post #91 of 366 Old 06-10-2011, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Diablo View Post

Hmm, yeah it is definitely transport noise during normal playback I'm hearing.

This player really hits the sweet spot for me otherwise, so hopefully this will turn out to be a minor issue. And I could always just put the player in the enclosed rack that contains my 2 channel gear that is farther away, but I like the convenience of having the Blu-Ray disc player on the shelf right under my TV.

Or...you could try exchanging it. As I said, if I put my ear to the player I can hear it (and even then, it's very slight). But from 2' - 7' feet away, I hear nothing at all. Probably the quietest player I've ever owned.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 366 Old 06-17-2011, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently just purchased the samsung bd-d6700 3d blu-ray player, and connected it to my samsung pn59d7000 3d hdtv. I used the display settings recomended on the owners thread for the pn59d7000 on my hdmi1 (hd digital cable) and hdmi 2 (ps3) sources already, and for the most part am really happy with the results (a few shows on certain stations seem to have an off tint to them either green or yellow, but most are spot on). I also watched blu-ray movies on the ps3 and thought they looked good. When I was about to put these settings on the hdmi 3 (d6700) i realized that it had a new setting called bdwise. It seems quite colorful and nice even compared to my "calibrated movie settings for the other sources". Should I just be using the bdwise mode and keeping everything the same? I saw in the beginning of this thread it suggests putting the sharpness down to zero, so that is the only change I have made so far. Any help would be appreciated thanks!
post #93 of 366 Old 06-23-2011, 03:55 PM

sorry for the stupid question but whats the advantage of having 1gb of storage built into the player?
post #94 of 366 Old 06-27-2011, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 34
It's for downloading content from BD-live enabled discs.
post #95 of 366 Old 06-27-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I just ordered the 6700 from Amazon, my first new BD player after almost 4 years. My Pana BD30 still plays just fine but's it time for an upgrade. Will post impressions later this week.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #96 of 366 Old 06-27-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer673 View Post

sorry for the stupid question but whats the advantage of having 1gb of storage built into the player?

I think its for Blu-ray Live advertising.
post #97 of 366 Old 06-27-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the review for those who want to save 60%:

Samsung BD-D6700 Blu-ray 3D Player
By Kris Deering Posted: Jun 27, 2011
http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...-ray-3d-player
post #98 of 366 Old 06-27-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjared View Post

I recently just purchased the samsung bd-d6700 3d blu-ray player, and connected it to my samsung pn59d7000 3d hdtv. I used the display settings recomended on the owners thread for the pn59d7000 on my hdmi1 (hd digital cable) and hdmi 2 (ps3) sources already, and for the most part am really happy with the results (a few shows on certain stations seem to have an off tint to them either green or yellow, but most are spot on). I also watched blu-ray movies on the ps3 and thought they looked good. When I was about to put these settings on the hdmi 3 (d6700) i realized that it had a new setting called bdwise. It seems quite colorful and nice even compared to my "calibrated movie settings for the other sources". Should I just be using the bdwise mode and keeping everything the same? I saw in the beginning of this thread it suggests putting the sharpness down to zero, so that is the only change I have made so far. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

On the 6700 set the picture mode to Tools->PictureSettings->Normal

The only other concern is to change the default audio setting in the Setup Menu:
"My biggest gripe stems from the practice of setting the default for the Dynamic Range Control to on."
Setup->Settings->Audio->DynamicRangeControl->Off
post #99 of 366 Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 AM

Thank you very much HiFiFun. I did notice the volume having to be unusually high to hear the volume. However I recently purchased a reciever and 5.1 speakers for surround sound... so im sure once I run everything through the reciever I will have new issues to work out. So your saying to put the picture settings on "normal" not bdwise? like i said the display for the tv calibrations i used one of the recomendations on the 64d8000 on the owners thread. I have a pn59d7000 but they looked good to my eyes and definately better then the pre-settings on that tv. However when I put those settings in for the bluray input, when I flipped back and forth the bd-wise looked considerably clearer and brighter, while the settings looked like they had a yellowish haze over the picture, which is now in my head and making me think that possibly the ps3 and digital cable box actually has a yellow tint I just dont notice it because I cant compare it to what it should look like.
in case anyone is interested I purchased the denon 2112ci from electronics expo and the pl-89 speaker system from sound distributors. looking forward to setting everything up.
post #100 of 366 Old 06-28-2011, 09:39 AM

