Pioneer Blu-ray players 2011 - BDP-140/BDP-440/BDP-LX55/BDP-53FD - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 05:30 AM
Senior Member
 
jleholeho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bratislava, SVK, EU
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

I have he VSX-32, which is really the same thing as the VSX-1120-K, just with an Elite badge. As I said earlier in this thread, the BDP-430's manual doesn't mension 480i as an option for HDMI resolution. Only 480p. In order for the Marvell in your VSX-1120-K to upscale, 480i must come from the player. However, the good news is that as a BDP-440/BDP-52FD owner, I can tell you that the BDP-440/BDP-52FD does have a 480i option for HDMI resolution. It doesn't have Source Direct, but it does have an HDMI button on the remote which will allow you to select it without going into the menu if you prefer to make changes on the fly. If it still doesn't work, then maybe the Pioneer version of your AVR doesn't upscale HDMI sources, but after checking the manual, the VSX-32 and VSX-1120-K appear to be the same word-for-word. Good luck with your new player!

Woow, excellent response
I never thought this could be the hassle as I´m positive the VSX-1120 does upscale SD sources,
and great to know that the new players provide such thing..
I´ll try out the BDP-440 once I have it and let you know..
thanks a lot again
jleholeho is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-07-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bakerwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 2,861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenshprince View Post

Pioneer Picture Quality.
The perfect amount of sharpness and softness, with realistic colors.

Trust me this is not unique to Pioneer. My personal concern with any transport is whether or not the picture is accurate. The perfect amount of sharpness and softness, with realistic colors is subjective to the viewer.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

bakerwi is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Member
 
Frenshprince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That's true.
It's about your own referencial.

I 've been worhing in broadcast industry fo twelve years, and I'm the one of those who think that a picture doesn't need to be processed by a Player, if it has already been (lightly) processed in mastering.

That's why I like the Pioneer PQ, and don't like the Oppo PQ.

With Oppo, you have to adjust settings to get something nice.
With Pioneer, in source direct, it's pefect, and totally similar as the master.

Maybe it's also the case with the new marantz, or Denon, or panasonic.
But it wasn't two years ago.
Frenshprince is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
b curry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: on the way to Hell, Michigan USA
Posts: 2,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenshprince View Post

That's true.
It's about your own referencial.

I 've been worhing in broadcast industry fo twelve years, and I'm the one of those who think that a picture doesn't need to be processed by a Player, if it has already been (lightly) processed in mastering.

That's why I like the Pioneer PQ, and don't like the Oppo PQ.

With Oppo, you have to adjust settings to get something nice.
With Pioneer, in source direct, it's pefect, and totally similar as the master.


Maybe it's also the case with the new marantz, or Denon, or panasonic.
But it wasn't two years ago.

Seems like a rather odd comment as it has been acknowledged in this thread that the new Pioneer's do not have a "Source Direct" mode. I reference post #415, source direct form the horse's mouth.

Both of the Oppo's, the BDP-83 and BDP-93 have "Source Direct".

Edit: The Oppo DBP-95 also has a "Source Direct" mode.
b curry is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Member
 
Frenshprince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You're right, and its my big dispointment with those new models.

Therefore, my review was based on older players, like the bdp51fd.
I dont have experience enough with the BDP-140 to affirm it's as good at 1080p as it could be in "source direct".

But I can say for sure, that I prefer its PQ than the Oppo 93.
Frenshprince is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bakerwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 2,861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenshprince View Post

That's true.
It's about your own referencial.

I 've been worhing in broadcast industry fo twelve years, and I'm the one of those who think that a picture doesn't need to be processed by a Player, if it has already been (lightly) processed in mastering.

That's why I like the Pioneer PQ, and don't like the Oppo PQ.

With Oppo, you have to adjust settings to get something nice.
With Pioneer, in source direct, it's pefect, and totally similar as the master.

Maybe it's also the case with the new marantz, or Denon, or panasonic.
But it wasn't two years ago.

I respect your preference for the Pioneer instead of the Oppo and agree that a transport should not be processing the picture, but ALL players do some type of processing at their default settings unless you are using source direct. The Oppos past and present at their default settings has one of the most accurate pictures out of the box. This has been commented on by reviewers and a few ISF calibrators. I previously owned an Oppo BDP-83, a Pioneer BDP-51FD and a Denon DVD-3800BDCI and out of these three players the Oppo was the most accurate per my ISF calibrator; meaning it required the least amount of tweaking for reference on my Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD.

