Official 2D-->3D Samsung BD-D6700 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 366 Old 03-29-2011, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've purchased the new Samsung BD-D6500 and BD-D6700 Blu-ray players and performed a preliminary comparison.

I strongly recommend the 6700 with a MSRP of $300. Its 2D playback really shows just how good the new $1300 Mitsubishi 4000 front projector is, as objects in the picture just pop everywhere. This includes objects at all luminance levels, as darker scenes are fascinating like never before. If this makes any sense, the 2D depth is half-way to 3D. Extremely smooth, natural motion and new levels of clarity. This makes repeated viewing compelling as one can focus on different areas of the image each time.

I recommend spending the few extra bucks more for the 6700, as it will be your best quality source for years. It will be amazing every time..

First impressions is sound quality is very "at-ease" or relaxed yet with great dimensionality. Very analog in nature. I need to do more listening.

Tested using the ALL digital Samsung 700 120w channel HDMI 1.4 receiver and the ALL digital Mitsubishi 4000 front DLP projector. Have not tested the 3D yet or the unique real-time 3D conversion of 2D Dvd and Blu-ray discs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 366 Old 03-30-2011, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

The 2D to 3D disc conversion should be the most important new feature this yearin Blu-ray players. But for some reason its been largely ignored. I guess I'm just out of the current mindset!

So how does the conversion look? Drum roll. Using a Panasonic 65" vt25 display I inserted the Baraka Blu-ray, an outstanding unique film shot in 70mm, and filmed at 152 locations in 24 countries.

The Samsung 6700 remote has an ideally located 2D->3D button in the top left of the remote, so its easy to switch just by touch.
With the player in freeze frame, it took about five seconds to complete the switching back and forth between 2D and 3D. There were no obvious faults.

Before evaluating the Samsung 6700's picture quality, set the displays sharpness control to zero or flat. Unlike the video experts of twenty years ago who insisted that the sharpness be set to minimum, I can only state it now as the sophisticated image processing in the 6700 optimizes image clarity scene by scene. For the first time, the 1920 *1080 movie resolution is completely exploited.

Basically the 2d->3D conversion, as implemented in the powerful image processing of the 6700 works quit well, especially for a first generation product. (Actually as this feature is already incorporated into a few HDTV's, the technology itself is not first generation.) I am pleasantly surprised that the 6700 carries over all its stunning 2D PQ attributes (silky and picture-pop) into the 3D conversion process.

The effect is seldom unnatural, however there will undoubtedly be some occasional perspective distortion. Baraka shows us some pretty unique human emotions. One scene has a lady with her eyes rolled up. Here hair is pushed back, but the added 3D makes it further back than in reality.

I'm sure the converted Avatar 2D disc will look quite nice. Of course, the ultimate test is to compare the 2D->3D conversion vs. the full 3D disc. I might just do that!

The 6700 is highly recommended. The relatively low price, features (like a second HDMI output port) and performance also make it a best buy.

Baraka:
http://www.amazon.com/Baraka-Blu-ray...pr_product_top

Those having trouble viewing 3D with active shutter glasses should have their head examined:
http://news.consumerreports.org/elec...-eye-exam.html
post #3 of 366 Old 03-31-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

I unsnapped the side covers and removed the one screw to see the inside of the the 6700.
High frequency digital power supply to the left, sealed disc tray in the center and the image processing board on the right.
As expected there was one large image processing IC completely covered by a large 2.25" x 2.25" heat sink. After playing it was pretty warm. The rest of the smaller sized board was encased in a coarse metal screen, screwed onto the board.

So the screen and metal heatsink act as a EMI/ RFI shield to reduce spurious emissions and cross contamination. Nice!
These extra care steps taken in this highly integrated implementation help to explain the superior observed sound and image quality.
post #4 of 366 Old 03-31-2011, 03:52 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

I unsnapped the side covers and removed the one screw to see the inside of the the 6700.
High frequency digital power supply to the left, sealed disc tray in the center and the image processing board on the right.
As expected there was one large image processing IC completely covered by a large 2.25" x 2.25" heat sink. After playing it was pretty warm. The rest of the smaller sized board was encased in a coarse metal screen, screwed onto the board.

So the screen and metal heatsink act as a EMI/ RFI shield to reduce spurious emissions and cross contamination. Nice!
These extra care steps taken in this highly integrated implementation help to explain the superior observed sound and image quality.

How does the picture compare to last years samsung 6900 or 7900 player?
post #5 of 366 Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiujitsu35 View Post

How does the picture compare to last years samsung 6900 or 7900 player?

Similar in a way last years Samsung LCD's to this years Samsung LCD's.
Silky, smoother, naturally sharper, better per-pixel contrast with purer colors. Put them side by side with any of last years model and you can easily see the differences.

