Pioneer Blu-ray players 2011 - BDP-140/BDP-440/BDP-LX55/BDP-53FD - Page 45 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1321 of 1844 Old 04-25-2012, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"PCM"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1844 Old 04-25-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky007FR View Post

"PCM"

As Linear PCM captures and encodes audio without lossy compression, in theory it should be better in sound quality then bitstream......
post #1323 of 1844 Old 04-25-2012, 05:47 AM

If you compare "HD" bitstream like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA and LPCM, they are the same quality : there is no loss in the compression for the both.
post #1324 of 1844 Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky007FR View Post

If you compare "HD" bitstream like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA and LPCM, they are the same quality : there is no loss in the compression for the both.

Ok, LX55 is running ok and did the software update.
One "strange" thing, the 55 will not remember when i select PCM or bitstream !
When i turn off the 55 it allways comes back with PCM......
What am i missing ?

Found the problem, i had bitstream on Digital Audio and on HDMI, that is not correct and the player will correct this to put both back on PCM.
If i want PCM or Bitstream on HDMI i must select OFF for Digital Audio and then the player will do HDMI PCM or Bitstream what ever i select
post #1325 of 1844 Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

As Linear PCM captures and encodes audio without lossy compression, in theory it should be better in sound quality then bitstream ...

There is lossy and lossless (FLAC, MLP, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio) compression.
With lossless compression, the sound quality is exactly the same as with Linear PCM.
post #1326 of 1844 Old 04-26-2012, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drSeehas View Post

There is lossy and lossless (FLAC, MLP, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio) compression.
With lossless compression, the sound quality is exactly the same as with Linear PCM.

Indeed my ears tell also there is no differents.........
Thx
post #1327 of 1844 Old 04-27-2012, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I find the audio volume output to be om the low side from the LX55.....

I run most BD and DVD on -25 and some DVD's i can play on 0 (full power) !!
I use the VSX 921, think that has enough power so what is wrong, or is this normal ?

PS. i tried Bitstream and PCM, Bitstream seems to me to be more dynamic but on both the volume must go far up compared to TV, music or Internet radio.

EDIT 28-4

Found that the volume output "problem" is on the receiver side, in the receiver are various modes that can be put ON or OFF and will make a differents.
Also making the channel level output +5 dB (well i did +5 dB, i can go higher) will do a part of the trick, and now i am much happier

Compared to the Sony BD player S550 i had before, this LX55 is a step from Hell to Heaven !
post #1328 of 1844 Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 AM

With latest firmware, playing legal DVD (Drive, zone 3) I got this popup

Firmware's bug?
How to inform Pioneer?
post #1329 of 1844 Old 04-30-2012, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutthilr View Post

Firmware's bug?
How to inform Pioneer?

Pioneer support:
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/su...ntactform.html

What does Cinavia technology do?

Some releases of movies, television shows and other professionally produced video (such as those shown in movie theaters, on commercial airliners, and in hotels’ “on-demand” movie services) are intended for duplication and playback on professional equipment only.

Other releases (such as most Blu-ray Disc, DVD, and authorized downloads over the Internet) are meant for use on consumers’ in-home and mobile devices, but are not meant for copying by consumers, or are only permitted to be copied in limited ways (for example, to a limited number of computers, recordable discs, or devices).

Cinavia technology is used in Blu-ray Disc players to identify and limit the use of copies of these movies, television shows, and other professionally produced videos that have been made without the permission of the copyright owner.

How does Cinavia technology work?

Movies protected by Cinavia technology carry inaudible codes embedded by the copyright owner in their audio tracks that indicate where and how they are allowed to be used.

For example, movies that are being released to theaters can carry a Cinavia code that indicates that they are supposed to be duplicated by professional replicators and played back on professional projection equipment only.

Movies that are released on Blu-ray Disc, DVD, or by authorized download services, can carry a different Cinavia code, indicating that these movies are intended for use by consumers, but with limitations regarding whether or how they can be copied.

The Cinavia codes are designed to stay in the audio tracks wherever they appear, including after they are copied, converted to different formats, or captured by a camcorder.

Blu-ray Disc players read Cinavia codes from the audio track of video that they are playing or copying and may limit the use of the video when certain unauthorized uses are identified. Playback or copying of unauthorized copies may be stopped or audio may be muted, depending on which Cinavia code is found and what operation is being performed. This may include limiting the unauthorized use of the audio tracks that accompany professionally produced videos in home movies and other personal recordings. Whenever the use of content is limited due to a Cinavia code, an explanatory message is provided on the video screen or on the front panel of the Blu-ray Disc player.

