Pioneer Blu-ray players 2011 - BDP-140/BDP-440/BDP-LX55/BDP-53FD - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1842 Old 01-09-2012, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderMyWheels View Post

... - No samba (Windows networking) support.

Which player supports samba?
Players usually support DLNA.
Quote:

- ... no component video ... outputs.

This is no longer allowed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1842 Old 01-09-2012, 02:21 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

- There's a button on the remote that supposedly lets me toggle between the CD/Stereo/5.1 layers on SACD's. It doesn't work on any of the discs I've tried. (Not much of a problem for me personally though, since it plays the 5.1 track by default and that's usually what I prefer anyway.)

Have you tried to use the button after stopping playback instead of during playback? That was the suggestion in a previous message in this thread...
post #1143 of 1842 Old 01-09-2012, 02:44 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrome64 View Post

Have you tried to use the button after stopping playback instead of during playback? That was the suggestion in a previous message in this thread...

That worked ! Thank you.
I have read most of this thread, but I missed that info.
post #1144 of 1842 Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drSeehas View Post

Which player supports samba?
Players usually support DLNA.

This is no longer allowed.

HTPC's support samba, so why shouldn't Blu-ray players support samba ?
With samba I get instant direct access to every file on every computer/server in my network. I don't have to install/setup any server software or mess with a pointless library/database layer that sits on top of the windows file system.

And there are many newly manufactured Blu-ray players in stores that still come with analog component video outputs. They only differ from older players in that the analog component video signal is downscaled to 480p when playing a copy protected Blu-ray disc. Unprotected discs and other video media (mkv, upscaled DVD) are not downscaled.
post #1145 of 1842 Old 01-10-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:

HTPC's support samba, so why shouldn't Blu-ray players support samba ?

Maybe because HTPC's run a PC operating system.
Again: Which player supports samba?

With component video you are right.
post #1146 of 1842 Old 01-13-2012, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi guys

I need some advice before buying a new blu-ray player and thought i would ask in this thread because right now the BDP-LX55 is highest on my list of potential buy candidates. I`m debating over either the LX55 or the OPPO BDP-93 and i can`t really decide which one to go with.

Right now i own a Pioneer BDP-51FD and i have been very satisfied with this player so far except for the blu-ray disc startup time which is one of the main reasons i`m upgrading. Simply, i want a new player that`s faster than the 51FD and also has USB ports. Support for DIVX/XVID material is also desired.

Here in Sweden where i live the Pio goes for approx. $520 and the OPPO for $950 so there`s quite a difference in price.

So my questions are,

1. Have anyone here had the chance to compare these two players and what`s your thoughts?

2. I`m mostly interested in how they perform PQ wise on blu-ray/DVD material so any noticeable differences in this matter?

3. How does the LX55 handle DivX/Xvid material?

Any help is highly appreciated
post #1147 of 1842 Old 01-14-2012, 03:40 AM

A new euro BDP-140 owner here, with pretty much a straight from the box configuration, I'm a little disappointed with it. I know it's a budget player, but my other HD sources are a STB getting on for 6 years old (although my 6th gen pio display was calibrated with it) and a nearly as old Toshiba HD-E1 HD DVD player. Unfortunately, at the moment these are giving me (subjectively) a better PQ

My main PQ issues are:

1. what looks like noise/processing artifacts in large areas of similar colour e.g clouds. (I don't get this with my other sources) - resolved via tv/player settings
2. poor black level differentiation (again not an issue with my other sources)

I have noise reduction set to zero - so that's an obvious candidate for change! What are the downsides to applying noise reduction?

I've the color space set to YCbCr 4:4:4, as this is what my calibrated STB uses and seems to give more natural colors than 4:2:2. I don't think my display supports extended RGB.

All other settings are at their defaults. Any suggestions as to how I can overcome the issues above?

Resolved! Thanks for all the help!!!!

Also, the current version of the euro firmware seems a little buggy:

When browsing DLNA sources it confuses photos with videos
It can hang when browsing a long file name
Playing files it doesn't like can cause it to hang
It won't send 1080p24 to my display although it accepts 1080p24 inputs

and finally, to top it all off, the euro version doesn't contain the Netflix app.
post #1148 of 1842 Old 01-14-2012, 06:20 AM

Hello

This is my first message. It is a pleasure to greet you.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes but do not speak English so this is a Google translation.

