Official Panasonic DMP-BD75 Owner's thread (all questions and comments go here) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 231 Old 05-26-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier

I did not know there was a 1.30 firmware update. I don't see it on the Panny website.
It's for Latin America, not the States.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 231 Old 05-26-2011, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

It's for Latin America, not the States.

Got it.
post #33 of 231 Old 05-27-2011, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so do you mean that the update is only for Latin America? it is just hooked up to the net and the firmware update went automatic! I live in an other part of this planet(Finland).
It just makes me angry that it was working fine before...
post #34 of 231 Old 05-27-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard12 View Post

so do you mean that the update is only for Latin America? it is just hooked up to the net and the firmware update went automatic! I live in an other part of this planet(Finland).
It just makes me angry that it was working fine before...

Not necessarily. When at the global support site you have to pick a region. For north america there were two choices, 1.19 for the us and canada and 1.30 designated for latin america. If your menus aren't in spanish you probably have the right firmware.
post #35 of 231 Old 05-28-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Not necessarily. When at the global support site you have to pick a region. For north america there were two choices, 1.19 for the us and canada and 1.30 designated for latin america. If your menus aren't in spanish you probably have the right firmware.

thank you for the information...
But the problem is still not solved i think i have to figure out some other way to get it fixed!
post #36 of 231 Old 06-15-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEast View Post

I'm seeing the same freeze on my new BD75 with a WHS sitting on the same network.

I ran Wireshark on the WHS and the problem appears to be caused by the use of the SSDP protocol. When I disable SSDP on the WHS then the BD75 runs fine. Something that the WHS is returning is causing the BD75 to lock up. Regardless of what the WHS is returning, the BD75 should never freeze.

I'm now contemplating whether to call Panasonic support. I have a feeling that trying to get them to understand the problem is going to be difficult.

Steve.

Good work Steve,
I followed your tip and disabled SSDP on my WHS and the player stopped locikng up once connected to my LAN. Still no fix for this with v1.30, I just bought this player & am considering returning it due to this issue. Maybe Panasonic can fix with a new firmware update?
Cheers,
mixdup
post #37 of 231 Old 06-16-2011, 12:03 PM

Liked: 19
I purchased the dmp 75 (755 with hdmi cable) yesterday from Cosco for the purpose of playing DVDs. I set the picture quality to fine. I have the DVD and Blu Ray of Thunderball. The picture quality is excellent in both cases. Hard to tell the difference. Great little machine. I don't use the internet connection. I use the audioquest Forest hdmi, which is far better than the sony, monster and vizio hdmi cables that I had.
post #38 of 231 Old 06-18-2011, 08:49 PM

I have lock ups when hooked to our LAN, but no servers. The closest thing to a server would iTunes Bonjour service on some of the computers on the network.
post #39 of 231 Old 06-21-2011, 01:49 PM

Same problem with the network (BD75 on a network with WHS). Turning off SSDP and it worked. Trying to decide if I am taking it back. Anyone else return it and find something that worked okay beside the DMP-BDT210?
post #40 of 231 Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 AM

I just set one of these up for my Dad last night. I have the BD65 which has been great.

I had a problem with Netflix though. Movies are showing up in 4:3 and not 16X9. Disks play at 16x9 and all of the menus including the Netflix interface are 16X9 but two movies we tried were in the smaller format.

The only thing I didn't have time to try was to go to the HDMI settings and switch from "auto" to 720P since he has a 720P TV. Thinking that maybe player is sending 1080p and the TV is not handling right. Asking him to try this today.

Anyone else have problems with ratio using Netflix?
Thanks,
Scott
post #41 of 231 Old 06-30-2011, 01:32 PM

Just got disconnected 3 times trying to get help w/ this unit (not recognized on my LAN). After being connected to Kitchen Appliances and next an automated recording on how to return items, I gave up. Unbelievable. I guess Panasonic wants to encourage returns.
post #42 of 231 Old 07-04-2011, 11:01 AM

I have this type of blu-ray player. (1st one ever).

