AVS Forum banner
103K views 233 replies 108 participants last post by  cartoony 
#1 ·
Would someone please start a thread on this machine from panasonic?

I just replaced my BD60 with this "little Guy" and it is a very good machine.

Thanks

Chris

#102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier /forum/post/20475219

The Viera link works, but very limited. I noticed that when I go into the BD-75 menu it says "control version 1, which means I can't use the TV's remote to control the play,ffwd,rew functions. It does however power on the TV when I turn the BD player on, and switch inputs.

Update: I just checked my software version, and I already have 1.19. I guess this unit is only control version 1 even with the updated firmware. The next unit up, the DMP-110 is a control version 5, so I wonder if its worth it to return this unit and get the DMP-110 for $50 more just so I can use the TV remote to control it.

Is this still the case? I'm looking for a cheap player to pair with a Panny PZ80 plasma.

PS - Currently using an old Sony BDP and it does the power-on and input switching tricks but I think that is just HDMI magic, not Viera Link, since I have connected 3 different brands!

#103 ·
Well, a few notes about my experience having bought this device at the behest of many ill-informed (and obviously not 'hands-on') reviews..

First of all.. the network lockup issue. I experienced this first after having (somewhat) successfully updating the firmware to v1.30 (I believe -- whatever was current at xmas) via a wired ethernet connection (wired to a repeater bridge, if that matters). I don't recall exactly what I did to solve it.. maybe holding in the power button for an extended period of time, maybe I booted it up without the network cable plugged in and then proceeded to reconnect it, maybe I just happened to have the PC where I host my media files offline at the time (highly unlikely, hehe) -- all I know is I spent the slightest effort fiddling around with it for a few moments, and have never experienced the problem again (should be mentioned that I run a somewhat advanced dd-wrt network setup with a rather strict dhcp and no upnp -- maybe the router got it sorted out on it's own).

It should be noted that disabling SSDP is not a fix, but a 'last resort' patch -- there's absolutely no reason why Panasonic can't offer us a device that works with widely used network protocols. It's like having to run your router in demilitarized zone in order to account improper configuration or firmware shortcomings -- it's not a fix, just a temporary troubleshooting measure; which should be avoided by any means.

As for DLNA.. if that's a concern for you, don't bother with this device. I haven't been able to get it to recognize a single MKV file over the network, and it won't play a single xvid encoded file without your typical non-matching-codec type video corruption. As far as video is concerned, it pretty much will only play AVI files encoded with outdated codecs like MJPEG or Indeo -- absolutely no MP4. MPEG2 files.. I didn't bother testing -- may be useful with on-the-fly transcoding (hw-accelerated nowadays, little cpu overhead), but I see no reason to bother now that I'm past the days of running a htpc with a tuner card. Audio/Picture files.. well, your run-of-the-mill format support, though the cumbersome user interface makes it pointless even bothering.

Sure, you could use a DLNA client with on-the-fly transcoding to match the device.. but beware -- even when all your ducks are in a row, this device somehow gives you the most horrid picture quality imaginable, despite whatever bandwidth you have available. What videos I could get working (most by re-encoding or re-muxing), were just of an entirely unacceptable picture quality (not an issue with the source file).

As for USB connected files.. hurray! It recognizes MKV's! But still, pay attention to the several previous replies stating to use v2.20 of MKVToolNix to remux your files to the older MKV container format.. I have MKV's I've had for years that wouldn't play until I spent a few minutes simply remuxing them -- ridiculous for a relatively new device. But alas, all that effort and it seems to play them beautifully (720p x264 files, at around 8-12MBPS) -- but I see no way to access alternate audio streams, or subtitles in any way at all.

I'd be much more satisfied with this device if it had better MP4 (codec, not container) support.. I imagine Panasonic just didn't want to be sued by DivX, who claims to hold complete control over the format despite it having been created by the effort of hundreds of programmers who offered it openly before a handful of the project operators chose to take it commercial..

Moreover, too many manufacturers like Panasonic are incredibly too vague regarding the actual codec support of their devices in their literature. All they seem to mention is container formats, which have no bearing on whether your files will actually play or not. A lot of my confusion could have been avoided by explicitly stating which codecs were or were not supported on this device -- which would have led me to avoid purchasing it to begin with.

As for my opinions on the rest.. read on..

Edit: For those with more issues with usb-media files, other than the aforementioned MKV container format problems.. I found the following post with a google search (before making it here), which led me to the link of the following remuxing/avchd software (seems to have been created purely due to the shortcomings of Panasonic devices):

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...on-memory-card
http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/

In addition, here's a link to the v2.20 of MKVToolNix that will help you remux your MKV's to be supported on this device (works perfectly for me so far, but remember -- no support for alternate audio streams or subtitles, so mux it with what streams you need as defaults):
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv....2.0-setup.exe

#104 ·
As far as the function of the device goes..