All the tweaking you had to do to your Oppo was to get it to your liking whether accurate or not. In the end we only need please our eyes.

I presently own an Oppo BDP-95, Sony BDP-S5000ES and 2 BDP-320s and in order of preference it’s the Oppo, Pioneer and then the Sony.

Last, are you saying that you had to make adjustments to the Oppo in source direct? At least that is what your statement implies.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

bakerwi is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilian.ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ex-50Hz, now 60Hz
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post

Hi there,

as an ex-50Hz, maybe you can help me out a little bit...

Hi, since you're getting the 440 I'll not specifically focus on the 430.

Generally speaking, for NTSC 480i60 DVDs, you would want the player to output 480i or 480p, AVR with Marvell to upscale 1080p60, or if the AVR's chip can do IVTC, 1080p24. I don't think Pioneer players can do IVTC, hence you would not expect 1080p24 output.

For PAL 576i50 DVDs, player should output 576i or 576p, AVR to upscale to 1080p50. You certainly would not want player to output 1080p24 from PAL DVDs.

If the AVR's chip does better de-interlacing than player, then if possible have player to output 480i or 576i. Not having a source direct option makes this rather cumbersome switching from DVDs to Blu-rays.

Setting 'Auto' in player usually results in player outputting the maximum 1080p resolution so this is not suitable if you want AVR to upscale.

I don't have a Pioneer AVR but I have an external video processor. This and my Pioneer plasma can upscale 480p or 576p 'progressive' input as well as 480i and 576i 'interlace' to 1080p60 or 1080p50. Generally player not outputting 480i/576i 'interlace' should not be a problem for scaling as such: it only matters for de-interlacing.

Big C in post #540 says "In order for the Marvell in your VSX-1120-K to upscale, 480i must come from the player." Whether this is a peculiar behaviour of the Pioneer AVRs I can't comment further.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Kilian.ca is offline  
Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
specuvestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think there's a big difference between scaling first then deinterlacing, vs deinterlacing first then scale?
specuvestor is offline  
Old 10-08-2011, 01:09 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member
 
cwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nsw australia
Posts: 1,229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post

I think there's a big difference between scaling first then deinterlacing, vs deinterlacing first then scale?

Agree entirely ; its hard to get the deinterlacing algorithm right as you have to combine weaving the frames and blending the frames to get say a superior motion adaptive process . When bob deinterlacing techniques are used you only get 1/2 the field resolution ; one of my hd pvr's use this technique unfortunately so I only record 1080i channels with it to avoid a progressive output
cwt is offline  
Old 10-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Senior Member
 
jleholeho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bratislava, SVK, EU
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

Hi, since you're getting the 440 I'll not specifically focus on the 430.

Generally speaking, for NTSC 480i60 DVDs, you would want the player to output 480i or 480p, AVR with Marvell to upscale 1080p60, or if the AVR's chip can do IVTC, 1080p24. I don't think Pioneer players can do IVTC, hence you would not expect 1080p24 output.

For PAL 576i50 DVDs, player should output 576i or 576p, AVR to upscale to 1080p50. You certainly would not want player to output 1080p24 from PAL DVDs.

If the AVR's chip does better de-interlacing than player, then if possible have player to output 480i or 576i. Not having a source direct option makes this rather cumbersome switching from DVDs to Blu-rays.

Setting 'Auto' in player usually results in player outputting the maximum 1080p resolution so this is not suitable if you want AVR to upscale.

I don't have a Pioneer AVR but I have an external video processor. This and my Pioneer plasma can upscale 480p or 576p 'progressive' input as well as 480i and 576i 'interlace' to 1080p60 or 1080p50. Generally player not outputting 480i/576i 'interlace' should not be a problem for scaling as such: it only matters for de-interlacing.

Big C in post #540 says "In order for the Marvell in your VSX-1120-K to upscale, 480i must come from the player." Whether this is a peculiar behaviour of the Pioneer AVRs I can't comment further.

