post #62 of 366 Old 05-25-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigR View Post

Installed the latest firmware for the 6700 and still have audio issues with the Green Hornet Blu-ray disc. So far that is the only movie I really have audio issues with on this player. Basically I'll just have to live with that until they do another firmware update that fixes this problem. Hopefully there are no more movies that have audio issues on this player. Other than that I like the player.

Might be a problem with your particular unit. My 6700 had no problem with the audio for GH, or any other disc.

post #63 of 366 Old 05-26-2011, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Might be a problem with your particular unit. My 6700 had no problem with the audio for GH, or any other disc.
That is interesting...thanks for the info. At first I thought it might just be the disc but ruled that out after exchanging it for another and had the same audio issue. Then did the firmware update and still had the same problem...but had not considered that there could be something wrong with the player. I also have not had any problems with any other disc to date.
post #64 of 366 Old 05-26-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is interesting...thanks for the info. At first I thought it might just be the disc but ruled that out after exchanging it for another and had the same audio issue. Then did the firmware update and still had the same problem...but had not considered that there could be something wrong with the player. I also have not had any problems with any other disc to date.

Did you exchange the disc at the same place you got the first one? Sometime, a bad batch of discs can end up at the same venue. I'd try getting GH from a different source...Netflix, BB, or wherever...and see how it plays. (By the way, I never did any firmware update on my player. Just worked fine right out of the box.)

post #65 of 366 Old 05-27-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Did you exchange the disc at the same place you got the first one? Sometime, a bad batch of discs can end up at the same venue. I'd try getting GH from a different source...Netflix, BB, or wherever...and see how it plays. (By the way, I never did any firmware update on my player. Just worked fine right out of the box.)

Yep, exchanged it at the same place. Maybe I'll rent it and see if it has the same problem. I have not had any problems with any other disc (about 8 that I have tried so far). I'm not overly concerned at this point...if it is just this one movie I can live with that.
post #66 of 366 Old 05-27-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, exchanged it at the same place. Maybe I'll rent it and see if it has the same problem. I have not had any problems with any other disc (about 8 that I have tried so far). I'm not overly concerned at this point...if it is just this one movie I can live with that.

And, if you have the same problem with the rental, you can always see the movie in 1080p and Dolby Digital Plus via CinemaNow or Vudu (both on the 6700)

post #67 of 366 Old 05-29-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
Quote:

Looks like the audio issue has to do with some new form of copy protection. Its a war and you are collateral damage. Its NOT the player, rather the studio. Google for "green hornet audio problem".

BTW the movie was only interesting because (for once in many decades) the main character was made a complete ass. This signifies a huge change in Hollywood ownership. The other lead was very cool. The chemistry was just awful. Those who finance get to pick the agenda, even the lame copy protection schemes.
post #68 of 366 Old 05-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Only real thread to show a problem was a thread by the same poster here. Green Hornet has worked fine in every 3D player I've thrown it in. Even if it was Cinavia activated, it's up to the manufacture to make sure it "plays along".

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #69 of 366 Old 06-03-2011, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

The Shane Effect Part II
The July 2011 issue of Home Theater Magazine reviews the Samsung BD-D6700 blu-ray player. Reviewer Kris Deering and I agree for the second time!
Kris uses the sota JVC RS-50 3D projector along with the Anthem Satatement D2 A/V processor:

Quote:
"I watched a large assortment of the latest blu-ray titles, and the BD-D67000 provided all the picture and audio quality I get from even the Oppo BDP-95. Images were razor sharp, with jaw dropping levels of detail and dimensionality. The audio experience was second to none."

As documented earlier, I also am enjoying the best audio quality I've ever experienced from ANY component with the 6700. I mate with the all-digital Samsung 700 receiver.

Completely unrelated, I heard on the news that many people act like they are hypnotized today by dominating personalities. Common sense is lost. I don't believe it and can prove it wrong as the simple math is fascinating 210/519 = 40%
post #70 of 366 Old 06-04-2011, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

The Shane Effect Part II
The July 2011 issue of Home Theater Magazine reviews the Samsung BD-D6700 blu-ray player. Reviewer Kris Deering and I agree for the second time!
Kris uses the sota JVC RS-50 3D projector along with the Anthem Satatement D2 A/V processor:

Quote:
"I watched a large assortment of the latest blu-ray titles, and the BD-D67000 provided all the picture and audio quality I get from even the Oppo BDP-95. Images were razor sharp, with jaw dropping levels of detail and dimensionality. The audio experience was second to none."

