Pioneer Blu-ray players 2011 - BDP-140/BDP-440/BDP-LX55/BDP-53FD - Page 41 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1201 of 1838 Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I know. A FW update is due anytime, especially with the PQLS bug that's been running around in its later batches.

for your other question, with for a PM.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1838 Old 02-16-2012, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. ::

IMHO the 4k upconversion will be a fun new feature to play with on the LX55/53FD replacement (scheduled for around late summer announcement).

will be there a new BDplayer released later this year?or pioneer can fix the 4k upconversion with a new firmware?
post #1203 of 1838 Old 02-16-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

yes, the new BD player will be released later this year (presumably after summer) and it will include 4K upscaler built into the player.

The current players can NOT be upgraded to 4K upscaler via firmware.

Cheers!

my home theatre

post #1204 of 1838 Old 02-16-2012, 02:36 PM

thanks!
post #1205 of 1838 Old 02-16-2012, 04:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

IMHO the 4k upconversion will be a fun new feature to play with on the LX55/53FD replacement (scheduled for around late summer announcement).

What I mean is that products plagued by dozens of software bugs are not fun regardless of whatever new and improved technical specification you add to them.

The 2011 line is a disaster. I had to go back to my PS3 for BluRay playback on the basis of the fact that it works while the BDP-440 doesn't.
post #1206 of 1838 Old 02-16-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, quite honestly, from my personal experience, everything else except for the BDP-53 are truly "nothing to write about". Unfortunately even the BDP-53 later batches are plagued with PQLS / sound dropout issues. Fortunately for me (and most of my clients) we bought the first batch of BDP-53 and to this day (touch wood) we didn't have any problem whatsoever.

my home theatre

post #1207 of 1838 Old 02-16-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Well, quite honestly, from my personal experience, everything else except for the BDP-53 are truly "nothing to write about". Unfortunately even the BDP-53 later batches are plagued with PQLS / sound dropout issues. Fortunately for me (and most of my clients) we bought the first batch of BDP-53 and to this day (touch wood) we didn't have any problem whatsoever.

How can you tell which batch you got? Build date? I just picked up a new 53FD, which so far doesn't seem to have any issues, but I haven't done anything with it except play a couple of BRs. My build date is Dec.
post #1208 of 1838 Old 02-16-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice! 4K upconversion would be cool. Maybe I will hold off then on a 53FD. The HD1 is still chugging along nicely!

Go Celtics!
post #1209 of 1838 Old 02-16-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post

How can you tell which batch you got? Build date? I just picked up a new 53FD, which so far doesn't seem to have any issues, but I haven't done anything with it except play a couple of BRs. My build date is Dec.

Mine and most of my clients' batches (maybe about 30 of them) are from October, November and early December mfg dates (the "early" December is just an assumption because the printout says Dec mfg date and they were purchased them on late December).

The later Dec mfg seems to have sound dropout issues when using PQLS, the January mfg date have sound dropout issues even when NOT using PQLS.

I always strongly recommend BDP-53, but with the problems with January mfg date (all purchased in February, so far 5 out of 5 are having the exact problem: sound dropouts even without PQLS turned on), I'm starting to become a bit afraid in recommending the 53.

my home theatre

post #1210 of 1838 Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMan34 View Post

Nice! 4K upconversion would be cool. Maybe I will hold off then on a 53FD. The HD1 is still chugging along nicely!

My HD1 can play most movies but my review copy of The Immortals and Johnny English Reborn which I received last week can't be played (both titles make my HD1 eternally says "LOADING" and I had to unplug the BD player and re-power on while pressing the eject button frantically to take the discs out)

my home theatre

post #1211 of 1838 Old 02-16-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:

The later Dec mfg seems to have sound dropout issues when using PQLS, the January mfg date have sound dropout issues even when NOT using PQLS.

Is the PQLS solely for CDs, or is it used for Blu Ray as well? I don't listen to CDs or SACDs, but I don't see the PQLS light come on when I watch BRs, and I have the 53FD mated to an SC-05.
post #1212 of 1838 Old 02-17-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:

Mine and most of my clients' batches (maybe about 30 of them) are from October, November and early December mfg dates (the "early" December is just an assumption because the printout says Dec mfg date and they were purchased them on late December).

I always strongly recommend BDP-53, but with the problems with January mfg date (all purchased in February, so far 5 out of 5 are having the exact problem: sound dropouts even without PQLS turned on), I'm starting to become a bit afraid in recommending the 53.