Thanks a lot for a brief excursion...
I´m out of town for the weekend but I´ll certainly play with it tomorrow evening as I´m curious about why would Pio AVR want to upscale only 480i source...it doesn´t make sense to me too...especially as it is being advertised as 1080p upscaling from ANY source...not to mention that we´re talking about Pioneer´s own goddamn BD player...are they totally crazy when they don´t include there the 480i option in HDMI video out though they are aware that´s the only usable source for AVR´s Marvell in terms of upscaling..?
I guess I´m gonna get rid of all the Pioneer stuff I have in my home and bid some biiiiiiig farewell...
jleholeho is offline  
Old 10-09-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilian.ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ex-50Hz, now 60Hz
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Canadians be prepared for major rip off and delay:

BDP-140 USD199.99 but CAD299.99 (still 'pre-order')!
BDP-52FD not listed on Pio CA site
BDP-53FD USD499, listed on Pio CA site but no price - realistically don't expect to see it before X'mas or even Jan 2012, I'd say CAD599 at least.

SC-55 USD1700 CAD? only listed but no product page two months after launch in US, same with SC-57
but note FS re-branded version SC1526K is already CAD1999.99!

Last year: SC-35 USD1700, CAD2400 IIRC! FS version SC1525 CAD1999.99

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Kilian.ca is offline  
Old 10-09-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
David Susilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 9,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Canadian pricing for Pioneer and Panasonic have always been a rip-off towardds Canadians. At least on the Poneer side, you'll get an extra year warranty.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

David Susilo is offline  
Old 10-10-2011, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post

Thanks a lot for a brief excursion...
I´m out of town for the weekend but I´ll certainly play with it tomorrow evening as I´m curious about why would Pio AVR want to upscale only 480i source...it doesn´t make sense to me too...especially as it is being advertised as 1080p upscaling from ANY source...not to mention that we´re talking about Pioneer´s own goddamn BD player...are they totally crazy when they don´t include there the 480i option in HDMI video out though they are aware that´s the only usable source for AVR´s Marvell in terms of upscaling..?
I guess I´m gonna get rid of all the Pioneer stuff I have in my home and bid some biiiiiiig farewell...

In order to take advantage of a video processor's full ability to deinterlace and upscale, you must send 480i/576i signals to it. Remember. By pressing the HDMI button on the BDP-440's remote, you can easily choose 480i/576i output and let your VSX-1120-K's Marvell processor do all the work. Then just switch the BDP-440 back to 1080p whenever you play a Blu-ray disc. Also, in the VSX-1120-K's video settings, you can choose to have everything converted to 1080p 24FPS. The days of players like the BDP-430 are now over and Pioneer has returned to their glory days!
Big C is offline  
Old 10-10-2011, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
When I checked for new firmware by having the player look for it online, it didn't find any. I guess that's because this player is still brand new. The problem is that when no firmware is found, the player appears to freeze and I need to unplug the player and plug it back in again. I'm pretty sure I tried every button on the remote. If I'm wrong, let me know. If I'm right, I thought that walkamo should know.
Big C is offline  
Old 10-10-2011, 05:03 AM
Senior Member
 
jleholeho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bratislava, SVK, EU
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

In order to take advantage of a video processor's full ability to deinterlace and upscale, you must send 480i/576i signals to it. Remember. By pressing the HDMI button on the BDP-440's remote, you can easily choose 480i/576i output and let your VSX-1120-K's Marvell processor do all the work. Then just switch the BDP-440 back to 1080p whenever you play a Blu-ray disc. Also, in the VSX-1120-K's video settings, you can choose to have everything converted to 1080p 24FPS. The days of players like the BDP-430 are now over and Pioneer has returned to their glory days!

Yup, I do look forward to check that out...
I´m picking up the BDP-440 later today, will post then..
Fortunately, I sold BDP-430 yesterday on eBay, I had to relist it 4 times and lower the price as nobody would buy it...
thanks anyway

so, just got back from Vienna with brand new BDP-440...
build quality seems pretty good, the player is much thicker than BDP-430, though weight is probably the same...maybe few grams more...
initial setup screen looks fresher and nicer, web services (only YouTube and Picasa here in EU) run fast and look allright...
menu selection is wider, individual video adjust, etc.
overall speed is muuuuch faster than BDP-430, open/close is instant, loading speed is excellent...(I set Quick Response to YES in menu)

remote is pretty much the same, few more buttons (HDMI, Zoom...)
responsiveness is average, maybe I need to change the batteries as they might be older out of the box...

playback:
few chapters of:
Ratatouille, 300 (BDs) -excellent as usual, though BDP-430 (despite all the hate) was pretty good in BDs too...
Big Lebowski (DVD) -maybe better than average, nothing special to be honest...(the truth is there is no BD player in the world capable to play the DVD in "near HD" quality...it will always be DVD and Bluray...the two just can`t get anywhere near each other in my opinion...

