AVS Forum banner

Asus O!Play BDS 700??

81K views 188 replies 54 participants last post by  adrg 
#1 ·
Anyone knows when this one will hit the market??Seems a hybrid between a 3D bluray player and a mediaplayer,and looks nice from what i read about it untill now.But i don't see an ETA?

Anyone of you guru's has an insight on things?

#2 ·
Bumping this old thread because I recently became aware of this unit. Here is a link to it's product page on the ASUS website. This unit looks very nice for a 3D Blu-Ray player and combination HD Media Player. Good specs and nice features, including Dual HDMI. I hope this unit comes to the US market soon.

http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Blura...S700/#overview

Disc Playback Blu-ray 3D

BD Live/Bouns View

Disc Media Support : BD-ROM, BD-R/RE, AVCHD, DVD-Video SL/DL, DVD-R/-R DL/-RW, DVD+R/+R DL, Audio CD/CD-R/-RW

Video Qdeo Video Post Processor : Yes

Video D/A Converter : 12bit/300MHz

Video Quality Enhancement : Video Noise Reduction, De-interlacing, DVD Video Upscaling, Natural Depth Expansion, Adaptive Contrast Enhancement, Intelligent Color Remapping, x.v.Colour, Deep Colour

Decorder Support : MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG 4 SP/ASP, H.264, VC-1, RMVB

Audio Audio D/A Converter : 24bit/192KHz

Pure Audio Mode : Yes

Separated Audio/Video HDMI Output : Yes

Analog Output SNR : >115 dB

Analog Output THD+N :

#6 ·
I continue to be very interested in this player. Here's a link to a guy who is posting a piecemeal review of the player (so far, so good):
http://techinstyle.tv/products/home-...r-well-played/

And here's a nice english translation of a Russian site's review of the player, including very detailed photos of the unit's internals:
http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://www.easycom.com.ua/mmedia/obzor_blu-ray_hd-mediapleera_asus_o!play_bds-700/%3Flang%3Dru&ei=UcjSTrnuMsiI2gWltPmNBg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CIEBEO4BMAY&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAsus%2BBDS%2B700%2Bprice%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa fe%3Doff%26sa%3DX%26tbo%3D1%26biw%3D717%26bih%3D613%26tbs%3D qdr:m%26prmd%3Dimvns

So far I'm impressed, except for one thing:

"............................viewing the video leaves a positive impression, except for a reproduction of Blu-ray-video from the ISO-images from an external drive, as Speed ​​USB 2.0 (strange that the manufacturer has not implemented support for standard USB 3.0) is simply unable to provide the required data rate. Plays Blu-ray-drive through the drive does not show such defects."

Our USB 2 external-drive BD ISOs have only AC3 audio, so perhaps their playback would be perfect (as they do on our HTPC via USB 2) although I'd want to know this with certainty before buying any new stand-alone player.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve /forum/post/21265389

So far I'm impressed, except for one thing:

"............................viewing the video leaves a positive impression, except for a reproduction of Blu-ray-video from the ISO-images from an external drive, as Speed ​​USB 2.0 (strange that the manufacturer has not implemented support for standard USB 3.0) is simply unable to provide the required data rate. Plays Blu-ray-drive through the drive does not show such defects."

USB 2.0 is more than capable of streaming data at 50Mbps continously. This should not be a problem at all.

I'm more worried about the apparent lack of network support. Sure, it has DLNA support, but it doesn't seem like it's able to play files from a regular file server over SMB or NFS.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by trondmm /forum/post/21267933

USB 2.0 is more than capable of streaming data at 50Mbps continously. This should not be a problem at all.

I'm more worried about the apparent lack of network support. Sure, it has DLNA support, but it doesn't seem like it's able to play files from a regular file server over SMB or NFS.

Maybe this will answer your question:
http://techinstyle.tv/products/home-...-media-player/

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgigate /forum/post/21392155

But Asus BDS-500/700 is still not available in market...

Upcoming BD player releases are more than often the lifeblood of pure-speculation threads on AVS. In this case, at least someone got their hands on a production unit and has been kind enough to report their impressions.

#19 ·
Well, finally, the part of the review that I was waiting for:
http://techinstyle.tv/products/home-...-media-player/

There are just two sentences that bother me a bit:

"There is a minimal loss compared to the movie on the original disc with a slightly darker sheen to the USB played movie. It isn't poor and wouldn't affect your enjoyment of the media at all."

I'd like "minimal loss" and "darker sheen" explained more fully. My wife and I watch on a 120" screen, so "minimal loss" might very well be "unacceptable" to us.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover /forum/post/21523930

So, am I the only sucker to order one of these things?

Looks good but there are a few things about this player I would like ironed out real soon, especially in light of recent developments on the Oppo front making me want to get a BDP-93 right away.

If it has a licensed BD drive in it, whats to stop the BDA license people from asking them to remove ISO support in the future as they have done with Oppo.

I am pretty sure its a licensed drive as ASUS makes BD drives for PCs and they come with their laptops as well so we know the company is licensed even if you hadnt heard of ASUS before.

3D BD ISO's have been reported to peak at bitrates higher than 50Mb/s so will USB 2.0 really do in this regard and is that why Oppo also included an eSATA port on thier models which this one doesnt have ?

For those people wanting to stream over the LAN, better have an enterprise-class Cisco switch if you want to get BD ISO playback [let alone 3D] as this device only has a 100Mb NIC port onboard.

As far as it being a likely Oppo clone, they definitely got the design idea from there as well as the idea to use the Marvell chip but the internal board layout is markedly different just based on the back port layouts.

If you read the Russian-translated review, you will see that there is no way they could offer it for a lower price than the Oppo just based on the quality of the chips handling all the different tasks.

I just checked the eBay prices and the BDP-93 is only US$20 more than the 700 version of this player which is its closest technical counterpart so its just a toss-up on whether you want to get this one or the Oppo.

FWIW, the HiMedia H900x series players have firmware that is pretty much the same size as this ASUS player. [175MB F/W dl]

This would imply that the ASUS player s/w is definitely based on a Linux OS as opposed to the Oppo F/W which is around half that size.

This also has the added advantage that if ISO support was removed in the future, it could be added back in by extracting, modifying and then re-compiling the f/w the same way someone on the futeko forum demonstrated could be done with the HiMedia devices.

Dont know about the veracity of the Marvell inferiority comment, especially since the holy-of-holies Oppo's uses an earlier version of the same chipset, however, the person making a comment has a solid rep.

#26 ·
Can anyone confirm that ISO is supported over a network share? I use an NTV550 that streams .iso's perfect over the network and I was hoping to do the same with a high quality Blu ray player.

Also, any chance 3D .iso's would be able to stream over 10/100? Regular Blu-ray .iso's push 100 pretty far as it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.