Today I could try the bdp 440 and the picture on DVD is better than the PS3. It's great.

But I had a problem and so I had to return to the store. The issue is that when playing original music 3 cds (Tubular Bells 2, Seal and U2's War) music sounded bad. It was a very unpleasant noise, a kind of unbearable gggggggsssssss and U2 sounded almost too sharp and severe. After returning to the store, these 3 cds I have tried it on a bdp 140 and was the same, but the 3 CDs also been tested in a dedicated CD player they had in the store and it sounded perfectly at home sound perfectly well.

Can anyone tell me why this might be it or if you it sounds good music on CD?

I've connected to a receiver Pioneer VSX 521

Thank you very much.
post #1149 of 1842 Old 01-14-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post

Hi guys

I need some advice before buying a new blu-ray player and thought i would ask in this thread because right now the BDP-LX55 is highest on my list of potential buy candidates. I`m debating over either the LX55 or the OPPO BDP-93 and i can`t really decide which one to go with.

Right now i own a Pioneer BDP-51FD and i have been very satisfied with this player so far except for the blu-ray disc startup time which is one of the main reasons i`m upgrading. Simply, i want a new player that`s faster than the 51FD and also has USB ports. Support for DIVX/XVID material is also desired.

Here in Sweden where i live the Pio goes for approx. $520 and the OPPO for $950 so there`s quite a difference in price.

So my questions are,

1. Have anyone here had the chance to compare these two players and what`s your thoughts?

2. I`m mostly interested in how they perform PQ wise on blu-ray/DVD material so any noticeable differences in this matter?

3. How does the LX55 handle DivX/Xvid material?

Hi there,

1.,2. I`m sure some folks from this thread did compare the two (at least US BDP-53FD vs Oppo), try to check some previous posts...and I think there are not many differencies in PQ with SD/HD material...both players sport Qdeo upscaling, both are quality devices...
3. I have the BDP-440 and it handles all compressed media very well...I haven`t encountered with any difficulties yet...1080p MKVs, .mp4, .m2ts, .m4v, x.264/H.264 audio, HD audio formats on .m2ts, subs no problem too...

These players perform pretty good PQ/SQ wise, however there are some pretty bad bugs present...a lot of people wait for updates...check some previous posts again...
post #1150 of 1842 Old 01-14-2012, 09:04 AM

My second day with the 440 and while in theory it does what it says on the tin I am getting hit by audio and video dropouts when the network cable is connected... It's really painful with CDs as it seems to happen more frequently...
This must be fixed!
post #1151 of 1842 Old 01-14-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrome64 View Post

My second day with the 440 and while in theory it does what it says on the tin I am getting hit by audio and video dropouts when the network cable is connected... It's really painful with CDs as it seems to happen more frequently...
This must be fixed!

This has been the main problem with the player ever since it hit the shelves in Oct. 2011...Pioneer have been UNABLE to do anything about it for last 3+ months...disgusting
post #1152 of 1842 Old 01-14-2012, 03:28 PM

Hello.

On the problem of audio CDs that I mentioned above, I
read that the BDP 440, 140 and LX55 have problems with the CDs
Warner label. Any holder of BDP 440 or 140 may prove
Warner a CD to check if it works well the sound?

The ones I have failed my record company is Warner.

thanks
post #1153 of 1842 Old 01-16-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysurferox11 View Post

Hello.

On the problem of audio CDs that I mentioned above, I
read that the BDP 440, 140 and LX55 have problems with the CDs
Warner label. Any holder of BDP 440 or 140 may prove
Warner a CD to check if it works well the sound?

The ones I have failed my record company is Warner.

thanks

I have played the only CD I have of the three you mention (U2's War - the recent remaster on Universal) and I did not hear anything strange... Same sound as on the other CD players...
post #1154 of 1842 Old 01-17-2012, 05:27 AM

Thank you.