On my rented movies, i ocassionally get a very loud hissing/screeching noise during previews. It stops once the movie starts.

Hard to describe, as its the onlything you can hear.

Two questions. What causes this, and how do i correct it?

Thx!!!

PM
post #43 of 231 Old 07-04-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Does this player output 5.1 from Netflix streaming? If so, I was thinking of replacing my BD65 with this, but it doesn't seem too reliable. What do you guys think? Would my next cheapest option be the Pan. 110? Thanks.
post #44 of 231 Old 07-05-2011, 07:45 AM

From the 65, go to the 110. The 75 has a limited net option and not the full Viara Cast as the 65 or 110.
The 75 only has four services: Netflix, Vudu and two others I can't remember. The new interfaces of all are improved and faster.
post #45 of 231 Old 07-06-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Well for $85 at Costco I figured I'd give this player a try, while I have no major complaints I will be returning it and purchasing a floor model 65 for about the same price.
The good:
BR picture quality, pretty good DVD upconversion(after setting mode to VIDEO) but not as good as my dedicated DVD players.
Slim design.
5 different programmable remote codes so you can have many different Panasonic products and not clash codes.
Pretty decent setup menu, easy to understand even without reading manual.
Quiet operation(no fan).

Bad:
Dim display even when set to BRIGHT, dim was barely visible.
No REV slow mo or REV frame advance.
No RAM disc playback, the 65 has this and it's one reason for my exchange.
No component outputs, the 65 has component outputs.
No composite output when HDMI is set to anything other than SD.
Resume only works until disc is ejected(and as with all BR players not with Java BRs).
No Zoom function, not sure about the 65.

I could certainly live with this player but I think I'll like the features of the 65 a bit better
I don't use any online features so no comment on those. Oh I did notice one odd quirk playing with this machine. The subtitles would occasionally turn themselves on when starting a disc even though I never enabled them easy to turn off though.
post #46 of 231 Old 07-07-2011, 03:30 AM

I have the aussie model of this player and i just want to know if others experience this issue.

I can't seem to get the player to resume movies.
I have tried watching a bluray and mkv etc.. files but when i turn off the machine then turn it on next day and reload the file it starts from the beginning again. It does not ask me to resume or anything.

I should add that I just turn it off I do not press stop first maybe I have to? even so seems silly that i would have to.
post #47 of 231 Old 07-07-2011, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mine will resume a DVD as long as I don't eject it(turning it off is OK) but it won't resume a BR disc. I assumed this was because all my BRs had Java which I've read cannot be resumed. To verify I'd suggest you first try a regular DVD to see if it resumes. I didn't notice that I had to push STOP to enable resume(like you have to do on Pioneer DVD players with the resume feature) but out of habit I just pushed PLAY to turn on and start resuming my DVD, maybe that was a key?
post #48 of 231 Old 07-07-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Mine will resume a DVD as long as I don't eject it(turning it off is OK) but it won't resume a BR disc. I assumed this was because all my BRs had Java which I've read cannot be resumed. To verify I'd suggest you first try a regular DVD to see if it resumes. I didn't notice that I had to push STOP to enable resume(like you have to do on Pioneer DVD players with the resume feature) but out of habit I just pushed PLAY to turn on and start resuming my DVD, maybe that was a key?

If a Java BD is programmed for Resume they wil do it. Just got the LOTR EE and it Resumes. Some studios started doing this within the last year.
post #49 of 231 Old 07-07-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Good to know, glad studios are finally starting to realize people like Resume, a feature available with DVDs for at least 10 years
Aussie guy, did some testing and I found out that nothing special is required to activate resume as long as your BR supports it. To activate resume I like to just push PLAY while the machine is off, doing so will automatically resume your title. If you push POWER you will be asked if you want to resume to push PLAY, if you push STOP and then PLAY your title will start from the beginning.
Only one of my small collection of BRs allow resume, Java sure must be prevalent(and the non-resume variety)
post #50 of 231 Old 07-08-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:

snip

Only one of my small collection of BRs allow resume, Java sure must be prevalent(and the non-resume variety)

thanks for testing it. I had no idea only some BRs support this feature seems very stupid IMO.

