BARU BD-007+
BARU BD-007H SE
post #93 of 189 Old 04-09-2012, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok,

I did some streaming tests. I used the PS3 Media Server on my PC, wired connection, no transcoding

- None of my MKV files are played
- Avi and WMV are ok

Then I tested Bluray-Rips, untouched M2TS, all 1920x1080.

- M2TS with VC-1, DTS, 23,976fps like "Machtlos" and "The golden Compass":
They are played, but they are stuttering. I muxt "Golden Compass" to MKV: The file isn't played.

M2TS with AVC, DTS, 23,976fps:
- "Legion" plays, but is stuttering
- "Max Payne" is stuttering and has no sound (maybe because of 755kbps only?)
- "Daybreakers": Not supported (why?)

M2TS with AVC, AC-3, 23,976fps like "Madagaskar 2" or "Kill Bill 2":
Not supported

M2TS with VC-1, AC-3, 23,976fps like "Batman begins" or "Blood Diamond":
Not supported

"Centurion" (AVC, AC-3, 24fps): Not supported

"Die 3 Begräbnisse..." (AVC, AC-3, 24fps): Not supported

Tom, I think you can forget streaming...

But the worst thing is: Today I connected the Asus to my TV for the first time (bevor it was connected to my Beamer only). But I couldn't get a picture! I tried all possible resolutions. There must be an incompatibility. The TV is a Samsung HD Ready LCD, a few years old.

I never had such a buggy device. The player goes back tomorrow...
post #94 of 189 Old 04-09-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by janunio View Post

ASUS BDS-700 is the only player in the world that combines the features:

- 2D/3D BD ISO playback,
- 2 x HDMI out.

The Oppo BDP-93/95 with the ISO capable firmware have those capabilities (among other things) with ZERO glitches with 3d ISOs.

I would love it if the O'Play could do those completely glitch-free, then I could free up the Oppo and update the firmware and use it for shiny discs with this as the media server.

Max
post #95 of 189 Old 04-09-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

The Oppo BDP-93/95 with the ISO capable firmware have those capabilities (among other things) with ZERO glitches with 3d ISOs.

I would love it if the O'Play could do those completely glitch-free, then I could free up the Oppo and update the firmware and use it for shiny discs with this as the media server.

Max

I am on the same boat, perhaps buying a second Oppo would be a wise decision. Here in US the Asus is almost the same price as the Oppo 93 .

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #96 of 189 Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I am on the same boat, perhaps buying a second Oppo would be a wise decision. Here in US the Asus is almost the same price as the Oppo 93 .

I considered buying a second Oppo, but I think I'm just going to use the Oppo as long as possible and hope something else comes down the pipeline that will work (or Asus gets their act together and fixes the bugs).

Max
post #97 of 189 Old 04-10-2012, 01:48 AM

@NeoTv-Tester

Thankyou for testing the streaming "abilities".

Streaming HD does not work, only SD. This is pretty ridiculous.

I really do not know if Asus can fix all these bugs.

Since one can only use it for disc playback and that also has bugs, I wonder if I should not also return it and get a Pioneer or Panasonic, but there are things I like about it. Still got a week to decide, worried that Asus will give up on this player.

I have also read a long Italian thread about the player. Most users returned the device.

Yes, you are right it is also the buggiest device I have ever had.
post #98 of 189 Old 04-11-2012, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
they have added source code update to their download.
post #99 of 189 Old 04-17-2012, 11:51 AM

Hi,

I am wondering about audio quality of this player - especially for FLAC files. This is the reason I am looking for it for 6 months - I need a MP player that can put some quality to FLAC files both through own DAC or SPDIF
Thanks,

After a quick audition inparalel, it looks like it is similar with Logitech Sqeeuzebox Touch - so quality is good.
post #100 of 189 Old 05-22-2012, 03:08 AM

firmware 1.05.01 is now online.
post #101 of 189 Old 05-23-2012, 03:33 PM

Received the player today. First impressions is VERY favourable.

