AVS Forum banner
70K views 366 replies 88 participants last post by  Michael F. 
#1 ·
I've purchased the new Samsung BD-D6500 and BD-D6700 Blu-ray players and performed a preliminary comparison.

I strongly recommend the 6700 with a MSRP of $300. Its 2D playback really shows just how good the new $1300 Mitsubishi 4000 front projector is, as objects in the picture just pop everywhere. This includes objects at all luminance levels, as darker scenes are fascinating like never before. If this makes any sense, the 2D depth is half-way to 3D. Extremely smooth, natural motion and new levels of clarity. This makes repeated viewing compelling as one can focus on different areas of the image each time.

I recommend spending the few extra bucks more for the 6700, as it will be your best quality source for years. It will be amazing every time..

First impressions is sound quality is very "at-ease" or relaxed yet with great dimensionality. Very analog in nature. I need to do more listening.

Tested using the ALL digital Samsung 700 120w channel HDMI 1.4 receiver and the ALL digital Mitsubishi 4000 front DLP projector. Have not tested the 3D yet or the unique real-time 3D conversion of 2D Dvd and Blu-ray discs.

See less See more
#178 ·
Well, I have finally picked out a worthy Blu-Ray player which is able to play 3D as well as wireless internet connection.

Samsung BD-D6700

I found this player at the Best Buy in the Magnolia section on discount because it was a open box, maybe a display. With money saved on the discount, I purchased the Best Buy warranty. I picked the Samsung BD-D6700 up because it recieved good reviews by some of the mags out there.

This Blu-ray player is much better than the Pioneer BDP-330 I bought for $70 on open box.

The Anynet+ feature is my number one favorite feature. It allows the remote from the Blu-ray player to work through my Samsung TV. This is perfect because my Blu-Ray player sets low on the ground and it's IR eye is often blocked by my table. This is truly form that follows function.

If you have a low mounted Blu-ray player which gets blocked like mine, this is the player for you. Also, I love the dot matrix display which is a touch screen. I think that is a nice touch of sophistication. However, I'm sure that is one of the function that will most likely stop working first.

I watched the Chronicles of Riddick on Blu-ray and it was as good as I have ever seen it in my home. The D6700 functions much better than the Pioneer BD-330 in speed, menu, options of adjustment, on-line content, ect. I also prefer using the D6700 over my PS3 (fat 60gig). I always bit stream the audio to the AVR, and there is no flaws in this operation. One just needs to turn of the dynamic control foolishness.

I don't have a 3D tv yet, but I'm working on that. I have become a little particular about my HT purchases in a little under 3 years. The TV will have to be a great compromise between price and picture performance.

Luckily, I will have no need for all the extras Samsung often want to include in their top model flat panels because of the Blu-ray can do what they normally bundle into their higher-end TV's. Furthermore, whatever the D6700 can't do, my Pioneer Elite SC-35 will take care of the rest. Therefore, the day after Thanksgiving is the date I have scheduled for the new 3D Samsung TV.

ONE PROBLEM,

I didn't have any luck with getting the wireless internet working. I suspect the problem is with my weak router and will buy another one soon. Then I will have to post back to let you know what I found out.

To Be continued

#179 ·
I have the 6700 and I must tell you that should be a huge dealbreaker for this unit.

So everytime I go to watch a 3d movie I have to go into my Onkyo and shut off the HDMI output of the receiver. Then go back in and turn it on if I want to use the receiver for HDMI switching of my non-3d HDMI inputs. Sort of defeats the purpose of having this player completely doesn't it?

All samsung has to do is send HD audio only over the non-handshaking 2nd output. How hard is that to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun /forum/post/20701820

Is HDMI out set to "auto"? This makes both outlet active. Also set HDMI monitor output to "off" on the receiver since you don't sent video info that way any longer. This will ensure proper HDMI "handshake", between the receiver and the player.

#180 ·
I am used to PS3's super responsive remote that is very well designed with its layout and which uses blutooth so you dont need line of sight.

The 6700 has one pathetic remote with poor layout where all buttons are same size and there is no way to tell in dark what the hell you are pressing and even if you figure out the right button it takes few presses aiming at the player.

If not for the dual HDMI and 2D->3D, I would never have bought this.

#181 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala /forum/post/0

I am used to PS3's super responsive remote that is very well designed with its layout and which uses blutooth so you dont need line of sight.

The 6700 has one pathetic remote with poor layout where all buttons are same size and there is no way to tell in dark what the hell you are pressing and even if you figure out the right button it takes few presses aiming at the player.

If not for the dual HDMI and 2D->3D, I would never have bought this.

Well, I too have the PS3 Bluetooth remote and love it.

However, all the problems you bring up can be help by the BD6700 remote button light which comes on when to touch the remote.

Also, if you have a Samsung flatpanel, the remote will respond better pointing at the tv which has a better line of sight. This is what I like so much about the Anynet feature.

#182 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTer /forum/post/21177003

Well, I too have the PS3 Bluetooth remote and love it.

However, all the problems you bring up can be help by the BD6700 remote button light which comes on when to touch the remote.

Also, if you have a Samsung flatpanel, the remote will respond better pointing at the tv which has a better line of sight. This is what I like so much about the Anynet feature.

interesting....my remote doesnt have backlight

#186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTer /forum/post/21178108

Speaking of remotes, I did get the Internet to work and now I'm using the Samsung Remote App on my iPhone 4.

Total sweetness! Truly an amazing product. This will take away all remote problems, period.

Are you using this just for the 6700 player, or do you have to have a samsung tv, also? Thanks!

#188 ·
Just for clarification,

The iPhone 4 app I'm using only works if your BD6700 is on your home wireless network.