For what its worth I was very disappointed with this model.
First the front only usb, then no playback of Mp4 files, then no resume and to top it off its region locked for SD DVDs as well as BRs.

I'm selling my player and have just bought a Sony S580 which does everything I want including resume though the resume feature is not as good as the old SD DVD players used to have. I guess I have to test a few BRs to see how it handles it. My player even came with a free 3d BR.

The only annoyance is that they have coax out and not optical. Doesnt effect me however as I just use HDMI out but really whats up with that?

The other thing I would have wanted is a search feature where you can input a time stamp and it would jump to that point. No BD player seems to have this feature AFAIK. Its not a priority though.
post #51 of 231 Old 07-08-2011, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_to_ms666 View Post

I'm selling my player and have just bought a Sony S580 which does everything I want including resume though the resume feature is not as good as the old SD DVD players used to have. I guess I have to test a few BRs to see how it handles it. My player even came with a free 3d BR.

The only annoyance is that they have coax out and not optical. Doesnt effect me however as I just use HDMI out but really whats up with that?

The other thing I would have wanted is a search feature where you can input a time stamp and it would jump to that point. No BD player seems to have this feature AFAIK. Its not a priority though.

Funny you should mention the time search function. I also missed that when I wanted to go-to a part deep in a BR disc. It had Java so it wouldn't resume so time search would have been so handy. Instead I had to use NEXT multiple times followed by visual search. Taking into account the time it took me to get through all the forced FBI warnings I'd guess it took me over a minute(and tons of remote pushing) to get back to my original part. Compare this to my older(mostly Sony) DVD players where resume(or even time-search) would have taken me a matter of seconds and only the PLAY button, progress eh
BTW all my DVD players seem to have optical audio out, not sure why the BR players wouldn't must be a another benefit of BR

Good luck with your Sony, I was also thinking of getting a Sony BR(love their DVD players of yesterday) but I wasn't too happy with their DVD up conversion quality when I did more extensive testing last year. The x60 series tested quite well but not so with the x70 and I just assumed the x80 series would be similar to the x70. Whatever the outcome I think I'm just going stick with my floor model Panny 65 when it arrives next week, I'm done testing and just want something to watch mostly BRs and the occasional DVD
post #52 of 231 Old 07-08-2011, 06:22 PM

Its just sony and toshiba that do coax out for some reason. Sony did it on their DVD players also.

Since watching HD content SD DVDs are now dead to me even with super duper up conversion they will never compete anymore.

With the sony turns out it has one major flaw, it doesnt handle subtitles on mkv etc.. files too well at all. Some don't play

Why is it so hard to get a player that just works as it should all it had to do was subtitles and I would have been a very happy camper
post #53 of 231 Old 07-10-2011, 08:26 PM

Liked: 17
My JVC is crapping out.
I just wanna watch movies, could care less about 3D, and a wireless connection.
Is the Blu-ray and SD-DVD performance of the BD75 the same as the higher end models such as the 110, 210, 310?
post #54 of 231 Old 07-13-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I got my floor model 65 and have been playing with it for a few days. Thought I'd compare it to the new 75 and see if any of my complaints were resolved. Original posts were talking about the new BD75 and new posts are talking about last years BD65.

Quote:

Well for $85 at Costco I figured I'd give this player a try, while I have no major complaints I will be returning it and purchasing a floor model 65 for about the same price.

Same price(+ shipping for my 65).

The good:
Quote:

BR picture quality, pretty good DVD upconversion(after setting mode to VIDEO) but not as good as my dedicated DVD players.