Also another quick question, is there a way to change the screen size for netflix? I have only watched a couple things on the netflix through this blu-ray player, but it seems to cut off the sides in like a 4:3 view even though the settings on the tv are for 16:9 full. Similarly I could have not been paying attention but I feel like several blu-rays filled up the entire tv screen, but recently the last couple were wide screen with a border on the top and bottom. It is not unbearable, but I did double check my settings and nothing changed. Is this just because I happened to play two wide screen blu-rays and theres nothing I can do about it to make them fill the entire screen? If so is there a certain thing i should look for on the blu-rays before I purchase them if I want them to fill the entire tv screen?
post #101 of 366 Old 06-28-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Blu rays come in different aspect ratios, depending of the filmmaker's intent [ it was the same with DVD's and so with streaming as well] if the film is wider then 1:78 then you will see a black bar on both the bottom and the top of the your screen. There are some "zoom" controls on both the tv and or the player to "fill" the screen, but it may or may not work with 1080p resolutions, also you would lose information on the side of the screen as you zoom in.

The Hun
post #102 of 366 Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Blu rays come in different aspect ratios, depending of the filmmaker's intent [ it was the same with DVD's and so with streaming as well] if the film is wider then 1:78 then you will see a black bar on both the bottom and the top of the your screen. There are some "zoom" controls on both the tv and or the player to "fill" the screen, but it may or may not work with 1080p resolutions, also you would lose information on the side of the screen as you zoom in.

Thanks I figured as much, at first I thought I was going crazy that it was always wide screen because I was checking all of the settings and nothing changed. So I guess I just need to keep an eye out for aspect ratios on the blu-rays themselves.
post #103 of 366 Old 06-28-2011, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjared View Post

Thanks I figured as much, at first I thought I was going crazy that it was always wide screen because I was checking all of the settings and nothing changed. So I guess I just need to keep an eye out for aspect ratios on the blu-rays themselves.

Of course, some Netflix streaming content (for instance, anything from StarzPlay) as well as cable channels like HBO and CINEMAX have already eliminated picture information on widescreen movies. That might be another reason you don't see the black bars often enough.

post #104 of 366 Old 06-29-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

With some Blu-ray films being sold for as little as $6-10 I just buy them to enjoy the higest quality. There is a BOGO thread over in the Blu-ray software forum.
post #105 of 366 Old 06-30-2011, 11:53 AM

With the firmware fix described in the article and only thirty-five bucks difference between the Panny 310 and this, it looks like I have to save up and commit to the 6700! I buy for the long term and have no experience with Samsung longevity but a SquareTrade warranty will remedy any concerns there.

Mediocrity is so common, so forgiven.
post #106 of 366 Old 07-03-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

First impressions.

The looks, I must say it looks better on picture, it's not ugly or anything but it does kind of look weird. It does feel a bit cheap in the hands, especially after holding the Pana BD30, which is a full size player compared to the Sammi.
Set up was easy and intuitive so it would be easy to less seasoned users as well.
it had no problem to connect to my wireless router, and since not once it lost connection to it. I Like the new slot loading mechanism very smooth and elegant IMO. The player is quiet and fast indeed, well compared to the ancient Pana anyway. I did adjusted the picture control, since my TV was calibrated professionally, so I adjust all source devices individually. It needed quiet a bit of push on the black level when used a test disc[Avia], and dropped the color saturation a couple of clicks as well. The Pana had an incorrect gamma level right out of the box, and it's black level control was insufficient for dial in the correct level, in other words it was a bit too dark. Compared to that the Sammi looked brighter with better shadow detail thanks to the fact that it's controls were sufficient to dial in the correct values. Popped in Avatar to evaluate the picture, and was very impressed indeed. All the details were rendered here with superb reproduction. DVD playback was not so impressive however but I still continue to evaluate the player in this fashion. I did download the latest FW that Sammi offered via online, but don't know if that's the one the article above suggested. The Pana was a substandard DVD player, but my Toshiba XA-2 HD DVD player is rather well regarded, so that is where I will make comparisons to. Any titles you guys recommend for this on DVD?
Streaming was very good as well, I have a Roku XD model for comparison, and they both had similar interfaces, and comparable picture qualities. The Roku did seem a bit faster to load the Netflix UI, but once there they were similar to buffer up a title, or respond to commands. The Sammy some reason only showed the the 4 dot quality scale but no "HD" designation when it was applicable. But the picture was "HD". It also scales to 1080p, the Roku is 720p.
With this player I was also able to stream Vudu for the first time, and I must say it was a mixed bag. While the picture looked very good indeed[somewhere between Netflix HD, and BD] the sound was heavily filtered dynamically, and there was a slight lip sync issue as well. I deactivated the dynamic control on the Sammy and made sure it was off on my Integra Pre/pro as well, so the problem wasn't in the playback chain, and frankly I doubt that it was the Sammi's fault in anyway. The title was "Unknown" starring Liam Neeson, and since I never saw this film on BD I can't be sure if the dynamic compression was Vudu's doing or the film was just mixed this way, but I would suspect Vudu did temper with it, much like broadcasters do. The Dolby D Plus does preserve all dynamic ranges available on the soundtrack so that's not the issue. Other then that however the sound was very good much like you get from BDs so quiet a bit better then what's on Netflix, or Amazon I.V. . But for $5.99 well I leave that to each of you.
I experienced no drop outs or buffering during throughout several full length film watching. My connection is 18mbps cable.
So far I didn't try to plug any USB devices or stream my own PC's content which would require to install "allshare" from Samsung to work correctly according to them.
Anyway that's it for now.

