bluray players with network share accessibility (not just dlna) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-03-2011, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
minghi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi, my friend has an lg bluray player (i think bd570) that allows him to access content on network hard drives without going through a dlna client. are there more choices in bluray players out there with the same capability. i would love to get rid of my htpc for playing recorded videos and my current bluray player panasonic bd110 does not have this feature.

finally, question is "What all bluray players out there can access network shares directly"
minghi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
colour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Fenton, Mo.
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by minghi View Post

hi, my friend has an lg bluray player (i think bd570) that allows him to access content on network hard drives without going through a dlna client. are there more choices in bluray players out there with the same capability. i would love to get rid of my htpc for playing recorded videos and my current bluray player panasonic bd110 does not have this feature.

If you mean the BDT 110 yes it does. It's called "Network Drive".
colour is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 05-03-2011, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
minghi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yep, the bdt110 it is...
after i turned it on, i hit 'home' then 'network' 'home network' 'dlna client' in order
but after searching for a minute it displays "cannot find a device in the home network"
minghi is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 05-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
JoeBlow74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vantuky, Washington
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have the LG bd590 with the hard drive and the Home link software built into the unit. This allows me to log into my pc and play, copy from, and access any file that is shared on my pc. No dlna involved. I have never used a network drive, but if I can log into my Vista machine, I assume you can log into the network drive. I can browse my local private network and anything that is on the same network can be seen and accessed in the bd590 Home link network browser. It is kind of cool.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
JoeBlow74 is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
minghi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yepp, that's the exact feature i'm looking for. the BDT110 cannot find shared drives on my computer either
minghi is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
colour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Fenton, Mo.
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by minghi View Post

yep, the bdt110 it is...
after i turned it on, i hit 'home' then 'network' 'home network' 'dlna client' in order
but after searching for a minute it displays "cannot find a device in the home network"

You have to go to the player settings and turn on network drive. Then go to network shares not DLNA. You also have to setup your shared folders.
colour is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
minghi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

You have to go to the player settings and turn on network drive. Then go to network shares not DLNA. You also have to setup your shared folders.

wow.. for a sec i was happy and felt stupid for missing this. but once i added my network drive ip address and folder name it starts searching and then says 'some videos cannot be played since the total number of folders exceeds the limit'

then i tried giving the complete path for the video folder:
ip address: 192.168.1.120
shared folder name: wdgreen1\\video

also tried the other slash /
then it couldn't find the network drive

i then moved a bunch of folders from the root drive to another folder so only five folders would show up on the shared drive when accessed. even then i get the same error... thinking of getting the lg bd670 now if i can't get this to work. too bad it would have been one hell of a deal with the avatar 3d disc giveaway
minghi is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 06:44 AM
Member
 
maris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As far as I know, also the MKV compatibility of the Panasonic players is quite poor. So I guess, an LG BD player or a media player like the WD TV or Asus O!Play would be the better choice for you.

Best regards, maris
maris is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
colour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Fenton, Mo.
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
These are stunning Bluray and DVD players, if you want to play files your best bet is a media player. My WDTV Live handles all my network files.
colour is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Senior Member
 
JoeBlow74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vantuky, Washington
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

These are stunning Bluray and DVD players, if you want to play files your best bet is a media player. My WDTV Live handles all my network files.



+1 A buddy of mine had a WDTV Live with a 500 gig USB portable drive hooked up to it. He has it hooked up to the network so he can play from his NAS. The WD just works. Period. This thing see everything and is user friendly. BUT! you cannot play Blu-ray disks. There is no drive. So, you have to make a decision on what you want. I love my LG BD590. The newer LG BD players are like the 590, but have better networking.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
JoeBlow74 is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Member
 
lanping09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by minghi View Post

hi, my friend has an lg bluray player (i think bd570) that allows him to access content on network hard drives without going through a dlna client. are there more choices in bluray players out there with the same capability. i would love to get rid of my htpc for playing recorded videos and my current bluray player panasonic bd110 does not have this feature.

Enjoy the player. However, the network hard drive itself is already a UPnP server, which can be found and accessed by many existing BD players.
Sure you can install a third-party DLNA server on it, like the Twonky, which is to achieve better streaming especially if you need the transcoding capability. In general, a special DLNA client is not required by network hard drive.
lanping09 is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Member
 
lanping09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 View Post

I have the LG bd590 with the hard drive and the Home link software built into the unit. This allows me to log into my pc and play, copy from, and access any file that is shared on my pc. No dlna involved. I have never used a network drive, but if I can log into my Vista machine, I assume you can log into the network drive. I can browse my local private network and anything that is on the same network can be seen and accessed in the bd590 Home link network browser. It is kind of cool.