Better picture quality(DVD upconversion) with the 65 but still not quite up to the quality of my Sony 700 DVD player via HDMI.
Quote:

Slim design.

Not quite as slim and a tad deeper but still pretty good.
Quote:

5 different programmable remote codes so you can have many different Panasonic products and not clash codes.

Only 3 different codes(like all my other older Panasonics) I really liked the extra 4 and 5 codes but can live with 3.
Quote:

Pretty decent setup menu, easy to understand even without reading manual.

While different the 65 isn't bad either.

Quote:

Quiet operation(no fan).

No fan on the 65 either but the drive does make a little noise, audible a very quiet room.

Bad:
Quote:

Dim display even when set to BRIGHT, dim was barely visible. This is a real disadvantage of the 75.

65 is MUCH easier to see, much brighter!
Quote:

No REV slow mo or REV frame advance.

With the 65 you can REV slow mo DVDs but NOT with BR discs
Quote:

No RAM disc playback, the 65 has this and it's one reason for my exchange.

65 plays RAM discs just fine.
Quote:

No component outputs, the 65 has component outputs.

As mentioned the 65 does have component outputs.
Quote:

No composite output when HDMI is set to anything other than SD.

Composite active all the time, even when playing a 24 Hz BR disc which the manual says will disable composite output
Quote:

Resume only works until disc is ejected(and as with all BR players not with Java BRs).

Same with 65.
Quote:

No Zoom function, not sure about the 65.

65 has zoom

I could certainly live with this player but I think I'll like the features of the 65 a bit better
I don't use any online features so no comment on those.
Quote:

Oh I did notice one odd quirk playing with this machine. The subtitles would occasionally turn themselves on when starting a disc even though I never enabled them easy to turn off though.

Haven't had the subtitles turn themselves on with the 65, time will tell.....The 65 is a keeper for me.
post #55 of 231 Old 07-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I bought a BD75 earlier today. It's actually my first BD player....although I've got almost 400 BDs and I've been using a PS3 for 3.5 years .

The PS3 finally started glitching so I got a BD75 as my first standalone player.

After working out an initial odd ball problem, it's working just fine.

Here's the funny thing: I have this connected to my 60" Sharp Quattron through a Sony 7.1 channel receiver. When I was doing my first tests, EVERY time the menu came up, the TV would switch from "HDMI 5" (which is the input for my player) to "HDMI 4" which is unused. The net result is that I'd still hear the disc but wouldn't see a picture. Then I'd have to reselect HDMI 5 to get my picture back! It then continued to play perfectly. But if I hit the button to bring up the menu, the TV would again go to HDMI 4!

This wasn't a conflict with the remote. It even happened when the disc first starts and the menu comes up before even touching the BD remote. And, to double check, I even put black electrical tape over the sensor on my TV to block any signal from the BD remote. However, it made no difference. As soon as I tried to bring up the BD menu, the TV would switch over to HDMI 4 and my picture would be lost until I picked up the TV remote and switched back!

I was completely flummoxed and a bit annoyed. Then I decided to try an obvious solution. If this player WANTS to keep forcing my TV to HDMI 4, why don't I just use HDMI 4? So I simply unplugged the cable from HDMI 5 and moved it over to HDMI 4.

Well, it works perfectly. No problems. I can bring up the menu and use the various functions and everything is exactly as it should be. Great picture and sound and easy to use. Yeah it's lacks the bells and whistles but I'm not a bells and whistles guy. I watched BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS tonight and it played flawlessly.

Nevertheless, I'm still a bit mystified as to why the disc menu would instantly trigger an unwanted input change...whether the menu first appeared on disc startup or whether I used the remote. That's just weird.
post #56 of 231 Old 07-14-2011, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

I bought a BD75 earlier today. It's actually my first BD player....although I've got almost 400 BDs and I've been using a PS3 for 3.5 years .

"............

Nevertheless, I'm still a bit mystified as to why the disc menu would instantly trigger an unwanted input change...whether the menu first appeared on disc startup or whether I used the remote. That's just weird.