My EU BDP-440 was mfd in October 2011, some of the first EU batches ever...apart from the AVR´s LAN associated drop-outs (extensively analyzed in previous posts) and POOR remote sensor responsiveness, the player works flawlessly...that´s basically the reason I haven´t got rid of it yet...
and as we might have read before, Pio EU (hopefully) showed some devotion and promised solutions on this...
I´m still waiting for the VSX-1121 (it´s just arrived to my friend in Maryland at the moment, i should have it here in EU within 2 weeks) to complete the system...if it´s true what Pio EU said, then the AVR drop-outs shouldn´t occur with 2011 AVRs...then my only trouble remains the damn remote...which, however is most likely a hardware problem, so no firmware update will fix it...I guess I´ll get some cheap iPod Touch 2g or newer in order to control it with iControlAV2...
otherwise, the BD, CD, DVD playback is still fantastic, no PQLS issues while I had the VSX-1120 connected, compressed media out of USB stick play fantastic, DLNA pretty much works as intended...
the last tricky thing for me is damn DVD multiregion capability, I´ve been unable to get it ever since I bought the player...recently, I got some very good tips from some UK fellas with special remotes which are confirmed to finally make it...then I guess I´ll be happy for some time...
post #1213 of 1838 Old 02-17-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Quote:

yes, the new BD player will be released later this year (presumably after summer) and it will include 4K upscaler built into the player.

The current players can NOT be upgraded to 4K upscaler via firmware.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMan34 View Post

I have a friend in the industry who recently saw a 4K demonstration and he stated that 4K has the most benefit for those using projectors. He said when viewing 4K on a screen less than 80 inches you will probably not notice any difference between 4K and 1080p unless you know exactly what to look for and even then it could be placebo. He also stated that many will see a difference between 4K and 1080p on displays less than 80 inches is because they know they should see a difference.

I personally have been following the evolution of 4K and I am probably 2 years out from requiring such a feature in a transport and it would have to be projected on a large screen. Also, there is no media to view in this format. For those who think you are going to see a difference between 4K and 1080p on your 70 displays and at the required sitting distance you may be in for a disappointment.

Home Theater Magazine has done a pretty good job (IMO) explaining the evolution of 4K and its benefits. Their February issue is a good read and here is a direct quote "the benefits of native 4K are immediately obvious on a 20-foot or larger screen. But do you really want 4K on a smaller screen at home". I don't personally know anyone that owns a screen 20-feet (240 inches) or larger given the room size requirements of such a screen.

I recommend reading the Home Theater Magazine if you have it available, because it really demystifies 4K. Everyone wants the next best greatest thing even if we can't see or hear the difference.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #1214 of 1838 Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

I have a friend in the industry who recently saw a 4K demonstration and he stated that 4K has the most benefit for those using projectors. He said when viewing 4K on a screen less than 80 inches you will probably not notice any difference between 4K and 1080p unless you know exactly what to look for and even then it could be placebo. He also stated that many will see a difference between 4K and 1080p on displays less than 80 inches is because they know they should see a difference.

I personally have been following the evolution of 4K and I am probably 2 years out from requiring such a feature in a transport and it would have to be projected on a large screen. Also, there is no media to view in this format. For those who think you are going to see a difference between 4K and 1080p on your 70 displays and at the required sitting distance you may be in for a disappointment.

Home Theater Magazine has done a pretty good job (IMO) explaining the evolution of 4K and its benefits. Their February issue is a good read and here is a direct quote "the benefits of native 4K are immediately obvious on a 20-foot or larger screen. But do you really want 4K on a smaller screen at home". I don't personally know anyone that owns a screen 20-feet (240 inches) or larger given the room size requirements of such a screen.

I recommend reading the Home Theater Magazine if you have it available, because it really demystifies 4K. Everyone wants the next best greatest thing even if we can't see or hear the difference.

I believe one of these articles is what you are referring to:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/4k-revolution

http://www.hometheater.com/content/hollywood-4k-way

Both are good reads about 4K and its impact on us enthusiasts.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #1215 of 1838 Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM

post #1216 of 1838 Old 02-17-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post

My EU BDP-440 was mfd in October 2011, some of the first EU batches ever...apart from the AVR´s LAN associated drop-outs (extensively analyzed in previous posts) and POOR remote sensor responsiveness, the player works flawlessly...that´s basically the reason I haven´t got rid of it yet...
and as we might have read before, Pio EU (hopefully) showed some devotion and promised solutions on this...