In any case, you can rest assured that Cinavia technology is not “watching” what you are watching. By design, it can not collect or transmit information about you, your viewing habits or media selections. Cinavia codes are not individualized to you, the media, or the devices that you own and never contain any personal or personally identifiable information.
post #1330 of 1844 Old 04-30-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Firmware's bug?
How to inform Pioneer?

What you are seeing is Cinavia copy protection.

You have an unauthorized or illegal copy of the move. You can contact Pioneer but they will simply tell you that you have an unauthorized copy and that they cannot help you.

Cinavia message codes: http://cinavia.com/languages/english.../message3.html
post #1331 of 1844 Old 04-30-2012, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I am in the dark about the LX55 having Marvell Qdeo or not ?

No mention of Qdeo on the Pioneer EU site, no mention on the box of the player or on the player, and even no mention in the manual of Marvell or QDEO........

So can someone get me back into the light please, is the player with or without Qdeo
LL
post #1332 of 1844 Old 05-01-2012, 03:32 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I am in the dark about the LX55 having Marvel Qdeo or not ?

No mention of Qdeo on the Pioneer EU site, no mention on the box of the player or on the player, and even no mention in the manual of Marvel or QDEO........

So can someone get me back into the light please, is the player with or without Qdeo

it's definitely supposed to have the Marvell Qdeo video processing, just like the higher end Pio AVRs...Pioneer strictly stated this when they put out announcements of these players, try to find the article in News section on Pio EU website, it should be there...also, the last pages in BDP-LX55's manual should state something about it.
I'm pretty sure I've seen some pictures of this player disassembled and Marvell chip was there...
post #1333 of 1844 Old 05-01-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

What you are seeing is Cinavia copy protection.

You have an unauthorized or illegal copy of the move. You can contact Pioneer but they will simply tell you that you have an unauthorized copy and that they cannot help you.

Cinavia message codes: http://cinavia.com/languages/english.../message3.html

I already mention that this DVD is ligal disc, I bought from retail shop.

May I ask? If disc that have cinavia protection it will be muted at a beginning or playing for a while?
I play this disc around 30% ot time then this popup.

Move to play with oppo 93 no problem any more.
post #1334 of 1844 Old 05-01-2012, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post

it's definitely supposed to have the Marvell Qdeo video processing, just like the higher end Pio AVRs...Pioneer strictly stated this when they put out announcements of these players, try to find the article in News section on Pio EU website, it should be there...also, the last pages in BDP-LX55's manual should state something about it.
I'm pretty sure I've seen some pictures of this player disassembled and Marvell chip was there...

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I'f been through the manual up and down but no mention about QDEO or Marvell, just the statement of upconversion to 1080P, thats it.......
I would think as this is a selling item for most customers, they would advertice this at least on the player or box, but no, the compatitors are using Marvell in the ad's, like Onkyo !
So this is why i have some concernes about the use of QDEO in the LX55.

Here the pic with the opened LX55, this guy is also not 100% sure the QDEO processor is inside !
Maybe its under the heatsink ?
LL
post #1335 of 1844 Old 05-01-2012, 02:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'f been through the manual up and down but no mention about QDEO or Marvell, just the statement of upconversion to 1080P, thats it.......
I would think as this is a selling item for most customers, they would advertice this at least on the player or box, but no, the compatitors are using Marvell in the ad's, like Onkyo !

Here the pic with the opened LX55, this guy is also not 100% sure the QDEO processor is inside !

interesting...
I suggest to contact Pio EU via their website and ask about this...that`s the only way you can find out for sure
anyway, do you have some doubts about quality of video processing in your player? I have the BDP-440 and the content I play thru it looks quite good. AFAIK the BDP-LX55 should perform even better...
post #1336 of 1844 Old 05-01-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I already mention that this DVD is ligal disc, I bought from retail shop.

Sorry, buying it from a retail shop (especially in Zone 3) does not guarantee it is a legal copy. "Drive" is a movie that is known to have Cinavia copy protection. If your movie is stopping the audio and the Message Code 3 is popping up, your machine reads the disc as an illegal copy. I travel in Zone 3 for business often and I find it almost impossible to buy a legal copy of a movie; they are most always illegal copies.

Quote:

May I ask? If disc that have cinavia protection it will be muted at a beginning or playing for a while?
I play this disc around 30% ot time then this popup.

It can mute the sound at the beginning or after it has been playing for sometime. It usually mutes after about 20-30 minutes. Cinavia can also stop play back from even beginning.

Quote:

Move to play with oppo 93 no problem any more.