Tomorrow I get another drive in the 440 and I will check if the
problem was in the drive I had in the first trade.
post #1155 of 1842 Old 01-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Hello guys,

Past week I bought a Pioneer VSX-51 receiver and I got the BDP-440 as a bundle. I have a PS3 that I'm using it as my blu-ray player now.

My question is, what are the main differences between these two players ? AQ/PQ ?

Thanks!
post #1156 of 1842 Old 01-18-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagovlira View Post

Hello guys,

Past week I bought a Pioneer VSX-51 receiver and I got the BDP-440 as a bundle. I have a PS3 that I'm using it as my blu-ray player now.

My question is, what are the main differences between these two players ? AQ/PQ ?

Thanks!

Since, you have both in your possession let your eyes and ears be the judge. Anything we offer here would be subjective to our respective setups.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #1157 of 1842 Old 01-18-2012, 06:45 AM

Hello again.

After discussing the problems of reading the label Warner CD in a Spanish forum, another user confirms to me that indeed he too bad CDs sound signature in the 440 and Warner has a service complaint with the Pioneer.

http://www.forodvd.com/tema/98427-bd...55/index6.html

Can anyone confirm this?

thanks
post #1158 of 1842 Old 01-18-2012, 12:19 PM

Hello - I have a very quick question.

I have most (not all) of my Blurays burned as ISO files that play to Dune units in other parts of my house as well as I have an older Pioneer Elite 51FD. I want to purchase another Bluray player, but was wondering if some of my existing ISO files can be read to either the 43FD or the 53FD. The manual for the 43FD is unclear on this and only makes reference to USB "devices" and MKV files, etc.
Essentially I would want to connect an external USB hard drive to the back of the unit.

Thanks.
post #1159 of 1842 Old 01-18-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myraid View Post

Hello - I have a very quick question.

I have most (not all) of my Blurays burned as ISO files that play to Dune units in other parts of my house as well as I have an older Pioneer Elite 51FD. I want to purchase another Bluray player, but was wondering if some of my existing ISO files can be read to either the 43FD or the 53FD. The manual for the 43FD is unclear on this and only makes reference to USB "devices" and MKV files, etc.
Essentially I would want to connect an external USB hard drive to the back of the unit.

Thanks.

I guess you thought either 52FD or 53FD...
43FD is an older model...
I`m not sure about ISO files as I`m not using them but SATA plugged in the rear USB definitely works fine...
post #1160 of 1842 Old 01-19-2012, 04:13 PM

Well, I can confirm that indeed does not read any CD label
Warner.

The ones I tested are:

Mike Oldfield:

Tubular Bell II
Tubular Bells III
Tubular Bells 2003
The Millennium Bell
Tr3s Lunas
The Song of Distant Earth

The Corrs:

in Blue
Talk on Corners
Forgiven, not forgotten
Borrowed Heaven

Seal (Seal album) ...

At this point I have left to prove.

I will pass this problem to solve it Pioneer because I
seems a serious problem.
post #1161 of 1842 Old 01-20-2012, 07:53 AM

Hey guys,

does anyone have some info on how to make these players DVD-ONLY multiregion??
I`ve been having a hard time getting this capability for last few months...
Some UK retailers sell all three models DVD-MR out of a box for free, they just won`t respond to my questions...
My original retailer in Vienna doesn`t have a clue about it..
I`m not looking for some hardware mods allowing the player for complete BD + DVD region free, they`re just way too expensive
I`m positive DVD-only MR feature is either made by some remote with special codes or a software on USB to be run thru player..t

the player has a lot of bugs, I`m getting tired of Pio responses of how they passed it over to Japanese engineers, blah blah....
ability to watch my reg. 1 DVDs would be a tiny remedy in the meantime (who said the bugs will ever be fixed, right?)
post #1162 of 1842 Old 01-20-2012, 03:49 PM

Can someone help me out hear I have a Pioneer BDP-53 and the iPad app iControlAV2 it's not letting me power on my BDP-53 it's giving me an Error and I have a Cat5 going to it.THANKS
post #1163 of 1842 Old 01-20-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1890 View Post

Can someone help me out hear I have a Pioneer BDP-53 and the iPad app iControlAV2 it's not letting me power on my BDP-53 it's giving me an Error and I have a Cat5 going to it.THANKS

the app just probably sucks sometimes...I don`t use fruits myself but I read some articles about it not properly working...
Pioneer is the developer in this case, contact them...
post #1164 of 1842 Old 01-24-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagovlira View Post

Hello guys,

Thanks!