No offensive but there is no way to avoid the DLNA thing. Either you installed the included Nero MediaHome4 CD on your PC, or you have configured some UPnP servers on your PC, like the Windows Media Player's share library. They may not be explicitly named as DLNA, but eventually fall into the same category.
lanping09 is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Member
 
maris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is not correct. LG players do provide direct SMB/CIFS access to any shared netfolders without the requirement of a DLNA software.

Best regards, maris
maris is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
minghi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maris View Post

This is not correct. LG players do provide direct SMB/CIFS access to any shared netfolders without the requirement of a DLNA software.

Best regards, maris

I totally agree and can vouch for this. my friend just shared his video's folder on his windows xp desktop and the lg bd570 can access this without needing any dlna client running on his machine. i was shocked myself... kudos to LG
i hate transcoding which eventually increases cpu usage on the dlna server and decreases the quality of the video when it shows up on the tv
minghi is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
colour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Fenton, Mo.
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 View Post

+1 A buddy of mine had a WDTV Live with a 500 gig USB portable drive hooked up to it. He has it hooked up to the network so he can play from his NAS. The WD just works. Period. This thing see everything and is user friendly. BUT! you cannot play Blu-ray disks. There is no drive. So, you have to make a decision on what you want. I love my LG BD590. The newer LG BD players are like the 590, but have better networking.

I want an excellent BD and DVD player and an excellent media player......I have both. I don't like anything that claims it's an "all in one".
colour is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Member
 
lanping09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maris View Post

This is not correct. LG players do provide direct SMB/CIFS access to any shared netfolders without the requirement of a DLNA software.

Sounds good. Is there any place in the user manual that mentioned this? I read through it and the only term reminding me is the "DLNA".
lanping09 is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Member
 
lanping09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maris View Post

This is not correct. LG players do provide direct SMB/CIFS access to any shared netfolders without the requirement of a DLNA software.

Just another silly question: the BDP-570 has no internal storage (I was reading 590 manual who has 250GB HDD embedded), so now my question is: is there any benefits to use SMB/CIFS other than DLNA?
My understanding is that the SMB/CIFS is to "copy" or "move" files, while DLNA is to "view" files, however, 570 has no internal storage so copy and move are gone.
lanping09 is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 05-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Member
 
maris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SMB/CIFS is an undocumented feature of the LG players, but you can read a lot about it in the LG player forums. With SMB/CIFS the player itself controls the playback; so you do not require a DLNA software running on your PC or NAS. The player has direct access to files shared over the network, and (almost) all player functions are available, as if you are using an external USB hard drive. If you are using DLNA, the software controls playback and the playbility of files depends on the DLNA software.

Best regards, maris
maris is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 05-20-2011, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
minghi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the idea is to just play files on your network shared drives just like playing videos from your external hard drive. no copying involved here
minghi is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Member
 
4thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using my LG BX580 to connect to my Win7 PC to play media files via SMB/CIFS. I upgraded my PC to Win8 and I can no longer do this. I've been thru all the file sharing options and tricks I can find on the net to no avail. Anyone else having this problem?
4thought is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 2,710
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by minghi View Post


finally, question is "What all bluray players out there can access network shares directly"

The new Oppo 103 and 105 can do this (among many other things).

JazzGuyy is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 04-26-2014, 06:49 AM
Member
 
jwatavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I successfully play MKV files stored on my network shares (Win7 and Win8) on my Panasonic BDT110. The trick is that the video files be MKV and not AVI or MP4.
I use a freeware program called HandBrake to convert AVI and MP4 video files to MKV.

I actually prefer Pany's Network Drive because unlike with DLNA I can pause, rewind, and fast forward the video without sync issues.
jwatavs is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Member
 
jwatavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just purchased a second Panasonic player, DMP BDT-230, and happy to share it plays MP4, AVI and MKV files using the Network Drive feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatavs View Post

I successfully play MKV files stored on my network shares (Win7 and Win8) on my Panasonic BDT110. The trick is that the video files be MKV and not AVI or MP4.
I use a freeware program called HandBrake to convert AVI and MP4 video files to MKV.

I actually prefer Pany's Network Drive because unlike with DLNA I can pause, rewind, and fast forward the video without sync issues.
jwatavs is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd570 Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd570 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off