Let's see... I will write my "apart from" list... my BDP-440 works flawlessly apart from:

- HDMI signal suddenly disappears completely (both video and audio)
- Opening the tray may lead to complete crash
- Video/audio drop-outs do not allow me to watch a BluRay disc for more than 30 or 40 minutes without disturbances
- Remote works only if button mashing
- Some audio CDs are unlistenable because of audio distortion
- It doesn't play FLAC files as promised in the spec sheet unless I rename each single file in my library of 22,000 FLAC files

So apart from being unusable it is a great piece of kit!

post #1217 of 1838 Old 02-17-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I believe one of these articles is what you are referring to:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/4k-revolution

http://www.hometheater.com/content/hollywood-4k-way

Both are good reads about 4K and its impact on us enthusiasts.

David,

I have both issues for these articles and they were both excellent and very informative. I think many think 4K is the magic bullet for video, but this is highly dependent on your setup.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #1218 of 1838 Old 02-17-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrome64 View Post

Let's see... I will write my "apart from" list... my BDP-440 works flawlessly apart from:

- HDMI signal suddenly disappears completely (both video and audio)
- Opening the tray may lead to complete crash
- Video/audio drop-outs do not allow me to watch a BluRay disc for more than 30 or 40 minutes without disturbances
- Remote works only if button mashing
- Some audio CDs are unlistenable because of audio distortion
- It doesn't play FLAC files as promised in the spec sheet unless I rename each single file in my library of 22,000 FLAC files

So apart from being unusable it is a great piece of kit!

I'm really sorry to hear this but I definitely suggest to take the player back to store and ask for a new piece or get the money back...
where'd you get it?
seems like a really messy batch... I've never had an issue with picture or sound dropping out over HDMI..also, every CD I threw in played just fine...
post #1219 of 1838 Old 02-17-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

David,

I have both issues for these articles and they were both excellent and very informative. I think many think 4K is the magic bullet for video, but this is highly dependent on your setup.

Willie

I agree completely. 4K is also a Pandora box. Even the slightliest out of focus in the movie capture will be highly distracting. The same goes with lens' chromatic abberations, less-than-perfect make up, they are all will be amplified greatly.

Furthermore, dirty lens, any un-even-ness of the screen, will impact the image greatly.

4K is completely unforgiving.

my home theatre

post #1220 of 1838 Old 02-18-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:

I'm really sorry to hear this but I definitely suggest to take the player back to store and ask for a new piece or get the money back...
where'd you get it?
seems like a really messy batch... I've never had an issue with picture or sound dropping out over HDMI..also, every CD I threw in played just fine...

I thought the same with CDs when the other guy reported the problem. Mine seemed to work but eventually I found some that didn't. If you use it as CD player sooner or later you will find CDs that don't play.
I don't think that swapping this unit for another will be beneficial. Basically I am keeping it because so far it can play DVD Audio discs and SACDs which is what I can't do with my much more reliable PS3.
post #1221 of 1838 Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrome64 View Post

I thought the same with CDs when the other guy reported the problem. Mine seemed to work but eventually I found some that didn't. If you use it as CD player sooner or later you will find CDs that don't play.
I don't think that swapping this unit for another will be beneficial. Basically I am keeping it because so far it can play DVD Audio discs and SACDs which is what I can't do with my much more reliable PS3.

Yep, I`ll see about that...
matter of fact, most of the music I listen to thru the player are mp3s or FLACs, either from my PC via DLNA or on USB...
and once the VSX-1121 is here, I guess I`d prefer to do this straight thru the AVR...
but yes, the player definitely has a lot of unfixed bugs, the biggest pro for me is its ability to play 1080p compressed media (MKVs, MP4s, m2ts) from NTFS formatted eSATA...
there`s not many players capable of doing this properly for 213 EUR, which is the price I paid for it...

the closest step-up for me would be Oppo BDP-93, the lowest price, however, is cca 500 EUR...and that`s the price I paid for the VSX-1121 shipped to Europe...I wouldn`t really fancy paying the same price for BDP as I paid for AVR...it just should be cheaper
post #1222 of 1838 Old 02-19-2012, 07:28 AM

I recently purchased the BDP440. When i watch almost everything it is fine.

However, when watching Boardwalk Empire it leaves two small icons at the top of the screen. One is like a small speaker and the other is 'PIP'. I cant find anything to get rid of them.

It doesn't happen if i watch the bluray on PS3 or another player so it must be the BDP440.

Any ideas at all??
post #1223 of 1838 Old 02-19-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Go to setup menu and turn angle mark to off

my home theatre

post #1224 of 1838 Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Go to setup menu and turn angle mark to off

Amazing.. Thank you!
post #1225 of 1838 Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 AM

Ever since I installed my new BDP (Pioneer BDP-140), my receiver has been shutting off and then turning right back on (Pioneer VSX 1020-K). This will happen while watching a movie or watch TV via our HDMI cable box. It seems to be not have a pattern as last night while watching a movie it was fine, however today while watching a movie and TV it shut off 4 times in an span of 3 or so hours.