I`m just little concerned about the thing I discussed with Big C before:
though there really is HDMI button on the remote, which really does switch the resolution instantly and the options start at "480i/576i", I`m still unable to get what I want...I`m starting to think that my VSX-1120 is faulty or something...
first off, when you push HDMI button on the remote, it does what intended but you can`t see actual change...neither on player`s display, nor on TV...you simply don`t know what resolution you just set...pretty weird
since my LG full HD THX plasma always shows actual resolution, I can see that with DVD and setting HDMI video out on player to 480i/576i and Res in Video Parameter on VSX-1120 to 1080p/24Hz doesn`t do anything as assumed...the resolution on my TV still shows 576i/50Hz...once I change the Res on VSX-1120 to 1080p, it does its job and my TV shows 1080p/50Hz....again, I have 1080p/24Hz full HD THX plasma...what`s wrong?

Big C: I also tried to update the firmware over the network just out of curiosity and it really looks like frozen screen, but there`s clearly visible REV button sign as a way back...once you push the REV button, it should go back to menu, it did on mine...

I can confirm that the player plays .mkv (x264 DTS audio codec) out of NTFS 8Gb USB flash...audio is immediately sent to the VSX-1120 and properly decoded (DTS shown on AVR`s display)

Also, the player is 100/240V, 50/60Hz, PAL/NTSC out of the box...interesting...

that`s my initial brief description...
jleholeho is offline  
Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post

Yup, I do look forward to check that out...
I´m picking up the BDP-440 later today, will post then..
Fortunately, I sold BDP-430 yesterday on eBay, I had to relist it 4 times and lower the price as nobody would buy it...
thanks anyway

so, just got back from Vienna with brand new BDP-440...
build quality seems pretty good, the player is much thicker than BDP-430, though weight is probably the same...maybe few grams more...
initial setup screen looks fresher and nicer, web services (only YouTube and Picasa here in EU) run fast and look allright...
menu selection is wider, individual video adjust, etc.
overall speed is muuuuch faster than BDP-430, open/close is instant, loading speed is excellent...(I set Quick Response to YES in menu)

remote is pretty much the same, few more buttons (HDMI, Zoom...)
responsiveness is average, maybe I need to change the batteries as they might be older out of the box...

playback:
few chapters of:
Ratatouille, 300 (BDs) -excellent as usual, though BDP-430 (despite all the hate) was pretty good in BDs too...
Big Lebowski (DVD) -maybe better than average, nothing special to be honest...(the truth is there is no BD player in the world capable to play the DVD in "near HD" quality...it will always be DVD and Bluray...the two just can`t get anywhere near each other in my opinion...

I`m just little concerned about the thing I discussed with Big C before:
though there really is HDMI button on the remote, which really does switch the resolution instantly and the options start at "480i/576i", I`m still unable to get what I want...I`m starting to think that my VSX-1120 is faulty or something...
first off, when you push HDMI button on the remote, it does what intended but you can`t see actual change...neither on player`s display, nor on TV...you simply don`t know what resolution you just set...pretty weird
since my LG full HD THX plasma always shows actual resolution, I can see that with DVD and setting HDMI video out on player to 480i/576i and Res in Video Parameter on VSX-1120 to 1080p/24Hz doesn`t do anything as assumed...the resolution on my TV still shows 576i/50Hz...once I change the Res on VSX-1120 to 1080p, it does its job and my TV shows 1080p/50Hz....again, I have 1080p/24Hz full HD THX plasma...what`s wrong?

Big C: I also tried to update the firmware over the network just out of curiosity and it really looks like frozen screen, but there`s clearly visible REV button sign as a way back...once you push the REV button, it should go back to menu, it did on mine...