Picture quality.. Understand, this is my first Bluray device -- I typically watch HD vids either in a window on my main screen or FS on my secondary, sitting around on my computer. Still, I have a hard time believing that one device can magically give you better quality than another when dealing in a purely digital environment (unlike all you i****s that spend 100 bux on a 1m hdmi Monster Cable). Picture quality comes down to a few basic things -- processing power, framerate (1:1 pulldown support, etc), and format; and other than that it's all the same data being streamed to your hdtv.

In a perfect world, your bluray player should just take the exact video stream on the disc and stream it right to the display over a pure digital connection like HDMI. A bit is a bit, and a byte is a byte -- as long as you aren't relying on your player to post-process video to account for a poor quality (or poorly calibrated) display, display quality shouldn't be an issue.

As for outputs.. Component output concerns -- seriously guys, HDMI. Component just doesn't have the necessary bandwidth, let alone it relies on an analog connection (whereas HDMI being pure digital -- it's either full quality, or entirely off.. there's no middle ground (outside of format version support), no reason to spend hundreds on ridiculous cables). Unless you have some monumentously expensive outdated crt display that doesn't support HDMI that you aren't willing to get rid of yet, you'd do best to shop around for a $400 42in lcdtv.

And, to that guy that complained about no composite/rca outputs.. I'd rather not see them (and pay for them), honestly.. If you bought this device and needed composite outputs, you would have been better off spending your money on a new TV to take full advantage of your 10 yr old dvd player. Seriously -- think before you talk, or do the slightest amount of research first. You don't buy a brand new player for a 15 yr old tv and expect some form of change over DVD.

Audio Outputs.. limitted.. but this is obviously not a home theater guy's type of device. You can't expect much on an absolute barebones model, and you'd obviously be better off searching for a good deal on last year's top model if you don't have a modern receiver with hdmi switching built in.

The remote.. actually quite decent, despite all the 'panasonic-only' bs. It's layout is well presented, and the labels are quite larger than most other remotes' buttons. My only complaint is that the 'specific-function' buttons surrounding the directional buttons are a bit too close, being very easy to accidentally hit (if you have fat thumbs like mine) when just trying to find your way through a menu (very annoying if you accidentally hit the home button while trying to find your way through the cumbersome netflix interface).

Interface.. incredibly unintuitive.. I can't honestly imagine a single programmer attempted using it before this device went live. The main 'directional' interface is a good start, but getting anywhere after that proves to be quite a burden. Not to mention it has the most horrid Netflix interface imageinable (not to mention absolutely no subtitle support, improper aspect ratios, relatively poor video quality, leading me to believe it doesn't support HD streams as advertised). Those asking about Pandora or other 'apps'.. forget about it.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy this device, unless you just want a barebones device to do nothing but play BD's on.. in which case it seems to perform perfectly (despite a few post-processing filters I can't seem to disable). I myself wish I had sent it back when I could. From what I've encountered from friends' LG, Sony, and Samsung devices (or my Toshiba lcdtv's netflix interface at least), you're better off shopping around for alternatives. I myself.. prefer the 3 yr old Samsungs I've dealt with, over this brand new incredibly limitted device (not to say that the new Samsung models won't suffer the same issues).

Edit: Another point, on the comment of banding in the normal interface.. I hooked this device up to a capture card on my pc, displaying on a high quality old school pro Diamondtron (still perfect to this day), and noticed that the background gradient has a sort of 'stepped' design, consisting of 3 specific bands which still graduated perfectly into eachother. Any harsh banding that may occur, can most certainly be attributed to the quality of your display (that's why they put these gradients in, I believe -- sort of like the 'aurora' vista startup logo).

#105 ·
I'm not the owner; I just provide the odd film or two for he who is but have come across the usual problem of not having enough of a spec to work to.

I got the owner to update the firmware before coming back here for comments.

Elsewhere, it has been stated that for a file to be played from USB, the .mkv file should be things like level 3.1, no CABAC and AAC - all false.

This is the media info of the file that won't play -

General

Complete name : ????.mkv

Format : Matroska

File size : 2.18 GiB

Duration : 2h 34mn

Overall bit rate : 2 018 Kbps

Encoded date : UTC 2012-01-02 16:56:18

Writing application : mkvmerge v5.1.0 ('And so it goes') built on Nov 28 2011 23:58:28

Writing library : libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0

Video

ID : 1

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : High@L4.1

Format settings, CABAC : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames

Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@4.1

Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

Nominal bit rate : 1 889 Kbps

Width : 1 280 pixels

Height : 528 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1

Frame rate : 23.976 fps

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.117

Title : ????