I find it very well thought through. Most functions I want access to is directly accessible on the remote. Didn´t take long at all to feel at home with. This is particularly graceful from Asus coming from the Panasonic BDT320 which is a disaster with it´s touchpad and ill thought out menues. Sony as in BDP-S370 and PS 3 is not the smoothest of operators either.

The feel and the design of the BDS-700 does impress quite a bit more then the Panasonic BDT-320. Slimmer is not always better... It has real weight to it and a solid case. It could have afford larger buttons on the player but that is my only complaint.

The only thing that feels cheap is the remote but I take a super light and functional plastic remote anyday over a heavy nice looking touch pad remote with a glassy finish that is semi functional at best. It´s okay if a remote breaks not the bluray player itself. I hope the ev bluray disc replacement is an easy process on the Asus. There should be room for most anyway. I must admit that the Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG players etc feels like they are designed to self destruct 1 day after the warranty is voided.

As for picture quality I focused on Alien 3 from the alien anthology bluray box. Mostly because I just seen it on the BDT 320. I went back and forth on chapter 9-11 for an hour or two. Picture mode on the BDS-700 was set to neutral or user defined with all bars at the middle and sharpness at the lowest 1.

I do believe both these players give very close to reference images. At least so on my Samsung PS51D7005 plasma television. There is really not much to differ here between these two. I also have the Sony BDP-S370 and PS 3 as co references and they do give a different and to me less realistic picture. The BDP-S370 has big problems with a blueish push particularly noticable during dark scenes and my PS3 may actually be slightly broken as its impossible for me to get good greyscales out of it.

However despite being so similar each and every time I found the BDT320 picture a bit more attractive while having huge problems figuring out what it does. I do feel it give me a bit more sensation of depth in the scene however I don´t notice any problems with how the BDS-700 handle dark scenes. Better or worse I have no clue but the BDT320 gave me a slightly more attractive image while not looking "enhanced".

Also focused heavilly on sound levels with no sound playing cd/DVD/bluray. BDS-700 is a bit more quiet and it also have less higher frequencies involved which generally helps making it less obtrusive.

BDT-320 I haven´t really had any problem with from 2 metre away though and I have thus even less issues with the BDS-700. I have yet to recognize it while listening to music or watching a bluray so it perform as I hoped here.

There has also been a lot of talk on the analogue audio part and I must say it really shines here. It´s not quite up to par to my Audio GD Ref 9 perhaps. Will let the capacitators run in a bit more but it´s really superb compared the not all that shabby BDT320 and the slightly better Sony BDP-S370.
post #102 of 189 Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 AM

Hi oqvist
what firmware are you using?
if 1.04.01,would you try 1.05.01,then tell us what do you think about it,sorry,but,I'm not home,otherwise I'll do this and put my feedback.
thanks
post #103 of 189 Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep. Especially interested in how the new firmware does with 3D ISOs.

Max
post #104 of 189 Old 05-24-2012, 01:35 PM

1.0.5.1 never tried anything else. I tried ISOS and it works with menues and all. mkv, mpg no problem either.

Haven´t tried any 3d bluray ISOs so far. I have tried TT3D bluray 3D but have some problems with the sub titles moving around like there is some sync problem or something with the glasses for those?
post #105 of 189 Old 05-27-2012, 05:48 AM

I installed the firmware 1.5.01. Now I think to keep a player, not to return. Freezes have not gone away on a small number of movies, but now all my .mkv are running fine and YouTube start playing.
3D ISOs (As I said, very few qty) still stumbles.
post #106 of 189 Old 05-27-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSOL1 View Post

I installed the firmware 1.5.01. Now I think to keep a player, not to return. Freezes have not gone away on a small number of movies, but now all my .mkv are running fine and YouTube start playing.
3D ISOs (As I said, very few qty) still stumbles.

