Official Panasonic DMP-BD75 Owner's thread (all questions and comments go here) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 231 Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Official Panasonic DMP-BD75 Owner's thread (all questions and comments go here)

Would someone please start a thread on this machine from panasonic?

I just replaced my BD60 with this "little Guy" and it is a very good machine.

Thanks

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 231 Old 03-31-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think you just did.
post #3 of 231 Old 04-01-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
For any one interested, check the deals sticky. Panasonic is selling this dirt cheap right now.
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

The site's been down and the speculation is that the deals were put up by mistake. We'll see when they come back up.

Well, they are back up and the deals are gone. Too good to be true this early in the product cycle.
post #4 of 231 Old 04-01-2011, 01:35 PM

Does anyone know if this player does the Amazon instant streaming like the new BD110/210 do?
post #5 of 231 Old 04-02-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I am confused of whether or not the new Panasonic BD75 can do network straming with Pandora. According to specs of this from bebstbuy it seems like it doesnt. If not, do any Panasonic BD plays do pandora?
post #6 of 231 Old 04-02-2011, 01:47 PM

My Panasonic DMP-BD65, the previous generation, does Pandora great. It's part of the Viera Cast package.

For 2011 Music, they are supposed to add ShoutCast and Napster.
For 2011 video, they are supposed to add Hulu Plus, USStream, Break.com.
For 2011 apps, Facebook, and APNews Wire.
post #7 of 231 Old 04-02-2011, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Unlike the 65, this appears to be a very bare-bones player with no Viera Cast capability. It does have a few services like Netflix, Cinema Now and Vudu. I see no evidence it has Pandora (not in the manual or any ad copy anywhere). On the plus side it does have DLNA, which could probably provide Pandora with the right server.
post #8 of 231 Old 04-02-2011, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by comixguru View Post

My Panasonic DMP-BD65, the previous generation, does Pandora great. It's part of the Viera Cast package.

For 2011 Music, they are supposed to add ShoutCast and Napster.
For 2011 video, they are supposed to add Hulu Plus, USStream, Break.com.
For 2011 apps, Facebook, and APNews Wire.

The 65 has been around for awhile, you mean they have been doing upgrades of sorts to allow for all this? That is cool if so.

I also have the Panny TC32LX700 LCD as well...does that help couple the Viera Cast package at all?
post #9 of 231 Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
can anyone confirm or deny full BD backups (MKV) being able to play over DLNA to this?
post #10 of 231 Old 04-11-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

can anyone confirm or deny full BD backups (MKV) being able to play over DLNA to this?

Interested in this as well. Wanting to know if I can stream mkv from PC with this player.
post #11 of 231 Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

1.19 is now available!

The machine did it all by itself.

I love this "little bugger"
post #12 of 231 Old 04-14-2011, 11:14 AM

Is it true that this player will only output decoded Dolby TrueHD in 2 channels through PCM? I read this in the tech specs. How about for DTS HD-MA? I can't bitstream to my HK AVR 247 so I need a BD player to do the decoding.

I'm interested in a fast bare-bones BD player but this audio issue would be a deal-breaker for me.
post #13 of 231 Old 04-15-2011, 11:59 AM

Liked: 11
I just got mine this week and am experiencing a very unusual problem. Any help thinking this through would be greatly appreciated.

The unit works perfectly fine until I plug in my ethernet cable. Within two seconds of plugging in the ethernet cable the device locks up. I've even updated to FW 1.19 manually hoping that it would fix the issue. So I took it back to Best Buy and had them test it. It worked on their network just fine.

So I took it back home to try it again. I am replacing a DMP-BD60 so I hooked it up and tested the same cable to be sure it wasn't just the new 75 having the problem. The 60 worked fine.

I have a D-Link DAP-1522 Xtreme N Duo Bridge/AP running in bridge mode downstairs in the living room where I have these two units. I haven't had any trouble with the bridge or any device connected to it up until now.

I decided to take the unit upstairs to my theater room where my Linksys E3000 Dual-band N router is and plugged it directly into it. At first it locked up. After unplugging the device to get it to reset a couple of times it just started to work.

The only two things I can think of is that it might have something to do with the D-Link bridge or my WHS machine which is the ethernet cable I unplugged from the router to connect the 75. It says in the 75 manual that the DLNA capabilities only work with Windows 7 machines. Surely just having a non-W7 machine on the network would cause the 75 problems, right?

I'm stumped. I've checked settings in my router and in the bridge to see if there was anything that stood out to me as to why this would be happening. Nothing that I could see.

Any recommendations or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I love how fast the boot-up is on this machine and I really love the Netflix/Vudu/DLNA capabilities if I can get it to work. Otherwise it's not worth it and I'll take it back.