To be honest the main difference is that the PS3 operates every time in the same reliable way. With this Pioneer thing it is a lottery. In a couple of weeks I have had all sorts of problems:

- drop-outs,
- AV receiver shutting down the HDMI as if the player is not sending anything,
- player being on but not responding to remote or front panel buttons (I could fix this only disconnecting the power cable),

Another issue is how the player responds to the remote: if you press buttons quickly the TV screen will show the icon but the command will not work. For example if you press the "close tray" button on the remote you will see the tray icon on the screen but the tray will not close. To actually close the tray you need to press and keep pressed for a while. I find myself pressing again and again because I am not used to a remote working this way.

Then add FLAC playing only if named mp3 and all the other things mentioned in this thread, the bottom line is that the software in this box is absolute crap. I would strongly suggest people not to buy the LX models built on the same software. If you do not need a BluRay player with SACD and DVD-A support then stay away from this thing.

Specs are nothing if they are not implemented reliably. Pioneer is now in my brand blacklist. If they feel they can put their name on something that operates so unreliably then I don't want to deal with them anymore.

PS: I could not make the IControlAV2 Android app connect to the player a single time! It crashes when trying to connect. Another piece of Pioneer branded software crap!
post #1165 of 1842 Old 01-24-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysurferox11 View Post

Well, I can confirm that indeed does not read any CD label
Warner.

I will pass this problem to solve it Pioneer because I
seems a serious problem.

This thing seems really strange. Warner has CDs manufactured in many different plants and it seems unreasonable that they all have the same incompatibility with this player. The same plants are also used by other labels. There is no such thing as a "Warner CD" in terms of physical disc.
post #1166 of 1842 Old 01-24-2012, 06:09 AM

Just looking at the last few pages in this thread, I find myself being really sad...
It´s been a half year since the BDP-140 was released, more than 4 months since the BDP-440/52FD hit the market, LX-55/53FD followed within 2 months...
and there is simply NOTHING...NOTHING coming up from Pioneer to at least gradually fix the issues...just casual responses like "we have passed these issues over to our Japanese engineers and can´t comment any further on this as of yet"...my a$$!
I´ve always liked Pio products, their approach (AVRs), their looks...
but with such a POOR customer service, they´re just a dead brand for any rational customer...unless he´s kind of a masochist...
Where exactly has Chris Walker lost himself? I remember some of his promising posts about what´s next...sadly, it appears there isn´t and apparently WON´T be any "next" with these players...
Where is Roel Donckers from Pio EU headquarters? He responded to me in November 2011 and said he should be back with AVR drop-outs solution...haven´t heard from him ever since...
The only inevitable solution is getting rid of the players...though I´m not sure there will be some buyers eventually...
post #1167 of 1842 Old 01-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post

Just looking at the last few pages in this thread, I find myself being really sad...
It´s been a half year since the BDP-140 was released, more than 4 months since the BDP-440/52FD hit the market, LX-55/53FD followed within 2 months...
and there is simply NOTHING...NOTHING coming up from Pioneer to at least gradually fix the issues...just casual responses like "we have passed these issues over to our Japanese engineers and can´t comment any further on this as of yet"...my a$$!
I´ve always liked Pio products, their approach (AVRs), their looks...
but with such a POOR customer service, they´re just a dead brand for any rational customer...unless he´s kind of a masochist...
Where exactly has Chris Walker lost himself? I remember some of his promising posts about what´s next...sadly, it appears there isn´t and apparently WON´T be any "next" with these players...
Where is Roel Donckers from Pio EU headquarters? He responded to me in November 2011 and said he should be back with AVR drop-outs solution...haven´t heard from him ever since...
The only inevitable solution is getting rid of the players...though I´m not sure there will be some buyers eventually...