Darn.
post #107 of 189 Old 06-03-2012, 02:17 PM

I have two questions. First, is it possible to stream Blu-ray ISO files through network? Second, does the player support menu on Blu-ray 2D ISO files?
Thanks in advance.
post #108 of 189 Old 06-05-2012, 01:54 AM

Is it possible to see 3d mkv files in 3D with subtitles as avatar?
post #109 of 189 Old 06-06-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djvaso View Post

I have two questions. First, is it possible to stream Blu-ray ISO files through network? Second, does the player support menu on Blu-ray 2D ISO files?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know Blu-ray ISO files work fine through network but not all,and 3D Blu-ray ISO dont work.
And my player support menu on all Blu-ray 2D and 3D ISO files i have.Movie menus on Asus work much better and faster than on the Popcorn A300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by langostino View Post

Is it possible to see 3d mkv files in 3D with subtitles as avatar?

Dont know about that, but all 3D mkv movies a played works correctly (lang and subs)
post #110 of 189 Old 06-06-2012, 04:27 PM

@FSOL1
Many thanks.
post #111 of 189 Old 06-07-2012, 07:08 AM
Vf3

I sold my Pioneer BDP-LX55 due to the embarrassingly slow media player menu and replaced it with an Asus BDS 700. No regrets so far, very quick user menu, MKV's look great. 3D ISO's play fine, however a few 3D ISO's are playing with some lag every so often.
Does anyone know where the Asus smartphone android/apple app is, I can't find any on google play store or Iphone app store?
post #112 of 189 Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 PM

It´s internetbased there is no app. Read the manual for the link.
It´s very basic and crude though but with this perfect remote I just don´t see the use of it smile.gif

Spent more time with it and it´s not a homerun but certainly overall a great player. I am not that focused on the media support. Region free was a big draw though
but I use it primarily as a duh bluray player.

I have tried DLNA and it works without issues which I can´t say about my Panasonic BDT320. That is until the movie decide to buffer and all kind of crap. My wifi connection generally measures well but obviously it´s not reliable for DLNA.
I also doubt this tech because one buffer and a movie is ruined if you ask me. It work well for small music files no hickups there so far.

But anyway it´s not entirely stable there has been a hickup here and there but nothing a reboot hasn´t fixed. Not like it happen once every movie or anything like that maybe once every fifth movie.
Still much there is room for improvement with newer firmwares I hope.
Noise levels is in general excellent but then it can get really loud for particular 3D bluray but also some regular bluray. Ít can go from virtually totally inaudible to almost PS3 levels so it´s quite a jump.

As for picture quality subjectivelly I must say though I am in most cases more drawn to my BDT320. Don´t know if it will help trying to get into it. The BDT320 has much more saturated colours or the BDS-700 has much more desaturated colours pick smile.gif Increase the saturation and the BDS-700 get pretty much equal on that level but the BDT320 still has this hugability to it. and the increase of saturation on the BDS-700 sometimes make the contrast in faces slightly much. Both players give a really sharp picture but there is something soft and warm about hte BDT320 and dry about the BDS700 on my set.

As for DVD upscaling it´s something about Qdeo that don´t work for me. I feel it on my Onkyo 709 receiver and in the BDS-700 it´s much more obtrusive and show more artifacts then letting my TV do the upscaling or the panasonic. Particularly regarding say fenches or vertical standing objects they struggle with quite a bit more. I preferr it a bit softer instead in general. But overall the DVD upscaling is well executed on my 51".

Also one thing that is quite oversighted regarding bluray players in general is the function as a music player. On the BDS-700 you can´t see what track you play or total play time with the tv shut off.
On the BDT-320 you can get it to show track but with it´s awful interface it mean you really has to turn on the tv make the change and then turn it off again. pure audio is a simple key press on the BDT-320
but a real operation on the BDT-320. It´s that bad and everything about the panasonic interface is about having to deep dig to get even the basic tasks.

BDS700 has a really annoying thing in that it can´t auto switch between NTSC/PAL. You have to manually set weither to play DVDs for example at 50 or 60 hz. It can´t detect the source format correctly. Really hope they can fix this in the future.

So +
noise levels in general
Interface/remote/build quality
region free at no extra cost

-
Stability
noise level for certain 3D bluray/bluray
post #113 of 189 Old 06-09-2012, 06:25 AM
Vf3

Thanks for the advice, the remote via the phone browser works fine.