Jeremy - Tech Connoisseur
post #14 of 231 Old 04-16-2011, 08:41 AM

I'm stumped. I tested again this morning. With my WHS unplugged from the network the DMP-BD7 works perfectly fine. Netflix and Vudu work perfect. While I was playing a show on Netflix I plugged in my WHS back in and the device locked up. What's the deal? Anybody have any ideas?

post #15 of 231 Old 04-16-2011, 10:06 AM

I just got off the phone with Panasonic and they were not helpful in any way. The guy was pleasant but didn't seam to understand the problem at all. He consulted with someone else and they told me they thought it was a bandwidth issue. So they told me to contact Microsoft for support.

I don't know why bandwidth issues would cause the entire device to lock completely up. Even if there was a bottleneck using the bridge but it's connecting via N on the 5GHZ band whereas the only other wireless devices on my network are our phones and my wife's laptop and they connect on the 2.4GHZ band. I am no expert on this stuff. I have got to be missing something.

post #16 of 231 Old 04-18-2011, 01:39 PM

While I'm relieved to find someone else experiencing this issue, I too am stumped at the cause. Like JSampsell I recently purchased this unit in hopes of streaming some content from my WHS as well as playing BDs. I also updated to the latest firmware using their alternate CDR method. The unit operates just dandy until I plug it in to my new TrendNet Gigabit Router at which point it locks up as described above. I have an older 100base router that I will try tonight. BTW this is the second unit I have from BB with this issue so I believe it is not a unique flaw. When this second unit (I exchanged the first one) exhibited the same symptoms I took it back and like the previous poster the Geeks connected it to their network just fine. I suspect that there is some network negotiation beyond DHCP which is returning unexpected data and hanging the BD75. Anyone else?
-Terry
post #17 of 231 Old 04-18-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWimsey View Post

While I'm relieved to find someone else experiencing this issue, I too am stumped at the cause. Like JSampsell I recently purchased this unit in hopes of streaming some content from my WHS as well as playing BDs. I also updated to the latest firmware using their alternate CDR method. The unit operates just dandy until I plug it in to my new TrendNet Gigabit Router at which point it locks up as described above. I have an older 100base router that I will try tonight. BTW this is the second unit I have from BB with this issue so I believe it is not a unique flaw. When this second unit (I exchanged the first one) exhibited the same symptoms I took it back and like the previous poster the Geeks connected it to their network just fine. I suspect that there is some network negotiation beyond DHCP which is returning unexpected data and hanging the BD75. Anyone else?
-Terry

Terry, I finally decided to try a different model completely. I don't really want to spend the additional money for things that I don't use (3D being the main one) but I don't believe this issue will be resolved any time soon on their bottom of the line unit. As a Bluray player it is great. Even at the $100 retail price point.

I've ordered the other unit and will pick it up tonight. I'll test it and return one or the other based on my findings. Maybe even both. I've used Panasonic stuff for a few years now and this was the first thing that gave me this much hassle.

It makes absolutely no sense that the unit freezes up completely just because a WHS is connected to your network. Whether the DLNA compatability is an issue with non-Windows7 OSs or not, it shouldn't completely freeze the unit if there's a non-Windows7 machine with an OS on the network. Actually, I've forgotten until now that my wife's laptop is Vista and the unit works fine with the WHS unplugged but the Vista laptop on the network. So it's not really that it's a non-Windows7 OS. It appears to be directly related to WHS for some reason. I wish I knew more about WHS to troubleshoot but I don't. I know it's a version of Server 2003 but I'm not sure if it has some special services that run by default that could cause the issue. I even installed Serviio which is supposedly a DLNA-compliant media server software and turned off file sharing in the WHS control center settings.

Anyway, long story short, I'm tired of racking my brain over stuff that Panasonic really should have thought through and had fixed prior to releasing the unit. I'm just going to move on. Good luck finding a fix.

post #18 of 231 Old 04-19-2011, 06:34 AM

Alright, I found that Best Buy had the DMP-BDT210 on sale online for $20 more than the 110 so I bought that yesterday. Hooked it up and it worked immediately. Even the media from Serviio on my WHS. I tested multiple file formats and all worked perfectly. I do not have any MKV files so I didn't get to test that. I would have loved to have had this functionality at the $100 price point of the 75 but it just wouldn't work and I didn't want to wait. Again, good luck to those of you who want to tinker with the 75.

post #19 of 231 Old 04-19-2011, 07:57 AM

Sold my PS3 and looking at BD75 as a "cheaper" replacement. Question is, will it output PCM? My Marantz receiver only does PCM and not native TruHD or DTS HD.