They (Pioneer) sure are trying the patience of all those that have remained loyal. But patience has its limitations, as Pio may soon find out. And once that loyalty is spurned, well, good luck in any efforts to win it back. That is a long, hard road to go down.
post #1168 of 1842 Old 01-25-2012, 01:41 AM

This is Pio EU response to my last email:

"It's been a while since we contacted you about the problem of AV receivers
powering off while LAN was connected. It took a long time collect data
when this problem occurred, to investigate the root cause of this problem
and then to reprogram the firmware to fix this problem. The last 3 weeks
we tested a beta firmware. It needed to be so long because we wanted to
make sure that it solves this issue and this problem could occur a few
times a day or only once a week, so testing took quite long.

Since 23 jan 2012 however, firmware 0.112 is made available for service
center to fix this issue:

VERSION : 0.112 (MAIN: 1.009, SUB: 1.207, DSP: 1.003) released on Jan 23,

Fixes the following issues.
- The power turns off and on automatically when connecting to certain BDP
(BDP-440/52FD,
Philips BDP8000, etc.) with LAN (Related QI : B1067206)

VSX-1020-K/FLXCN
VSX-1020-K/SYXCN5
VSX-1020-K/UXCNCB
VSX-1025-K/CUXCN
VSX-1025-K/SYXCN5
VSX-30/UXCNCB
VSX-31/UXCNCB
VSX-920-K/AXCN5
VSX-920-K/FLXCN
VSX-920-K/SYXCN5
VSX-925-K/CUXCN
SC-35/UXJCB
SC-1525-K/CUXJ
SC-LX73/SYXJ5
SC-LX73/DLPWXJ
SC-LX73/AXJ5
SC-LX73/FXJ
VSX-33/UXJCB
VSX-32/UXJCB
VSX-1325-K/CUXJ
VSX-1125-K/CUXJ
VSX-1120-K/UXJCB
VSX-LX53/AXJ5
VSX-LX53/FXJ
VSX-LX53/SYXJ5
VSX-LX53/DLPWXJ
VSX-2020-K/SYXJ5

I'm sorry to hear that you felt the urge to sell your VSX-1120. I wanted
to be able to offer you a solution for this issue sooner. That said, the
VSX-1121 doesn't have this (or any other known) problems, so enjoy."

Interesting...

and update right after that:

"I'm sorry, I made a mistake in previous e-mail. Because of differences in
internal structure, there are 2 firmware versions available to fix the
power off issue when LAN is connected:

VERSION: 0.112

VSX-1020-K/FLXCN
VSX-1020-K/SYXCN5
VSX-1020-K/UXCNCB
VSX-1025-K/CUXCN
VSX-1025-K/SYXCN5
VSX-30/UXCNCB
VSX-31/UXCNCB
VSX-920-K/AXCN5
VSX-920-K/FLXCN
VSX-920-K/SYXCN5
VSX-925-K/CUXCN

VERSION: 0.111

SC-35/UXJCB
SC-1525-K/CUXJ
SC-LX73/SYXJ5
SC-LX73/DLPWXJ
SC-LX73/AXJ5
SC-LX73/FXJ
VSX-33/UXJCB
VSX-32/UXJCB
VSX-1325-K/CUXJ
VSX-1125-K/CUXJ
VSX-1120-K/UXJCB
VSX-LX53/AXJ5
VSX-LX53/FXJ
VSX-LX53/SYXJ5
VSX-LX53/DLPWXJ
VSX-2020-K/SYXJ5

In case of your American VSX-1020 you'll need version 0.111 Please
understand that this is not a "lower/older" version of 0.112. It's the
same firmware but for different hardware."

I´m just not sure where exactly are we supposed to get this AVR firmwares...checked both Pio EU an US web sites, nothing´s there...
I immediately replied to them, let´s see then...
As I´m out of AVR at the moment, I can´t say anything about this...though I´m curious if the guy was true about VSX-1121...I´ll see once I have it...
post #1169 of 1842 Old 01-25-2012, 03:15 AM

you should take your AVR to an authorized Pio center to do that update,?
post #1170 of 1842 Old 01-25-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantic77 View Post

you should take your AVR to an authorized Pio center to do that update,?

not sure, I asked them what to do, let´s wait a moment...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Bdp 140 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Lg 55lx9500 55 1080p 480hz 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg , Blu Ray Players , Pioneer Blu Ray Player Bdp 140
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page