may have been a new rev level. No luck. Just to ensure the disk wasn't somehow damaged I ripped it to my computer via AnyDVD and it ran without a hitch. Any ideas what may have changed ?

- John
post #44 of 366 Old 04-21-2011, 10:27 PM

Fixed. Needed a firmware update

-

post #45 of 366 Old 04-22-2011, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Shane Buettner, in his last review of an as Home Theater Magazine editor states this about 2D->3D conversion:
"With kids around, computer animated titles are standard fare at our house, and 2D to 3D conversion can be particular effective with that kind of material."

He was reviewing the $8K JVC X7 projector. I wish he had the 6700 for review!
The other reviewers keep their distance from the synthesized 3D, as the movie studios feel infringed upon.

I admire Shane for his excellent reviews, common sense, integrity and most importantly valid product comparisons. It was a nice parting shot. Thanks!
post #46 of 366 Old 04-22-2011, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanhacker View Post

I've had this player for a couple of weeks now and have been quite impressed. However, last night my daughter plugged in Avatar 2D Blu Ray which played just fine last week but now all I get is a message stating I need a firmware upgrade. No problem. I first tried over a wired internet connection which stated there are no upgrades. I then went to samsungusa.com and found version 1003. This is the same version on the player but I stuck it on a USB stick to see if there may have been a new rev level. No luck. Just to ensure the disk wasn't somehow damaged I ripped it to my computer via AnyDVD and it ran without a hitch. Any ideas what may have changed ?

There is no reason to reinstall the same firmware version.
Blu-ray discs are a lot more sensitive than DVDs to anything being on their surface, especially fingerprints. Always clean off the surface when there are disc playback issues.
Reset the player and turn off the advertising delivery system also know as Blu-ray Live.
post #47 of 366 Old 04-22-2011, 07:21 AM

Alternately, rip them, strip the drm and use them how you see fit. They belong to you and should not be nearly this difficult. (another reason hddvd should have won)

-

post #48 of 366 Old 04-22-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post

Alternately, rip them, strip the drm and use them how you see fit. They belong to you and should not be nearly this difficult. (another reason hddvd should have won)

You were right. I used ImgBurn to burn the Rip and now it plays just fine. Not sure why the player can't load the original but I suspect DRM is, as you point out, likely the culprit. Thank you

- John
post #49 of 366 Old 04-25-2011, 10:56 AM
aod
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
How about a comparison between the 6700 and a Panasonic DMP-BDT350? Both have dual HDMI, but the Panny is way expensive. I just picked up the 350, but am looking at the Samsung 6700. I haven't seen the performance of the 6700, but the 350 is smokin'. Anyone test drive both? Due to me having the Onkyo 805, I need a BD player with dual HDMI for 3D

Now viewing the
and the
post #50 of 366 Old 04-25-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod View Post

How about a comparison between the 6700 and a Panasonic DMP-BDT350? Both have dual HDMI, but the Panny is way expensive. I just picked up the 350, but am looking at the Samsung 6700. I haven't seen the performance of the 6700, but the 350 is smokin'. Anyone test drive both? Due to me having the Onkyo 805, I need a BD player with dual HDMI for 3D

I had a 350 which I really found hard to find. I finally found one floor sample. Got a great deal and the little I used it worked great . did not like the netflix menue etc. The HDMI 1 output turned out to be defective so I returned it for a panny 210 really wanting the 310 but as it was not released yet. got the 210 with hopes of exchnanging it for a 310 if it would be released soon. Really liked it but want 2 HDMI outputs and found out about the sammy 6700 so I upgraded to that. It is really terrific. love the different sites netflix works great bd works great fast and no issues whatsoever. so far. Even though I am not into 3d I like an HDMI going direct to my PJ> I am not sorry I bought the samsung. Light slim almost invisable easy set up . And this is from someone comming from and oppo 93 and pioneer elite 09fd. Just tired of spending big bucks for in my opinion not a better performing piece of Equiptment. No mind you I have gone all pretty much HDMI and use analog when there is no option. The O9 was a wonderful unit for its time a real showpiece but no longer could compare to the features of the newer cheaper players although you do sacrifice some build quality but the technology is changing faster than the players have time to wear out.

post #51 of 366 Old 04-26-2011, 08:09 AM

Liked: 11
What I'd really like to know, is if the SmartTV function in this BD player is just as fast as the SmartTV in a D8000 series Samsung LED/PDP?