That is Viera Link at work. You can turn it off in your player.
post #57 of 231 Old 07-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

That is Viera Link at work. You can turn it off in your player.

Ah...I will note that for future reference. Thanks.

When I was setting up the player, I just stopped at the end of the "Easy Setup" and it was ready to go so I didn't look any further. I just looked up the Viera Link in the manual and it seems odd that Panasonic sets it to "On" by default.

But that's good to know. It's working fine at the moment so I won't fiddle with it but I'll turn it off next time I make any adjustments.
post #58 of 231 Old 07-26-2011, 12:34 PM

The review I just wrote for Amazon below summarizes my DMP-BD75 experience so far. By the way, can anyone confirm that NO Pana Blu-Ray device supports Netflix streaming subtitles? (I'm almost sure I saw a screenshot somewhere online showing the subtitle selection available, but I can't find it now.)
--

Plugged in HDMI cable to my 37" HDTV, and ethernet cable to my router, and updated the firmware as the unit suggested, and set display mode to 1080p. It auto-detected the network settings- had no network issues; it connected and Netflix worked right away, menus a bit sluggish but acceptable. My DSL is about 11 Mbps and the Netflix HD video looks just as good as it does on my PC. DVD and Blu-ray disks play ok and look fine. Even a short rewind when watching Netflix will cause a wait for rebuffering.

NO STREAMING SUBTITLES: Panasonic Customer Chat on July 26 2011:
Agent Andrew G says: "At this time none of our Bluray players are capable of streaming subtitles from Netflix. Unfortunately at this time I have no information if the subtitle features will be added in the future."

The user manual says that it will play MKV video files from a USB stick connected to the USB port on the front, but doesn't give specific technical details on acceptable formats.

I found it will play 1080 .M2TS from a AVCHD camcorder (1080i AVC High@L4.0, Ref_Fr=2, 18 Mbps, also 1080p60 AVC High@L4.2, Ref_Fr=4, 26 Mbps from Pana HDC-TM700 camera), and 1080i .M2T from an editor (MPEG2, Main/High, 38 Mbps).

It plays MKV containing 1080p H.264 that I encoded (MeGUI/X.264), but note that the MKV file must be < 20 Mbps overall bitrate and must contain AVC video encoded at Main@L3.1, no CABAC, and AAC/LC audio (only), so video & audio in the MKV wrapper is definitely more limited than .M2TS or .M2T formats, for some reason. It will not play .mp4 files.

When playing back .M2TS original files from my Sony and Panasonic AVCHD camcorders, I can turn on subtitles in the player and see a text overlay with the time & date that the file was recorded.

Note: the manual says it does not support USB hard drives, but it does work ok with my Seagate FreeAgent 300GB USB HDD. I'm guessing some USB drives require too much current, and Panasonic wanted to avoid the tech support complaints on those.
post #59 of 231 Old 07-26-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Thanks for the details on file compatibility.

Agent Andrew G is clueless. Panasonic currently makes at least 3 US models that stream Netflix subtitles: DMP-BDT110, 210 and 310. I use the feature quite often. In fact, subtitles capability was the primary reason I didn't buy the 75.

Here's what it looks like on the 110/210/310:

(screenshot is from a Boxee, but Panasonic looks the same).
post #60 of 231 Old 07-26-2011, 03:48 PM

I really appreciate the useful information! So, for only $10 more I could have had a device working subtitles- grr. I just assumed it would support subtitles. Now I need to see if I can return it to Amazon.

I suppose I should know by now, that I can get faster and more accurate information from the user forum, than from the company's official tech support.

I wonder what the chances are that Panasonic will issue an updated firmware for this unit with support for Netflix subtitles? ...anytime soon?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
New Blu Ray Player Dmp Bd75 , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd75 Ultra Fast Booting Blu Ray Disc Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd75 Ultra Fast Booting Blu Ray Disc Player With Mini Tool Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page