I've tried different outlets on our smart power bar as well as directly from the wall. What could be the problem?

I tried to search this thread but I can't find a 1020 reference.

EDIT:

I found the replies in this thread about the problem. Has anyone actually updated their receivers firmware via an authorized dealer? If so, did it fix it?

I spoke to a dealer that is 160 miles from me in another State, they charge $110 for the update. I'm wondering if I should just return the bdp-140 and get a Samsung BDP?
post #1226 of 1838 Old 02-20-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOgden View Post

Ever since I installed my new BDP (Pioneer BDP-140), my receiver has been shutting off and then turning right back on (Pioneer VSX 1020-K). This will happen while watching a movie or watch TV via our HDMI cable box. It seems to be not have a pattern as last night while watching a movie it was fine, however today while watching a movie and TV it shut off 4 times in an span of 3 or so hours.

I've tried different outlets on our smart power bar as well as directly from the wall. What could be the problem?

I tried to search this thread but I can't find a 1020 reference.

Try to search more
the LAN-associated AVR drop-outs issue has been one of the most severe problems handled in this thread...
basically, your BDP-140 has a classic bug of 2011 Pio BDPs, which inflicts occasional turn-offs and ons of your AVR since BOTH devices are connected to your home network...it doesn´t matter if you´re on HDMI, Internet radio, Bluetooth, USB, anything....even if the player is switched off, but its LAN connection is present, it will happen to your AVR over and over...
until Pioneer will do something about it...
the only suggestion is to unplug the LAN cable from one of your devices...otherwise, it hits you sometimes once in a 3 hours, sometimes once in a 30 minutes...I had the very same situation with my VSX-1120 last year...
or get some of 2011 Pio AVRs...they confirmed it shouldn´t be a problem with those...I have yet to receive my VSX-1121, will confirm it then...

PS: Pioneer HAVE NOT been able to do anything about it for the last 5 months...
post #1227 of 1838 Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:

Try to search more
the LAN-associated AVR drop-outs issue has been one of the most severe problems handled in this thread...
basically, your BDP-140 has a classic bug of 2011 Pio BDPs, which inflicts occasional turn-offs and ons of your AVR since BOTH devices are connected to your home network...it doesn´t matter if you´re on HDMI, Internet radio, Bluetooth, USB, anything....even if the player is switched off, but its LAN connection is present, it will happen to your AVR over and over...
until Pioneer will do something about it...
the only suggestion is to unplug the LAN cable from one of your devices...it will help but you won´t be able to listen to Int. radio and browse your collection via DLNA on your player at the same time...it hits you sometimes once in a 3 hours, sometimes once in a 30 minutes...I had the very same situation with my VSX-1120 last year...
or get some of 2011 Pio AVRs...they confirmed it shouldn´t be a problem with those...I have yet to receive my VSX-1121, will confirm it then...

PS: Pioneer HAVE NOT been able to do anything about it for the last 5 months...

Thank you for posting that, if all I have to do is unplug my LAN connection, that is great. I wonder, if this trully is a problem, If I put the BDP on a different VLAN if this would fix the problem? I'll have to try this.
post #1228 of 1838 Old 02-20-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOgden View Post

Thank you for posting that, if all I have to do is unplug my LAN connection, that is great. I wonder, if this trully is a problem, If I put the BDP on a different VLAN if this would fix the problem? I'll have to try this.

Yep, no problem...
if you have more networks in your house and plug the BDP to different one than your AVR is on, it´ll definitely solve this...
but the principle is, this issue SHOULD NOT be there whatsoever..poor Pio...
post #1229 of 1838 Old 02-20-2012, 07:31 AM

I wonder what it is exactly that is causing the conflict? You've found that this works for you (having one item removed from the LAN)?
post #1230 of 1838 Old 02-20-2012, 07:42 AM

jOgden,

I have confirmed disconnecting my AVR (Pioneer SC-35) from the LAN solves the problem. Pioneer has also confirmed that it is a network problem and a firmware update is available to fix it on the receiver side. I'm not using the network connectivity features of my SC-35 so unplugging it for me was a better solution than paying to have my firmware upgraded at an authorized repair facility.

-Curtiss
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Bdp 140 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Lg 55lx9500 55 1080p 480hz 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg , Blu Ray Players , Pioneer Blu Ray Player Bdp 140
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page