As documented earlier, I also am enjoying the best audio quality I've ever experienced from ANY component with the 6700. I mate with the all-digital Samsung 700 receiver.

Completely unrelated, I heard on the news that many people act like they are hypnotized today by dominating personalities. Common sense is lost. I don't believe it and can prove it wrong as the simple math is fascinating 210/519 = 40%

Couldn't find the review on their site.

post #71 of 366 Old 06-05-2011, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Couldn't find the review on their site.

Their reviews are always published in the magazine first. Either check the bookstore or wait about a month.

What Kris probably pondering is why does the Samsung sound better than other gear? I believe it has to do with the refinement of their HDMI transceivers, namely lower jitter and emissions.
Notice that this is all removed from the traditional American (or even Japanese) high-end. Or stated another way it is the emerging high-end, but without the profits companies expect. Decreasing prices explain why their is hardly any hype. Korea and increasingly China are in the drivers seat.
post #72 of 366 Old 06-05-2011, 07:53 AM

Please bear with me because I'm not a techie. I had an LG Blu-Ray and it was being very temperamental and only reading about half the discs I fed it. the rest gave me a Check Disc error. LG support was no help and it's out of warranty so I decided it was time for a new machine and I purchased the Samsung BD-D6700. I set it up and...same problem. I tried three Netflix rentals and it read none of them. I then tried two that I own. The first was also rejected and the second one played. So I was truly baffled and started playing around with settings and finally, after I lowered the resolution from 1080p to 780p, they all played. I also turned off BD Live because I heard that could cause certain discs not to play.

Out of curiosity I then tried to lower the resolution on the outgoing LG and sure enough, four out of the five discs now played. The only one that didn't was the animated film The Illusionist, which I had from Netflix.

Can someone explain this to me? Why won't my discs play at the highest resolution? It seems that the whole point of going to Blu-Ray is to be able to get the best quality possible. Is there something else I can try? The TV, by the way, is a three-year-old Samsung LCD. I don't have the model number handy but I don't know why that would make any difference.

Would replacing my HDMI cables make any difference?

Any advice is appreciated!
post #73 of 366 Old 06-05-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimato View Post

So I was truly baffled and started playing around with settings and finally, after I lowered the resolution from 1080p to 780p, they all played. I also turned off BD Live because I heard that could cause certain discs not to play.

Out of curiosity I then tried to lower the resolution on the outgoing LG and sure enough, four out of the five discs now played. The only one that didn't was the animated film The Illusionist, which I had from Netflix.

Can someone explain this to me? Why won't my discs play at the highest resolution? It seems that the whole point of going to Blu-Ray is to be able to get the best quality possible. Is there something else I can try? The TV, by the way, is a three-year-old Samsung LCD. I don't have the model number handy but I don't know why that would make any difference.

Would replacing my HDMI cables make any difference?

On the Samsung, try changing the setting to AUTO, instead of 720p or 1080p.
Do the same for the HDMI setting as well, since you don't have a 3D set. That should let the player output the resolution, depending on the source. It might also help to make sure you have the latest firmware update.

Which brings ME to a question. Current update is 001002, but the player is asking me if I want to upgrade to 001004. Since everything works great at 001002, I'm a bit hesitant to change it to something that can't be undone. Does anyone know what the 001004 update actually does? (There's no info on the Samsung website.)

post #74 of 366 Old 06-05-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:

On the Samsung, try changing the setting to AUTO, instead of 720p or 1080p.
Do the same for the HDMI setting as well, since you don't have a 3D set. That should let the player output the resolution, depending on the source. It might also help to make sure you have the latest firmware update.

Which brings ME to a question. Current update is 001002, but the player is asking me if I want to upgrade to 001004. Since everything works great at 001002, I'm a bit hesitant to change it to something that can't be undone. Does anyone know what the 001004 update actually does? (There's no info on the Samsung website.)