Writing library : x264 core 115 r1995 c1e60b9

Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1889 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=25000 / vbv_bufsize=25000 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio

ID : 2

Format : AAC

Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec

Format version : Version 4

Format profile : LC

Format settings, SBR : No

Codec ID : A_AAC

Channel(s) : 2 channels

Channel positions : Front: L R

Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Title : Stereo

An AC3 version failed likewise - stuck in a short loop, video almost non-existent, re-boot required.

This is the media info of the file that will play -

General

Complete name : ????.mkv

Format : Matroska

File size : 827 MiB

Duration : 1h 32mn

Overall bit rate : 1 247 Kbps

Encoded date : UTC 2012-01-22 19:35:26

Writing application : mkvmerge v5.2.1 ('A Far Off Place') built on Jan 2 2012 23:21:10

Writing library : libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0

Video

ID : 1

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : High@L4.2

Format settings, CABAC : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames

Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=32

Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@4.2

Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

Bit rate : 1 119 Kbps

Width : 720 pixels

Height : 304 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1

Original display aspect ratio : 2.35:1

Frame rate : 23.976 fps

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.213

Stream size : 726 MiB (88%)

Title : ????

Writing library : x264 core 114 r1913 5fd3dce

Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1119 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=31250 / vbv_bufsize=31250 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio

ID : 2

Format : AC-3

Format/Info : Audio Coding 3

Mode extension : CM (complete main)

Codec ID : A_AC3

Bit rate mode : Constant

Bit rate : 128 Kbps

Channel(s) : 2 channels

Channel positions : Front: L R

Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Stream size : 84.9 MiB (10%)

Title : Stereo

The only obvious difference being the bluray_compat=0 from the first file unless the overall bitrate is the problem.

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote /forum/post/21561487

I'm not the owner; I just provide the odd film or two for he who is but have come across the usual problem of not having enough of a spec to work to.

I got the owner to update the firmware before coming back here for comments.

Elsewhere, it has been stated that for a file to be played from USB, the .mkv file should be things like level 3.1, no CABAC and AAC - all false.

. . .[snip]. . .

The only obvious difference being the bluray_compat=0 from the first file unless the overall bitrate is the problem.

Nice.. thank you very much for posting this info. I only wish manufacturers would be a bit more specific with the info they actually provide us to begin with.

From what you have posted (and from my own experience), I guess we can surmise that this player requires either bluray compatibility enabled or the older container format (aac and ac3 both seem to work regardless). I still have yet to attempt playing a few videos I re-encoded myself with bluray compatibility enabled (without remuxing); though I still find the easiest fix to be a quick remuxing, as it only takes a minute or so.

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemr /forum/post/21574101

how can i watch movies with subtitles (.srt) in dlna with this bluray?

I tried with Mezzmo and shows no subtitles. Can anyone help me?

I have no experience with Mezzmo myself.. though, plenty have already complained that subtitle support disappeared with recent firmware releases.

I'd check and see if your software supports on-the-fly transcoding with hardcoded subtitles support. Given a quick glance at the feature page, I'd say no..

#109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by noc_81 /forum/post/21562596

From what you have posted (and from my own experience), I guess we can surmise that this player requires either bluray compatibility enabled or the older container format (aac and ac3 both seem to work regardless). I still have yet to attempt playing a few videos I re-encoded myself with bluray compatibility enabled (without remuxing); though I still find the easiest fix to be a quick remuxing, as it only takes a minute or so.
Without remuxing? Do you think editing the header to read bluray compatible would do the trick?

The file that works uses the newer version of MKVMerge (I do most of my AV stuff using command lines rather than GUIs) what are you remuxing to to fix playback?

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile /forum/post/0

Is this still the case? I'm looking for a cheap player to pair with a Panny PZ80 plasma.

PS - Currently using an old Sony BDP and it does the power-on and input switching tricks but I think that is just HDMI magic, not Viera Link, since I have connected 3 different brands!

Anyone with a Panasonic TV care to comment on the Vieralink capabilities of this player?!

#111 ·
Any recommendation on a wireless adapter for this? It is sitting in my daughters room, I can't reach an ethernet cable to her room due to ducting getting in the way I was going to setup a hard wire connection ... any recommendations? that will connect to my d-link wireless router?

Thanks!

#112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohmer /forum/post/21611858

Any recommendation on a wireless adapter for this? It is sitting in my daughters room, I can't reach an ethernet cable to her room due to ducting getting in the way I was going to setup a hard wire connection ... any recommendations? that will connect to my d-link wireless router?

Thanks!

Try the Apple airport express for $100, you can stream your music to it as well. Or, for $100 get the Apple TV which can stream as well as the other functions if you want the rest.