However I've seen the Samsung 55" D8000 LCD and agree with Chad B's review of the new Samsung HDTVs:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=20195532

The Samsung 6700 has superb processing so you don't want any other component to start overcooking the image. Use flat or bypass settings with 1:1 pixel mapping, just like we do for a computer image.

I guess a fear I've thought of is the Samsung HDTVs and Blu-ray players may have the same or similar image processing. If so, then how do they look when cascaded? Do we want pop or popcorn?

I think Samsung is restoring the high frequency roll off and transient response (without artifacts) caused by filters which prevent aliasing artifacts when originally sampled.

The 6700 makes an outstanding improvement in realism with my Mitsubishi 4000 DLP front projector and Panasonic 65" plasma. Sharpness is set to flat in both cases.
post #6 of 366 Old 04-01-2011, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

post #7 of 366 Old 04-01-2011, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

For this point on, all my Blu-ray players purchased must include 2D-3D processing in addition to good, old fashioned full 3D playback:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/3d-bl...1103301077.htm

Naturally this implies the purchase of 3D capable HDTVs too. The 6700 allows consumers with older HDMI receivers to enjoy 3D as the second HDMI output can be configured to sent just the audio to the receiver.

For those upgrading to a 3D compatible HDMI 1.4 receiver, I recommend going with the ALL-digital Samsung 700 7.1 120w channel receiver. With no analog stages, its immune to interference, and sounds more faithful to the music than traditional pseudo-digital receivers. The reduced parts count reduces cost, weight and increases energy efficiency dramatically. All for $300.
So for ~$550 you can own the best receiver and player with reference levels of sound and picture quality. Just the ticket when gas has doubled and inflation is soaring.
post #8 of 366 Old 04-01-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Was wondering if the 2D to 3D conversion might be applicable on a non-3D Samsung set. Guess not.

post #9 of 366 Old 04-01-2011, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Just as Blu-ray Full-3D was introduced last year, the 2D->3D conversion is the big feature this year. However most Japanese 2011 products are being delayed for obvious reasons. This works to Samsung's advantage.

The overcooked image processing probably isn't anything to worry about, as the image data is only uncompressed/decoded once, either in the player or the HDTV. Samsung has each covered. Cable and satellite box decoding isn't even in the same ballpark. Also Samsung 6700 Blu-ray decoding/image processing is superior to the latest ATI decoding. That lively contest has gone back and forth.
post #10 of 366 Old 04-02-2011, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

When I returned the 6500 player to Best Buy they demanded my Drivers license number, even though I had the receipt. No one, not even the store manager claimed to know why.
The reason is Best Buy is submitting this information to a company to track your returns based upon your drivers license number:
http://www.theretailequation.com/CFaqs.aspx

Consumers should ask if your Drivers License is required for returns, before purchasing. I cancelled my "Silver Premier" membership several months ago after receiving too much spam for lousy deals. I think they are desperate and can't even clear out last years inventory.
post #11 of 366 Old 04-02-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Consumers should ask if your Drivers License is required for returns, before purchasing. I cancelled my "Silver Premier" membership several months ago after receiving too much spam for lousy deals. I think they are desperate and can't even clear out last years inventory.

It's a new company wide policy. Since there are no restocking fees on anything in the store anymore, they require a driver's license to detect/create a database of people who are serial returners or who "rent" electronics (for a game, party, trip, etc.). It sucks, but I don't think there's really a better way.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
post #12 of 366 Old 04-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Does this player output from both hdmi outs simultaneously? Or is that a dumb question?????? I ask because I was thinking of useing it for my new PJ and would like to send one hdmi to the PJ and one to the reciever for audio.
post #13 of 366 Old 04-03-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

Does this player output from both hdmi outs simultaneously? Or is that a dumb question?????? I ask because I was thinking of using it for my new PJ and would like to send one hdmi to the PJ and one to the receiver for audio.

Answer 1): Single display. The Samsung BD-D6700 allows consumers with older HDMI receivers to enjoy 2D and 3D as the second HDMI output can be configured to sent just the audio to the receiver.

Answer 2): Drive two displays simultaneously. I set the HDMI output to "Dual". Connect HDMI 1 directly to the second video display. HDMI 2 sends the audio and video to the receiver where the audio is consumed and the video is sent on to the display. Works for me with two HDMI 1.3 displays.
This is an optimal setup for calibrating a second display with a know good one sitting next to it. I can do it pretty good just visually this way!