Thanks, Cinema13. I did try Auto and it doesn't work. The disc starts to load and then it sends me right back to menu before the feature starts. And I did upgrade the firmware yesterday, right after I setup the player. For whatever reason, I can only play the majority of discs at 720. I would return it but since my previous player, which was a different brand, did the same thing, is has to be something else. Besides, I like everything else about the Samsung so far. It's just this one annoying problem and it probably has nothing to do with either player but I'm clueless as to what else it could be. I looked at my TV's settings and didn't see a way to adjust the resolution on there. Must be one--I'll have to look further.
post #75 of 366 Old 06-05-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Well here is another victory for the 6700. Consumers Reports updated their blu-ray player rankings:

LD-BD670 78 points
Oppo BDP-93 77
Samsung BD-D6700 76

Only the Samsung and the Oppo have two hdmi outputs and only the Samsung has the 2D->3D conversion for DVD and Blu-ray discs. LG typically approaches Samsung with their products but are not as refined.
As an example, the new Samsung D series plasma's are the first to rate excellent in 3D picture quality.

Kris reports the Samsung Internet Apps are first rate. Further the Samsung Application store is first for HDTV. This is how advertising will be sent to your TV, similar to what Google and Apple do for smartphones.

http://www.samsung.com/us/pdf/apps-a...duct-table.pdf
http://www.samsung.com/us/appstore/support
post #76 of 366 Old 06-05-2011, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Kris discovered a menu sequencing logic error effecting DVD playback.
Its fixed with the 1004 firmware update available now from within the players menu.
post #77 of 366 Old 06-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Only the Samsung and the Oppo have two hdmi outputs and only the Samsung has the 2D->3D conversion for DVD and Blu-ray discs. LG typically approaches Samsung with their products but are not as refined.

Not true. The Panasonic 310 also has 2 HDMI and 2D/3D conversion for DVD and BD.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #78 of 366 Old 06-05-2011, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Not true. The Panasonic 310 also has 2 HDMI and 2D/3D conversion for DVD and BD.

S~

The two Panasonic players tested scored 69 and 71 which is significantly lower.
I had purchased the last generation high-end $429 Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player from BB and it couldn't even track 3D discs.
With Best Buy now tracking customer returns with Drivers License (through third party Retail Equation), products with any chance of returns are too risky for me (with perfect credit) to audition or consider. No wonder BB sales are down. Regrettably this is the new reality and may hurt products of considerable merit.

I trust Amazon and they trust me. Even better no third parties
post #79 of 366 Old 06-05-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kris discovered a menu sequencing logic error effecting DVD playback.
Its fixed with the 1004 firmware update available now from within the players menu.

Does the 1004 update affect anything else? I have not had any sequencing erros with the 1002 version. But since I'm getting requests to update from the player, I'm wondering if I should apply it or just refuse it. The Samsung site offers ZERO information.

post #80 of 366 Old 06-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

You're the only one and never saw you post there. Speaking as a former custom dealer, installer, and designer, I had way more returns with Samsung products. I myself have sent back a first gen and last gen player and find their support lacking. There are better evaluations of players than consumer reports. 71 and 76 is not a huge difference on CR's scale. CNET rates the Panasonic players higher than the Samsung with much more extensive testing, although it isn't a bad player by any means. They rate it their player of 2011. Sound and Vision found the 6700 only decent at scaling, although their final opinion was "an above average player for an above average price".

S~

post #81 of 366 Old 06-05-2011, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You're the only one
"an above average player for an above average price".
S~

Reviewer Tom Norton of Home Theater noticed it too.
Sorry to hear the former description. I think we are all a bit worried.

A case of mistaken identity. The above average price fits the Oppo to a tee. Or advertising (like paid lobbyists) works wonders!

Kris also tested the Samsung with the next generation of difficult test sequences that aren't even published yet. The 6700 passed them all with flying colors. Sorry I can't quote the entire superlative review.