#113 ·
IS this model more of a bare bones model than the BD35? I just wasted $$ on a SOny(@BB and am returning it today)and I'm thinking about returning it for the 75 if the setting options are as good. I only have it hooked up to my Panny plasma right now and I need settings like `dialogue enhancement',etc for the room.

#115 ·

Quote:

I use Tversity media server with the transcoding option set to never (all of my files are HD in MKV container). Make sure the subtitle file is an .srt file hat has the exact same name (minus the file extension of course), and place in same folder as the movie you want to play. Subtitles will automatically play this way so I use it almost exclusively with the forced (non-english) parts, otherwise there is no way to turn them off.

#116 ·

Quote:

I use Tversity media server with the transcoding option set to never (all of my files are HD in MKV container). Make sure the subtitle file is an .srt file hat has the exact same name (minus the file extension of course), and place in same folder as the movie you want to play. Subtitles will automatically play this way so I use it almost exclusively with the forced (non-english) parts, otherwise there is no way to turn them off.

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedward77 /forum/post/21699443

DLNA with subtitles

Hi

I have the same problem, I tried to reproduce with subtitles.

I tested Serviio, Ps3 mediaserver and nothing.

Anybody knows how to do that?

Maybe, the DLNA functionality of BD75 is not complete or something like that.

Any reply will be appreciated.

I use Tversity media server with the transcoding option set to never (all of my files are HD in m2ts container). Make sure the subtitle file is an .srt file hat has the exact same name (minus the file extension of course), and place in same folder as the movie you want to play. Subtitles will automatically play this way so I use it almost exclusively with the forced (non-english) parts, otherwise there is no way to turn them off.

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmagee73 /forum/post/21699583

Thanks for the answer.

Well, I installed the Tversity media server but subtitles continues off.

I have MKV with .srt files, but they are not working.

The model I have is DMP-BD75PU-K.

Any other suggestion?

#119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedward77 /forum/post/21700081

Thanks for the answer.

Well, I installed the Tversity media server but subtitles continues off.

I have MKV with .srt files, but they are not working.

The model I have is DMP-BD75PU-K.

Any other suggestion?

My bad, those were settings for a different player. However with my DMP-BD75 it's the same set up except the movie has to be in .m2ts container and not .mkv. If you need to convert use tsMuxer ( http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR ), as this is what I use and it takes just a couple of minutes to convert.

#120 ·
I have this player and I'm really happy with it. It does freeze up once in a while after I upgraded to the latest firmware, it can be a little annoying but it's not a deal breaker for me. I spent $60 so honestly the box has exceeded my expectations. I haven't messed with trying to play titles with subtitles however, I need to give it a try.

All I wanted was something that could play bluray discs and mkv files, burned on discs and over the network, using only ethernet and hdmi ports. If that's all you need it's a great player. I think the picture is fantastic (so long as the source material is good quality).

For DLNA I'm using TVersity with the transcoder turned off and I converted all my xvid files to mkv using mkvmerge. I have a shell script I wrote for the command line (using cygwin) so I can convert whole folders full of avi at a time ...it doesn't take long at all. I have a couple of files that don't play, I need to investigate them further. I do have files that I created with the latest version of mkvmerge and they play just fine, so I'm not sure why people are saying to use an older version.

#122 ·
I'll see if I can find time tomorrow to work out getting subtitles to stream, I'll let you know what I figure out.

If the box doesn't support them correctly, then there is a way to do it using the transcoder, it renders the subtitles while it re-encodes the video stream. I'm hoping there is a better way to do it, because this introduces it's own set of problems and the configuration is a pain (which is why I'm not messing with it right now). I used to have it working when I used TVersity to stream to my Xbox 360, before I got the BD75.

#123 ·
Brand new unit. I can get video through HDMI if connected directly to TV, but nothing if I run it through Onkyo HT260. I have another LG blu-ray that works fine. I have tried multiple HDMI ports on back of AVR and player is patched the latest firmware.

Had anybody had this issue?

I bought this off of Amazon and it set in the box for quite awhile before I hooked it up, so no return option.

#124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaC /forum/post/0

Brand new unit. I can get video through HDMI if connected directly to TV, but nothing if I run it through Onkyo HT260. I have another LG blu-ray that works fine. I have tried multiple HDMI ports on back of AVR and player is patched the latest firmware.

Had anybody had this issue?

I bought this off of Amazon and it set in the box for quite awhile before I hooked it up, so no return option.

try a new high speed hdmi cable.

#125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 /forum/post/21723205

try a new high speed hdmi cable.

Already tried two different cables high speed (that's all I have) One was from Monoprice, one was from Bluejean Cables.

Works Ok if you plug it directly through TV, just no video when going through AVR. Going to try to swap cable connections with my LG player.

This is the 4th Panny Bluray I have used and the only one I have had a problem with. Going to try it with a different AVR as well (I have three Onkyo's and a Pioneer).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.