Oppo does not support Cinavia, so that's why it plays with no problem.
post #1337 of 1844 Old 05-01-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

Sorry, buying it from a retail shop (especially in Zone 3) does not guarantee it is a legal copy. "Drive" is a movie that is known to have Cinavia copy protection. If your movie is stopping the audio and the Message Code 3 is popping up, your machine reads the disc as an illegal copy. I travel in Zone 3 for business often and I find it almost impossible to buy a legal copy of a movie; they are most always illegal copies.

It can mute the sound at the beginning or after it has been playing for sometime. It usually mutes after about 20-30 minutes. Cinavia can also stop play back from even beginning.

Oppo does not support Cinavia, so that's why it plays with no problem.

Thank you very much "b curry", I will ask to the company who made this disc.
post #1338 of 1844 Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

The BDP-LX55 and Elite BDP-53FD definitely do have a QDEO chip. The specific IC is Marvell 88DE2750 which is the one with the big white M printed on it, just above the heatsink in that picture. The audio DAC is a 32-bit AKM AK4480. And the SoC is a MediaTek MT8555 which is the one with a heatsink fitted.

The BDP-440 and Elite BDP-52FD however do not have QDEO processing and only have a 24-bit AK4430 DAC.
post #1339 of 1844 Old 05-02-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enitime View Post

The BDP-LX55 and Elite BDP-53FD definitely do have a QDEO chip. The specific IC is Marvell 88DE2750 which is the one with the big white M printed on it, just above the heatsink in that picture. The audio DAC is a 32-bit AKM AK4480. And the SoC is a MediaTek MT8555 which is the one with a heatsink fitted.

The BDP-440 and Elite BDP-52FD however do not have QDEO processing and only have a 24-bit AK4430 DAC.

Thanks, clear........

This is not a picture i made so i do not understand why the maker of the picture did not see this IC, to me it very clear now
Do you know when the LX55 will put out x.v. colour, what is the setting for this ?
I have a 60 inch Sharp, the new 2012 line, and it can do xv colour and xv colour should pop up in the setting list as soon as the tv will recieve a xv colour signal, but until now i never could get this.
So when is the 55 in xv colour mode ?
(the sharp will not do Deep color)

thx
post #1340 of 1844 Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Thanks, clear........

This is not a picture i made so i do not understand why the maker of the picture did not see this IC, to me it very clear now

It's probably just that it doesn't say QDEO on it anywhere. But that's the same IC used in the LX receivers as well.

Quote:

Do you know when the LX55 will put out x.v. colour, what is the setting for this ?
I have a 60 inch Sharp, the new 2012 line, and it can do xv colour and xv colour should pop up in the setting list as soon as the tv will recieve a xv colour signal, but until now i never could get this.
So when is the 55 in xv colour mode ?
(the sharp will not do Deep color)
thx

I have no idea. I haven't played with the LX55 or 2012 Sharp TVs. But this is one of those HDMI handshake things where it's difficult to figure out where the problem is. First thing I'd try is connecting the LX55 direct to the TV, not through a receiver. Use the primary output on the LX55 just in case that's an issue. Maybe try another HDMI cable if you have one.
post #1341 of 1844 Old 05-04-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enitime View Post

It's probably just that it doesn't say QDEO on it anywhere. But that's the same IC used in the LX receivers as well.

I have no idea. I haven't played with the LX55 or 2012 Sharp TVs. But this is one of those HDMI handshake things where it's difficult to figure out where the problem is. First thing I'd try is connecting the LX55 direct to the TV, not through a receiver. Use the primary output on the LX55 just in case that's an issue. Maybe try another HDMI cable if you have one.

Thanks for the reply.
From the manual the Sharp should understand when its receiving a xv colour signal and then puts xv colour in the setup manual, but only when its receiving the signal, and its not.
The 55 is connected through main, and sound is through sub so this is the most direct way.
I can try a different cable but this is a 1.3 version so xv colour is (should be) possible.

For QDEO i received a confirmation that indeed the 55 is with Marvell IC and can be found above the heatsink and the IC has a big white M printed on (see pic ^^)

EDIT 8-5-2012:

tried 3 different 1.3 HDMI cables but no xv colour on the Sharp so or the LX55 is not putting out xv colour or the Sharp manual is wrong.
Can someone confirm if his tv is getting xv colour from the BD player...........
post #1342 of 1844 Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM

hello,
someone uses the filters to the reduction of noise in the menu function of lx55?
How did you setup?
post #1343 of 1844 Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breniac View Post

hello,
someone uses the filters to the reduction of noise in the menu function of lx55?
How did you setup?