I can confirm that the player plays .mkv (x264 DTS audio codec) out of NTFS 8Gb USB flash...audio is immediately sent to the VSX-1120 and properly decoded (DTS shown on AVR`s display)

Also, the player is 100/240V, 50/60Hz, PAL/NTSC out of the box...interesting...

that`s my initial brief description...

Hmmm. I woder if the Marvell in the VSX-32 Elite version is a little more capable (now it's the VSX-1121-K and VSX-52 for 2011). Thanks for testing the firmware-via-network procedure for me. I'll have to try that! Because you have the VSX-1120-K, you really should set the BDP-440's Digital Out and HDMI Audio to PCM so that you could take advantage of multi-channel PQLS. I don't think the VSX-1120-K's PQLS function will work when bitstreaming. You sound like you're pretty happy. When you were upset before and about to say goodbye to your Pioneer stuff, I thought you ment your VSX-1120-K. I guess you ment the BDP-430. I never got one because I knew that Pioneer was basicly just adding their signature features to Sharp players, as opposed to making their own players for a while, and the lack of 480i via HDMI was the killer.
Big C is offline  
Old 10-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
purdyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: California
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post


I can confirm that the player plays .mkv (x264 DTS audio codec) out of NTFS 8Gb USB flash...audio is immediately sent to the VSX-1120 and properly decoded (DTS shown on AVR`s display)

Also, the player is 100/240V, 50/60Hz, PAL/NTSC out of the box...interesting...

that`s my initial brief description...

What was the resolution on the mkv?

Maybe you could try an external hdd?

What about flac? It seems to me it should be supported

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/pr...-BDP-LX55.html

and what of an iso file?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1054653...59481092242562

Is the manual the same as is currently downloadable from pioneer usa?
purdyd is offline  
Old 10-10-2011, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilian.ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ex-50Hz, now 60Hz
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post

...when you push HDMI button on the remote, it does what intended but you can`t see actual change...neither on player`s display, nor on TV...you simply don`t know what resolution you just set...pretty weird
since my LG full HD THX plasma always shows actual resolution, I can see that with DVD and setting HDMI video out on player to 480i/576i and Res in Video Parameter on VSX-1120 to 1080p/24Hz doesn`t do anything as assumed...the resolution on my TV still shows 576i/50Hz...once I change the Res on VSX-1120 to 1080p, it does its job and my TV shows 1080p/50Hz....again, I have 1080p/24Hz full HD THX plasma...what`s wrong?...

If DVD is PAL 576i50 no consume device can or should convert it to 24p. It can upconvert it to 1080i50 or 1080p50. Fifty fields or 25 frames do not fit into 24 frames easily.

If DVD is NTSC 480i60 it should at least output 1080i60 or 1080p60. Outputting 1080p24 would require the vp chip to do inverse telecine, which isn't the case in every chip.

In your above scenario, it looks like your DVD is PAL and the AVR is doing it correctly by not outputting 1080p24. Try an NTSC DVD and see.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Kilian.ca is offline  
Old 10-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
purdyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: California
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see pioneer japan has some info up on the lx55 and 440

http://pioneer.jp/blu-ray/comparison/index.html

http://pioneer.jp/blu-ray/bdp_lx55/index.html

Flac only on the lx55

And no iso as far as i can tell
purdyd is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 03:18 AM
Senior Member
 
jleholeho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bratislava, SVK, EU
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

Hmmm. I woder if the Marvell in the VSX-32 Elite version is a little more capable (now it's the VSX-1121-K and VSX-52 for 2011). Thanks for testing the firmware-via-network procedure for me. I'll have to try that! Because you have the VSX-1120-K, you really should set the BDP-440's Digital Out and HDMI Audio to PCM so that you could take advantage of multi-channel PQLS. I don't think the VSX-1120-K's PQLS function will work when bitstreaming. You sound like you're pretty happy. When you were upset before and about to say goodbye to your Pioneer stuff, I thought you ment your VSX-1120-K. I guess you ment the BDP-430. I never got one because I knew that Pioneer was basicly just adding their signature features to Sharp players, as opposed to making their own players for a while, and the lack of 480i via HDMI was the killer.

