AVS Forum banner
502K views 2K replies 235 participants last post by  Mega Drive 
#1 ·
Ok, so last year was a bit of a dud with the Sharp merger and then the rushed-to-market 3D players. So let's see what this year brings.

Bad product shots are all I've seen so far, but the new look is very nice, and consistent across the range. They also match the new VSX and SC receivers.

BDP-140

BDP-440

BDP-LX55

BDP-140:

3D Playback
SACD Support

Network Functions (DLNA, YouTube etc...)

PC File Playback (DivX plus HD etc)

iControl AV2 Control App

Quick Response

Wi-Fi Connection (Via Optional Adaptor)

Sound Retriever Link

Stream Smoother Link

BDP-440 adds

PQLS Bitstream Multi-Channel

Aluminium Front Panel

IP Control

BDP-LX55 adds
QDEO Video Processor
Twin HDMI Outputs

RS232 Connection

High Grade Audio Parts

Armoured Chassis

This is all preliminary information only.

Judging by the specs, I think this year seems a lot more interesting. They tick all the requirement boxes for 3D, DLNA, networking.

SACD support not only in the high-end, but all the way down to the entry level player is a nice touch. That alone goes a fair way in separating the brand from the Panasonic/Samsung/LG brands towards an enthusiast market without alienating the mass market.

The LX / Elite model actually stands out this year. Twin HDMI is a proper high-end feature. Upgraded video processing is a proper high-end feature.

The weak model appears to be the mid-range BDP-440. Not much that distinguishes it from the entry-level BDP-140. If I'd been in charge I would probably have canned the wifi for the 140 just to set it apart. Or included the wifi dongle with the 440.

Estimated recommended retail prices

BDP-140 - $199

BDP-440 - $299

BDP-LX55 - $399-$499 (There's probably two Elite versions but only one LX)

See less See more
#54 ·
I would curious to know if Chris Walker even works for Pioneer anymore. He went silent right before the whole Kuro loss and the change over to the Sharp built Blu-ray players.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/20667217

I can't imagine anyone buying Pioneer after the 05/51 models.

why? the BDP-23/320 is a follow up to the 05/51 models with faster loading time, far less dodgy disc recognition, better upscaling. The only drawback on the 23/320 is the lack of WM8740 DACs.

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/20682992

He did as of about 45 days ago. I have his cell number somewhere and will call him.

Let us know if you speak with him. He was such a valuable asset to this site and for us Pioneer fans. I really hope that he can shed some light on these new players!

#59 ·
If Pioneer could combine the streaming apps and dlna recognition (hello WMA lossless) of the Panasonic BDT210 and combine it with the video of the Oppo BDP-93 plus traditional Pioneer fantastic audio in the Elite, Pioneer would be on a great start to regaining lost ground.

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/20705418

Anyone get an updates on this?

No word from Walkamo here.

Maybe these models will only be available overseas then. Bumber! I don't know that for sure, but it's the only reason I could think of that there has been no word on these new players regarding a North American release.

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C /forum/post/20708338

Maybe these models will only be available overseas then. Bumber! I don't know that for sure, but it's the only reason I could think of that there has been no word on these new players regarding a North American release.

CEDIA is just around the corner. If there will be a US release of these players I am sure there will be something there.

#63 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMan34 /forum/post/20710642

CEDIA is just around the corner. If there will be a US release of these players I am sure there will be something there.

At the beginning of this thread, someone stated that these players have an Oppo look to them. If the LX55 or its North American equivalent was made by Oppo's company, BBK, then it would be like an Oppo with PQLS, a true winner!

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C /forum/post/20721732

At the beginning of this thread, someone stated that these players have an Oppo look to them. If the LX55 or its North American equivalent was made by Oppo's company, BBK, then it would be like an Oppo with PQLS, a true winner!

That would be cool! I for one would happy if it was built like my HD1, (which I still use in m y theater). That would be awesome! Sure the HD1 is slow and does not work with a DTS-MA track but it is a rock solid player and a true Pioneer build!

#68 ·
Ive being hoping Pio would release a BDP with twin-HDMI outs.I dont want to get rid of a yr old AVR just to pass through a 3D signal.Now im happy getting a new TV.My concern was playing 3D films & not being able to hear the DTS MA or TRUE HD sountracks.The HD2D is whats most important,but it would have stuck in the back of my head,not having the original STs,even though converted PCM/DTS & DD are acceptable,if i have a 3D TV,3D bd & i can seperate the soundtrack by sending it to the AVR i dont see the need to buy another one.

#71 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo
No more Urushi finish? That's just dumb of Pioneer in dropping their signature look.
As many of you know, I'm visually impaired, read Braille, and use screan magnification and verbal output. Are you saying that Pioneer dropped the style to their components in which the front panel was divided in half by a bezel? I'll really miss that!

#73 ·
Remember the good old SD days with the Pioneer DV-563A, DV-578A, DV-588A, and possibly the DV-46AV, DV-48AV, and DV-49AV? They were nice players, but I don't believe their front panels were divided in half by bezels. So should we really judge these newer players and receivers by this change in appearance? Just a thought.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo /forum/post/20735119

No more Urushi finish? That's just dumb of Pioneer in dropping their signature look.

Keep in mind the differences between European and domestic elite models. The pictured LX55 has white or light blue leds. The Elites domestically have the black urushi finish and amber leds. The same is true for the European LX receivers and the SC Elites domestically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.