AVS Forum banner
70K views 366 replies 88 participants last post by  Michael F. 
#1 ·
I've purchased the new Samsung BD-D6500 and BD-D6700 Blu-ray players and performed a preliminary comparison.

I strongly recommend the 6700 with a MSRP of $300. Its 2D playback really shows just how good the new $1300 Mitsubishi 4000 front projector is, as objects in the picture just pop everywhere. This includes objects at all luminance levels, as darker scenes are fascinating like never before. If this makes any sense, the 2D depth is half-way to 3D. Extremely smooth, natural motion and new levels of clarity. This makes repeated viewing compelling as one can focus on different areas of the image each time.

I recommend spending the few extra bucks more for the 6700, as it will be your best quality source for years. It will be amazing every time..

First impressions is sound quality is very "at-ease" or relaxed yet with great dimensionality. Very analog in nature. I need to do more listening.

Tested using the ALL digital Samsung 700 120w channel HDMI 1.4 receiver and the ALL digital Mitsubishi 4000 front DLP projector. Have not tested the 3D yet or the unique real-time 3D conversion of 2D Dvd and Blu-ray discs.

See less See more
#129 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigR /forum/post/20800387

I have had very bad audio distortion on a couple of blu-ray discs on DTS HD master playback. The majority of discs I have had no problems at all with audio or video.

Is the player set to bitstream? If yes I don't see how that is the player's fault, all decoding happens at the decoding end, as the player just passes what's on the disc. If you let the player decode and output as PCM would be a different thing as the player do all the decoding, do you recall the titles of which you have problems with?

Personally I had only issues with DTS CD's I heard some pops.

#130 ·
I bought the D6700 yesterday as my D7500 died...wouldn't recognize any disc. I think that 3D crosstalk is greater using this player with my Samsung 55c8000 than with the D7500. However, the dvd upscale capabilites are phenominal. The best I have ever owned...and I've owned a few players.

#132 ·
Hey guys
just bought this player and I'm loving it!!! My only problem is getting the BD player to read my Seagate Go Flex 3TB hard drive (USB 3.0) I'm trying to play my 1080P MP4 (H.264) movies off the hard drive, since I can't stream them, but the Samsung USB won't read it for some reason. Anyone have a similar problem or maybe a solution? This is one of the main reasons I picked this Player was for the USB slot, so I can play my movies off my hard drive (that and for the plex app, which I just found out, doesn't transcode yet and thus can't stream my high quality movies without stuttering)

#133 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun
Is the player set to bitstream? If yes I don't see how that is the player's fault, all decoding happens at the decoding end, as the player just passes what's on the disc. If you let the player decode and output as PCM would be a different thing as the player do all the decoding, do you recall the titles of which you have problems with?

Personally I had only issues with DTS CD's I heard some pops.
The Hun....Yes, you are right. I am so used to running the audio by way of bitstream to my Elite receiver and letting it decode it that I did not think of trying it using PCM to let the player decode it. The troublesome discs work just fine with using the PCM setting...therefore the decoder on my receiver probably needs a firmware upgrade. I do like letting the receiver decode the audio so that you see the DTS Master Hd or True Dolby indication pop up on the receiver. Anyway thanks for the suggestion.

#136 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh /forum/post/20762635

I am in exactly the same situation (I want the best 2D-to-3D conversion) and decided to go with the Samsung for two reasons. 1) I have seen the 2D-to-3D conversion on two different Panasonic BDT-series players and I wasn't impressed. 2) I have a home theater PC that I use almost exclusively for 2D-to-3D conversion of standard DVDs. I have two software packages for conversion, DDD's Tridef and Cyberlink's PowerDVD 11. Both are fine products. In fact, they are so good (okay, I'll say it, amazing) that I think of them as more like black magic than high technology. I did some research and found out that the Samsung Blu-ray players (as well as their 3D HDTVs) use Tridef for 2D-to-3D conversion of Blu-rays. That settled the matter for me. I'd give you first-hand impressions but my player hasn't arrived yet; I just purchased it online this weekend.

You are 100% right about teh crappy quality of Panasonic' 2D->3D.....I tried both players, and Samsung does a decent job in adding depth. However Panasonic almost cheats by just moving the image forward or backward (based on the so called 3D depth) with respect to the projector screen and doesnt add any noticeable depth in the image itself.