Yup, I´m sure the player is overall much better than BDP-430...I´ll play with it more today...maybe the design would fit more with the new AVR - probably EU VSX-2021 (blue lights on VSX-1120, red light on BDP-440)...I´ll post some pics tonight...
not to forget, though, the remote is a REAL CRAP in terms of responsiveness...I changed the batteries and you literally need to point it directly to the player, otherwise it´s totally useless...how about yours? the guy in Vienna store told me to come if anything´s wrong, I guess it may be broken a little bit, though I´m not sure how could it be...the box seemed perfect, all in its own place nice and tidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

What was the resolution on the mkv?

Maybe you could try an external hdd?

What about flac? It seems to me it should be supported

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/pr...-BDP-LX55.html

and what of an iso file?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1054653...59481092242562

Is the manual the same as is currently downloadable from pioneer usa?

The .mkv file was 5.3Gb 720p x264 movie, the player upscaled it to 1080p as I could see the resolution on my TV. I still need to try my 320Gb external HDD, gotta bring it back from my friend...Haven´t tried ISO or FLAC yet.
And yes, the manual looks pretty much the same as the one on Pio USA site...with errors, of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

If DVD is PAL 576i50 no consume device can or should convert it to 24p. It can upconvert it to 1080i50 or 1080p50. Fifty fields or 25 frames do not fit into 24 frames easily.

If DVD is NTSC 480i60 it should at least output 1080i60 or 1080p60. Outputting 1080p24 would require the vp chip to do inverse telecine, which isn't the case in every chip.

In your above scenario, it looks like your DVD is PAL and the AVR is doing it correctly by not outputting 1080p24. Try an NTSC DVD and see.

This is what I needed to know
Thanks for explanation...you´re right, the DVD is EU PAL, as long as the player is still DVD reg 2, I´m unable to try some of my NTSC DVDs...
any future info of DVD multiegioning firmware will be highly appreciated...with BDP-430, I was given the MR firmware file by Sevenoaks London over the web..
jleholeho is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post

Yup, I´m sure the player is overall much better than BDP-430...I´ll play with it more today...maybe the design would fit more with the new AVR - probably EU VSX-2021 (blue lights on VSX-1120, red light on BDP-440)...I´ll post some pics tonight...
not to forget, though, the remote is a REAL CRAP in terms of responsiveness...I changed the batteries and you literally need to point it directly to the player, otherwise it´s totally useless...how about yours? the guy in Vienna store told me to come if anything´s wrong, I guess it may be broken a little bit, though I´m not sure how could it be...the box seemed perfect, all in its own place nice and tidy



The .mkv file was 5.3Gb 720p x264 movie, the player upscaled it to 1080p as I could see the resolution on my TV. I still need to try my 320Gb external HDD, gotta bring it back from my friend...Haven´t tried ISO or FLAC yet.
And yes, the manual looks pretty much the same as the one on Pio USA site...with errors, of course



This is what I needed to know
Thanks for explanation...you´re right, the DVD is EU PAL, as long as the player is still DVD reg 2, I´m unable to try some of my NTSC DVDs...
any future info of DVD multiegioning firmware will be highly appreciated...with BDP-430, I was given the MR firmware file by Sevenoaks London over the web..

I'm having the same issue with the remote as well! However, try setting the remote of your VSX-1120 to BD and use it to control the BDP-440. I get better results. This leads me to believe that Pioneer needs to redesign the player's remote and offer a replacement remote as part of warranty service. Another thing: See if you can get your 440 to output DSD as 176.4 KHz PCM. If so, please let us know how you set your receiver and player. Thanks.
Big C is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Being that these new players appear to be made directly by Pioneer, I tried their standard DVD player and Blu-ray player multi-region procedures. Literally nothing! After seeing manuals and parts lists to their HTiBs, I notice that they are manufactured by LG. I'm wondering if it's the case with these players.
Big C is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Has anyone looked on theback or package of this player? Was it made in Japan, China, Thailand, Molasia, Europe, or the US? Maybe we should start contacting the Pioneer headquarters located wherever these players were built. I know when I contacted Pioneer of Thailand regarding the DV-49AV and DV-58AV, I felt that I got better answers than here in the US. I'm assuming it's because that was where those players were built. I'm wondering if we could find the source of these players, maybe contacting them directly might get certain issues addressed quicker.
Big C is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:04 AM
Senior Member
 
jleholeho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bratislava, SVK, EU
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

I'm having the same issue with the remote as well! However, try setting the remote of your VSX-1120 to BD and use it to control the BDP-440. I get better results. This leads me to believe that Pioneer needs to redesign the player's remote and offer a replacement remote as part of warranty service. Another thing: See if you can get your 440 to output DSD as 176.4 KHz PCM. If so, please let us know how you set your receiver and player. Thanks.