TV: Panasonic Plasma 60" TC-P60ST30
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
post #20 of 231 Old 04-19-2011, 01:54 PM

By the way, I actually found out something that could be of use. I have an old Netflix account which is too close to my new account and happens to have the same password. I know, I'm going to fix that before it continues to be a problem. Anyway, I put in my old account information at the Netflix setup screen and since my old account is not active the only option it gave on the screen was "Restart". When you click "Restart" it takes you to a screen where you can edit your account information (credit card included) and then authorize to begin billing you again for that account. Since that's not what I wanted to do and there was nothing that said "Cancel" or "Go back", I called Netflix.

To reset at that point you have to do a sequence of up/down/left/right arrow keys on the remote. I thought it was quite funny but the sequence is up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, up, up, up, up. Kind of like an old Nintendo cheat code.

Anyhow, most people probably won't ever have this issue but at least you know what to do if you need it.

post #21 of 231 Old 04-20-2011, 07:17 PM

I'm seeing the same freeze on my new BD75 with a WHS sitting on the same network.

I ran Wireshark on the WHS and the problem appears to be caused by the use of the SSDP protocol. When I disable SSDP on the WHS then the BD75 runs fine. Something that the WHS is returning is causing the BD75 to lock up. Regardless of what the WHS is returning, the BD75 should never freeze.

I'm now contemplating whether to call Panasonic support. I have a feeling that trying to get them to understand the problem is going to be difficult.

Steve.
post #22 of 231 Old 04-20-2011, 08:35 PM

Steve, my experience with Panasonic support was actually better than I thought it would be. Yes, getting the Tier 1 support to understand the problem may be difficult but if they at least document your findings then maybe there's hope for a future fix. It would probably be best if you post your findings here and let others here call with the exact same issue. Maybe that will flag them to look at it sooner rather than later. I sent mine back already but I'd call and help the cause for the other owners here.

post #23 of 231 Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 AM

The only digital audio out on the player is over HDMI. You will need a receiver with HDMI inputs. I'm going HDMI into my Panasonic G10 TV which has passthru to optical and analog outs. I have sent email to Panasonic Support pointing to this forum and asking them to look into the WHS freeze-up bug. I have also called. Hopefully we'll get a response before I have to return this player.
post #24 of 231 Old 04-22-2011, 05:35 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I bought this player a few weeks ago on a whim to replace my BD60 which was slow as hell. I'm very, very happy with this one. No lockups, no other issues, and the FF and RW are sooo much better than the BD60 was. Easily worth the $100.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #25 of 231 Old 04-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Nox
AVS Special Member

Anybody test mkv files with this little thing yet? It'd be great to know if this player can play them from a disc, USB, and PC/Mac streaming.

Things of note for the test: will it play HD mkv or is it limited to SD mkv files. Also, I'm curious about displaying subtitles from mkv files and switching between multi audio streams if the mkv has them.

To who ever may test these... Thanks!

-David
post #26 of 231 Old 05-13-2011, 11:16 PM

Liked: 12
How has been the reliability been with the DMP-BD75?

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver

Infinity Beta 5.1

post #27 of 231 Old 05-23-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Greetings. I just picked this unit up at 6th Ave electronics for $81, along with a Panny 42" LCD. The Viera link works, but very limited. I noticed that when I go into the BD-75 menu it says "control version 1, which means I can't use the TV's remote to control the play,ffwd,rew functions. It does however power on the TV when I turn the BD player on, and switch inputs.

Update: I just checked my software version, and I already have 1.19. I guess this unit is only control version 1 even with the updated firmware. The next unit up, the DMP-110 is a control version 5, so I wonder if its worth it to return this unit and get the DMP-110 for $50 more just so I can use the TV remote to control it. On the other hand I would be paying for other features I would not even use like SKype and 2D-3D conversion.
post #28 of 231 Old 05-23-2011, 07:49 PM

Bought this unit at costco today... same lockup others are experiencing.

WHS attached and windows 7 box on the same network.. can't see disabling ssdp, so back it goes I guess.. bummer. I guess I'll have to try the samsung.

Edit -

It's not ssdp, tried disabling it on both boxes, still locks up. It is however related to the LAN, without a network cable it seems to work. Using airport express routers in a 3 way WDS with an express for guest wifi, if that matters..probably not. I'm not one to put time into something that is so broken straight out of the box. Very poor offering from panasonic.
post #29 of 231 Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 AM

hello,
is there somebody with the same problems on the panasonic DMP-BD75 that it cant play any form off subtitles (true USB play) anymore after the firmware update 1.30?? Before it worked fine!!!
post #30 of 231 Old 05-26-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard12 View Post
hello,
is there somebody with the same problems on the panasonic DMP-BD75 that it cant play any form off subtitles (true USB play) anymore after the firmware update 1.30?? Before it worked fine!!!
I did not know there was a 1.30 firmware update. I don't see it on the Panny website.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
New Blu Ray Player Dmp Bd75 , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd75 Ultra Fast Booting Blu Ray Disc Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd75 Ultra Fast Booting Blu Ray Disc Player With Mini Tool Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page