Of course I claim improved sound quality too, which cannot be economically measured. Without any faith just go buy Monster Cables
post #82 of 366 Old 06-06-2011, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

post #83 of 366 Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does this player do 5.1 sound from Netflix?

MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display | Apple TV | Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Martin Logan Theos | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV |
post #84 of 366 Old 06-09-2011, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Right now only the Panasonic X10 series and PS3, when 5.1 audio tracks are available.

S~

post #85 of 366 Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Right now only the Panasonic X10 series and PS3, when 5.1 audio tracks are available.

S~

Thanks for the info, teachsac!

MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display | Apple TV | Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Martin Logan Theos | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV |
post #86 of 366 Old 06-09-2011, 12:24 PM

I got this player last week, and agree it is one of the best options out there for a non-universal Blu-Ray disc player.

Picture and sound are fantastic. I was more than a little surprised about the improvement in sound quality over previous Blu-Ray players I've used, as I figured all HDMI outputs 1.3 and above would essentially sound the same.

The excellent SQ really jumped out at me when watching "Jeff Beck's Rock & Roll Party" Blu-Ray - Imelda May's vocals especially had an immediacy I never noticed and really caught my attention as never before.

However, I'm a little concerned about transport noise. I only sit around 7-8 feet from my open-air rack, and with the sound muted I can easily hear it when the disc starts spinning. Is this normal?

Not much better than my old 1st gen PS3 in this regard. If I get up with the sound muted and back up to about 20 feet, I can still hear the transport noise.

I haven't noticed the noise much when watching material with the sound volume cranked up, though, so it's not really a deal breaker. I guess they had to cut corners somewhere.

Just wondering what others experiences are in this regard and if it might be worthwhile to exchange the unit for another while I still can.
post #87 of 366 Old 06-10-2011, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Diablo View Post

However, I'm a little concerned about transport noise. I only sit around 7-8 feet from my open-air rack, and with the sound muted I can easily hear it when the disc starts spinning. Is this normal?

Not much better than my old 1st gen PS3 in this regard. If I get up with the sound muted and back up to about 20 feet, I can still hear the transport noise.

Are you talking two types of noise? one at startup and another while normal playing?
The startup seeking is noisy.
The regular playing can be faintly heard even though there is no external fan. Though the ps3 is much nosier.
Perhaps we can generalize and state that thin, slot loading mechanisms are noisier than traditional drawer types.
If the start-up wasn't noisey then disc loading would be to slow. Then there would be complaints too.
But is is an area for improvement.
post #88 of 366 Old 06-10-2011, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Aside from loading, I've never noticed any transport noise. Since reading the postings, I've checked with quiet scenes. I actually had to put my ear right on top of the player to hear anything!

post #89 of 366 Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Hmm, yeah it is definitely transport noise during normal playback I'm hearing.

However, it does seem that the Jeff Beck disc was worse than others in this regard. I've only tried about 3 discs so far, as I've been super busy with work lately.

I haven't used my old PS3 in awhile, I might bring it back out to compare this weekend.

This player really hits the sweet spot for me otherwise, so hopefully this will turn out to be a minor issue. And I could always just put the player in the enclosed rack that contains my 2 channel gear that is farther away, but I like the convenience of having the Blu-Ray disc player on the shelf right under my TV.
post #90 of 366 Old 06-10-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Diablo View Post

Hmm, yeah it is definitely transport noise during normal playback I'm hearing.

However, it does seem that the Jeff Beck disc was worse than others in this regard. I've only tried about 3 discs so far, as I've been super busy with work lately.

I haven't used my old PS3 in awhile, I might bring it back out to compare this weekend.

This player really hits the sweet spot for me otherwise, so hopefully this will turn out to be a minor issue. And I could always just put the player in the enclosed rack that contains my 2 channel gear that is farther away, but I like the convenience of having the Blu-Ray disc player on the shelf right under my TV.

Have not noticed any transport noise with this player...other than when loading a disc. I have that Jeff Beck disc you mentioned too and will try it in the 6700 to see if it is unusually noisy.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung , Blu Ray Players , 3d Hdtv , Samsung Refurbished Blu Ray Disc Player Bd C6800 B , Samsung 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Bd D6700
Gear in this thread - C6800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page