Hi, i do not understand the question, i have seen the filters but what do you want to know ?
You can turn the filters on or off, thats it.........
post #1344 of 1844 Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Can someone please confirm the BD player is putting out xv colour to his TV......
I can not get this and i am using the new Sharp 60 inch LCD 2012 serie that should put xv coulour in its setup menu as soon as it receives a xv colour signal, up to now no luck
I tried 3 different HDMI 1.3 cables, and connected direct to the tv, not through the VSX 921 receiver.
post #1345 of 1844 Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 AM

There are 4 types of filters to reduce video noise ..
and ranging in scale from 1 to 8.
I tried to use them, but I haven't seen big changes, but it's hard to see the changes and benefits of the filters because of the menu that covers the image displayed.
post #1346 of 1844 Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are 4 types of filters to reduce video noise ..
and ranging in scale from 1 to 8.
I tried to use them, but I haven't seen big changes, but it's hard to see the changes and benefits of the filters because of the menu that covers the image displayed.

Ok, clear.
I have seen improvement in some BD movies, one like Spiderman 3 that has in some parts a lot of noise and the filters will clean that out.
To much filtering will also effect the parts of the picture that do not need filtering !
The settings are not permanent as when you start a different movie the settings will be default again.
Most BD movies do not need any filters, the image should be ok but........
post #1347 of 1844 Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 AM

ok,
Bluray movies are perfect, I would use it with dvd movie ..
But which of the 4 filters should I use?
I did some tests, but I could not see differences valid ..
post #1348 of 1844 Old 05-11-2012, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok,
Bluray movies are perfect, I would use it with dvd movie ..
But which of the 4 filters should I use?
I did some tests, but I could not see differences valid ..

In the JPG you see my filter settings.
First i mentioned that the player would reset the 5 lower filters, but its not, the changes you make for say DVD will apply also to Blu ray.
I would not change the color settings, the filters that will do someting to clean out noise in the picture are MNR and BNR.
I also pushed Detail a bit up, but thats my personal taste....
Using the filters will also affect the overal picture quality so you may filter out the noise but will also loose fine detail du to the use of noise filters.
In my situation BD and DVD are perfect but some BD's or DVD's are better then others and noise on the disks can not always be corrected.

Before the Pioneer i had a Sony high end BD player and i must say for me its a step from hell to heaven !
The Sony whas slow, took a long time to load, always needit to stop the movie to open menu's, could not change anything during playback, Pioneer DVD picture quality is much better, so i am very happy

PS. some TV's have also noise filters, i would prefer to use these filters and leave the BD player at default setting but thats someting you need to try and see what will give a better result.
If possible you can use HDMI 1 for your TV box and HDMI 2 for the BD player on the TV and so set the HDMI inputs to your personal liking for BD/DVD and TV separate.
And special with this player as we can use direct picture input to the TV through the separate sound and picture output of the player
LL
post #1349 of 1844 Old 05-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Thank you CBdicX!

video noise is a problem for me since I have a projector and screen that is large the noise is more noticeable.
I will try with your settings, because I put the two filters MNR, BNR to 5 or 6 .. maybe it was exaggerated, although they do not see big improvements.
I wanted to ask one other thing, I saw that the two entries at the top of the menu you left in automatic, (pure cinema, and prog. Motion) but I put them prog. Motion = motion and pure cinema = on
As these functions would be better to set them?
Sorry for my english...
post #1350 of 1844 Old 05-12-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you CBdicX!

video noise is a problem for me since I have a projector and screen that is large the noise is more noticeable.
I will try with your settings, because I put the two filters MNR, BNR to 5 or 6 .. maybe it was exaggerated, although they do not see big improvements.
I wanted to ask one other thing, I saw that the two entries at the top of the menu you left in automatic, (pure cinema, and prog. Motion) but I put them prog. Motion = motion and pure cinema = on
As these functions would be better to set them?
Sorry for my english...

Prog Motion will only do something to video material, like stuff thats recorded with a different frame rate.
On standard recorded material it will do nothing i think.....

Pure Cinema will optimise the progressive circuit and will effect material like 1080P 24 frames (i think).

I have not tried this setting and will see if it can improve my image to my Sharp TV (60 inch LCD model 2012).
Now i need to use a Sharp Movie filter when i watch a Blu Ray and this filter improves horizontal movements, but the downside is that i get some artifacts around faces, it looks like a very small transparent bubble around faces and objects......
When i de-select the filter i get bumpy horizontal movements.
I will see tomorrow when i use Pure Cinema if it is possible to de-select the Movie filter in the Sharp.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Bdp 140 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Lg 55lx9500 55 1080p 480hz 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg , Blu Ray Players , Pioneer Blu Ray Player Bdp 140
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page