#139 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh /forum/post/20762635

Samsung Blu-ray players (as well as their 3D HDTVs) use Tridef for 2D-to-3D conversion of Blu-rays. That settled the matter for me. I'd give you first-hand impressions but my player hasn't arrived yet; I just purchased it online this weekend.

Here's the followup to my previous post: The 3D-to-3D conversion is excellent! That's why I got this player, and I'm LOVING it. Since I've been putting in tons of overtime at work, I've only watched three Blu-ray movies using the conversion thus far (STARSHIP TROOPERS, Peter Jackson's KING KONG, and THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY) and was extremely impressed with the results.

#140 ·
I bought this BD player for the 2 HDMI ports (to use with my old AV) and 2D->3D conversion.

I see that there are many 3D blurays released on amazon.uk site that only play on Region B (US is Region A) but are either much cheaper than US versions or some are not even release in US....wondering if this player would play Regon B as well ? if not, are there any hacks that would allow it ?

#142 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala /forum/post/20790387

Hi all

after reading great reviews on BD-D6700, i purchased it and today i tried to connect it to my 3D-XL (which inturn is connected to Optoma HD66 projector).

however BD-D6700 doesnt recognize 3D-XL as a 3D display....BTW my PS3 has no such issues.

i tried connected 3D_XL to both HDMI Output 1 and 2 but dont seem to get it to work

any pointers to fix this are appreciated

thanks

fala:

Did you get the D6700 working with the 3DXL yet? I have the same setup with the 3dxl and HD66 and may get the 6700 mainly for the 2D-3D conversion capability if it operates with the rest of the components. Let us know.

#143 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFAN007 /forum/post/20938160

fala:

Did you get the D6700 working with the 3DXL yet? I have the same setup with the 3dxl and HD66 and may get the 6700 mainly for the 2D-3D conversion capability if it operates with the rest of the components. Let us know.

I have the same setup. HD66 with the 3DXL. I ordered the Samsung D6700 yesterday and should be receiving it sometime next week. I'll keep you posted on what happens. If it doesn't workout as Fala said, I'll keep it regardless and just use it with my 3DTV. From what I'm hearing, this Samsung unit has the best 2D to 3D conversion so it would be foolish for me to return it. And I'll just keep the present 3D bluray player I have hooked up to my HD66 3DXL setup.

Regardless I'll keep you posted on what happens.

#144 ·
What I am suspecting however is that we may need to purchase a pair of Samsung 3D Glasses and Emitter to make it work properly with the 3DXL. Can't say for sure but I have noticed that Fala was looking into that on other threads in this forum. If the Samsung's 6700 Bluray Player 2D to 3D conversion looks good on my 3DTV, then I'd say it's worth the extra cost for the 3DXL.

But won't know for sure until we hear from Fala.

#146 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx1 /forum/post/20945180

Heard from Fala.

Said he used a Firmware update. Didn't mention which. But like I said, I'll see how it works out for me once I receive my BD6700.

Alex - Have you had time to see if your BD6700 2D-3D conversion works OK with the 3DXL?? What firmware upgrade did fala use - the 3DXL or the BD6700 firmware?

#148 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFAN007 /forum/post/20958661

Alex - Have you had time to see if your BD6700 2D-3D conversion works OK with the 3DXL?? What firmware upgrade did fala use - the 3DXL or the BD6700 firmware?

Got it and it works! Had to use the BD6700 firmware upgrade.

The 2D to 3D converter is awesome! Bought the Star Wars Blurays and they look unbelieveable with this 3D Bluray converter.

Only glitch is, it looks 10 times better when used with a 3DTV than a HD66/3DXL setup. Reason being it's 720P vs. 1080P. With my 3DTV the images are poping, rich in color and depth. With 720P Projection, the picture has more of a flat depth look. Much like your adverage 2D to 3D converter on a 3DTV.

But again, when using this Samsung BD6700 2D-3D converter with a 3DTV, it's mind blowing! The complete opposite of the TVs 2D-3D converter.

LOVIN IT!

#149 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh /forum/post/20851391

Here's the followup to my previous post: The 3D-to-3D conversion is excellent! That's why I got this player, and I'm LOVING it. Since I've been putting in tons of overtime at work, I've only watched three Blu-ray movies using the conversion thus far (STARSHIP TROOPERS, Peter Jackson's KING KONG, and THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY) and was extremely impressed with the results.

When you get a chance, pickup the Star Wars Boxset on Bluray and get ready to get your mind blown away!

I'm enjoying this Samsung BD6700 more than my HD66/3DXL setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.