The Hun
post #107 of 366 Old 07-07-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
from the manual I see no source direct mode or choice for 1080p/24. there is an "Auto" which states that it will output at the highest resolution the display can accept. Can anyone confirm that a bluray will output 1080p/24 from the "auto setting".
thanks
I would be sending it into a Lumagen radiance processor and then to a JVC RS1 projector

Dan
post #108 of 366 Old 07-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Samsungs don't offer source direct, nor do they scale to 1080p/24 for SDDVD's. They do output BD at 1080p/24.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #109 of 366 Old 07-07-2011, 06:31 PM

Hello, This item is advertised as having built in Wi-Fi. However, when i go into the settings to connect the unit to my network under "wireless connection", it keeps giving me the message--- "Samsung wireless LAN not connected. connect Samsung wireless LAN adapter to configure wireless network setting." ; and then it shows a picture of a Samsung LAN adapter being inserted on the tv screen.

I'm really frustrated and i really don't want to send the unit back, because it's one of the best Blu-ray players i have ever owned in regards to the stellar picture in 3D & 2D & ease of use. I have since contacted Samsung and have performed a hard reset like they suggested and it did not fix the issue, it's like the WI-FI adapter is not even being recognized. I researched this issue thoroughly, but i cannot find any answers. Please help, thank you very much.
post #110 of 366 Old 07-08-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post

from the manual I see no source direct mode or choice for 1080p/24. there is an "Auto" which states that it will output at the highest resolution the display can accept. Can anyone confirm that a bluray will output 1080p/24 from the "auto setting".
thanks
I would be sending it into a Lumagen radiance processor and then to a JVC RS1 projector

There is a 24pfs setting with "on" and "off" and "auto"

The Hun
post #111 of 366 Old 07-08-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre57 View Post

Hello, This item is advertised as having built in Wi-Fi. However, when i go into the settings to connect the unit to my network under "wireless connection", it keeps giving me the message--- "Samsung wireless LAN not connected. connect Samsung wireless LAN adapter to configure wireless network setting." ; and then it shows a picture of a Samsung LAN adapter being inserted on the tv screen.

I'm really frustrated and i really don't want to send the unit back, because it's one of the best Blu-ray players i have ever owned in regards to the stellar picture in 3D & 2D & ease of use. I have since contacted Samsung and have performed a hard reset like they suggested and it did not fix the issue, it's like the WI-FI adapter is not even being recognized. I researched this issue thoroughly, but i cannot find any answers. Please help, thank you very much.

strange I had no problem at all, it actually gives 3 ways to connect via Wi-fi.

The Hun
post #112 of 366 Old 07-08-2011, 03:04 PM

Hello,

I'm currently installing a 6700 in my HT and having trouble with the unit not responding to the IR signal. My equipment is outside the HT and I use a Buffalo IR-100 repeater to control the gear. I've tried differect emitters and still no luck. This is the first piece of equipment that doesn't seem to function with the signal. Player works fine with the remote direct line of site.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,
Chuck
post #113 of 366 Old 07-13-2011, 02:18 PM

Does anyone who bought a BDD6700 also own an Oppo BDP93? I bought both last week, and have been testing them against each other for the past few days. I'd like to have a suggestion of tests to throw at them to see what the real performance differences are.

My setup is Blu-Ray->Pioneer VSX1019-> Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
post #114 of 366 Old 07-14-2011, 05:53 PM

I think the 2D-->3D conversion feature on the LGs and Panasonics is very fun and interesting. I could stream Netflix, a movie on my USB drive, etc. from any old blu-ray player and the TV ITSELF will convert it to 3D. I saw the Panasonic GT30 do it and it's pretty amazing. Samsung's TVs don't have this feature, which is sad because I like their picture quality.