Has anyone who has both a Samsung HDTV (with SmartTV) and this BD player tested both to see if the browser and other such widgets load the same, or is the processing in the TV quicker?

Is there anything missing on the BD player, or does it share the exact same features/content as the D8000 TV's?

Thanks.
post #52 of 366 Old 04-26-2011, 09:48 AM

I have both and while I see no appreciable difference in speed (both are wired), the number of applications on the player pales in comparison to the D8000. For example, the D8000 has 17 Sports apps and the player has 9. I assume this is mostly due to the fact the player has no keyboard to provide alphanumeric input and the D8000 does. Then again, I don't really know why there is a difference. The fact remains I still love the PQ from this player. The "pop" in 2D and 3D is beyond my expectations.

- John
post #53 of 366 Old 05-07-2011, 06:28 AM

Anyone try viewing mkv files on the 6700? I tried a 6500 with a dvd with a 1080p mkv file and it seemed to play ok, although the subs were kind of ugly. Also tried with a blu-ray disk with 1080p mkv files. The files played but could not see any subtitles.

Eph
post #54 of 366 Old 05-17-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

By hardly looking, this player is $80 off with no tax and free shipping. A great deal.
Since I have multiple systems installed, and have been so impressed, I'm buying a second one.
post #55 of 366 Old 05-17-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:

By hardly looking, this player is $80 off with no tax and free shipping. A great deal.
Since I have multiple systems installed, and have been so impressed, I'm buying a second one.

can you please tell me where to get this player for $80 off?? thank you
post #56 of 366 Old 05-17-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Va n ns at bi g riv er.
Compare the number of posts here to the 10,500 for that most popular player. Or spending 220 vs 500. Or the 2D->3D conversion. Or the flawless technical performance.. Or the eye candy picture quality. Or the responsive and easy to use touch controls. No drawer needed. Guess who will have these feature next year?
I use a pc or htpc to connect to the Internet. I get everything with no issues. I only depend upon my ISP for the raw connection.
This is of course the main area of frustration consumers have with using all Blu-ray players. It is the wrong tool to connect to the Internet and you give up system administrator or root privileges and become a captive audience.
post #57 of 366 Old 05-17-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Right now, Amazon has it for $210!!!

post #58 of 366 Old 05-21-2011, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've had this for 2 months now and am very pleased. Very fast load speeds for blu-rays. VuDu steaming looks and sounds very good with zero buffer issues as of yet. I am very surprised how few compression issues there are in action scenes. Netflix HD material also looks very nice. Very quiet player. I love the slot loading as compared to a noisy drawer. Picture quality looks great on my 70 inch JVS LCOS. Well designed and intuitive menus. The Apps, which I am new to, work well enough, but aside from VuDu, Hulu Plus and Netflix, I don't find myself using the others now. Far more convenient ways to check the weather or news. Really love the dual HDMI which allows me to run through my 1.3 Onkyo and still upgrade to a 3D TV in the future.
post #59 of 366 Old 05-24-2011, 06:17 AM

Been using this new player for about a week now. Like it a lot. Did notice on one Blu-ray movie so far that it had audio issues. The movie was the Green Hornet. The sound that came through my speakers was very scratchy and basically unlistenable. Exchanged this blu-ray movie disc for the same title and still had the same audio issues. I have tried about six other different movies with no issues whatsoever. Hopefully it is not the player. In reading these posts I did not see that anybody had any audio issues with this player. I'll try some more movies and let you know if I have any other movies with the same problem.

Craig
post #60 of 366 Old 05-25-2011, 08:24 AM

Installed the latest firmware for the 6700 and still have audio issues with the Green Hornet Blu-ray disc. So far that is the only movie I really have audio issues with on this player. Basically I'll just have to live with that until they do another firmware update that fixes this problem. Hopefully there are no more movies that have audio issues on this player. Other than that I like the player.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung , Blu Ray Players , 3d Hdtv , Samsung Refurbished Blu Ray Disc Player Bd C6800 B , Samsung 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Bd D6700
Gear in this thread - C6800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page