I´m not sure how to try it, guide me a little bit please..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

Being that these new players appear to be made directly by Pioneer, I tried their standard DVD player and Blu-ray player multi-region procedures. Literally nothing! After seeing manuals and parts lists to their HTiBs, I notice that they are manufactured by LG. I'm wondering if it's the case with these players.

What procedures did you try?
Also, what video settings did you find as the best? (video mode, noise, color space)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

Has anyone looked on theback or package of this player? Was it made in Japan, China, Thailand, Molasia, Europe, or the US? Maybe we should start contacting the Pioneer headquarters located wherever these players were built. I know when I contacted Pioneer of Thailand regarding the DV-49AV and DV-58AV, I felt that I got better answers than here in the US. I'm assuming it's because that was where those players were built. I'm wondering if we could find the source of these players, maybe contacting them directly might get certain issues addressed quicker.

Mine is made in CHINA...all the Pio Elite AVRs in US + VSX-1120,1121 and higher models in EU (SC-..., VSX-LX54,55, VSX-2020,2021)are made in MALAYSIA
all the BD players, no matter the level or market intended for, are made in CHINA
jleholeho is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
realzven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

Has anyone looked on theback or package of this player? Was it made in Japan, China, Thailand, Molasia, Europe, or the US? Maybe we should start contacting the Pioneer headquarters located wherever these players were built. I know when I contacted Pioneer of Thailand regarding the DV-49AV and DV-58AV, I felt that I got better answers than here in the US. I'm assuming it's because that was where those players were built. I'm wondering if we could find the source of these players, maybe contacting them directly might get certain issues addressed quicker.

from this pics the 140 is made in china


the 440 is made in china


the LX55 is made in china


the 52FD is made in china


the 53FD is made in china
realzven is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:22 AM
Member
 
andersos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Södra Vallgrund, Finland
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post

This is what I needed to know
Thanks for explanation...you´re right, the DVD is EU PAL, as long as the player is still DVD reg 2, I´m unable to try some of my NTSC DVDs...
any future info of DVD multiegioning firmware will be highly appreciated...with BDP-430, I was given the MR firmware file by Sevenoaks London over the web..

If you want MR right now and are willing to pay for it you can get a diy kit here :

http://www.bluraychip.dk
andersos is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Senior Member
 
jleholeho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bratislava, SVK, EU
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersos View Post

If you want MR right now and are willing to pay for it you can get a diy kit here :

http://www.bluraychip.dk

Thanks for that, I´m not sure if you´re directly from bluraychip.dk but I already did talk to them last month in order to get the DVD MR ONLY firmware file and I was told to wait until it appears on the web...as I don´t need BD region free, only DVD, that´s usually a matter of a firmware file (cca 60Mb), no DIY procedure whatsoever...and I´m definitely not willing to pay for it
jleholeho is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:41 AM
Member
 
andersos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Södra Vallgrund, Finland
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No I don't work for them. I need MR Blu-ray so guess I'll pay
andersos is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Senior Member
 
jleholeho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bratislava, SVK, EU
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersos View Post

No I don't work for them. I need MR Blu-ray so guess I'll pay

Ok, well I guess that´s the only option...what do you need BD reg free for??
You can get every movie on BD from Amazon.co.uk or any other big UK site without need to order from the US...they have pretty much the same to offer...
jleholeho is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 07:07 AM
Member
 
andersos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Södra Vallgrund, Finland
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's possible to get most movies from UK for nice prices, but there are always a few that are better or only released in the USA so far and are region A only. For example the Criterion collection Blu-rays.
andersos is offline  
 

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Bdp 140 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Lg 55lx9500 55 1080p 480hz 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg , Blu Ray Players , Pioneer Blu Ray Player Bdp 140
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off