It does not seem to control a Samsung TV which is not on the home net work.

When I get home today, I will see if I'm able to access my older Samsung LCD from the iPhone app thru the BD6700.

Nevertheless, if your not using this feature. You are deranged.

#190 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTer /forum/post/21178108

Speaking of remotes, I did get the Internet to work and now I'm using the Samsung Remote App on my iPhone 4.

Total sweetness! Truly an amazing product. This will take away all remote problems, period.

My 6700 doesn't find any wireless network...it used to work until a few weeks ago. It connects via ethernet though. My FW is already uptodate. Any pointers on what you did to make your wireless internet work ?

also will the Iphone app work if 6700 is connected to same home router via a cable ?

#191 ·

Quote:

My 6700 doesn't find any wireless network...it used to work until a few weeks ago. It connects via ethernet though. My FW is already uptodate. Any pointers on what you did to make your wireless internet work ?

also will the Iphone app work if 6700 is connected to same home router via a cable ?

Yes, it will work if connected by wire to the router and your wireless iPhone connection is working.

I also couldn't get the wireless to work at first. I had my friend push in the code 3 times. I thought it didn't work, then one day after I posted here. I checked it again and not only was it working, the BD6700 updated its self.

I would take down my encription and try to see if it pairs. Also moving it close to the wireless router.

I think my problem was a weak signal. I have a old 101 year brick home, 3200 sq ft, with a basement, 2 story. The signal is not so great where I have the BD6700. I have lost signal on my iPhone in the same room. That's why I think it didn't work right the first time.

#192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTer /forum/post/21177335

I have the following remote.

AA59-00442A

that looks like a remote for a Samsung TV...not a blu ray player

on another note...I found an open box demo 6700 for about 70% off retail the other day

Nice unit...I like a couple of the features they changed from last years players

Warren

#193 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 /forum/post/0

on another note...I found an open box demo 6700 for about 70% off retail the other day

Nice unit...I like a couple of the features they changed from last years players

Warren

Well, if it is...

I will find out and see about the situation.

#194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 /forum/post/21181586

Warren

yes my samsung tv has a remote similar to this but not my 6700 remote

#195 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala /forum/post/21182397

yes my samsung tv has a remote similar to this but not my 6700 remote

Yes, this is the wrong remote due to the open box I bought. It's not a huge deal for me but I will bother the Best Buy manager anyway about this.

Nevertheless, the iPhone app is where the love is at. No matter where you are in the house, it works and works well.

I really don't think this Blu-ray player get any of the proper fan fair.

I see thread after thread about certain players like Pioneer Elite models on this forum and most of them don't even come near the quality and sophistication of this unit. And I say that being a Pioneer Elite fan boy.

#198 ·

Quote:

great, now you will feel the same pain/frustration I felt using this remote
and curse yourself for getting this crappy but right remote

Yes, the remote is crapy. Also, your being mean!

Just playing.

Nonetheless, I will be getting a Samsung 3D plasma any day now. That will take care of the remote duty because the remote with the TV will control the BD-6700 thru the Anynet feature.

Not to forget that the iPhone 4 remote app is really all anyone would need.

My home theater for upstairs is about to be complete.

#199 ·
So has anyone else been experiencing the black screen flicker while watching a movie via Netflix on their BD-6700? I launched "Season of the Witch" last night, and every 45 seconds to couple of minutes, I'd get a split second flash of black screen once or even twice in a row. It appeared to be some type of buffering issue with the player. After a flicker, I could obviously see either a decrease or increase in picture quality. I kept continuing throughout the movie. After about 15 minutes I couldn't stand it anymore. Stopped the movie, and switched to watching it through the Netflix app on my 55HX729 instead.

The Movie played perfectly through the TV's Netflix app, with excellent picture clarity. This obviously points to some flaw with the BD-6700 playing Netflix. I have a 12Mbps internet connection to both the TV an BD player.

I have the most recent firmware updated. Is there any setting that corrects this, or is this just a flaw in the 6700? Curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

#200 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argster /forum/post/21193697

So has anyone else been experiencing the black screen flicker while watching a movie via Netflix on their BD-6700? I launched "Season of the Witch" last night, and every 45 seconds to couple of minutes, I'd get a split second flash of black screen once or even twice in a row. It appeared to be some type of buffering issue with the player. After a flicker, I could obviously see either a decrease or increase in picture quality. I kept continuing throughout the movie. After about 15 minutes I couldn't stand it anymore. Stopped the movie, and switched to watching it through the Netflix app on my 55HX729 instead.

The Movie played perfectly through the TV's Netflix app, with excellent picture clarity. This obviously points to some flaw with the BD-6700 playing Netflix. I have a 12Mbps internet connection to both the TV an BD player.

I have the most recent firmware updated. Is there any setting that corrects this, or is this just a flaw in the 6700? Curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

yes, this has been happening to me a lot lately watching HD streaming. on my PS3 it's not doing it, but on the 6700 i often get a black screen then a dip in picture quality, so something is going on. It will also give a black flash before the picture quality improves but it seems increasingly difficult to lock onto a solid HD stream over the last week.

#202 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTer /forum/post/21191518

Yes, the remote is crapy. Also, your being mean!

Just playing.

Nonetheless, I will be getting a Samsung 3D plasma any day now. That will take care of the remote duty because the remote with the TV will control the BD-6700 thru the Anynet feature.

Not to forget that the iPhone 4 remote app is really all anyone would need.

My home theater for upstairs is about to be complete.

Thanks a lot for your advice on Iphone app...it works like charm...better than the crappy remote in every way...however you stilll need the crappy one as iphone app cant turn the player on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.