I have a problem with the bds-700 - Auto 24hz is set in the menu. When I switch the player on, the TV detects the player at 1080p 50hz, when I play an MKV it is still set to 50hz. If I play a blu ray disc or ISO the TV detects 24hz, I then quit the film and the player stays at 24hz, allowing me to play MKV's at 24hz. How can the bds-700 always stay at 24hz?
Also Immortals blu ray disc does not work. The player stops at 12 seconds and then TV says no signal.
post #114 of 189 Old 06-09-2012, 02:10 PM

Does changing to next chapter work? I have a dvd disc that likes to go black unless I hit next chapter
post #115 of 189 Old 06-10-2012, 02:09 AM
Vf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post

Does changing to next chapter work? I have a dvd disc that likes to go black unless I hit next chapter

Unfortunately not.

An Italian forum mentioned that the 3D ISO jerks/lags are down to the eternal hard drive. 3.5 7200 external drives seem to run fluid where by other 2.5 portable hard drives have an issue. Can anyone confirm if they have lag on 3.5 external powered drives?
post #116 of 189 Old 06-10-2012, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post

Unfortunately not.

An Italian forum mentioned that the 3D ISO jerks/lags are down to the eternal hard drive. 3.5 7200 external drives seem to run fluid where by other 2.5 portable hard drives have an issue. Can anyone confirm if they have lag on 3.5 external powered drives?

Hmm... That might be a possibility. Oppo had similar issues, NOT with ISO (3D or otherwise), but with another format. 3.5" 7200rpm drives were fine, but 5400rpms were problematic.

Can anyone confirm this? I made sure that all my drives are 3.5" 7200rpm drives. Haven't had a single issue with the Oppo, but then again, it's been problem free with ISOs since that was implemented. Would be nice to have an alternative though, especially one that isn't restricted to 8 2TB drives.

Max
post #117 of 189 Old 06-13-2012, 12:36 PM

Hi,

comparative.....................

Asus BDS-700
DSC_8003.jpg

WD TV Live Streaming
DSC_8008.jpg

Asus BDS-700
DSC_8004.jpg

WD TV Live Streaming
DSC_8007.jpg

Asus BDS-700
DSC_8005.jpg

WD TV Live Streaming
DSC_8009.jpg

Asus BDS-700
DSC_8006.jpg

WD TV Live Streaming
DSC_8010.jpg

with Pioneer LX55

Asus BDS-700
DSC_8012.jpg

Pioneer LX55
DSC_8011.jpg

draw your own conclusions

BD3D shame that you can not take a picture. Asus 3D I like it better.

Best regards
post #118 of 189 Old 06-15-2012, 02:17 AM

I finally got to format my Iomega Prestige 2 TB usb drive to NTFS and tried a bluray 3D ISO. It´s a 5400 rpm drive. the 3D ISO backup worked exactly like my retail Avatar 3D no problems at all. It´s perfectly watchable but in comparison to the disc you can sense that it plays that few percent smoother. But I don´get any obvious stops in playback or hacks and I need to go back and check. My tv don´t use interpolation so I am used to not 100 % smooth motion anyway. Searching in chapter can sometimes make the audio pause intermettently and take a minute to totally catch up though but not always..

Gwyneth Palthrow is that from Contagion? That was the most interesting. That is often the difference between my BDT-320 and BDS-700. Setting saturation to 13 on the BDS-700 and they are very similar though. Contagion is supposed to go in yellow so I would imagine the WD Live streamer do better there for the standard picture modes smile.gif
post #119 of 189 Old 06-15-2012, 07:28 AM

I just popped back in to see if this thing had gotten any better since i tried it awhile back. guess not..
post #120 of 189 Old 06-15-2012, 07:41 AM

Dunno only tried the latest firmware but it appear better then your first impression anyway. It plays all bluray 3D discs I tried so far which is a handful for example smile.gif
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Asus , Blu Ray Players , Oppo