So, I want to know if I buy the 6700 player from Samsung, will it convert Netflix and USB movies from 2D-->3D or is that just for the disks? If not, sorry Sammy, but I'll probably get the LG.
post #115 of 366 Old 07-15-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskembo View Post
Does anyone who bought a BDD6700 also own an Oppo BDP93? I bought both last week, and have been testing them against each other for the past few days. I'd like to have a suggestion of tests to throw at them to see what the real performance differences are.

My setup is Blu-Ray->Pioneer VSX1019-> Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
The only issue I have is you are a "new" member, yet who has some very serious high-end gear.
So i personally don't like this setup, as we can't see what your interests or bias really are before you launch.
There is no accountability except for a members previous posts.

For a professional opinion I'd just rather members listen to Kris Deering's statement:
"I watched a large assortment of the most recent Blu-ray titles, and the BD-D6700 provided all the picture and
audio quality I get from even the OPPO BDP-95. Images were razor sharp, with jaw-dropping levels of detail and dimensionality.
The audio experience was also second to none."
---
I own last years Oppo 91 and have previously commented that the IQ is sharp but artificial.
In comparison, the 6700 has a rich, luxurious, completely convincing texture and sharpness.
The 6700 is the finest audio player I've ever owned with superior tonality, sound-staging, detail and resolution.
Its almost hard to tell a Dvd from Blu-ray even on a front projector (ok, at least very satisfying).
----
But go ahead if this is a true balanced comparison. But please lets not start a "war" with the legion of loyal Oppo owners. Or start a new comparison thread?

http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...-ray-3d-player
post #116 of 366 Old 07-15-2011, 05:58 PM

First post here and not sure if this is the right area to post this on not, so feel free to move it elsewhere.

Trying to connect my new player to my 1.3 AV receiver and ran into an issue with audio. Everything is fine when in 2D mode (audio plays through receiver with full surround). However, when I switch the player to 3D, I get no audio from the receiver. TV is connected directly to the player HDMI1 port and receiver connected to the sub HDMI (HDMI2).

So far I have only tested using 2d to 3d upconversion using a 2d disc. Haven't tried with an actual 3d disc. I have done quite a bit of searching, but haven't ran across anyone with this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Bob
post #117 of 366 Old 07-16-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Is HDMI out set to "auto"? This makes both outlet active. Also set HDMI monitor output to "off" on the receiver since you don't sent video info that way any longer. This will ensure proper HDMI "handshake", between the receiver and the player.

The Hun
post #118 of 366 Old 07-19-2011, 06:55 AM

I picked up the BD-D6700 Saturday at BestBuy. This is my first blu-ray player and I like it so far. I've not yet had time to watch any blu-ray movies, but took time to test out Netflix on it last night.

For now, I have it connected via high speed HDMI cable to my Denon AVR-1909, then HDMI out from the AVR to a Samsung LN46A550 (have my new Sony 55HX729 coming in on Thursday, can't wait!). LAN connection to router is via Linksys powerline adapter (works awesome with my xbox 360 for Netlix).

When I first hooked it up Sunday it prompted for a software upgrade to version 1004, which i did and it updated successfully.

Anyway, was watching a movie titled, "Don't Look Up" on Netfilx. I must say, the picture quality was excellent, better than on the 360. There was zero buffering problems, streamed smoothly the whole time. But, I kept hearing this split second audio glitch throughout the movie. Was like the sound would cut out for just a split second. Happened about 8 times or so during the movie.

Anyone else experienced any sound "hiccups" when streaming Netflix movies? I'm going to try out some more titles to see if it was just isolated to this one or not, but wanted to get input from owners if they noticed this or not on other titles.

Edit: Tuesday I loaded up the GI Joe movie from Netflix, no streaming or sound problems whatsoever, played perfectly. Maybe it was isolated to the other movie, or Netflix had some lingering issues from their downtime Sunday they had to work out.

I also played "Battle: Los Angeles" blu-ray movie. Played great. I bitstreamed it to my Denon and the dialogue audio seemed awfully low. I had to pump up my center channel quite a bit. Is that normal for a bitstreamed DTS-HD master 5.1 feed, or is it just how this movie was mixed?
post #119 of 366 Old 07-19-2011, 07:50 PM

Sorry for the dumb question. I just bought a Samsung BD-D6700 and I already have a Samsung UN55C7000.
I currently do not have any 3-D glasses. Do I need to get the 3-D glasses for the 2010 model TV or the 2011 model Blu-ray player?

Thanks.
post #120 of 366 Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 AM

The glasses are controlled by the TV. So buy the glasses for the 2010 TV.

- John
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung , Blu Ray Players , 3d Hdtv , Samsung Refurbished Blu Ray Disc Player Bd C6800 B , Samsung 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Bd D6700
Gear in this thread - C6800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page