Answer 3: Drive two display's (typical in home theater) but NOT simultaneously. This is the most most flexible and practical approach, allowing the receiver to perform its normal HDMI switching. Then insert a inexpensive manual 1:2 switch using the receivers single HDMI output to drive two displays, but only one at a time.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Note: The designed-for-use is to switch between to inputs. I use it to switch between two outputs. I popped the box open and shorted the two diodes. It drives either my 2D projector at 1080@60Hz through a 25Ft Monoprice cable and a wall mounter 46" LCD display just fine

Answer 4): Use and external HDMI switcher: not an option at this time. HDMI switching with dual displays has always been messy. HDMI Licensing must have cracked down as separate HDMI 1.4 switchers have never been released.
http://sewelldirect.com/HDMI-1-4-Spl...port_specs.asp
post #14 of 366 Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

It's a new company wide policy. Since there are no restocking fees on anything in the store anymore, they require a driver's license to detect/create a database of people who are serial returners or who "rent" electronics (for a game, party, trip, etc.). It sucks, but I don't think there's really a better way.

Many AVS members have purchased and returned defective products over the years. Lets use one of the most common and frustrating: LCD TV clouding, banding and flash-lighting in the corners. Some members have purchased 3-5(!) of these displays trying to find an acceptable one. They worked with Best Buy too. At $4000 each this is $20K worth the merchandise returned.
Now the innocent consumers permanent dossier at the Retail Equation will "exhibit return behaviors that mimic fraud or abuse" or "exhibit habits that are inconsistent with the retailer’s return policy". Other stores will pick up on this too! So the consumer can buy but never return even defective merchandise.
To make a determination the retailer will need to transfer your purchase history to the Retail Equation. As a third party, Retail Equation has no agreement with consumers. They will only talk to you on the phone. No written reports, to fend off the expected lawsuits.
In reality they appear to be aggregating consumers purchase history from many retailers with personal identifiable information. Its not just about returns guys. This is why Best Buy is playing dumb...

Surely this will raise the red flags in Congress, as they have crossed over the privacy line which even Google respects.
Phase two will be selling this potential negative data for targeted advertising, deny employment, raise insurance and background checks. All without due any process. America Today!

Always check with stores customer service to see if they demand a Driver License for returns with receipts. Shopping locally just lost the its major benefit: easy returns. Mail order will only get stronger as a result.
post #15 of 366 Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
[quote=HiFiFun;20249571]Answer 1): Single display. The Samsung BD-D6700 allows consumers with older HDMI receivers to enjoy 2D and 3D as the second HDMI output can be configured to sent just the audio to the receiver.

Thanks, I have the Sony VPL-VWPRO1 pj and I want to send the video directly to the pj and then the audio to my Marantz SR5004 and this player looks like it fits the bill for me.
post #16 of 366 Old 04-03-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
2D to 3D conversion is really bad. My TV has this feature built-in and I found it really distracting. I guess this is cool for people that have 3D TVs without the feature...but its not good.
post #17 of 366 Old 04-03-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Lets not make a blanket statement until their are some professional reviews comparing the 2D->3D conversion features. It should become a common feature in this years mid-and high-end TV's, that it will be included in reviews.
I saw The Ten Commandments Blu-ray. I didn't care for the zippy/spitty sound, but the 6700 made the images pop more than the latest ATI/Power Dvd 10 playback. It was involving. Note: the 2D->3D feature of Power DVD 10 does not work yet.

I can certainly see why some people may not care for the perspective distortions, which i accept. As the link several posts above points out, 3D is more involving, as its more natural to what our two eyes see (when is not unnatural!). I like it a lot and look forward experiencing the new dimension, flaws and all. Its free.
Going to go copy my .jpg photos to a usb drive and see if they can be converted to 3D.
post #18 of 366 Old 04-05-2011, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
The Samsung BD-D6700 allows consumers with older HDMI receivers to enjoy 2D and 3D as the second HDMI output can be configured to sent just the audio to the receiver.

In Poland for this option we got NEW HDMI spliter !

http://satkurier.pl/news/64819/nowa-...pro-mk-ii.html
Probably first unit on market.
You have to use google-translator.
Sorry for that.
post #19 of 366 Old 04-05-2011, 02:19 PM

So is it safe to say that I can get the d6500 if my tv already has 2d -> 3d upconversion (samsung d8000 tv) since this is the major difference?
post #20 of 366 Old 04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I think that the most important feature of this player is the dual hdmi, especially for those with older avr systems that don't do 3D.

post #21 of 366 Old 04-08-2011, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufsteez View Post

So is it safe to say that I can get the d6500 if my tv already has 2d -> 3d upconversion (samsung d8000 tv) since this is the major difference?

Exact question I want to know as well. Can save a few bucks not getting the d6700 and jump down to the 6500. Heck I don't even need wifi so I could get the d5500 and it would be the same minus 2D>3D and wifi right?
post #22 of 366 Old 04-10-2011, 12:26 PM

Does anyone know what 3D format the D6700 outputs? Side-by-side, Frame Packing, or top-bottom?
post #23 of 366 Old 04-11-2011, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by janunio View Post
In Poland for this option we got NEW HDMI spliter !

http://satkurier.pl/news/64819/nowa-...pro-mk-ii.html
Probably first unit on market.
You have to use google-translator.
Sorry for that.
Thanks for posting. Here is the English translation:
http://translate.google.com/translat...pro-mk-ii.html
post #24 of 366 Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanzbo View Post
Exact question I want to know as well. Can save a few bucks not getting the d6700 and jump down to the 6500. Heck I don't even need wifi so I could get the d5500 and it would be the same minus 2D>3D and wifi right?
I would not. I just got the May 2011 Home Theater magazine. In it they test three 3D projectors and the most famous new $500 Blu-ray player which does not have 2D->3d conversion. Another knockout for Samsung. Guess who will have it next year?

These three projectors are crying-out-loud for the Samsung 6700, yet its as if it didn't exist. Best Buy lists it, but its back ordered for 2-3 weeks. Their stores don't have it either.
They best mail order places have it. The store I purchased from was removed from advertising it.
Is it better than the 6500? Definitely yes! Its all around in both picture and sound. I noticed the HDMI sound quality was clearer too. Now is not the time to be cheap. In reality its the cheaper players are the internally stripped down cheap, which offers the most profit for the retailers. Pay a bit more for quality.
The 6700 should not become obsolete (cross your fingers hope to die). It is so versatile that the redundancy now could be an advantage later.

I saw the original 2D Tron Blu-ray last night and it looked much better in Samsung 3D. I was very satisfied with the increased dimensionality. With just a press of the button! The new Tron Legacy Blu-ray has mediocre 3D, yet its premium priced.
So I'll reward the cheapskate producers by purchasing the 2D and convert it with the 6700 for free. Just purchasing 2-3 of the 2D discs will pay for the upgrade.
The players conversion quality may be better or different too. All I know is it it the best new feature in a long time. Samsung stands alone.
post #25 of 366 Old 04-11-2011, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These three projectors are crying-out-loud for the Samsung 6700, yet its as if it didn't exist. Best Buy lists it, but its back ordered for 2-3 weeks. Their stores don't have it either.
They best mail order places have it. The store I purchased from was removed from advertising it.

I had no trouble picking it up at a store 2 weeks ago. Wasn't looking for it, but they just happened to have it. Don't have a 3D set, but 2D looks very nice. Amazon has it for $30 below list.

post #26 of 366 Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
I think that the most important feature of this player is the dual hdmi, especially for those with older avr systems that don't do 3D.
I second this! I have a 2D TV still and a 1.3 Receiver, and love the "future proof" ability to buy a 3D TV with no need for replacing my 18 month-old Onkyo AVR.
post #27 of 366 Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does this not come in black?

Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die.
-John Donne

My Home Theater (QTVR)
"Thirst is worse than homesickness"
post #28 of 366 Old 04-14-2011, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post

Does this not come in black?

Actually, the player IS black...it's just the top panel that is silver.

post #29 of 366 Old 04-15-2011, 06:00 PM

I've read many times before of Samsung owners having problems with their blu ray players, for example, Netflix not streaming as it should, problems playing certain blu ray discs, discs freezing, firmware upgrade problems, etc. Of course, I'm referring to older models and not the latest in their 2011 lineup. I am trying to upgrade my player (Sony BDP-S570) and LCD TV (Samsung LCD 46 inch), both which are located in the family room. I really want to upgrade to a 3D plasma from Panasonic, such as the GT30. I've heard mixed reviews from that set, but because of the thinner bezel, I can now fit a 50 inch plasma in my built in, which sits over my fireplace. As far as blu ray players, I am trying to decide between the Panasonic DMP-BDT210 and Sony BDP-S780. However, I 've been looking at the Samsung 6700 as well and really like the overall design. I've heard some complaints on the Panasonic BDT210 related to Netflix connectivity and wireless setup. I haven't seen too many reviews on the S780.

HiFiFun,
I've never owned a Samsung blu ray player, so my question is; Do you think Samsung has finally fixed all the bugs previously found on their older model players? How is the dvd upconversion? Have you experienced any picture/audio drop outs playing blu rays?
post #30 of 366 Old 04-15-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

HiFiFun,
I've never owned a Samsung blu ray player, so my question is; Do you think Samsung has finally fixed all the bugs previously found on their older model players? How is the dvd upconversion? Have you experienced any picture/audio drop outs playing blu rays?

No problem with mine, at least so far. BDs, DVDs, CDs, and NF all have been fine. The one VuDu HDX film I streamed was fine as well.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung , Blu Ray Players , 3d Hdtv , Samsung Refurbished Blu Ray Disc Player Bd C6800 B , Samsung 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Bd D6700
Gear in this thread - C6800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page